Judd Apatow Movies suck!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmlsuperman

Caped Wonder Stuns City!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I went to a showing of "Pineapple Express" last night. Needless to say the movie had 3 good laughs, all delivered by the character of RED, played by Danny McBride. I had high hopes for this one, but once again, the Judd Apatow stable of comics let me down again. Not one of his comedies are funny, and they are all 30 to 45 minutes to long. I have a soft spot for "40 Year Old Virgin" only because I work with Steve Carell on "The Office" and we would have endless conversations about that movie during shooting. But I have now put Judd Apatow films on the Netflix Queue. I just didn't see why "Knocked Up" was the funniest movie of the year, or "SuperBad" for that matter. But after PE, no more Judd Apatow theater experiences for me.

What say you?

I agree with that ^.

Pinapple is the best comedy ALL year, its action packed, AND quite funny.

What say you?

I respectfully disagree?

I don't think the appeal of Apatow's movies is in the comedy, but in that his characters are very relatable. Most people can watch an Apatow film and say "I was that guy once" or "Hey, I know that guy" to virtually any character in his films.

To me, they are funny, but I think the broader appeal is that people can relate to Apatow's characters.

I agree that he's branched way out from say Freaks and Geeks but I like all the stuff he's done with the exception of Walk Hard his weakest atempt by far.

Haven't seen Pineapple Express yet, but I love most of the other Apatow flicks(40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, etc).

I loved Walk Hard - easily the funniest film of that time. Knocked Up, Superbad, Forgetting Sarah Marshall are all top form comedy as is 40 Year Old Virgin. I liked Pineapple Express far more than Step Brothers, which I thought was abysmal.

After suffering through 40 Year Old Virgin I've yet to give another movie with his name attached a shot. I've got Pineapple Express in the netflix queue so I guess we'll see about that one...

i'm not really a fan either. with one exception- The Cable Guy (which he produced)

That was definitely pre-Apatow renaissance, comedy domination, whatever this is to be designated as. Pre- Freaks and Geeks even.

I really only like Anchorman. The others that I've seen are okay, they have great characters but are a little short on laughs. I have yet to see Walk Hard or Sarah Marshal.

I didn't know he produced the Cable Guy. I'm one of the few that likes that movie, yet it's still not as funny as Anchorman.
Aren't they making an Anchorman sequel? I hope it lives up to the original.

I really only like Anchorman. The others that I've seen are okay, they have great characters but are a little short on laughs. I have yet to see Walk Hard or Sarah Marshal.

I didn't know he produced the Cable Guy. I'm one of the few that likes that movie, yet it's still not as funny as Anchorman.
Aren't they making an Anchorman sequel? I hope it lives up to the original.

I wasn't aware of that either.

A truly great underrated comedy, and it's sad---I remember critics and fans were burning Jim Carrey alive for taking that role back then.

I wasn't aware of that either.

A truly great underrated comedy, and it's sad---I remember critics and fans were burning Jim Carrey alive for taking that role back then.

They thought it was too dark and creepy for him, but at least it's one of his more original roles. I'll take a Cable Guy sequel any day of the week over a Lair Liar sequel, I hated that movie.

Back