Final Fantasy XIII

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Remember this from E3?

Final Fantasy XIII is headed to the Xbox 360 as well as the PS3.

Trailer here: https://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19936

Well check this out:

SQUARE ENIX
"Don't Think About Final Fantasy XIII Xbox 360 Right Now"
During this past weekend's Square Enix event, Final Fantasy XIII director and scenario writer Motomu Toriyama reassured the fans that the game's development hasn't changed. What's more, he continued:

We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later.... I'm telling [the development team] to not think about the Xbox 360 right now. We can think about it after the development kits arrive... Right now, we're fully concentrating on the PS3 version.

Well that's good. The bad news is that, as GameSpot notes, the PS3 version will mostly likely be held back for that simultaneous platform release in North America and Europe. Wonder if the same will be true for Japan, where the Xbox 360 hasn't been announced. Boy, multi-platform is tricky!

Square Enix: 360 FFXIII development hasn't begun [GameSpot via EDGE]

I have played every Final Fantasy game released in the US since the first one and was extremely disappointed with XII. The stupid line that arched from the character to the enemy, the play control, the AI, the battle mode. I think I played it for maybe 30 minutes and it has been sitting in my cabinet ever since. I really hope they go back to the style of FF that I loved FF7-F10.

Anyone know anything about 13?

Well, I wouldn't get this for the 360 even if it came out first. This will be a PS3 only for me!!! God I can't wait for 2009 or 2010, whenever this game comes out!!!!!

Well I only have a 360 and don't have a PS3, although I want to get one sometime down the line. I was looking forward to this releasing on the 360 and PS3 at the same time, as I thought that's what the original announcement meant. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to get a PS3 before this comes out, if not I guess it'll be an even longer wait.

From GameSpot:
https://www.gamespot.com/news/6203284.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Final Fantasy XIII exclusive to Japan in 2009

At this year's Tokyo Game Show, Square Enix debuted a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIII, its highly anticipated role-playing game slated to arrive for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Aside from the eye candy, Square Enix's trailer also offered the tantalizing promise of a 2009 launch date.

Unfortunately, that promise of a 2009 release apparently applies only to Japan, given that the game isn't going to make it to the US or Europe until the second quarter of 2010 at the very earliest. The news emerged as Square Enix, the game's developer, delivered projections for the remainder of its current fiscal year, which ends March 31.

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada told Reuters that the game was on track for a 2009 PS3-exclusive launch in Japan, with international launches for the Xbox 360 and PS3 coming "in the business year from April 2010 or later."

FFVII was the last good one to me.

I didn't care for the style, story and characters of FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and I completely skipped FFs after that. The stupid colorful "punk-Japanese" boy styles are crap and repetitive...this used to be a series that would INNOVATE every time it came around...now it's more of the same.

FFVII was the last good one to me.

I didn't care for the style, story and characters of FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and I completely skipped FFs after that. The stupid colorful "punk-Japanese" boy styles are crap and repetitive...this used to be a series that would INNOVATE every time it came around...now it's more of the same.

Well, don't forget that the FF games are made primarily for the Japanese audience and everywhere else in the world just gets the resulting translation. I've heard a lot of complaints about the art style of the newer FF games ("It's too Japanese"), but what do you expect?

So you played FF I-VI in the original release order? I'd think most non-Japanese players grew up with I, IV, VI, then VII. Yes, II (IV) was a huge jump in quality compared with I, but honestly, FFIII (VI) wasnt revolutionary compared with II (aside from graphics and story). IMO, I think people just find VII really outstanding because of the jump to 3D graphics.. it really helped people better connect with the characters.

Square did tinker with the formula radically after VII (GFs for VIII, a throwback to classic FF with IX, the sphere system for X, a DIRECT sequel and the dressphere system for X-2, MMORPG for XI, and a 1-player pseudo-MMORPG system for XII. I'd say that's a little bit of innovation there...

what the hell...don't hold it back...who cares about the ppl who own a 360...give me my FF13 first for the ps3!!
damn, I coulda swore I read somehwere this game was due out in march...guess not anymore.

I''m probably one of the few ppl who dislikes ff7...i mean really, just because it's 3d makes it good? come on...that made it worse for me cuz everything looked like poop! I honestly like ff8 more than ff7 just because of the graphics.

So this isn't gonna be coming out till 2010 in the U.S. now? I wonder if it'll be for PS3 and 360 simultaneously when it does release, or are they still holding firm to the don't worry about 360 until it's out for PS3?

It will be released on PS3 in Japan by the end of this year. The U.S. version will be released simultaniously on Xbox 360 and PS3 (probably next year) no matter which one gets done first. That's part of the deal with Microsoft, the Xbox 360 version is coming out the same time as the PS3 version.

Well that's good news that they'll be releasing simultaneously, as it'll probably be the 360 version that I end up playing.

Them being released at the same time is probably the cause of the massive wait for North America (Square has said April 2010) The 360 version is only going to begin development once they have started localization of the NA version of the game. Which only starts when the Japanese version of the game is finished. Square Enix have a bizarre way of doing things.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/zySU8m15mFg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/zySU8m15mFg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/5tcN_Gq9nvI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/5tcN_Gq9nvI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/-YUauFz6I9A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/-YUauFz6I9A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I love the way the black guy shoots his guns :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

The game looks fantastic so far. I have a feeling I'm going to be getting the PS3 version since the game was actually designed for that system.

I love the way the black guy shoots his guns :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

The game looks fantastic so far. I have a feeling I'm going to be getting the PS3 version since the game was actually designed for that system.

Either you get the PS3 version or wait an extended amount of time for the 360 version. The game isn't being simultaneously developed for both systems. The PS3 version comes first.

This game looks pretty good so far. I'm not usually one for games that take such a long time but this one is beautiful.

Either you get the PS3 version or wait an extended amount of time for the 360 version. The game isn't being simultaneously developed for both systems. The PS3 version comes first.

It's not but the PS3 release will be delayed so that both versions can be released at the same time. But in Japan it's only coming out on PS3 and will probably be out before the end of the year.

Back