PDA

View Full Version : What movies have the BEST endings!

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Alien 3

The Mist

I kinda sorta dig Saw's ending...kinda

Se7en

Alien Res

AvP( No matter how poor the movie was, dont tell me you didnt love seeing the PredAlien...too bad the Predalien in AvP-R was a vile ugly thing)

Cloverfield

Wanted

Iron Man

The Dark Knight

Batman Begins

Batman

Voorhees27
08-03-2008, 11:56 AM
The ones with the best endings?

Shawshank Redemption (also BEST damn movie ever made)
Usual Suspects
6th Sense
TDK
T2
Rambo 4
Rocky Balboa
Goodfellas
Scarface
Blair Witch Project
Halloween (1978 of course)

too many others to think of right now

-Super Hans-
08-03-2008, 12:00 PM
sixth sense has to be the best

NASEDO
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
wait a minute, the BEST

Cloverfield, the whole movie stunk

AVP - when the predator and some dumb girl team up to fight the Alien. The Predator hunts humans, but wait this girl is cool, lets tag team up, fight this alien.

Killbeggar
08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
The 13th Warrior. Buliwyf's death is the coolest ever filmed. I turned to my friend in the theater and told him "That's how I want to die".

Pan's Labyrinth. I love films that let me make up my own mind. It's either really happy or really depressing. :D

V for Vendetta. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." 'Nuff said.

Saving Private Ryan. How do you live up to the sacrifices of so many?

Stardust. Nothing like a really great fairy tale ending.

Dungeons & Dragons. The ending wasn't great; I was just happy it ended. :D

ToyMan
08-03-2008, 12:19 PM
The best ending to a film has to be Cannibal holocaust.

Shropt
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Cloverfield had a great ending because...

Everyone dies in the end. No one ever does that.

rabidwolverine21
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
i have to say the machinist

TheObsoleteMan
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Planet of the Apes

The Maltese Falcon

The Searchers

Raiders of the Lost Ark

John Carpenter's The Thing

Bubba Ho-Tep

Blade Runner (Final Cut)

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yojimbo

Throne of Blood

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 12:38 PM
wait a minute, the BEST

Cloverfield, the whole movie stunk

AVP - when the predator and some dumb girl team up to fight the Alien. The Predator hunts humans, but wait this girl is cool, lets tag team up, fight this alien.

Cloverfield was great. I said the ending to AvP. the last 30 seconds of the movie kick ass.

artistrex
08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Richard Donner's Superman, Chris Reeve flying across the sky...priceless. Also Empire strikes back, The Falcon flying off, the rebellion on the ropes but there was still that air of hope that the good guys would prevail.

BeachBum
08-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll stick to movies that haven't been listed yet...

Casablanca
Bonnie and Clyde
Dirty Harry
Mad Max
To Live and Die in LA

EVILFACE
08-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Unforgiven

"That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned."

"All right, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sum^^^^^ takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down."

Mad Max

"The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel. It'd take you ten minutes to hack through it with this. Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes."

The Dark Knight

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

preeny101
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
If it had been the last in the series, Last Crusade.
Also,
Shawshank Redemption
Terminator 1
Batman Begins "I'll look into it"
Original NOTLD
Into the Wild
There Will Be Blood
The Godfather
Anyway, those are mine...

MaulFan
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
sixth sense has to be the best

Depends on the qualifications. Sixth sense is great, BUT only the first time when you don't see it coming. The whole movie for me, once you know what's going on, really loses a lot of impact, most of it's coolness comes from the surprise and once that's over...I find Signs to be his only movie that's enjoyable to watch even when you know the plot.

To me, for a movie's ending to be the best, it should be that the ending is great on it's own, not tied to other films in a series or anything like that.

In that instance, RAMBO's ending doesn't qualify because the greatness of it's ending comes heavily from it's relevance to the first film in the series. If RAMBO were a solo movie, the ending wouldn't be as powerful.

Also, to me, ending really is like the last 10-15 minutes of the movie at the most, the very closing scene, not like the final battle or something, but literally the moments that close it up.

To me, TDK is definitely a great one in this sense, I found the last few minutes of the movie as powerful as the first 2 and a half hours, that's a great ending to a movie.

Terminator 2 also has a good one to me, it's somewhat enhanced if you know the full story of the Terminator series, but if you just watched T2 as an independent film, the close of the story is great for the rest of the story.

LOTRFan
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, Frankenstein, Memento, Godfather I and II, Citizen Kane (Rosebuuuuuuuuud), Contact, King Kong (1938), Braveheart.

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Se7en.

Best ending EVER!

GrueSam
08-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Usual Suspects, hands down.
Then Shawshank.
http://charles-song.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/nod.gif

YoNoSe
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Shawshank Redemption for the best happy ending.

The Mist takes the cake for the most awful (that I've seen).

Gone Baby Gone for the most conflicted (intentionally).

If I have to pick one it's Shawshank. Yeah, it's manipulative melodrama, but it's melodrama at it's absolute best.

Man, Darabont is bipolar! :D :monkey2

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Usual Suspects, hands down.

http://is3.okcupid.com/users/172/916/17391746039270150387/mt1108496529.jpg

Keyser Söze !!!!!!!

Cant argue with that. Easily as great an ending as Se7en imo. Its one of my fav movies of all time, and the ending is the ultimate pay off!

Blake
08-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm sorry for those who have mentioned this, but the ending to Saving Private Ryan is one of the WORST endings of all time. I love Spielberg, but he always has to wuss out at the end of (most of) his movies with that feelgood BS. With the exception of the war scenes, most of the movie was just as crappy. Seriously, if you were tasked to bring this man home, have lost soldiers along the way, finally find him and he will not come, bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out. Because of private Ryan, a ton of people died who did not have to.

Anywhoo, my favorite endings are:

Halloween
The Blair Witch Project
Psycho
Chinatown
Memento

jungle jom
08-03-2008, 06:36 PM
No one mentioned "Planet of the Apes"?

Heston and Lady Liberty... Iconic! One of the most powerful endings in movie history.

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry for those who have mentioned this, but the ending to Saving Private Ryan is one of the WORST endings of all time. I love Spielberg, but he always has to wuss out at the end of (most of) his movies with that feelgood BS. With the exception of the war scenes, most of the movie was just as crappy. Seriously, if you were tasked to bring this man home, have lost soldiers along the way, finally find him and he will not come, bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out. Because of private Ryan, a ton of people died who did not have to.

:google :google :google

No offense, but that is the most simplistic and childish view of Saving Private Ryan I have ever heard. "Bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out", :slap

Blake
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM

No offense, but that is the most simplistic and childish view of Saving Private Ryan I have ever heard. "Bonk the bastard on the head and drag him out", :slap

None taken. It's really that simple though. In the military, you follow orders, end of story. Obviously, you can't bonk someone on the head and drag them out...however, disobeying an order from a superior seems farther fetched than my bonking scenario.

More proof that SPR blows goats - In the beginning, the movie fades from the old dude in the graveyard straight to Tom Hanks, who are not the same character. That's just lame.

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
More proof that SPR blows goats - In the beginning, the movie fades from the old dude in the graveyard straight to Tom Hanks, who are not the same character. That's just lame.

Blows goats :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

We'll agree to disagree :duff

Blake
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
We'll agree to disagree :duff

Sounds like a plan :duff

Lord Aykroyd
08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Se7en.

Best ending EVER!

:lecture :lecture

RJMacReady16
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Empire strikes back---The Falcon flying off, the rebellion on the ropes but there was still that air of hope that the good guys would prevail.

'Nuff said. Not to mention that one of the greatest sci-fi heroes of our time was presumed dead for three years after.

Easily in my top 5 endings.

TheObsoleteMan
08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
No one mentioned "Planet of the Apes"?

Heston and Lady Liberty... Iconic! One of the most powerful endings in movie history.

Ahem! First one on the list. ;)

Planet of the Apes

The Maltese Falcon

The Searchers

Raiders of the Lost Ark

John Carpenter's The Thing

Bubba Ho-Tep

Blade Runner (Final Cut)

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yojimbo

Throne of Blood

LOTRFan
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM

I actually enjoyed the fact that it wasn't completely spelled out for the audience, but different strokes I suppose.

jungle jom
08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Ahem! First one on the list. ;)

Gee... I missed that.... sorry. I'll be glad to take second on the list.

Good choice Obsolete!

GrueSam
08-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah- I'd definitely have to add POTA to the list...

But after my Usual Suspects, Shawshank and I am w/ Blake on Chinatown.

How could I've forgotten that insane Chinatown ending?!
That is def a flick for you youngsters to check out! :whip

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Shinder's List is epic.

Shoot 'Em Up is badass, as is Planet Terror.

I liked Death Proof's ending...but not many people share the same opinion...heh/

Killbeggar
08-03-2008, 09:46 PM

I gotta agree with King here. Private Ryan finds out he just lost his brothers and he should be expected to just leave his unit to fight without him? If that had happened or Tom Hanks "Bonked the bastard on the head" and left would have been an epic cinematic failure worthy of Uwe Boll.

YoNoSe
08-04-2008, 05:53 AM
My issue with the ending to Private Ryan is the extremely unlikely reappearance of the German soldier Miller let go earlier.

My issue with the beginning of SPR is that we begin by watching an unknown character flash back to a story that he is completely absent from until the last third. It should have been Burns character remembering. Yeah, I know it's called Private Ryan, but just because you're a title character that doesn't make you omniscient.

Other than those two nitpicks, love it. One of those that I can't turn off if I stumble on it while flipping.

Cocoboloboy
08-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Jaws comes to my mind instantly. Then Shawshank. I also liked Road To Perdition and The Green Mile.

Karaduin
08-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Any movie with a MONEYSHOT ending! :monkey3

:lol

Les Walker
08-04-2008, 08:39 AM
JAWS. Definately. No comparison to the last ten minutes of that one for me ever.
Shawshank is a superb ending.
Usual Suspects is superb.
The Prestige. (Last damn shot!)
The Illusionist.
Planet of the Apes (hard to top).
King Kong (original)
2001 A Space Odyssey (last bit is movie history)
The Crow
Star Trek II Wrath of Khan (Spock death)
ALIEN/ALIENS (tied for me ending wise)
Raiders (opening of the Ark)
Return of the King (entire final battle)
Frankenstein (1931) Love the mill ending
Highlander (Duel with Kurgan and whole getting of the prize bit)
Nosferatu (he vaporizes in the sunlight)

But my second favorite ending ever...

SANJURO, sequel to Yojimbo. At the end of the movie, dude won't leave Toshiro Mifune alone. Pushes for a duel. They stand, They stand, they stand, single rapid slashing sword movement across dude's gut, serious gut spray from hell. THAT DUDE DIES! :rock That's how you end a movie.

Too many more to name.

TheObsoleteMan
08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Oh man, how could I forget King Kong?! Good call there, Les.

NASEDO
08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Unforgiven

That might be the winner

But I'll say Walk The Line

greyrabbit
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
A few weeks ago I saw The Kite Runner on DVD. Great story and has a very moving ending.

rabidwolverine21
08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
you know i also loved the way silence of the lambs ended, with lector still out there,and no one knowing were, that kinda stuff that runs chills down your spine.

Rock83
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Such har question as there is so many endings,but there is nothing more memorable than:

-Twin peaks fire walk with me
-Twin peaks ending of season 2 part 2

NASEDO
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
The Wanderers - I been promoting this movie all day, what a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCozkOR6anQ

Shai
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Usual Suspect
There will be Blood

Malice
08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
in the mouth of madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DinoLast
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Two words FIGHT CLUB but I must not talk about it

pixletwin
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
My top 3:

Amadeus: Mediocrities everywhere, I absolve you!

The Emprire Strikes Back: John Williams awesome music and the emotion of it all get me everytime.

The Empire of the Sun: Suo Gan being sung while Jim is with all the war orphans waiting to be picked up by their parents, but he doesn't even remember what his look like and then they find him... beautiful moment. :monkey2

pixletwin
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Two words FIGHT CLUB but I must not talk about it

Yes! That is one of the great endings. A+ for the best use of a pixies song ever. :rock

Adoptedscot
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Shawshank
Se7en
The Others
Alien and Aliens
Event Horizon
ROTK (although FOTR is my favourite film of the 3)
Willy Wonka (original)

Can't think of anything else just now
x :D

Blake
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes! That is one of the great endings. A+ for the best use of a pixies song ever. :rock

Agreed...although, I can't really think of a lot of other movies where the Pixies was used :lol

Pump Up the Volume maybe?

Spartan Rex
08-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Field of Dreams
Casablanca
Jaws
Gladiator
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Forrest Gump
Saving Prvt Ryan

TwelveMonkeys
08-07-2008, 01:18 PM