Anyone buy DC Direct Deluxe Figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper33

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im already set to get the TDK Joker, but was wondering about the rest of the figures. I went to the comic shop today (looks at clock) yesterday and saw a few more. Nightwing, Blue Batman, Bizzaro, Green Arrow, Superman, and Robin. Well Nightwing I saw a month or so ago but I added it in as well. The Green Arrow looked pretty good as well as Superman, but Im not really all to sure about the quality of them and such.

After talking with the guy, he said to stop buy wednesday if I wanted to check out the new Joker and Harley Quinn figures. Im thinking of getting Harley (liked the preview photos of her before) so I might pick her up if I can. So what is everyones take on these things?

Also is there a site that has a full list of all of them? I saw one list but some of the things the guy mentioned werent on it.:monkey1

i havent started buying any yet but ive been wanting to go after all the batman figures. i think depending on how the joker and harley turn out ill make my decision whether to start getting them or not.

A lot of people collect these but not in one localized thread. Check the "General Collectibles" area and you'll find individual threads for each release.

I have been collecting since the Batman Begins figure and all I can say is if you can get past the scale then they are really nice figures. They are not perfect but they keep getting better all the time. The Rorschack and Spirit figures look really cool and I can't wait for Dr. Manhattan.

For a complete list the best thing I can think of is going to the DC Direct website and checking under all figures. The section is quite big but if you filter through it you can get a pretty accurate list of the characters they have made.

Several of us collect those figures and there are several threads about most of those figures in this section. Do a quick search and you should be able to find them.

I've been collecting these since the first release (Superman 2-in-1 with Clark Kent outfit), and I love 'em! Sure, they have their faults : the scale is a bit large so they won't fit in with other, truer 1/6 lines (not a big deal to me as they look great displayed as a group), the wrist articulation is bad, the hands pop off too easily, the "bendy" hands need to be abolished, and the cut-joints in the biceps and thighs should be eliminated. But all in all, these are the best cloth-costumed, 1/6 scale comic-based line of figures ever produced, IMO.

The worst of the line are the movie-based figures from Batman Begins and Superman Returns. Both suffer from the use of the too-large "superheroic" body, which looks great for the comic-based figures but is way too bulky to portray Bale or Routh. The current Dark Knight Batman is likewise a bit too muscular (although the head sculpt is way better than the Begins version), but the Joker is darn near perfect (if only they'd given him socks!).

My favorites from the comic-based figures are Green Lantern (the original is tough and expensive to find but a re-tooled re-release is coming with 3 additional GL Corps heads), Green Arrow (would be much better with molded gripping hands though), Aquaman (perfect!), Captain Marvel/Shazam, Bizzaro (surprising as I didn't really have any expectations for him) and Classic Batman & Robin. I have them displayed in a Detolf, and I find myself just stopping to admire them on a regular basis. Superman is probably the one figure I'm least impressed with - even though they have released 2 versions, I find the headsculpt on both to be sub-par.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Joker and Harley Quinn releases, and further down the line to Black Canary and Supergirl (wish it was the 70's "hotpants" version, though). At the moment, my biggest gripe is that we don't yet have a Wonder Woman or Hawkman. There are threads on other boards that speculate Hawkman is seen as unlikely by DC Direct due to the problems and expense of accurately tooling his wings, but I hope that's just an unfounded rumor. And it has been said that they are waiting until they have Wonder Woman just right before releasing her.

It seems as though most of the early 2009 announcements are movie-based (Watchmen, Spirit) . I've been hoping for a classic, Eisner-inspired Spirit since the line began, so the movie figure announcement was a disappointment to me. Hopefully we'll get a slew of comic-based announcements for later in 2009. My top wants are:
1) Hawkman with mini Atom pack-in
2) Wonder Woman
3) Golden Age Green Lantern
4) Golden Age Flash
5) Captain Marvel Jr
6) Mary Marvel
7) Dr Fate
8) Firestorm
9) Zatanna (classic magician's costume) 10) Hawkgirl (would help justify the wing harness tooling for Hawkman)

I collect this line, but am picky. I am selling a MISB original Super Man/Clark Kent outfit for about 100 bucks. Goes for a lot more than that on eBay. Let me know. :)

A lot of people collect these but not in one localized thread. Check the "General Collectibles" area and you'll find individual threads for each release.

I see what I did, when I did my search I didnt localize it to the general, so most of what came up was the buy and sell threads.

Do you have any pic's Sniper

I dont have any pictures, TDK Joker I got on Preorder, and Harely I might pick up Wednesday (if I get off work in time) and maybe Green Arrow as well. I DO have pictures but not of the DC Direct figures.

Damn you, those seem like pretty good prices. But it does seem odd that Harley and Joker show as 8/20, but the store guy said stop by wednesday 8/6 for them....I think he might of been confused or something.

For some great pics, check out Shaun's blog:
https://testicular-fortitude.blogspot.com

Try doing a search for "DC Direct 13"

Ah, thanks for the link, doing a quick look at it there are alot of good pictures on it. Gonna have to do a little more looking there to help decide on getting things or not.

Yeah the size of these figures is one thing that kinda threw me off, since they are gonna be taller then most of the other things I got around here. I so far Ive only had one pair of bendy hands (on a Triad Toys figure), and I gotta say that I hate them (metal part popped out of the finger).

Allow me to illustrate...
DSC00150.jpg

This is my favourite and what I think is underrated figure!
DSC00151.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00052-1.jpg

wizardtributecover.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

They are my favourite line and display really well on they're own shelf. My girlfriend likes them the best two. I think they are really well done, especially when you consider they are figures in tights! The only gripe I have is the cut biceps. The joint could have been handled/designed much better. They improve with every release.

I have the Black and Grey Batman and think it's a great figure. The musculature is right on an I love the feel of the piece. Not cheap at all.

I bought the BEGINS Batman one back in 2005 and it was terrible. I think their TDK Joker is pretty good, and I've been told it is as well. So I may pick that one up.

MWCtoys.com has quite a few reviews as well. I only have one of these (Green Lantern) and he's a pretty awesome figure. I wish the body was a better design, but just on his own he's really cool.

The pictures looks pretty good, When I go back wednesday Ill get Harley, and Gren Arrow for sure. Shame the guy only has blue and gray batman instead of black and gray. Nightwing also looked pretty good, and from the pictures of Aquaman he looks good as well.

Really like that picture of superman and spiderman holding eachothers hand. If at all possiable I might pick up the new Green Lantern (one w/3 extra heads) when it comes out. I thought about getting the DCD Joker but from the review on mwc it seems pretty bad.

I'm looking to get a few of these as there is no DC love in my collection, just a BB Tak Bats. Is there anywhere in the UK that sells these for a decent price apart from Forbidden Planet? (prices are a little high)

Also, does anyone know if the new soon to be released Green Lantern w/ interchangeable heads has the light up lantern feature?

Hi Grange Wallis, that's a pretty sweet set-up and great pics!
How is the 13" Lex? Is he too buff? I've been meaning to get him, but the oversized body bothers me on Lex. To me he's more of a mad scientist and not a body builder... You got any more pics of him?

Here's a pic of my current collection. I love how colorful and big these things are. Only thing I dislike is the limited amount of good poses you can put them into; the cut joints may add articulation but take away from the aesthetics, meaning they only look good in a few poses.
9b54f41d.jpg

Back