I got bored waiting for my HT Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindVoyeur

Super Freak
Reaction score
And decided to repaint my Movie Master one :)

Thanks,
Ryan

reece.jpg

No, no you dont...

As for the repaint....I dont like it...heres why...

It looks messy, but not in the Joker way, just kinda sloppy.

The eyes are off now...not sure if thats your fault or mattel's but...yeah.

The eye paint is too light IMO.

And the "skin" looks like yellow stuff dripping all over his face.

But hey, its your custom.....im thinking about a slight repaint to my Mattel Joker....

I speak truth. What can ya do? I'm not a monster, just ahead of the curve.

Because its the not the truth, reality is, dcd sucks the major nutsacks whereas the ht one is pretty much better in all aspects... I'm thinking you don't have the cash for the ht joker therefore you're trying to convince yourself an inferior product is better... Way to go!

Nope, just obvious which one looks like the Joker and which one doesn't. I'll stick to Hot Toys movie Batman products. They knew what they were doing there. But if I want a lineup of 1:6th scaled toys gracing my shelves that look like the characters from my favorite movie. HT BEGINS Batman, HT TDK Batman, and DC Direct Joker. HT's Grinch in Joker clothes can go do whatever.

What is that like a way to try to potentially dig at me on a personal level? haha ... If you can't make an actual argument why you're inferior product is better than the cheaper superior product, lets resort to making fun of someone we don't know's finance situation? hahaha

Thats too funny.

I don't have enough money for the HT Joker, but I'm purchasing TDK suit Batman from Hot Toys. Rrrrright.

Nope, just obvious which one looks like the Joker and which one doesn't. I'll stick to Hot Toys movie Batman products. They knew what they were doing there. But if I want a lineup of 1:6th scaled toys gracing my shelves that look like the characters from my favorite movie. HT BEGINS Batman, HT TDK Batman, and DC Direct Joker. HT's Grinch in Joker clothes can go do whatever.
Hot Toys has a better value. Sure the head isnt Ledger a 100%, but its a 100% The Joker. Plus it comes with better crap then the DC does....

HT's

Amazing 1:6 clothing.
MONEY!
Cards
His main knife

DC's
Poor 1:6 clothing
4 Knives (I think?) and not one of them are used in the film by The Joker.
Cards
The Bank Robber Mask...which makes no sense because he doesnt have the Bank Robber suit on...so, while cool, its a pointless accesory.
and his Gun.

The gun is nice, but I just dont want to have the Joker with a gun...he may have used it in the film, but its not part of his character.

So there. DC's is OK...but HT's is better. Even if you dont like the head. The body, the stuff, the clothing is all better then DC's....plus you can fit it in with your other 1:6 scale stuff, and it doesnt look oversized.

Wait...why are we arguing about this? This is the poor dude's custom thread! I was the only person who even acknowlaged his custom! May not have been postive...but hopfully it helped...eh.

And decided to repaint my Movie Master one :)

Thanks,
Ryan

reece.jpg

To get this back on track...

Nice job, Ryan. Digging the wet look of the paint. I've never attempted a 6 in figure before but imagine nailing the eyes must be a lot of work. I'm digging it. You should post more pics.

HT vs DCD Joker doenst matter to me since Im getting both :D

As for the custom it looks pretty good, but the eye paint is to light and not sure what it is, but something looks off on the face....not sure if its your doing but I think its from mattel. Either way not to bad.

not a bad job...better than i could have done. especially on a 6" figure.
~~as for the HT vs. DC figure....lame. Hot Toys is just better than the DC direct. end of discussion. i have held the DC version in my hand and you can tell where they cut corners on the product. the clothes felt very frail and just don't look great visually. and the extra knives are ok, but none look like the ones from the movie. i'd rather just buy some custom ones later. the extra mask is great for something to put on the stand, but pointless because his purple suit isn't from the bank robbery. i'm sticking with the pros and giving my business to hot toys.

Hot Toys has a better value. Sure the head isnt Ledger a 100%, but its a 100% The Joker. Plus it comes with better crap then the DC does....

HT's

Amazing 1:6 clothing.
MONEY!
Cards
His main knife

DC's
Poor 1:6 clothing
4 Knives (I think?) and not one of them are used in the film by The Joker.
Cards
The Bank Robber Mask...which makes no sense because he doesnt have the Bank Robber suit on...so, while cool, its a pointless accesory.
and his Gun.

The gun is nice, but I just dont want to have the Joker with a gun...he may have used it in the film, but its not part of his character.

So there. DC's is OK...but HT's is better. Even if you dont like the head. The body, the stuff, the clothing is all better then DC's....plus you can fit it in with your other 1:6 scale stuff, and it doesnt look oversized.
Ok, I can roll with you on the Hot Toys figure having the accurate knife. I 110% agree with you on that, no ands / ifs or buts about it. In terms of Joker cards, I think the DC Direct one gives you more of them, but even then I'll call it a draw since HT supplies them as well. The Hot Toys Joker gives you money? Is that even an accessory? Whats the point? And they are replicas of the promotional viral money given out at SDCC in 2007. It's not even a movie accessory. It's utterly pointless. Now if it was a huge molded pile of burning cash ... that would be incredibly bad ass. "It's not about the MONEY ... it's about sending a MESSAGE ... EVERYTHING BURNS."

Onto the DC Direct accessories. 1st of all ... how could you even argue the bank robbery accessory is pointless? The robbery mask alone might set this figure apart in the accessories category. And I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing that if the Hot Toys Joker had this accessory you'd be arguing that its a pointless accessory. I mean he uses it in the 1st GRAND enterance of the Joker into the world that Batman Begins gave us. It's major. Thematically it represented this sinister un-stoppable force of evil that rose from the cracks of Gotham City, inpired and enticed by the spreading Batman legend. From faceless thug, to the removale of the mask giving way to the criminal, psychotic mastermind that is the Joker. "What doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." This accessory is more important and cool than either HT's accurate knife, or DC Direct's glock. And you argue it's pointless because he doesn't wear the purple suit in that scene? Are you serious? Why so serious? All you have to do as some people have show in pictures is remove the purple overcoat, and have him wear the grey suitcoat jacket and viola ... looks pretty close to bank robbery Joker. The mask is awesome. And the knives? Yes it's disappointing it isn't the main one he uses, but they are the "pocket full of knives" seen laying on the inspection room table of the Major Crimes Unit. Now, the glock and the accurate HT knife cancel each other out. Joker uses the glock in almost as many scenes as the knife was used. Both were prominent weapons in his arsenal.

So Joker Cards / Bank Robbery Mask / Glock / Major Crimes Unit Knives

v.s. Joker Cards / "How I got these scars" Knife / SDCC Money

And you take HT's accessories? Uhhh ... ok.

And the quality of the clothes is superior with HT's, but not so much to make the visual appearance of the figure more stunning. So you're trying to sell me on the concept that because the HT has a better body structure and clothing material, it's a better figure? You're paying for a $150 knife, clothes, and a body (that doesn't even allow for Heath's signature Joker slouch)

I guess we buy movie related products for different reasons. I purchase them if I want them to represent what I saw in the film and the character. And the main way in which one recognizes the character is by the face, especially the character of the Joker. And there is no way you can even argue the DC Direct Joker doesn't look the most like the character. It's a damn laser scan of him in the prosthetics. That's why (IMO for the sensitive) the $90 Joker is a better product than the $150 un-recognizable Joker. For $90 you're getting the best likeness. No one is going to examine your toys quality of clothes. And if you're that into style of clothes on a doll, try American Girl. The quality difference isn't that noticeable to justify paying way more for a figure that doesn't have an accurate face sculpt. DC Direct gives you better accessories and the most accurate likeness for $60 - $70 less. Real tough decision there, fellas!!! hehe

I mean even if you don't agree about the clothing debate, the figure's body, or the accessories argument. The main point and issue is likeness. It's the most important of any and when comparing the HT likeness to the DC Direct likeness, there isn't even a comparison. One is a scan that looks just like the character, the other one's likeness got lost in translation from concept to finalize figure sculpt. And likeness is always the most imporant feature in a piece of memorobilia based off a visual concept like a movie. There isn't much room for interpretation.

And I'm done discussing this debate. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Back