What Movies have the worst endings?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoLast

Super Freak
Reaction score
They don't necessary have to be bad just have poor endings
Take War of the worlds when Tom Cruise's son turns up at the end.
Or Matrix Revolutions that ends with a bunch of characters who weren't even in the first movie looking at a sun that's supposed to be Neo.
I think if you going to mention new movies best use a spoiler

Last edited:
Good call on War of the Worlds... I really liked the movie up until the happy ending.

I know there are many movies with bad endings. I just saw No Country for Old Men and I thought the ending could have been so much better.

Hard to remember but here's a few so far:

Spiderman 3
Resident Evil Extinction
Return of the Jedi - w/ addition of Hayden Christensen
Next
POTC At World End - thought Calypso would do more than a whirlpool

Any movie that has an implausible saving/reuniting of family, friends, and PETS!!!

I was definitely let down by the end of No Country For Old Men. I also thought that the end of Atonement kind of rendered the film pointless, although many would disagree with me.

Although worst ending of all time would be Empire Strikes Back, with Luke losing his hand and his lightsaber, finding out that Darth Vader is his father and Old Ben was a liar, Han being frozen and taken by Boba Fett with Leia and Chewie failing to get to him in time, etc. And then the movie is over--what a bummer, and with absolutely no resolution!! I was one traumatized five year old.

I was definitely let down by the end of No Country For Old Men. I also thought that the end of Atonement kind of rendered the film pointless, although many would disagree with me.

Although worst ending of all time would be Empire Strikes Back, with Luke losing his hand and his lightsaber, finding out that Darth Vader is his father and Old Ben was a liar, Han being frozen and taken by Boba Fett with Leia and Chewie failing to get to him in time, etc. And then the movie is over--what a bummer, and with absolutely no resolution!! I was one traumatized five year old.

Yeah, When I was 8 and a half I was sitting in the movie theatre watching ESB with a, What is that it? look on my face and I to wait until I was 11 and half before the expression left me. No Country's ending disappointed me at first but now I kinda get the reason why it had to end like that.

Halloween Resurrection. Busta Rhymes takes out Micheal Myers with kung fu.

That movie started off so great, how did it all go so wrong?

They don't necessary have to be bad just have poor endings
Take War of the worlds when Tom Cruise's son turns up at the end.
Or Matrix Revolutions that ends with a bunch of characters who weren't even in the first movie looking at a sun that's supposed to be Neo.
I think if you going to mention new movies best use a spoiler

Completely agree with that list, especially War of the Worlds. That damn kid should've died for abandoning his family and especially his sister, besides he was an a--hole.

And the Matrix ending sucked too, very little climax for all the fighting that was going on.

I have to disagree on the endings of The Mist, Empire Strikes Back, Pan's Labyrinth, and Bridge to Terabithia; some stories shouldn't have completely happy endings (like War of The Worlds ;)).

Well, I wasn't being 100% serious about Empire Strikes Back, it's one of my favorite movies. I just remember seeing it as a kid and being in shock for three years afterwards, waiting to see how things would be resolved.

What could be happier than the murder of a little girl?

Just kidding--I would call it moving or powerful or something like that, but I don't know about happy. It's hard to portray the death of a child and have it be happy, but given the story and context of the situation, the ending isn't entirely pessimistic, nor is it unexpected given the fact that he spoils the ending from the very opening shot of the film. I suppose that the ending can be interpreted many different ways by different people, and the different interpretations would vary on the happy/sad ending scale.

I Am Legand

Worst --- ending -- EVER!

After the whole movie builds up to the head vampire being only after liberating his wife, the movie turns into a mass slaughter with the atheist Will Smith dying and the true believer escaping with the boy to a township where the last image we see is a Christian church in the middle of the town. I checked the alternate ending on the BluRay and found the ending that should have been shown theatrically. I have nothing against a nice Christian based movie -- the Matrix for instance, great film. But this ending was just tacked on for some reason. It belonged on another movie altogether.

The Pan's Lab ending was great and fit the tone of the whole story very well.

I love the ending of No Country. When I first read the book it stayed with me for days. I thought they did really great job of it for the film, though if the film had focused a bit more on fleshing out Sheriff Bell like the book did it may have made more sense. Now The Road, that was a strange, unexpected ending that I didn't really care for.

I am Legend butchered almost everything that was good about the novel. The ending was especially bad.

Pans labyrinthine had a brilliant ending. Not many movies make me cry but that did it was beautifully ambiguous. It depends on your point of view if it was a happy or sad ending .
Oh I was joking about ESB too.

The prestige's ending was not so much bad but was disappointing
Oh, How about the Mummy returns CG The Rock at the end
The remake of planet of the apes ending, Walberg goes back to earth to find that history has been changed but the apes invented everything we did including the same cop cars and cop outfits that we have now

Hatchet...lolll.....ends abruptly..but I guess thats the beauty of it...:monkey1

Back