PDA

View Full Version : What Movies have the worst endings?

DinoLast
08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
What Movies have the worst endings?
They don't necessary have to be bad just have poor endings
Take War of the worlds when Tom Cruise's son turns up at the end.
Or Matrix Revolutions that ends with a bunch of characters who weren't even in the first movie looking at a sun that's supposed to be Neo.
I think if you going to mention new movies best use a spoiler

preeny101
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
The Mist. Most depressing end in that type of movie.

Giant Chicken
08-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Good call on War of the Worlds... I really liked the movie up until the happy ending.

I know there are many movies with bad endings. I just saw No Country for Old Men and I thought the ending could have been so much better.

Lord Aykroyd
08-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Mission to Mars -- ok ok maybe it was just bad all together. :rolleyes:

CelticPredator
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM
The Mist. Most depressing end in that type of movie.

Thats the best ending ever!

As for worst....War of the Worlds, as said above...

LOTR- all 40 endings.

The X-Files: I want to leave....

KAOSINLA
08-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Hard to remember but here's a few so far:

Spiderman 3
Resident Evil Extinction
Return of the Jedi - w/ addition of Hayden Christensen
Next
POTC At World End - thought Calypso would do more than a whirlpool

Any movie that has an implausible saving/reuniting of family, friends, and PETS!!!

tomandshell
08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I was definitely let down by the end of No Country For Old Men. I also thought that the end of Atonement kind of rendered the film pointless, although many would disagree with me.

Although worst ending of all time would be Empire Strikes Back, with Luke losing his hand and his lightsaber, finding out that Darth Vader is his father and Old Ben was a liar, Han being frozen and taken by Boba Fett with Leia and Chewie failing to get to him in time, etc. And then the movie is over--what a bummer, and with absolutely no resolution!! I was one traumatized five year old.

DinoLast
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I was definitely let down by the end of No Country For Old Men. I also thought that the end of Atonement kind of rendered the film pointless, although many would disagree with me.

Although worst ending of all time would be Empire Strikes Back, with Luke losing his hand and his lightsaber, finding out that Darth Vader is his father and Old Ben was a liar, Han being frozen and taken by Boba Fett with Leia and Chewie failing to get to him in time, etc. And then the movie is over--what a bummer, and with absolutely no resolution!! I was one traumatized five year old.

Yeah, When I was 8 and a half I was sitting in the movie theatre watching ESB with a, What is that it? look on my face and I to wait until I was 11 and half before the expression left me. No Country's ending disappointed me at first but now I kinda get the reason why it had to end like that.

KAOSINLA
08-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree with ESB....Traumatizing for me at such a young age.

Adding:

Pan's Labyrinth
Bridge to Terabithia

TheObsoleteMan
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Halloween Resurrection. Busta Rhymes takes out Micheal Myers with kung fu.

That movie started off so great, how did it all go so wrong?

screamingmetal
08-02-2008, 04:12 PM
What Movies have the worst endings?
They don't necessary have to be bad just have poor endings
Take War of the worlds when Tom Cruise's son turns up at the end.
Or Matrix Revolutions that ends with a bunch of characters who weren't even in the first movie looking at a sun that's supposed to be Neo.
I think if you going to mention new movies best use a spoiler

Completely agree with that list, especially War of the Worlds. That damn kid should've died for abandoning his family and especially his sister, besides he was an a--hole.

And the Matrix ending sucked too, very little climax for all the fighting that was going on.

I have to disagree on the endings of The Mist, Empire Strikes Back, Pan's Labyrinth, and Bridge to Terabithia; some stories shouldn't have completely happy endings (like War of The Worlds ;)).

CelticPredator
08-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah! Pans Labyrinth has a fantastic ending...

tomandshell
08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, I wasn't being 100% serious about Empire Strikes Back, it's one of my favorite movies. I just remember seeing it as a kid and being in shock for three years afterwards, waiting to see how things would be resolved.

NASEDO
08-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with ESB....Traumatizing for me at such a young age.

Adding:

Pan's Labyrinth
Bridge to Terabithia

Gotta agree with Pan's Labyrinth

CelticPredator
08-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Pans had a very happy ending. And it was brilliant.

tomandshell
08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
What could be happier than the murder of a little girl?

Just kidding--I would call it moving or powerful or something like that, but I don't know about happy. It's hard to portray the death of a child and have it be happy, but given the story and context of the situation, the ending isn't entirely pessimistic, nor is it unexpected given the fact that he spoils the ending from the very opening shot of the film. I suppose that the ending can be interpreted many different ways by different people, and the different interpretations would vary on the happy/sad ending scale.

gdb
08-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I Am Legand

Worst --- ending -- EVER!

After the whole movie builds up to the head vampire being only after liberating his wife, the movie turns into a mass slaughter with the atheist Will Smith dying and the true believer escaping with the boy to a township where the last image we see is a Christian church in the middle of the town. I checked the alternate ending on the BluRay and found the ending that should have been shown theatrically. I have nothing against a nice Christian based movie -- the Matrix for instance, great film. But this ending was just tacked on for some reason. It belonged on another movie altogether.

Entropy
08-02-2008, 06:05 PM
The Pan's Lab ending was great and fit the tone of the whole story very well.

I love the ending of No Country. When I first read the book it stayed with me for days. I thought they did really great job of it for the film, though if the film had focused a bit more on fleshing out Sheriff Bell like the book did it may have made more sense. Now The Road, that was a strange, unexpected ending that I didn't really care for.

I am Legend butchered almost everything that was good about the novel. The ending was especially bad.

DinoLast
08-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Pans labyrinthine had a brilliant ending. Not many movies make me cry but that did it was beautifully ambiguous. It depends on your point of view if it was a happy or sad ending .
Oh I was joking about ESB too.

The prestige's ending was not so much bad but was disappointing
Oh, How about the Mummy returns CG The Rock at the end
The remake of planet of the apes ending, Walberg goes back to earth to find that history has been changed but the apes invented everything we did including the same cop cars and cop outfits that we have now

Shai
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Hatchet...lolll.....ends abruptly..but I guess thats the beauty of it...:monkey1

preeny101
08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Thats the best ending ever!

Sadistic bastard! They killed the friggin' kid!:lol

CelticPredator
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
If thats all you think happend, then you kinda missed the point....

She died, but when she did die, she went back to her magical home....I havent seen the movie in forever, so I forgot where she lived was called...but really, she just became the princess, and moved on. The villian dies, the kid gets what she deserves, being the Princess that is....and everyone's happy...ish....its a happy ending.

KAOSINLA
08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
I have to disagree on the endings of Pan's Labyrinth, and Bridge to Terabithia; some stories shouldn't have completely happy endings (like War of The Worlds ;)).

With Pan and Bridge, I didn't want a happy ending....I personally just wasn't satisfied the way the ending went in coherence of the storyline...However, I was expecting more from Bridge as a whole movie too...Just my opinion.

Like Tom said.....as an adult I love the ending to ESB. However as a small child when weeks seem like years, that ending was traumatizing....I think I had tears in the theater having not the complete understanding of the workings of carbonite.

TOE
08-03-2008, 01:25 AM
The Village ...... blows

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 01:29 AM
The whole movie blows. I hate that crap.

cco805
08-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Signs - The aliens are afraid of water and decides to invade a planet that's 85% water. War of the Worlds had the same problem too. Don't these "advanced" species send out scouts first and make sure the planet they're invading doesn't have an abundance of things deadly to them.

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Perhaps they didnt think they would go near the water....who knows. That movie scared the ^^^^ outta me, and it still does, so, I like it just for that fact.

mohawk1975
08-03-2008, 02:56 AM
The Prestige - I thought this movie was gonna build up to some clever trick/twist at the end but to explain everything down to the supernatural was a complete sell-out - loved the movie up until then....

gdb
08-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Sadistic bastard! They killed the friggin' kid!:lol

She died, but when she did die, she went back to her magical home....I havent seen the movie in forever, so I forgot where she lived was called...but really, she just became the princess, and moved on. The villian dies, the kid gets what she deserves, being the Princess that is....and everyone's happy...ish....its a happy ending.

If I remember correctly, it's designed so that you're both right. Athough personally I felt the whole thing was an...

...escapist fantasy created in the little girl's mind to escape the horror of an all too real situation.

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 03:44 AM
The Prestige - I thought this movie was gonna build up to some clever trick/twist at the end but to explain everything down to the supernatural was a complete sell-out - loved the movie up until then....

Ahem...first lines of the movie...

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."

8th wonder
08-03-2008, 04:43 AM
...escapist fantasy created in the little girl's mind to escape the horror of an all too real situation.[/QUOTE]

That's just not true, if you watch the movie carefully you will see that the fantasy creatures and situations can't possibly be the fantasie of a little girl.

Blackhole
08-03-2008, 04:46 AM
Hancock, it was OK to start with, but then went way downhill, and became really predictable...

Dodgeball...only the cut ending, where they don't win...

The final words of the cut...

"They came all this way for nothing..."

Still pretty funny, but I'd've been pissed if that had been the real ending...

Plus there are women making out in the real one, another reason why the cut ending sucks...

preeny101
08-03-2008, 08:18 AM

I don't know if we're talking about the same movie. I am referring to Stepehn King's The Mist.

preeny101
08-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Sorry, I now see you're refrring to Pan's Labrynth.

artistrex
08-03-2008, 08:28 AM
I would have to say Ghost Rider, The only cool part of the movie is when Sam Elliot Fires up, leads Cage to the Bad Guy and then....nothing, I spent the whole movie hoping to see Elliot to whip ass roadhouse style, and nothing!

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Highlander, aside from weak ass ^^^^^ boy Connor beating the Kurgan, the "prize" sucked ass :lol

GREATEST ENDING of all time: Se7en!

mohawk1975
08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Ahem...first lines of the movie...

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."

Yes - magic "trick" - theres no mention there of anything supernatural so I'm not really sure what your point is...

carbo-fation
08-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Hancock was pretty bad as well as Matrix Revolution.

pjam
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
The Abyss...

Worst Cameron ending EVER. It was Abyss-mal.

EVILFACE
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystall Skull.

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't know if we're talking about the same movie. I am referring to Stepehn King's The Mist.

Ah! In that case, I still like that ending. Why? It proves a great point. When in fear, and panic, people do stupid irrational things. It may have made sense at the time....but if you think about it, its a stupid thing, and he has to pay.

Malice
08-03-2008, 11:38 AM
spiderman 3
hard candy
avp:r
jess franco's cannibal (well the whole movie sucked)
war
the mist
aliens 4
saw 4

just to name a few...........

NASEDO
08-03-2008, 12:09 PM
AVP - when the Predator teamed up with that stupid girl, I wanted to throw the dvd in the garbage.

And Pan's Labryth the lady starts running so the soldiers get on there horses and can't catch her, come on. You can't out run a horse.

preeny101
08-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Ah! In that case, I still like that ending. Why? It proves a great point. When in fear, and panic, people do stupid irrational things. It may have made sense at the time....but if you think about it, its a stupid thing, and he has to pay.

I twas just one of those endings that left me jolted. I guess in a way that is a good thing. I know I just sat there for like three silent minutes after the movie ended. Hmmm...People do stupid irrational things when they're scared. I guess it was kind of a political allegory, as well.

EVILFACE
08-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I know there are many movies with bad endings. I just saw No Country for Old Men and I thought the ending could have been so much better.

That ending was perfect.

How would you have made a better ending?

artistrex
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Titanic...the damn boat sank! lol

screamingmetal
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
With Pan and Bridge, I didn't want a happy ending....I personally just wasn't satisfied the way the ending went in coherence of the storyline...However, I was expecting more from Bridge as a whole movie too...Just my opinion.

Like Tom said.....as an adult I love the ending to ESB. However as a small child when weeks seem like years, that ending was traumatizing....I think I had tears in the theater having not the complete understanding of the workings of carbonite.

Yeah I remember being a little let down by the ESB ending and didn't really like the movie as a kid. However my taste as a kid was very poor, I even liked Jedi more back then, but now I that I've matured, I can appreciate ESB. I think also seeing Jedi and having that completion, it's easier to appreciate ESB.

Bridge was a movie I wasn't expecting much from, so I was quite happy to see it was far better then I had thought, still probably not a fantastic film.

Another really Sh^^y movie ending was An American Haunting. It had potential to be a good horror film, but when they put that bizarre twist ending in there, and destroyed the reputation of a very real historical person, I wanted to stomp the DVD rental.

screamingmetal
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
The Mist is one of those movies that can be interpreted many different ways.
I saw The Mist ending as more about giving up hope; the point being, you should never give up hope and stop fighting.

LOTRFan
08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I very much agree with the Matrix and War of the Worlds; and of course Spider-man 3. :monkey4

CelticPredator
08-03-2008, 04:57 PM
HA! Yeah, that movie didnt even have a "Swing off" and the end....craptastic.

spartan
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
The Mist had the best ending ever IMO. On one side it tells you that too much faith, like the christian evangelist, can lead to harm and blind infliction of pain unto others. On the other side it tells you that no faith at all, like the people in the car in the end, is equally harmful cause it leads to infliction of pain upon yourself. The ending was not there to shock as some people thought, it was there for a reason. The director wanted the film to carry a message.

And the Prestige... probably one of the best movies I've seen. The ending is not really supernatural. There was technology involved and just because they didnt explain the physics of it in detail it doesnt mean it breaks the laws of nature. Its the magic of film.

The one i agree with about the crappy ending is War of the Worlds...

GrueSam
08-03-2008, 05:55 PM
The Mist is one of those movies that can be interpreted many different ways.
I saw The Mist ending as more about giving up hope; the point being, you should never give up hope and stop fighting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/gruesam/Emoticons/16.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/gruesam/Emoticons/spidey_caught.gif

screamingmetal
08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
The Mist had the best ending ever IMO. On one side it tells you that too much faith, like the christian evangelist, can lead to harm and blind infliction of pain unto others. On the other side it tells you that no faith at all, like the people in the car in the end, is equally harmful cause it leads to infliction of pain upon yourself. The ending was not there to shock as some people thought, it was there for a reason. The director wanted the film to carry a message.

The one i agree with about the crappy ending is War of the Worlds...

Now that I can't buy. I don't see Suicide as pain inflected upon yourself, but an end to pain or a desire to hurt others through the act. In the Mist they wanted to prevent being turned into spider incubators or being eaten alive by any one of those creatures. They didn't want themselves to meet that kind of horrific ending in fear and pain, so they chose a quick death with no pain.
Look at Islamic suicide bombers, they have a great enough faith that they could easily kill themselves, or inflict pain upon yourself if that's how you see suicide. Having faith doesn't exclude self inflected pain, just look at Christian Flagellants.
But that's how I interpreted it, still just my opinion in the end.

Blake
08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I thought the ending to The Mist was excellent. A nice punch in the gut.

My gold metal for worst ending of all time goes to HIGH TENSION. Awesome first hour, only to be ripped to shreds with one of the worst twists in recent memory. After seeing the twist, pretty much the entire movie is ruined.

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
IMy gold metal for worst ending of all time goes to HIGH TENSION. Awesome first hour, only to be ripped to shreds with one of the worst twists in recent memory. After seeing the twist, pretty much the entire movie is ruined.

That we can agree on :monkey4

jungle jom
08-03-2008, 07:16 PM

How can you say the ending was bad? That implies the rest of the movie was OK...

The entire mess was one of the worst films (of that type of budget) I have ever seen.

I guess I want my money back...

Darthrazz
08-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Blazing Saddles

RJMacReady16
08-03-2008, 07:23 PM
"Bug" with Ashley Judd.

:monkey4

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
"Bug" with Ashley Judd.

:monkey4

Yup, that was total crap :banghead

RJMacReady16
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Yup, that was total crap :banghead

If God grants me the opportunity to actually forecast and anticipate my own death (the classic deathbed scenario) I'll regret more than anything else, those precious 2 hours I wasted watching that pile of [email protected]#$

King Darkness
08-03-2008, 07:35 PM
If God grants me the opportunity to actually forecast and anticipate my own death (the classic deathbed scenario) I'll regret more than anything else, those precious 2 hours I wasted watching that pile of [email protected]#$

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Thats a bit harsh, but the movie did suck bad.

spartan
08-04-2008, 06:11 AM
anything with adam sandler

cjk1000000
08-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Cloverfield! Worst Ending Ever!

-CJK

CelticPredator
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Cloverfield! BEST ENDING EVER!

-CP

NASEDO
08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Star Wars EP3 Revenge of the Sith

When Vader Goes Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thats has to be #1.

RJMacReady16
08-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Star Wars EP3 Revenge of the Sith

When Vader Goes Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thats has to be #1.

:rotfl

You're probably right. I remember seeing it at the midnight showing, erupting into laughter when he did that, and then getting death glares from the acne-riddled nerds around me.

Rock83
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM

I agree a 100% to that,the treasure was the knowledge,c`mon,dont mix Indy with UFO`s,they didnt go very well together.

preeny101
08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Rambo: First Blood II

That speech was gut wrenchingly awful...even when I was 10.

Rambo 4 made up for it, though.

CelticPredator
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree a 100% to that,the treasure was the knowledge,c`mon,dont mix Indy with UFO`s,they didnt go very well together.

Yeah! Supernatural crap and indy DONT MIX! ...Oh wait.

Kuzeh
08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Titanic....
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

CelticPredator
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I'LL NEVER LET GO JACK!

*rips his hand off the boat, causing him to sink*

Sorry!

YoNoSe
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Someone should tell Spielberg to quit hosing down the room with his schmaltz rifle.

:lol
There's no OFF button on the schmaltz rifle!

screamingmetal
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Artificial Intelligence & Minority Report - If either ended 15 minutes earlier, they would have been outstanding films. (I.E. Osment at the Blue Fairy and Anderton being racked up)

Minority Report in particular is one of the most underrated sci fi movies ever. It's that ending that kills it. Someone should tell Spielberg to quit hosing down the room with his schmaltz rifle.

Full Metal Jacket, it's last third comes very very very close.

GG
I agree that Minority Report is very underrated, but I do like the whole movie, ending and all.

Dr.FeelGood
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Personally cant stand anything Tom Cruise has done, but that might be down to reasons not to do with his acting (which can rarely be faulted).

Worst endings....

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" - need i say more?

One a side note, one of the more touching endings i'd seen in a long time;

"I have a feeling we'll be doing this forever" - how we all wish it was so :(

Anyways...

Returning now to the weather,