PDA

View Full Version : RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190

Khev
06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Well...whats the point in us discussing it. You found what many consider to be a tremendously exciting sequence - the canal chase - boring. It seems clear from the outset you won't agree with much of anything we would say is incredible about it.

Well it was boring after I watched Robocop twice back to back. Its still a cool sequence but one that I realize I have to be in a nostalgic mood for to truly enjoy.

T2 blew me away in 1991. I really am curious to hear why you still think its a great movie by today's standards. Robocop is, T1 and Aliens are. Not so much T2 for me anymore.

Deckard
06-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I've found that I really prefer Cameron's theatrical versions to his Director's cuts. Aliens and T2 flow far better as action films w/o the extra character development as strange as that sounds. To me it's like I've seen them once, I know theres a scene where she talks to Reese but it's something I don't feel the need to see ever again when I watch T2, just get to the point and blow something up. Same with Aliens, the extra 5 mins of Newt's family discovering the ship, it's nice to know it's there and that's how it all happens, but after watching it once, it's a really boring 5 minutes I never need to revisit. Just get to the Marines already.

But yea t1>t2 by alot. Kyle Reese and Michael Beihn over Furlong and the most annoying voice in history anyday. And Arnold as a bad guys way cooler too. Nothing in the franchise came close to the police station.

a-dev
06-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Well it was boring after I watched Robocop twice back to back. Its still a cool sequence but one that I realize I have to be in a nostalgic mood for to truly enjoy.

T2 blew me away in 1991. I really am curious to hear why you still think its a great movie by today's standards. Robocop is, T1 and Aliens are. Not so much T2 for me anymore.

By todays standards it holds up fine. What more recent sci-actioner dates it? Some bad haircuts in it maybe but thats about it.

Yes its essentially a bigger budget T1 retread in many action scenes and scenarios.... but I don't have a huge problem with that I have to say.

Arnold as the good guy - I don't have a problem with it, at least not in this film because I feel it was done plausibly. However this was the first and only film where it worked. By T3 it was already Arnold as a caricature of himself and lets play it for laughs - without the plausible context for humour that there was in T2 - so that it completely jars in this film.

I also disagree with what you said about the T-1000 being less charismatic - he was just different. The whole point was for him to be a contrast to Arnold and it worked very well IMO. His behaviour was no less Terminatory than Arnie in T1, so that only leaves his appearance - but again that was deliberate. The T-1000 combined 2 of Camerons original ideas when he was making T1 that he ended up not going with - a more ordinary looking human disguise that could truly infiltrate and the liquid metal aspect.

I don't know what else to talk about. Anything you want to take up?

meth head
06-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Iceman 5/10

F__cking awful!

Shannon was immense, I mean he was really really good in a complete turd of a film.

It lacked any real plot even though it had the advantage of being based on true events. It had no fluency at all, just a completely incoherent mess.

Pork Chop Express
06-09-2013, 03:59 PM
"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!"

Network, Still a really good movie. 9/10.

Invictus Sol
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Iceman 5/10

F__cking awful!

Shannon was immense, I mean he was really really good in a complete turd of a film.

It lacked any real plot even though it had the advantage of being based on true events. It had no fluency at all, just a completely incoherent mess.
Damn, that's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing him in that. He's tailor-made to play an awesome hitman.

Deckard
06-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Iceman 5/10

F__cking awful!

5/10 is pretty average though bud. Still I think this is the lowest I've ever seen you rate a movie. :lol

Anyway make sure you watch the actual interviews if you haven't. THey use to run those back to back with those "actual autopsies" show on HBO at like 2 am back when I first started drinking 8 years ago and I remember coming home from the bar and watching them, he left quite the impression. The real Iceman is intense and crazy but he does embellish a bit which isn't a surprise.

BuddyGus
06-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Solarbabies. 4-10

I saw this on and remembered that I loved it, when I was in the third grade. I watched it and it was amusing. Made me wonder, "what the hell was I smoking in the 3rd grade to make this so cool?"

Nostalgia gets it a 4. And Jamie Gertz, she helped alot.

Khev
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
By todays standards it holds up fine. What more recent sci-actioner dates it? Some bad haircuts in it maybe but thats about it.

Oh I don't mean that the "styles" of 1991 date it. That's why I mentioned T1, Aliens, and Robocop, all heavily entrenched a lot of mid 80's trappings and so forth. But after dozens of viewings they're still great, engaging films.

T2 relied more heavily on the visual effects of the time and the "surprise" of Arnold being the good guy that time around. And I totally admit, that bit was brilliant. But after the novelty wears off it just becomes a sanitized "The Terminator" that borderline makes fun of itself with the "Bad to the Bone," silly sunglass scene from your avatar, and "I need a vacation."

Imagine if Robocop had said that when Lewis rescued him from the SWAT team. Lame.

I don't know what else to talk about. Anything you want to take up?

Nah, its cool. As you said we just see it differently now. But thanks for stating what still appeals to you about the film.

Voorhees27
06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Arrested Development - season 1 9/10

Deckard
06-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Bout time old man.

Voorhees27
06-09-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm a late bloomer lol

snoop101
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Lmao you think Robocop holds up well to todays standards but Terminator 2 doesn't? :slap

SnakeDoctor
06-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Hook -- 8/10. Forgot how good it was. Need to get the kids to watch it ... they'd like it a lot.

I'll probably bring it on vacation for them to watch in the truck during the drive. Trying to bring a few movies they haven't seen. Also bringing Earnest Goes to Camp ... which my 5yo son is going to think is hysterical.

SnakeDoc

Khev
06-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Lmao you think Robocop holds up well to todays standards but Terminator 2 doesn't?

Correct.
__

ZaCHw117
06-09-2013, 09:27 PM
The Hangover: Part 3 4/10

****. I wanted this to be a little worse then decent.

snoop101
06-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Correct.
__

Discussion over.

CelticPredator
06-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Discussion was over the moment I questioned him using a sarcastic angry tone. :lol

T2 is a great film. RoboCop is a great film. They aren't the same. And don't need to be compared.

T2 is a fine action film. RoboCop is a fine satire.

The Entity
06-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Argo - 8.5/10

meth head
06-10-2013, 12:17 AM
5/10 is pretty average though bud. Still I think this is the lowest I've ever seen you rate a movie. :lol

Anyway make sure you watch the actual interviews if you haven't. THey use to run those back to back with those "actual autopsies" show on HBO at like 2 am back when I first started drinking 8 years ago and I remember coming home from the bar and watching them, he left quite the impression. The real Iceman is intense and crazy but he does embellish a bit which isn't a surprise.

:lol

I had to give it a 5 for Shannon alone. That is a pretty bad score in my eye. It would probably be a big fat zero if it wasn't for him.

I read the book by Phillip Carlo some years ago now and I was completely engrossed in it. The film does not even come close to the book. It spent all of about three seconds exploring his upbringing which I found shocking. That in my view shaped the beast he went on to become and deserved a much bigger play in the movie. I don't think it really went on to show Richard for his true colours either. In the book he was said to have battered his wife on several occasions, but this was never explored. All in all the film was ever so losely based on this man in my opinion. I saw threads of similarities but not enough that you could call this a biographical film of Richard Kuklinski aka The Iceman.

a-dev
06-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Oh I don't mean that the "styles" of 1991 date it. That's why I mentioned T1, Aliens, and Robocop, all heavily entrenched a lot of mid 80's trappings and so forth. But after dozens of viewings they're still great, engaging films.

T2 relied more heavily on the visual effects of the time and the "surprise" of Arnold being the good guy that time around. And I totally admit, that bit was brilliant. But after the novelty wears off it just becomes a sanitized "The Terminator" that borderline makes fun of itself with the "Bad to the Bone," silly sunglass scene from your avatar, and "I need a vacation."

Imagine if Robocop had said that when Lewis rescued him from the SWAT team. Lame.

Nah, its cool. As you said we just see it differently now. But thanks for stating what still appeals to you about the film.

Yeah pretty much anything you have a problem with I personally don't. Perhaps its the age I was when I saw it first - bout John Connors age - and I'm not even sure if I had already seen T1 by that point to compare it to. Even if I had its likely at that age I would have preferred T2 merely because of the better special effects and good guy Arnie. Now I appreciate T1 as the original and better paced film but I never lost my love of T2. I think they compliment each other nicely and Cameron was right to leave it at that.....or he could have done a future war 2029 film detailing the events leading up to the Terminators being sent back through time. T3, as it was done, was clearly pointless.

ExMem-LarjaThwei
06-10-2013, 05:10 AM
T3 was easily the greatest of the franchise.

a-dev
06-10-2013, 05:23 AM
T3 was easily the greatest of the franchise.

I concur. :lecture

uscmhicks
06-10-2013, 05:50 AM
The Others - 6.5/10

A good film but the problem with movies like this and the sixth sense is that once you know the twist from a previous viewing it's never going to be the same.

VintijDroidGutzz
06-10-2013, 06:04 AM
I concur. :lecture
You know what? I still enjoy repeat viewings of T3.

Mind you - I'm hurling abuse at it all the way through.. kinda like watching a football game. :D

Nah.. it has it's moments. :lol

Uncanny Web-Slinger
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
T2 is a great film. RoboCop is a great film. They aren't the same. And don't need to be compared.

If the internet has taught me anything it's that every movie must be compared to other movies with fanboys duking it out for their movies honour

Gates70
06-10-2013, 08:55 AM
If the internet has taught me anything it's that every movie must be compared to other movies with fanboys duking it out for their movies honour

What the internet thought me is that people act a lot tougher and dumber than they really are in real life.

Khev
06-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah pretty much anything you have a problem with I personally don't. Perhaps its the age I was when I saw it first - bout John Connors age - and I'm not even sure if I had already seen T1 by that point to compare it to. Even if I had its likely at that age I would have preferred T2 merely because of the better special effects and good guy Arnie. Now I appreciate T1 as the original and better paced film but I never lost my love of T2. I think they compliment each other nicely and Cameron was right to leave it at that.....or he could have done a future war 2029 film detailing the events leading up to the Terminators being sent back through time. T3, as it was done, was clearly pointless.

My main problem with T2 at this point is that it just doesn't have any ball.s It wanted to be a preachy summer popcorn movie and Cameron chose to contrive a lot of crap to make it so.

Why didn't the T800 kill any bikers in the bar? Because Cameron didn't want to create a "moral quandry" in having the good guy murder people. Who cares! He's a terminator! AND he "dies" at the end so any bad deeds committed beforehand wouldn't have gone unchecked. Any idiot in the audience already knew that a terminator terminates. If he was really that concerned about Arnold's lethality he should have had the bikers be a bunch of murderous thugs that were in the process of accosting someone when the T800 appeared. Then he could have still dispatched them "justifiably" if that's what Cameron was going for and it wouldn't have made people faint on a second viewing because *gasp* he turned out to be the "good" guy.

What if he blew the black guy's head off after John told him to grab the other guy's hair? Imagine the horror on John's face that would have haunted him the rest of the film and that would have actually driven organically his desire to see no one else killed. But no John is just some magical saint who is unphased by violence but doesn't tolerate it just the same.

Look at Peter Jackson's King Kong. Kong kills dozens of people, most of them innocent. But he was still a sympathetic figure in a PG-13 movie no less. What the hell was Cameron thinking? Make the Terminator into an after school special, complete with a "He-Man cartoon" ending where Linda Hamilton turns to the audience and reminds the kids what they learned that episode? Good grief.

a-dev
06-10-2013, 09:31 AM
My main problem with T2 at this point is that it just doesn't have any ball.s It wanted to be a preachy summer popcorn movie and Cameron chose to contrive a lot of crap to make it so.

Why didn't the T800 kill any bikers in the bar? Because Cameron didn't want to create a "moral quandry" in having the good guy murder people. Who cares! He's a terminator! AND he "dies" at the end so any bad deeds committed beforehand wouldn't have gone unchecked. Any idiot in the audience already knew that a terminator terminates. If he was really that concerned about Arnold's lethality he should have had the bikers be a bunch of murderous thugs that were in the process of accosting someone when the T800 appeared. Then he could have still dispatched them "justifiably" if that's what Cameron was going for and it wouldn't have made people faint on a second viewing because *gasp* he turned out to be the "good" guy.

What if he blew the black guy's head off after John told him to grab the other guy's hair? Imagine the horror on John's face that would have haunted him the rest of the film and that would have actually driven organically his desire to see no one else killed. But no John is just some magical saint who is unphased by violence but doesn't tolerate it just the same.

Look at Peter Jackson's King Kong. Kong kills dozens of people, most of them innocent. But he was still a sympathetic figure in a PG-13 movie no less. What the hell was Cameron thinking? Make the Terminator into an after school special, complete with a "He-Man cartoon" ending where Linda Hamilton turns to the audience and reminds the kids what they learned that episode? Good grief.

Very interesting. That demands a response when I'm not in work and liable to be interrupted every second word.

Khev
06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I hear you (I'm actually posting while "working" :lol) and look forward to your response. :duff

EDIT: Hey a-dev, when you're able to respond do you want to just continue this discussion in the "How do you rank the Terminator films" thread here? http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82014&page=71

Then we can free up this thread for more general movie ratings.

Cocoboloboy
06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Star Trek Into Darkness - 9 / 10

Easily the best film I've seen so far this year.

Now You See Me - 7/10

Enjoyed it. Loved the chemistry between the cast.

Gates70
06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Star Trek Into Darkness - 9 / 10

Easily the best film I've seen so far this year.
Now You See Me - 7/10

Enjoyed it. Loved the chemistry between the cast.

Go say that in the movie thread :lol

Cocoboloboy
06-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Go say that in the movie thread :lol

Just show me the way, Gates. I'm ready.

Cocoboloboy
06-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Oh, and also to throw some fuel on the fire, I Netflixed Wrath of Kan the other day. I hadn't seen it in about 25 years. Thought it aged poorly. 5/10. Shatner's still the Man though.

Gates70
06-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Just show me the way, Gates. I'm ready.

Here you go but make sure you bring your flame suit :lol http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104835&page=177 I also think it's the best movie of the year so far.

Oh, and also to throw some fuel on the fire, I Netflixed Wrath of Kan the other day. I hadn't seen it in about 25 years. Thought it aged poorly. 5/10. Shatner's still the Man though.

For this too! :lol

CelticPredator
06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Wrath of Khan is great. If anything, it's aged perfectly. Like Shatner.

a-dev
06-10-2013, 01:48 PM

This post is 5/10. And it has aged horribly in only a matter of hours. I expect it'll be 0/10 by nights end.

ZaCHw117
06-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Now You See Me: 7/10

Fun movie with some twists. It couldn't decide what type of tone it wanted to have.

a-dev
06-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Soooooo.....

T1 didn't really have any ball.s either. There were no moral quandries in that film. The most questionable thing Reese did was steal the pants off a homeless man. And Arnie as the T-800? He just did what its expected villains will do, he killed people (as the T-1000 did in T2, the villains job, not the hero). My point here is should one have expected T2 to have been more ballsy than T1 was? Certainly if things transpired as you detail it would have been more hardcore than T1.

The T-800 not killing people has always seemed to be a big issue for T2 detractors but its not like the film totally fails to address it. Its quite clear he was going to kill the jock douchbags. And the guys in the bar he just doesn't happen to kill - in the same way the T1 version didn't happen to kill the guy he kicks out of the phone box or the William Fisher cop that he commandeers the police car from or the bouncer who tries to stop him going into Tech Noir. It can be rationalised as mere happenstance that the T2 T-800 didn't kill anyone. He was willing to and was about to.

Now perhaps you can accept that but you still would rather him actually kill someone and see what the repercussions of that would be for John and Sarah. Fair enough. Ultimately you would never see me saying 'yeah I wish they would have done it this way or that way' because I enjoy it exactly as it is. Having said that, I would be intrigued if we could have gotten an ''alternate'' T2 that played out your way. If the T-800 had killed people they couldn't just gloss over that and it could have been a very different film. Undeniably that'd be interesting and there'd be no doubting that this was the same cold killer as in the first film. I'd love to see if, ala King Kong, the T-800 could still be sympathetic despite killing innocent bystanders. Remake anyone?

On a related note T3 pissed me off over a missed opportunity for a harder edge and a potential bit of T1 nostalgia factor - before seeing the film I had read about the TX's ability to control other machines. I thought 'great! Clearly thats going to be used on the T-800 and we're going to see Arnie in villain-mode again and hopefully a recreation of his T1 performance'.......instead all that happened was the T-800 briefly became a Terminator-Zombie and all John Connor had to do was talk him out of it. Wow.

On the preachiness at the end of T2, I get your He-Man cartoon analogy, I do. But again maybe I was just at the age where it affected me. I didn't look at it objectively and over the years I've indoctrinated myself to accept it without any adult cynicism. I mean 'I know now why you cry' is still one of my favorite parts :lol

CriterionCollector
06-10-2013, 03:21 PM
El Infierno 9/10
Great film. The last hour is very reminiscent of Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

mojo customz
06-10-2013, 03:27 PM
good day to die hard
1/10

ZsaszSays
06-10-2013, 03:38 PM

:lol :lol :lol :goodpost:

ZsaszSays
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
What the internet thought me is that people act a lot tougher and dumber than they really are in real life.

Tougher, yeah. I don't know about dumber. :lol

Cocoboloboy
06-10-2013, 05:07 PM
This post is 5/10. And it has aged horribly in only a matter of hours. I expect it'll be 0/10 by nights end.

Well, I'm sure my rating of WoK would take a similar dive should I have to sit thru it again. :)

Josette
06-10-2013, 08:02 PM
The Final Frontier

It's been a while since I've seen this, but ouch. Some of the Spock/Kirk/McCoy stuff is solid, but that's all it has going for it. I can't rate it anything above a 5/10, and I might be being generous. Hated Sybok. Thought a lot of it was stupid.

It's pretty awful.

I've been watching the Trek TOS films for the first time in several years, and my ranking is as follows:

The Motion Picture: 6/10....suffers from being boring, and my lack of caring about Decker or Illia.
The Wrath of Khan: 9.5/10.....the best.
The Search for Spock: 7.5/10....it had its strong moments (hated the Savvik recast though).
The Voyage Home 8.5/10....the most fun.

Haven't gotten to Undiscovered Country yet, but I enjoyed that one a lot when I originally watched it.

Devil_666
06-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 7/10

Liked it.

bigbrocha
06-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Jack Reacher - 8/10
Good Day to Die Hard - 7/10

The Entity
06-10-2013, 11:35 PM

Liked it.

Yep, definitely an enjoyable movie!

Khev
06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
a-dev I said lets take it to the Terminator thread in Aliens/Robots. :panic:

Fine, have it your way. :)

Soooooo.....

T1 didn't really have any ball.s either. There were no moral quandries in that film. The most questionable thing Reese did was steal the pants off a homeless man. And Arnie as the T-800? He just did what its expected villains will do, he killed people (as the T-1000 did in T2, the villains job, not the hero). My point here is should one have expected T2 to have been more ballsy than T1 was? Certainly if things transpired as you detail it would have been more hardcore than T1.

I didn't mean that literaly the only way for a hardcore sci-fi thriller to have "ball.s" is to have a good guy murdering people. That would have just been *one* way T2 could have achieved it, since he wasn't technically "good," just a reprogrammed killing machine. What I like (and your mileage may vary of course) is for R-rated sci-fi thrillers/action thrillers to have a level of unpleasantness or something that's a bit disturbing. Not necessarily "in your face" or every other second of the movie but it is an important aspect IMO.

In The Terminator the T800 was a fearsome Freddy Krueger-esque villain with machine guns. It really had an element of horror to it. Both in the future, (people being blown apart, women crying off screen, and so on) and in the present (him ripping people's hearts out, cops screaming in pain as he slaughters an entire precinct, the door to door slayings, the limping zombie robot, etc.)

I won't go off about the unsettling/disturbing aspects of Aliens and Robocop because they're pretty obvious.

I don't think T2 had any. And any moment where it borderlined on getting intense there'd be an immediate crowd pleasing moment or a laugh (or a Rodney King speech.)

The T-800 not killing people has always seemed to be a big issue for T2 detractors but its not like the film totally fails to address it. Its quite clear he was going to kill the jock douchbags. And the guys in the bar he just doesn't happen to kill - in the same way the T1 version didn't happen to kill the guy he kicks out of the phone box or the William Fisher cop that he commandeers the police car from or the bouncer who tries to stop him going into Tech Noir. It can be rationalised as mere happenstance that the T2 T-800 didn't kill anyone. He was willing to and was about to.

Eh, I find those weak attempts to "address" his killing nature at best. Kind of like Indy drawing his pistol in KOTCS but not shooting anyone. Whoopedy do. You know you think "guns are bad" now Steve so that little gesture doesn't count.

And little John being able to just push the hundred pound hydraulic arm of a T800 aside as its about to shoot someone just made the terminator look weak.

Now perhaps you can accept that but you still would rather him actually kill someone and see what the repercussions of that would be for John and Sarah. Fair enough. Ultimately you would never see me saying 'yeah I wish they would have done it this way or that way' because I enjoy it exactly as it is. Having said that, I would be intrigued if we could have gotten an ''alternate'' T2 that played out your way. If the T-800 had killed people they couldn't just gloss over that and it could have been a very different film. Undeniably that'd be interesting and there'd be no doubting that this was the same cold killer as in the first film. I'd love to see if, ala King Kong, the T-800 could still be sympathetic despite killing innocent bystanders. Remake anyone?

You know I actually agree with you on that in some regard. What's done is done and for better or worse its a pretty iconic movie that greatly imprinted on our society and certainly me (I saw it seven times in the theater!) when I first saw it. I laughed at all the "funny" parts, cheered when he jumped onto the hood of the semi and unloaded an assault rifle into the T1000 and thought it was pretty emotional when he gave the thumbs up at the end.

I just find that what worked the first few times I saw it doesn't still hold true anymore.

On a related note T3 pissed me off over a missed opportunity for a harder edge and a potential bit of T1 nostalgia factor - before seeing the film I had read about the TX's ability to control other machines. I thought 'great! Clearly thats going to be used on the T-800 and we're going to see Arnie in villain-mode again and hopefully a recreation of his T1 performance'.......instead all that happened was the T-800 briefly became a Terminator-Zombie and all John Connor had to do was talk him out of it. Wow.

Ha ha, yeah. It was kind of like the end of The Naked Gun when Frank Dreben was able to talk Priscilla Presley out of her "hypnosis" through sappy and intentionally cheesy dialogue. :lol

"John, is dat you? I'm back and I wuv you!"

Reinhardt
06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Robocop Criterion Collection Audio Commentary - 10/10
Robocop MGM DVD Audio Commentary - 8/10

The Entity
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Horrible Bosses - 7/10

BuddyGus
06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Oz the great and powerful 6-10

Overall, I liked it. Enjoyed the witches but, my god, Franco really is a terrible actor.

ZaCHw117
06-11-2013, 03:25 PM
He's terrible? :lol

Milk, 127 Hours, Spring Breakers, plus all the awesome comedy he's involved with.

Oz has a poor script.

BuddyGus
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Yep. Terrible. My opinion, you are free to like whoever you want.

a-dev
06-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Star Trek Into Generic-ness - 5/10

Reinhardt
06-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Star Trek Into Generic-ness - 5/10

Totally agree. The only thing the movie did for me was get me back into the original movies and episodes of TOS, TNG and DS9, and remind me how good they were and still are.

ZsaszSays
06-11-2013, 07:59 PM
The Devil's Reject's 9/10
RZ's best. :D

Reinhardt
06-11-2013, 08:01 PM

What part of it has aged? Not challenging, just curious.

Walker
06-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Game of Thrones S1- 9.5/10

Uncanny Web-Slinger
06-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Microsoft E3 conference - :lol/10

a-dev
06-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Totally agree. The only thing the movie did for me was get me back into the original movies and episodes of TOS, TNG and DS9, and remind me how good they were and still are.

I thought that despite everything I had read I might still like it but not so as it turned out. Every criticism - both as far as the writing is concerned and all the nerdy stuff too - it was all completely right and it was all just too much. Too much wrong for the good to win out with this particular film. I think I'd rather watch Nemesis tbh.

ZaCHw117
06-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Yep. Terrible. My opinion, you are free to like whoever you want.

Why is Celtic gone whenever he's useful? :lol

Reinhardt
06-11-2013, 11:47 PM
I thought that despite everything I had read I might still like it but not so as it turned out. Every criticism - both as far as the writing is concerned and all the nerdy stuff too - it was all completely right and it was all just too much. Too much wrong for the good to win out with this particular film. I think I'd rather watch Nemesis tbh.

Nemesis LOL. What a piece of crap. This review of Into Darkness is pretty hilarious and touches on a lot of my issues.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLGH0VHUVs

meth head
06-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Oz the great and powerful 6-10

Overall, I liked it. Enjoyed the witches but, my god, Franco really is a terrible actor.

Completely disagree. I think Franco is a great actor. I suggest you watch Milk and 127 hours.

CelticPredator
06-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Nemesis LOL. What a piece of crap. This review of Into Darkness is pretty hilarious and touches on a lot of my issues.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLGH0VHUVs

Great review. And I like the movie.

And no. Nemesis is ****ing awful in every single way possible. One of the worst movies ever made.

K07
06-12-2013, 05:52 AM
I'd never sit through Nemesis again. Into Darkness, although merely average in my eyes, is a lot of fun at least. Nemesis. Oh, I think I like Insurrection better. I wouldn't know though. I'd seen both in theaters once and on VHS once.

a-dev
06-12-2013, 07:45 AM
The space battle in Nemesis was cooler. The Enterprise actually fought back in that one.

SnakeDoctor
06-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Superman Returns ... 6.5/10.

I hadn't seen this in years -- though I've heard people complain about it a lot since then. It wasn't as bad as I recall. It is watchable. It is a complete failure as an attempted reboot. But, it actually works fairly well as an ending to the Donner trilogy ... Superman: The Movie; Superman II Donner Cut; Superman Returns.

There were some cool scenes in there -- the plane crash, the car catch, the Daily Planet globe. The suit looked great. The casting was great, with one notable exception. I liked Routh's Superman and Clark Kent ... though he was asked to do too much of a Reeve imitation to really make anything of it. Spacey's Lex Luthor was a little over-the-top on occasion ... still not sinister enough ... but a LOT better than Hackman. He's still no Rosenbaum. The side parts -- Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, Richard White, Miss Tessmacher (or whatever her name was in this) -- were all well cast.

The low points ...

The script wasn't very good at all. It seemed like Singer spent a lot of time thinking about the physics of flight, casting, the look of the costume, homages to Donner, and the overall ambiance of the movie ... and almost no time thinking about finding a story worth telling, or considering that he was making Superman into a weird jilted lover.

Lex Luthor's plan is stupid from top-to-bottom. Luthor is supposed to be a mastermind ... not Brain from Pinky and the Brain. The illegitimate son/ Superman-is-a-deadbeat-dad plotline was poorly conceived, and has no place in a Superman movie. And, they didn't even think ahead ... where do you go in a sequel? Superman's son sidekick? Kill him off and send Superman on a revenge quest? Complete mess.

Lois Lane is really the only casting trainwreck. Too young, and she can't act.

There are enough high points to make this watchable if you consider it closure to the Donner movies rather than a failed reboot attempt. As a reboot ... it is too Donner-dependent. As an end to the trilogy ... it fits well enough.

SnakeDoc

The Entity
06-12-2013, 11:28 PM
The Three Musketeers (2011) - 7.5/10
Utterly silly, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

TheObsoleteMan
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters - 6.5/10

Fun premise but in desperate need of punchier dialogue. It's kinda like Army of Darkness without all of the memorable one-liners.

CelticPredator
06-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Just watched Escape from L.A for the first time. I've avoided it for years because I heard it was so bad.

Eh. It was OK. Not great. Had a few good moments. But for the most part, it was just a remake of the first. Kurt was great as Snake, so that was nice to watch. But the CGI was horrible, and the action was iffy at best because of it. I didn't hate it, but didn't like it either.

That basketball scene though...what the holy ****. Surfing scene doesn't come close to that one.

Deckard
06-13-2013, 12:05 AM
The surfing scene is probably about the only part of that movie I actually like, it's just so over the top and 80s. The hang gliders fit it nicely too even though the effects are really poor. The rest is a less interesting remake in every imaginable way. You cannot replace Donald Pleasance and Lee Van Cleef. I love John but this and village were a low water mark where his career prety much took a nose dive and never managed to recover.

CelticPredator
06-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Indeed. There was some good stuff. I never hated that surfing scene. It was what it was. But ultimately, it wasn't as bad as I thought, nor was it as interesting as I hoped.

Funniest part about the whole movie was the opening which said "2013- NOW" . Just odd that I waited so long to see it until the year the movie was set. :lol

Eli26
06-13-2013, 03:14 AM
Indeed. There was some good stuff. I never hated that surfing scene. It was what it was. But ultimately, it wasn't as bad as I thought, nor was it as interesting as I hoped.

Funniest part about the whole movie was the opening which said "2013- NOW" . Just odd that I waited so long to see it until the year the movie was set. :lol

It has the late great Stacy Keach in it. Outside of that it is horrible in every way. EVERY WAY.

Eli26
06-13-2013, 03:15 AM

Liked it.

The end was a bummer.. Hard to like a movie with such a bummer of an ending, but it was well done for what it was.

CelticPredator
06-13-2013, 03:18 AM
It has the late great Stacy Keach in it. Outside of that it is horrible in every way. EVERY WAY.

Eh. It had Kurt Russell as Snake. That made it watchable.

a-dev
06-13-2013, 07:33 AM
The end was a bummer.. Hard to like a movie with such a bummer of an ending, but it was well done for what it was.

Why, what happened? :monkey3

Darth Cruel
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Have you ever watched a movie that you had such hope for that you watched it all the way through and refused to give up hope until there was only about 15 minutes left of then you finished watching it because it didn't make sense to quit so close the the end?

Then you were probably watching "The Sixth Man".

3/10 - I expect much, much...MUCH more from any of the Wayans brothers.

CelticPredator
06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Why, what happened? :monkey3

At the end Steve Carell told Kira Knightly he was making Dinner for Schmucks II.

CriterionCollector
06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Of Dolls and Murder 9/10 (Great documentary for figure collectors and customizers). I also recommend Marwencol if you guys haven't seen that.

BuddyGus
06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
At the end Steve Carell told Kira Knightly he was making Dinner for Schmucks II.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Classic!

DreaAlGhul
06-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Haven't seen anything since Iron Man 3 & I thought it was pure fun. I enjoyed it!
8/10

Voorhees27
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Arrested Development - season 2 8.5/10

Cocoboloboy
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
What part of it has aged? Not challenging, just curious.

The whole thing I guess. Can't pinpoint anything really specific. I just think of other movies from around and a little before that time period like Raiders, ANH, ESB, and Jaws to name a few that I can watch over and over and enjoy them. WoK just seemed really cheezy when I compare it to how it looked to me when I was 8.

TheObsoleteMan
06-13-2013, 08:27 PM
The whole thing I guess. Can't pinpoint anything really specific. I just think of other movies from around and a little before that time period like Raiders, ANH, ESB, and Jaws to name a few that I can watch over and over and enjoy them. WoK just seemed really cheezy when I compare it to how it looked to me when I was 8.

You're trying to tell us that a movie with William Shatner and Ricardo Montalban as the leads is cheesy? The hell you say. :lol

snoop101
06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Man of Steel

Just saw it. Everyone gave good performances, Cavill was Excellent and Adams played a great Lois. Costner definitely stood out. It Really redefined the term "action packed." It doesn't let up for one second, at all lol. The CGI was also top notch. The only slight disappointment is that it could've been more story driven. Best Superman movie by far. Probably one of if not the best action movie out there.

8/10

Kuzeh
06-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Man of Steel 8.5/10
:rock!

The Josh
06-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Man of Steel 9/10

Eli26
06-14-2013, 03:50 AM
I will go see it Man of Steel only because most of my friends are nudging me too... Damn friends... pffft.

Nuka Cola Kidd
06-14-2013, 04:06 AM
Man of Steel 9.5/10

Eli26
06-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Eh. It had Kurt Russell as Snake. That made it watchable.

Not for me, and I like Kurt Russell.

Eli26
06-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Has anyone seen This is the End? Lots of great reviews... I am intrigued. Lots of great Canadian actors in it and a superb overall cast.

I am more excited for this than Man of Steel.

Reinhardt
06-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Interesting. I thought several of the themes still hold strong today. Old age, feelings of not being needed anymore, dealing with loss and failure, rebirth... Additionally, the uniforms are still the best uniforms in all of Star Trek lore, the final battle in the Nebula had more excitement and tension than anything out of the new Star Trek movies, and Spock's death is still an amazingly powerful scene today. And Khan... still one of the best villains in all of Star Trek (IMO)

K07
06-14-2013, 06:46 AM
I just watched WoK a few weeks ago in its entirety for the first time. Meh. It was good. It was really good filmmaking in terms of technical details. But it was also very simple storytelling. It wasn't as deep as I imagined it would be. It felt a lot like Moby ****. Khan was Ahab and destroyed himself, his crew, and his stolen ship he could have flown to freedom in with the hopes of revenge. And honestly, he's so ticked off at Kirk but he was a bad guy doing bad things! He makes it sound as if what Kirk did was wrong. Nope. Marooning a bunch of dangerous criminals on an inhospitable world is not the most immoral thing a man can do. It just felt light to me and didn't have nearly the amount of complexity I expected it to have. It might be one of the better ST movies still, but just not leagues better than the rest as the impression is given by so many.

Anyways, randomly picked some movies on Netflix the other day:
Lay the Favorite - 4/10
The Details - 7.5/10

a-dev
06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
TWOK $h!ts on STID from a magnificent height. Thats all I have to say about that.

Dark_Knight_89
06-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Man of Steel

This was a great movie! No its not the greatest comic book movie ever made, but it is easily in the Top 5. This is the first time I have watched Superman on film and really felt power.

8/10

Bring on the sequel! "Man of Tomorrow" or "Last Son of Krypton" spring to mind!

krec9
06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Man of steel 9/10 really enjoyed it .

hunnipot85
06-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Man of Steel 10/10
Fast and Furious 6 7/10
Great Gatsby 7/10
Star Trek 2 8/10

Mad Old Lu
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Jack Reacher: 9/10
Very impressed and took me by surprise at how good it was. I hope it becomes a franchise. I would love to see another one. Such a great character.

The Campaign: 6/10
Decent with a few huge laughs.

Hyde Park On Hudson: 4/10
Disappointing. I was hoping for a bit more humor, since it was being sold as a light, quirky period piece. They also sold it more about FDR and the visit from the King and Queen, but it was mostly (and from the viewpoint of) his distant cousin with whom he has an affair.

Promised Land: 5/10
Eh. It was ok. It was a bit jarring because you didn't know which side you were supposed to be rooting for, but I suppose that was part of the movie's point.

Darth Zangetsu
06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Man of Steel 8/10. i loved the film. I can't wait to see more of this version of the DCU.

CelticPredator
06-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Has anyone seen This is the End? Lots of great reviews... I am intrigued. Lots of great Canadian actors in it and a superb overall cast.

I am more excited for this than Man of Steel.

It's really, really really great. I loved every second.

The Entity
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Limitless - 6.5/10

It had a good premise and some nice plottwists, but some things were just too farfetched...

There's a man with hedgeclippers, a dude with a baseball bat, but you decide the best way to deal with an attacker is swinging a kid with iceskates at him...

Also drinking that nasty gangster's blood? Pretty messed up...

Reinhardt
06-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Man of Steel 7/10
Fantastic action, sound, and visuals. LOVED the look of Krypton and how "sci-fi" it was. Cavill embodied Superman. But the movie was too rushed with very little character development. An additional 30 minutes of character development (and no action) would have made this movie legendary. And if they got rid of the female military Captain who thought Supes was hot. She was a Captain?!?

Darth Zangetsu
06-14-2013, 01:27 PM
TWOK $h!ts on STID from a magnificent height. Thats all I have to say about that.

can't argue with sound logic and common sense. :duff cheers mate!

meth head
06-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Man of Steel 9/10

Skywalker(OG)Kush
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Man of steel 9/10

snoop101
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Glad to see that most freaks love MOS. I thought it was great too, It's hilarious how serious the "internet critics" are. :lol

RagingBull
06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
MoS 9/10 exceeded my expectations :clap

AIR
06-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised with the good reception MoS is getting. Up yours, rotten tomatoes :lol

CelticPredator
06-14-2013, 03:51 PM
And if it was getting a positive rating, you would be praising the site.

AIR
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
And if it was getting a positive rating, you would be praising the site.

Probably:monkey3

SnakeDoctor
06-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Man of Steel 9.5/10. Excellent.

Couple of minor gripes ...

Jonathan Kent wasn't quite the moral rock in this one that he ought to be. Did he really suggest Clark let a busload of schoolkids die? Good grief.

Wasn't crazy about the death of Jor-el. Or the death of Jonathan Kent, for that matter.

The words "Kneel before Zod" should've appeared somewhere. They would've fit toward the end, after he'd finally had-it.

Wish they'd have worked Williams' theme in somewhere. Even if just the end credits.

Otherwise, brilliant.

SnakeDoc

Shaun & Ed Fan
06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
This Is The End 8/10
Funny one liners,funny story line.
Danny McBride at the end with Channing Tatum as a gimp I lost it!!!
Also the Backstreet Boys ending was funny!

CelticPredator
06-14-2013, 05:18 PM
That ending was bat**** crazy. I never saw that coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nPf7w7pDI

CriterionCollector
06-14-2013, 06:15 PM
This is the End-6.5/10
I wanted to like it more, but it kind of faltered at the end.

Michael Cera getting rimmed and blown while drinking a Caprisun was hilarious though!

OSCORP
06-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Man Of Steel

7/10

Gates70
06-14-2013, 07:48 PM
MOS - 8/10 I didn't really like Michael Shannon as Zod. STID is still the summer's best movie :lol

ZaCHw117
06-14-2013, 07:57 PM
The Man of Steel: Holy *********/10.

What a ****ing awesome movie. For someone who's always viewed Supes as a cheesy, somewhat boring character, this movie completely turned my POV around.

It's just seriously, kick ***. Go see it.

Voorhees27
06-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Zach are you high?

firefly2121
06-14-2013, 08:16 PM

What a ****ing awesome movie. For someone who's always viewed Supes as a cheesy, somewhat boring character, this movie completely turned my POV around.

:hi5:

Agreed..

MOS....9/10

a-dev
06-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Man of Steel ......6/10

After I saw The Avengers I could easily have watched it right through again straight after. This one I feel no desire to watch again till the blu-ray at the earliest.

Darkseed
06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Man of Steel: 7/10 - a solid film to start the franchise but (for me) it didn't deliver the knock out punch to be the "all that" Supes film.

ZaCHw117
06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Zach are you high?

:lol :lol

No.

:(

Walker
06-14-2013, 09:24 PM

:rock:rock:rock

Awesome to hear.

Voorhees27
06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
:lol :lol

No.

:(

:( well get on it then.

DiFabio
06-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Don't encourage him, he's cleaning himself up.

Voorhees27
06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
he's cleaning himself up.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee351/roynajmeddine/7ee332a22c7e709775a1127405154a29.jpg

ZaCHw117
06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
:( well get on it then.

Outta town, luckily I packed a J. :lol :yess:

Don't encourage him, he's cleaning himself up.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7yio9pXFU1qgocy3o1_500.gif

jrice73
06-14-2013, 10:28 PM
MOS 9/10. Loved it even more the second time out.

KneelBeforrSmallville
06-14-2013, 10:43 PM
MAN OF STEEL 9.5/10

The Movie was Amazing! Yes im a massive Superman Fan and Yes i like Zack Snyder. I feel like it could of been longer, the story had alot going on and yes it was 2 and a half hours but it moved, 5 minutes could of went a long way. BUT BRAVO TO THE CAST & CREW!!!

ZsaszSays
06-15-2013, 12:04 AM
End Of Watch 8.5/10

Finally got around to seeing it. Didnt expect it to be as good as it is. Awesome movie.

The Entity
06-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Mystic River - 8.5/10

plasmid303
06-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Man of Steel 6.5/10

A beautiful mess.

Walker
06-15-2013, 01:17 AM
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button- 8/10

End Of Watch 8.5/10

Finally got around to seeing it. Didnt expect it to be as good as it is. Awesome movie.

:lecture :lecture:lecture

CelticPredator
06-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Man of Steel 6.5/10

A beautiful mess.

That's a great way of putting it.

Dark_Knight_89
06-15-2013, 02:32 AM
End ofWatch - 9/10

Finally got around to watching this. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I didn't realise the whole thing was almost like a pseudo-documentary. It worked very well and captured the rawness of the battle between the LAPD and the Cartels.

JefftheCollector
06-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Man of Steel 9/10

Uncanny Web-Slinger
06-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Man of Steel - 9/10

My worries over hearing very different thoughts people had on this movie were unfounded it seems.

There was lots of emotion and great story foundation that the plot of the movie is built on. The action was fantastic, it wasn't too frenetic like transformers but it was never ending and it makes you fatigued & disinterested after a point, kindof like the never ending epilogues in ROTK.

General zod to me is probably the most fleshed out villain since Magneto, a character he reminds me of. Both were doing what they were doing for a good reason, they wanted to preserve their race they were just going about it the wrong way.

Kal El was good, at first he was a bit douchey, especailly.

telling his Dad he was just a guy who found him, that was cold.

The great thing is he really evolves throughout the movie and becomes and different man by the end. His character reminded me of Peter in ASM, both were green, still learning to use their powers, both grew over the course of the movie.

Cavill could've been more easygoing and not so uptight seeming throughout

krec9
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Man of Steel - 9/10

My worries over hearing very different thoughts people had on this movie were unfounded it seems.

There was lots of emotion and great story foundation that the plot of the movie is built on. The action was fantastic, it wasn't too frenetic like transformers but it was never ending and it makes you fatigued & disinterested after a point, kindof like the never ending epilogues in ROTK.

General zod to me is probably the most fleshed out villain since Magneto, a character he reminds me of. Both were doing what they were doing for a good reason, they wanted to preserve their race they were just going about it the wrong way.

Kal El was good, at first he was a bit douchey, especailly.

telling his Dad he was just a guy who found him, that was cold.

The great thing is he really evolves throughout the movie and becomes and different man by the end. His character reminded me of Peter in ASM, both were green, still learning to use their powers, both grew over the course of the movie.

Cavill could've been more easygoing and not so uptight seeming throughout

I agree great post.

Rorywan
06-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Man of Steel:
3/10

Cheesy acting (apart from Crowe-2 points) a good first act on Krypton (1 point) and a messy, dumb-dialogue-laden, teenage-Ps3-videogame-fest for the second and third acts. People booed in my theatre.
Made ASM look like a Kubrick movie.

Skywalker(OG)Kush
06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Man of Steel:
3/10

Cheesy acting (apart from Crowe-2 points) a good first act on Krypton (1 point) and a messy, dumb-dialogue-laden, teenage-Ps3-videogame-fest for the second and third acts. People booed in my theatre.

Do you live in an elderly (60+ ) community by chance, because that may explain the reaction in your theater. There was no booing in my theater, quite the opposite actually, a lot of clapping after the final scene.

a-dev
06-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Man of Steel:
3/10

Quite a turnaround for you, didn't you like it on first viewing?

Niltusk
06-15-2013, 11:39 AM

He said he was drunk on first viewing. :lol

a-dev
06-15-2013, 11:41 AM
He said he was drunk on first viewing. :lol

Ah. I didn't go to the pub till after the film. I'd rather have gone straight home to be honest. Damn pub was too crowded and loud and I just wanted to talk about the film.

Niltusk
06-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Ah. I didn't go to the pub till after the film. I'd rather have gone straight home to be honest. Damn pub was too crowded and loud and I just wanted to talk about the film.

At least you've seen it. I should just be finishing at the theatre, but the sitter canceled on us. :(

Probably won't make it til tomorrow.

Rorywan
06-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Nah I wasn't drunk, but I had a few drinks, I was amped up to like the movie more. But even then I thought there was waay too much CG as I said a while back. On second viewing I still liked the Krypton opening and Crowe. But I the flaws of the movie became very apparent. A lot of it was just messy and dumb. And I ****ing cringed at times. Kal? Seriously? Jor and Kal? Diane Lane was horrible. The tornado was ridiculous.

Glenn Ford looked just looked at his wrist and said "oh, no!" 30 or 40 seconds of film which had more integrity and emotional whallop than 2 hours plus of badly put together expensive trash. IMO.

The Entity
06-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Only God Forgives - 7/10
Definitely not for everyone, but I found it to be a pretty decent film. Quite brutal and somewhat strange.

CriterionCollector
06-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Man of Steel 8/10

Now excuse me I need to go to IHOP and Sears for some odd reason.

wanderlai
06-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Man of Steel 5.5/10 big letdown. A mess IMO. Tom Cruise WoW type machine, zip drive...lol, the guy playing Zod sucked. Formula has been done much better. Only positive I liked the guy playing Superman and the heat vision was well done.

This is the End. 8.5/10 very funny, well done.

hehateme23
06-15-2013, 03:44 PM
This is the end 9/10
hilarious all the way

wanderlai
06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Poor Jonah and the big **** demon...lol

Darkseed
06-15-2013, 07:51 PM
The Crow - 8.5 /10 - I absolutely love this movie

Duck
06-15-2013, 09:11 PM
This is the End 9/10 Hands down the funniest movie I have seen in a long long time. The last one I can think of that made me laugh almost as hard was 21 jump street. Even then this movie destroyed it.

ebor
06-15-2013, 10:22 PM
MOS 8/10

CriterionCollector
06-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Room 237 7.5/10

VintijDroidGutzz
06-16-2013, 12:36 AM
I watched 'BLUE COLLAR' for the first time last - 8 / 10.

Richard Pryor
Harvey Keitel
Yaphett Koto

Pryor was playing serious in this one - good film.

The Entity
06-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Troy (Director's Cut) - 9.5/10
The first time I saw the Director's Cut of this movie. To me this DC is almost as significant as the Kingdom of Heaven one. It makes the movie so much better due to more character interaction. Especially the introduction of Odysseus was an excellent addition. Also the picture quality of the Blu was stunning! :rock :rock :rock

the angry orc
06-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Man of Steel...9/10. Would have sat and watched it again if I hadn't had to work the next morning.

Book of Eli...7/10.

The Entity
06-16-2013, 09:02 AM
The Adjustment Bureau - 7/10

Vacation - 7.5/10

a-dev
06-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Man of Steel...9/10. Would have sat and watched it again if I hadn't had to work the next morning.

I just didn't have that. In fact I'd have considered it a chore to have to do that.

kanine
06-16-2013, 10:05 AM
The Last Stand 7/10, just glad to see Arnie back on screen.

Niltusk
06-16-2013, 10:11 AM
The first time I saw the Director's Cut of this movie. To me this DC is almost as significant as the Kingdom of Heaven one. It makes the movie so much better due to more character interaction. Especially the introduction of Odysseus was an excellent addition. Also the picture quality of the Blu was stunning! :rock :rock :rock

Just to get a gauge since I haven't seen the Dir. Cut, what would you consider the Theat. Release as on a 1-10 scale?

Niltusk
06-16-2013, 10:13 AM
The Last Stand 7/10, just glad to see Arnie back on screen.

I thought it was very cool that they had his action scenes more appropriate to his age and utilizing his size with grappling, etc.. thought they handled his age very gracefully.

the angry orc
06-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I just didn't have that. In fact I'd have considered it a chore to have to do that.

yeah, different strokes and all i guess...i just really enjoyed it. even considering the movie had to be stopped for a tornado warning and for every one to 'get to cover'

Niltusk
06-16-2013, 10:22 AM
yeah, different strokes and all i guess...

And an Iron ***, damn Orc, thats 5 hours +, at least take the night off and go back the next day. :lol

the angry orc
06-16-2013, 10:39 AM
:lol :lol I don't get to the movies that often. Have to take advantage of it.

The Entity
06-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Just to get a gauge since I haven't seen the Dir. Cut, what would you consider the Theat. Release as on a 1-10 scale?

About an 8/10 I think.
The addition of the extra scenes (a lot of them containing dialogue and character development) made it an even better watch. Also there's a lot of extra blood and gore which adds a bit more to the realism when getting stabbed or cut with a sword.
During the burning of Troy not even women and babies are spared and I think that's new as well. After seeing the DC I can only describe the theatrical version as a toned down, more or less, family friendly one.

annihilate22
06-16-2013, 11:56 AM

Umm...never knew Troy had a DC. This I've gotta see.

mojo customz
06-16-2013, 12:00 PM
good day to die hard
0/10
sad they ruined this franchise..................

wanderlai
06-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Sling Blade 10/10

DarthDiggler
06-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Man of Steel 9/10.

jstep13
06-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Man if Steel: crap/10 What a major disappointment

Reinhardt
06-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Man if Steel: crap/10 What a major disappointment

We're a minority on the boards. I didn't think it was crap, but was definitely disappointed. The filmmakers decided to forego character, story, and careful editing for action, CGI, and Michael Bay senseless destruction.

spindrift
06-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Man of Steel 8/10...really enjoyed it

spindrift
06-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Man of Steel 8/10

Now excuse me I need to go to IHOP and Sears for some odd reason.

Don't bother- they both have been leveled by Zod...

Niltusk
06-16-2013, 05:02 PM
MOS: Great reboot, totally different vibe from the original while maintaining familiar characters.

Zod is one of the greatest "villains" I've seen on screen, and I use the term loosely as he was actually the true hero, but those House of El *****es kept getting in the way. :lol

Loved most of the casting, didn't have alot of time to warm up to the new Supes, but this was a very busy, very fast movie considering it was well over 2 hours.

Some of the smaller roles were wonderfully cast (like the Colonel) which is always a nice touch.

Definitely a fan of this new franchise. :clap

wanderlai
06-16-2013, 07:34 PM
We're a minority on the boards. I didn't think it was crap, but was definitely disappointed. The filmmakers decided to forego character, story, and careful editing for action, CGI, and Michael Bay senseless destruction.

:exactly: agreed

CelticPredator
06-16-2013, 07:45 PM
^ Agreed....

ZaCHw117
06-16-2013, 09:19 PM

The pacing, character arks and the story were the strongest part of the flick IMO.

It doesn't help that the action was the best I've seen in a superhero flick since "hulk smash" in avengers.

Niltusk
06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
The pacing, character arks and the story were the strongest part of the flick IMO.

It doesn't help that the action was the best I've seen in a superhero flick since "hulk smash" in avengers.

:goodpost:

Considering everything we got, I thought the pacing was great, and I am not a flashback fan.

jstep13
06-16-2013, 09:30 PM

^ Agreed....

:goodpost: Agreed

a-dev
06-16-2013, 09:50 PM

^ Agreed....

I........concur.

EXOTICLEX
06-17-2013, 12:41 AM
MOS 8.5/10 I would have given it a 9 on visuals and they way they told the story but I knocked it down a .5 point due to the unlimited amount of buildings Kal-El and Zod flew through....

EXOTICLEX
06-17-2013, 12:44 AM

^ Agreed....

I........concur.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwkl_8SGCfw

a-dev
06-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Thats actually the very film and scene I have in mind whenever I say 'I concur' :lol

the angry orc
06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
American Psycho...8/10

jimjimmyjones85
06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Man of Steel...

I don't like to rate movies as we all know it's x/5 or x/10 ... or whatever... so I won't bother.

All I know is this...

It made me like the franchise again and gave me hope for the direction of the character.

I wanted to arrange to watch it again to pick up everything I missed !

And most important to me... It spurred a non-stop discussion with my teenage son the entire ride home.

Some key points I enjoyed:

Not seeing Jor-el go out like a punk. Bad *** !

Seeing Superman's lack of finesse in his fighting skills. You could see he is new to this even with all the cells in his body. He tackles a lot giving way to what we know of his love for football

J. Kent died showing Clark he didn't just talk the talk... showing us his true greatness as a father, as conflicted as he was in what he had to do to keep Clark safe

Great spoilers for thrown in for the entire DC universe.

When you thought it was over... it wasn't... What a rush !

Craze
06-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Man Of Steel: 9/10

Darth Cruel
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
The Love Child of Freddy Mercury and John Travolta saves the Earth from an Alien Invasion After Making A Guest Appearance On Deadliest Catch...errr...I mean...Man of Steel...7/10.

Excellent movie. From time-to-time, during the movie, I was actually reminded that it was supposed to be a Superman movie. But I would have liked it a lot even if it wasn't.

Though, as I mentioned in the MOS thread...I still liked the last guy that played Superman better.

Best line in the movie..."On Earth, it's an S."

CriterionCollector
06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
I want to see MOS again based solely on the fights. It was sweet how quickly they moved. It was like watching combos in Street Fighter.

Pineapple
06-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 8.5/10

Avoided this movie at the theaters and at redbox for the longest time. Just looked kinda stupid. Glad i watched this movie. It just plain fun to watch in the same way I like Feast.

Ultron-7
06-17-2013, 12:45 PM
MoS - a perfect return to the big screen for Superman - 10/10

A Flash movie with those effects has to happen now!

DBOK
06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
MoS- 5/10 Not a Superman movie.

ZsaszSays
06-17-2013, 04:34 PM
This Is 40 3/10

Over 2 hours of crappppp.

wanderlai
06-17-2013, 04:42 PM
The MoS Deadliest Catch scene...I had my hope up to see Sig or the Hillstrands...Sig would have been a better Zod than that guy who looked like he needed to sneeze or smelled a rotten fart all the time.

a-dev
06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Superman Returns - *sigh* - 5/10

It gets those points for using the Williams theme, the plane rescue and stadium bit, the kryptonite beating from Lex (much more effecting than anything in MOS), some good rescues, the way they incorporated Brando Jor El stuff and an overall nice visual aesthetic.

Unfortunately, overall its still boring as ****, with a flat uninspired script, wierdly edited and oddly quiet in so many scenes. I don't know if it was supposed to be dramatic silence but it added to the boredom factor. Lois sucks and so does the kid and the whole idea of him. Cavill is probably better as Superman than Routh was - Routh is a bit too boyish both in his looks and his voice tbh.

Man of Steel didn't quite cut it for me either (I rated it a 6) but hopefully some more traditional Superman elements will come into play in the sequel. Every criticism that there's been I pretty much agree with but, as I've said a lot over the past few days, if it merely had the Williams theme I reckon I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Don't give me it wouldn't fit. The Bond theme can be found in the most stupid and ridiculous of the Moore films and the grittiest and most realistic of the Craig films. You can't ground Superman in reality - he's innately absurd and fantastical, and theres nothing wrong with that, so give him back the music he deserves.

Anyway I said earlier I'd shut up about that but having watched Superman Returns again I couldn't help myself just now.

CelticPredator
06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
This Is 40 3/10

You don't have a soul. :lol

CelticPredator
06-17-2013, 07:58 PM

It gets those points for using the Williams theme, the plane rescue and stadium bit, the kryptonite beating from Lex (much more effecting than anything in MOS), some good rescues, the way they incorporated Brando Jor El stuff and an overall nice visual aesthetic.

Unfortunately, overall its still boring as ****, with a flat uninspired script, wierdly edited and oddly quiet in so many scenes. I don't know if it was supposed to be dramatic silence but it added to the boredom factor. Lois sucks and so does the kid and the whole idea of him. Cavill is probably better as Superman than Routh was - Routh is a bit too boyish both in his looks and his voice tbh.

Anyway I said earlier I'd shut up about that but having watched Superman Returns again I couldn't help myself just now.

Not really totally defending it...I agree with your score, and review...but wait a while, and just watch it as a film. Not as a Superman movie. It's kinda alright. But as a superhero summer flick.....:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

The Entity
06-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Valhalla Rising - 7.5/10

GasparZizou
06-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Man of Steel 10/10.

**** all those pompous critics trying to make a name for themselves.

It's baffling how they praised the Avengers and bashed MoS.

uscmhicks
06-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Silent Hill Revelations - 3.5/10

My Brother the Devil - 7/10 - imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076897/?ref_=sr_1)

The Hunt - 7/10 - imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/)

The last two are both well worth a watch.

OSCORP
06-18-2013, 05:48 AM

Man of Steel didn't quite cut it for me either (I rated it a 6) but hopefully some more traditional Superman elements will come into play in the sequel. Every criticism that there's been I pretty much agree with but, as I've said a lot over the past few days, if it had merely had the Williams theme I reckon I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Don't give me it wouldn't fit. The Bond theme can be found in the most stupid and ridiculous of the Moore films and the grittiest and most realistic of the Craig films. You can't ground Superman in reality - he's innately absurd and fantastical, and theres nothing wrong with that, so give him back the music he deserves.

Feel exactly the same way on both movies.:goodpost:

OSCORP
06-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Signs 8.5/10

ZsaszSays
06-18-2013, 10:29 AM
You don't have a soul. :lol

:lol Im sorry dude! I usually like most of Judd Apatow's movies but this was just bad. It drug on and on and was just him being a p r i c k and her being bats h i t crazy.

CriterionCollector
06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
V/H/S 2 8/10
Not as good as the first one IMO, but still creepy as hell. The segment "Safe Haven" is directed by Gareth Evans. He directed Raid Redemption. It was by far the strongest segment.

Kibagami
06-18-2013, 12:08 PM
V/H/S 2 8/10
Not as good as the first one IMO, but still creepy as hell. The segment "Safe Haven" is directed by Gareth Evans. He directed Raid Redemption. It was by far the strongest segment.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!? It's out!? Thanks man. I'm going to go look for it.

CelticPredator
06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
:lol Im sorry dude! I usually like most of Judd Apatow's movies but this was just bad. It drug on and on and was just him being a p r i c k and her being bats h i t crazy.

WHOOPS. I'm sorry. I thought you said THIS IS THE END. :lol

I totally, totally misread that. You might just have a soul after all. :lol:slap

The Josh
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 9/10

CriterionCollector
06-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!? It's out!? Thanks man. I'm going to go look for it.

I ordered it through Amazon streaming.

CriterionCollector
06-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Just an idea I think to make this thread more fun we should give those movies we disliked new names based on our impression of the film and boardies can guess the film.
Here's my first one:

Incestuous Siblings versus Goths- 4/10

Darth Cruel
06-18-2013, 02:19 PM
The MoS Deadliest Catch scene...I had my hope up to see Sig or the Hillstrands...Sig would have been a better Zod than that guy who looked like he needed to sneeze or smelled a rotten fart all the time.

I thought he looked like he constantly had a dip of tobacco in his lower lip.

Signs 8.5/10

I really like this movie. One of my own all-time favorites. Not like in the top ten, but absolutely in my top 100...maybe even top 50.

ZsaszSays
06-18-2013, 03:35 PM
WHOOPS. I'm sorry. I thought you said THIS IS THE END. :lol

I totally, totally misread that. You might just have a soul after all. :lol:slap

:lol Its all good. I havent had the chance to see This Is The End yet but it looks histarical.

GasparZizou
06-18-2013, 05:17 PM
V/H/S 2 8/10

Wow, didn't know it was out, the 1st one was unexpectedly good.

CriterionCollector
06-18-2013, 06:30 PM
The latest installment of "Hey You know those are used for cutting down trees!" - 3/10

occulum
06-18-2013, 06:43 PM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 9/10

we had no idea! :lol ..... sorry. Im a cynical ******* and must entertain myself. .... this wont be the last time .... :monkey1.....

JAWS
06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
This is the End 8.5 out of 10..

I actually never wanted it to end.

JAWS
06-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Man of Steel 10/10.

**** all those pompous critics trying to make a name for themselves.

It's baffling how they praised the Avengers and bashed MoS.

It's because Avengers had a heart and characters we cared about. MoS had lots of pretty SFX

a-dev
06-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Ah The Avengers backlash. It was inevitable.

ZsaszSays
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Lawless 8/10

jimjimmyjones85
06-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Ah The Avengers backlash. It was inevitable.

LOL. :exactly:

EVILFACE
06-19-2013, 05:36 AM
This Is 40 3/10

Chuckled a few times, but that movie would.not.end.

Eli26
06-19-2013, 05:39 AM
Man of Steel -

First Half - 4 out of 10
Rushed and throwing too much at a wall, hoping something sticks.

Second Half: 8 out of 10
Loads of action and fun. Even then, some parts could have been better delivered.

Total Score: 6 out of 10
Gee Golly, I can do math.

EVILFACE
06-19-2013, 05:43 AM
This is 40 -

First 30 seconds - 2 out of 10
Is this over yet?

next 20 min: 1 out of 10
zzzzzzzzz

Next 30 minutes: 4 out of 10
Hey, some naked bewbs and fart jokes.

Rest of movie: 1 out of 10
Please just end this ****.

Total Score: 2 out of 10

jimjimmyjones85
06-19-2013, 06:44 AM

This is 40 -

Is this over yet?

zzzzzzzzz

Agreed ! I found it depressing. SO much shouting !!! Not enough funny.

jimjimmyjones85
06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
It's because Avengers had a heart and characters we cared about. MoS had lots of pretty SFX

I found this by Goyer interesting:

You can't force it. The DC characters are different than the Marvel characters. They've been around much longer, particularly the big three: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. The Marvel characters that Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko came up with, they came along, in some cases, thirty years later. The DC characters are deeper archetypes, and those Marvel characters were in reaction to these archetypes. My grandmother is ninety-six, and she has an emotional attachment to Superman. She doesn't have any attachment to Spider-Man or Iron Man. They have to be treated in a different way, particularly the big three. Done right, like Chris [Nolan] did with the Batman films, they can reach an even bigger audience. But I also think there are more pitfalls because people have more preexisting expectations.

steveo
06-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Dredd 3D - I see why it didn't last long in theaters. Seemed like a very B movie.

Gates70
06-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Dredd 3D - I see why it didn't last long in theaters. Seemed like a very B movie.

Oh man, the fanboys will be all over you for that one! I agree, it wasn't that great.

EVILFACE
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
You are right, it wasn't great.

It was sofa king awesome!

Gates70
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
You are right, it wasn't great.

It was sofa king awesome!

:yuck:dump:toilet_cl:Flush

CriterionCollector
06-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Movie 43- 8/10

The movie is really dumb, but I enjoyed it.

ExMem-LarjaThwei
06-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh man, the fanboys will be all over you for that one! I agree, it wasn't that great.I enjoyed it and would like to own it, but yeah. It wasn't "TEH BESTEST FILM OF TEH YEAR" like everyone makes it out to be.

Gates70
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
I enjoyed it and would like to own it, but yeah. It wasn't "TEH BESTEST FILM OF TEH YEAR" like everyone makes it out to be.

I actually do own it :lol

JAWS
06-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I found this by Goyer interesting:

I had a reply for this but did not want to turn this thread into another MOS thread :) I will PM you my reply :)

JAWS
06-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Inside Jaws, A Filmumentary - 8 out of 10 - Not as good as his Star Wars Fimumentaries as I am familiar with about everything on here but it was a great fan made Doc. There were a few interesting bits of Info that I did not know and that is saying something.

Reinhardt
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Inside Jaws, A Filmumentary - 8 out of 10 - Not as good as his Star Wars Fimumentaries as I am familiar with about everything on here but it was a great fan made Doc. There were a few interesting bits of Info that I did not know and that is saying something.

Where did you see this? I recently saw The Shark Is Still Working and thought it was ok, but not a lot of new stuff either.

ChaserFan
06-19-2013, 11:10 PM
World War Z - 9.5/10

Loved this. Hope we get to see the proposed sequels.

Eli26
06-19-2013, 11:31 PM
This is 40 -

Is this over yet?

zzzzzzzzz

AWESOME!!! :hi5:

The Entity
06-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Man of Steel - 8.5/10
Different than I thought it would be, but a damn good watch nonetheless!! :rock :rock :rock

ZsaszSays
06-20-2013, 01:12 AM

This is 40 -

Is this over yet?

zzzzzzzzz

EXACTLY. Total crapfest. I was so damn dissapointed.

firefly2121
06-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Man of Steel: 9.5/10

Star Trek 2: The Last Frontier: 8.5/10

Vertigo (1958): 8/10

Dark_Knight_89
06-20-2013, 02:53 AM
Hitchcock - 7/10

As a very big fan of Alfred Hitchcock, I was unsure of how this movie would sit with me. I found it to be pretty enjoyable actually.

the angry orc
06-20-2013, 05:41 AM
EXACTLY. Total crapfest. I was so damn dissapointed.

Yeah all the funny parts were in the preview.

Identity Theft...5/10. Was ok I guess...finished it but ended up doing othet things while it was playing.

aljf
06-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Fast & Furious 6 6/10 man how long is that runway anyway ?

JAWS
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Where did you see this? I recently saw The Shark Is Still Working and thought it was ok, but not a lot of new stuff either.

Here is a link to all his fan made docs. They are basically commentaries with lots of behind the scene shots inserted in the film. The Star Wars one was lots of fun. Defiantly worth a look :)

https://vimeo.com/user5888890/videos

JAWS
06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Lifeforce - 3 out of 10 - I have not seen this film in years and now I know why. Yet further proof that Spielberg actually directed Poltergeist and not Tobe Hooper (I really think TCM was a lucky mistake)

The Josh
06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
The Fellowship of the Ring EE 9.75/10

DarthTrafford
06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Man Of Steel
9/10

CriterionCollector
06-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Paradise Lost: Purgatory 9/10

The Josh
06-20-2013, 08:56 PM
World War Z 7/10

SixMillionDollarMan Guy
06-20-2013, 09:17 PM
The Fellowship of the Ring EE 9.75/10

:rock

One of 5 movies I've ever given a 10/10 too.