Question about routers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSCORP

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok i just want to be able to play wii online and my PS3 both wireless. My PS3 is in my room so i have no problem hooking the Ethernet to the ps3 when i want to go online. But the woman has claimed the Wii as hers and it is in the living room.

Can i just buy a cheap router Stick it in my bedroom and go online with the wii. (i take it the range should be fine.) My bedroom is not far from the living room.

I know nothing about routers i see G G+ Gmimo. And i want to go cheapest as possible. I just want to be able to play the Wii (and ps3) wireless can i get a cheap one for 34$ at wal-mart and play fine is what i'm asking.(do i need something fast etc. or range)

Ok i just want to be able to play wii online and my PS3 both wireless. My PS3 is in my room so i have no problem hooking the Ethernet to the ps3 when i want to go online. But the woman has claimed the Wii as hers and it is in the living room.

Can i just buy a cheap router Stick it in my bedroom and go online with the wii. (i take it the range should be fine.) My bedroom is not far from the living room.

I know nothing about routers i see G G+ Gmimo. And i want to go cheapest as possible. I just want to be able to play the Wii (and ps3) wireless can i get a cheap one for 34$ at wal-mart and play fine is what i'm asking.(do i need something fast etc. or range)

I use Linksys routers and have had no problem. For that price or about $10 more you can get the Wireless G router which is the fastest approved type...until N gets approved but i don't believe the Wii or PS3 can use N so they would just use the G signal(the N's spit out a G and B signal too). anyhoo. I have friends who like the D link ones too. I have plaster walls and the signal covers the entire downstairs...i had to buy another one and link them to spread the signal to the upstairs.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3910279

yeah what he said but you shouldn't (fingers crossed) have to go into the Linksys settings, just the Wii and the PS3.

I'm just wondering if i can get the cheapest one possible to hook up my ps3 and Wii
Like if it'll be fast enough and have enough range. Does even the cheapest have enough range for the next room or two over? (which is where the wii is)

or do i need a g+ or gmimo or just a G?!!

ty

the one we listed(and most G routers) should have the range and are fast enough. although if they don't and you buy it at walmart you can take it back, no questions asked.

MIMO isn't a wireless signal...there's N(fastest..not widely used yet) G and then the slowest is B...MIMO is just a use of multiple antennas at both the transmitter and receiver to improve communication performance. Just make sure you get a "G" router...B is ancient. i believe all other additions you listed to "G" are just used for marketing. e.g. G+, G MIMO etc. they all use wireless "G".

Last edited:
yeah what he said but you shouldn't (fingers crossed) have to go into the Linksys settings, just the Wii and the PS3.

...but I wouldn't go with the Linksys settings right out of the box. Definitely change the SSID, router password and use some sort of encryption.

I'm using the same wireless G router for my desktop, notebooks, ps3, xbox and HD-DVD players.

...but I wouldn't go with the Linksys settings right out of the box. Definitely change the SSID, router password and use some sort of encryption.

I'm using the same wireless G router for my desktop, notebooks, ps3, xbox and HD-DVD players.

yeah i agree, just didn't want to overwhelm him on his first wireless router...i remember it was like Greek to me when I first bought one.

Krayt, buy one and then come back here and ask about your settings.

Not had time or not been able to get it working?

not been able to get it working.

when i go to ping my IP to configure the router it's not working. i've been trying to work through it, but i am starting to think it's a bum router.

Last edited:
not been able to get it working.

when i go to ping my IP to configure the router it's not working. i've been tryhing to work through it, but i am starting to think it's a bum router.

Wow thats odd, that shouldn't be that hard to do. I would think its a bad router too.

Wow thats odd, that shouldn't be that hard to do. I would think its a bad router too.

when i check my IP it's showing 0.0.0.0
when i try to renew/refresh the IP i keep getting a message i have media that's not connected.

when I check my network connections, i have some Broadcom connection that is disconnected and will not let me uninstall.

sadface.

when i check my IP it's showing 0.0.0.0
when i try to renew/refresh the IP i keep getting a message i have media that's not connected.

when I check my network connections, i have some Broadcom connection that is disconnected and will not let me uninstall.

sadface.

How does the router config look?

In your Router's Status does the DHCP setting show an IP with various DNS values?

I got a belkin g router today and it works and everything but when i try to play gta4 on ps3 i can hardly get anyone in the lobby and when i hook my wired connection back up theres more people in the lobby. I dunno if it's just gta or the router is weak.

on the box it says g is for web surfing email
and g plus mimo is for that and online gaming and n1 is the best.

beats me

I got a belkin g router today and it works and everything but when i try to play gta4 on ps3 i can hardly get anyone in the lobby and when i hook my wired connection back up theres more people in the lobby. I dunno if it's just gta or the router is weak.

on the box it says g is for web surfing email
and g plus mimo is for that and online gaming and n1 is the best.

beats me
Are they two different routers or just using wireless and wired with the same router.

Not sure what you mean.

I just use the router for going online with GTA4 and i can't get many people in the lobby (dunno if it's the strength) And when i hook the Ethernet back up to my modem(GO BACK TO A WIRED CONNECTION) normal style there's more people in the lobby like regular.

Not sure what you mean.

I just use the router for going online with GTA4 and i can't get many people in the lobby (dunno if it's the strength) And when i hook the Ethernet back up to my modem(GO BACK TO A WIRED CONNECTION) normal style there's more people in the lobby like regular.

Ok I see so one way you have the PS3 directly connected to the modem and you can see more people.

When you hook up the router to the modem and PS3 to modem then you have the issue.

When you hook up the router and do the test on PS3 what nat do you get? Sounds like its a firewall issue.

You probably need to follow these directions find, your router the chose PSN.

https://portforward.com/routers.htm

Or just get a 360:D

Back