Did Obi Wan suffer from amnesia, and other plot gaps?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LOTR Fan

This is a thread designed to raise questions of plot gaps that still arise from the OT and the NT now complete.

1) Why in Empire has Obi Wan forgotten about Leia? When Yoda hears him say that Luke is the last hope, we have this revelation (and Obi Wan too apparently) that there is another Skywalker - am I missing something there?

2) Small gap but R2D2 flys, catches etc, but doesn't do anything nearly that amazing in the OT

What else can you all think of?

Well... i'm not one to defend Lucas.... but

1. Who is to say that Obi-Wan's reaction is suprise? We interpret it that way bc when we heard it it was a surprise.... he could just be reacting to the possibility.

2. Just bc we don't see R2 do those things, doesn't mean he can't.... and i wouldn't say he flew... i viewed it more as he was ejected from the @#%$.

Having said that...

C-3PO had his memory wiped... OK, but Vader's memory seems tobe intact... so why wouldn't he remember 3PO in Empire???

I think Obi-Wan didn't really know the force was strong with Leia. He probably only thought it was with Luke (Leia didn't really show anything to even make the audience think she had the force).

R2 didn't need to use many other gadgets other than his hacker tool.

Vader probably just assumed that 3PO just just another protelcal droid (3PO did see one in Cloud City).

Here are some questions though:

How did Obi-Wan get a name like Ben?
Why did Yoda go to Daghoba of all places?
How does Chewie connect with Lando/Han/the Falcon?
Why aren't stormtroopers or other troopers colored? They had camo biker scout troops on Kashyyk. Why not on Endor?

1: Remember it was Obiwan you actually explained to Luke about Leia, and about the events of them being hidden.

2: It was Anakin who had been continually upgrading R2 with all of his neat tricks. It is definitely feasible that over time some 'broke down' and with the abcense of Anakin were never repaired properly.

I had never considered Vader not recognizing C3PO. Although I was thinking along the same terms with Yoda and Chewbacca. Of course, the 2 never interact in the OT, but Chewy never shows any recognition that he knows the one who has been teaching Luke on Dagobah.

I always figured Yoda went to Dagobah because it was very strong with the Force. After rewatching the Clone Wars on cartoonnetwork last weekend, I also wondered if Dagobah may have been a ritualistic site for the Jedi. It appears that the area Qui-gon and Anakin are standing in front of is the same place that Yoda sent Luke to for his spirit trials.

Actually that is Anakin, not Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon took to Dagobah. If this was the case, would Vader have thought to look their for Yoda?

Maybe Obi-Wan just saw Leia as a girl and not being qualified to be a Jedi (even though there are plenty in the prequels).

I suppose I may be reading into things a bit, but it just appeared to me that Obi Wan wasn't aware of Leia - don't know :dunno

I'm going to have to re-watch the OT now! I think I will see things a little differently after watching ROTS. I will especially have to pay attention to the "there is another" scene - I remember it as being surprise on the part of Obi-wan too, but maybe that's just selective memory at work.

Here's some holes I would like filled (unfortunately, it was the last movie, so fat chance, eh? :bang ):

1) Why does Leia talk about remembering her mother in ROTJ? There is NO WAY she would have remembered her mom, as she dies so quick after childbirth.

2) Why does C3PO have to have his memory erased exactly? And what's to keep R2 from telling him the whole story afterwards?

3) If Luke is supposed to be kept hidden from Vader, why oh why do they send him to live with Anakin's "family" (which is not even really his family after all) and have him keep his last name? WTF??

4) And that leads me to another question - why do they have to be split up and hidden anyway? I can understand why Obi-wan and Yoda have to hide, seeing as Vader and Palpy know they are still alive. But neither Vader nor Palpy know that Anakin's children have lived through childbirth... it just seems a little unnecessary to me to split them up and hide them. I guess better safe than sorry though...

5) We never found out who ordered the Clones to be made in the first place? I mean, I guess we are led to believe it was Palpatine, but was it??

6) Why has no one ever told Lucas that his dialogue sucks? Or, to be more specific, if he's such a great filmmaker, why doesn't he REALIZE that his dialogue sucks?? I would feel horrible if I were Hayden or Natalie and were in the audience when people laughed at my passionate love speech. It's not their fault...

Anyway, I pretty much enjoyed the movie, but it's definitely not better than anything in the OT, even ROTJ (IMO).

And yes, I also had a problem with R2 having all kinds of tricks in this one that make no appearance in any of the OT... although I will always love his character. Who needs obvious comedy that slaps you in the face (aka Jar Jar) when you've got good 'ole R2?

Oh, and if you want to read something that will bring tears to your eyes and make you really FEEL the Star Wars experience, read Darth Vader's last post in his blog: darthside.blogspot.com/

Yeah I agree I think Yoda went to D, b/c of the Jedi History there

I am sure there are a ton of gaps, I always wondered about that with Vader/c3PO also ??? But again so many droids...

So apperantly Obi had to tell Owen/Loru who Luke was and about his father... They new Luke was to be sheltered from things.... So did Obi Wan come to check in with Ben from time to time about Luke ? And was it an ez sell

OW: Yeah guys we need you to take care of your brothers son

O: Wow, half brother and last time he was here he slaughtered a ton of Sand Ppl, was just a prick to be around and stole some droids....Now you want what...nah thats kewl

OW: Not really asking, here you go.
O: Well what about Annie ?

OW: Ummmm horrible accident , he was working in a forge , bad times...Look just watch out if little Luke starts showing signs of the Force...And ummm You never saw me, or Luke for that matter....yeah...BYE!

OK for real tho...

Why didn't Owen reconize R2 & C3P0 when he purchased them. If not then when he brought them..something

I dont know guys but a lot of time has passed and Im sure a lot droids have come on gone in their lifes.

O: Wow, half brother and last time he was here he slaughtered a ton of Sand Ppl, was just a prick to be around and stole some droids....Now you want what...nah thats kewl

:mwaha :mwaha

Actually that is Anakin, not Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon took to Dagobah. If this was the case, would Vader have thought to look their for Yoda?

Thanks for the correction. I definitely mispoke there. Although that now opens up several more questions to me.

1) Why does Leia talk about remembering her mother in ROTJ? There is NO WAY she would have remembered her mom, as she dies so quick after childbirth.

This is EXACTLY why I was shocked when she died. Maybe Leia thinks Bail Organa's wife is their real mom? Either that or she has a great memory and Luke has a regular memory. I think Lucas completely forgot about this.

Leia's line "Aren't you short for a stormtrooper" means the clone do infact turn into stormtroopers.

Leia's line "Aren't you short for a stormtrooper" means the clone do infact turn into stormtroopers.
that's what i was hoping to find out!! so does that mean that the empire continues to use the kamino clone facilities?? or are the stormtroopers just really old clones???

and why do people keep asking why vader,Owen, and the others dont recognize C-3po and R2??? do they not see that there might be the possibility that the droid manufacturers made more than one droid in each particular model???:dunno come on there were infinite amounts of battle droids,destroyer droids and so forth why cant people see that there is obiviously more than just one protocol droid.

re

Given that the clones' genome is engineered in such a way as to accelerate growth, my reckoning is that the stormtroopers you see in ANH are those that were probably still in development (undergoing combat training, say) at the time of ROTS. The stormtrooper's uniform represents the Galactic Empire, yet the clone trooper's attire resonates of the Republic. No better reason to change the look than that.

Well what happened with the Storm Trooper's was The Empire turned inot a Big Money Pit, with Palapatine sinking all of his money into the Darth Star & On Going Build Your Own Cyborg Projects...so he went to Kamino and asked for an itomized list...

E " Seems here we could save alot of money if we just stopped with all the special opps and armor. I mean come on there is no "I" in Empire...Orr well nevermind...My point is we scale back all the bells and whistles and you just give me a basic clone kit. Start with the massive production, mmm-kay ? "

Cloner " But Sir, what we have given you is our top model, Jango Fett Ver 2.0, thats the best of the best. What your asking for is the Red Shirt Special, they don't even come with the ability to aim their weapons let alone drive a speeder bike, no Special Armor, hel they don't even get that saucy Cody Voice...are you sure ???'

E: " Sure, the wars over it's all good so set that up for me and ummm Annie will be paying for it "

Vader: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....Oh errr. oh you dirty weak son of ..."

:mwaha its like the stormtroopers were so out of practice from not having to fight anyone they just cant shoot straight or fly or what-have-you. i did think the camo scout troops were cool looking. too bad the construction of the death star cut back the budget so much they couldnt afford camo for the suits anymore.:dunno

Cloner " But Sir, what we have given you is our top model, Jango Fett Ver 2.0, thats the best of the best. What your asking for is the Red Shirt Special, they don't even come with the ability to aim their weapons let alone drive a speeder bike, no Special Armor, hel they don't even get that saucy Cody Voice...are you sure ???'

Red Shirt Special 1.0 is in Beta testing. No wonder they can't shoot straight!

I forgot to ask this one earlier---

What's up with the sometimes Sith eyes, but more so not of Anakin? After cleaning up on the Separatists, his pupils change, but then they are normal again when see Padme, why is that? :dunno

Back