PDA

View Full Version : SMALLVILLE: Season 8

Pages : [1] 2

The Mike
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Since the Season 7 thread is all done and moving on to this season figured might as well start a new one detailing the upcoming one.

Here is the latest from Comic-Con:

SDCC '08 - Geoff Johns Brings the Legion to 'Smallville'
By Vaneta Rogers
posted: 27 July 2008 12:57 pm ET

The Legion of Super-Heroes is coming to Smallville, and the writer who's guiding the futuristic team in comic books will be the one introducing them to the show.

Geoff Johns, writer of next month's Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds mini-series for DC Comics, will also be writing the Legion's introduction to the Smallville television show. As announced Sunday at San Diego Comic-Con, Johns will be writing "Legion," the ninth episode in this year's season 8 of Smallville.

"I've known the Smallville writing team – Todd [Slavkin], Darren [Swimmer], Brian [Wayne Peterson] and Kelly [Souders] – for a long time," Johns told Newsarama. "I had an idea for an episode, so we all had lunch. And I pitched them the idea of bringing the Legion of Super-Heroes to Smallville. And we're off and running."

In comics, the Legion of Super-Heroes is a group of super-powered teenagers from 1,000 years in the future who are inspired by the legend of Superman. The Legion story, which saw the young heroes time-traveling back to visit a young Clark Kent, recently inspired a Warner Bros. animated TV series.

Smallville fans had already seen updated versions of several DC Comics heroes on the live-action show, including Green Arrow, who's become a regular character. Just last month, it was announced that a new "Doomsday" character, played by Battlestar Galactica alum Sam Witwer, will be added to the Smallville cast this season as a nemesis for actor Tom Welling's Clark Kent.

While the show's very human-looking Doomsday is apparently a re-interpretation of the monstrous comics character who once killed Superman, according to Johns, the Legion that appears in his Smallville episode will be the team that comic book readers recognize.

"I can't get into any specifics about the story we're telling because we’re still working on it all. But they're from the 31st Century. And it will be focusing on some obvious characters who first met Clark," Johns said. "It will be written to fit with Smallville, and I think it's going to be a really fun challenge to approach the Legion in a different way. But with me, you know you're going to see Legion rings, and they're going to be as true to the core as possible. It's going to be the Legion of Super-Heroes."

Johns, who just recently used Legion characters in a story he wrote for the Superman-centered series Action Comics with artist Gary Frank, couldn't confirm if the Legion characters he's introducing in Smallville would appear in more than one episode.

As Smallville fans may remember, this won't be the first time the name "Geoff Johns" is attached to the show. In Season 4, a super-powered, villainous football-playing character was named Geoff Johns. And as most comic book fans know, Johns shares offices with former Smallville writer and comic book creator Jeph Loeb, who was involved with the series during Seasons 2-4.

"Like I said, I've known the Smallville team for a long time. And I have to thank Jeph Loeb for introducing me to those people in the first place," Johns said. "I'm really looking forward to working on the show. It's exciting to see the Legion be part of that."

Kabukiman
07-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Human looking Doomsday? :monkey4

Looking forward to the Legion though! It will be interesting to see how Clark reacts to Brainiac 5.

Darklord Dave
07-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I was so pissed - I got up early on Sunday and got down to the convention center at 9 AM for the 10:00 AM panel. It was in the 3rd largest room (the biggest isn't even used on Sunday) and at 9 AM they wouldn't even let you get in line to get into the room it was so crowded.

Five years and I've never gotten into a Smallville panel (one year they didn't come).:sick

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I couldn't get into Heroes this year, only got there two hours early and that wasn't enough.

NASEDO
07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Smallville is the best thing that happened to Superman. Great show, Welling is the only Superman of my Generation, so any movie without him, like Superman Returns (Garbage), is not Superman. Would love to Superman done over like they did with Batman.

The Mike
07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm willing to see what Welling would actually look like as Superman but he refuses. I don't mind seeing Routh in that position though on the big screen.

captain sack
07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Smallville is the best thing that happened to Superman. Great show, Welling is the only Superman of my Generation, so any movie without him, like Superman Returns (Garbage), is not Superman. Would love to Superman done over like they did with Batman.

welling is the superboy from earth prime.

smallville=alternate earth.

nash
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm willing to see what Welling would actually look like as Superman but he refuses. I don't mind seeing Routh in that position though on the big screen.

Mike, any solid info on why Welling refuses to don the suit? I thought it was more of the producers and stipulations in his contract that didnt allow him?

I'd also like to see him step into the suit and kick some ^^^^ing ass.

Having said that, I cant wait for next season already. this is the only show that I ever watch on TV next to espn.

The Mike
07-30-2008, 12:58 AM
He has said repeatedly that he doesn't want it. I'm looking for the interview but a direct quote went something like "I have no desire to play Superman and go that route with the character, I'm committed to playing Clark" or something along those lines. That could change of course as actors are known for being a little flip floppy especially when other roles aren't there but on top of the DC/WB not wanting to make the leap with any Smallville cast member he has said he didn't want it.

There is a "No Flights, No Tights" contract for the producers but that was lifted for the "Couple of Flights, No Tights" for the Kal-El storyline. The rumor is that everyone's favorite blowhard Mark Millar wants Welling to be his Superman if he gets his reboot but we'll see about that.

The Mike
08-20-2008, 01:09 AM
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/smallville8/Charlotte-Sullivan.jpg

August 20, 2008: Charlotte Sullivan Cast as Maxima for “Smallville”
TVGuide.com has revealed that Charlotte Sullivan (who recently starred in the Canadian series MVP) has been cast in the role of Maxima for the 8th season of "Smallville" and will appear in the fourth episode of the new season.

The arrival of Maxima gives Smallville two new toughies to deal with, coupled with Sam Witwer's imminent introduction as Davis Bloom aka Doomsday.
Who/what/from where is Maxima? According to Wiki/Superman canon, she's the oldest child of the royal family of the planet Almerac. Her purpose on Earth is to find a suitable mate - which more than explains why she finds herself in a liplock with not one, but two Smallville gents not long after her arrival!

Read the complete article at the TV Guide website.
Meanwhile, the current issue of TV Guide magazine (in subscriber's hands now) has a sneak peek at Season 8 of "Smallville" titled "Justice League to the Rescue"...

Smallville is back for its eighth season on September 18 with a superpowered opener. With Clark (Tom Welling) still missing after his showdown with Lex in May's season finale, it's up to the Justice League to save the day. Aquaman (Alan Ritchson), Black Canary (Alania Huffman) and Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) track down the Man of Steel at a shady Russian work camp, where Clark is powerless. "The Justice League will never be the same, and Clark Kent will never be the same," says Exec Producer Todd Slavkin. "The preimere pushes us into areas we've never explored before, mainly Clark's destiny."

Eli26
08-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Wow, they sure do cast a lot of Canadian women.

So that's 4 women I know of on Smallville that have leading/supporting roles on the show. Makes sense... Shot in Vancouver, and our women are talented and gorgeous. :naughty

Darth Loki
08-20-2008, 04:53 AM
Wow, they sure do cast a lot of Canadian women.

So that's 4 women I know of on Smallville that have leading/supporting roles on the show. Makes sense... Shot in Vancouver, and our women are talented and gorgeous. :naughty

And yet you still like men. Go figure.

The Mike
08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
:lol:lol:lol

Darth Caedus
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I just saw John Schneider (Papa Kent) at the movies [weird, seen him twice, both in movies anyway...] talked to him for a little bit, and he said that he might return for a few episodes this coming up season. :rock:rock:rock:rock

Kinda off subject, but he was driving a new Dodge Charger with the paint job of the General Lee, it was awesome. But he didn't jump through the window :monkey2

McHavyck
09-04-2008, 10:19 PM
i'm just glad they wised up and made Green Arrow (one of my favorite DC characters) a regular. :rock :rock

just not sure i buy the geek (Sam Witwer) from Battlestar Gallactica, Dexter and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as Doomsday.

Darth Caedus
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
i'm just glad they wised up and made Green Arrow (one of my favorite DC characters) a regular. :rock :rock

just not sure i buy the geek (Sam Witwer) from Battlestar Gallactica, Dexter and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as Doomsday.

He looks somewhat menacing, but NOWHERE near what Doomsday should be

http://here-without-you.com/sam/sam.gif

Granted, don't think they could put this guy on Smallville

http://www.smallvillevirtuality.com/superthoughts/doomsday.bmp

McHavyck
09-04-2008, 10:30 PM
He looks somewhat menacing, but NOWHERE near what Doomsday should be

http://here-without-you.com/sam/sam.gif

Granted, don't think they could put this guy on Smallville

http://www.smallvillevirtuality.com/superthoughts/doomsday.bmp

exactly!!!

Aerosmith
09-05-2008, 02:37 AM

Dean Cain is the Superman of my generation. Was kind of ^^^^ed up to see him as a villian on Smallville. :D

Darklord Dave
09-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I thought it was great that Cain was on Smallville - I hope they bring him back and establish him as the Vandal Savage he's supposed to be. I love the tribute casting they've been doing. I think Helen Slater as Lara was the best.

Just as Zod and Brainiac appeared as normal dudes, they can't have a completely CG Doomsday. But I'm betting he starts sprouting stuff as the season progresses and morphs between human and CG, like Bizzaro did.

Darth Caedus
09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I thought it was great that Cain was on Smallville - I hope they bring him back and establish him as the Vandal Savage he's supposed to be. I love the tribute casting they've been doing. I think Helen Slater as Lara was the best.

Just as Zod and Brainiac appeared as normal dudes, they can't have a completely CG Doomsday. But I'm betting he starts sprouting stuff as the season progresses and morphs between human and CG, like Bizzaro did.

Amen to Helen Slater; she's still a fox. I can agree that having Bizzaro being a mixture of human and CG would be interesting. I just don't see how Witwer can stand up to Welling. Welling being 6'3" and Witwer being 6'1"

The Mike
09-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Eh. Gwyneth Paltrow is about 5'10" and Robert Downey Jr is 5'8" barely yet we saw this:

http://www.chokingonpopcorn.com/popcorn/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tony-stark-and-pepper-potts-for-the-iron-man-movie.jpg

RDJ stood on boxes and such when he needed to, if they wanted to they could make Witner look 7" next to Welling. That's not that big of a deal.

Darth Caedus
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Eh. Gwyneth Paltrow is about 5'10" and Robert Downey Jr is 5'8" barely yet we saw this:

http://www.chokingonpopcorn.com/popcorn/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tony-stark-and-pepper-potts-for-the-iron-man-movie.jpg

RDJ stood on boxes and such when he needed to, if they wanted to they could make Witner look 7" next to Welling. That's not that big of a deal.

True that, true that. Anybody know how much into Season 8 we get to see Doomy?

Darklord Dave
09-06-2008, 04:26 PM
True that, true that. Anybody know how much into Season 8 we get to see Doomy?

I think the actor is a season regular, but I'm betting we don't get to see his bad side until just before the winter break.

McHavyck
09-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I think the actor is a season regular, but I'm betting we don't get to see his bad side until just before the winter break.

and up until then just a bartender, apparently. :D :lol

Krypto
09-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Very much looking forward to the premiere in the next couple of weeks. Johns endorsement is making me very excited for what lies ahead this season. Clark becoming a reporter for the Planet is a step in the right direction. It's about time the whole dual identity part of the character starts to creep in.

I wonder how they'll explain away Lex and what happened in the Fortress.

Krypto
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Season seven was released today on DVD and Blu-Ray, for those interested in catching up before the eighth season's premiere next week.

Darth Caedus
09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Very much looking forward to the premiere in the next couple of weeks. Johns endorsement is making me very excited for what lies ahead this season. Clark becoming a reporter for the Planet is a step in the right direction. It's about time the whole dual identity part of the character starts to creep in.

I wonder how they'll explain away Lex and what happened in the Fortress.

Since he's not in Season 8, I wonder if they're just going to leave him in there. Maybe Jor-El will keep him there for some reason.

Krypto
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Since he's not in Season 8, I wonder if they're just going to leave him in there. Maybe Jor-El will keep him there for some reason.

I think Rosenbaum declined to come back even for an episode or two, so they'll have to do something to explain his absence. I know there's going to be a new Luthorcorp character to play as an antagonist, but I have no clue what's going on with Lex in the Fortress. Jor-El imprisoning him in the Phantom Zone or at the Fortress would make sense, as Luthor is too much of a threat, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. :)

Darth Caedus
09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I think Rosenbaum declined to come back even for an episode or two, so they'll have to do something to explain his absence. I know there's going to be a new Luthorcorp character to play as an antagonist, but I have no clue what's going on with Lex in the Fortress. Jor-El imprisoning him in the Phantom Zone or at the Fortress would make sense, as Luthor is too much of a threat, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. :)

I can agree with that. But the bad part, to me at least, is that Rosenbaum was pretty much the whole show to me. He was the best actor, best written character, and has become Lex Luthor to me. Now that he has gone, there's really not much left in the show for me (apart the Chloe + Lois mud wrestling event...which will happen, I know it)

Krypto
09-10-2008, 03:41 AM
I can agree with that. But the bad part, to me at least, is that Rosenbaum was pretty much the whole show to me. He was the best actor, best written character, and has become Lex Luthor to me. Now that he has gone, there's really not much left in the show for me (apart the Chloe + Lois mud wrestling event...which will happen, I know it)

While Lex was a big part of the show and Rosenbaum was great, I kind of feel that by the end of the seventh season, they had taken that character to the end. He had become the evil mad scientist hell-bent on taking out Clark. There's not much more room for his character to grow or expand at this point until Clark becomes Superman.

Clark's evolution is the reason I watch the show and while Rosenbaum and Lex were a big part of that, they're only one part of that evolution.

nash
09-10-2008, 05:05 AM
While Lex was a big part of the show and Rosenbaum was great, I kind of feel that by the end of the seventh season, they had taken that character to the end. He had become the evil mad scientist hell-bent on taking out Clark. There's not much more room for his character to grow or expand at this point until Clark becomes Superman.

Clark's evolution is the reason I watch the show and while Rosenbaum and Lex were a big part of that, they're only one part of that evolution.

I'd have to agree with you. Sad that he's gone, but his endless secret experiments and excursions were getting old.

JABBATHERIDGE
09-11-2008, 02:04 AM
I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the things I've heard about the way Lex has been written out of Smallville at the end of series seven. We're only a few episodes off the conclusion of the series in the UK (just watched the Jimmy Olsen spy episode on Tuesday) so I haven't actually seen it yet, but it sounds disappointing. They could've given him a more permanent ending seeing as Smallville more or less exists outside Superman continuity these days. Also the introduction of a female Luthorcorp character we've never heard of seems a bit desperate and just looks as though they're trying to replace him in the show. It would've been better to introduce an all new cooperate villain, someone not connected with Luthorcorp, if we can't have the Luthors themselves IMHO.

I'm still going to be tuning in when series 8 eventually airs over here, but I'm a bit less excited about it. I'll miss Lex and Lionel. I'm glad we're gonna get Doomsday though and I'm prepared to give the interpritation a chance to see how it pans out. Also the fact the Justice League seem to be getting used more is great. Now if the producers could just get us a young Bruce Wayne for a few episodes.

Krypto
09-11-2008, 04:52 AM
I imagine if the writers knew that Rosenbaum wouldn't be back for an eighth season, they might have given him a more explosive finale perhaps, but the one we get felt appropriate to me given where the character had to eventually end up and what had happened to him in the seventh season. I do agree that the inclusion of a female Luthorcorp CEO is a bit desperate.

JABBATHERIDGE
09-11-2008, 07:10 AM
I imagine if the writers knew that Rosenbaum wouldn't be back for an eighth season, they might have given him a more explosive finale perhaps, but the one we get felt appropriate to me given where the character had to eventually end up and what had happened to him in the seventh season. I do agree that the inclusion of a female Luthorcorp CEO is a bit desperate.

I must admit I didn't know what was going on behind the scenes with Rosenbaum. How come Rosenbaum left then? He always seemed happy in the role so I'd have thought he'd have at least been willing to come back for a couple of episodes in season eight. Do we know what went on behind the scenes? When Gina turned up in Descent I'd already heard the rumour about Lex being replaced with a woman from Luthorcorp so I thought that it would probably be Gina, but as anyone whose seen the episode will know that's not the case. If the producers knew there was a chance that Rosenbaum wouldn't come back they could've introduced the female character half way through season seven or something and built her up just in case. Then it wouldn't have looked as desperate when she took over in season eight.

Krypto
09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I must admit I didn't know what was going on behind the scenes with Rosenbaum. How come Rosenbaum left then? He always seemed happy in the role so I'd have thought he'd have at least been willing to come back for a couple of episodes in season eight. Do we know what went on behind the scenes? When Gina turned up in Descent I'd already heard the rumour about Lex being replaced with a woman from Luthorcorp so I thought that it would probably be Gina, but as anyone whose seen the episode will know that's not the case. If the producers knew there was a chance that Rosenbaum wouldn't come back they could've introduced the female character half way through season seven or something and built her up just in case. Then it wouldn't have looked as desperate when she took over in season eight.

I think Rosenbaum had been wanting to jump ship for a couple of seasons and I don't remember hearing anything about his leaving until near the end of the seventh season. But I think you may be pleased with where they take him during the last few episodes. It really doesn't leave anything else for them to do with the character. They had totally played it out by this point.

JABBATHERIDGE
09-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I've gotta admit after the end of his marriage to Lana, pretty much everyone in Smallville had turned against him and realised what he was like. The Kara plot at the beginning of the series just seemed like a desperate attempt to give him something to do. I have to admit Descent was a pretty good episode though and the one where Clark got into Lex's mind was also quite cool. I'll certainly miss Lex being in the show.

Darklord Dave
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Rosenbaum's contract expired (as did everyone else's except Welling, I think) and they're had never been any talk of him returning as a regular for an 8th season. Even the producers who created the show have left. I think they were expecting to be able to use Rosenbaum for some guest shots, but it seems that's not going to happen.

I don't think that it's that there was a problem, just he's tired of the character after 7 years and wants to grow his hair out. James Marsters has said that he doesn't miss Spike because the hair bleach was such a pain.

Krypto
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Hopefully with the exit of Gough and Millar we can get rid of the latter part of their mantra - "no tights, no flights".

I think Kreuk will only be back as a guest for a couple of episodes this season as well.

JABBATHERIDGE
09-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Rosenbaum's contract expired (as did everyone else's except Welling, I think) and they're had never been any talk of him returning as a regular for an 8th season. Even the producers who created the show have left. I think they were expecting to be able to use Rosenbaum for some guest shots, but it seems that's not going to happen.

I don't think that it's that there was a problem, just he's tired of the character after 7 years and wants to grow his hair out. James Marsters has said that he doesn't miss Spike because the hair bleach was such a pain.

I would've thought they'd have spent a little bit of time building up the new female Luthorcorp character (Tess Mercer is it?) if they thought he wasn't going to come back in season eight, even if they were only going to have him back for occasional guest shots. Still I haven't seen the end of series 7 yet so maybe it'll make more sense once I get there.

Darklord Dave
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I would've thought they'd have spent a little bit of time building up the new female Luthorcorp character (Tess Mercer is it?) if they thought he wasn't going to come back in season eight, even if they were only going to have him back for occasional guest shots. Still I haven't seen the end of series 7 yet so maybe it'll make more sense once I get there.

The show runners were leaving - they didn't care what happened in season 8 and would have been just fine if there wasn't a season 8.

Darklord Dave
09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
How'd you like the premiere?
SPOILERS

Okay - I like Chloe's new powers and where they're going with her as a character. I like Oliver being a regular - it's about time Clark got a buddy again. Might be some nice sexual tension too, since Lois and Clark are obviously going to heat up and Oliver's already tapped that. Liked the League, I hated Canary in her premiere, but she's okay within the team.

Didn't like that they just ignored Kara being gone. I'd assumed she'd still be on the show, but she's not in the credits. I don't like the new baddie lady. I don't like that Jonn lost his powers?

And worst of all - really missing Rosenbaum already.

Darth Caedus
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
SPOILERS

Okay - I like Chloe's new powers and where they're going with her as a character. I like Oliver being a regular - it's about time Clark got a buddy again. Might be some nice sexual tension too, since Lois and Clark are obviously going to heat up and Oliver's already tapped that. Liked the League, I hated Canary in her premiere, but she's okay within the team.

Didn't like that they just ignored Kara being gone. I'd assumed she'd still be on the show, but she's not in the credits. I don't like the new baddie lady. I don't like that Jonn lost his powers?

And worst of all - really missing Rosenbaum already.

Yep, really already miss him. Don't like the new CEO chick. It's funny, just because she's CEO of LutherCorp doesn't give her the authority to go into Lex's House and start running things from there, I found that funny. And the omitting of Kara did seem odd, but on the plus side, NO LANA !!!! LOTS of LOIS !!!!!

Serpentor
09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
SPOILERS

Kara's gone this season, Laura Vandervort confirmed when Season 8 info came out ealier in the year she wouldnt be involved, they are going to wrap up her storyline later in the season, she confirmed at the fan expo in Toronto she will be filing an episode in October to finish up her storyline. Assumingly after that the best addition to the show will be gone.

She also said there were talks about a Supergirl spin off show but they didnt work out.

Krypto
09-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Kara will be in a couple of episodes later this season to wrap up her storyline.

I liked the premiere a lot, especially how it sets up the future. Smallville premieres typically are great for 35 minutes and then the story kind of gets set back to a starting point and it goes back to the same old business. But this one, there's actual movement, things are changing, and that's awesome. I love where they're taking Chloe. Bringing the League back and making them regulars will be a great addition to the show. And finally, Welling is really kind of taking charge here, finally moving the character forward.

What surprised me most was that I really wasn't missing Lex and Rosenbaum at all. It was time for that character to make an exit. I really think the show's better with his absence. The only problem I had with the premiere was the new Lexcorp CEO. It just...they need to either do something vital with this character and with Lexcorp or just drop the whole thing.

Josette
09-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Without Rosenbaum as Lex it's like this show doesn't exist for me. He kept me watching after the show had mostly gone stale in my eyes.

Darth Caedus
09-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Kara will be in a couple of episodes later this season to wrap up her storyline.

I liked the premiere a lot, especially how it sets up the future. Smallville premieres typically are great for 35 minutes and then the story kind of gets set back to a starting point and it goes back to the same old business. But this one, there's actual movement, things are changing, and that's awesome. I love where they're taking Chloe. Bringing the League back and making them regulars will be a great addition to the show. And finally, Welling is really kind of taking charge here, finally moving the character forward.

What surprised me most was that I really wasn't missing Lex and Rosenbaum at all. It was time for that character to make an exit. I really think the show's better with his absence. The only problem I had with the premiere was the new Lexcorp CEO. It just...they need to either do something vital with this character and with Lexcorp or just drop the whole thing.

I can agree that I like the new direction they are taking with Clark. Making him work at the Planet and being next to Lois, their interaction at the end really reminded me of the Lois/Clark interaction (even though Clark was less mild-mannered, which I liked).

It did seem that they replaced with Lex with an evil chick version of himself, that's less interesting, but I guess you have to have a "villain".

On a side note...does anyone else still feel that Lionel's "death" still has something left to say about it? It happened so fast AND off screen, that I thought there was going to be something more to it. I mean, he was on the show for years, and then they just snuff him out like he's an extra to the show or something.

nash
09-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I miss Vandervoort more than I miss Rosenbaum. I was expecting her to be in this season....im pretty bummed to find out now that she's done.

However I always loved the Lois and Clark dynamic in the show. Some of the funniest and wittiest moments.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rissroo689/hawaii/laura_vandervoort_4.jpg

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

nash
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Ok wtf....after finding that pic above, came across these http://celebritysleaze.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/laura-vandervoort-in-tiny-string-bikini-on-movie-set/

and realized that i was there while they were filming this movie Into the blue 2?. It's shot in waikiki beach near a popular spot called walls. My wife and I was there at the beach that day and happened to see a camera crew filming etc, we didnt see anyone famous, just seemed like they were doing a lot of extras shots at the time. but now seeing the pics it made me remember that day.

You can see in this pic of Laura, the banner of the guy serving a volleyball in the background.
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/1749/lauravandervoortbikiniigy4.jpg

Here's a pic my wife took that day.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7950/11111wd1.jpg
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/1601/2222aw3.jpg

Damn, too bad I didnt get to see Laura. :monkey2

Krypto
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Fear not, nash, your blonde bombshell will return for a couple of episodes as Supergirl later this season. ;)

TheObsoleteMan
09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Finally! Finally! Clark is off the farm! :mexwave

Seeing Clark being proactive and not hiding on that empty farm was a huge breath of fresh air. I'm very optimistic about this season.

Darth Caedus
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Finally! Finally! Clark is off the farm! :mexwave

Seeing Clark being proactive and not hiding on that empty farm was a huge breath of fresh air. I'm very optimistic about this season.

Yea, I really enjoyed that myself. Odd, that how Clark met Lex was the same way he met the new CEO chick (don't remember her name), nice parallel there; but I don't see her as a "villain" as akin to Lex.

It was an interesting way to introduce Doomsday, wonder why he went all fetal on the ground there at the end.

Darklord Dave
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Despite harking back to the "krypto-freak of the week" this was a pretty good episode. Seeing Clark in full Superman mode (sans cape) and the interplay with Lois looks like it could be promising.

It's still a wonder that people live in Smallville and commute to Metropolis to work, despite the supposed 3 hour drive. Really stupid when Ms. Lex says she's taking the bus to work. It now appears that Smallville is just a Metropolis suburb.

And there goes my theory about Doomsday not getting spikey until mid-season. Which is a good thing - let's see him and Clark kick some ass.

Krypto
09-26-2008, 03:58 AM
That was a great episode. Looks like the lack of Gough and Millar will be a good thing this year as I think they were holding the series back at this point. In only two episodes, the series as matured so well this season.

And it looks like they're going to be keeping the somewhat traditional physical appearance of Doomsday later on this season. Neat.

JediMike71
09-26-2008, 05:08 AM
I just saw John Schneider (Papa Kent) at the movies [weird, seen him twice, both in movies anyway...] talked to him for a little bit, and he said that he might return for a few episodes this coming up season. :rock:rock:rock:rock

Kinda off subject, but he was driving a new Dodge Charger with the paint job of the General Lee, it was awesome. But he didn't jump through the window :monkey2

Hey, that's cool he has a new model Charger with the General Lee paint on it. I know some ten or more years ago they showed him on Entertainment Tonight that he had a 1969 orange Dodge Challenger that looked exactly like the Dukes Of Hazzard General Lee in his garage at home! Sweet! I love that car! :D

Plus, I like him alot as an actor. I thought he was perfect for the role of Jonathan Kent. It'll be nice to see him again this season even if it's in one of Clark's flashbacks or something like that.

Darklord Dave
09-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey, that's cool he has a new model Charger with the General Lee paint on it. I know some ten or more years ago they showed him on Entertainment Tonight that he had a 1969 orange Dodge Charger that looked exactly like the Dukes Of Hazzard General Lee in his garage at home! Sweet! I love that car! :D

Plus, I like him alot as an actor. I thought he was perfect for the role of Jonathan Kent. It'll be nice to see him again this season even if it's in one of Clark's flashbacks or something like that.

Nicest guy in the world and I thought he was great on Smallville. He really brought a lot to the role and was perfectly cast.

Funnily though he's horrible on Confessions of a American Teenager. Saw a couple of episodes and his acting was really bad. But almost every single person on that show is either really poorly directed or the worst actors working on tv today.

TheObsoleteMan
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Another solid episode tonight. This show is better than it's been in a long time. I'm actually enjoying it again and not just watching out of habit.

They really need to spin Green Arrow off into his own show after this season. He's been a consistently strong, interesting character, and the actor does a great job with him.

McHavyck
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
it was excellent seeing the origin (well, kinda) of Green Arrow.
:rock :rock
just a little nitpick thing, but really, after two years he SHOULD have had a beard.
not that it had to be the Errol Flynn, but something a little more than four days of stubble.
or did he use the flint chips into a razor? :D

McHavyck
10-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Another solid episode tonight. This show is better than it's been in a long time. I'm actually enjoying it again and not just watching out of habit.

They really need to spin Green Arrow off into his own show after this season. He's been a consistently strong, interesting character, and the actor does a great job with him.

hellz yeah!!

Krypto
10-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Solid episode last night. Hartley as Arrow is just spot-on. This guy's going places. And I like that they still managed to give everyone something to do even though this was Hartley's show. Very strong. Next week looks really good.

Darklord Dave
10-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Ya, 3 solid episodes in a row - that almost never happens in Smallville history. Mercy (hell yeah!) could end up being a great character. Is Hope far behind?

And Hartley does deserve his own show - if you haven't downloaded Mercy Reef (Aquaman) from itunes - go get it! He was a great Arthur Curry. I was sure that making him a regular this year was going to lead to a spin-off, but I thought that about Kara too.

Darth Caedus
10-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Ya, 3 solid episodes in a row - that almost never happens in Smallville history. Mercy (hell yeah!) could end up being a great character. Is Hope far behind?

And Hartley does deserve his own show - if you haven't downloaded Mercy Reef (Aquaman) from itunes - go get it! He was a great Arthur Curry. I was sure that making him a regular this year was going to lead to a spin-off, but I thought that about Kara too.

I may be stupid, but I never connected MERCY with Tess Mercer before Oliver called her that. Seemed obvious too, but I never put it together. :slap:slap:slap:slap

As for the Green Arrow Spin-Off, I don't know, he seems like Batman without the dark and broading tragic backstory. It might work, but I don't know.

Darklord Dave
10-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I may be stupid, but I never connected MERCY with Tess Mercer before Oliver called her that. Seemed obvious too, but I never put it together. :slap:slap:slap:slap

As for the Green Arrow Spin-Off, I don't know, he seems like Batman without the dark and broading tragic backstory. It might work, but I don't know.

Ollie's parents were killed by Lionel Luthor - pretty tragic backstory, although he's better adjusted than Bruce. They've got such a well established DC universe (although without Bruce) that I think there's huge potential to keep it running after Smallville ends, which it has to do either this season or next.

TheObsoleteMan
10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Was that X what I think it was?

Hulksmashed
10-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I definately missed the Mercy reference in that way. What I thought was interesting though, has anyone been reading Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps?

In green lantern #7 and #8 Hal Jordan and oliver Queen fight "Black Mercy plants" that drain the life from you, while projecting visions of your perfect life into your mind. In green lantern Corps the lanterns fight "Mother Mercy" which is a sentient plant. You find out that her offspring have traveled to different worlds to feed and can make you relive your deepest fears or your perfect life.

I thought it was interesting that they implimented the name "Mercy" into the episode that dealt with deadly plants that cause you to relive both the worst and best thing to ever happen to you.

Krypto
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
What's with the red X? I'm clueless.

All in all, a great episode. This is shaping up to be the best season. I love the direction the show is taking. It's finally feeling more like Superman and less like Clark Kent.

TheObsoleteMan
10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
What's with the red X? I'm clueless.

All in all, a great episode. This is shaping up to be the best season. I love the direction the show is taking. It's finally feeling more like Superman and less like Clark Kent.

I thought maybe it was a hint at a character from the Teen Titans cartoon called Red X who was a master thief. It's probably not, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.

And I agree, this season has been awesome so far.

Krypto
10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought maybe it was a hint at a character from the Teen Titans cartoon called Red X who was a master thief. It's probably not, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.

And I agree, this season has been awesome so far.

Red X would make sense. They like to bring in the more obscure DC characters for guest spots and they've already had one Teen Titan (Cyborg) on the show.

Hulksmashed
10-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Red X would make sense. They like to bring in the more obscure DC characters for guest spots and they've already had one Teen Titan (Cyborg) on the show.

I just thought it was Lex since he is supposed to be a guest spot on the show a few episodes.

Natrix
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I just thought it was Lex since he is supposed to be a guest spot on the show a few episodes.

They thought he would come back for a few episodes but the latest was that he isn't supposed to be in at all this season anymore.

Darklord Dave
10-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm sure it's not the X from the Titans tv show. He's not a character in the comics. I agree it's probably Lex.

And another strong episode - Maxima was well cast, they continued the mythology plotline and it played in strongly to the episode plot. We got some great character moments for both Clark, Lois, Chloe and Jimmy and major leaps forward in the Lois & Clark relationship. Erica is doing her best work yet.

I just hope they can keep this going for 22 episodes. And to think I wanted this show put out of it's misery after last season.

Sick Boy 82
10-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Loved Maxima!! So hot and thought it was a cool way to cast someone for Clark to play off of with his powers. It's was cool to see L&C jumping off like DLD said. She definitely has the hots for old "Farm Boy".

Natrix
10-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm sure it's not the X from the Titans tv show. He's not a character in the comics. I agree it's probably Lex.

And another strong episode - Maxima was well cast, they continued the mythology plotline and it played in strongly to the episode plot. We got some great character moments for both Clark, Lois, Chloe and Jimmy and major leaps forward in the Lois & Clark relationship. Erica is doing her best work yet.

I just hope they can keep this going for 22 episodes. And to think I wanted this show put out of it's misery after last season.

I agree that the show has been pretty strong so far this year but they should have really been at this point in the story/show progression a couple of seasons ago. Now, if Clark would just fly already....

Darth Caedus
10-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Maxima was indeed a babe. As for who the X is, why would Lex say "YOU'RE NOT READY"...seems like a weird thing to say.

Darklord Dave
10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Maxima was indeed a babe. As for who the X is, why would Lex say "YOU'RE NOT READY"...seems like a weird thing to say.

True - more I thought about it, the more I think it could only be Brainiac.

Or perhaps Ollie?

Darth Caedus
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
True - more I thought about it, the more I think it could only be Brainiac.

Or perhaps Ollie?

If it was Lex, how would he get in to actually steal it, with everybody thinking he was dead (maybe he hired somebody I guess). Seems hard for someone like Lex Luthor to hide out without being seen. Don't think Ollie even knows anything about the crystal; actually, lex doesn't know what it is either, he didn't know that it was that which built the fortress and etc...BUT it guess it wouldn't be too difficult for him to know it was something alien with it being in the fortress and all.

It has to be brainiac.

Krypto
10-11-2008, 04:05 AM
It's not Lex. I'm 99% sure it's not. Why would Oliver leave a red X? Red X or Brainiac, I say. But I haven't heard anything about Marsters returning.

JediMike71
10-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I've been a HUGE fan of Smallville since the first episode. I've got seasons 1 - 7 on DVD. Since Superman is my favorite superhero, I gave this show a chance and I've really enjoyed it! :D Now, are we ever going to see Clark as Superman now that it's in it's rumored "final" season? I know about the old "no flight no tights" thing. Now with Millar and Cough off of the show...is there a slim chance? We've already seen Clark flying, even though as "Kal-El". :confused: I am hoping for at least one shot of Tom Welling in a new Superman suit. Not some stupid black one, but the traditional blue and red suit. I liked how Bryan Singer made the new Superman suit. Something like that would be great!

As for this season so far....yeah...it rocks! I got a rumor from T.V. Guide about Chloe and Jimmy's wedding during the November "sweeps", but I'm afraid it's a pretty big SPOILER! I am not sure if I should say it here, or not.

Darklord Dave
10-12-2008, 12:16 AM
It's not Lex. I'm 99% sure it's not. Why would Oliver leave a red X? Red X or Brainiac, I say. But I haven't heard anything about Marsters returning.

Well, with Chloe's latest "affliction," they don't necessarily need Marsters.

Krypto
10-12-2008, 03:15 AM
Good point, Dave. Chloe being Brainiac would certainly bring more conflict into the show!

Natrix
10-12-2008, 08:25 PM

That is exactly where I think this is heading.

Hulksmashed
10-13-2008, 05:23 AM

Yeah Chloniac is a definate possibility. Even if she isnt, braniac can take any form in the show. He could easily just have adopted new base look. Similar to Supernatural's change of Eve from a blond to a brunette.

As for Lex, kryptonian tech has swapped peoples bodies before.

Speaking of...did anyone else catch the line Clark said in the first episode of the season? He said to his captors "Please if you let me go I can get you anything you want" I thought for sure "controlling the traveler" would mean literally controlling the body of the traveler and when Clark said that I assumed it was Lex in Clark's body.

Could cohabitation be possible?

Sick Boy 82
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Erica Durance: One of the greatest racks ever!!!! She is so damned hot!!!! Her and her mind-bottling bust made even "The Butterfly Effect 2" worth watching. :lol

TheObsoleteMan
10-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Tonight's ep. was the first dud so far, but at least it showcased some nice Lois and Clark chemistry. Looks like we're gonna get back on track next week with Doomsday.

Darklord Dave
10-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I have to disagree. Sure, the "let's kidnap Chloe" felt tired - but the character work they got into in all 6 characters was very admirable. I'll reiterate - Durance is doing some of her best work ever. I just wish Welling was as good, he doesn't appear able to do subtle that well. Albeit Clark isn't a subtle person - he says and does what he feels, he just doesn't seem to know how he feels about Lois and I guess if that's where they're going, then Welling is doing okay.

I finally get the feeling that the show is being run by real fans who aren't afraid to get a little complex with the characters and avoid the teen angst that seems to be the staple of the CW. And they even gave Ollie a reason for being in the the exact same jewelry store as Lois and Clark and made it a character beat for him and Mercy. In the old Smallville he would have just stumbled in there for no reason.

"Statistically speaking, it's the safest way" - doesn't make much sense, but a nice callback.:joy

TheObsoleteMan
10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
"Statistically speaking, it's the safest way" - doesn't make much sense, but a nice callback.:joy

I loved that. :D

It's wasn't the old "let's kidnap Chloe" that bothered me with this one, it was the stupid plot of a guy who sells engagment rings kidnapping people and hooking them up to a lie detector. I do agree that it produced some nice character work though, so the episode wasn't a total loss.

Krypto
10-17-2008, 03:08 AM
The serial killer must have been hooked on that Fox show where people ruin their lives by answering personal questions while hooked up to a lie detector. Damn reality TV! :D

Anyway, I liked the episode a lot. Lois and Clark were great together, as usual. Durance was especially great during the confession. Great episode, despite the usual serial killer deal, which didn't bother me like ones in the past. This is the best season so far.

I finally get the feeling that the show is being run by real fans who aren't afraid to get a little complex with the characters and avoid the teen angst that seems to be the staple of the CW. And they even gave Ollie a reason for being in the the exact same jewelry store as Lois and Clark and made it a character beat for him and Mercy. In the old Smallville he would have just stumbled in there for no reason.

Definitely. It doesn't feel like they're holding back. They've done more with the characters in the last handful of episodes than they've done in all of last season almost. It's great.

Erica Durance: One of the greatest racks ever!!!! She is so damned hot!!!! Her and her mind-bottling bust made even "The Butterfly Effect 2" worth watching. :lol

Unfortunately, they're not real. Check out the original House of the Dead where she goes topless. Definitely had some "enhancements" in that region. But she's still a great actress and a wonderful Lois Lane.

Hulksmashed
10-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Tonight's ep. was the first dud so far, but at least it showcased some nice Lois and Clark chemistry. Looks like we're gonna get back on track next week with Doomsday.

I also disagree. I loved the clark coming to Lois' rescue scenes. Shows the street from above and a red streak zooming through.

The best part though was that Clark is starting to use skill to hide his ability instead of dumb luck. In old smallville Lois would have been shocked into unconciousness. Instead Clark took out steam pipes to hide what was going on. I also think that welling is a bit more commanding this season.

Also, the episode served an important purpose. It cleared up the Chloe and Jimmy relationship. The whole insecurity thing was getting old!

Darklord Dave
10-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Also, the episode served an important purpose. It cleared up the Chloe and Jimmy relationship. The whole insecurity thing was getting old!

However I got to thinking, Chloe's a brainiac now, she should have come up with a way to escape with her super mind. But perhaps her increased intelligence allowed her to fool the machine. I don't think that's where they're going - just putting it out there.

And I also have to comment that I liked Lois's excuse in the elevator that she slipped off the sensor. It makes Clark pause and kind of resets the relationship, at least for him (but not the audience).

The Mike
10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately, they're not real. Check out the original House of the Dead where she goes topless. Definitely had some "enhancements" in that region. But she's still a great actress and a wonderful Lois Lane.

They're real....real improved :lol I have problems with the enhancements because that means they'll always be there. Even when everything else hits the fan she'll be perky as possible and that.....is.....nice. :naughty

TheObsoleteMan
10-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I also disagree. I loved the clark coming to Lois' rescue scenes. Shows the street from above and a red streak zooming through.

The best part though was that Clark is starting to use skill to hide his ability instead of dumb luck. In old smallville Lois would have been shocked into unconciousness. Instead Clark took out steam pipes to hide what was going on. I also think that welling is a bit more commanding this season.

I agree with all of that. What made it a dud for me was setting all of that against a really dumb throw away plot.

When I say dud though, I mean compared to the fanastic run of episodes we've had so far this season. It was still good enough to keep me watching all the way through thanks to the progression of the character relationships that came out of it.

Sick Boy 82
10-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Yeah, but because I'll never feel hers, it's all about the look for me. Some fakes are nice and some fakes are just bad. That's why I don't like the prono fakes. They always turn out really bad. When you get the behind shot and the girl is bent over and they get those gross indents on the side, just yuck!! I definitely don't want to feel those!

But I have been privey to some nice fakes, so there are all kinds. Damn I miss that girl. Super cute bartender Vanessa in po-dunk China Lake. The town was Ridgecrest I think. God that place was a hole!!!! She was the only thing that made doing R&D in the high desert worth it all. :lol

The Mike
10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
That's why I don't like the prono fakes. They always turn out really bad. When you get the behind shot and the girl is bent over and they get those gross indents on the side, just yuck!! I definitely don't want to feel those!

I love Pron. :lol

Hulksmashed
10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with all of that. What made it a dud for me was setting all of that against a really dumb throw away plot.

When I say dud though, I mean compared to the fanastic run of episodes we've had so far this season. It was still good enough to keep me watching all the way through thanks to the progression of the character relationships that came out of it.

Yeah I agree! That's Smallville though. They usually do one episode about the season plot, and then one episode with its own plot and subtle references to the main plot.

Krypto
10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I didn't mean to say they were bad "enhancements". Not bad at all. ;)

Natrix
10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
My favorite part was when Lois was pressed to answer if she loved Clark. I like the reaction Clark had after she answered. He flinched and turned his head like he expected to get shocked and then had the slow stunned look when he realized that she answered honestly.

Darth Caedus
10-17-2008, 04:14 PM
My favorite part was when Lois was pressed to answer if she loved Clark. I like the reaction Clark had after she answered. He flinched and turned his head like he expected to get shocked and then had the slow stunned look when he realized that she answered honestly.

That made me laugh too, he was expecting to get shocked when she said YES. Sure, the kidnap plot was lame; I was expecting the guy to say I WANT TO PLAY A GAME. But the character interactions were top notch and especially lois :date

Can't wait till next week when we finially get a nice Doomsday episode, really hope the explanation for him isn't ridiculously lame.

Natrix
10-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Can't wait till next week when we finially get a nice Doomsday episode, really hope the explanation for him isn't ridiculously lame.

Yep, I'll admit I thought Doomsday was a terrible idea but am actually curious as to what they are going to do with him now.

JediMike71
10-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, the kidnapping storyline is pretty tired. I am enjoying the relationships and dialogue between characters. I really got so tired of the Clark and Lana relationship "rollercoaster". I like Clark's line when he and Lois first got into the elevator, "It's still the safest way to travel". Reminds me of the line Christopher Reeve has in Superman about flying, about how flying was still the safest way to travel.

I hope they do Doomsday justice. Sam Witwer is a great choice. I loved his work in the recent Star Wars videogame, Force Unleashed. :D He did an outstaning job as Darth Vader's secret apprentice with torn and conflicted emotions.

I really think Erica Durance is perfect as the new Lois Lane for our time. I think she's a MUCH better choice than Kate Bosworth was as Lois in "Superman Returns". I hear that she won't be back for the next "reboot" Superman movie with Brandon Routh anyway. I wish Routh would bow out, and Tom Welling would step in as the new Superman. I heard they've offered it to him and he's refused to do it. :confused:

Krypto
10-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Bosworth and Durance might as well be playing different characters, as each interpretation of Lois is different because the character is at a different point in their lives. Bosworth's now a mother making her a little more mature and subdued and Durance's is more spunky and youthful. I like both of them very much. Bosworth really surprised me in Returns. She was the one thing I was worried about, but I loved her take on the character.

Darklord Dave
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Bosworth and Durance might as well be playing different characters, as each interpretation of Lois is different because the character is at a different point in their lives. Bosworth's now a mother making her a little more mature and subdued and Durance's is more spunky and youthful. I like both of them very much. Bosworth really surprised me in Returns. She was the one thing I was worried about, but I loved her take on the character.

Yes, they are completely different characters just as Clark is a completely different character in SR than he is in SV. But I much, much, much, much prefer the Smallville version of both characters. But to be fair, Durance has been given far more "meat" to get into than Bosworth got in SR.

Krypto
10-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Such is the nature of television. Bosworth gets a portion of a two and a half hour film and Durance gets a portion of five seasons worth of television.

Darklord Dave
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Actually I was referring more to how much drama her character has and how she's been able to change just in this season, rather than screen time.

Darth Caedus
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Actually I was referring more to how much drama her character has and how she's been able to change just in this season, rather than screen time.

I thought that you mean that Durance eats more "meat" then Bosworth and that Bosworth needs a sandwich lest she collapse into herself.

Krypto
10-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Still, that's roughly twice as much time as Bosworth. Lois went through a lot in Superman Returns and her character arc was very well handled by the actress. I haven't seen a great deal of change in Durance's Lois so far, although she's of course very entertaining and played very well.

I thought that you mean that Durance eats more "meat" then Bosworth and that Bosworth needs a sandwich lest she collapse into herself.

She put on a few pounds after Superman Returns.

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/kate_bosworth_hawaii_front.jpg

TheObsoleteMan
10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Ok, so who else had a nerdgasm at the final shot of next week's tease?

This show is so good right now it's ridiculous.

Krypto
10-24-2008, 03:37 AM
If they deliver on that tease...oh my! :D

Great episode. I like how they're teasing us with Doomsday. It should be epic once we finally see that transformation.

Darth Loki
10-24-2008, 05:46 AM
I never watch the teasers but this was by far the best episode in a LONG time.

Though any episode without Lois is a mistake :monkey5

Darth Caedus
10-24-2008, 10:23 AM

You have never said truer words

Hulksmashed
10-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Ok, so who else had a nerdgasm at the final shot of next week's tease?

This show is so good right now it's ridiculous.

Um MEE!! Finally Superman is less who he will become and more who he HAS become. Very Spiderman 1 esque with that last scene though (which isnt bad).

This season brings something FRESH to the table finally. And this episode was awesome! Him sitting next to the police scanner all night to make sure he does all he can. Very Kert Busiek's interpretation of Superman through the Samaritan in Astro City.

Also the above the city shots with clark zipping through saving everyone. That was GREAT! That was remeniceint of the FLash in Kingdom Come. I also love putting John Jonzz as the detective!!

TheObsoleteMan
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I also love putting John Jonzz as the detective!!

Phil Morris has been great as Martian Manhunter. The more of him on the show, the better.

This season is really showing me just how much of a drag Lana and Lionel had become to the show. The absence of those two and all of their baggage is really allowing the other characters to shine.

Hulksmashed
10-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Phil Morris has been great as Martian Manhunter. The more of him on the show, the better.

This season is really showing me just how much of a drag Lana and Lionel had become to the show. The absence of those two and all of their baggage is really allowing the other characters to shine.

Agreed! And not just them, but LEX too. Lex was always behind things and in things and the source of tension. With him gone things can work independently of the luthors and give rise to new villains like DOOMSDAY!.

Darklord Dave
10-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I thought this was the weakest of the season so far, although I'm biased against any ep without Erica. But there were a lot of things I liked - the progression of Clark's "mission" and his obsession - Jonn calling him on it and realizing he has a problem. And I liked Phil Morris as Jonn a lot - although if he lost his powers, wouldn't he be in martian form? He's a great mentor character and I hope they use him a lot more.

Still not sure where they're going with Doomsday, but they've got me curious.

Darth Loki
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
You have never said truer words

Sure I have. I said you were a flaming homosexual.

And Dave I'm really curious as well. I have a feeling he's going to end up killing Chloe. I think it's time a main character died and now that Lois is at the Planet with Clark, her time seems limited.

I wonder if we'll see some huge super battle to end the show and this will be where Clark finally realizes his destiny and becomes Supes? I know Welling has said for a long time that he didn't want to don the tights but I think it'd be a fitting end to the show.

TheObsoleteMan
10-24-2008, 01:04 PM
And Dave I'm really curious as well. I have a feeling he's going to end up killing Chloe. I think it's time a main character died and now that Lois is at the Planet with Clark, her time seems limited.

I have the same feeling. The triangle between her, Jimmy and Davis feels like it's leading to Chloe's death. I could see it maybe happening at the wedding or just before it.

Darklord Dave
10-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I have the same feeling. The triangle between her, Jimmy and Davis feels like it's leading to Chloe's death. I could see it maybe happening at the wedding or just before it.

Perhaps I'm just looking for sci-fi cliches, but this episode made me think that we might see this scene later: Doomsday standing over a beaten Clark who is near death and Chloe arrives on the scene and because of her connection to Davis she's able to just barely stop the final killing blow. Of course she could die while doing that - which would make it more poignant (and a bit less cliche).

Hulksmashed
10-27-2008, 06:09 AM
IN the first episode with Davis, he says something heartfelt to Chloe....and then follows it up with "And I will personally kick the butt of anyone that says thats cliche". I was waiting for Chloe to tell Clark and Clark call it cliche....never happend. Point being, did they just miss that or was that a subtle attempt to tell everyone the show is no longer cookie cutter predictable and/or cliche happy?

Hulksmashed
10-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Oh, and am I the ONLY one that hopes before the show ends John Jonzz gets his powers back and reveals his true form??!!

I want the original JLA to appear at some point with original members + Green Arrow. We already have MMH, Aquaman, Flash, and Superman...now we need Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Batman (I'm sure liscensing will prevent the bat) but Green Arrow is an acceptable replacement!

Darklord Dave
10-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I doubt we'll see WW or GL - but I'm really hoping that Bruce makes an appearance - he just about has to. The success of TDK and no new film on the horizon should allow them to do that.

JediMike71
10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow, that final "tease" of Clark...as...could it be...Superman?! I hope so! Finally after 7+ years of waiting to see him in "the suit" that Millar and Cough said he would never wear. Oh yeah! :D I'm excited about that. But wait...IF it actually DOES happen. Something makes me think with the recent unpredictability (in a good way) of this show, something will happen, and we won't see Clark as Superman for the first time. But, I hope to eat those words and see him in the familiar red and blue suit very soon!

Superman is my all-time favorite superhero, and I've enjoyed this great show since the first episode. I agree that Lana and Lionel Luthor really did drag the show down for a LONG time. Even Lex Luthor too, as much I really enjoyed Michael Rosenbaum's great performance.

It would be great to see Davis fully transform into Doomsday. Seeing him battle Clark onscreen would rock! :banana It'd remind me of the "Death Of Superman" comic.

Yeah, I'd enjoy seeing a full-on Martian Manhunter, and even Wonder Woman, and the first full JLA together.

I'd really love to see Christian Bale appear once as Batman, or at least one small cameo as Bruce Wayne meeting Clark for the first time. I know Bale is working on Terminator: Salvation now. So he may not be able to do that cameo.

I heard that this is the last season of Smallville. I hope it ends with a BANG, and not a weak whimper. It's been great this season up to now. :D

Hulksmashed
10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I doubt we'll see WW or GL - but I'm really hoping that Bruce makes an appearance - he just about has to. The success of TDK and no new film on the horizon should allow them to do that.

Batman is withheld more then any other DC character in many medias because of screwy licensing issues. I have DC Universe trading card sets that have the most obscure DC characters ever and NO Batman. I am sure agreements could be made with the right people to turn a profit though....here's to hoping!

Not to mention...if they DID bring in WW, GL, and Batman...it would make for a kick ass post Smallville JLA made for TV movie, lol.

Darklord Dave
10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Batman is withheld more then any other DC character in many medias because of screwy licensing issues. I have DC Universe trading card sets that have the most obscure DC characters ever and NO Batman. I am sure agreements could be made with the right people to turn a profit though....here's to hoping!

Not to mention...if they DID bring in WW, GL, and Batman...it would make for a kick ass post Smallville JLA made for TV movie, lol.

Well, actually Smallville is sort of a spin-off of the unproduced Bruce Wayne pilot. So there aren't any licensing issues - it's just Warner Bros. not wanting to pollute the Batman franchise. And I'd hate to see Bale as Bats in Smallville. Bruce needs to be in the same place career-wise as Clark.

Darth Caedus
10-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, actually Smallville is sort of a spin-off of the unproduced Bruce Wayne pilot. So there aren't any licensing issues - it's just Warner Bros. not wanting to pollute the Batman franchise. And I'd hate to see Bale as Bats in Smallville. Bruce needs to be in the same place career-wise as Clark.

Yea, Bruce would probably be in the East studying his martial arts being the same age as Clark in addition to being dark and brooding.

Hulksmashed
10-28-2008, 05:51 AM

Oh wow...then Wayne could make an appearance. I would LOVE to see Bruce Wayne (not yet Batman) show up in Smallville and but heads with "The boyscout"

UTtoyfan
10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
The red cape made the appearance just now!!!:horror:horror

:rotfl:rotfl:rolleyes:

TheObsoleteMan
10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
I could see where the episode was going very early on, but it was still great. Loved Clark's moment of realization during the crowd scene. Killer ending too. ;) :monkey5

Sick Boy 82
10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Holy ^^^^ballz!!!! I made it home just in time from class to turn on my DVR!! WOOOOO!! I had literally ran into my room at 7:59!! Thank god for commercials!!

JediMike71
10-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Ahh hah! :rolleyes: So the figure in the red and blue....was Oliver Queen. Somehow I knew we wouldn't finally see Clark as Superman...yet. I am hoping for the final shot of this entire series to be him in the suit. It may be my "pipe dream", but I'd love to see it happen just once!

Darklord Dave
10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Another really strong episode. They're going to have to pull something big out of the hat to explain the glasses and why everyone around him doesn't immediately know the good Samaritan is Clark.

And next week we finally learn about Kara! It will be good to see her again, but they've been having a winning streak - I hope it doesn't get sidetracked trying to tie up loose ends.

Krypto
10-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Very strong episode. So next week they're in the Phantom Zone it looks like. Cool. Hopefully we'll get some Doomsday stuff before the mid-season break though. Something BIG needs to happen there.

And Chloe! Whoa!

JediMike71
10-31-2008, 05:24 AM
I agree that last night's episode was a strong one, and one of the best of the series. Yeah, I agree that something BIG has got to happen soon. It will be great to see Kara/Supergirl again. Even if it is in the Phantom Zone. Hopefully Clark can help her escape. She still needs to teach him how to fly, like she told him she would do earlier. :D

I think Chloe has taken her first step towards evil last night after doing what she did. I hate seeing that because I love her character so much. But, Brainiac has already corrupted her. :(

I'd like to see Davis transform into Doomsday soon too.

Hulksmashed
10-31-2008, 05:33 AM
My favorite part of the episode was actually Clark telling Jimmy "I have to make a phone call, ill be right back" and Jimmy says "NOW?" Superman always dissapears as Clark with a flimsy excuse when hes got Superman stuff to do. The BEST part though was that Jimmy sees Clark and immediately says "You expect me to FALL for that? You take off just so you can come in and save me!"

Krypto
10-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah, I loved all of Jimmy's stuff. Ashmore is really doing a great job as Jimmy. There's still that "gee-whiz" quality about him, but he's also a smart reporter and photographer.

Darth Caedus
10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
I forget, how did Kara get into the Phantom Zone again????

Might not have some good Kara/Clark scenes because Lois is trapped there too.

Darklord Dave
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM

It does seem this season is all about the Clark/Lois arc - so I'm glad they aren't forsaking her.

Hulksmashed
10-31-2008, 07:04 PM

They can't use their powers in the Phantom zone anyway.

UTtoyfan
11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Wow! Another great episode tonight. I sense a creature of Doom about to appear soon...>!!!!:banana:horror:horror

Loved seeing Kara back, although it probably the last time :(

Natrix
11-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow! Another great episode tonight. I sense a creature of Doom about to appear soon...>!!!!:banana:horror:horror

Loved seeing Kara back, although it probably the last time :(

Gotta agree, even the reason Kara left is great...Kandor!

Doomsday back story revealed! Lois possessed!

I really hope that we get another season after this one. I hate to say it but now is seems like the show is better in part because Lex and Lana are gone. Of course it also helps that there is some new creative blood running the show.

TheObsoleteMan
11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Gotta agree, even the reason Kara left is great...Kandor!

Doomsday back story revealed! Lois possessed!

I really hope that we get another season after this one. I hate to say it but now is seems like the show is better in part because Lex and Lana are gone. Of course it also helps that there is some new creative blood running the show.

Cutting loose the baggage of Lana, Lionel and Lex and the new blood running the show have made Smallville better than it's ever been. I would love to see at least another season if they can keep the quality this high.

Darklord Dave
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I still can't believe I was wishing they'd put this show out of it's misery last year. I was worried that this would just be a tie up the Kara loose ends throw away episode, but every single beat advanced one of the season's major plotlines:

1) The crystal and Mercy's obsession with finding Lex.
2) Lois and Clark's relationship.
3) Doomsday.
4) Chloe as Brainiac
Every single one was serviced and made for a very compelling drama. I nearly yelled with joy when Kara took Clark's hand.

I always thought Doomsday was lame in the comics, but this backstory is extremely cool and perfect!

And giving Kara a reason to disappear rather than losing her memory yet again - Kandor! Brilliant!

And Erica was especially hot when in the Phaedra persona. :naughty

Darklord Dave
11-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Just read this in Variety - I guess less money means you have to be more creative.

Some have already seen cuts, such as the CW's "Smallville," where production costs were sliced by several hundred thousand dollars a seg this year.

Although I expect that losing Kristen, Michael and Al & Mile's salaries probably helped make these cuts less painful.

nash
11-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I still can't believe I was wishing they'd put this show out of it's misery last year.

I can't either, but hey, it's ok that your opinion is wrong. :cool:

Krypto
11-07-2008, 04:19 AM
I always thought Doomsday was lame in the comics, but this backstory is extremely cool and perfect!

I agree. I've never been a fan of the character. Provided the actual transformation is worthwhile, this would definitely be the best incarnation of Doomsday ever.

Just an awesome episode. The season only seems to get better and better. Can't wait to see the Legion in a few episodes.

Hulksmashed
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
When I heard they were bringing Doomsday into the show and he was going to be a nice guy by day and Doomsday by night I thought "LAME". Then I read where Jeff Johns though it was a stretch, but after learning the whole sub plot thought it was "well done" I thought "Might not suck it Johns likes it"...

I have to admit though I was THRILLED! They tied Doomsday into the Superman Mythos flawlessly! I wish it was actually Doomsday's comic book back story. The BEST part, however, is that they barely TWEAKED Doomsday's creation story and power set. Created on Krypton and every time he is defeated he comes back stronger and the weakness that leads to his defeat is eliminated so he can never be defeated the same way again.

It fits perfectly!! He's human and a good guy because his evolution had stalled, and the black outs are random bursts of temporary surges in his evolution. Which makes the end Knife scene unbelievably cool!!! :rock:rock

Hulksmashed
11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Just an awesome episode. The season only seems to get better and better. Can't wait to see the Legion in a few episodes.

OHH yeah. Jeff Johns is by far my favorite writer in the comic industry right now! If he is the brain power behind "Legion" I would put money on it being awesome! Here is what Johns has to say about his episode of Smallville!

http://comics.ign.com/articles/926/926152p6.html

Look carefully at the end..."If there is a season nine I would KILL to do another episode with Glenn!" At least no one's told Johns season 9 is off the table!!

Oh and if your interested...in the beginning of the article they state that "Richard Donner has endorsed Jeff Johns to write the next Superman Movie script"!!!! :rock:rock

isculpt
11-08-2008, 10:36 PM
this by far has been a great season

JediMike71
11-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I agree. It has been a great season. Now, I'm hoping this 8th season is not their last one. The last I heard it was. It'd be great to see Clark as Superman in season 9. But I really doubt that will happen. Or will it...? :confused:

Darklord Dave
11-09-2008, 01:51 AM
I've stopped questioning - I thought Doomsday was a bad idea, but it's turning out great. I thought Tess was the wrong way to go to replace Lex, but 'Mercy' and her past with Ollie is great. I thought taking time out to just close up Kara's story was a mistake - but I'd say it was probably my favorite episode. I thought Legion was a bad idea too - but now I can't wait to see how they handle it.

And Johns mentions Kristen? I didn't know she was coming back - here's another thing that sounds like it could be a huge mistake - but I now have faith in this crew.

Natrix
11-09-2008, 10:10 AM
And Johns mentions Kristen? I didn't know she was coming back - here's another thing that sounds like it could be a huge mistake - but I now have faith in this crew.

She is coming back for 4 episodes.

Krypto
11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I think it's obvious that this show would have been so much better had Gough and Millar left many seasons ago.

Yeah, Donner endorsed Johns, but that's not really saying much since him and Johns have been in business for a couple of decades now. Johns used to be his assistant I believe, going back to the late 80's if I'm not mistaken. John certainly "gets" Superman for the most part and Donner's worked with him on the Superman books of late, so it comes as no surprise that Donner thinks he would be a good choice to write it. I find it somewhat hard to disagree with him. But if I had to pick a comic book writer to write the next movie, it would be without a doubt Kurt Busiek. He totally and completely gets the character.

Darth Caedus
11-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I think it's obvious that this show would have been so much better had Gough and Millar left many seasons ago.

Yeah, Donner endorsed Johns, but that's not really saying much since him and Johns have been in business for a couple of decades now. Johns used to be his assistant I believe, going back to the late 80's if I'm not mistaken. John certainly "gets" Superman for the most part and Donner's worked with him on the Superman books of late, so it comes as no surprise that Donner thinks he would be a good choice to write it. I find it somewhat hard to disagree with him. But if I had to pick a comic book writer to write the next movie, it would be without a doubt Kurt Busiek. He totally and completely gets the character.

Yea, Gough and Millar know how to the the Dawson's Creek crap, but these guys this season know how to make a superhero show. This season's been FANTASTIC

UTtoyfan
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
She is coming back for 4 episodes.

I hope she comes back and leaves for GOOD! Not that I have anything against Kristen Kreuk, but all the on again off again relationship stuff just doesn't belong in Smallville. Just my opinion, of course. :D

Darth Caedus
11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I hope she comes back and leaves for GOOD! Not that I have anything against Kristen Kreuk, but all the on again off again relationship stuff just doesn't belong in Smallville. Just my opinion, of course. :D

Yea, I'm really hoping that she dies. The "romance" for 7 seasons really got on my nerves and wasn't all that productive

Darklord Dave
11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
You can't kill Lana Lang, but the way I'd take it is to bring her back wanting to re-spark her romance with Clark, but she'll see the nascent romance between Clark and Lois and realize that they are destined to be together, so she steps out of the way, despite Clark's protests.

And as much as I like Miles & Al, you do get the feeling that they may have been holding the show back for a few seasons.

JediMike71
11-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping the same thing as you Dave. For the stuff with Lana coming back. I was hoping that she wouldn't. Clark and Lois' relationship is starting to slowly come together. I'd hate to see them waste 4 episodes on Lana. She's just had WAY too much exposure in this show. I honestly was happy to see her go, and I let out a deep breath of relief. :D

Hopefully she won't screw up what has been by far one of the best seasons of Smallville. So has anyone heard if they are making a season 9? :confused: Or, is this it? Is this season the final one?

Krypto
11-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Last season, it was looking like this season would be the last, but since this season has been so good and the ratings have been going up, who knows.

JediMike71
11-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to stay optimistic about it. Smallville has to be one of the best shows on the CW. The only other one that looks decent to me is Supernatural. But I've never watched it.

Darth Caedus
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to stay optimistic about it. Smallville has to be one of the best shows on the CW. The only other one that looks decent to me is Supernatural. But I've never watched it.

I had never watched it myself before this new season, but I must say that I like it a lot. You really don't have to watch every episode to know what's going on. Must get the previous seasons on Netflix.

The Mike
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Last season, it was looking like this season would be the last, but since this season has been so good and the ratings have been going up, who knows.

All reports still indicate that this will be their last season even though the show is doing well. The CW is already asking for WB for a replacement show which "The Graysons" was supposed to fill before that got axed. There were rumors a while back that the end of this season was supposed be a homage to the fans indicating Clark's taking up the mantle of Superman and it was supposed to be one that really tied everything together continuity wise. Of course tons of rumors were also posted that the last episode would have Clark finally wearing the costume so we'll see what pans out but if they are doing a 9th Season it will be announced fairly soon....

a-dev
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I had to stop watching this show. Used to like it till I realised they were just going to keep doing the same stuff over and over again, and some of the superheroes they brought in, Green arrow etc, were just too camp - as was the scoring.

Hulksmashed
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I had to stop watching this show. Used to like it till I realised they were just going to keep doing the same stuff over and over again, and some of the superheroes they brought in, Green arrow etc, were just too camp - as was the scoring.

Oh if you stopped watching before this season you are missing out! It went from campy teen super drama to hardcore DC universe/superman fan fest!!

Sick Boy 82
11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Even though I love KK, she was getting annoying on the show! She really has no place left in the show & I'm actually not excited to see her come back. I like the was the cast fits together now and I think bringing her back even for a few episodes won't really work.

And like everyone is saying, I LOVE DOOMSDAY!!!! Such an awesome storyline and I'm glad they are being true to the comic story. Can't wait for him to transform. To bad they are bringin him out before Clark is even Superman??

Darklord Dave
11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
If this is the last season and they're doing a great job of setting up the mythology - from the cape to Kandor. It was always said that the final shot of the final episode would be him in the suit flying off to Metropolis.

We just need Kara back to teach him to fly.

JediMike71
11-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I didn't know that he would be in the suit at all. If the final shot is that, then I'll be happy. :D Just to see Tom Welling as Superman in the suit once would be a nice bookend to the series. I thought he'd refused to wear it, and Cough and Millar always said "no flight, no tights". But we're already having the "flight" part. Now we need the "tights". I wish Welling would be Superman in the next movie. The latest I heard is that Brandon Routh is still in as Superman. Anyone heard different? :confused:

The Mike
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Routh is probably going to make the Superman cut even considering the Reboot as WB really liked him casted as the part. Welling has said repeatedly he has absolutely no interest in playing Superman on the Big or Small screen so that is out. Again Welling in a Supersuit is just rumor, another one was that he'd hold the Supersuit as if about to put it on and it'd fade to black during a thematic score. Nothing is solid yet until we hear that the last episode was filmed then the news will start to trickle in.

JediMike71
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Okay. I actually really enjoyed Superman Returns, and Routh's work in it as both Clark and Superman. I fully supported it, and saw it in the IMAX with 3-D parts. It was great. So when he comes back in the next Superman, that is fine with me. I'll go see it and buy the DVD just like I did for S.R. Still, I would love to see Welling in the suit...just once. Here's to hoping for that in the final episode of Smallville. :D

Luis138
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I have one concern/question though. Superman's disguise has always been a pair of glasses. He puts on the glasses and suddenly nobody recognizes him as Clark Kent, nobody puts two and two together.

Smallville's Clark Kent has never put on glasses, so when he becomes Superman everyone will recognize the face. Am I missing something?

Luis

Darklord Dave
11-10-2008, 10:29 PM
I have one concern/question though. Superman's disguise has always been a pair of glasses. He puts on the glasses and suddenly nobody recognizes him as Clark Kent, nobody puts two and two together.

Smallville's Clark Kent has never put on glasses, so when he becomes Superman everyone will recognize the face. Am I missing something?

Luis

They must have a plan for this - it's a staple of the mythology - hopefully it will be as creative as what they've come up with for Doomsday.

Luis138
11-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I have thought of that as well.

Luis

JediMike71
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I saw one quick scene of him with the glasses on pushing them up on his nose with his finger in the title sequence this season. Did I miss that scene this season, or is it yet to come? :confused: It looked like he was in a suit amoung a crowd, inside what looked to be the Daily Planet.

I agree that at least so far...we haven't seen Clark wearing glasses at the Daily Planet, or anywhere else for that matter.

The Mike
11-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Clark did wear glasses briefly for one episode a couple of seasons ago. Fans went nutso for it even though it was common knowledge that it wasn't a long term thing.

Superman: Birthright handled it interestingly having Clark spend time outside of the US to really experience the need for his power and upon returning Ma Kent mentioned that its the deep blue in his eyes that makes it memorable. He puts on the glasses with lenses that are tinted a bit to really draw attention away from them, then changes his stature, his mannerisms, even his way of speaking developing a "studder" that doesn't actually exist.

The thing about Superman is that he hides in plain sight. His persona as Clark is so believable that those who make the connection immediately second guess themselves and dismiss it. When you look at Clark slumped over with thick coke bottle glasses, messy hair and a studder, then look at Superman who is standing upright, tall, with a powerful and commanding voice, hair slicked back and deep blue eyes....people almost say Clark kind of looks like a dorky version of Superman nothing more.

Reeve did this perfectly in the 1970s Superman film and something along those lines could easily work in Smallville but they'd have to separate Clark from Lois, Jimmy and anyone who he'd come in contact with regularly to create that new persona and have it stick. The only reason Clark would have needed glasses in Smallville is if he were Superboy which here he isn't but they made an additional issue with introducing Metropolis folks into the stream. One argues what about pictures and such, the modern comic mythos has stated that Clark himself is picture along side articles and such that people just assume that Clark naturally turned into the persona he wanted. Its a psychological thing with Superman more than anything, having you doubt yourself and the ability to connect the dots is more the game than having to hide out. That is why when people actually find out they are one and the same its such a shock because they feel foolish for not making the connection before.

Hulksmashed
11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Clark did wear glasses briefly for one episode a couple of seasons ago. Fans went nutso for it even though it was common knowledge that it wasn't a long term thing.

Superman: Birthright handled it interestingly having Clark spend time outside of the US to really experience the need for his power and upon returning Ma Kent mentioned that its the deep blue in his eyes that makes it memorable. He puts on the glasses with lenses that are tinted a bit to really draw attention away from them, then changes his stature, his mannerisms, even his way of speaking developing a "studder" that doesn't actually exist.

The thing about Superman is that he hides in plain sight. His persona as Clark is so believable that those who make the connection immediately second guess themselves and dismiss it. When you look at Clark slumped over with thick coke bottle glasses, messy hair and a studder, then look at Superman who is standing upright, tall, with a powerful and commanding voice, hair slicked back and deep blue eyes....people almost say Clark kind of looks like a dorky version of Superman nothing more.

Reeve did this perfectly in the 1970s Superman film and something along those lines could easily work in Smallville but they'd have to separate Clark from Lois, Jimmy and anyone who he'd come in contact with regularly to create that new persona and have it stick. The only reason Clark would have needed glasses in Smallville is if he were Superboy which here he isn't but they made an additional issue with introducing Metropolis folks into the stream. One argues what about pictures and such, the modern comic mythos has stated that Clark himself is picture along side articles and such that people just assume that Clark naturally turned into the persona he wanted. Its a psychological thing with Superman more than anything, having you doubt yourself and the ability to connect the dots is more the game than having to hide out. That is why when people actually find out they are one and the same its such a shock because they feel foolish for not making the connection before.

Easiest explaination I can think of for people accepting Clarks double persona in Smallville after knowing him for years would be a brainiac reboot of those close to him by Chloe. Her line between right and wrong is obviously blurring and her full brainiac power is still not known.

Krypto
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Brainiac is fully taking control of Chloe this week, so that would make sense Hulk and the show certainly isn't shy about those kind of story tactics. ;)

The closest you'll get to Welling actually playing Superman is some kind of final shot in the last episode and even that's iffy.

Natrix
11-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Great episode, last scene conversation gave me goosebumps....then the preview for next week...

All I can say is...

HOLY ^^^^! IT IS DOOMSDAY!!

UTtoyfan
11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Great episode, last scene conversation gave me goosebumps....then the preview for next week...

All I can say is...

HOLY ^^^^! IT IS DOOMSDAY!!

That's what I thought too! Another great episode. Loved all the flashback scenes to previous seasons, and when Chloe goes to Clark's barn for the first time. Davis is great too. Haha, I just realized he's Vader's apprentice in Force Unleashed. I knew the character in the game looked familiar. :o

Hulksmashed
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
GOOD GOD, Doomsday looks AWESOME. The best part is Clark throwing a punch and doomsday just catching his fist! Part of me loves it...the other part kinda wishes Clark would go up against someone that he COULD beat. Doomsday is unbeatable...even for full strength superman!

Darth Loki
11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't like spoilers so I don't watch the previews but,

DOOMSDAY IS COMING :rock :rock :rock

JediMike71
11-13-2008, 07:33 PM
WOW! :D Tonight's episode was great. One of the best. As we've said in this thread before, this season keeps getting better and better. I enjoyed seeing the younger versions of Chloe and Clark in the barn. That was a nice scene. I'm excited to see Doomsday in his final form, at least for a second, in the preview for next week's episode! Yeah, Clark really has his hands full now. So, Lana is returning, and all of Clark's friends are at Jimmy and Chloe's wedding? :horror Oh boy. Clark's going to really have some explaning to do when he has to confront Doomsday at the wedding. You know I like seeing Doomsday in Smallville, but at the same time I wanted to see Clark battle him as Superman. Just like in the comic book, Superman issue #75, where Doomsday killed Superman.

I don't know who the two villains are that Bryan Singer has planned for his Superman: The Man Of Steel movie, but I wonder if Doomsday will show up there? Or possibly Brainiac, or even Bizarro?

I really love this show. One of my all-time favorite T.V. shows. As I've said before, Superman is my favorite superhero. It's been so great to see a top-quality show about his growing up years. :D

I agree that actor Sam Witwer is a GREAT choice for Davis/Doomsday! He's proven himself to me after his terrific work in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

UTtoyfan
11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Just cause I can't get enough of it. SPOILER for next week's episode!!!
(It's the teaser we saw after tonight's show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZUCccLnH8

:horror:horror:horror:banana:banana:banana

TheObsoleteMan
11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Smallville is far and away my favorite show on tv right now. Tonight's episode was just brilliant. The moments between Clark and Jor-El in the fortress gave me chills.

Next week... Doomsday! :horror

Darklord Dave
11-13-2008, 10:58 PM
I thought this episode was a bit boring, but they've raised the bar so high this season there was bound to be a few lulls. But young Chloe was perfectly cast and the Kryptonian Doom symbol is very cool.

AND we have another beat in the mythology with Kal-El reconciling with Jor-El. And perhaps we'll have Marsters back, at least in voice. So how about a Jor-El reset for all of Clark's friends to erase the memory of his amazing abilities?

As for next week - I never anticipated they'd try to replicate the comic look of Doomsday - and he kind of looked like a big muppet in those quick shots.

But even though I didn't like as much as some other episodes this season - it was still great writing. And I'm glad they're saying "screw it" to the episodic narrative that most networks prefer - just one big long story is how I like it.

nash
11-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Just cause I can't get enough of it. SPOILER for next week's episode!!!
(It's the teaser we saw after tonight's show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZUCccLnH8

:horror:horror:horror:banana:banana:banana

God Kristen looks so F'n HOT! :naughty:monkey5:horror

And was that Clark and Lois hooking up?

Krypto
11-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Awesome episode. This season just gets better and better and holy crap, next weeks episode looks epic. Doomsday, from the brief glimpse, looks just like the comics. The build to this episode has been so great, I just hope the payoff is as good as I hope.

Darth Caedus
11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, at least Jor-El didn't materialize and give Chloe the good-ole Amnesia Kiss to make her forget........ Am kind of bummed that she won't remember anything about Clark anymore. So know it's pretty much just Lana and Oliver that know anything about Clark now....and Lana's hopefully going to be gone for good in the next few episodes.

Don't know if I like the all boney/grey doomsday though. The show seems to have mostly had characters that are like their comic counterparts, but more based on reality. I would rather have Davis' eyes go red and just have him go on a rampage as himself. BUT, we'll see, I should be awesome regardless

Hulksmashed
11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I really liked this episode! One of the things that I enjoyed the most was how Brainiac took over Chloe. He methodically and systematically digitized all of her memories as she thought about them until nothing remained but Davis. Exactly how Brainiac would go about something like that.

Next week I have a feeling Clark isnt going to be the one to stop Doomsday though. It's going to be Chloe soothing the beast like Betty Ross Calms the Hulk or something along those lines. I just hope that they at least let Clark put up a hell of a fight before he goes down.

As for the look of Doomsday, I think he looked good but I agree a slow evolution into Doomsday would be cool. Unfortunately I doubt everyone will learn Doomsday's alter ego is Davis next week. So the transformation is also a plot device that prevents people from knowing who he is right away.

Darth Caedus
11-14-2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.kryptonsite.com/bridecap21.jpg

Darklord Dave
11-14-2008, 11:37 PM
http://www.kryptonsite.com/bridecap21.jpg

And? I was looking for a forum for Smallville - but when I visited there it was mostly about do-ey or chlo-my or the stupid romantic pairings so favored by the tween set.

Darth Caedus
11-15-2008, 10:57 AM
And? I was looking for a forum for Smallville - but when I visited there it was mostly about do-ey or chlo-my or the stupid romantic pairings so favored by the tween set.

CRAP, it was supposed to be a pic of Doomy from next week. Arg, guess I couldn't link to the image.

Darklord Dave
11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
CRAP, it was supposed to be a pic of Doomy from next week. Arg, guess I couldn't link to the image.

ohh, nice hotlink protection.

The Mike
11-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Ta-Da!!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1262/bridecap21hq0.jpg

Darth Caedus
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
ohh, nice hotlink protection.

Sorry about that Dave, I didn't know they had hotlink protection. Guess I could have viewed my post to see if the image was there or not. Won't happen again.

Ta-Da!!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1262/bridecap21hq0.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Was going to imageshack that myself but I guess I was too lazy. I still haven't decided if I like that or not....

Darklord Dave
11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Sorry about that Dave, I didn't know they had hotlink protection. Guess I could have viewed my post to see if the image was there or not. Won't happen again.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Was going to imageshack that myself but I guess I was too lazy. I still haven't decided if I like that or not....

If they keep him in the shadows it could work, but given that they've cut up the budget for the show, I don't have high hopes for how he'll look in action.

UTtoyfan
11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Tonight's the night! Promo trailer #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaTgvrpTOys

nash
11-20-2008, 01:38 PM
what a great night, first smallville and then NBA game. :rock

Natrix
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
what a great night, first smallville and then NBA game. :rock

:lol:lol:lol:lol NBA...HAHAHAHAHAH!! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

JediMike71
11-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I watched it tonight at work. I could see what was going on, but really couldn't hear the dialogue. I recorded it at home, and I'll watch it again tonight/tomorrow. Doomsday stayed mostly in shadows from what I saw. I couldn't see much since our T.V. here is an older one with a bad picture. :rolleyes:

TheObsoleteMan
11-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Lana wasn't annoying. These guys can work miracles!

Yet another brilliant episode. It's gonna be a long wait til jan 15th. The preview looked awesome.

Sick Boy 82
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Why did it take Chloe like 8 years to get hot!!!! DAMN!!!!

She looked good when Jimmy walked in on her!!!! WOOOO!!

JediMike71
11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Lana wasn't annoying. These guys can work miracles!

Yet another brilliant episode. It's gonna be a long wait til jan 15th. The preview looked awesome.

January 15?! :horror Are they on hiatus until then? Kinda like the big hiatus for Battlestar Galactica? :confused:

Sick Boy 82
11-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Lana looked so ^^^^ing HOT in that black dress!! GODDAMN!!!!

Yeah, the hiatus til the middle of January kinda sucks!!

Dude, what?? BSG has been gone for like 6+ months! This is 2 months! We can take it.

Just think that BSG will be back the very next day though!!!!

Darklord Dave
11-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Everyone is being treated like an adult - which is so much more interesting than the teen angsty thing. Lana was very adult and kicking ass!

Doomsday looked good - keep him in the shadows and mysterious. I'm SO glad they didn't do the Cloverfield thing through the entire episode.

And did I not say that the first time we'd see Doomsday get spikey would be right before hiatus?

Who gets married in a barn? Man, those budget cuts must have been brutal!

The Legion in the teaser looked great! You can tell immediately who they are but the outfits aren't cheesy and look like they could be just modern street clothes.

JediMike71
11-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Yeah, BSG has been gone a long time. Two more months before the 2nd half of the last season...season 4 comes on. Yeah, it's cool it'll show the day after Smallville comes back. I wish they'd make the "Legion" outfits more authentic. I'm really tired of the "cool, and hip" or whatever mostly leather understated outfits. :rolleyes: They don't need to wear bright NEON colored outfits, but c'mon. I like what they did with Green Arrow, Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg. You've gotta have something familiar in the outfit/costume for people to say "oh yeah, I know who that is". Know what I mean?

Krypto
11-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Yet another great episode. Very happy they didn't reveal much of Doomsday. The wait til January will be...difficult.

nash
11-21-2008, 05:35 AM
NBA...HAHAHAHAHAH!! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I would hate the NBA too if I lived in Minnesota with a piece of ^^^^ team like the timberwolves. :lol:lol:lol:lol

nash
11-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Kristen looks so ^^^^ing hot!! Love her new hair and look, just makes her look so much more sultry and not like the girl next door any more.

This season is really flowing together very well. The episodes don't feel choppy like most of the previous seasons.

One question, what the hell is the reason for hiatus any way? Sucks that we have to wait so long for the season to resume again.

Darth Loki
11-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Kristen looks so ^^^^ing hot!! Love her new hair and look, just makes her look so much more sultry and not like the girl next door any more.

This season is really flowing together very well. The episodes don't feel choppy like most of the previous seasons.

One question, what the hell is the reason for hiatus any way? Sucks that we have to wait so long for the season to resume again.

Completely agree with the flow of this season. It seems much more natural where the last couple years seemed forced.

A lot of shows take big breaks during the holidays due to so many people traveling and such. As far as I can remember it's pretty routine.

Great episode and a great way to leave us hanging. ^^^^ers :emperor

Hulksmashed
11-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I wish they'd make the "Legion" outfits more authentic. I'm really tired of the "cool, and hip" or whatever mostly leather understated outfits. :rolleyes: They don't need to wear bright NEON colored outfits, but c'mon. I like what they did with Green Arrow, Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg. You've gotta have something familiar in the outfit/costume for people to say "oh yeah, I know who that is". Know what I mean?

I don't think we can make the assumption that the outfits are not "more authentic". We don't know when in the episode that clip came from. If the Legion travels back in time they wouldnt be stupid enough to wear future clothes the whole time they are in the past. They would want to blend in...so maybe they dressed for the occasion before traveling, or clark set them up with clothes like he did Kara.

From what Geoff Johns said in his interview the legion looks pretty "authentic" with flight rings and everything. So you might be happy anyway.

The first time you saw aquaman, flash and cyborg they werent all decked out in thier super hero uniforms either.

Hulksmashed
11-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Also, i picked up on Lightening lad, and Saturn Girl. Who was the third guy in the back? Was that supposed to be Brainy?

The villian I assume is Terrax?

Lastly, does anyone else see the introduction of The Legion and flight rings, as the perfect oppurtunity for Clark to finally fly? I can just imagine Clark asking for a flight ring and the Legion making fun of him until he flys on his own. I mean...its probably the last season...there is no reason to keep him grounded at this point.

Darklord Dave
11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
The only shot of the Legion had Cosmic Boy in front with Saturn Girl next to him and Lightning Lad in the back with the red hair.

Every show takes a break from Thankgiving until the 2nd week of Jan. The industry perceives that people don't watch television during the holidays. The last day of November sweeps is the Wed. before Thanksgiving. They then come back in January to get rolling again in preperation for February sweeps.

One more thing - that last shot of Doomsday and Chloe - carrying her over the threshold of the fortress and laying her down on her bridal "bed" - and weren't her eyes black? A great and ironic spin on the "newlywed" idea. Also a bit twisted if you think that Doomsday and Brainiac are about to get it on.

Krypto
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Also, i picked up on Lightening lad, and Saturn Girl. Who was the third guy in the back? Was that supposed to be Brainy?

The Legion when Smallville returns will consist of Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Cosmic Boy.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/smallville8/legion-actors.jpg

Lastly, does anyone else see the introduction of The Legion and flight rings, as the perfect oppurtunity for Clark to finally fly? I can just imagine Clark asking for a flight ring and the Legion making fun of him until he flys on his own. I mean...its probably the last season...there is no reason to keep him grounded at this point.

I sincerely hope so.

Krypto
11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Oh yeah...so I guess Lex is coming back at some point. I haven't read anything about Rosenbaum returning, but I certainly hope he returns for an episode or two.

Hulksmashed
11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
The only shot of the Legion had Cosmic Boy in front with Saturn Girl next to him and Lightning Lad in the back with the red hair.

Cosmic boy! Oh man forgot all about him. Then they did pretty good casting!

Hulksmashed
11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
So a few things I wonder about from last nights show:

Who texted Lana asking if "The archer believed her story"

and

Was that supposed to be Lex attached to all those wires at the end of the episode?

Krypto
11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I think the answer to both of your questions is undeniably "Lex". ;)

Darth Caedus
11-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Yep, I read some spoilers for the rest of teh season concerning Lana and it is lex. If you want to know what happens the next couple of episodes I can post it in spoiler

Natrix
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Terrax is Marvel not DC.

Darth Caedus
11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Terrax is Marvel not DC.

Member of the Fatal Five ????

If Emerald Empress starts running around with an Eye I will laugh my ass off.

The Mike
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Terrax is Marvel not DC.

Are you referring to Imperiex?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Supes153.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/ImperiexLOSH1.png

Darth Caedus
11-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Are you referring to Imperiex?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Supes153.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/ImperiexLOSH1.png

That's what I was thinking he meant as well. Only one I could think of that could be on the show

Darklord Dave
11-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Considering the Brainiac connection, I'd imagine that's the reason they come to see Clark. Brainiac causes something in the present that effects Superman's future and the Legion comes to set it right.

Hulksmashed
11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Are you referring to Imperiex

Sorry...no its "Persuader" part of the fatal 5 that carries a mystical ax or something. I was thinking ax...and put Terrax. Whoops.:D

http://spider-bob.com/teams/dc/images/FatalFive01.jpg

Dude with the big Ax.

Luis138
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Yep, I read some spoilers for the rest of teh season concerning Lana and it is lex. If you want to know what happens the next couple of episodes I can post it in spoiler

Yes, post it please.

Luis

Darth Caedus
11-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes, post it please.

Luis

Check your PMs.

JediMike71
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Please PM me the spoiler stuff about Lana and Lex. I'd like to see it. Thanks! :D

Luis138
11-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Check your PMs.

Thank you so much. I can't wait for those episodes. They sound great.

Luis

Saya
11-27-2008, 09:14 PM
This season has revived the series for me. DoomsDay! awsome, finally a very scary villan. Im loven this season! If they keep it up I won't want the series to end this year and thats what I heard what was happening.

JediMike71
12-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Check your PMs.

I checked my PM inbox. I haven't got the spoiler stuff from you yet Darth. Please send it to me when you can in a PM. Thanks!

nash
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Heroes is starting to blow...I want more Smallivlle!!

LChinoz
12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Heroes is starting to blow...I want more Smallivlle!!

Never got into it. Always been a fan of Smallville though.

The Mike
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kV_RE_ktg_c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kV_RE_ktg_c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darth Caedus
12-17-2008, 05:16 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cS3BE5cAmUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cS3BE5cAmUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JediMike71
12-18-2008, 11:03 PM
WOW! January 15th can't get here fast enough!

"I'm the red/blue blur"! :horror

Yeah, Superman is a MUCH better name than that. :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to Smallville coming back. :D

Aerosmith
01-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Anyone else hear that Tom Welling has signed on for a 9th Season?

Natrix
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Anyone else hear that Tom Welling has signed on for a 9th Season?

I read that on another board but haven't found anything confirming it anywhere.

Just found this tidbit on Entertainment Weekly from 1/6/09:

Question: Any news as to whether Tom Welling has signed on for another season of Smallville? -- Scarlett
Ausiello: Yes, there's news, and it's good. Some would even call it, ahem, super. According to a well-placed Smallville insider, Welling is nearing a deal to return for a ninth season. I'm told they're just ironing out some minor deal points, such as should the Brinks Truck pull into the actor's driveway, or just unload on the street.

Which would be fantastic news after the way this season has been progressing nicely.

Chapter 2099
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Which would be fantastic news after the way this season has been progressing nicely.

I couldn't agree more. This season of Smallville has brought a lot of life back into the show. After last season, I thought Season 8 would be an appropriate end for Smallville, but now I can't get enough of it! I'm all for a Season 9! :rock

JediMike71
01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
"Some would even call it, ahem "Super"? Hmmm....Has Welling finally caved in to wearing the suit? :confused: I hope so. I also hope the suit is faithful to the original look, or at least the updated look shown in Superman Returns. Still red and blue, but with some updated features. NO BLACK SUPERMAN OUTFIT! :mad: I can't STAND that goofy look for him after his death in Superman #75 in the comics. Long hair and a black suit IS NOT Superman to me.

Natrix
01-07-2009, 09:50 PM
"Some would even call it, ahem "Super"? Hmmm....Has Welling finally caved in to wearing the suit? :confused: I hope so. I also hope the suit is faithful to the original look, or at least the updated look shown in Superman Returns. Still red and blue, but with some updated features. NO BLACK SUPERMAN OUTFIT! :mad: I can't STAND that goofy look for him after his death in Superman #75 in the comics. Long hair and a black suit IS NOT Superman to me.

You are reading way too much into that statement. The guy is just saying the news is "super" as a play on the Superman name, nothing more.

Darth Caedus
01-07-2009, 10:30 PM

If he were to wear a suit, for the Smallville Mythos, I really haven't seen the S logo in a lot of places (unless I forgot where). Plus, don't think they had Kryptonian clothes with him in his ship. Don't know where he would get his suit; they can't go with his AURA protecting his suit because his clothes have been burnt off before........

Darklord Dave
01-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Yea, the "S" has been everywhere. Kara's bracelet, a couple of devices and it's very much like the symbol that was burned into his chest as red Kal. I think we've even been told what that symbol means (hope? truth?) something like that.

And the Metropolis police badge has the shield shape as well.

I would have said that this season should be the Super swan song - but if they can keep the creative team intact - I'm all for Season 9. However I think the reason this season has been so great is that they're actually moving forward with the mythos in a big way - the costume, the secret identity, the relationship with Lois. As if they're planning on this being the last season. If they have to slow down, the show could suffer.

The Mike
01-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Its a double edged sword right now because the reason the show has been good so far is because they took the whole "Let's go out with a bang" mentality and went for it. That led to renewed interest and fandom and so the network wants to hold onto that but if they do continue forward the natural progression is for him to assume the mantle, if that doesn't happen it'll sabotage the show....its a no win right now unless the writers can think of a creative reason to continue the show....Superman: Birthright gave a notable excuse of Clark going abroad to really get in touch with himself and powers in a place that no one would really know him but I don't think that'll translate well in this medium.

Hulksmashed
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree that the greatest part of this season is the momentum of a "going out with a bang" attitude. One thing I can say about a 9th season is that the seal into the DCU has been broken so much so that the momentum may not have to end.

In previous seasons (while they did bring in a few other supers) they very much tried to portray the isolated Clark Kent sans the Superman identity. After a while it was difficult to bring new depths to the show while keeping it in a small world or small ville if you will :cool:. Now that they have opened the flood gates to the greater DCU, it might be possible to find new momentum in season 9!

Darklord Dave
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
You have a point about opening it up to the rest of the DCU. Season 9 could have Bruce as a regular along with Ollie, and Clark and Ollie set an example for Bruce through the course of the season and give him direction.

I guess it depends on where the arc takes them for the rest of this season. If they had planned on ending it with the suit and assumption of the mantle - and they have to now backtrack because of a 9th seasion - I think it can only hurt the show.

UTtoyfan
01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Just a little bump in anticipation of the new episode tonight!!! Cant' wait!

Sick Boy 82
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, can't wait for the new ep tonight!!!!

Giant Chicken
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
So the show is still fun and exciting?!!

I gave up 1/2 through season five. I wouldn't mind getting back into it but it seems crazy that there are 8 seasons now...

I cant imagine the show without Lana and Lex... just dosnt seem right.

Hulksmashed
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
So the show is still fun and exciting?!!

I cant imagine the show without Lana and Lex... just dosnt seem right.

The show is fun and exciting AGAIN this season. It took a break from being good....last season especially.

Lex and Lana being gone is really the catalyst for being awesome. They made the show pretty stale.

Tonights episode.....SWEEEET. Loved the legion, loved persuader! Geoff Johns is the man! Only thing I wasn't 100% thrilled about was the look of the character in the last scene. I understand why and what....just skeptical about the appearance.

UTtoyfan
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Great episode tonight. Can't wait for the rest of the season!

Jair
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Best episode of the season and thats saying a lot, this really has been a turnaround from the last few seasons. I don't have any problem with Smallville not being true to the comics but the last few seasons have dragged a bit here and there but this season has been a revelation compared to the previous ones.

Geoff Johns did a really good job of adding the legion in there without making it hokey, they had some really good inside jokes and I think all three played the legion characters really well. Lana hasn't even annoyed me yet so something must be good.

Wish DC would make those legion flight rings again :chew

Evan

Darth Caedus
01-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Yep, I loved the Legion, very well done episode. The second half of the season is off to a great start.

So, so chloe has all her memories back, even the ones jor-el erased right?

Darklord Dave
01-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Frack on a cracker!

I got a new Tivo and didn't realize I needed to activate it - been working a week and decides tonight that it won't work without activation. So I missed Smallville.:mad:

Anyone know how long you have to wait before Amazon has it for download?

Jair
01-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Yep, I loved the Legion, very well done episode. The second half of the season is off to a great start.

So, so chloe has all her memories back, even the ones jor-el erased right?

Yes Sir looks like she remembers it all now

Not sure Dave, usually a week or so, doesn't the CW have internet episodes for smallville?

was also interesting that in the future there was no mention of chloe, so either they are following comic book lore on that one...or I dunno she changes her name

Evan