X-Men: First Class

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
xmenfirstclassbu4.jpg

Fox Opening Registration for X-Men: First Class?
Source: D.Mac
July 28, 2008

An interesting listing at Production Weekly caught our eye - "X-Men: First Class." Could 20th Century Fox be developing a movie based on the series written by Jeff Parker and pencilled by Roger Cruz? Or are they using the title of that comic for their proposed Young X-Men spin-off?

What makes it even more interesting is that X-MenFirstClass.com redirects to FoxMovies.com.

The "X-Men: First Class" was an eight-issue mini-series published from September of 2006 through April of 2007. As Special was also released in May of 2007 followed by a monthly series that started in 2007 with the same creative team. The comic is described as follows:

For millions of years, mankind's place on Earth was unchallenged – until five young people paved the way for a new kind of human. While students at the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast and Iceman taught the world what it meant to be X-Men. These are the hidden stories of the team that laid the foundation of a mutant dynasty!

We'll have to wait and see if official news on this hits.

The interesting thing is that this one was of the rumors for the "Origins" trilogy.....X3 connected Beast as a former member of the X-Men but Angel was made young and not an official member....should be interesting to see how they handle that continuity flub if this goes forward.

X-Men: First Class To Film In 2010

It would appear that Fox’s latest assault on The Franchise That Singer Built is set to start production in a scant few months, at least according to Tim Pocock (aka - one of the many things wrong with X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

You might remember Pocock as the young Scott Summers in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. You know, the actor in his 20s playing the high school-age version of a character that would have been in elementary school when the Three Mile Island incident occurred. It’s Ok if you forgot him though, he wasn’t particularly great in the part anyway.

firstclass.jpg

Well, he’s going to be back for X-Men: First Class. Soon.

Producer Lauren Schuler Donner has been playing coy about what’s next on on Fox’s X-Men slate, saying recently "I think there are some wonderful storylines I’d like to pursue in X-Men 4 and 5, but who knows? Obviously, Fox is my partner, so we’re in discussions about what will be next." However, this didn’t stop Pocock from telling his whopping 90 Twitter followers that he’s "currently shooting Australian TV series till February 2010…then X-men first class ;)"

Alright, the cast for the next X-Men movie, so far, is…the version of Cyclops from the X-Men movie people liked even less than X3. Awesome.

Hey, at least the script is from Josh Schwartz, the guy who created Chuck. Oh, and The O.C. and Gossip Girl. Wonderful.

I really hope those rumors that Bryan Singer might come back and direct this turn out to be true. This ship needs a ^^^^ing captain again.

Ugh. Such great potential with this franchise, but it all went wrong when Singer left. Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but that kid did not scream "Cyclops" at all to me. Yeah, he was skinny and white with brown hair, but no potential leader vibes at all that I saw.

In the comic, Scott took over pretty early when Prof. went off after Lucifer, and so he always had that characteristic of being capable of leading, and of a willingness to accept the responsibilities involved in doing that. I just don't see this kid pulling that off.

Iceman is too young to be in the first class too. They'll probably give us two other people to replace Angel and Iceman.

Hey, at least the script is from Josh Schwartz, the guy who created Chuck. Oh, and The O.C. and Gossip Girl. Wonderful.

All three series with snappy dialogue, intriguing, flawed characters and some very cool plot twists. Much, much better than the man who killed Superman.

I actually like reading this series but will wait for the movie to come out before I give any judgment.

Mike, your new sig is hilarious, but not mesmerizing like those in the past.

what's the score with the x-men licence can't marvel take it off fox and do things properly in their own studio?

Interesting News:

James McAvoy will step into Patrick Stewart's iconic shoes as a young Professor X in "X-Men: First Class," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Patrick played the role of the X-Men's telepathic, wheelchair-bound mentor in the three previous "X-Men" films and had a brief cameo in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

"First Class," directed by Matthew Vaughn, will follow the mutant superhero team during their early years. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the story will include a look at Professor X's youthful friendship with Erik Lensherr -- later the villainous Magneto -- before the two became arch-rivals. Whether or not James will lose his full head of hair to play the bald psychic was not reported.

The film is scheduled for a June 3, 2011, theatrical release.

Some people think Aaron Johnson may be in this as well.. there's a pic of him at lunch or something recently with James McAvoy and Matthew Vaughn.

I could see Aaron Johnson pulling off Cyclops especially at the age he'd have to be considering that McAvoy is Professor X.

So if will be more like X-Babies? With McAvoy as Xavier, none of the regular X-Men would have been born yet.

I have a feeling this film will just be about Pro X and Magneto... and whomever else was around when they were younger? Who does that include? Moira or something? :lol

They'll just take a few other characters and put them in that era like they have before.

I agree with Memnoch, this isn't sounding like its going to be that great. It's maybe slightly better than a solo Magneto movie.

The more I hear about it, the more I just go ugh. Reboot the damn series with age appropriate actors - or even CGI'ed Stewart and McKellen. Add in Moira, make the first class consist of Angel, Iceman, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Toad, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Mastermind. Have conflict between the two groups in the first film, and have them separate. Then at least you have the REAL first X-Men team and the REAL first Brotherhood. You can also then play out the family drama of Magneto and his kids, the romantic relationship between Charles and Moira to the point where she leaves him. It COULD be great - but wait, this is Hollywood - it's gonna suck.

So if will be more like X-Babies? With McAvoy as Xavier, none of the regular X-Men would have been born yet.

Actually of you _____ing aren't up on your comic histories. Xavier is a genius, graduates from Harvard at 16, spends two years in Oxford and then gets drafted into the Korean War. That would place him 18 at 1950 the earliest he'd be able to be drafted into the Korean War. X-Men 1 was in 1963 which you add only 13 years to the age of Xavier. That would put him at 31 when he first forms the X-Men. McAvoy is 31 right now. What the ____ are all of you _____ing about?

Not to mention that Cyke, Jean, Hank were mentioned at being between the ages of 15-17 when they first joined the X-Men. What exactly did you want to see concerning First Class?

But this isnt the comics. The prequel films are clearly taking place in the same universe as the original movies. Xavier is obviously much older by 10 years than his first class of students students. He looks like he is in his 70s. He was already going into his middle ages when he met Jean in X3, and she was a child then. And considering that Cyke, Jean, and Beast are in thier late 30s at the apsolute oldest, that would put them graduating Highschool in the late 80s, meaning he would have been almost if not already 50 when he formed the X-men.

Back