Cowboy Bebop: The Cinematic Adventure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
cowboy-bebop.jpg

Fans of Cowboy Bebop, begin writing your suicide pact: Fox is developing a live-action film version of your favorite bounty hunting space anime. From iF Magazine:

We caught up with producer-extraordinaire Erwin Stoff at the NBC TCAs where he was promoting his upcoming updated-David-and-Goliath-based show KINGS. When asked about other projects he is currently working on, Stoff, let slip some very juicy news about a very beloved anime franchise.

“I’m developing COWBOY BEBOP for Fox, but doing it as a live-action film, so I’m working on that at the moment,” Stoff tells iF. “I’m really excited to be working on it, and it’s in the really early stages. We just signed it the other day.”

“I have such an enormous admiration for its creators, that our first and foremost concern is going to be a real degree of faithfulness to the tone of the movie, to the mix of genres, and so on and so forth,” he says. “When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A SCANNER DARKLY, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here.”

Miserable about the idea of watching Josh Hartnett (probably) run around in a mop of a wig, bastardizing the show you keep trying to get your less-nerdy friends to watch? Don't be! ...Yet. Wait until it's released, then criticize the ^^^^ out of it:

For those skeptical about the casting possibilities, Stoff has the following to say: “Flak about choices is meaningless until people see the movie," he notes. "When people see the movie, then criticism has a place in it.”

Fine, I'll reserve my judgment. But until then, I'll be working on preparing witty criticisms, so watch out. Cowboy Bebop? More like Cowboy Bull^^^^! (Like I said, I'm still working on these.)

Wonder if they'll get an A Lister to play Faye?

78582.jpg

One of my favorite anime and how can it be as bad as the guyver movie.

I imagine that this should be like Serenity, wonder whio they get tto play Ed?

haha see my response in the Rocky Horror thread. Similar reaction because I LOVE CB and is what got me into anime. So in summation, curious but sick at what COULD be.

If they're going to stay as close as possible to the Anime, then why do a live action movie in the first place???! :banghead:
What more do we get out of it if it's live action? Do they think they could do a better job telling the story?
Why waste the money retelling the same thing?

Just plain F^^^ed up.
I wish Hollywood would make more original movies instead of raping other sources for new ideas.

Last edited:
reeves-keanu-photo-xl-keanu-reeves-6212385.jpg
spike-spiegel-thumb.jpg

Keanu Reeves to Do the Bebop (Maybe)
Posted at 11:03 AM Jul 31, 2008

A few weeks ago, the news that a live-action movie of the hit anime series Cowboy Bebop set nerd hearts a-tizzy, despite the fact in it's only in development and hasn't been greenlit and thus its chances of actually coming to fruition are only abut 20% at best. First Showing has some Bebop movie rumors of note: one, that Fox is fast-tracking the film for a 2010 (unlikely, but possible); two, that is has a huge budget (I don't believe this for a second); and third, that Keanu Reeves has been attached to play Spike Spiegel for months.

I was ready to go off on a huge rant about what a terrible thing this would be, but the more I think about, the more I actually don't mind. Spike's a lanky, quiet guy, which falls in Keanu's limited range. Admittedly, Spike's also sly and hints at a broad range of experiences and emotions underneath his aloof exterior, which isn't exactly Reeves' forte, but still. Basically, I assumed Hollywood would have cast someone ridiculous like Nic Cage, so while I may not be thrilled to the core of my being, I can deal with Keanu. Also, I really don't think the movie's going to happen, especially after Dragonball tanks and everyone in Hollywood assumes that it's anime's fault.

Keanu as Spike? Strangely, I can kinda picture it. He fits the look and personality. But the rest of this production has a lot going against it. The chance that Hollywood is going to treat this material respectfully and intelligently is slim.

I have to agree with ScreamingMetal, but what's the point? So much of the charm came from the show being an animated series. I think two of these things don't translate well to being a live-action film! The action works great as it was originally done, and I hate the idea that something as involved and complex as Bebop or Evangelion will work as a 2 hour popcorn fest. Just do a different story altogether, and come up with original ideas.

I also think that Firefly was a close enough approximation to live-action Bebop, but I'd rather see more Firefly/Serenity than some hackneyed attempt at live-action Spike, Jet and Faye!

I can see this being messed up or OK. I can't see this being a great adaptation at all. I do like Keanu as Spike, he does fit it.

But the real question is, WHO WILL PLAY EIN????!!!!

Actually it might not, Keanu is a big ticket draw than anyone in DB and his paycheck alone would ensure a little more TLC than DB which is really just being thrown together as they go.

Actually it might not, Keanu is a big ticket draw than anyone in DB and his paycheck alone would ensure a little more TLC than DB which is really just being thrown together as they go.

i hope your right and i hope this movie Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope they let Yoko do the music to!

didn't cartoon network whore this out enough? and Neanu as spike? PLEASE tell me thats not true! god this is gonna suck if it gets made

Back