PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Bebop: The Cinematic Adventure

The Mike
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/07/24/cowboy-bebop.jpg

Fans of Cowboy Bebop, begin writing your suicide pact: Fox is developing a live-action film version of your favorite bounty hunting space anime. From iF Magazine:

We caught up with producer-extraordinaire Erwin Stoff at the NBC TCAs where he was promoting his upcoming updated-David-and-Goliath-based show KINGS. When asked about other projects he is currently working on, Stoff, let slip some very juicy news about a very beloved anime franchise.

“I’m developing COWBOY BEBOP for Fox, but doing it as a live-action film, so I’m working on that at the moment,” Stoff tells iF. “I’m really excited to be working on it, and it’s in the really early stages. We just signed it the other day.”

“I have such an enormous admiration for its creators, that our first and foremost concern is going to be a real degree of faithfulness to the tone of the movie, to the mix of genres, and so on and so forth,” he says. “When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A SCANNER DARKLY, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. ****, and that was our big concern here.”

Miserable about the idea of watching Josh Hartnett (probably) run around in a mop of a wig, bastardizing the show you keep trying to get your less-nerdy friends to watch? Don't be! ...Yet. Wait until it's released, then criticize the ^^^^ out of it:

For those skeptical about the casting possibilities, Stoff has the following to say: “Flak about choices is meaningless until people see the movie," he notes. "When people see the movie, then criticism has a place in it.”

Fine, I'll reserve my judgment. But until then, I'll be working on preparing witty criticisms, so watch out. Cowboy Bebop? More like Cowboy Bull^^^^! (Like I said, I'm still working on these.)

Wonder if they'll get an A Lister to play Faye?

http://images.minitokyo.net:8001/view/78582.jpg

Rogue Trooper
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
One of my favorite anime and how can it be as bad as the guyver movie.

I imagine that this should be like Serenity, wonder whio they get tto play Ed?

Memnoch
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
haha see my response in the Rocky Horror thread. Similar reaction because I LOVE CB and is what got me into anime. So in summation, curious but sick at what COULD be.

screamingmetal
07-25-2008, 10:58 AM
If they're going to stay as close as possible to the Anime, then why do a live action movie in the first place???! :banghead:
What more do we get out of it if it's live action? Do they think they could do a better job telling the story?
Why waste the money retelling the same thing?

Just plain F^^^ed up.
I wish Hollywood would make more original movies instead of raping other sources for new ideas.

plasmid303
07-25-2008, 11:57 AM
time to hang myself.

barryo
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
........:slap..........:banghead

Ven
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

how does my childhood get raped!?!??! I'm only 17!!!

The Mike
08-04-2008, 01:39 PM
http://www.toplessrobot.com/reeves-keanu-photo-xl-keanu-reeves-6212385.jpghttp://www.toplessrobot.com/spike-spiegel-thumb.jpg

Keanu Reeves to Do the Bebop (Maybe)
Posted at 11:03 AM Jul 31, 2008

A few weeks ago, the news that a live-action movie of the hit anime series Cowboy Bebop set nerd hearts a-tizzy, despite the fact in it's only in development and hasn't been greenlit and thus its chances of actually coming to fruition are only abut 20% at best. First Showing has some Bebop movie rumors of note: one, that Fox is fast-tracking the film for a 2010 (unlikely, but possible); two, that is has a huge budget (I don't believe this for a second); and third, that Keanu Reeves has been attached to play Spike Spiegel for months.

I was ready to go off on a huge rant about what a terrible thing this would be, but the more I think about, the more I actually don't mind. Spike's a lanky, quiet guy, which falls in Keanu's limited range. Admittedly, Spike's also sly and hints at a broad range of experiences and emotions underneath his aloof exterior, which isn't exactly Reeves' forte, but still. Basically, I assumed Hollywood would have cast someone ridiculous like Nic Cage, so while I may not be thrilled to the core of my being, I can deal with Keanu. Also, I really don't think the movie's going to happen, especially after Dragonball tanks and everyone in Hollywood assumes that it's anime's fault.

plasmid303
08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Keanu as Spike? Strangely, I can kinda picture it. He fits the look and personality. But the rest of this production has a lot going against it. The chance that Hollywood is going to treat this material respectfully and intelligently is slim.

Seaward
08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I have to agree with ScreamingMetal, but what's the point? So much of the charm came from the show being an animated series. I think two of these things don't translate well to being a live-action film! The action works great as it was originally done, and I hate the idea that something as involved and complex as Bebop or Evangelion will work as a 2 hour popcorn fest. Just do a different story altogether, and come up with original ideas.

I also think that Firefly was a close enough approximation to live-action Bebop, but I'd rather see more Firefly/Serenity than some hackneyed attempt at live-action Spike, Jet and Faye!

Sick Boy 82
08-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I can see this being messed up or OK. I can't see this being a great adaptation at all. I do like Keanu as Spike, he does fit it.

But the real question is, WHO WILL PLAY EIN????!!!!

Ven
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
surprisingly kenu would work nice as spike..

papa-alpha-charlie
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Wonder if they'll get an A Lister to play Faye?

whoever they get to play Faye better have a huge rack.:)

p!tu
08-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I love this series!!!!!!! I have a feeling its going to be another Dragonball!!!!!!:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

The Mike
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Actually it might not, Keanu is a big ticket draw than anyone in DB and his paycheck alone would ensure a little more TLC than DB which is really just being thrown together as they go.

p!tu
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Actually it might not, Keanu is a big ticket draw than anyone in DB and his paycheck alone would ensure a little more TLC than DB which is really just being thrown together as they go.

i hope your right and i hope this movie Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope they let Yoko do the music to!

P1X4R
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM
this guy would make a perfect Spike! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POm4GM0fAUI

artistrex
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
didn't cartoon network whore this out enough? and Neanu as spike? PLEASE tell me thats not true! god this is gonna suck if it gets made

P1X4R
08-04-2008, 07:54 PM
i hope Pikachu makes a cameo appearance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHk52RvpOLw

RJMacReady16
08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
10 years ago Kris Kristofferson would've been great as the resident cyborg.

He's gettin' pretty old now, though...

screamingmetal
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Keanu looks like Spike, but I've never see him play a character that's as laid back and effortless as Spike.

I just recently watched the first ep. of Cowboy Bebop again, simple brilliance. No way in HELL are they ever going to match how great the show was.

Seaward, I agree that Firefly/Serenity was a good approximation of a live action Bebop, but no where near as good. Bebop is the best Sci-Fi Western ever!

Shropt
08-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Why god, why?!?!?

Batty
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Some updated news (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4b7a99706a1f6a077ed21921bf2d43fd). I hate the idea of Reeves playing Spike.

The Ween
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Keanu looks exceptionally weird in the pic in that article, Batty. :lol

karamazov80
01-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't like anime much, but I do like the Bebop (as much for the great jazz soundtrack as anything). And I echo the thoughts of a few previous posters in that. . .I think Keanu could actually be OK as Spike. The cartoon is what it is, and nothing that gets made from here on can take that away. If they make a decent movie out of it, great! If it ^^^^s, so what? Just ignore it. (that word is censored?)

As for Jet, I think in an ideal world, we would get James Caan. Faye should be played by any good looking, slightly annoying chick, and Ed should not be in the movie at all.

Keanu looks like Spike, but I've never see him play a character that's as laid back and effortless as Spike.
Ted (minus some of the stupidity, obviously)?

screamingmetal
01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Ted (minus some of the stupidity, obviously)?

A smart Ted still wouldn't have the confidence or the cool attitude. Maybe a little more like his Point Break character but with a sharper wit and calmer demeanor. But Keanu can look the part I think.

Shropt
01-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't care. Cowboy Bebop is damn near perfect.

How about they spend the money on a commercial campaign to get people to watch the series?

Or air the series during primetime after 24?

Anything but release a live-action film. By god ANYTHING!

The Mike
06-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought this film was dead in the water....

Article by GuardianOfChaos
'Cowboy Bebop' Screenwriter Speaks
The Cowboy Bebop live action film has been in development for a little while now. Most of the details have been kept on the down lo, but recently Anime Vice got a hold of writer Peter Craig to get a bit of details. Craig hasn’t done any sci-fi screenplays yet, but the producers seemed to believe that he would have a firm grasping on the characters. So they sent him all of the series to watch and he, like many of us, fell in love with the Bebop crew.

When asked if Sunrise studio, the original team behind Cowboy Bebop, were involved, Craig stated that they have been keeping in close touch. They had dinner in Tokyo along with Keanu Reeves to all talk about the film and the intended vision for the picture. Craig is close to finishing an early draft and will soon be submitting it to get input.

I for one am very eager, for I feel this is one of the few anime that can be adapted pretty well to a live action feel. Hopefully they just try and do an original story that takes place in the middle of the series instead of trying to fill out origin stories.

DeltaForceChung
06-29-2009, 12:32 PM
WOW . . .

I guess HELL did freeze over.

I an opened minded person to an extent.

Cowboy Bebop IMHO was never intended for live action.

Some things just can't be left alone as is . . . SIGH. I'll revise my 2009 "dead pool" list. I'll be adding Keanu Reeves to it.

:mad:

plasmid303
06-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, it calms me to know that Sunrise studio has a hand in the project, even if it's just in a supervisory capacity.

BillyBudd
06-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I look forward to seeing the film, in theaters if it receives good/mixed reviews or at home if it receives poor ones.