DC Direct 13" Absolute Sandman!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaphorge

Archbishop of Bologna!!!
Reaction score
Finally one of these things I will NOT be able to pass up, as it doesn't matter if it's freakishly tall:

THE SANDMAN (ABSOLUTE EDITION) 1:6 SCALE Deluxe Collector Figure

DC Direct's 1:6 scale deluxe collector figure line extends into story-specific characterizations with the addition of THE SANDMAN (ABSOLUTE EDITION). The Sandman is the first in a new line of 1:6 scale figures inspired by the Absolute Editions, and the first VERTIGO character to get the 1:6 scale figure treatment. Dressed in an intricate and authentically detailed costume, including a 4-panel tattered cloak, The Sandman comes with many character-specific accessories, including his ruby necklace, the Helm of Dreams, the Key to Hell, Goldie the Gargoyle, Matthew the Raven and a display stand. Packaged in a special slipcase to evoke the Absolute Editions that inspired it.

The Sandman (ABSOLUTE EDITION) 1:6 Scale Deluxe Collector Figure will be on sale March 18, 2009 and will retail for $125.

It would be nice if they also did Death, though I would hope they come up with a very short body for her....

Doesn't look like it's worth $125 to me.
$60 at the most, but definitely not $125.
I'd like to buy Death, but that'll depend on how she looks and the price.

So why exactly is DCD's 1:6 scale 13 inches instead of 12?
Comic characters often have small heads in comparison to the size of their bodies. The story is that Alex Ross suggested that, instead of making the heads small on normal-sized 1:6 bodies that DC Direct should sintead put normal-sized heads on huge bodies.

That's the public story, anyway. I suspect it's because God hates me and wants me to suffer (which is also the reason the Medicom figures are a bit on the small side, so that DC and Marvel heroes posed together in 1:6 will look ridiculous). ;)
Looks ok but holy crap is that the new price point for the 13'' DC Direct line?!
I think it is for the "absolute" figures,which are going to be more deluxe than the standard line in some way (probably fancy-schmancy packaging, ugh). The Watchmen Rorshach figure soliciting at the same time is $99.

It does seem to be a "deluxe" figure, but still I wouldn't pay that much. How big is Goldie the Gargoyle? I think he's around cat sized, and Matthew the Raven isn't to big either. And the helm is just a second head, I still don't see why this is so much.
Compare this to SSC's Indy who is a licensed character that SSC had to pay for (DC\DCD owns The Sandman), has a second head and even more gear and costume and is $35 cheaper.
DCD is just asking for too much I'm afraid.

Compare this to SSC's Indy who is a licensed character that SSC had to pay for (DC\DCD owns The Sandman), has a second head and even more gear and costume and is $35 cheaper.
DCD is just asking for too much I'm afraid.
Oh, I'm right with you on this being kind of a bad buy compared to what you can get elsewhere. I would not be getting it if the Sandman were not my all-time favorite comic by several miles, and I'm prepared to have to go the extra mile on customizing it to make it awesome.

I think it is for the "absolute" figures,which are going to be more deluxe than the standard line in some way (probably fancy-schmancy packaging, ugh). The Watchmen Rorshach figure soliciting at the same time is $99.

I see. Is this the only figure that's out in the "Absolute" line?

From what I read, yes. It's apparently an attempt to tie it in to DC's Absolute range of terrifyingly expensive hardcover graphic novels.

No kidding. I'm all for the recoloring and bonus materials, but the leather-bound book AND a slipcase just adds to the prohibitive expense...multiplied by 4.

I do like the figure though.

GREAT FIGURE..ONE OF MY FAVORITE READ:

the_sandman_vol_4_season_of_mist.jpg

Sandman is my absolute favorite comic, and Neil Gaiman is far and away my favorite writer. I have everything he's written signed by him, and did a few charity functions for the CBLDF with him. Sandman ubernerd here, but the figure looks a little on the plain side, and the price point has me totally staying away, even with a generous discount from my comic store.

I'm a huge Sandman fan, but the price is keeping me away too. The Helm of Dreams looks cool though.

It's an exciting license but a disappointing unveil.

VERY tempting as I love Sandman so much, but it just doesn't look like a $125 figure. That's nearly a Hot Toys price with slightly better than Hasbro quality.

Comic characters often have small heads in comparison to the size of their bodies. The story is that Alex Ross suggested that, instead of making the heads small on normal-sized 1:6 bodies that DC Direct should sintead put normal-sized heads on huge bodies.

That's the public story, anyway. I suspect it's because God hates me and wants me to suffer (which is also the reason the Medicom figures are a bit on the small side, so that DC and Marvel heroes posed together in 1:6 will look ridiculous). ;)

Thanks, man!

DC has slowly been creeping up the prices of there 1/6th or 13" figure line most figures now have an SRP of $99-$125 which is in line with SSC GI Joe Stuff and Medicom and Hot Toys..yet DC's quality is not up to par...but we have seen some increasing in orders as they make some of the "other" characters...
Joe

I'm the worlds biggest Sandman fan but the figure just doesn't do it. I'll probably end up getting it but the head sculpt just isn't there. And everyone else has already mentioned the price. It seems obvious to me that the figure or future figures should be based on one of the many artists depictions of Dream but theres no evidence they've even considered that.

As far as ABSOLUTE goes, the Absolute Editions may very well be themselves, but this figure is anything but absolute.

I keep hoping for a 1/4 scale version but if this is any indication of quality, maybe its better if that just remains a dream after all.

"As far as ABSOLUTE goes, the Absolute Editions may very well be themselves, but this figure is anything but absolute."

I ABSOLUTELY agree. It seems the idea is to get people who collect the "Absolute" editions to buy tie in action figures that come in packaging that mimics the slipcases the books are in. But it's hard to view the figures as being of comparable quality to the books as long as DCD insists on using the terrible body types designed for the thirteen inch line. Even if the fabric items are improved I don't think the figures will be well recieved. As usual I like the sculpted items, but..................
And on a purely commercial note, I wonder how many Sandman fans are AF/doll collectors anyway? From my experience not a big percentage, but that's purely anecdotal.

The Comedian is also an "ABSOLUTE" figure.

That said, I want that sandman, at a lot less than they're asking.

Back