Fable 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan Rex

Super Freak
Reaction score
The presentation began with the explanation of Hollywood actors showing up to Lionhead to rehearse the Fable 2 story aloud to made sure it passed a human ear test. Lionhead is going for a dramatic experience. The in game demo started about an hour into the story in Brightwood. When you look out and see the forest around you, you start to wonder if it's all explorable and in Fable 2 it is. On display today was combat and other miscellaneous bells and whistles.

Combat for a low level character unfortunately is nothing more than button mashing. You still have seamless switching between weapons but they're not as powerful. As you at the low level are able to string moves and even moves across weapon types your enemies drop orbs which account for experience. The more style you have, the bigger the corpse's of your dead enemies produce. I noticed two things in this opening sequence: Bowerstone Lake is beautiful and the fighting animations are liquid fluid.(Redundant)

However, there's much more to the world of Fable 2 besides just combat. In a surprising twist, you get no gold for completing quests. You can receive items from NPCs using an expression mini game where you have to properly time your expression along a meter. You can get hints for who to talk to or what expressions to use by mini icons that appear above NPC's heads such as a heart for love or a skull for fear. Or, you can actually get a legit or illegitimate job within the game. Of course there's a payoff in the choice. Work an honest job and make little money or become a henchmen and make an hourly wage. There are a variety of jobs in Fable 2 such as crook and assassin. You can also hold multiple jobs to be an honest blacksmith by day and use your own created swords to kill by night. There's also a full criminal system within the game where you can go to jail for your misdeeds.

You can also do some cool things in Fable 2 like teach your dog new tricks, literally. By walking into a book store within the game you can buy a book to teach your dog to do all sorts of new activities. You can also be married in a variety of ways and when you assess an NPC their sexual orientation is a primary state. Here's the kicker, say you have two wives in different towns and they find out and divorce you. It's a massive penalty just like in real life because you lose your home in those towns and half of all your possessions and cash. Look on the bright side though, there's no Fable 2 alimony.

In the final part of the demo we were taken back to the Hero's Academy which if you remember the end to Fable 1 was left in ruins. 500 years later, it still is. But the visuals of the academy and the world overall are second to none. The story appears very engaging and there's a ton of things to do within the world. Fable 2 will be out in October with the arcade games to make in game money out approximately 6 weeks prior to that which makes it August/September according to Peter.

See the game in action here
https://www.gamersyde.com/news_6824.html

Last edited:
This game looks AWESOME. I saw the trailer on E3 coverage on G4. I loved the first one, will definitely be picking this up. Online play looks very cool as well.

Lionhead says the main Quest is about 12 hrs give or take.
Sounds ok to me.
Since money isnt going to be falling out of the sky for your character its a great idea to buy the Albion pub games coming out next month.
The money and XP acquired in those games (or debt) transfers to your character when you play Fable 2 later.
Also any kids you have grow up over time, and dont forget youll be able to do co op quests with your friends characters.
Lionhead said that youll need to choose your friends wisely as there actions will reflect and reverb in your world/game.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this...still need to finish the first one....think I only have the final boss left. :)

The E3 Intro video is up on "LIVE".
Very cool how you invite friends to join.
These orbs float around Albion and they represent your friends who are currently playing the game...cool

- If you like, you can be as innocent and polite as a choir boy in Fable 2. Or you can be a little devil. And isn't it always more fun to be evil? Once you step down the path to the dark side, you'll find so many pleasures that were previously off limits. You can kill just about anybody you want, steal from unguarded cash registers and fart in anybody's general direction all you like. That's just child's play though. When we sat down with Peter Molyneux at this year's E3, we learned a few of the truly shady things you can do in Fable 2.

In the past, Molyneux has spoken about the need to have unprotected sex in order to get a girl pregnant in Fable 2. Of course, that implies that you can have protected sex. When asked about condoms in Fable 2, Molyneux confirmed that not only are they in the game, but they also protect against sexually transmitted diseases. There are unchaste women and men in the world that could potentially pass on something nasty to your character (Molyneux promised this wouldn't affect the gameplay too much).

Those pesky STD's make fooling around behind your husband or wife's back something to be done with care. But you can do it. If the action at home isn't enough, Molyneux promised us that, "we fully support adultery," in Fable 2. Cheat on your spouse all you like, just don't let them catch you or anything catch you and you're in the clear.

The thing about adultery, though, is that it can also happen to you. Ignore your spouse too much, or beat him or her or decide you don't want to provide for them, and you might be faced with a rocky home life. You might also see a shady character hanging about your place a bit much. If they're not feeling loved, they'll look for it elsewhere. If things get real bad, your spouse will ask for a divorce. But the whole divorce proceedings are just so messy. The ex will take half of what you've got in the game. Why not look for a way to avoid the whole ordeal? I asked Molyneux if it was cheaper to just kill them if you see the divorce coming. He jokingly replied that he thought that was true in real life as well.

These are all just virtual characters, so being mean to them isn't that big of a deal, is it? There are no moral quandaries with starving a virtual wife or killing a digital villager…right? Perhaps even the worst of us will find treating the Fable 2 inhabitants poorly once you take advantage one particular feature in Fable 2. You can rename any random character you meet in the game. If you want to recreate your real family in digital form, you can. Does cheating on a virtual wife that has the same name as your own make it worse? Maybe. Just don't let your real wife catch you virtually cheating on her.

Sex and murder is pretty dark, but it pales in comparison to the meanest thing you can do in the game. Grab a ball and take your dog for a walk through the forest. When you find a fence that sections off an area the dog can't get to, hold the ball out and make sure he gets a good look at it. Then throw it over the fence and laugh at the poor dog. He'll run back and forth along the fence, desperate to get his favorite toy that sits just out of reach. Xbox editor Ryan Geddes took particular pleasure in this dirty deed. What a jerk.

Only 12 hours? that's frakking pathetic. What happened to the days where RPGS were 40+ hours on the main quest alone, and took WEEKS to finish? We had 3-4 disc games at one point with Extensive gameplay, and we loved them, bring it back, you've got DVD's now for christs sake, make a game GOD AWFUL LONG, and give it some replay to boot.

Only 12 hours? that's frakking pathetic. What happened to the days where RPGS were 40+ hours on the main quest alone, and took WEEKS to finish? We had 3-4 disc games at one point with Extensive gameplay, and we loved them, bring it back, you've got DVD's now for christs sake, make a game GOD AWFUL LONG, and give it some replay to boot.

You might want to check out Oblivion if you haven't already. That game is nice and long and pretty damn good.

You might want to check out Oblivion if you haven't already. That game is nice and long and pretty damn good.

Yeah :cool: game.Is it possible to finish Oblivion as i completed the main story line early on but have done over 100 missions but it seems you can just wander the countryside always finding something else to do.:D

Oblivion is a great example of what next generation ARPG's COULD be. Bought it, beat it, downloaded the expansion, beat it. I just don't get this drive twords "shorter" games.
I want longer titles for my money damnit.

Official release date, October 21.

Preorder and get the pub games free which comes out on LIVE this Wednesday.

:cool: Some awesome games coming out with this and also GOW 2 and LOTR Conquest.Now if only i can get and keep my xbox working.:(

The pub games will also ship with the spec ed I believe.
You can acquire unique weapons and armour as well as gold playing the games.
But you can also get your character in debt as well.

With Fallout 3 releasing at the first of October and Gears 2 at the first of November I am hoping to squeeze this game in. What are the pub games I am behind in reading up on this game.

With Fallout 3 releasing at the first of October and Gears 2 at the first of November I am hoping to squeeze this game in. What are the pub games I am behind in reading up on this game.

A series of gambling games that you can play to build up gold for your character. But you can also acrew debt if you're not careful.

Back