• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Commerce Poll, Auction Style listings, yay ot Nay??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Auction Style listing be allowed in the Commerce section?

• I don't care I don't use the Commerce Section

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adoptedscot

You wish it, I dish it...
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

We need your help to determine some ground rules in the Commerce section, what poeple are happy with etc.

Recently we have had several threads appear with 'auction' style listings, do you thinks these appropriate for this forum? should be encouraged or avoided?

What are your opinions?Ultimately the decision is Dave's but if we have an idea what people want we can take it from there.

Please let us know so we can help maintain a positive atmosphere in Commerce. Help us, let us know what you think

Thanks all
shell
x :peace

Hi All,

We need your help to determine some ground rules in the Commerce section, what poeple are happy with etc.

Recently we have had several threads appear with 'auction' style listings, do you thinks these appropriate for this forum? should be encouraged or avoided?

What are your opinions?Ultimately the decision is Dave's but if we have an idea what people want we can take it from there.

Please let us know so we can help maintain a positive atmosphere in Commerce. Help us, let us know what you think

Thanks all
shell

Ebay style attempts in the commerce section are weak sauce. If you want to have an auction than pay ebay or someone else. IMO people should post prices clearly and or what they want in trade. Or any variation with offers welcome.

I like the commerce section because most people actually list stuff for cheaper than ebay prices. This is because they feel like they are part of the community and want to help their friends out. When someone comes on and trys to screw people over and list shady stuff with no prices it kinda is like a slap in the face.

Personally, I think if you want an auction, take it to Ebay. You should know what you want for a piece you're going to sell and just ask for that price.

If you want to know what a going rate on something is, start a non-sale thread about it.

What would be extremely helpful is something likethe toytracker sale database that seems to be no longer updated.

Lets leave the auctions on ebay where they belong.

why not make this thread an acutal poll so votes/percentages can be calculated?

Edit: nevermind, I guess you were doing that while I was typing the above.

I've already commented in the commerce section-- but bidding should be left to e-bay. The commerce section should be about collectors helping collectors and not about trying to rip people off-- which I'm afraid many people (both new and old:monkey2) are trying to do.

why not make this thread an acutal poll so votes/percentages can be calculated?

Edit: nevermind, I guess you were doing that while I was typing the above.

Yeah, sorry, was typing away....you guys are too fast for one finger typing :eek::lol
x

hmm... I'm not so good at math. Can someone explain what these results are telling me? :lol

As a buyer, I feel more comfortable dealing with someone who has a set price in mind, rather than go through an auction like process. If I wanted to get something this way, I would just go to eBay. Also, if you want to suggest offer a different price to someone, that is fine, I don't think I've ever encountered someone who has been insulted with this method!

Setting a price, high or low, is how I feel the commerce section should work, its more like a community rather than a place to make a larger return on something.

I think some people are becomming very greedy here...for example a couple weeks ago, I pm a guy here sellin something with '' a make offer '' thread.Once i made him my offer ,the guy told me back that he would wait to see '' if other people would offer him more for it''..I find that kind of commerce really unreasonnable,and I recently made myself an obligation to not deal with that kind of sellers here.Dont get me wrong,i'm all for making a good profit, but at least announce the price in your thread.If people start putting auctions type threads here, to get the maximum they can of the community here, I think Dark Lord Dave should charge a fee to commerce here.Ebay is already there.Announced your price or die...

I voted no, I like the commerce section just the way it is, Ebay being the last resort. Theres nothing wrong with that process.

Personally, I think if you want an auction, take it to Ebay. You should know what you want for a piece you're going to sell and just ask for that price.

If you want to know what a going rate on something is, start a non-sale thread about it.

I agree... either list the price or what you are looking for in trade. We can all go to ebay and check the past auctions to see what a fair price is so the seller should do the same.

I think some people are becomming very greedy here...for example a couple weeks ago, I pm a guy here sellin something with '' a make offer '' thread.Once i made him my very generous offer,the guy told me back that he would wait to see '' if other people would offer him more for it''..I find that kind of commerce really unreasonnable,and I recently made myself an obligation to not deal with that kind of sellers here.Dont get me wrong,i'm all for making a good profit, but at least announce the price in your thread.If people start putting auctions type threads here, to get the maximum they can of the community here, I think Dark Lord Dave should charge a fee to commerce here.Ebay is already there.Announced your price or die...

that's exactly my concern. I really appreciate that this board has a free, non-fee commerce section. When people start complicating it by incorporating auction style listings, things can get sketchy. Who's going to monitor the actual bids that come in. What's to prevent the seller from dishonestly saying the highest bid was $100 when it may have been less than that, and then ask an interested buyer if they want it for $120 it's sold.

Just keep it simple folks. And free. The most complicated sales should get should be the O.B.O. option. Just my $0.02

Hi All,

Thanks all
shell

By the way Shell, great initiative.

I had in the past put "make me an offer". Now I am very specific about pricing. I am open to negotiation but I don't do a higher offer deal.

i'm not a big fan of trying to auction off stuff on here, but what's wrong with trying to get the most out of an item that someone is selling? imo, there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for offers on a piece... if you don't want to negotiate prices on something that you really want, don't whine about it, just keep looking and accept the fact that you're not going to get a steal on the grail you've been trying to pin down for the past 6 months. what next, set amounts for what individual pieces can be sold for? once you start putting rules like this in the commerce section you're going to drive sellers to ebay where there are both shady buyers and sellers... that eliminates the part where you have a good idea of who exactly you're dealing with and adds annoying fees that could otherwise be avoided.

shai - if you don't like being put on the back burner while a seller waits for a better offer to come along? tell 'em where to stick it... noone is going to make you pay for it if a seller pulls that crap. look at it from a seller's perspective as well... i handle my 'offer' listings on a first come, first serve basis. when the first buyer makes an offer, then doesn't respond to my counter within a few hours, it's on to the next one.

if i'm looking for a quick sale, i'll post the price. if i'm just looking to make some room or i'm on the fence about selling a statue, i'll ask for offers. once a 'no auction/offers listings' rule is enforced, people will just jack up their asking prices and include a note stating 'no offers please :rolleyes:'

half the time people submit offers even if they aren't asked for. how do you fix that, make all PMs be submitted through a neutral party first to filter out those messages and then foreward it on to the seller? gimme a break

Whne people ask me to make an offer. I tell them "I don't make them, but will respond to them." It's your stuff. Don't act ignorant like you don't know what it is worth. State your damned price already.

No offense JB, but if you're on the fence you shouldn't put it in the F/S thread.

Whne people ask me to make an offer. I tell them "I don't make them, but will respond to them." It's your stuff. Don't act ignorant like you don't know what it is worth. State your damned price already.

No offense JB, but if you're on the fence you shouldn't put it in the F/S thread.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back