PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr.

The Mike
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Robert Downey Jr. to play Sherlock Holmes
Thursday July 10 2:04 AM ET

Robert Downey Jr., riding high at the box office with "Iron Man," is in final negotiations to play Sherlock Holmes in director Guy Ritchie's movie about the super sleuth.

The Warner Bros. project, dubbed "Sherlock Holmes," will have to contend with a rival movie at Columbia, a comedy starring Sacha Baron Cohen.

Ritchie's version takes its cue from a forthcoming comic book that producer Lionel Wigram wrote as a selling tool for a new take on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic character. The concept sees Holmes as more adventurous and less stuffy than previous screen incarnations and mines more obscure character traits.

Downey came onto the project via his wife, Susan, who works for one of the film's producers, Joel Silver. When the actor was in Silver's Warner-based offices, the producer showed him Ritchie's version of Holmes, sparking Downey's interest.

"Sherlock Holmes" will start shooting in the fall; Warner Bros. is eyeing an October 2009 release.

The Columbia project, meanwhile, also has Will Ferrell on board as Holmes' sidekick Dr. Watson. Judd Apatow is producing, but no director is attached yet.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Shai
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
RDJ is now like Johnny Depp to me, every roles he plays turns into amazing performances.

DarthNeil
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
But who's going to play Watson?... That'll be an important piece of casting-- and Moriarty too for that matter (if he appears).

The Mike
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Whoever plays Watson it'll be played with more seriousness than Will Farrell will bring to the character especially with Borat playing the hero role in Columbia's version.

carbo-fation
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that Sasha Cohen Baron and Will Ferrel will also star in a Sherlock Holmes movie?

OK SITHLORD
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
RDJ is now like Johnny Depp to me, every roles he plays turns into amazing performances.

:clap:clap:clap

Darth Waller
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Dang, Mike. Every time I turn around, there's a new thread by you. :lol

Good news about this, though. I'm surprised it took Hollywood this long to return to Holmes.

tylerd
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM

keen observation. :clap

Les Walker
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I like Downey, but this could be silly. Hope they pay it due respect with a good story and a great script worthy of his abilities. Holmes is important stuff to me. :rock

Sick Boy 82
07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Dude, with Guy Richie doing this, I could see it being freaking amazing!! But I thought he had another Lock Stock/Snatch project on the books right now?? Guess not, musta been a rumor!! Sucks, but can't wait for this now!!!

amarcord
07-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Best and only Sherlock Holmes ever is Jeremy Brett in my eyes.

Darth Rage
07-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Well said, I've always been a fan RDJ

toystales
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Got this piece of news from one of the news sites on the net.

LOS ANGELES: After making a successful comeback to the big screen with the runaway blockbuster hit “Iron Man”, actor Robert Downey Jr is set to take on the iconic role of super sleuth Sherlock Holmes in an upcoming Hollywood movie.

The Warner Bros film, which has been given the working title “Sherlock Holmes”, is to be directed by British film maker, Guy Ritchie (“Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels”).

The producers include Joel Silver and his producing partner - Downey's wife, Susan Downey - who previously worked with the actor on "Gothika" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang."

Taking its cue from an upcoming comic book, the film will portray Holmes in a new light - less stuffy and more adventurous, using physical prowess along with intellect to solve mysteries.

Downey Jr will be going head-to-head with Borat creator and star, Sacha Baron Cohen, who will also be playing the famous Baker Street detective in the Colombia Pictures spoof movie based on the same character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

While it has been announced that funny man Will Ferrell will be starring alongside Cohen as Holmes’s trusty sidekick, Dr Watson, no other cast members have been announced for Downey’s film, which will be set in Holmes' late 19th-century London.

Downey’s Sherlock Holmes mystery drama is slated to be released in 2009.

I hope Sideshow go for the license so that we can get some cool Sherlock Holmes collectibles. :whip

carbo-fation
07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37295

dwing
07-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Dude, with Guy Richie doing this, I could see it being freaking amazing!! But I thought he had another Lock Stock/Snatch project on the books right now?? Guess not, musta been a rumor!! Sucks, but can't wait for this now!!!

Two of my favorite movies-watched snatch two nights ago. He only needs to lose that 125lbs of s...t baggage and we can get back to work.

The Mike
08-04-2008, 11:55 PM
This may upset classic fans of Holmes....

Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes
Downey then spoke about the upcoming SHERLOCK HOLMES project, directed by Guy Ritchie. Not only will audiences see the famed English detective appear in a new tale not connected to any of the stories previously told by Holmes creator Arthur Conan Doyle, but this time around, Sherlock Holmes will share a passion that Downey Jr. practices in real life: martial arts.

“Sherlock Holmes, we start October 6th. Guy Ritchie’s take on it was that…it’s like [we’ll be] making a contemporary version of a very classic portrayal of exactly how it was. But it’s not telling one of the stories from one of the books or anything like that. Watson…it’s all there. The cool thing about Sherlock Holmes was he’s actually a very skilled martial artist. So it’s going to have elements of that…it’s not just his deduction and all that stuff. It’s going to be a very action-packed version of that. To me it’s really exciting.”

“I’m always training. I’m big into martial arts. We’re putting together a team of people, we’re going to try to do something a little more transcendent and interesting. I love the idea of martial arts and bare-knuckle boxing…before the Queensbury rules, where it was all kind of proper, it was this real balls-to-the-wall, brutal type stuff. Guy Ritchie’s a martial artist, and martial arts student…so we’re going to have a real fun time doing all that.”

The Mike
08-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Guy Ritchie Talks Sherlock Holmes
Source: USA Today
August 22, 2008

RocknRolla writer/director Guy Ritchie talked to USA Today about his upcoming Sherlock Holmes, to star Robert Downey Jr. Based on Lionel Wigram's comic book, the new Holmes is expected to be more adventuresome and will take advantage of his skills as a boxer and swordsman.

"It will be a very big production, visceral and intellectual," Ritchie said. "His brilliance will percolate into the action."

The 2010 Warner Bros. release will be set in the olden days, he says, but the emphasis will be as much on Holmes' physical prowess as it is on his keen powers of deduction.

"His intellect was as much of a curse as it was a blessing," Ritchie added. "He was a deeply layered character."

There's word on the villain yet, but there will be a love interest based on Arthur Conan Doyle's Irene Adler. Casting is expected to be finished in six or so weeks

SpawnFan
08-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Martial arts? That's not good!

I don't mind Sherlock fighting or swordfighting but it has to befit his character somewhat and also the period. Martial arts is totally out of place and would ruin the movie!

wofford29
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I have no connection with the character or his past stories so as long as it turns out to be well written, acted, and directed I'll be excited to see it.

Darklord Dave
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
At SDCC Joel Silver described this Holmes as a Victorian James Bond. So that should give you some idea where they're taking this franchise.

The Ween
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
At SDCC Joel Silver described this Holmes as a Victorian James Bond. So that should give you some idea where they're taking this franchise.

I wonder if this Holmes will be a drug addict like the old Holmes was. Wonder if that would bother RDJ with his past problems.

The Mike
09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Rachel McAdams Meets "Holmes"

Sherlock Holmes now has a leading lady in Rachel McAdams, who recently joined the cast of the Guy Ritchie version of the classic. She will star opposite Robert Downey Jr. as his love interest (duh) Irene Adler, who actually is a character in one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books, A Scandal in Bohemia written in 1891.

Additionally, a comic book, written by producer Lionel Wigram, will be released as well, and was the basis for the new iteration of Holmes.

It's Elementary That Jude Law is Playing Watson, Watson
Sep 19 2008

Variety reports that, in addition to slowly, inadvertently transforming into Phil Collins, Jude Law will be taking on the role of Watson in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes:

Jude Law is negotiating to join Robert Downey Jr. in "Sherlock Holmes," the drama that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures.
Law is expected to close a deal shortly to play Watson, the super-sleuth's sidekick.

ProgMatinee
09-26-2008, 07:07 AM
I love Jude Law as a supporting actor so much more than as a lead. Should be an interesting choice, though not how I typically imagine or see Watson portrayed.

Voorhees27
09-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Well I don't know if I would compare him to Depp but I see what you're saying, after Iron Man i've gained alot of respect for him as an actor. He's definetely one of the best today IMO.

wofford29
09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Sounds like some promising casting. I'd like to see Ritchie tone down his signature touches on this one a bit. Try something a little more conventional and see what he can do. I don't have much connection to the Holmes mythos so I won't really be concerned if it doesn't stick true to the old books.

The Mike
10-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Sherlock Holmes Begins Production in London
Source:Warner Bros. Pictures October 1, 2008

Principal photography is set to begin on location in London for the action adventure mystery Sherlock Holmes, being helmed by acclaimed filmmaker Guy Ritchie (RocknRolla), for Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures.

Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) brings the legendary detective to life as he has never been portrayed before. Jude Law stars as Holmes' trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams stars as Irene Adler, the only woman ever to have bested Holmes and who has maintained a tempestuous relationship with the detective. Mark Strong stars as their mysterious new adversary, Blackwood. Kelly Reilly will play Watson's love interest, Mary.

Based on an original story/comic book by Lionel Wigram, inspired by the classic tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the film will be produced by Joel Silver, Lionel Wigram, Susan Downey and Dan Lin. Steve Clark-Hall and Bruce Berman are serving as executive producers.

In a dynamic new portrayal of Conan Doyle's famous characters, Sherlock Holmes sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

"What we've done is hopefully launched a franchise of Sherlock Holmes stories," Silver said today in London.

Sherlock Holmes will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.

Kratos
10-03-2008, 01:58 AM

Well said RDJ :rock

The Mike
10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5879/robertdowneyjrsherlockhka9.jpg

Sherlock Holmes Spotted in London!
Source:Just Jared October 10, 2008

Just Jared has posted the first photos of Robert Downey Jr. and director Guy Ritchie on the set of Warner Bros. Pictures' Sherlock Holmes. They were filming scenes in Central London on Friday.

In the film, Downey Jr. brings the legendary detective to life as he has never been portrayed before. Jude Law stars as Holmes' trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams stars as Irene Adler, the only woman ever to have bested Holmes and who has maintained a tempestuous relationship with the detective. Mark Strong stars as their mysterious new adversary, Blackwood. Kelly Reilly will play Watson's love interest, Mary.

theokou
06-20-2009, 04:02 AM
http://l.yimg.com/k/omg/us/img/67/bd/5347_11147318875.jpg?y=660&x=616&q=75&n=0&sig=.gsi31eUy6A6h3Jc3.wI9g-- http://l.yimg.com/k/omg/us/img/c0/aa/9991_13583983539.jpg?y=660&x=616&q=75&n=0&sig=OaWZqZjKs5bh1pdqxHG6kQ--

Batty
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
New poster:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/819/domsherlock4.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/domsherlock4.jpg/)

Kabukiman
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Have any of you guys started playing http://221b.sh yet? I started with the wife a few days ago and it was fun, but got sick and we haven't been back. I'm hoping to give it another go this weekend.

Note: It requires two players (though not necessarily at the same time) and a facebook account.

wofford29
12-13-2009, 11:26 PM
First 2 reviews are in. They are both positive. One even states...
"Guy Ritchie is back and delivers a strong, gay romance." :lol

I'm even more pumped for this because it was announced that the "Inception" trailer will be running in front of this.

Darklord Dave
12-25-2009, 03:44 PM
This movie was sold out the first 2 shows on Christmas Day.

It's a great amusement - the interaction between Downey and Law is great - the plot is a bit mundane, but the action is cool. It's a fun romp - but not something that will live in film history for decades, or even weeks.

wofford29
12-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Good, not great. The film shines when RDJr. and Law play off one another. The camera work is great as well.

Memnoch
12-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Saw it, loved it. First show was sold out so I snagged the second. Can't wait for the sequel.

hairlesswookiee
12-26-2009, 07:09 AM
It's a fun romp - but not something that will live in film history for decades, or even weeks.

Lol....:rotfl:rotfl

tylerdurden
12-26-2009, 08:27 AM
saw it on xmas day. this movie gets by mainly on the chemistry between downey jr and law. they're a pretty funny on-screen pair. and downey is as charming and magnetic as ever.

the story itself is pretty easy to figure out. an online critic compared the true machinations of the bad guy's plot to those of scooby doo villains. which is pretty spot-on. so it doesn't really take a mind of holmes' calibre to deduce what's going on.

the thing about this movie that i really loved was the production design. guy ritchie's vision of england looks gorgeous in a grungy, monochromatic sort of way. also liked the score a lot. gave the film a bohemian, playful kind of energy.

overall, a decent, fun flick with a couple of issues that prevent it from being a stronger film.

Matt S
12-26-2009, 08:38 AM
I am seeing this for the interaction of the guys and Rachel Mcadams; that girl is sweeter than a slice of homemade apple pie

ChaserFan
12-26-2009, 09:21 AM
This was the only film this year that I enjoyed even more than Inglourious Basterds.........and that's saying alot. I thought the story was great. Loved the the scenes where you see Holmes' thought process, and also the re-telling/explanation scenes, especially the one where you see Holmes follow Irene to the coach. The humour was well placed, and RDJ's and Law's chemistry really brought life to the film.
Really wanting to see this one again, and soon! :rock

Kabukiman
12-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I *REALLY* enjoyed this movie, and I hope it becomes a series. Like most Holmes stories, the good stuff isn't in the whodunnit, but the how, and Holmes' deductions.

Good writing, fantastic cast, brilliant score. I, for one, am ready for more!

Eli26
12-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I am seeing this for the interaction of the guys and Rachel Mcadams; that girl is sweeter than a slice of homemade apple pie

And she's Canadian! Canadian women are the hottest, and snobbiest. hehe Yay to the first part. Boo to the other.

Matt S
12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Well, just saw it and loved it. Funny, action packed, story was fast paced....no complaints....and yeah, love Canadian women!

Kabukiman
12-26-2009, 06:23 PM
This may be a missed marketing opportunity. No action figures or role play toys? What's the point of making Holmes an action hero if not to make action figures?

The reason I bring this up, is because my kid just came up to me, said something about distracting me, fractured ribs, and psychological recovery. I wasn't really paying attention. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of me.

ChaserFan
12-26-2009, 09:06 PM
This may be a missed marketing opportunity. No action figures or role play toys? What's the point of making Holmes an action hero if not to make action figures?

The reason I bring this up, is because my kid just came up to me, said something about distracting me, fractured ribs, and psychological recovery. I wasn't really paying attention. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of me.

I have a strong feeling HT will pick up on this sometime next year..........especially seeing as there is def gonna be a sequel. Safe to say, I would buy anything they made from Sherlock Holmes. :rock

derekrodneysim
12-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Can't wait to see this! I think RDJ's one of the best!

Buttmunch
12-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I got to admit I was really disapointed with this. I felt the story was weak and making Holmes more of an action hero than a detective was a big mistake. Yeah there were the classic Holmes detective moments, but I felt this was more of an action movie than mystery. I think they should have just taken one of the numerous Holmes stories and adapted them. Or if they are going to come up with their own stories, come up with something interesting like Holmes tracking Jack the Ripper or something.

I'll definately go see a sequel to see if they improve things and I'd also get a Holmes figure just to have a Sherlock on my shelf, but I'm still not please with this version of Sherlock.

Eli26
12-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Not a fan of this movie, neither were the others that went with me. It's funny but I actually enjoyed Ninja Assassin at the cheap seats more than I enjoyed this flick. It definitely is shaping up for a sequel, but one that I won't see at the expensive theatres. I'll save that for the cheapies.

hairlesswookiee
12-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Went and saw it this morning. It was just OK. I was let down a bit. My GF loved it, but it just didn't click for me. Seemed to fast paced for a "detective" movie. Rachel McAdams' character didn't thrill me either. I just found it hard to believe that Holmes would goo cookoo for her.

I also thought it was funny how they were setting up the sequel halfway through the movie. I'll definitely go see it, but I hope its more of a detective movie than an action movie.

Josette
12-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I loved it, and I was impressed by the little nods to canon as I wasn't expecting anything at all.

I can separate the different Holmes stories and films, and I thought this was extremely solid, especially the relationship between Holmes and Watson - it was definitely the movie's strength, which will only enchance the inevitable seuqel with Moriarty and Holmes facing off.

Once Hot Toys gives me a Rorschach and a Nite Owl (please and thank you), I'd definitely buy a Holmes and a Watson, but no one else.

Memnoch
12-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I loved the Holmes/Watson interaction and think slowly setting up Moriarty was a brilliant move as it gives us a proper introduction to him. It was a bit fast paced but (sadly) I think it needed to be. It was nearer to Holmes than I thought it would be really, and for that I am thankful.

YoNoSe
12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I loved the Holmes/Watson interaction and think slowly setting up Moriarty was a brilliant move as it gives us a proper introduction to him. It was a bit fast paced but (sadly) I think it needed to be. It was nearer to Holmes than I thought it would be really, and for that I am thankful.

:lecture

I agree, though I haven't read the books so I can't speak to the last.

I found Drew "Moriarty" McWeeny's review interesting. It not only revealed how he got his nickname, but also commented on how the general public might find this more of a departure for the character than the devoted fan.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/the-m-c-review-sherlock-holmes-gives-robert-downey-jr-room-to-play

Kabukiman
12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/the-m-c-review-sherlock-holmes-gives-robert-downey-jr-room-to-play

Thanks for that. That sums up my argument to people crying about this movie being such a departure from the source material better than I ever could.

This movie is not a departure from the source, it's a departure from the majority's perception of the character after nearly a century of movies, serials, plays, and parodies.

LOTRFan
12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I need to carve out some time for this one, I am glad to see it getting a positive reception.

thecapn
12-28-2009, 08:32 AM
I love that some of you here are already saying how much this movie was like the original Doyle, and I loved that review too. How many of you whining that it wasn't a "detective" movie actually READ any Holmes? A LOT of his stories...a majority in fact...ended with a chase, or a fistfight, or guns blazing...action was a BIG part of Holmes originally, and I'm glad to see it back. I was a little wary of the boxing, but Richie managed to make that make SENSE for Holmes as well. Not to mention that the occult and mysticism was a factor in a few Holmes stories, especially the very popular "Hound of the Baskervilles." So the supernatural storyline fit. The only thing I worried is that they would leave it resolved like they did in Scooby-Doo - an awful movie - where you get to the end and it really WAS supernatural. But no, in true Holmes fashion, he explains it all in lightening-fast form that will leave you scratching your head until you go back and read it (or see it, in this case) a second time. It had a slight Steampunk factor, but it wasn't TOO outrageous, so I could live with it. I give it a 4 out of 5.

The only thing I wish is that they would have referenced Holmes drug addiction a bit more. They showed him taking tranquilizers and drinking, though not taking Opium injections like he was known to do.

Overall, very happy, and this coming from a big Holmes BOOK fan.

grphyx1
12-28-2009, 09:12 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!! Highly entertaining. scenes of the industrialization of London fantastic. The star of the whole movie Rachel McAdams' mole on the left side of her chin. Yee HAW!

quadcent
12-28-2009, 11:54 AM
saw this last night and i have to say it was entertaining but not a great movie imo. 6/10

Wanderer
12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Just came back from watching it. Originally went to see Avatar but it was booked solid. I'm glad i went to see it now. RDJ and Jude Law are a great double act. It was a suprisingly enjoyable story and i cant wait to pick it up on BR. I don't think it holds up if you analyze it in detail though, but take it as it is and it's a good romp.
It was weird seeing the guy who played Gorman in Aliens in the film because i was watching it last night. Boy he's AGED badly.

plasmid303
12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Saw this today. Worth a watch for RDJ and Jude Law. Otherwise, it was entirely forgettable.

Morbach
12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I want to see this. Probably the next film I go see...

galactiboy
12-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Saw it today and really enjoyed it... solidly entertaining movie and some very good performances.

Also, nice that they didn't blow their wad on the first film and set it up nicely for a number of sequels.

Saya
12-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Was Fantastic! I cant wait to own it on DVD!

Now we need customs of Holmes and Watson :D

EVILFACE
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
I enjoyed it. Loved the cast and the sets/designs. Music was good and so was the ending credits.

Jen
01-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I had a good time watching this.
I LOVED the chemistry between Downey Jr. and Law. Their scenes together were brilliant.

I loved the way it was filmed...really like Guy Ritchies' style..the sets and costumes were great.

I felt some parts dragged a bit and truthfully, I felt they could have done without the Rachel McAdams character. I didn't feel that she really added anything and her scenes with Downey felt so bland and unexciting compared to his scenes with Law.

Good film...not a great one though. I do hope they make a sequel and I will definitely watch this again when it comes out on bluray.

firefly2121
01-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Man, I really need to see this movie...

plasmid303
01-02-2010, 04:14 AM
The film needed more of those slow-mo scenes in which Holmes narrates his thought processes before kicking someone's a$$.

cedric72
01-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Saw this today. Worth a watch for RDJ and Jude Law. Otherwise, it was entirely forgettable.

Yeh,I got so bored I started counting the stars on the carpet in front of me. But I've never been a Shlock Holmes fan anyway, I was kind of dragged in to see it. I didn't even pay for my ticket.:banana

karamazov80
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I loved the way it was filmed...really like Guy Ritchies' style..the sets and costumes were great.
Haven't seen this one yet (will at some point), but this worries me. I can't stand Ritchie's style in the other films he has made, though you can't hardly go wrong with Downey, Jr., no matter what the style of film.

I think they should have just taken one of the numerous Holmes stories and adapted them.
I feel this would be unnecessary. The Jeremy Brett series is in my eyes, the definitive interpretation of Conan Doyle's Holmes stories. Of course, if there is money to be made, that wouldn't stop anybody.

hunnipot85
01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Saw this during the Holidays and really loved it. Downey and Law were amazing and had an awesome team dynamic. Also loved McAdams. Can't wait to own the Blu Ray and I hope Hot Toys does a line.

Hydeous
01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I had a good time watching this.
I LOVED the chemistry between Downey Jr. and Law. Their scenes together were brilliant.

I felt some parts dragged a bit and truthfully, I felt they could have done without the Rachel McAdams character. I didn't feel that she really added anything and her scenes with Downey felt so bland and unexciting compared to his scenes with Law.

Good film...not a great one though. I do hope they make a sequel and I will definitely watch this again when it comes out on bluray.

Hope hot toys will pick up the license, I need a 1/6 watson and sherlock!

I have a strong feeling that they are planning to release a trilogy out of sherlock; much like pirates of the Caribbean. Not that I'd complain :banana

Kuzeh
01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I finally saw this movie!!
Much better than what I expected!!
I enjoyed it a lot! Great story, great visuals and set design.
The interaction between Law and Downey Jr. was perfect IMO,
liked it a lot!

Sithlord1975
01-14-2010, 10:58 AM
My two cents. Saw it and loved the movie! More than I thought I would.
I was scared to see that Guy Ritchie was directing it. But maybe without Madonna around he can do some better movies now lol

Robert Downey was awesome. Loved his obsessive compulsive nature and the way he thinks and has his mind constantly running through things. I enjoyed the movie alot.

ChaserFan
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy Or Musical

Robert Downey Jr.

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

Rook
01-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Good for him. :clap Maybe I'll finally break down and go see this tomorrow.

Jen
01-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Good for him. :clap Maybe I'll finally break down and go see this tomorrow.

It's a fun film - definitely worth seeing for the banter between RDJ and Jude Law.

CelticPredator
01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Great score too. I'm suprised it was Hans Zimmer. He's getting more versitile now.

ChaserFan
01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Great score too. I'm suprised it was Hans Zimmer. He's getting more versitile now.

Fantastic soundtrack; love 'Panic, Shear Bloody Panic' :rock

The Entity
01-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy Or Musical

Robert Downey Jr.

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

:rock :rock :rock

I saw that news earlier!! Awesome!!!

It's a fun film - definitely worth seeing for the banter between RDJ and Jude Law.

I agree! They made a great team together!!! Really awesome to see!

I, too, was surprised that it was a Hans Zimmer score! It was a very different score than his usual work, but definitely memorable!!!

Deadly Dagger
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Recently saw the movie...was very bored. Not much else to say.

Sweet Rabbit
01-22-2010, 10:40 PM
it was a good movie, but it suffers from the sixth sense syndrome

Bamboota
01-23-2010, 01:24 PM
it was a good movie, but it suffers from the sixth sense syndrome

whats the six sense syndrom?
u mean it doesn't have reply value?

I saw it last night...thought it was great...but a little to long, but then again...I feel that all Guy Ritchie's film are a little to long.

The film score was great and RDJ and Jude Laws performance where great.

I love the art in the ending credits....I actually found an article interviewing the artist:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/2010/01/21/sherlock-holmes/

Here's the wedbist eof teh artist:
http://www.dannyyount.com/

Seems that this isn't the only movie he's worked on.

Sweet Rabbit
01-23-2010, 01:27 PM
whats the six sense syndrom?
u mean it doesn't have reply value?

I saw it last night...thought it was great...but a little to long, but then again...I feel that all Guy Ritchie's film are a little to long.

I love the art in the ending credits....I actually found an article interviewing the artist:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/2010/01/21/sherlock-holmes/

no...if you watch it more than the first time, you see all the clues & there's no mystery

Bamboota
01-23-2010, 01:31 PM
no...if you watch it more than the first time, you see all the clues & there's no mystery

Whoops...i meant replay*** value....

yeah..i see what u mean.....i would see it again for the fun of it tho.

wHySoSeRiOuS203
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
it was fn great! hah i liked it alot

ChaserFan
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

I'm pretty sure you could say that about any movie; once you've seen it, of course you're going to know what happens the second time. :rolleyes:

Sweet Rabbit
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty sure you could say that about any movie; once you've seen it, of course you're going to know what happens the second time. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ChaserFan
01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:lol Well, thanks for that insight.

Btw Bam, cheers for that link to that interview! It's awesome to see what got rejected, and the process behind creating the titles. :rock

plasmid303
01-23-2010, 07:23 PM

I know what you mean, man. I had no idea Vader was Luke's father the second time I watched Empire Strikes Back. That plot point was so carefully concealed.

ChaserFan
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I know what you mean, man. I had no idea Vader was Luke's father the second time I watched Empire Strikes Back. That plot point was so carefully concealed.

It's like the second time I watched Die Hard. When McClane drops Gruber off the roof at the end, I totally didn't see that coming......I thought he lived?

uscmhicks
01-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Its like at the end of predator , you know , when Dutch kills the predator.

:lol

Avfin
01-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Wife and I enjoyed this movie...

Voorhees27
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Its like at the end of predator , you know , when Dutch kills the predator.

:lol

:tap The Predator committed suicide .......... Dutch just basically ran.

uscmhicks
01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
:tap The Predator committed suicide .......... Dutch just basically ran.

http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallpapers/19399-bigthumbnail.jpg

isculpt
01-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Loved the film!

The Entity
01-24-2010, 01:57 AM

Yeah, this movie's replay value lies in the awesome team that Holmes and Watson make, and some really great scenes. Sure you'd know the story when you watch it again, but this movie definitely is worth multiple viewings IMO.

I'll be getting it on Blu for sure!! :rock :rock :rock

ChaserFan
01-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Yeah, this movie's replay value lies in the awesome team that Holmes and Watson make, and some really great scenes. Sure you'd know the story when you watch it again, but this movie definitely is worth multiple viewings IMO.

I'll be getting it on Blu for sure!! :rock :rock :rock

And even if not for that, watch it again just for RDJ's performance; his acting is just brilliant! Can't wait the DVD! :rock

The Entity
01-24-2010, 02:09 AM
And even if not for that, watch it again just for RDJ's performance; his acting is just brilliant! Can't wait the DVD! :rock

:lecture Definitely!! The man did a great job!!! :rock :rock :rock

CelticPredator
01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Great movie. Better then anything that came out this month. Thats for sure.