Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Robert Downey Jr. to play Sherlock Holmes
Thursday July 10 2:04 AM ET

Robert Downey Jr., riding high at the box office with "Iron Man," is in final negotiations to play Sherlock Holmes in director Guy Ritchie's movie about the super sleuth.

The Warner Bros. project, dubbed "Sherlock Holmes," will have to contend with a rival movie at Columbia, a comedy starring Sacha Baron Cohen.

Ritchie's version takes its cue from a forthcoming comic book that producer Lionel Wigram wrote as a selling tool for a new take on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic character. The concept sees Holmes as more adventurous and less stuffy than previous screen incarnations and mines more obscure character traits.

Downey came onto the project via his wife, Susan, who works for one of the film's producers, Joel Silver. When the actor was in Silver's Warner-based offices, the producer showed him Ritchie's version of Holmes, sparking Downey's interest.

"Sherlock Holmes" will start shooting in the fall; Warner Bros. is eyeing an October 2009 release.

The Columbia project, meanwhile, also has Will Ferrell on board as Holmes' sidekick Dr. Watson. Judd Apatow is producing, but no director is attached yet.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

RDJ is now like Johnny Depp to me, every roles he plays turns into amazing performances.

But who's going to play Watson?... That'll be an important piece of casting-- and Moriarty too for that matter (if he appears).

Whoever plays Watson it'll be played with more seriousness than Will Farrell will bring to the character especially with Borat playing the hero role in Columbia's version.

Dang, Mike. Every time I turn around, there's a new thread by you. :lol

Good news about this, though. I'm surprised it took Hollywood this long to return to Holmes.

I like Downey, but this could be silly. Hope they pay it due respect with a good story and a great script worthy of his abilities. Holmes is important stuff to me. :rock

Dude, with Guy Richie doing this, I could see it being freaking amazing!! But I thought he had another Lock Stock/Snatch project on the books right now?? Guess not, musta been a rumor!! Sucks, but can't wait for this now!!!

Downey Jr to play Sherlock Holmes too!

Got this piece of news from one of the news sites on the net.

LOS ANGELES: After making a successful comeback to the big screen with the runaway blockbuster hit “Iron Man”, actor Robert Downey Jr is set to take on the iconic role of super sleuth Sherlock Holmes in an upcoming Hollywood movie.

The Warner Bros film, which has been given the working title “Sherlock Holmes”, is to be directed by British film maker, Guy Ritchie (“Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels”).

The producers include Joel Silver and his producing partner - Downey's wife, Susan Downey - who previously worked with the actor on "Gothika" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang."

Taking its cue from an upcoming comic book, the film will portray Holmes in a new light - less stuffy and more adventurous, using physical prowess along with intellect to solve mysteries.

Downey Jr will be going head-to-head with Borat creator and star, Sacha Baron Cohen, who will also be playing the famous Baker Street detective in the Colombia Pictures spoof movie based on the same character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

While it has been announced that funny man Will Ferrell will be starring alongside Cohen as Holmes’s trusty sidekick, Dr Watson, no other cast members have been announced for Downey’s film, which will be set in Holmes' late 19th-century London.

Downey’s Sherlock Holmes mystery drama is slated to be released in 2009.

I hope Sideshow go for the license so that we can get some cool Sherlock Holmes collectibles. :whip

Dude, with Guy Richie doing this, I could see it being freaking amazing!! But I thought he had another Lock Stock/Snatch project on the books right now?? Guess not, musta been a rumor!! Sucks, but can't wait for this now!!!

Two of my favorite movies-watched snatch two nights ago. He only needs to lose that 125lbs of s...t baggage and we can get back to work.

This may upset classic fans of Holmes....

Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes
Downey then spoke about the upcoming SHERLOCK HOLMES project, directed by Guy Ritchie. Not only will audiences see the famed English detective appear in a new tale not connected to any of the stories previously told by Holmes creator Arthur Conan Doyle, but this time around, Sherlock Holmes will share a passion that Downey Jr. practices in real life: martial arts.

“Sherlock Holmes, we start October 6th. Guy Ritchie’s take on it was that…it’s like [we’ll be] making a contemporary version of a very classic portrayal of exactly how it was. But it’s not telling one of the stories from one of the books or anything like that. Watson…it’s all there. The cool thing about Sherlock Holmes was he’s actually a very skilled martial artist. So it’s going to have elements of that…it’s not just his deduction and all that stuff. It’s going to be a very action-packed version of that. To me it’s really exciting.”

“I’m always training. I’m big into martial arts. We’re putting together a team of people, we’re going to try to do something a little more transcendent and interesting. I love the idea of martial arts and bare-knuckle boxing…before the Queensbury rules, where it was all kind of proper, it was this real balls-to-the-wall, brutal type stuff. Guy Ritchie’s a martial artist, and martial arts student…so we’re going to have a real fun time doing all that.”

Guy Ritchie Talks Sherlock Holmes
Source: USA Today
August 22, 2008

RocknRolla writer/director Guy Ritchie talked to USA Today about his upcoming Sherlock Holmes, to star Robert Downey Jr. Based on Lionel Wigram's comic book, the new Holmes is expected to be more adventuresome and will take advantage of his skills as a boxer and swordsman.

"It will be a very big production, visceral and intellectual," Ritchie said. "His brilliance will percolate into the action."

The 2010 Warner Bros. release will be set in the olden days, he says, but the emphasis will be as much on Holmes' physical prowess as it is on his keen powers of deduction.

"His intellect was as much of a curse as it was a blessing," Ritchie added. "He was a deeply layered character."

There's word on the villain yet, but there will be a love interest based on Arthur Conan Doyle's Irene Adler. Casting is expected to be finished in six or so weeks

Martial arts? That's not good!

I don't mind Sherlock fighting or swordfighting but it has to befit his character somewhat and also the period. Martial arts is totally out of place and would ruin the movie!

I have no connection with the character or his past stories so as long as it turns out to be well written, acted, and directed I'll be excited to see it.

At SDCC Joel Silver described this Holmes as a Victorian James Bond. So that should give you some idea where they're taking this franchise.

Back