Universal should reboot THE MUMMY...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
As a huge fan of Universal's classic monsters, I hope I'm not alone in hoping that Universal decides to reboot the series after this third installment.

Stephen Sommer's first MUMMY was good; I'm not gonna lie. Sure it was a special-effects-filled extravaganza that owed more to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK than to Boris Karloff, but while having one foot firmly in the adventure-comedy genre, it still had its other foot in the horror one. Despite being PG-13, the deaths were pretty gruesome, and Imhotep's regenerating was right out of HELLRAISER. However, what little ties to horror the 1999 film had, were all but gone with its sequel (Spider-Man mummies? A half Rock, half scorpion, all CGI monstrosity? COME ON!)

The trailer for the third one, places the series completely in the summer, CGI-filled action genre. Don't get me wrong; I'm gonna see it to have fun with a funny adventure flick, but I remember when going to a film with "THE MUMMY" in the title meant something seeing something creepy and horrific. Even the poster promises a horror flick, which is OBVIOUSLY not the case.

So am I the only one who would like to see a return to gothic horror in the fourth film? It should follow the Hammer route and be a remake of Universal's own Kharis series. Without Kharis, there would be no Jason Voorhees, or Michael Myers. He was the original souless, bullet-proof, shambling serial killer. They could either set the film in the Victorian era (like the new WOLF MAN,) where it would be a completely new reboot, or set it in the late 1940's, so O'Connell could make an appearance and it would retain somewhat of the pulpier feel of the first three films. It could be dark and gritty, but still maintain a PG-13 rating to keep its audience (Though an R-rating would be nice.) For THE MUMMY 4, I want to see a new and improved Kharis crushing skulls and breaking necks, rather than another ancient sorcerer controlling a CGI army, or a sandstorm with a face.

Am I alone here?

No...im sure there are many others who want the same...but me? Heck no. I want MORE Imhotep. He's such an awesome character, love his evilness. Toilet Paper mummys never intrested me....

I'd like a new Mummy film, that's more horror orientated. Don't know if a total reboot would work, so soon after the third film. Look at The Incredible Hulk, most people think that's a sequel too. But something more like the first one would be fine by me.

Not needed... We've already had the greatest remake of the Mummy---EVER.

Buba_Ho-Tep.jpg

It's got fat old Elvis for Pete's sake.:lol

I don't think the series needs a reboot... but they should have an actual Mummy movie at some point as opposed to whatever these are. I've never really considered these to be related to the Karloff and Hammer films, were they supposed to be?

It was a comedy?

(j/k:D)

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Bruce Campbell = GOD

Elvis: What do I really have left in life but this place? It ain't much of a home, but it's all I got. Well, goddamnit. I'll be damned if I let some foreign, graffiti writin', soul suckin', son of a ^^^^^ in an oversized cowboy hat and boots take my friend's souls and ^^^^ 'em down the visitors toilet!

I really like this series the first one was quite fun to watch. Heck, I pretty much watch it anytime its on cable and have most of the lines memorized. The second one was alright but would loved it they did the Rock character differently thats what killed it for me. I was all in until I saw he was half man/scorpion. This one looks to be good which is all I ask for with films like this.

I really like this series the first one was quite fun to watch. Heck, I pretty much watch it anytime its on cable and have most of the lines memorized. The second one was alright but would loved it they did the Rock character differently thats what killed it for me. I was all in until I saw he was half man/scorpion. This one looks to be good which is all I ask for with films like this.

:rotfl:rotfl Same thing. When it's on TNT HD, I always seem to watch it. As for The Mummy Returns, I don't know why they didn't just put the rock out there as a human and fight (maybe they couldn't get him timewise...?).

With the new one, with Jet Li, we are guarenteed some good action at least.

I think, while Steve Sommer's third Mummy is just about to come out, and since they've been cheezy popcorn rompy successes, they'll probably just let him continue.

I'd love to see more HORROR than adventure with another Mummy movie...

:rotfl:rotfl Same thing. When it's on TNT HD, I always seem to watch it. As for The Mummy Returns, I don't know why they didn't just put the rock out there as a human and fight (maybe they couldn't get him timewise...?).

With the new one, with Jet Li, we are guarenteed some good action at least.

I watched it again last night on Starz HD. Its like a sickness. :lol That would be my guess because the whole CGI thing there just look odd.

The thing that always bothered me about The Mummy Returns is the part of Evelyn. In the first one she is this clumsy librarian who desperately wants to be an archaeologist. In the second one long gone is the cute lovable character and we get this reincarnated warrior princess which just didn't sit right with me.

I think its a mix of going to Hamamnatanamatrwhatever ( I cant spell it) and Rick toughing her out. But who knows, It was a bit random.

The original Mummuy is a classic and a horror film, although the new Mummy films are 'good' entertainment I feel the two are totally different films. But I think its still hard to make a classic over and make it better.

Jon Spaihts is writing with Alex Kurtzman to direct.

There are talks with Sofia Boutella (Gazelle from "Kingsman") to play the title character.
Yes, Imhotep is a woman now. And yes, they still want to make a crossover film franchise with all new universal monsters.

Back