Dragon Ball

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grange Wallis

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Freaks,
I want to checkout Dragon ball and see what all the fuss is about. So where to I begin... I want to take it from the start. So which DVDs do I pickup first?

Dragonball or Dragonball Z? Its all a matter of how much you want to familiarize yourself with. If you really want to start from the TRUE beginning than the story of Goku as a kid is the way to go. (Dragonball). From there Dragonball progresses to Dragonball Z and finally Dragonball GT. If you want to go straight to the action than Dragonball Z (Adult Goku and future generations) is the way to start. If your hoping to prep yourself for the movie, than stick with Dragonball. As much flak as people catch for watching the Dragonball, DBZ, DBGT series....It's honestly a must for any anime fan no matter how you look at (it in my opinion.) Afterall, it's been labeled as the greatest action cartoon of all time.

The official Dragonball and Dragonball Z anime has not been put completely on DVD, yet. You can either buy the Funimation DVDs (very expensive) or you can read the manga (comic book version) which will be cheaper and faster to finish. Check out ebay for the manga set.

The official Dragonball and Dragonball Z anime has not been put completely on DVD, yet. You can either buy the Funimation DVDs (very expensive) or you can read the manga (comic book version) which will be cheaper and faster to finish. Check out ebay for the manga set.

Funimation has released the complete set of Dragonball DVDs. I have them all and I'm glad I bought them a while back (a year + ago) because good luck getting a hold of some of the Region 1 discs now (ie. Tournament Saga, Piccolo Jr. Saga 1 + 2, etc.). At one pt., they were going for over a $100 a piece on Ebay. :eek As for DBZ, Fumination has re-released up and through the Cell Saga as part of their "definitive" collection, which is marketed for a very reasonable price (when you look at a majority of the prices of anime on DVD in the U.S.) **This is the case for the U.S. Not sure about the status of these series on DVD in Australia.**

Hey Freaks,
I want to checkout Dragon ball and see what all the fuss is about. So where to I begin... I want to take it from the start. So which DVDs do I pickup first?

Don't do it! The fights go on forever, and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

All you'll see is a bunch of dudes powering up growling for 10 episodes straight.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :emperor

All you'll see is a bunch of dudes powering up growling for 10 episodes straight.

Yeah, I kinda left that part out. :lol But in DB's defense its still one of those must sees despite its flaws.

Yeah, that's how I remember it being like whenever I saw it. But I thought if I watched it properly I'd understand those bits.

Yeah, that's how I remember it being like whenever I saw it. But I thought if I watched it properly I'd understand those bits.

Then hands down, stick with Dragon Ball, then progress to DBZ. I remember when I first started watching the series, I began watching DBZ, then went back to DragonBall. And I wish I would have watched DragonBall first, just because of all of the little ties in that you wouldn't appreciate or even realize (ie. Goku learning the Kamehameha blast, the begining of the Red Ribbon Army, etc.) You will definitely appreciate the show more if you watch everything from the true beginning to end.

Besides, Dragonball is 10x funnier than DBZ. I still remember at some of the remarks by young Goku and Master Roshi.:lol

That's true too. Dragonball doesn't really get the credit it deserves like its counterpart DBZ, but then again when you have a show as impressive as DBZ its easy to forget about the earlier years...

Start with Dragon Ball and work your way up through DBZ. It will mean that much more when you see Son Goku go Super Saiya-jin if you start at the beginning.

yeaaa dude start at dragonball then DBZ.

funanimation is got all the seasons of DBZ now till cell saga in stores now.

dragonball was ok but once you get to DBZ ohh man best anime ever made.

dont listen to people trying to bash DBZ. It is the biggest anime known world wide for being so great.

the storyline rocks !!

give it a try man !

Back