PDA

View Full Version : Lost scenes from Fritz Lang's Metropolis re-discovered after 80 years!!!

IronFingaz
07-04-2008, 08:02 AM
The original, longer version of Metropolis was found in Buenos Aires by a museum director after have been lost for almost 80 years. Unfortunately i havnt had the pleasure of seeing it yet but as a serious film fan, this is very exciting news. And the company who own's the rights, Kino International, have already confirmed that it will be released on DVD and Bleu-Ray (:D) next year.

You can read more here...

http://www.zeit.de/online/2008/27/metropolis-vorab-englisch

Darth Waller
07-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I thought we'd never see this stuff. Awesome! :rock

Batty
07-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Very interesting. Now if someone can just find a copy of LAM I'll be happy.

DarkArtist81
07-04-2008, 08:40 AM

:lol True that.

Metropolis is amazing enough as it is.... I can't wait to see this new restored and expanded version. Great that they found this!

Rogue Trooper
07-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately i havnt had the pleasure of seeing it yet but as a serious film fan, this is very exciting news.

Wow!, never thought the movie watching machine that you are had not seen this.

Its a great film but ive never seen it in anything in near good quality and i was sure there was plot holes.

Always think its great when new films are discovered. And when old Doctor Whos are discovered abroad its great new after the BBC destroyed the original prints during the 70's.

Ultimate Weapon
07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I read about this over at www.thedgitalbits.com. I'm excited to pick up the new DVD that will be coming - luckily (or unluckily depending on your point of view) I never picked up the previous releases so getting the new one will be a pretty cool event. This is an amazing bit of film history - incredible that after all this time the footage was unearthed. Can't wait! :rock

Darklord Dave
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I saw the Moroder version which I actually liked. But apparently this new version only has 2 more minutes than the longest known pre-existing print. Not sure how much more story 2 minutes can hold.

Alice Adrenochrome
07-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, all I can say is that I'm happy I haven't bought any previous DVD version yet. At $31, the 2 disk edition which is the only I know to be available here in EU is not exactly cheap. Looking forward to getting this more recent version when it comes out.

IronFingaz
07-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Wow!, never thought the movie watching machine that you are had not seen this.

Its a great film but ive never seen it in anything in near good quality and i was sure there was plot holes.

Always think its great when new films are discovered. And when old Doctor Whos are discovered abroad its great new after the BBC destroyed the original prints during the 70's.

:lol I know, i'm embarrest by it. But i'm definitely getting the new version next year and if i stmble across a good deal on a previous version, i might get it.

Darth Caedus
07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I LOVE old movies, had to watch this one twice in a film class, but I don't know, I always found Metropolis boring.....

Dr.Mirakle32
07-05-2008, 12:20 AM
I am a HUGE fan of classic sci-fi and horror. Don't get me wrong, I also love silent films, such as Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and the films of Lon Chaney. Visually Metropolis is a true groundbreaking masterpiece. The work they put into the special effects was a tremendous effort. Artistically, this film deserves all of it's praise. But story wise, I thought it wasn't very good, confusing, and like Caedus, I thought it was boring. Please don't shoot me.

Kuzeh
04-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Ok,
Sorry for the Necropost, but sweet news!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44528

I am – Hercules!!
Amazing, glorious news!!

That new 25-minutes-longer version of Fritz Lang’s “Metropolis” we’ve all be hearing about -- the one believed lost forever until two summers ago -- is coming to Graumann’s Chinese in Hollywood April 25, then rolling out to “all major markets throughout the US and Canada” beginning in May, according to a press release issued Monday!

Earlier reports put the theatrical release in summer and the home edition in December.

But look!

Kino International Releases
the new restoration of
Fritz Lang's Masterpiece
THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS
New York, April 5, 2010 - Kino International is proud to announce the North American release of the new restoration of Fritz Lang's 1927 science fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS, now with 25 minutes of lost footage and the original Gottfried Huppertz score.

This new 147-minute version, being released as THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS, premiered on February 12 at the Berlin Film Festival and will have its first US showing on April 25 at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, as part of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

The film's national theatrical release will commence on May 7, with a NY premiere at Film Forum, and on April 14, at Laemle's Royal Theater in Los Angeles - followed by runs in all major markets throughout the US and Canada. The DVD and Blu-ray release is set for November of this year.

Seldom has the rediscovery of a cache of lost footage ignited such widespread curiosity as did the announcement, in July 2008, that an essentially complete copy of Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS had been found.

CUTS AND MAJOR RESTORATIONS:

When it was first screened in Berlin on January 10, 1927, the sci-fi epic ran an estimated 153 minutes. After its premiere engagement, in an effort to maximize the film's commercial potential, the film's distributors (Ufa in Germany, Paramount in the U.S.) drastically shortened METROPOLIS, which had been a major disappointment at the German box office.

By the time it debuted in the states latter that year, the film ran approximately 90 minutes (exact running times are difficult to determine because silent films were not always projected at a standardized speed).

METROPOLIS went on to become one of the cornerstones of science fiction cinema foreshadowing BLADE RUNNER and THE MATRIX to name just a few recent examples. Testament to its enduring popularity, the film has undergone numerous restorations in the intervening decades.

In 1984, the film was reissued with additional footage, color tints, and a pop rock score (but with many of its intertitles removed) by music producer Giorgio Moroder. A more archival restoration was completed in 1987, under the direction of Enno Patalas of the Munich Film Archive, in which missing scenes were represented with title cards and still photographs. More recently, the 2001 restoration combined footage from four archives and ran at a triumphant 124 minutes. It was widely believed that this would be the most complete version of Lang's film that contemporary audiences could ever hope to see.

But, in the summer of 2008, the curator of the Buenos Aires Museo del Cine discovered a 16mm dupe negative that was considerably longer than any existing print. It included not merely a few additional snippets, but 25 minutes of "lost" footage, about a fifth of the film, that had not been seen since its Berlin debut. The discovery of such a significant amount of material called for yet another restoration.

This was executed by Anke Wilkening of the Murnau Stiftung (Foundation), the German institution that is the caretaker of virtually all pre 1945 German films, Martin Koerber Film Department Curator of the Deutche Kinemateque and on the music side, by Frank Stoebel.

The result of their work was first seen by the public on February 12 at the 1600 seat Friederichstrasse Palaste, accompanied by a 60-piece orchestra playing the original 1927 score by Huppertz. The public and critical response was ecstatic.

Regarding the quality of the added footage Ms. Wilkening has said:

"The work on the restoration teaches us once more that no restoration is ever definitive," says Wilkening, "Even if we are allowed for the first time to come as close to the first release as ever before, the new version will still remain an approach. The rediscovered sections which change the film's composition, will at the same time always be recognizable through their damages as those parts that had been lost for 80 years."

Further information on THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS and annotations of all recovered scenes - as well as images, clips and theatrical playdates - will be uploaded to the new Metropolis website, which goes live on April 15. The site will be hosted at www.kino.com/metropolis.

Darth Waller
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
The DVD and Blu-ray release is set for November of this year.

:rock :rock :rock :rock

IronFingaz
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
:rock :joy :rock :joy :rock :joy :rock :joy :rock And a :woo to max out the smilie limit.

lcummins
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I hope it makes it to an Austin area theater!!! :rock

ProgMatinee
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I regret not seeing an electronic band (sorta like Tangerine Dream or Goblin) play during a showing of this film a few years ago.

Sweet Rabbit
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
damn, I was about to watch this on netflix. might as well wait now :monkey3

devilof76
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Can't believe this is going to be shown in theaters again (and complete!!! :drool). The best movie news in ages.

Batty
04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I hope it's in 3D! :lol

galactiboy
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM
That is some of the coolest news I've heard in a long time... I really hope I'm able to see this in a theater :rock

galactiboy
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM

:lol :lol that will be the next theatrical release, or when we get a remake directed by Michael Bay :lol

devilof76
04-06-2010, 09:18 PM

:slap

:thwak

:lol :rotfl :lol

Reinhardt
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Awesome news!!

EVILFACE
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
They need to make a 3D release of it!!

awwww Batty beat me to it!!

Hulksmashed
04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I saw the Moroder version which I actually liked. But apparently this new version only has 2 more minutes than the longest known pre-existing print. Not sure how much more story 2 minutes can hold.

"Luke I am your father" only too 10 seconds... :lol

IronFingaz
04-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Kino's Metropolis site and trailer for the theatrical re-release.

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/

pixletwin
04-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Wow I had no idea there was a re-release in the works. CAn't wait for it. :rock

Batty
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
It's playing in L.A., NY...and Cleveland. I guess I'll have to pick up the Blu-ray.

devilof76
04-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Not even Boston???

:banghead

Darth Waller
04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GhvnxcKTws&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GhvnxcKTws&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Darth Waller
05-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Here are Eureka's Masters of Cinema specs (courtesy of DVD Talk):

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/besh1/blut.png

* 150-minute feature film (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world)
* Special-edition packaging with lavish wraparound sleeve and embossed printing
* Pristine film transfers presented on Blu-ray (1080p) and DVD (2-disc)
* Newly translated optional English subtitles
* Full-length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum
* Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010) documentary about the film
* 56-page booklet featuring new essays, archival interviews, vintage production stills, and more
* Further extras to be announced nearer the release date

The documentary "Die Reise nach Metropolis" is 52 minutes long.

:drool

GrueSam
05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
That's a bingo, right there. :lecture

IronFingaz
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wgh3P0eqLmk/SPTCahsacrI/AAAAAAAABgE/Rk7Uz0adMzc/s400/drooling_homer.gif

Batty
05-02-2010, 12:24 PM
That's a bingo, right there. :lecture

:lecture :lecture :lecture

pjam
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Or the missing Spider Pit scene from King Kong.

Great news on Met though, truly an amazing film. I remember seeing it in a theatre in the 1980s with that Rock Soundtrack. Anyone remember that CD with Billy Squier, etc? It was a great sndtrk.

Darth Waller
05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Great news on Met though, truly an amazing film. I remember seeing it in a theatre in the 1980s with that Rock Soundtrack. Anyone remember that CD with Billy Squier, etc? It was a great sndtrk.

That's the Moroder version. I actually bought that on DVD recently since I've never seen it. I figured I might as well see every version of Metropolis available.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1223/purchasea.jpg

The Monster
07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I hope it makes it to an Austin area theater!!! :rock

San Francisco Silent Film Festival San Francisco CA July 16
UC Santa Barbara Santa Barbara CA October 21 Only
Colorado
Landmark Chez Artiste Denver CO Opens June 11
Florida
Mos' Art Theatre Lake Park FL July 23-29
Lake Worth Playhouse Lake Worth FL July 23-29
Tampa Theatre Tampa FL August 29
Illinois
Music Box Theatre Chicago IL Opens June 4
Maryland
Senator Theatre Baltimore MD Opens June 11
Massachusetts
Capitol Theatre Arlington MA Opens June 11
West Newton Cinema West Newton MA Opens June 11
Michigan
Michigan Theater Ann Arbor MI September 12 & 14
Minnesota
Landmark Lagoon Cinema Minneapolis MN Opens June 4
Missouri
Landmark Tivoli Theatre St. Louis MO Opens July 23
Tivoli Cinemas Kansas City MO Opens August 6
New York
Proctors Theatre Schenectady NY September 26-27
Ohio
Cleveland Cinematheque Cleveland OH July 16-17
Wexner Center for the Arts Columbus OH August 6-7
Oregon
Cinema 21 Portland OR Opens July 9
Pennsylvania
Landmark Ritz at the Bourse Philadelphia PA Opens July 23
Quebec
Festival Fantasia Montreal QC July 28
Texas
Bijou Cinema Bistro San Antonio TX July 27 only
Plaza Classic Film Festival El Paso TX August 8 only
Washington DC
Avalon Theatre Washington DC Opens July 9
Wisconsin
Milwaukee Film Festival Milwaukee WI Sept 23-Oct 3 (screening dates TBA)

galactiboy
07-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Bummer I won't be able to make any of the screenings... guess I have to wait for the Blu release :monkey2

The Monster
07-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Bummer I won't be able to make any of the screenings... guess I have to wait for the Blu release :monkey2

Maybe you will. :)

UPCOMING PLAYDATES (more engagements to be announced) :D

galactiboy
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM
That's good news... I'd love to see this in the theater.

The Ween
07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Oooooooooooo......me wantie!!!! :drool

Sweet Rabbit
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
F! only showin' it in cleveland...:slap

plasmid303
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM

* 150-minute feature film (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world)
* 56-page booklet featuring new essays, archival interviews, vintage production stills, and more

Oh my god! How'd I miss this? What a cool looking package. :clap

The Ween
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
F! only showin' it in cleveland...:slap
Cleveland and Columbus, both just too far for me to drive to see it.

The Ween
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Do you have the link to this on DVD Talk? I can't seem to find it. :(

Darth Waller
07-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Do you have the link to this on DVD Talk? I can't seem to find it. :(

Here you go! :duff
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/563460-official-masters-cinema-blu-ray-thread-5.html

Sweet Rabbit
07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Cleveland and Columbus, both just too far for me to drive to see it.

same here :monkey4

The Monster
07-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Look what else is on the way guys, A MUST BUY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:clap:D

http://www.hollywood-collectibles.com/metropolis.html

Maria The Robot WILL BE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :monkey5

The Monster
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM
If they can put Metropolis on Blu-ray why not do the same for all of Universal's Classic Monster Films?

devilof76
07-14-2010, 03:17 AM
I think I missed the Massachusetts screenings. How long are these supposed to run for? Otherwise, I'm roadtripping to Schenectady, and that will be expensive.

Darth Waller
07-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Look what else is on the way guys, A MUST BUY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:clap:D

Cool. I wonder if it will be like the one Sideshow auctioned off.

The Monster
07-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Cool. I wonder if it will be like the one Sideshow auctioned off.

It is a 20 inch full statue from what I hear. :clap for HCG! :D
Sideshow auctioned one off? Got pics?

Darth Waller
07-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Sideshow auctioned one off? Got pics?

Unfortunately not and Google didn't turn up much.

The Monster
07-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately not and Google didn't turn up much.

Cannot wait to see what HCG comes up with for this one! :D The statue will be GRAND I am sure of that HCG's work is always great!:clap :D

Darth Waller
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Cannot wait to see what HCG comes up with for this one! :D The statue will be GRAND I am sure of that HCG's work is always great!:clap :D

So long as it doesn't cost a grand. :monkey1

The Monster
07-14-2010, 08:52 AM
So long as it doesn't cost a grand. :monkey1

Darth Waller, Good one. :lol:rotfl

galactiboy
07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Very interested in a statue of maria... such an iconic design.

Cloud
07-18-2010, 02:51 AM
I've got to pick this up on DVD! :D I think they're going to show it at a local theater, too, in the upcoming weeks. I remember an ad for it.

In related news, my best friend told me I look like doppelganger (evil) Maria. :S

The Monster
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

SHE'S UP!!!!!!!!!!:rock :D

http://www.hollywood-collectibles.com/metropolis_maria.html

plasmid303
08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Whoa. $280? Sold. And it's so limited.

The Monster
08-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Was the one that Sideshow auctioned off as tall as HCG's or more?

The Monster
08-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Guys this is the ONLY picture that I can find of Sideshow's Maria The Robot, Sorry.

Star Puffs
08-18-2010, 04:10 PM

I will prefer one with German packaging (fingers crossed the BluRay from Deutschland in region-free), but that looks amazing.

The Monster
08-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi, Do Sideshow Collectibles have any plans to do a box set for the complete "Metropolis" coming to Blu-ray Disc Nov. 2010 with some type of "Maria The Robot" statue inside of the box set?

Thanks so much for your time Sideshow! :)

Nick

Shropt
08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Guys this is the ONLY picture that I can find of Sideshow's Maria The Robot, Sorry.

http://www.wetacollectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/sideshowdianeauctions.jpg

The Monster
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.wetacollectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/sideshowdianeauctions.jpg

Thanks! :D

The Monster
09-11-2010, 12:01 AM
The Complete "Metropolis" Blu-ray Disc is up for pre-order at amazon!:rock :D

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Metropolis-Blu-ray-Brigitte-Helm/dp/B0040QYROK/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

:D

I wish Sideshow would come up with something special for this one and the King Kong (1933) Blu-ray though. :D

plasmid303
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM

The Complete "Metropolis" Blu-ray Disc is up for pre-order at amazon!:rock :D

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Metropolis-Blu-ray-Brigitte-Helm/dp/B0040QYROK/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I wish Sideshow would come up with something special for this one and the King Kong (1933) Blu-ray though. :D

So, these are two distinctly different releases of the same movie? Are they for different regions?

Darth Waller
09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
So, these are two distinctly different releases of the same movie? Are they for different regions?

That is correct. The one I posted is being released in Region B by Eureka Entertainment. The one The Monster posted is being released in Region A by Kino.

The Monster
09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
That is correct. The one I posted is being released in Region B by Eureka Entertainment. The one The Monster posted is being released in Region A by Kino.

Yes, Region A is the region that the Blu-ray Disc Players are here in the USA. That is why I posted the disc by Kino. :D

plasmid303
09-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Are the releases similar in terms of the on-disc bonus features? As much as I prefer the package art and booklet inclusion of the Eureka release, those are things I can do without as long as the on-disc content on the Kino release is comparable.

Darth Waller
09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Are the releases similar in terms of the on-disc bonus features? As much as I prefer the package art and booklet inclusion of the Eureka release, those are things I can do without as long as the on-disc content on the Kino release is comparable.

Here's the details on Kino's release:

The Blu-ray will have 1080p video, a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack, and supplements will include: Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1; Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film (presented in HD); Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered; and 2010 re-release trailer.

It sounds like the Kino release won't have a full-length audio commentary, but they will include the making of documentary.

plasmid303
09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info, Waller. The Kino release will do. I don't need three versions of the film sitting on my shelf.

The Monster
09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info, Waller. The Kino release will do. I don't need three versions of the film sitting on my shelf.

http://kino.com/blog/?p=651#awp::?p=651 :rock :D

plasmid303
09-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Nice. November 16th. :rock