The Day the Earth Stood Still Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here's the new trailer (played before Hancock), catch it before Fox takes it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrzSu2zZk18

If it's taken down, just hit up youtube, there's like, 2 vids of this put up for every 1 taken down by Fox.

So what do you think? Keanu Reeves makes a serviceable Klaatu, but it still looks and sounds like Keanu Reeves. :lol

EDIT: Updated with a working youtube link.

Last edited:
It looks pretty good. And I think Keanu will be fine as Klaatu. It's not like he has to show a lot of emotion.

Somehow misses something. Saw this at Hancock and was less than excited about it. And I am a HUGE fan of the original, so I need to see Gort to feel better. I know they must be holding him in check for a surprise or something. Hope they don't blow this. I have read the original short story, so I know the REAL ending...hope this is a good one. I am there regardless!

Somehow misses something. Saw this at Hancock and was less than excited about it. And I am a HUGE fan of the original, so I need to see Gort to feel better. I know they must be holding him in check for a surprise or something. Hope they don't blow this. I have read the original short story, so I know the REAL ending...hope this is a good one. I am there regardless!

I believe they show Gort at the very end.
You're right about something missing, this feels more epic then the original and the trailer also lacks the friendliness of Klaatu; here Keanu feels more alien.

But it's just a teaser trailer, hopefully the movie will be good.

another for the $$$$$$$$$$$ remake of an old classic wtf is the point this movie will suck and probably make me hate the original after i see it

Last edited:
Just caught that. Missed him entirely live at the theatre...

Lookie here!

GORT1a.jpg

If anyone has a better quality scan, it would be appreciated. :D
Love old Gort! Fave movie robot! :rock

Another entry in Hollywood's long slow crawl into total creative bankruptcy.

ZERO interest here. Love the original too much.

This looks good to me. Hollywood will probably play with it enough, to make only the title resemble the original, thus a new movie, leaving the original intact. Doesn't matter anyway, the original is a classic, and mucking around with the story isn't going to change that.

Not everything has to be new to be creative. The nostalgic movies, we all know and love, will always be that, to us that feel that way. The newer generation isn't that interested in researching old films. They want instant gratification. Bigger and better is best. Hollywood is just giving the public what it wants, and they're working to a younger audience and pulling them in. Hey, I'm old and I'll go and see it, or wait for the Dvd, but I want to see it. I'm definitely not going to turn my back on it because of whose in it, or how it's done.

The story is cool, and so will the film be.

It looks interesting to me. I'll give it a chance. It had a very Close Encounters of the Third Kind feel to it with all of the scientists there watching the Klaatu lie detector test.

It will be interesting to see what more info they release, like a longer trailer.

I couldn't even finish watching the trailer because I got so disgusted!! I don't even think the filmmaker's even WATCHED the original!!

First, terrible casting with Keanu Reeves.

Second, the original hinged on a moral message that the galaxy strives to be peaceful and Mankind's barbarism coupled with nuclear power is a threat to the more advanced races. Shape up or you will be removed as a threat. That was the intention of Klaatu's visit.

So WTF is with the scenes of extraterrestrial attacks?!?!?! This is just another F'N War of the Worlds!!!!

There are some remakes which manage to be terrific, but this is one that is a steaming pile of CRAP!!!

I don't even think the filmmaker's even WATCHED the original!!

They shouldnt have too should they ???

They are making their own interpretation ??? afterall they are not getting the colouring pens out on the 1951 version ???

Theres loadsa movies that inspire me why not pay a homage to them ?? ! or draw on them for your own interpretations of a narrative

Suppose Peter Jacksons "Lord of the Rings" was crap too ! cause it looked FA like Ralph Bakshi's animated version ?

or "Star Wars"

as that was nicked totally from Arthurian Legend

Or is it now instinct to assume its crap and trash it secretly hoping its gonna be good ?

It's quite understandable for people to be apprehensive towards remakes - I completely understand. However, sometimes the remake simply needs to be seen on its own merits and not judged in regards to its predecessor. So I'm trying to look at this one with open eyes.

Considering that a lot of sci-fi films that get churned out are pretty lame, I'm excited about the prospect of this one and am willing to give it a chance. I'm actually a person who likes Keanu (in the right context) and I think the atmosphere of the cinematography shown in the trailer looks well conceived.

Here's hoping it turns out to be as entertaining as the original, even if it does not laboriously follow the original word for word.

They shouldnt have too should they ???

They are making their own interpretation ??? afterall they are not getting the colouring pens out on the 1951 version ???

Theres loadsa movies that inspire me why not pay a homage to them ?? ! or draw on them for your own interpretations of a narrative

Suppose Peter Jacksons "Lord of the Rings" was crap too ! cause it looked FA like Ralph Bakshi's animated version ?

or "Star Wars"

Or is it now instinct to assume its crap and trash it secretly hoping its gonna be good ?

Well if they're going to remake it, then yeah, they should at least stick to the premise of the original. It's not like I have a problem with the special effects or setting it in modern times. My problem with it is that it really looks as though they've completely changed the entire theme and message behind the original but slapped the same character names and title on it.

If they weren't trying to package it as a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still and simply made it a brand-new science fiction thriller, then I'd say it looks damn good.

But it is NOT The Day the Earth Stood Still from what I just saw.

As for the comparisons between King Arthur and Star Wars, it's not the same because Lucas did not set Star Wars in England with a boy named Arthur who lead a group called the Knights of the Round Table. It took inspiration from the legend, and that's fine.

But that is not the case here as I explained above.

I'm actually a person who likes Keanu (in the right context) and I think the atmosphere of the cinematography shown in the trailer looks well conceived.

Given the right context, I like Keanu Reeves too. I felt he was well cast in The Devil's Advocate and The Matrix Trilogy. Even Point Break and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure were good matches for him. I just don't think he's right for Klaatu.

or "Star Wars"

Indeed the thematic device of the epic hero and related struggles are nicked from such legends, as are all such tales (see Joseph Campbell), however narrative-wise Star Wars was nicked from Kurosawa's 'The Hidden Fortress', so much so that the purchase of the rights to the film were considered.

Given the right context, I like Keanu Reeves too. I felt he was well cast in The Devil's Advocate and The Matrix Trilogy. Even Point Break and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure were good matches for him. I just don't think he's right for Klaatu.

So far I rather like the more detached messenger feel to the character. Our perceptions of extra-terrestrials today are considerably different from those in the 1950's. Either it will be interesting to have a more indifferent Klaatu, or it won't have the same emotional connection as a friendly, concerned Klaatu. I guess we'll see.

Back