Should SST re-issue their classic Universal Monsters?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to see the Universal Monsters line revamped?

• Yes! We need the classic monsters V2.O!

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No! They're classics, leave them be!

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

abake

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
Reaction score
Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, the Wolfman, Nosferatu, the Creature, the Mummy, the Mask of the Red Death, etc...

A lot of us had our first contact with SST through their fantastic line of classic monsters. Back then, they were absolutely unique and a dream come true for many fans.
Looking back, they (nostalgia notwithstanding) do look a bit dated, especially in the outfit/tailoring department. Some also have very simplistic or poor paint apps, like Frankenstein's monster and Dracula.

Wouldn't it be nice to see these great creatures revisited?
SST has come a long way from their beginnings in the 12" format and I am sure they could make some of these figures much better nowadays than back then. Also, the market for expensive 12" figures is larger now than it was back then. Imagine Dracula, Frankenstein and Nosferatu with actual shirts, with better paint apps, imagine the Mummy with the newly designed body.

I would love to see some of these figures re-issued.

I would like all new versions of the early monsters (frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman) in proper scale and a Mummy you can actually pose.

voted leave them be. classic should remain classic.

Doing so would only open a can of worms. Why no revisit Patient Zero, the Balrog, Dr. Doom PF, etc. etc?

Would I buy them, probably. Would I be happy about it, not really.

I'm indifferent... I have the originals and probably wouldn't feel the need to upgrade, especially if they were $90 a pop.

If the upgrades were different enough from the originals (like the Monster from Bride PF versus the original PF) then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The last few monster 12" figures were very good and better done than the originals, so if the early ones could be brought up to those standards, it would be pretty cool.

For me there's no such thing as too many Universal Monster collectibles, and as others have said, Sideshow's tailoring and sculpting detail have improved since the early days. So I say, bring 'em on!

No, leave them alone and continue on, by making new monsters, like Ygor and Maleva.

My initial reaction is that as long as they are *new* and not *reissues* then I'm all for it. Offer up the classic monster line to Sideshow's new, larger, customer base. New interest in the monster line could turn up interest in figures not yet done, like Ygor.

Then I look at ebay where I find you can get a lot of the originals at a pretty decent price. I could see if the old figures were unobtainable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So I say yes to new versions of monster figs, but I don't think that it's likely.

I'd like to see a reissue on the original Frankenstein Monster, Dracula and Wolfman at least. Something along the lines of the Bond Icon's Series. I don't know how much of an improvement in sculpting there could be since they're purty' near perfect now, but better paint, costuming and improved bodies would be nice. And it would be worth a price premium for hardcore collectors I think.

If the upgrades were different enough from the originals (like the Monster from Bride PF versus the original PF) then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The last few monster 12" figures were very good and better done than the originals, so if the early ones could be brought up to those standards, it would be pretty cool.

I will take any new Monsters!!!!!!:D:D:D

A complete resculpt of the Wolfman would be welcome, with some padding in the body. As for re-issuing them...No. What is the point of their being collectible, if they don't stay that way?

The Universal Monsters aren't the most popular line anyway. Most of the figures can be purchased at retail or less. Exceptions being wave 5 of the 8 inch set. Werewolf of London, Mummy, Dracula, Nosferatu and Creature are the only 1/6's that have gone up drastically. The secondary market is ripe for picking up SS product. Monsters can be had more reasonably than just about any other line (except maybe Van Helsing:D). It's probably not worth it to Sideshow, and would just make a lot of the people who have been collecting these from the beginning annoyed. Put something new out...don't release toys that are destined to be classics. Especially when demand just isn't there. I'm just happy they didn't quit making Monsters altogether. Like they did the poor old Planet of the Apes and X-Files.:lol

You see, that is one thing I'll never understand: the "collectability" thing...
Why is something suddenly worth less to the owner because there are more of it? Besides, the whole point is that these should be improved figures, with new clothing, bodies and paint apps. New headsculpts? Sure, why not. Frank is the only HS of the four I have that I think can't really be improved upon, I find it perfect as is. Nosferatu and Dracula could be better IMHO.

You see, that is one thing I'll never understand: the "collectability" thing...
Why is something suddenly worth less to the owner because there are more of it? Besides, the whole point is that these should be improved figures, with new clothing, bodies and paint apps. New headsculpts? Sure, why not. Frank is the only HS of the four I have that I think can't really be improved upon, I find it perfect as is. Nosferatu and Dracula could be better IMHO.

I never said they would be worth less to me. Please don't hear what I'm not saying. What I am saying is this. Part of the joy of collecting is having unique pieces that make people go "wow...I've never seen that before", or "yeah, that's a rare piece". If something is in a constant state of perpetual re-release, and everyone has them falling off their shelves, the "wow" factor gets changed into "big deal, I've seen those everywhere." No matter how well sculpted or well painted, continued mass production of an item that is collectible only serves to make the item appear "common". Just the way it is.

As for going back and re-doing other monsters already done before...the demand sadly just probably just isn't there. I think the Nosferatu and Dracula are great. I think the Wolfman sucks. The body is lame, loose jointed and too skinny. The face is off. But if I had to choose between them going backwards and revisiting Wolfman or releasing an Ygor or Dracula's Daughter or Dr. Frankenstein.....Well, the Wolfman I've got is just fine.:D. See what I'm saying? As for Frankenstein being perfect...well we disagree here too. I think The Bride of Frankenstein Karloff figure is perfect. But the first one could be better.:angelsmil. You proved that with your repaint in the other thread.

No problem mate, my comment wasn't really directed towards you. There's a lot of MIB collectors who see their collections as some kind of investment out there...
I understand where you're coming from, but I still don't really get it.
I'm a big fan of Alien, and I'm ecstatic that NECA made the beautiful 22" figure (as well as the 9"). I couldn't care less that these are readily available everywhere. I'm actually really happy that a lot of fellow fans here and on other boards also have it. I also have the Aoshima version, which isn't easy to get, and I'm seeing how I can hook up other collectors with one, Because to me it's more fun to share the geeky happiness of having such cool toys. See, I don't get the exclusivity factor, it's just meaningless to me.

I will take another look at the FB Monster! I guess I never really looked at it 'cause I'm a bigger fan of the first movie. And yes indeed, the wolf man needs a different body! I wonder how hard it would be to customize a figure...
Has anybody done that?

Dr. Frankenstein would be really cool!

They weren't a stellar money maker for them the first time around. I doubt they would devote the resources to another round. Of course, I'd buy them if they did.:D

Back