The GODZILLA Film Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Walker

Digging my way out!
Reaction score
Had to do it! Why wasn't one here already????

So, anyway, next weekend, in Chicago, there will be G-Fest XV, see here (hit G-Fest tab at top of page to see more):
G-FAN
Anyway, I wish I could be there, then my dream of holding the original King Kong, and shaking the hand of the original Godzilla in my lifetime, would be complete! But, I will have to settle for an autograph...
That's ok! :banana
Will post pics and another YouTube vid the moment it is in hand!

Anyway, I will post some of my figure collection again here sometime, but hope that anyone with news of new movies???? Or simply info and interest in the many, many old ones, will share some stuff here.

I for one, love the 1954 original GOJIRA, in it's original JAPANESE version, and also love Destroy All Monsters, the 1993 version of Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla, and more, but those are my favorites hands down. I have on DVD all of them, so that precludes whether I have seen them all. Love the big G! :rock

So, any Kaiju fans among us? Anyone with stills and info?
BRING THEM FORTH! There must be more TRUE Godzilla films! We cannot be done here! Especially after Cloverfield....:D

I love Godzilla movies, big fan of the earlier stuff not so much the 80's to 90's.
The only things I have are the Godzilla christmas ornaments which are fun.
Thanks for starting the thread Les!

I think I have only seen one or two Zilla flicks when I was a kid. I dont really remember liking them.

What would you guys recommend for a non Zilla fan to watch?

You can count on me as a contributor in here.

My pride and joy Godzilla collectible, one of my favorite suits.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

What would you guys recommend for a non Zilla fan to watch?

It's an interesting series because in 1985 they did a sequel to the first film after like a dozen others.

My recommend list is:

Godzilla (1954 black and white), also known as Gojira, the very first, classic.
Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1975)
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs. Destroyah

Nothing will beat the Matthew Broderick Godzilla remake!!!

godzilla-monster-edition-large.jpg

They took a tired old outdated concept and monster and made it something worth watching!!

I'm pissed there is no sequel!

010.gif

Ahhh... GFan... I remember going to the 2nd GFan con in Chicago...great time. A small con but still very nice. They had a costume contest on Sat night which was awesome. It's a great time to bring the kids to as well. I used to have most of the Bandai figures but had to sell them off on ebay 'cause I needed the dough. I still have the Marui R/C '54 version and the Biollante version along with the Mothra. I don't plan on letting those get away anytime soon. The only Bandai G I have now is the 1975 version.

Is there a new G movie coming out?! The last one I didn't really care for. Godzilla Final War..ughh.. seemed to Power Ranger for me...

Is there a new G movie coming out?! The last one I didn't really care for. Godzilla Final War..ughh.. seemed to Power Ranger for me...

Unless something changes, Godzilla Final Wars was to be the last adventure of Godzilla, it was a strange movie, not sure what they were smoking when they wrote it, it seemed like how do we get all of Godzilla's foes back in one more movie, nice watching him kick the ass of a mockingly poor CGI American Godzilla.

Nothing will beat the Matthew Broderick Godzilla remake!!!

They took a tired old outdated concept and monster and made it something worth watching!!

I'm pissed there is no sequel!

010.gif

Man, for a second I was really worried :rotfl

To me the original is still the best, and King... try and get the non-Burr version of Godzilla, its very cool to see the unaltered version released in Japan :rock

Man, for a second I was really worried :rotfl

To me the original is still the best, and King... try and get the non-Burr version of Godzilla, its very cool to see the unaltered version released in Japan :rock

The Classic Media Gojira DVD released a few years ago for the anniversary features the original Japanese and the Burr versions. It's cool to see both, but I like Burr if you're going to use someone like that for a Godzilla film, a highlight of Godzilla 1985 as well. I think Godzilla 1985 actually got more distorted when it was Americanized than Gojira.

This is a rare image from my personal collection. When I was 5, our local newspaper ran an article about power lines and safety or something like that and used a picture of Godzilla breaking through the lines in the first film to illustrate the article, I cut it out and brought it to show and tell at school one time and my teacher was nice enough to laminate it for me and I still have it to this day, sturdy laminate too, almost like hard plastic.

1.jpg

Some shots of my 2 favorite Godzilla suits.

2.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

These first are from a set of Japanese lobby cards from the film I scored off eBay, I also hunted down a cool mini book on Godzilla 1985. They actually built like a 25-30 foot tall animatronic Godilla, it only moved from the hips up, but they used it on all the closeup shots of his head. In the original Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, you can tell the difference between the full shots of the guy in the suit and the closeups; in Godizlla they used a hand puppet for closeups and the robot in 1985.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

That's a great collection, MF!

I've seen most of the Godzilla films; admittedly I haven't caught a couple of the classics and a few of the more recent ones 2003 and beyond.

The oldies that I have missed I've read about in this Godzilla compendium:

61E7QGNMMCL._SS500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Official-God...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214769406&sr=1-5

Is there any other one like this? It's a bit old now, since it was first published back in 1998 or so (when I first bought it). It doesn't cover any of the new flicks '98 and beyond.

Seeing Godzilla 2000 in the movie theater was a pretty big deal to me. I wish it performed a little better so we could get more in the States, but it was not meant to be. As far as the Godzilla sequels go, that's one of my faves (both movie and suit).

The original Japanese cut of Gojira played at the Times in Milwaukee a few years ago, but I was out of town during that time. :monkey2

Last edited:
Ya, I missed seeing Gojira on the big screen, but I too took joy in seeing Godzilla 2000 in the theater, the first and only time I've seen a Japanese Godzilla film on the big screen. Sadly, in the U.S. Godzilla is a very niche franchise and doesn't have the power to capture box office numbers to justify running it.

I got to see 1985 on the big screen... that was a great being 7 years old at the time. Although I haven't seen it since, and didn't even realize there was a non-americanized :lol

And I have that DVD set as well, I love it :rock

I got to see 1985 on the big screen... that was a great being 7 years old at the time. Although I haven't seen it since, and didn't even realize there was a non-americanized :lol

I have a bootleg from eBay of the Japanese box set copy, I'm sure the American DVD release will have it too, who knows when they'll get around to that movie though, I think it's the only one that hasn't been on DVD in the states yet.

I have a bootleg from eBay of the Japanese box set copy, I'm sure the American DVD release will have it too, who knows when they'll get around to that movie though, I think it's the only one that hasn't been on DVD in the states yet.

I think you're right... even though it really isn't the best. To me they did at least attempt to give a nod to the anti weapon of mass destruction message of the original.

When I was a kid my mom always laughed when ever the Super X was mentioned... as that was the same name as a drug store chain we had in Ohio when I was a kid. So an advanced fighter with the name of the Drug Store just isn't that impressive :lol

Back