GI Joe RESOLUTE: New PG-13 animated series for 2009!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zITV5dmBl3k

Part 1: New G.I. Joe Animation for 2009.

G.I. Joe Absolute

Adult themed, PG-13
Highly detailed animation
Designed to bring adult fans back into the market
10 5 minute episodes, 1 10 minute season finale
No distribution decided upon yet.
Could be webisodes, could be tv special, could be DVD, or all 3.
Starts in first quarter 2009
NO LASERS. NO PARACHUTING.
Will have deaths.

Little to no blood (but, from what we've seen, that won't matter)
Focus on core early characters.
No Cobra La.

Producers: Sam Register Jaoquim Desantos
Writer: Warren Ellis
Lead Animator: Dave Johnson

1 minute promo animation shown. Breakdown:

Duke and Roadblock are running through the jungle being chased by cobra troopers. Being shot at. You see Roadblock from behind, running, he stops, turns around, and says "You want some of this!? Come on, come on!" and unloads his machine gun into the camera. Heavy sound of loud powerful gunfire, shell casings fly everywhere.

They continue on and take cover inside what looks like a Cobra bunker. Had a cobra symbol on building. Duke radios in for backup, says the LZ is hot. They return fire back and forth with the Cobra Troopers outside, who are moving in using real world cover fire formations.

Then, we pan up, and see the action from above, when you hear a sword bling. A Cobra Trooper looks up, and he sees Snake Eyes dropping down right on his head. Snake Eyes then proceeds to kick ass one by one using hand to hand combat and sword play.

We pan back into Duke and Roadblock, you hear grunts and bones cracking outside, and Duke asks "What the hell is going on out there?" Emphasis on "Hell". Pan back to Snake Eyes, who tosses one of his smaller knifes across the field at a trooper, lands right in the middle of his helmet, he falls. (Don't show the entry, but you get the point. (Fling, pan, hear the pop, heads looking up, falls slowly, etc).

Snake eyes then goes one on one with the last Trooper, flips him over, takes out his sword, thrusts down into the Trooper's chest, and TURNS IT. Stands up, puts sword back in its holder.

Duke and Roadblock come outside, and see all the Troopers dead. He gives a "whooo" type whistle. Roadblock then says "Ninja? I didn't know we had a Ninja." END SCENE.

This story will not be part of the 60 minute story in 2009. It is a stand alone scene they did to show the new tone of the series and what could be done animation and story wise.

They played it 3 times, and the crowd exploded every time. It really was what you've been waiting for from these childhood toy lines as an adult. As they described it in the panel, while you were playing with these toys as a kid, or even watching the shows and reading the comics back then, what we saw today is what we THOUGHT we saw back then. And what we expect, and why the new versions of the old stuff doesn't play with us now. But, this new direction, PG-13 based adult themed entertainment, should fill that gap, and will be focused upon in the upcoming years, for Joe and all brands it fits with. This GI Joe project is however the first of the new direction for Hasbro.

Characters shown:

Duke
Snake Eyes - Goggles
Tunnel Rat
Gung Ho - No chest out
Lady Jaye
Scarlett
Storm Shadow - mask, hood, mix between 2 styles.

Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness confirmed. Lady Jaye more like a Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica type role. Not major player. Cobra Commander is ruthless. Not a clown. Emphasized several times.

Cobra Commander being played by 80s cartoon voice of Tripwire, Charlie Adler.

Ninja moves based on real world techniques.

Real guns, real bullets. No parachuting out of planes right before they blow up. People will die. They said they thought about sniping a guy in a parachute on his way down who actually did make it out of a plane in time.

No direct benchmark for success, will include overall promotion, hits, feedback, news coverage, ratings, eventual DVD sales if sold, etc. But XYZ product making XYZ money doesn't need to happen to continue on, its a brand promotion tool.

Entertainment being done first, and well, to stand on it's own, with product to follow, rather than the reverse. This is first outing with that philosophy.

SHOWED A NEW FLAGG. Updated version, crowd applauded. 2 forward runways in front, all same sticker like applications, and updated but similar rest of body. (Animated version only)

Also, they specifically showed the morgue interior, from the FLAGG. Apparently that will be used a lot.

BOTTOM LINE: AWESOME. WHAT EVERY JOE FAN HAS ALWAYS WANTED.

Last edited:
Re: GI Joe ABSOLUTE: New PG-13 animated series for 2009!

ah... I hope they don't make Snakeyes near unstoppable and all the Joes will be depend on him.

Sounds cool though... could open the doors a bit.

DAAAMN!!!
That sounds absolutely badass! It's everything I wanted in the movie. I'm so glad they didn't base these on that crappy Sommers movie.
:rock

That sounds great! Hopefully this will be better than the crappy movie!

looking forward to that! GO JOE!!

This will blow both the old animated movie and the new live action turd away!!! :rock

This sounds cool, as long as the animation is good and have good character designs this could be really awesome!

It lists the lead animator as Dave Johnson. Is that "the" Dave Johnson, the comic artist? If so, then I think we can safely lay to rests any fear of bad design.

Good to know... it just seems a lot of times cartoons lately is either very simple (Bruce Timesque) designs with great animation, or more complex designs but the animation suffers.

So hoping they can blend the two and give us something worthy of GI Joe :rock

Sounds awesome and i really like the idea 60 minutes long, get to spoend the money on quality intense animation.

"Designed to bring adult fans back into the market" I guess the guys who've seen how the movie going at hasbro decided to do something for the fans and sideshow of course.

So it's basically a 1hr Animated Film.

I'm in. :banana

Sounds a hell of a lot better than that "movie" coming out.

I almost didn't click this thread. I like this idea. It's really the only way to reinvigorate the franchise.

That sounds awesome!! I cant wait:rock :rock :rock

now, thats some good news.

Posted by a Joe Con attendee on the hisstank forums:

The GI Joe:[ABSOLUTE] animation was really neat. I am looking forward to that more than the movie. The best part was that the guys who are working on it seemed very interested in not just making a "shoot em up" cartoon, but knew Joe and seemed to care about it. They mentioned having a 5 year continuity plan ACROSS the board with all entertainment brands..their excitement about the project was infectious to say the least.

This could be just what JOE and its fans need... an antidote to the Sommers film.

I cannot wait to hear/see more! Hopefully there will be something at SDCC about it.

:rock

Last edited:

Sounds good, like the Clone Wars cartoon series from a few years ago. Looks like a G.I. Joe cartoon that will reflect the serious tone of the comics.

Back