PDA

View Full Version : The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

The Mike
06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Here is some info from Stan Lee and Joe Simon themselves:

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!

Source: USAToday

Fans of the Avengers will finally get to see The Avengers as they were intended in the relatively near future. Director Jon Favreau, Iron Man, states that Marvel's intent is to team up the heroes for The Avengers, which is made up of all of the Marvel heroes they have the rights to." Though the lineup for The Avengers in the comics has changed, Favreau says, "…the ones Marvel is talking about now are Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man and Iron Man. I would love to see that."

Wouldn't we all.

With Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk dropping hints already through a scene at the end of Iron Man featuring Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) discussing the Avengers Initiative and Tony Stark showing up at the end of The Incredible Hulk, to tell General Ross about the "team we're putting together", the stage is being set for an epic comic book adventure.

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/marvel-avengers.jpg

Meanwhile, other solo Marvel projects are in the works leading up to the big Avengers debut. Stan Lee and Joe Simon weighed in on the projects.

Thor

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm19/bigred4595/150097-thor_400.jpg

Scheduled for a June 4, 2010 release date, disabled medical student Donald Blake discovers a hammer, Mjolnir, that transforms him into the Norse warrior (god) Thor. Years ago, the model Fabio was brought in to discuss playing the part. Lee recalls, "Someone brought him up to my office to see if he could play Thor…Visually, he would have been good, but in those days we weren't even in a position to do a movie." Lee says Thor "…will have to be someone big and strong and kind of blondish. And there should be a nobility."

Ant Man

http://www.samruby.com/Heroes/Antman/AntmanGrow.gif

No release date for the solo film yet. Biochemist Hank Pym develops a means to alter his size as well as communicate with and control insects. "There's never been a hero like this in the movies," Lee says. "I did one comic book called The Man in the Ant Hill about a guy who shrunk down and there were ants or bees chasing him. That sold so well that I thought making him into a superhero might be fun."

The First Avenger: Captain America

http://nineteenthirtynine.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/Capfire.jpg

Cap should be arriving May 6, 2011. In 1941, Private Steve Rogers volunteers for an experiment with a super-soldier-serum that made him the first (and only) super-soldier for the U.S. to combat the Nazi threat. "We had him peeling spuds," creator Joe Simon recalls. "The government shot him up with a super-serum, which made him the first of what was to be an army of superheroes. We were a war-consumed nation, just like today," he says. "Hitler was a comic foil for our character, and every comic sold out that first year."

And of course, all of these characters will be tied together by Nick Fury of SHIELD: Supreme Headquaters, Interantional Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division.

http://www.allaboutduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/samnick.jpg

Since this IS a different property all together I figured we can keep discussion in a localized place instead of scattered. And figures ARE crossed that HT makes figures of all of them!

El Roranous
06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh man- what a great time to be a Marvel fan!! :rock

Rook
06-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm still pulling for Vladimir Kulich for Thor. ( Kulich IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0474520/))

Brad Pitt can be the puny Dr. Donald Blake, but there should be two actors playing the different rolls.

Agent0028
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I really have no interest in an Ant Man movie.... But I'm excited about all the others!

Bardoon
06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
"The Avengers" will be the BIGGEST upcoming comic movie for a long time with the greatest array of talent and casting put together. I really hope that Marvel will handle the movie with a lot of care and not only put the attention (and money) towards a great cast, BUT ALSO A GREAT CREW. Get a fantastic script (a la Iron Man, Spider-man 1 & 2) and you might have the greatest comic book movie of ALL TIME.

Entropy
06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Iron Man , Capt. America, Thor and Hulk sound great but Screw Ant-Man and replace him with Vision or better yet a female like Black Widow or Ms. Marvel.

djklambake
06-25-2008, 06:05 PM
My god, this will be great.

SquiderM3
06-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Can't wait for this one!. They better not f#@K it up.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/SquiderM3/Bowen%20Designs/IMG_3606.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/SquiderM3/Bowen%20Designs/IMG_3613.jpg

zoid2323
06-25-2008, 07:21 PM
They better not f#@K it up.

They wont f#@K it up no way no how.:D

vader70450
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
just keep f'in Shumacher and f'in Singer away from them and we should be good

Hew
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
just keep f'in Shumacher and f'in Singer away from them and we should be good

:lol:lol:lol

Eli26
06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Mike is on a record pace for starting the most threads in one single day.

wookilar8
06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Now I'm really wishing that Warner goes ahead with their Justice League movie, so that Marvel can see what works and what doesn't translate to well on film. Not that Marvel needs help, but let DC/Warner show Marvel what not to do.

cablecommander
06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I guess I might be the only one that is looking forward to an Ant-Man movie.

Booyah!
06-30-2008, 06:07 AM
fingers ARE crossed that HT makes figures of all of them!

Preach it, brother!! :rock

Hew
06-30-2008, 07:23 AM
These are the movies I wished--and was confused--they didn't make when I was a kid. But seeing how the AWESOME Cap movie form the '80s turned out, I'm glad they waited until technology was able to more clearly depict the imagination.

Darth Caedus
06-30-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm still pulling for Vladimir Kulich for Thor. ( Kulich IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0474520/))

Brad Pitt can be the puny Dr. Donald Blake, but there should be two actors playing the different rolls.

I think he's a little too old to play Thor. Thor needs to be this larger than life character and it's pretty hard to find a guy who looks like that THAT can actually act.

ilovefreestufftoo
06-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Go Ant-Man!

I can't wait for this movie release. I don't think they are going to screw this movie up. They have 3 years to make this movie and I'm sure they'll take their time on it. I just hope none of the actors die while making the movie. I don't want this movie to be delayed in anyway.

ilovefreestufftoo
06-30-2008, 07:54 AM
I guess I might be the only one that is looking forward to an Ant-Man movie.

You're not the only one dude. :D

ilovefreestufftoo
06-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I think Sasha Mitchell should be Ant-Man

Bardoon
06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Could anyone possibly fathom a HOT TOYS CAPTAIN AMERICA?

My nuts would explode!

Darth Cruel
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Marvel did a great Hulk. That convinces me that they can do any of the Marvel characters justice in a movie. Even characters like Speedball, Dazzler...and Ant-Man.

I am all for an Ant-Man movie. But I think I would like to see something like a Henry Pym movie with a little Ant-Man and a little Giant Man thrown in.

The Mike
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Here is rumor that is going around that states that Cap's cameo wasn't included because they aren't using The Incredible Hulk to introduce Cap but that he had already been found by this point. Here is the picture evidence that Leterrier is referencing as well.

The good news is that so much fuss has been raised about this scene that Louis and the studio are gonna be releasing it on the Intrawebs any day now. No need to wait for the DVD extras for this one!

But what about Monsieur Leterrier’s insistence that the person of Captain America still makes a cameo appearance in the Hulk movie as released? That’s an easy one, pilgrims! If you carefully watch the scene in which General Ross enters the cryogenic chamber to fetch up a dose of Professor Rienstien’s Super Soldier serum, you’ll note that to the right is a mortuary cold chamber door. Guess who’s on the slab in there? Well it’s not Aunt May, Tiger. So there you go, True Believers! Another mystery solved, another magnificent Marvel milestone un-maligned! No need to thank me. Keeping the Faith is what I do!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_kCOf1ksDLOk/SFqGd-5sVAI/AAAAAAAAA5M/OfMXoZU39KI/s400/Hulk_cap_cameo.jpg

Booyah!
07-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Some stuff from Leterrier as of July 21st:

"The Incredible Hulk" has still yet to open in certain countries, including France where director Louis Leterrier is currently doing a promo tour for the superhero flick.

'Matthieu' was in attendance at a screening in Saint Quentin-en-Yvelines last week and filed this report of what went down at the Q&A session afterwards:

"Regarding the sequel, he does not think there would be one, as the movie was not a huge success at the box office, and because he thought you could not tell the same story of "Hulk's anger management issues" too many times. But he's sure that Hulk will make a comeback in the Avengers movie, even if Edward Norton is definitely not contractually bound to do it.

Regarding the existence of a director's cut of the movie, he said he was happy with the current movie and that the 40 minutes of deleted scenes will not be included directly in the movie (but he did not rule this out completely as he later talked about the possibility of seeing all of the scenes in seamless branching). More interesting was the fact that two main scenes had been cut from the movie:

- The first one happens in the beginning of the movie, in Antarctica, where we see Edward Norton trying to kill himself with a gun. This was cut due to the "R" status of this scene. When I mentioned the rumours that Captain America was supposed to have a cameo in this scene, he replied that this was just more a glimpse of his presence than a real cameo itself.

- The second one, with a clock time of 20 minutes, involves Ty Burrell's character, and happens in Liv Tyler's house, where Dr. Lennord Samson tries to understand the duality of Bruce Banner's psychology. This scene was cut because it dragged down/slowed down the movie too much.

Finally, he told us that, as a Frenchman, he could not understand why Marvel was making "Captain America", until he was shown details of the project and became enthusiastic about it, even asking if he could direct it, but Marvel refused. He said he could not tell us which director or main actor were involved, but it seemed these were settled issues."

The Mike
07-25-2008, 06:09 PM
From Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios:

Dr. Doom won't be in the Avengers movie since he's part of the 20th Century Fox contract with Marvel, though he couldn't say whether he might be in future "Avengers" sequel. (Of course, this all depends on whether Marvel ever gets those characters back from Fox.)

Also:

Feige also affirmed that The Incredible Hulk lived up to their expectations and the response from the audience was generally good, and he said that the Hulk will certainly return.

Booyah!
07-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Seems kinda relevant to this thread. Mark Millar will be writing a major upcoming Ultimate universe book. Some of what he says in this interview has me stoked...

NRAMA: What's the scope of the project you're coming back to work on?

MM: It's the biggest, most ambitious Ultimate project so far and even ties in with what Zak Penn is doing on The Avengers movie. He and I have been talking about this because he and Kevin [Feige] and the guys have always said they're essentially doing the Ultimates, right down to Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. This thing is mega and anyone with even an iota of interest in the movies of the comics will be creaming their pants when they see what's planned here. This is my one and only Marvel project between the current stuff and 2010 so I'm putting everything into it. Everything else I'm doing next year is creator-owned from Kick-Ass 2 to Olympus with Bryan Hitch and all the new stuff you don't know about yet.

NRAMA: Any teases of some of the characters you'll be using?

MM: Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Iron Man, Ultimate Blade, Ultimate Punisher, Ultimate Ghost Rider, Ultimate Spidey. You won't believe what I have planned here and this just touches on what's coming up

NRAMA: Finally, and to give you one last chance for a vague-ish but exuberant tease, is the artist someone you've worked with before?

MM: No, but I've dreamed about it. He's probably the biggest artist in the industry. This guy is a superstar and Marvel is really stepping up to the plate with this revamp. It's exciting times.

Even tho I grew up reading Marvel, for some reason the Ultimate and Movie universes appeal to me more so than the 616 stuff these past few years.

Agent0028
07-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Oooh, cool. I like the Ultimate Universe because I was able to get in on the ground floor. The 616 universe is so daunting, even though I find myself getting more and more in to it, I just feel like there's alot I'm still missing.

Ra88
07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Wonder who will be the villian, since they can't use Doom...Ultron, perhaps? Red Skull? Kleiser from Ultimates, or is that to much?

The Mike
10-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Avengers Rumor
Posted at 2:53 PM Oct 10, 2008
• The biggest news is the rumor that the foe in the Avengers movie will actually be the Hulk, according to the screenwriters of Iron Man 2. This makes a great deal of sense to me, as the Avengers fought the Hulk in their first issue (despite him being a founding member), and it worked out great for the first half of The Ultimates as well—I don't know why anyone would change that. But I very much hope that, like The Ultimates, they fight the Hulk in the first half, and fight a real villain in the second. I think it'd be kind of lame if they only fought the Hulk, since it's not like either of them would actually lose. The Avengers are badass enough to fight real big bad guys—the Hulk would be a great appetizer, but don't skip the main course.

Agent0028
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Fighting Hulk would be cool. I always thought he was better as a reluctant instinct driven bad guy.

Dr Daystrom
10-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Fighting Hulk would be cool. I always thought he was better as a reluctant instinct driven bad guy.

I'm with you on that one. My fond memories of the Hulk comics from the 60's all involve him in brawls with other (more stable) good guys. Those were the best issues.

Natrix
10-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Great news!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38902

Jon Favreau officially Directing IRON MAN & Producing THE AVENGERS - & Don Cheadle is stepping in for Terrence Howard!

Hey folks, Harry here - The other day I was reading the New York Times - and came across a paragraph that gave me pause. They were talking about Obama's closing speech in Ohio - that he gave yesterday, and how Obama's chief speechwriter Jon Favreau was hard at work crafting it. Now, I realize there's probably many different Jon Favreau's of the world, but then I thought - well Orson Welles worked with FDR... It is possible. But I wrote Jon to see if he was moonlighting as the best speech writer in politics today - and he confirmed that he was in Bora Bora - and absolutely not the same Jon Favreau writing Obama's speeches.

Well - damn - I think everyone in America that wants to have a better year, should evidently change their name to Jon Favreau - cuz the geek Jon, knocked IRON MAN out of the park, just got his deal for IRON MAN 2 and is Executive Producing THE AVENGERS. And the Obama Jon - well, he's been speechifying real damn good at a word processor.

ANYWAY - here's the latest news from MARVEL. My opinion on the Cheadle/Howard switch? Well - I love both actors, but I wish continuity would have solidified. Don will be fantastic, as he always is, I just wish the switch wasn't an apparent necessity.

MARVEL STUDIOS PRODUCTION UPDATE

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS' THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2

As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.

Academy Award® nominee Downey was most recently seen in the summer comedy blockbuster TROPIC THUNDER starring opposite Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Before Iron Man, he was best known for his film roles in KISS KISS BANG BANG, WONDER BOYS and CHAPLIN, the film for which he was nominated for an Oscar®.

In addition to directing the first IRON MAN, Favreau has previously directed ELF, ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE and MADE. He is also well known for writing and starring in SWINGERS. He will next be seen acting in FOUR CHRISTMASES, I LOVE YOU MAN and COUPLES RETREAT.

DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2

Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel's IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.
Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.

Cheadle is best known for his Oscar® nominated lead performance in HOTEL RWANDA as well as his role as Basher Tarr in the OCEAN'S franchise, CRASH and SWORDFISH.

Based on Marvel's iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer's box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Cheadle is represented by UTA. Downey and Favreau are represented by CAA.

The Mike
10-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Another site confirmation:

Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle have officially signed on to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers, the Marvel Studios project that will unite several of its superhero properties:

In addition to starring in "Iron Man 2," Downey has agreed to return as billionaire Tony Stark and his crime-fighting alter ego in "The Avengers" and a third "Iron Man" installment, guaranteeing the thesp a superhero-sized payday and his own ongoing franchise as part of a four-picture deal with the comicbook company.
Company confirmed that Don Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard as Col. James Rhodes in the "Iron Man" sequels. Cheadle will also appear in "The Avengers."

This should finally shoot down all those rumors that Marvel was going to cast big-name actors in several superhero film franchises, allude to their eventual merging with cross-over characters and mention of forming the Avengers team, then suddenly re-cast all the parts with actors from community theaters and failed CW shows. Phew!

The Tuggernaut
10-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle have officially signed on to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers, the Marvel Studios project that will unite several of its superhero properties:

In addition to starring in "Iron Man 2," Downey has agreed to return as billionaire Tony Stark and his crime-fighting alter ego in "The Avengers" and a third "Iron Man" installment, guaranteeing the thesp a superhero-sized payday and his own ongoing franchise as part of a four-picture deal with the comicbook company.
Company confirmed that Don Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard as Col. James Rhodes in the "Iron Man" sequels. Cheadle will also appear in "The Avengers."

:joy :joy :joy ! ! !

beachfox
10-30-2008, 03:07 AM
In case anyone don't know who's Don Cheadle... attached is his pic. :D

He has acted in:

Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Ocean's Twelve (2004)
Ocean's Thirteen (2007)...etc

IronFingaz
10-30-2008, 06:50 AM

This should finally shoot down all those rumors that Marvel was going to cast big-name actors in several superhero film franchises, allude to their eventual merging with cross-over characters and mention of forming the Avengers team, then suddenly re-cast all the parts with actors from community theaters and failed CW shows. Phew!

:joy :joy :joy :joy :joy

I'm getting more and more pumped for Iron Man sequels, Thor, Cap and The Avengers everytime a new update comes up.

Cocoboloboy
10-30-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm curious to see how they pull off Thor without him looking absolutely ridiculous.

Booyah!
10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

Hmmm...let the sepeculation on who the Baddie(s) are begin.

Since Hulk is "forced to band together" with the others, it looks like an Avengers vs Hulk battle would be in the first half of the film, leaving the final battle scene open to someone else.

Loki? Maybe. But will probably have been dealt with in Thor.

Kang? Unlikely. A time travel plot would be too much for the first film.

Masters of Evil? Unlikely. Too many supervillian origins to deal with.

Red Skull? Unlikely. Probably will be dealt with in the Cap film.

Hydra? Maybe. Lots of cannon fodder for the heroes, plus the threat of a global terrorist organization for SHEILD to deal with, but ultimately not enough of a danger to warrent a group of such powerful heroes.

A.I.M.? Maybe. See above.

Ultron? Possible. I'd love to see this personally, or at least show him in the beginning phase in order to bring him in as the main villian in Avengers 2. Although he may be saved for the Antman film.

Skrulls? Most likely. Plenty of cannon fodder. Huge threat to the whole planet, warrenting the formation of the Avengers to begin with. And since it's been said multiple times that they're loosely following the plot of the Ultimates, this seems the most likely choice.

Mad Old Lu
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
The only thing about the Skrulls is that it would be too much money, especially for the first movie. They'd have to pay for the special effects of them shape-shifting, and even the regular prosthetics to render them in their normal state. Not to mention the fact that they're aliens, so you have to deal with ships, etc.

I think you were on to something with Hydra. It's just people in uniforms. It's a little more grounded in reality. All they'd have to do is create a threat that spans the globe and separates the team. Hydra-made "natural" disasters? Cities under attack? Lots of rescues to do for the heroes!

Then part 2 could be Ultron, and part 3 could raise the stakes and finally unleash the Skrulls! They would have 2 Box Office hits to warrant the larger budget.

chaikin
10-30-2008, 10:17 PM
ur bowen marvel look cool...

Darth Cruel
10-31-2008, 05:05 PM
I wonder why Terrence Howard is not Rhode anymore.

Hmmm..."biggest"...Fin Fang Foom?

Booyah!
11-11-2008, 04:19 PM
The only thing about the Skrulls is that it would be too much money, especially for the first movie. They'd have to pay for the special effects of them shape-shifting, and even the regular prosthetics to render them in their normal state. Not to mention the fact that they're aliens, so you have to deal with ships, etc.

True, unless they play it close to the Ultimates series and have the Skrulls/Chitari appear in their human forms during most of the scenes.

Another thought is that if they end up not doing that second Hulk film, then they could pick up the Leader with gamma mutated creatures plotline.

It's probable that no matter what they do, the film will be so anticipated and expectations will be so unrealisticly high, that unless Jesus Christ's second-coming happens on the screen, people will ^^^^^ and whine that the movie "sucked" :rolleyes:

The Mike
11-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Ultron? Possible. I'd love to see this personally, or at least show him in the beginning phase in order to bring him in as the main villian in Avengers 2. Although he may be saved for the Antman film.

This is highly possible simply because of the Hank Pym connection and the fact that Ultron gave the Avengers some of the biggest battles they've faced..

Skrulls? Most likely. Plenty of cannon fodder. Huge threat to the whole planet, warrenting the formation of the Avengers to begin with. And since it's been said multiple times that they're loosely following the plot of the Ultimates, this seems the most likely choice.

The Skrulls would be easy because you'd have a couple of them who'd need to shape shift to show the ability then you could keep the rest in one form or the other for the majority of the film. Not to mention it'd be interesting if we got some Skrull cameos of heroes that cannot be used at present time since their Skrull incarnation with green skin and ridged chin is technically outside of the realm of licensing.

Not to mention Marvel knows how an Avengers film is already set up to fail with so many high caliber characters all coming together and the kind of budget needed to do it right, this stopped any JLA big screen incarnation....so that being said I think they know this and they'll be throwing as much money at it as possible to give it a fighting chance. I wouldn't hold funds as a reasoning why it couldn't be done.

Booyah!
11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Something else, and this is way in advance to be thinking about, but I wonder if Fox will try to swipe The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for their X stuff (they are Magneto's kids). Or if Marvel will keep them for any future Avengers films. Obviously I'd rather they be put in the Avengers films, since they are more important to the Avengers mythos.

The Mike
11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
It will depend on whether or not they were already included. Marvel said that unless the characters were already "purchased" they wouldn't be licensing out any more of their characters. I have a feeling they weren't since Magneto made no reference to any kind of family throughout the X-Men trilogy.

Morbach
11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I hope this movie delivers.

jbinny
11-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I think we all know what this movie needs...

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/jbinny85/2008-08-05-americangladiator.jpg

Bodie The Cursed
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/jbinny85/user4837_pic1141_1223834870.jpg

Darkseed
11-15-2008, 12:35 PM
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/jbinny85/user4837_pic1141_1223834870.jpg

The guy is an American Gladiator :rotfl

He definately looks the part but can he act? The new wave of comic adapted movies is to get real actors RDJ, Bale and Norton.

Steve R is a skinny fellow until the super soldier formula then he blows up. A solid actor can play the part and digitally re-make him into Cap.

tomandshell
01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Talks with Samuel L. Jackson have broken down--sounds like Marvel is being stingy.

Maybe they will replace him with Terrence Howard...

Agent0028
01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
See my post in the Iron Man 2 thread.

DarthNeil
01-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Just reading this now (where have I been????) and I'd have to agree. He was great in The 13th Warrior and he definitely conveys a nobility (and his voice would rock as well with that accent).

The Mike
06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Article by Brian Kronner
'Avengers' Movie to Make Marvel Cohesive?
Marvel’s head of marketing Doug Finberg was in Burbank Wednesday to accept Saturn Award on behalf of Iron Man, which won for BEST SCI-FI MOVIE.

Finberg confirmed the working title of the Captain America film is The First Avenger: Captain America. It will both introduce Cap and lead into the concept of The Avengers. The Avenger movie will then have to link Cap not only to the upcoming Thor movie, but also both Iron Man projects.

Avengers screenwriter Zak Penn told an audience at the L.A. Film Festival this week that he is running around between Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America production offices to make sure his script coordinates with the introduction of key superheroes. Thank God. It’s good to see they are double checking things to make sure everything fits together.

That gives us only 3 of the founding members, meaning that the Hulk could be included as well. Also Penn could introduce new supporting superheroes in the Avengers film itself. IE: Wasp, Ant Man, Hawkeye, ect.

After some contractual hiccups, Samuel L. Jackson signed on to continue playing Nick Fury in the Marvel films. Expect him to play a major role in the upcoming films as we’ve already seen him approach Tony Stark about the team.

Penn has a task ahead of him since Kenneth Branagh is heading up Thor, and is sure to have a unique style for the character. Penn will have to meld the character Branagh creates there with Downey’s Stark and whomever they get to play the Cap. As if those 3 wont demand enough screen-time he’ll also have Fury, whichever other character they introduce, and a villain who will have to be developed. To do it right, this movie is going to have to push 3 hours I think…

While I admittedly was never a big reader of the Avenger comics, I am extremely excited for this movie because of what it represents. It’s a step away from FOX and Joel Schumacher. It’s a step towards doing things the right way.

Iron Man 2 is due out May 7, 2010. Thor is next, on May 20, 2011. Then Captain America on July 22, 2011, and The Avengers on May 4, 2012.

Dr Daystrom
06-29-2009, 01:26 PM
[B]06.29.2009
Then Captain America on July 22, 2011

What sort of bonehead didn't think of opening Captain America just before the 4th of July holiday? (like the weekend before)

The Mike
08-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Marvel Prez Leaks Avengers Movie Details
By Graeme McMillan, 7:00 AM on Sun Aug 23 2009

It's still three years away, but that isn't stopping Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige from dropping hints about who and what to expect from the big superhero mash-up movie The Avengers when it eventually comes out.

Talking to Comic Book Resources, Feige admitted that Samuel L. Jackson's nine movie deal with Marvel is indeed a clue as to how the Avengers are going to get toegther:

At the end of the first [Iron Man], for the people who were patient enough to wait through the end credits, they met this guy named Nick Fury. They or Tony had no idea who he was. In this movie, he opens that door a little bit more for Tony and invites him to walk through it. Tony may or may not do that in this movie. But Nick Fury is the conduit through which all the characters will connect.

When asked whether the Hulk would feature in the Avengers movie, Feige replied,

I think so. In the comics, he has.

Another character we can expect to see in Avengers is Scarlett Johannsen's Black Widow; Feige was asked whether fans could expect to see her in that movie or her own spin-off, and he said,

She's signed on for all of those should we be lucky enough to have an audience that wants to see them.

So now we know at least six characters who'll be appearing in the movie: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury and Black Widow. Given that Iron Man 2 is also introducing well-known Avengers character Hawkeye, it's a fair bet to assume he'll be a seventh... and we have a line-up that should be very familiar not only to fans of Marvel's early Avengers comics, but also Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's Ultimates rebooted version. With Avengers screenwriter Zak Penn having previously said that Ultimates was a big influence on how he approaches this material, is it too early to assume that the first Avengers movie will be an adaptation of that particular series?

Agent0028
08-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Wow, that could be alot of heroes in one movie. I wonder if it may be too many.

jinxx
08-23-2009, 05:06 PM
who's playing Captain America!?...I hope it's not that guy from Supernatural!http://www.anikaos.com/040-onion_msn_smilies/onion_msn_smilies/onion_msn_smilies-04.gif...

Darth Snoopy
08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
So now we know at least six characters who'll be appearing in the movie: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury and Black Widow. Given that Iron Man 2 is also introducing well-known Avengers character Hawkeye, it's a fair bet to assume he'll be a seventh...

IM2 is introducing Hawkeye, eh? Sweet! :rock :rock :rock

Booyah!
08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
???....That's the first I'm hearing of Hawkeye being in this.....???

The Mike
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Exclusive: Jeremy Renner Talks Hawkeye!
Source:Edward Douglas November 30, 2009

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3835/jeremyrenner669201.jpg

We just got back from the Independent Film Gotham Awards where Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker won awards for Best Ensemble Performance and for Best Feature, putting it well into the running for Best Picture at the Oscars. It was a wild and crazy night, but we couldn't leave without getting a few moments in with one of the film's stars, Jeremy Renner, who was all over the internet this weekend when Empire magazine broke the news that he has had talks about possibly playing the role of Hawkeye in Marvel Studios' The Avengers movie.

Anyone who has seen The Hurt Locker knows how great Renner is as a hotshot bomb expert in Iraq, exemplifying the perfect attitude to bring to the Avengers' hotshot archery expert Hawkeye. The first thing we wanted to know was whether there'd been any more news since doing that interview with Empire. "I haven't heard anything since I talked to them three weeks ago," he admitted. "The last I knew is that they still have to find their director for 'The Avengers,' that's where he's really going to show up. They were just talking, 'Like maybe we should consider maybe hiring Hawkeye now' but there's no director on 'Avengers' so they don't really want to force-feed the director, 'Here's the whole cast.' It's a big role so they didn't want to do that to the director, so I think they might wait. I know they're interested, I'm interested, so we'll see if it works out."

We told him how excited SuperHeroHype readers--at least the ones who've seen The Hurt Locker--were about his possible casting in the role, and how hopefully those who haven't seen the movie will try and check it out. "They sold me on the idea, too, because I love the idea that Hawkeye's really not a superhero," Jeremy told us. "He's just a man with a high skill set, so I can relate to (that). The Marvel guys are great for how they made Iron Man to be, 'Oh, that's actually plausible' so I bought it and I love that. They're really, really smart guys and I'd love to work for 'em, and we'll see if it works out."

When we asked him if he's started reading up on his Hawkeye comic book history just in case he gets the role, he gave us a possible hint of what the character might look like in the movie compared to the comics: "Yeah, but it's going to be modernized, it's not going to be the guy with the big purple (mask), it's not going to be a guy in tights. It's going to be a guy in sunglasses and a vest. He's going to be more modernized and I'm gonna say, 'A cooler-looking version' and not the big weird costume he had on. I don't think they're going that route."

So while some people keep busy rooting for Jeremy's Oscar chances, let's all of us here at SuperHeroHype keep rooting for his Hawkeye chances!

Agent0028
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Sounds like another Ultimate Universe version of the character. Can't say I blame them, some heroes are fine on the big screen in bright flashy colors because they are icons. I think Hawkeye would look silly in his traditional comic costume in the movie.

The Mike
03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Some news on this front.

Meet The Avengers: Captain America, Thor, Iron Man And Nick Fury Casting Finalized
Posted 3/23/10 2:14 pm ET by Rick Marshall in Marvel

While there are still a few roles that need to be cast, yesterday's report that actor Chris Evans will play Captain America provides one of the final pieces in a long-developing puzzle that, when completed, will bring together a host of Marvel Studios superheroes for "The Avengers."

Currently scheduled to hit theaters in May 2012, "The Avengers" will team Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Nick Fury against an unknown enemy (possibly The Hulk) that the heroes must unite to defeat. And though we're still not sure what form that enemy will take, Evans' casting as soldier-turned-superhero Steve Rogers now gives us a pretty good idea how Earth's Mightiest Heroes will look when they arrive on the big screen.

From familiar faces in new roles to unknown actors playing some of the world's most iconic characters, it's time to get to know your Avengers, folks.

IRON MAN: Actor Robert Downey Jr. made Tony Stark a household name when he first donned the Mark I armor in 2008. Two years later, it's hard to imagine any other face under the mask of Marvel's armored Avenger.

With "Iron Man 2" primed to further cement Downey's association to the face of Iron Man's alter ego (while also introducing potential Avengers members Black Widow and War Machine), Tony Stark will easily be the most well-established member of the team's lineup when the film hits theaters.

NICK FURY: While the relationship between the chief of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Avengers has taken various forms over time (and between different Marvel universes), one thing that's certain is the face of Nick Fury in the Marvel movie universe. Ever since Samuel L. Jackson first approached Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark during a post-credits scene in "Iron Man" and mentioned "The Avenger Initiative," art has become reality and the model for Fury in Marvel's "Ultimates" comic book universe has become the live-action head honcho of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Even though Jackson has said Fury won't see action in "Iron Man 2," it's a good bet that there will be enough to keep his face and Fury's name connected in fans' minds until "Avengers" rolls into production.

THOR: Chris Hemsworth's role in "Star Trek" was a brief but memorable turn as the doomed George Kirk, but that's really all we have to go on at this point when it comes to Marvel's god of thunder. We've been told he's becoming "a beast" for the part, but as far as costume goes, we've heard more about Thor's dad, Odin, than we have about the hero who wields the magical hammer Mjolnir.

How will his mythical style mesh with the more modern look of Tony Stark and Nick Fury? Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2011 to find out!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: If you're a fan of comics and comic book movies, there's little to no chance that you've missed Chris Evans in one of his many featured roles. Steve Rogers will be the fourth comic book character Evans plays on the big screen after becoming the face of Johnny Storm ("Fantastic Four"), Jensen ("The Losers") and Lucas Lee ("Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World").

While all of the characters he's played have shared a certain charisma, it's worth noting that they've all featured different hairstyles, hair color, degrees of facial hair and certain accessories (Jensen's ever-present earpiece, for example). It will be interesting to see which physical elements of past characters will be present in Evan's take on Steve Rogers.

Still Uncertain: While these four characters are certain for "The Avengers," there are still some big questions as far as casting and team lineup. We've been told Hulk will be in the film, but will Edward Norton reprise the role of Bruce Banner? What about Black Widow and War Machine? And finally, will anything come of those Hawkeye and Wasp rumors?

Keep it locked to Splash Page for more "Avengers" movie news as it develops.

Louis Leterrier on "Short List" to Direct The Avengers
Director Louis Leterrier has made no secret that he would like to direct Marvel's upcoming The Avengers, and he may be one step closer to his goal. Leterrier told AICN that he is on Marvel's short list of directors for the high-profile project, which would bring together the characters from Iron Man, Thor, The First Avenger: Captain America, and Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk.

I am on the shortlist, but I'm at the bottom of the shortlist, I'm sure. (Laughs) I don't know who the other guys are, but I have a great relationship with [Marvel], and I've been very vocal to them and everyone else that I am the one to direct it. I loved my time at Marvel. I loved those guys. They're fantastic. [Marvel president] Kevin [Feige] is such a passionate boss; he gets his hands dirty. It's a universe I want to keep exploring. I was frustrated with [The Incredible Hulk]. It was like, "That's it? Only one superhero? Can I do more???" We'll see. Time will tell.
In an interview with MTV, Leterrier described how he would approach The Avengers should he get the opportunity to direct it.

It all starts with the ensemble, the cast. It's all about the cast. It's all about the characters. You have to find the way to enter the movie through the cast. With Avengers, it would be a little different, because a lot of the cast would have been cast by different directors from other movies, but you can still bring everybody together. That's what we did that was great on Clash of the Titans. For the first three weeks, we brought everybody into a room and we workshopped the movie.
Iron Man director Jon Favreau already revealed that he won't direct The Avengers, though he will produce the movie. It's possible that Thor's Kenneth Branagh and 's Joe Johnston will also be considered.

Mad Old Lu
03-25-2010, 01:29 PM
At first I was really happy to see Leterrier is being considered for the Avengers, because I thought he did a stand-up job for the Incredible Hulk.

Then I read further that he's doing Clash of the Titans. :(

I mean, Titans looks okay action-wise. It just looks a little overblown to me. But then again I was skeptical of his Hulk too, especially when there were reports that the last 40 minutes of the movie were going to be all CGI monsters beating the crap out of each other. But once I saw it I was very impressed by the care and respect he had towards the characters. So I think he'll do a good job. He's definitely into the whole Marvel world, isn't he!

Just keep Johnston away from the Avengers!

shiveringmelody
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Considering this is April 1st, take with a grain of salt I say. Still I hope this is real....

A few years back genre-fave Joss Whedon was attached to direct a feature film version of comics classic Wonder Woman for Warner Bros. Whedon, unfortunately, never got to take the invisible jet out for a spin. But that project's a troubled one, and to this day the Burbankians are still struggling to make a movie of Ms WonderBra.

But whenever anyone in the industry discusses Whedon's take on Wonder Woman they speak of it very favorably- suggesting if the studio and the producers had more faith in the guy, and let him do what he'd been hired to do, he might've been the one to make a terrific bonafide franchise out of the DC property.

But DC's loss is Marvel's gain.

According to IESB, Whedon is on the short list to direct the Superhero movie of Superhero movies - one "The Avengers". The TV vet has a relationship with Marvel stemming from his work on the "Astonishing X Men" comic series.

The "Avengers", which would team comic crusaders Thor, Captain America, The Hulk, Nick Fury and Iron Man, and is due in theaters 2012, is a major one for the studio and therefore they're chasing the best man for the job. And good on them for having the smarts to know that man is all-round comic geek and the voice of a generation, Whedon.

Louis Letterier, director of "The Incredible Hulk", has also let the powers-that-be know that he's interested in the job - and he may be on that short list, but look, I think after Marvel catch "Clash of the Titans" they'll be placing Letterier's file to the back of the cabinet....And moving Whedon's up.

Agent0028
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
If its an April Fools joke its a piss poor one. April Fools jokes should piss people off, like the rumor Madonna would play a Sith witch in the TV series. This is gonna piss people off when they announce its BS.

Darklord Dave
04-01-2010, 11:28 PM
An April fool's joke should be a bit plausible, but mostly outrageous. This is extremely plausible and would be a great thing to happen. Definitely hope it's real.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/marvel-close-to-whedon-hire-on-the-avengers

IrishJedi
04-13-2010, 02:09 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/marvel-close-to-whedon-hire-on-the-avengers

That #$!#@ sucks if it happens, imho. Whedon is one of the most overrated things around, and nothing in his career shows he has what it takes to do a proper AVENGERS film.

Kuzeh
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Oh boy...
:lol...

Darklord Dave
04-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Fan-freakin-tastic news! A smart director who respects the property and can direct an ensemble and is great with characters and dialogue.

Okay, he hasn't really proven that he's fantastic with big budget action scenes - but I have a feeling he'll be fine there too. Couldn't be better news for the Avengers.

praxitas
04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I personally enjoyed Serenity, though I was a big fan of firefly too. I don't know what to think of this move though if it ends up being fact. I hope he knocks it out of the park though. He seems like a good guy!

IrishJedi
04-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Fan-freakin-tastic news! A smart director who respects the property and can direct an ensemble and is great with characters and dialogue.

Okay, he hasn't really proven that he's fantastic with big budget action scenes - but I have a feeling he'll be fine there too. Couldn't be better news for the Avengers.

:moon:moon:moon:moon

IrishJedi
04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
He's never done A SINGLE THING to earn him the right to direct a film as huge as "The Avengers". If I were Favreau (who has earned it), I would walk away from "Iron Man 3" on principle alone.

barbelith
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Whedon is a good (if obvious) writer. But his previous directorial efforts have been workmanlike at best. He's really going to need to step up to the plate to pull this one off, especially considering the guys behind the individual films. Hopefully the DoP and effects crew are really at the helm.

Darklord Dave
04-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Whedon is a good (if obvious) writer. But his previous directorial efforts have been workmanlike at best. He's really going to need to step up to the plate to pull this one off, especially considering the guys behind the individual films. Hopefully the DoP and effects crew are really at the helm.

The same could be said about Favreau before Iron Man, Peter Jackson before Fellowship, or Michael Bay before Pearl Harbor.

Agent0028
04-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I will agree that Favreau would be a great director for Avengers. He'd be a great director for Captain America too.

Sachiel
04-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Hell yeah! :rock

teemu
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
That #$!#@ sucks if it happens, imho. Whedon is one of the most overrated things around, and nothing in his career shows he has what it takes to do a proper AVENGERS film.

Amen! Amen!

barbelith
04-13-2010, 06:11 PM
The same could be said about Favreau before Iron Man, Peter Jackson before Fellowship, or Michael Bay before Pearl Harbor.

Only by people who'd never seen their other movies. :)

Kuzeh
04-13-2010, 06:32 PM

:horror
One of these things... is not like the others...

KneelBeforrSmallville
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
i think Favreau should be a executive producer on the film at least, I think a project of this magnitude is going to be long, huge and EPIC, Whedon is a good writer, Serenity was eh ok but i will sayBuffy and Alien Ressurection are good. but this needs either a director of James Cameron Status or a bunch of talented guys working together! Whedon could...write and direct probly, but def bring Favreau on!! and the Thor and C.A. Directors to help collaborate(ONLY IF THERE GOOD)

Chapter 2099
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
He's never done A SINGLE THING to earn him the right to direct a film as huge as "The Avengers". If I were Favreau (who has earned it), I would walk away from "Iron Man 3" on principle alone.

I'm agreeing with Dave here, and Whedon's resume isn't too shabby in my opinion. Serenity did VERY well at the box office, surprising MANY fans and even the Fox executives (which is not that easy to do if you ask me. :lol) Favreau definitely executed the first Iron Man movie well, but if you compare Favreau (before or after IM), I still think Joss is more qualified. He's directed, written, and produced two very successful television series in their entirety, not to mention all of the guest shows he's done. He's a writer for Marvel's own Astonishing X-Men series (not to mention a comic book series of his own) and arguably knows more about the Marvel Universe than most directors out there. The guy is qualified to say the least in my opinion.

Darklord Dave
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Only by people who'd never seen their other movies. :)

Was it Elf or Zathura that made you think Favreau could handle a big star, huge action and the expectations of millions? It was heralded as a bold move to hire him for Iron Man because there was nothing comparable in his oeuvre.

Jackson made a little more sense - Heavenly Creatures was very visual and a difficult subject. But there was nothing on his resume that was anything like Lord of the Rings.

I think the only people that wouldn't agree that Whedon is a great idea have an unreasonable dislike of him, perhaps because he IS so popular. But he is so loved for good reason and has proved his skills as a storyteller over and over again and is a logical choice.

Branagh was a surprise for Thor because it wasn't really something he's known for - but at least Thor is in his wheelhouse after Henry V and Much Ado....

And I was kidding about Michael Bay...:duh

barbelith
04-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Serenity did VERY well at the box office

No, it didn't, which is why there was never a sequel.

EVILFACE
04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow, Whedon directing means Avengers will be as anti-climatic as Serenity.

barbelith
04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Was it Elf or Zathura that made you think Favreau could handle a big star, huge action and the expectations of millions?

Both were larger-than-life FX films. The "big star" and "expectations of millions" parts aren't really relevant (and the former was already in the can with Will Ferrell anyway). Favreau proved he could handle fantasy pictures. Although I'd give you a point in at least one respect; Iron Man isn't a film directed with any kind of visual flair, so Whedon might fit right in.

Jackson made a little more sense - Heavenly Creatures was very visual and a difficult subject. But there was nothing on his resume that was anything like Lord of the Rings.

I think the combination of BrainDead and Heavenly Creatures made him a solid if offbeat choice. I expected his take to be a bit more Raimi.

I think the only people that wouldn't agree that Whedon is a great idea have an unreasonable dislike of him

Except as I said, I like Whedon as a writer, so you're wrong. Sorry about that. Whedon is a bit of a Claremont clone, but that's no bad thing in my book. As a director it's a different story. He's not very visually driven; his work doesn't have a distinctive style and is frankly pedestrian more often than not. This is frequently hidden by the nature of TV production and fans' affection for his characters, but the only people who would ever hold him up as a solid action director are fans of his franchises. I love Serenity for its characters, but the direction is workmanlike and hardly bodes well for what should be a hugely OTT comic book spectacle.

But he may well surprise us.

IrishJedi
04-14-2010, 06:41 AM
There isn't a fanbase that gets ******** quicker than the Whedonites. Wow. You should read my email and Twitter DMs this morning. These folks make Star Wars nerds, Avatards, and even Twilight weirdos look absolutely rational. :lol

FQRizzo
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Astonishing X-Men was awesome. I approve of Whedon directing the Avengers.

...and no, I'm not a Whe-tard. :D

Deckard
04-14-2010, 06:47 AM
____ing Epic Catastrophe.

I will gain no friends on this board I'm sure, but I still think Whedon is one of the most overrated men in the buissness. Always thought Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse were just crap. Sorry. Needed to be said.

IrishJedi
04-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I don't think those shows are crap (well, maybe Dollhouse). In fact, I quite enjoy watching Buffy, Firefly, etc. They are just insanely over-valued. And I do agree that Joss Whedon is one of the most overrated things around in general.

The only film he's ever directed was "Serenity", and that was just a glorified TV movie based on his own work and characters. This is a huge, huge, HUGE risk by Marvel. And, imho, a completely unnecessary one. This will need more than the devotion of Whedonites alone if it doesn't work.

Deckard
04-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Serenity was ok, like a 7/10 for me. Mediocre really, and its his best project. Giving him the awesomeness of all these kick ass heroes interacting with quirky scenes between Stark and Rogers just don't seem like something he can do.

And speaking of which, Chris Evans better not be a smart ass Johnny Storm version of Captain America or its going to be even worse.

Honestly I'd rather have no movie at all and let Iron Man and Hulk remain good films with no tie to this thing which seems to be getting worse and worse with every announcement. Joe Johnston and Chris Evans were the first thing that made me take a step back, this just makes me want to hit rewind. Hell just give the movie to Brett Ratner.

Chapter 2099
04-14-2010, 07:00 AM
No, it didn't, which is why there was never a sequel.

Serenity surprised a lot of people, critics included, and considering it was a movie based on a canceled television series with an 11-aired episode run, it did quite well. Was it a summer blockbuster? No. But it exceeded a lot of expectations and held it's own. That to me is impressive.

As for your post, I don't quite follow the logic. Titantic did amazing at the box office in terms of sales, and yet there was never a sequel. Independence Day and Forrest Gump did phenomenal. None of those had sequels, so does that make them not successful?

Then you have movies like those in the Saw series. What are they up to now? Six? I don't see those winning Oscars anytime soon. I'm not saying Serenity broke all kinds of records, that it will go down as one of the most memorable movies of all time, or that it's the greatest creation of all time. What I'm saying is that it held it's own in terms of numbers, had great reviews, and consequently, had successful DVD sales. There's a lot of movies out there that can't say the same. I'm sure it won't hurt Whedon's resume.

Kabukiman
04-14-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Whedon can do on a budget. I think I'd be more excited about him writing the film than directing it though.

Writing = :banana
Directing = :confused: We'll see.

IrishJedi
04-14-2010, 07:02 AM
I think he was trying to point out that "Serenity" was a huge disappointment at the box office (because it was) and that's the reason why there wasn't/won't be a sequel. That's actually quite simple logic, really.

Also, he's not even 100% golden with his writing all the time, either. I guess I have to point out that in Whedon's last foray into superhero movies (he did a script polish on X-MEN) he was responsible for one of the worst lines in film history (you know, something about toads and lightning... I can't even reiterate it it's so painful).

IrishJedi
04-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Double post. Sorry.

Deckard
04-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Yea but do you know what happens to a director when it gets hit by lightning? :naughty

FQRizzo
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Yea but do you know what happens to a director when it gets hit by lightning? :naughty

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/deckard86/0641947001269994544.gif

barbelith
04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Astonishing X-Men was awesome. I approve of Whedon directing the Avengers.

Writing a comic and directing an action movie are two different skill sets.

Khev
04-14-2010, 09:53 AM
he was responsible for one of the worst lines in film history (you know, something about toads and lightning... I can't even reiterate it it's so painful).

And then he blamed Halle's delivery (which was also awful in and of itself) as if another actress would have made that an epic moment.

barbelith
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Serenity surprised a lot of people, critics included, and considering it was a movie based on a canceled television series with an 11-aired episode run, it did quite well.

That doesn't make it a box office success.

As for your post, I don't quite follow the logic. Titantic did amazing at the box office in terms of sales, and yet there was never a sequel.

Serenity was intended to be the first film in a franchise. Its box office didn't justify making another one. The other movies you mention weren't intended to launch franchises.

Then you have movies like those in the Saw series.

Those movies keep being made because they achieved their financial objectives. Serenity did not. I like Serenity. But in the business of the box office it failed - and frankly it's not hard to see why. It made $10 million in its opening weekend and barely pulled $25 million across its entire domestic run. Its budget was $39 million before advertising. Even taking into consideration its global ticket sales (a pathetic $13 million internationally), the movie lost money. FAIL. Saw VI by comparison made $28 million ($62 million globally) and cost just $11 million. WIN.

Don't let your fandom blind you to the business reality.

What I'm saying is that it held it's own in terms of numbers

As you can see, it clearly didn't.

Meanwhile we have Whedon directing one bomb film and a bunch of TV episodes. Which of those episodes suggests to you he can handle a $100 million CG action flick where the Hulk throws a car through a building?

FQRizzo
04-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Understanding the team dynamic is what I'm concerned with.

Mad Old Lu
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree that Whedon does not create eye popping visuals in anything he's done. But everything he HAS done has heart. There is a real emotional investment in the characters, and clever/unique situations for the characters to navigate through. Maybe he won't stage an overly complex, multi-camera dolly shot with explosions, but he will create a story where you feel for the characters and share in their triumphs and losses.

barbelith
04-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Understanding the team dynamic is what I'm concerned with.

He's not writing the script AFAIK.

I agree that Whedon does not create eye popping visuals in anything he's done. But everything he HAS done has heart. There is a real emotional investment in the characters, and clever/unique situations for the characters to navigate through. Maybe he won't stage an overly complex, multi-camera dolly shot with explosions, but he will create a story where you feel for the characters and share in their triumphs and losses.

He's not writing the script AFAIK.

Mad Old Lu
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Usually the directors meet with the writers and discuss story ideas together. I know Spielberg (with Lucas) conferred with the writers for the final drafts (it's in the Making of IJ book) giving suggestions for some of the sequences. And I know Martin Campbell also contributed to the story in Goldeneye, saying in the commentary that they all came up with the tank chase scene. So I know that it's not unusual for the director to contribute to key story elements. I'm sure Whedon would not resist putting his 2¢ in and even doing a script polish on his own.

If anything, I think it's more rare that a director does not contribute anything to the story and shoots exactly what's in the script.

Darklord Dave
04-14-2010, 11:14 AM
There is no way they hire Whedon to direct and he doesn't have enormous input into the script.

I still maintain that this is no more a gamble for Marvel than Favreau or Jackson was for New Line. It's more of a sure thing since he at least knows how to work within a budget. Sure you could give it to James Cameron and it would cost 500 Mil and take 5 years to make. Who else would you like to see direct Avengers if not Whedon?

barbelith
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
If anything, I think it's more rare that a director does not contribute anything to the story and shoots exactly what's in the script.

The director does not rewrite the entire script. It's silly to assume any of the trademark Whedon story flourishes will be there unless he's getting paid to write a new draft. That's simply not how the business works.

barbelith
04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
There is no way they hire Whedon to direct and he doesn't have enormous input into the script.

AFAIK the script already exists. It's possible he'll be hired to pen a new draft, but anyone who thinks it's going to be modified on the fly to be more Whedonesque needs to come back down to earth. It's also worth remembering Whedon has openly stated he has no affinity for these characters, which is why he doesn't write Avengers comics.

I still maintain that this is no more a gamble for Marvel than Favreau or Jackson was for New Line. It's more of a sure thing since he at least knows how to work within a budget.

He made one movie that lost money and was not exactly lauded for its action sequences. So it's actually quite an unusual choice, especially since Whedon has continually proven incapable of reaching beyond his cult audience.

Who else would you like to see direct Avengers if not Whedon?

Realistically, they should have given it to Favreau or Leterrier. I would have liked to have seen a more offbeat choice personally. There's always the possibility Whedon knocks it out of the park, but looking at his work as a director inspires no confidence he can handle this sort of picture.

Kabukiman
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
They should've given Iron Man to Bryan Singer rather than Jon Favreau. And why Ridley Scott didn't get LotR is beyond me. :duh

twistedfreak
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not a fan of Whedons. I would have much preferred to see someone else direct this. I think Sam Raimi could have pulled it off, but alas what happened with the SM franchise. I would have been fine with Favrau or Leterrier too. Hopefully Avi Arad will play a MAJOR role in how this movie turns out.

tomandshell
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I tend to agree with Barbelith. I don't think that Whedon has shown an ability to deliver a breakout success beyond his small but faithful cult following. This could be the project that introduces him to the mainstream--but when your feature film resume includes only one movie (which had a ten million dollar opening weekend), this could be more of a risk for Marvel. But I think that by that point, people will be showing up no matter what.

I just hope that he doesn't have a hand in the screenplay, since his writing style tries far too hard to be "hip" and "smart" and "edgy" but doesn't always succeed.

Darklord Dave
04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Working within a budget - I was referring to bringing in a mini-movie in 8 days for 2 mil. dollars.

And saying that the script won't have Whedonesque flourishes is a bit naive, especially considering Robert Downey Jr. (claimed) to rewrite half his dialogue for IM as they were shooting. Joss will at least do a polish although probably uncredited.

Hip, smart and edgy are exactly what a superhero movie needs.

Chapter 2099
04-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Serenity was intended to be the first film in a franchise. Its box office didn't justify making another one. The other movies you mention weren't intended to launch franchises.

Those movies keep being made because they achieved their financial objectives. Serenity did not. I like Serenity. But in the business of the box office it failed - and frankly it's not hard to see why. It made $10 million in its opening weekend and barely pulled $25 million across its entire domestic run. Its budget was $39 million before advertising. Even taking into consideration its global ticket sales (a pathetic $13 million internationally), the movie lost money. FAIL. Saw VI by comparison made $28 million ($62 million globally) and cost just $11 million. WIN.

I think he was trying to point out that "Serenity" was a huge disappointment at the box office (because it was) and that's the reason why there wasn't/won't be a sequel. That's actually quite simple logic, really.

Also, he's not even 100% golden with his writing all the time, either. I guess I have to point out that in Whedon's last foray into superhero movies (he did a script polish on X-MEN) he was responsible for one of the worst lines in film history (you know, something about toads and lightning... I can't even reiterate it it's so painful).

It wasn't a financial "blockbuster." I agree with you there. Could it have done better? Yeah. Was it a financial "failure?" Not in my opinion. What Serenity lacked in ticket sales, it more than made up for in DVD sales, rentals, etc., due in large part because of "good" reviews from the critics and its strong fan base. To address your point, if someone adds up the numbers for Serenity, they're there. Universal didn't lose any money on this deal. That seems pretty logical to me.

My main point earlier wasn't about financial success. Given the foundation that it was built upon (i.e. a television series of 14 episodes,) Serenity did very well. (And yes, that is an opinion. We'll just have to agree to disagree.) The success of a movie is more than just the revenue they earn, which is probably why I'm not in the movie business. It is possible to have a qualified resume for a comic book-based movie in today's day and age, without having a title like "Avatar" or some other multi-, multi-million dollar grossing "blockbuster" under your belt. And in my opinion, Joss is a shining example of just that.

Don't let your fandom blind you to the business reality.

There's no "blind" fandom involved, when I know what a director/writer/producer is capable of. If I'm "blind," then so is Marvel Studios for even considering him in the running for this movie. As are they for Captain America, Thor, and every other movie they make in the future because I'm sure they'll consider another just like Joss in the future. Eventually, a "new kid on the block" will show up, get the job done, and impresses us all, despite the lack of hope his followers may or may not have had.

In order to make money in the business reality, people need to take risks. If they don't, I can guarantee you they won't be sitting "on top" for long. And if you're not going to take risks, then why bother?

Meanwhile we have Whedon directing one bomb film and a bunch of TV episodes. Which of those episodes suggests to you he can handle a $100 million CG action flick where the Hulk throws a car through a building?

The same could be said about Favreau, director of such movies like Made, Zanthura, and Elf. (As Dave has already mentioned before.) At the time, I can't exactly say that I envisioned Jon Favreau translating ol' Shell Head onto the "big screen" as well as he did. And if ANYONE honestly predicted that he would make the Iron Man franchise what it is now, please get in touch with me. I'm looking to win the lottery here soon.

If Joss isn't qualified to direct the Avengers, then neither was Favreau for Iron Man. And yet, here he is "on top of the world" years later, directing what has the potential to be one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. (And rightfully so. :rock) That's pretty impressive for a guy who got his start in "Rudy." As the saying goes, we all start somewhere.

barbelith
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
And saying that the script won't have Whedonesque flourishes is a bit naive

It will if he's paid to rewrite it (or risks a union battle by taking an unpaid pass at another writer's credited work).

barbelith
04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
It wasn't a financial "blockbuster." I agree with you there. Could it have done better? Yeah. Was it a financial "failure?" Not in my opinion.

The only opinion that counts is Universal's. Serenity is seen as a bomb within the industry. The box office lost millions. This may or may not have been made up in home video sales, but that's a different arm of the business, and as we see, none of it persuaded Universal to make any of the planned sequels. So when you say things like Serenity held its own in numbers etc, that's flat out false, sorry.

The same could be said about Favreau, director of such movies like Made, Zanthura, and Elf.

Not really. Elf and Zathura are exactly the kind of movies you'd expect a director to cut his teeth on before a superhero movie. Significant effects/action pieces and an A list headliner. Whedon doesn't have anything to compare with this; his TV direction has been flat (our involvement largely stems from our affection for his characters rather than the direction itself). His sole feature effort lost money, had no A list names and has hardly earned a reputation for its effects/action sequences.

Anyone claiming Whedon is an obvious or even safe choice is blinded by their fandom, because as a director he hasn't proven his chops. But I suppose it's to Marvel's credit they're taking a risk with someone who has consistently proven incapable of attracting a mainstream audience. I'm rooting for him to really bring The Avengers home.

I'm just not holding my breath, is all.

Chapter 2099
04-14-2010, 06:38 PM
The only opinion that counts is Universal's. Serenity is seen as a bomb within the industry. The box office lost millions. This may or may not have been made up in home video sales, but that's a different arm of the business, and as we see, none of it persuaded Universal to make any of the planned sequels. So when you say things like Serenity held its own in numbers etc, that's flat out false, sorry.

I agree with you there. :lecture Just like the only opinion that matters is Marvel's. And if they want Joss....They'll have Joss, regardless of how well people may or may not believe Serenity did. I have a strange feeling they're not too bothered by Serenity's "numbers" though. Otherwise, why would they even consider him, right? It definitely doesn't bother me, but then again, what does that matter.

Not really. Elf and Zathura are exactly the kind of movies you'd expect a director to cut his teeth on before a superhero movie. Significant effects/action pieces and an A list headliner. Whedon doesn't have anything to compare with this; his TV direction has been flat (our involvement largely stems from our affection for his characters rather than the direction itself). His sole feature effort lost money, had no A list names and has hardly earned a reputation for its effects/action sequences.

Anyone claiming Whedon is an obvious or even safe choice is blinded by their fandom, because as a director he hasn't proven his chops. But I suppose it's to Marvel's credit they're taking a risk with someone who has consistently proven incapable of attracting a mainstream audience. I'm rooting for him to really bring The Avengers home.

I hope you're not insinuating that I said Joss was an "obvious" choice? :confused: I was as stunned as the next person. I think he has the credentials.

And again, the rest of your post was all opinion and we're all entitled to those. And I do respect yours.

As for the Avengers, I'll go see it regardless because I'm interested in the source material among many things. There's more to a movie than a director.

Darklord Dave
04-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Whatever way you cut it, Serenity was considered a failure. I think Joss even mentioned that he had the outline for a trilogy of features. But Universal has no interest in making sequels.

But Zathura was a failure too and was the film that Favreau made right before Iron Man.

Anzik
04-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Ang Lee is a very good director but I wouldn't call the first Hulk a success. George Lucas is a crappy director and has made billions with lots of sequels. Bryan Singer has done much better work outside of the superhero genre than he has in it. Raimi had a lot of people nervous when he was announced for Spiderman.
Time will tell.
The one thing that has always bothered me about superhero films is that too often the film maker abandons the story that made that hero great. At least with Whedon, he is familiar with the story and characters and has respect for the source material.

IrishJedi
04-15-2010, 06:29 AM
i think Favreau should be a executive producer on the film at least
He is. Which I suppose technically makes him Whedon's boss on the film.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

karamazov80
04-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Admittedly, I haven't seen everything Whedon has done, but though I have enjoyed Firefly/Serenity and the Astonishing X-Men to some extent, I'm not sure that I can see his style translating to a major Avengers film. I think he would have to take a major step away from all the TV stuff he did. I won't write the guy off or anything, but I'm not going to get overly optimistic based on his track record. In some ways, I think a more "serviceable" and conventional director like Joe Johnson would work better for something like this than a guy with such a distinctive and unconventional style like Whedon's.

Bruce Timm should get the job.

Mad Old Lu
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
I personally did see great potential in Favreau in Zathura. The movie itself was okay, and the action sequences were clever. But what caught my eye was his aesthetic for the effects. They felt real--especially the robot. I saw the behind-the-scenes and saw that he preferred practical effects and physical props to CGI. That gave me a lot of confidence in him, knowing that he knew there was more to a visual effect than just spectacle. I also knew that he was able to create characters that the audience cared about and felt invested in. My only concern going forward with IM was whether the action sequences were going to be great or not. As I said, Zathura was okay--more clever than anything else. Iron Man's action sequences weren't that elaborate. I think it's widely agreed on that the action was a little lacking. I personally disagree with that. I think the action was just right, and made even better because of the involvement you felt with the characters. That's what I think Whedon can bring to the table. He may not create eye-popping visuals, but he knows how to make you care for the characters. And I think that is a million times more important than being able to paint a pretty picture onscreen, like Lucas with the Prequels, Bay with Transformers or Cameron with Avatar.

Of course it would be ideal to get both--strong visuals and great characters. But if I had to put more weight on one than the other, I would pick characters over visuals.

Khev
04-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Doesn't Whedon get announced as a director on some high profile pic every other week before then being unattached to the project?

IrishJedi
04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't know, but if it follows the Whedon career M.O. they will cancel THE AVENGERS 2/3 of the way through production. :lol

The Mike
04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't think those shows are crap (well, maybe Dollhouse). In fact, I quite enjoy watching Buffy, Firefly, etc. They are just insanely over-valued. And I do agree that Joss Whedon is one of the most overrated things around in general.

Ironically I teach a film class where the current project is whether or not Joss Whedon is overrated, they are viewing Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Pilot) which is what I would argue is most revered for and then Dollhouse, Firefly (both pilots) and then deciding if he is worth the hype from these bits and pieces. :)

Bingo. I have no doubts in him writing something great but in directing I'm not so sure....especially if he has a bit of casting to the Avengers not yet seen....we might as well look to the Whedonverse to see who'll play Wasp and Hawkeye, Amy Acker or Eliza Dushku and Nathan Fillion anyone?

Who else would you like to see direct Avengers if not Whedon?

What Barbelith said:

Realistically, they should have given it to Favreau or Leterrier.

Say what you want about The Incredible Hulk it was a good comic movie and I would been overjoyed if Leterrier got it.

They should've given Iron Man to Bryan Singer rather than Jon Favreau.

God I hope this is a joke. If Singer had directed Iron Man it was have been unfunny and Tony would have been fighting homosexual tendancies masked under feelings of ridicule or ostracization. X-Men and X-Men was good because at the time its the best we've had, they just don't hold up now in fact I would argue they are very "meh" compared to films like Iron Man, the Nolan Batman franchise and what we'll be seeing in the future. Singer to comic book films is overrated beyond belief.

He is. Which I suppose technically makes him Whedon's boss on the film.

Something tells me that Favreau won't be as involved as we'd like him to be, maybe if the director were new or fresh but someone like Whedon I think Favreau will be very hands off.

Its an amazing gamble that could pay off and people would be singing the praises of Whedon for years but if he ____s up it'll set the comic book films back ten steps. Getting a huge ensemble cast was always viewed as undoable and if the Avengers fails you can kiss films like a Justice League or things on that level goodbye. The X-Men films have always been The Wolverine Show with other mutants thrown in but with Avengers you'll have 90% of the team already established in films of their own and that is dangerous to play with right from the go.

barbelith
04-15-2010, 09:04 AM
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/04/14/joss-whedon-to-rewrite-avengers-script/

Whedon hired to rewrite the script...

Shai
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Fail...........

barbelith
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
But Zathura was a failure too and was the film that Favreau made right before Iron Man.

The key thing there is that Zathura showed Favreau could get the job done, and Elf had been a hit. Marvel had no clout at the time; they probably couldn't actually have gotten anyone better back then. Which is why the industry collectively gasped when Robert Downey Jr signed up...

Deckard
04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Whedon rewrite, great.

Downey and Norton should walk. This is like watching train wreck happen.

IrishJedi
04-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Yep. But it's this kinda train:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/06/18/business/19thomas-600.jpg

IrishJedi
04-15-2010, 09:31 AM
The key thing there is that Zathura showed Favreau could get the job done, and Elf had been a hit. Marvel had no clout at the time; they probably couldn't actually have gotten anyone better back then. Which is why the industry collectively gasped when Robert Downey Jr signed up...

And Whedon has directed exactly one film, and that was SERENITY.

Once MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is released soon, Edward Norton himself would have directed more movies than Lord Whedon.

Kabukiman
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
God I hope this is a joke.

It was. I was just making a point about citing inexperience in the genre as a mark against Whedon. :o

Darklord Dave
04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Ironically I teach a film class where the current project is whether or not Joss Whedon is overrated, they are viewing Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV Pilot) which is what I would argue is most revered for and then Dollhouse, Firefly (both pilots) and then deciding if he is worth the hype from these bits and pieces. :)

That's not really fair - you should air Once More with Feeling, Hush, and The Body from Buffy as directing samples. The Buffy pilot was a mishmash, put together from multiple shoots and I don't think he even directed it.

Once MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is released soon, Edward Norton himself would have directed more movies than Lord Whedon.

TV is a much better learning space for a director where they can figure out the fundamentals. At this point Whedon has directed more hours of filmed entertainment than most A-list directors. So saying he's inexperienced isn't really true.

The Mike
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I can add those three without much of an issue. I'm more interested to see what they think. I've kept it very neutral not showing my opinions either way but I definitely want to start with the Buffy pilot since it shows off his creation but according to what I could find online he DID directed it alongside Charles Martin Smith.

IrishJedi
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
TV is a much better learning space for a director where they can figure out the fundamentals. At this point Whedon has directed more hours of filmed entertainment than most A-list directors. So saying he's inexperienced isn't really true.
I have to respectfully disagree here as well. This is like saying a baseball pitcher who has been throwing in the minor leagues for 10 years is just as ready to pitch in the World Series as those with 3-4 years of major league experience. While the quality of TV entertainment has soared to unseen heights in the past decade, it's still a much much different animal than film in many ways. And Whedon is inexperienced there. That can't even be debated.

barbelith
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
That's not really fair - you should air Once More with Feeling, Hush, and The Body from Buffy as directing samples.

Of those, I'd say only The Body shows any promise from a direction standpoint. The other two are carried by the gimmick.

TV is a much better learning space for a director where they can figure out the fundamentals.

Actually, it's a terrible learning space for fundamentals, because so much is carried by the "house style" imposed by the various tech teams. There's a reason so many new directors come from music video and so few from TV. What makes it worse is Whedon was ostensibly directing genre action shows ... yet somehow failed to learn how to direct genre action, something that really became apparent in Serenity. That doesn't bode well for The Avengers.

IrishJedi
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Actually, it's a terrible learning space for fundamentals, because so much is carried by the "house style" imposed by the various tech teams. There's a reason so many new directors come from music video and so few from TV. What makes it worse is Whedon was ostensibly directing genre action shows ... yet somehow failed to learn how to direct genre action, something that really became apparent in Serenity. That doesn't bode well for The Avengers.

Hey, someone might actually teach him how to use multiple camera angles... and move at least one of them every once in a while. :lol

Agent0028
04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't know, but if it follows the Whedon career M.O. they will cancel THE AVENGERS 2/3 of the way through production. :lol

Well with the way Cap is shaping up they may well be the case. :monkey2

Shai
04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Confirmed, Hulk in....:rock2

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-17278.html

The Mike
04-27-2010, 09:40 AM
The plan was alway to have Hulk in it especially since he is CGI'd. Lou Ferrigno had said his contract included voice work for The Avengers at the time that The Incredible Hulk had come out. The real key is whether or not Norton ends up in it, that'll be news if he does.

Bullseye
04-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I hope Norton is playing BB.

Sweet Rabbit
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
The plan was alway to have Hulk in it especially since he is CGI'd. Lou Ferrigno had said his contract included voice work for The Avengers at the time that The Incredible Hulk had come out. The real key is whether or not Norton ends up in it, that'll be news if he does.

that mean he'll be full go hulk the whole movie? :monkey3

lcummins
04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
http://libsyn.com/images/thebookcave/TheAvengers60s.jpg

I always liked Mrs. Peel the best... oh wait... wrong Avengers... nevermind... :D

The Mike
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
They could do full Hulk or have Banner in the shadows never talking, never really seen. There are ways around having Norton in it but most fans probably want him there, myself included.

lcummins
04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
They could do full Hulk or have Banner in the shadows never talking, never really seen. There are ways around having Norton in it but most fans probably want him there, myself included.

I see what you did there... :rotfl

hairlesswookiee
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM

I thought he also wrote and directed Alien Resurrection??

SpawnFan
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
It was directed by a French guy, the one who did City of Lost Children. Forgot his name.

The Mike
04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I see what you did there... :rotfl

;) ;) ;) ;)

hunnipot85
05-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Could Kevin Pennington be our Hawkeye? Lot's of speculation who he could be playing but he could be in Avengers, Captain America, X-Men First Class or the Ka-Zar or Iron Fist films.
http://avengersnews.com/2010/05/08/new-marvel-superhero-cast/

Agent0028
05-09-2010, 09:53 AM
They're doing a Ka-Zar movie? That's even worse than doing an Ant Man movie...

What studio is doing Iron Fist?

hunnipot85
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I think Marvel Studios has it.

Agent0028
05-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Ah good. I don't know much about Iron Fist, but I like the idea of Marvel doing the bulk of their own heroes movies. A. it gives us crossover, which as comic book nerds we all love, and B. so far their movies seem superior to the other studios Marvel movies.

Sweet Rabbit
05-09-2010, 04:34 PM

I hope in the avengers, it's 95% hulk 5% banner

Agent0028
05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
I would like to see Hulk as the bad guy for the first part fo the movie, and then Banner gets things under control and ehlps out in the second part. But if Norton isn't on board I think Hulk will be the bad guy the whole time.

Deckard
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Who the ____ is Iron Fist?

Hey Marvel, save the money your gonna spend on Ant Man, Iron Fist, or whatever other Abercrombie thing your doing and give Norton whatever he asks for the Avengers ok? Thanks alot.

hunnipot85
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9409/ironfistcomicbook.jpg

Seems like he could be in the Avengers as a minor Avenger or Shield member.

Sweet Rabbit
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9409/ironfistcomicbook.jpg

Seems like he could be in the Avengers as a minor Avenger or Shield member.

then they need power man in there too to complete heroes for hire

Agent0028
05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Is Power Man Luke Cage?

DarthNeil
05-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Is Power Man Luke Cage?

Yes... with a fro.

Hulksmashed
05-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Who the ____ is Iron Fist?

Hey Marvel, save the money your gonna spend on Ant Man, Iron Fist, or whatever other Abercrombie thing your doing and give Norton whatever he asks for the Avengers ok? Thanks alot.

Say what now? I would MUCH prefer Ant Man and Iron Fist be in the movie then worry about Norton as Bruce Banner! More Any Man then Iron Fist, but still...

Norton is a great actor, but I wouldnt say he NAILED Bruce Banner. Robert Downey Jr NAILED Tony Stark. Christopher Reeves NAILED Superman/Clark Kent, Christian Bale NAILED Bruce Wayne. Hugh Jackman NAILED wolverine. Patrick Stewert NAILED proffessor X, Heath Ledger NAILED the Joker.

I wont forever think of Bruce Banner as Ed Norton, or vica versa. So why spend the bucks on an actor that doesnt really bring anything special to the character? :dunno

Deckard
05-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Say what now? I would MUCH prefer Ant Man and Iron Fist be in the movie then worry about Norton as Bruce Banner! More Any Man then Iron Fist, but still...

Norton is a great actor, but I wouldnt say he NAILED Bruce Banner. Robert Downey Jr NAILED Tony Stark. Christopher Reeves NAILED Superman/Clark Kent, Christian Bale NAILED Bruce Wayne. Hugh Jackman NAILED wolverine. Patrick Stewert NAILED proffessor X, Heath Ledger NAILED the Joker.

I wont forever think of Bruce Banner as Ed Norton, or vica versa. So why spend the bucks on an actor that doesnt really bring anything special to the character? :dunno

Why throw more and more crap into the mix and make it Xmen 3.

We already have Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Nick Fury, War Machine, Black Widow, plus maybe Bucky, Agent Coulson, possibly Betty Ross, General Ross, and whatever other bad guys and other supporting characters. How long do you think the movies going to be? Its not a weekly tv show like Superhero squad.

Call me crazy but I'd rather see them all act well togeather in a good story then just fly around and do neat superpower things like Antman trying to be squeezed in.

Marvel are going way the hell out of theyre way to connect all these movies, to lose not a supporting, but a LEADING actor, would be outright stupid. Especially someone as talented as Norton.

Its like saying they could do without RDJ because they could just always keep him in the armor.

The simple fact is the writing and story will suffer from trying to make sure everyone gets to do theyre cool superhero move onscreen at some point.

Agent0028
05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I doubt War Machine will be in it. Maybe Rhodey as a small cameo or something. And I don't think Widow will play a big part either, probably about as big of a part as she did in IM. I agree though that IM, Thor, Cap and Hulk are enough of a team. But I also think they can make Hulk the bad guy, only show him in Hulk form and introduce another character.

The Ween
05-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Since I don't read comics and don't know the story line behind The Avengers, did they have just certain members at first then recruit other member over time?

Darth Caedus
05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally it was: Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and The Hulk.

Then they added a bunch of members

The Ween
05-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally it was: Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and The Hulk.

Then maybe that's who they should start with.

Darth Caedus
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM

I think that's what they are going to start with. Don't know if Wasp will be in Ant-Man though, but she probably will

Bloodsport
05-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Im going on record saying the Avengers movies better be one of the best movies ever made and it must be longer than 2 hours. Im expecting LOTR calibur from the Avengers movies. I dont want fun I want to be amazed and in awe watching this movie.
P.S. I know that will never happen but it will be just a plain entertaining movie.

SUPREMEQUEEN
05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
ok, here's my predictions about the Avengers movie. There are 2, one is good the other bad. 1st the bad.

Due to the on going lame scripts & lazy directing that has been pleagueing Marvel lately I really don't see Avengers excceding past the 3.75 star mark. I could be wrong & will give the movie a fair shake like I do all films. But its my prediction both writers & director will end up painting them selves in several corners & reach for a crutch to get out. This will most likely been in the form of too many characters on screen to the point none of them have any real arch to their characters or any relavance to plot progression. A prime example of this "crutch effect" can be seen in Smallville. The rateing were going the route of ENRON & the show couldn't "hide" its failing rateing for much longer. So they reached for a couple of DC suport characters. Low & behold the Producers were blown away by the rateings. But like any junkie they just couldn't stay away. they kept dipping in the "JSA well" & before long the show was so far off track their was no going back.

Ok, now the good. Avengers will do far better in the team movie dept than DC could ever hope to do. So with that in mind Marvel won't have any real competition in the team hero dept.

EVILFACE
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Im going on record saying the Avengers movies better be one of the best movies ever made and it must be longer than 2 hours. Im expecting LOTR calibur from the Avengers movies. I dont want fun I want to be amazed and in awe watching this movie.
P.S. I know that will never happen but it will be just a plain entertaining movie.

It's gonna have major hype, great fx and decent acting from the cast and build up to the typical Marvel Movies 45 second battle with the bad guy, roll credits.

hairlesswookiee
05-10-2010, 01:11 AM
It's gonna have major hype, great fx and decent acting from the cast and build up to the typical Marvel Movies 45 second battle with the bad guy, roll credits.

Lol. I'm getting my flame suit on, but Im gonna say it right now that no matter how good it is we'll still be let down. I'm terrified that it'll end up a name-dropping cameo fest so the studios can pump out more solo movies.

Sweet Rabbit
05-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Since I don't read comics and don't know the story line behind The Avengers, did they have just certain members at first then recruit other member over time?

I think that's what they are going to start with. Don't know if Wasp will be in Ant-Man though, but she probably will

hulk never was a villian after he got kicked out of the avengers. ant-man & wasp joined after that

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm pretty sure Wasp is going to be in it... wasn't Eva Longoria talking about auditioning/seen at Marvel Studios?

thundergod
05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
What's happening regarding the Ant Man movie ? Is Edgar Wright still involved ? Things have gone rather quiet on that front and as far as I know Ant Man's name doesn't get a mention when the Avengers movie is talked about .:pray:

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Looks like Hunky Kevin is most likely going to be in Avengers...
http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=13107

Him, Evans, Hemsworth, Downey & Norton?!?! :drool :drool :drool

The ill Jedi
05-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure Wasp is going to be in it... wasn't Eva Longoria talking about auditioning/seen at Marvel Studios?
:monkey4 Ugh, God no, please!!

I'd rather someone like Kristen Kreuk, who is actually pretty and resembles Wasp (little and cute) play her.

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I hate her too... we are so alike Illy! ;) :lol

The ill Jedi
05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
I hate her too... we are so alike Illy! ;) :lol
:yess: :hi5: :1-1:

The Mike
05-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally it was: Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and The Hulk. Then they added a bunch of members

This is actually inaccurate...slightly. It began as Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Iron Man and The Hulk.

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/avengers-1.jpg

Captain America didn't join the team until Issue #4, Hulk left by Issue #3. Captain America is also given "founding member" status in the Hulk's place.

hulk never was a villian after he got kicked out of the avengers. ant-man & wasp joined after that

Hulk was NEVER kicked out. The Hulk leaves once he realizes how much the others fear his unstable personality after Loki tricks him in Issue #1 in hopes to bate out Thor.

Wasp will be in it according to Kevin Feige but no one has been casted Longoria did meet with them but that was about a year ago with nothing coming of it so I would assume no. Jeremy Renner was supposedly up for Hawkeye as well but nothing official has come of that too.

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 12:54 PM
any chance Kevin could be a mutant or something? considering they are doing a dazzler movie and ka-zar movie, marvel studios has the rights to some muties right? and that fits the description of the character never being part of shield or avengers...

The Mike
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Well the report already has him confirmed as a SHIELD member so I'd look in that universe. Marvel Studios doesn't have the rights to anything they've signed away but they've said to both Sony and Fox no new characters not included in that agreement. So I really don't know how many muties that involves but it doesn't involve all of them I'm sure.

Darth Caedus
05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
This is actually inaccurate...slightly. It began as Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Iron Man and The Hulk.

Captain America didn't join the team until Issue #4, Hulk left by Issue #3. Captain America is also given "founding member" status in the Hulk's place.

Hulk was NEVER kicked out. The Hulk leaves once he realizes how much the others fear his unstable personality after Loki tricks him in Issue #1 in hopes to bate out Thor.

Wasp will be in it according to Kevin Feige but no one has been casted Longoria did meet with them but that was about a year ago with nothing coming of it so I would assume no. Jeremy Renner was supposedly up for Hawkeye as well but nothing official has come of that too.

I didn't want to make it too complicated and just summarized it for film purposes. But seeing as though Hulk, IM, Cap, Thor, Ant-Man films are in the works, assumed they were going to be The Avengers

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Well the report already has him confirmed as a SHIELD member so I'd look in that universe. Marvel Studios doesn't have the rights to anything they've signed away but they've said to both Sony and Fox no new characters not included in that agreement. So I really don't know how many muties that involves but it doesn't involve all of them I'm sure.

That could be really interesting if they did make him a mutant (or really anyone in the cast) that FOX didn't have the rights to. On top of that a SHIELD agent or an Avenger as well?

I hope they can put Scarlet Witch in, she'd be cool to see on screen!

Agent0028
05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't see Ant-Man as that interesting of a character, I'd rather have Hank as a SHIELD scientist. Wasp is cool, but why add another character and complicate things?

Bamboota
05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks like Hunky Kevin is most likely going to be in Avengers...
http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=13107

Him, Evans, Hemsworth, Downey & Norton?!?! :drool :drool :drool

OMG............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................:drool

*runs to go get a towel*

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
mmmhmmm :lol
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_background_images/100019480/00012.jpg

Bamboota
05-10-2010, 09:58 PM
mmmhmmm :lol
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_background_images/100019480/00012.jpg

Humina Humina Humina!:horror:drool

Where did this hunk of a man come from!?

hunnipot85
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Abercrombie & Fitch... his imdb says he graduated from the same college as me too! :lol

awesome!!

creature4000
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm sorry, I just don't see Ant-Man as that interesting of a character, I'd rather have Hank as a SHIELD scientist. Wasp is cool, but why add another character and complicate things?

Ant man is the comic relief! :monkey3

thundergod
05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Ant man is the comic relief! :monkey3

Simon Pegg anyone ?

The Mike
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
If Edgar Wright is still helming it I wouldn't put it past that casting.

thundergod
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I think you could pretty much guarantee it !:exactly:

Kuzeh
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM

Love that cover!!
And love Loki's line...
"The Avengers... Bah! I'll destroy you All!
:lol:lol!!

The Ween
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Humina Humina Humina!:horror:drool

Where did this hunk of a man come from!?

He just doesn't do a thing for me. :dunno

wHySoSeRiOuS203
05-11-2010, 02:33 PM

:clap :exactly: :goodpost: :clap :1-1:

Bamboota
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
He just doesn't do a thing for me. :dunno

WHAT!!! I guess thats good...less competition!:nana:

The Mike
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
My biggest fear from The Avengers is that it'll feel disjointed. IM2 had Black Widow, Nick Fury, Iron Man, War Machine, Whiplash, Justin Hammer and none of their stories even the continuation of Tony's story felt completely flushed out. Even though they'll be introduced in their own films, I fear that with so many characters to deal with it'll feel amazingly rushed.

hairlesswookiee
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
My biggest fear from The Avengers is that it'll feel disjointed. IM2 had Black Widow, Nick Fury, Iron Man, War Machine, Whiplash, Justin Hammer and none of their stories even the continuation of Tony's story felt completely flushed out. Even though they'll be introduced in their own films, I fear that with so many characters to deal with it'll feel amazingly rushed.

This is why I think the Avengers should be postponed until all the characters have their solo shot first. Get the origin telling out of the way, but just find a way to tie them right in the Avengers.

bouncing_boy77
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
here's hoping that thor and captain america will be a nice transition to the avengers movie.

Agent0028
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
This is why I think the Avengers should be postponed until all the characters have their solo shot first. Get the origin telling out of the way, but just find a way to tie them right in the Avengers.

If they keep it at Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk they won't need to postpone it.

I think it'd be great, and maybe the best idea, if they did Avengers in two parts like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The Ween
05-11-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm hoping that there's an extended edition to IM 2. I think they were trying to hard to keep it to two hours.

hunnipot85
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/892922755/002_copy.jpg
New pic! (from his twitter)

I have a few from his facebook tooo... lol i think i prefer his non prof pics too. he's hot!

All the websites are reporting he's Hawkeye. For those interested, he confirmed he was going to be at this years SDCC. Not sure if he's meaning he's going to be part of something there or just going... :lol

kl241
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
The Avengers will be the new Craptastic Four.

hunnipot85
05-11-2010, 09:29 PM
what makes you think that? it has some great actors in it, unlike F4. Plus i think Joss Whedon will make it great, unlike the F4 director.

kl241
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Well first of all it has Chris Evans in it. Second of all, Iron Man will probably only make a cameo after IM2 so he will only show up to save the day when Cap and the others are getting their asses kicked.

CelticPredator
05-11-2010, 09:33 PM
No. Fox isnt involved.

Sweet Rabbit
05-12-2010, 04:03 AM
No. Fox isnt involved.

:hi5::hi5::hi5:

UTtoyfan
05-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Abercrombie & Fitch... his imdb says he graduated from the same college as me too! :lol

awesome!!

Cool! Since he went to our school, he's alright in my book. From IMDB, it doesn't look like he's been in much except for that 90210 show. But Marvel probably saw something in him.

Ra88
05-12-2010, 06:43 AM
If Edgar Wright is still helming it I wouldn't put it past that casting.

Wasn't Nathan Fillion going to play Ant-Man?

hunnipot85
05-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Cool! Since he went to our school, he's alright in my book. From IMDB, it doesn't look like he's been in much except for that 90210 show. But Marvel probably saw something in him.

For sure! Yeah, I just found out that I even know people who knew him in school too. Gosh, I wish I took more finance classes.. :( :lol

hunnipot85
05-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Wasn't Nathan Fillion going to play Ant-Man?

I hope so!!

The Mike
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Nathan Fillion was a rumor thrown out earlier this year. I would assume that after Cap is under way we'll get definitive Avengers Casting

hunnipot85
05-13-2010, 07:29 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2648/98/43/1129447539/n1129447539_1204116_5248707.jpg
Swooon!
(credit his facebook...)

Most people think he's Hawkeye, Rick Jones (who??) or Antman.

Edit: he confirmed he is NOT Antman.
Said his comic character never wore a mask & that he was dying his hair black for a film (not sure if that's related)

The Mike
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Well Hawkeye is blonde and almost always wore a mask. Ant Man is a blonde and again wore a mask. The thing is that I thought they said he'd be a SHIELD agent. Rick Jones never was one, what he was or is, is the best friend of ol' Green Goliath The Hulk. I don't know much about Rick himself but check this from Wiki:

Early days with the Hulk and the Avengers
Rick's guilt over causing the incident (and lack of any other place to go) leads him to stay close to Dr. Banner and his alter ego, spending some time as the Hulk's sidekick. For a time, he even gains mental control over the Hulk. Eventually the dangerous unpredictability of the Hulk forces Rick to keep his distance. Rick forms the Teen Brigade, a loose network of teenagers with ham radios throughout the United States. The first Teen Brigade played a role in the origin of the Avengers, because it was the tampering of a radio transmission the Brigade intended to send to the Fantastic Four that brought the original Avengers (Iron Man, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Thor) together to fight the Hulk as part of a plan by Loki. Loki's plan backfires and the Avengers are formed.[3]

After the Hulk's departure from the team, Rick remains close to the Avengers, earning a position as an honorary Avenger. He became close to the recently revived Captain America although his guilt leads him to leave the Avengers and seek out Banner and the Hulk for a time.[4] Captain America rescues Rick from one of the Hulk's rampages, and Rick becomes Captain America's sidekick. Rick briefly takes the title and uniform of Bucky, Cap's long-dead partner. This was on Jones' own insistence: Cap continues to have guilty objections, noting that others have lost partners and it was time to move on. Rick's brief time as Bucky gave him the training to survive around superheroes to this day

That could very well how we see this guy.

hunnipot85
05-13-2010, 09:35 AM
From the original source:
- He will be a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, but also a fan favorite character from the comics (characters origin may be changed to fit in the movie, and may never have been in S.H.I.E.L.D. or Avengers in the comics)

I think he's Rick Jones or Clint Barton (not as Hawkeye yet) I'm pretty sure they could easily make either of those a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent without fans getting upset. And i'm sure the most of him we'd see would be Jackson giving him an order and calling him by his last name... :lol

If he has black hair then I have no idea.

thanks for the info Mike! ;)

Sweet Rabbit
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Well Hawkeye is blonde and almost always wore a mask. Ant Man is a blonde and again wore a mask. The thing is that I thought they said he'd be a SHIELD agent. Rick Jones never was one, what he was or is, is the best friend of ol' Green Goliath The Hulk. I don't know much about Rick himself but check this from Wiki:

That could very well how we see this guy.

rick jones was also genis-vell's alter ego too

hunnipot85
05-14-2010, 07:48 PM
So apparantly Norton needs fans to bother Marvel to get him back in Avengers??? :lol ok
So he's pretty much finally confirmed.

Pennington is Rick Jones. Nobody tell me differently. Well from a new list he could be Barton, Sentry or a bunch of WTF characters.

And Nathan Fillion is supposedly going to be Ant Man and announced around Comic Con.

hunnipot85
05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Now Marvel is debunking the recent Nathan Filion has pretty much been cast as Henry Pym rumor.

Also saying Kevin is Noh Varr, Rick Jones or Clint Barton (not as Hawkeye)

http://avengersnews.com/2010/05/16/nathan-fillion-as-henry-pym-not-so-fast-plus-more-on-kevin-pennington%E2%80%99s-role/

Agent0028
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Of the three I think Clint Barton would be best. He can be a SHIELD agent and leave it open for him to become Hawkeye in his own movie or a sequel.

The Ween
05-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Since I don't follow the comics, you all are talking French to me. :lol

Agent0028
05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm not far behind you ween, I know just enough to not sound like a complete idiot (sometimes) and I use wikipedia to fill in the other blanks.

hunnipot85
05-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Wikipedia has helped me a lot with learning about the Avengers, still couldn't tell you who was part of the original group though... :lol

Agent0028
05-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I think it was Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Ant Man, and Hulk. Then in one of the early issues Cas was thawed out and joined and Hulk left.

hunnipot85
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Ah, thanks...
So Pennington is either Rick Jones or Noh-Varr..

My guess is Noh-Varr, only because it has so many possibilities and the character to be on the list for any reason is interesting.
- He was Marvel Boy and Captain Marvel
- He's a Kree alien and it would open up the whole possibilities that the earth heroes aren't alone
- Skrulls in future films, aliens, space, all that good stuff
- Dark Avengers

Plus, since Green Lantern is coming out with DC isn't that really space influenced? Marvel has to go there someday... AND I think Marvel would want to secure "Captain Marvel" on screen before DC tries too.

That's just my two cents... I can't see Rick Jones having anything really big to contribute in the future. Why tweak with a character to make him cooler when there's already cooler alternatives?

The Mike
05-19-2010, 09:40 AM
According to Lauren Donner Shueller another Hulk movie will be made after The Avengers....Rick Jones would be directly connected to that if it comes to pass.

BTW...your sig made me very happy.

hunnipot85
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
hehe, glad you like it! ;)

Agent0028
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
If they were going to have Captain Marvel why not have the real one instead of the new one?

hunnipot85
05-19-2010, 05:59 PM
maybe modernize it/change it up a bit? im sure its all going to be ultimates and not traditional... right?

Agent0028
05-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I know there's alot of talk about that, but I don't think there is much evidence of it yet. Just speculation it will. Either way iirc Mar-Vell was Captain Marvel in the Ultimate Universe and not Noh-Varr.

hunnipot85
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
So... Skrulls the main villain in Avengers? What do ya think?

hunnipot85
06-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Jeremy Renner is probably Hawkeye: http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/06/jeremy-renner-poised-to-join-marvels-avengers.html

hicks
06-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Jeremy Renner is probably Hawkeye: http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/06/jeremy-renner-poised-to-join-marvels-avengers.html

yea i have seen that on a another reliable sourse
i wonder when its confirmed (touch wood) how much involved he will be

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28057

Agent0028
06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I just hope they don't put too many characters in the movie, I think it will do better with a smaller cast of heroes.

DarthNeil
06-04-2010, 05:18 PM
So... Skrulls the main villain in Avengers? What do ya think?

I hope not-- at least for the first one. It has to be a foe of worth that'll bring them together (I'd like to think Kang) but I'd like to see the Skrulls saved for a sequel down the road...

tomandshell
06-04-2010, 05:28 PM
With as many heroes as they are trying to cram into this movie, there won't be time for any bad guys.

Agent0028
06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I would like to see a Skrull invasion made as a trilogy. That way it'll keep it epic and allow room for more characters.

DarthNeil
06-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I would like to see a Skrull invasion made as a trilogy. That way it'll keep it epic and allow room for more characters.

At least over two movies with another to start things out. The first Avengers could be the feeling out (with a villain like Kang or even a hold-over from the Thor movie just like in the original comic with Loki messing with them) and then in the second one the Skrull threat is introduced. The second movie could end in a dark way (a la ESB) where almost all hope seems lost and then the third would wrap things up...

That'd be killer.

Agent0028
06-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I guess that does make more sense given actors and contracts etc.

But that got me thinking... In comics costume designs change, different authors have different styles, authors take characters in different direction than may not always go along with the way the character was previously. So, howwould all of you feel to have new actors continue the roles in the same way Bond has had many different actors?

The Mike
06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.bamkapow.com/ul/4550-zz6b33b815.jpg

jye4ever
06-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Man, Brad Pitt sure looks amazing as Thor :rock

fuzzylojiks
06-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Man, Brad Pitt sure looks amazing as Thor :rock

WTF? That's not Brad Pitt, it's obviously Jay Leno. :lecture

The Mike
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Another Fanmade: Interesting who they cast alongside these confirmed stars...

http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/images/ZZ38C9FBA9.jpg

tomandshell
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Who the heck is that chick next to Samuel Jackson?

The Mike
06-16-2010, 11:19 PM
That would be my girlfriend, Ashley Greene

http://www.hotmommagossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ASHLEY-GREENE-NAKED-SOBE.jpg

tomandshell
06-17-2010, 01:49 AM
OK, I guess she's from Twilight, which is why I didn't recognize her. Although if those are screen caps from Twilight, I'm starting to think that I have the wrong idea about that series...

jimjimmyjones85
06-17-2010, 06:21 AM

http://www.hotmommagossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ASHLEY-GREENE-NAKED-SOBE.jpg

The best thing about those movies !!!!

IrishJedi
06-17-2010, 06:47 AM

So you have an open marriage, eh? This is good to know. :hi5:

(:lol :duff)

iron.jedi83
06-17-2010, 08:00 AM

she is the reason im a fan of the movies, just pure hotness

Agent0028
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Eh, I prefer the other poster, mnostly because I don't see a need for all those characters in it. Ashley Greene is hot though.

The Mike
06-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Actually I like her outside Twilight...I feel they hide her best assets in those movies. The Twilight films are filled with hotness. There is Ashley Greene, Jessica Kendrick and one of the biggest "hidden" talents is Christian Serratos...look up her PETA campaign and you'll see....I might even use it in a new Sig.

So you have an open marriage, eh? This is good to know. :hi5:(:lol :duff)

:lol touche. Now stop telling my wife I flirt with girls around here...too many questions being asked now. :nana:

IrishJedi
06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
:lol touche. Now stop telling my wife I flirt with girls around here...too many questions being asked now. :nana:

Tell her to just give me a call. We'll work it all out. :wink1: :nana:

The Mike
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Norton reportedly out of the avengers

what had once seemed like an innovative master plan by marvel is now proving to be more of the same hollywood indifference. The realization that iron man was to be the first entry in a collective, fully consistent franchise that would eventually culminate with the avengers—featuring all pre-established characters, presumably to be played by the same actors—was almost too good to be true. And as expected, it was. The first sign of trouble was about two years ago, when marvel had terrence howard replaced by don cheadle on iron man 2. If they were willing to let an actor playing as prominent a returning character as war machine be swapped out, who else would they be willing to let go?

Well, now we know.

Edward norton will not be playing the hulk in the avengers. Oh, the character will return all right, but he will be played by “an unknown”. More about this development after the break.

Hitfix is reporting the news, and claims that it’s been confirmed by marvel sources. According to them, marvel has already informed norton that they won’t be using him in the film. This is despite his interest in returning to the role—a prospect that apparently both he and (all-but-confirmed) director joss whedon were very enthusiastic about.

Given both marvel’s and norton’s history, there seems like three potential explanations behind this.

The first is money. Marvel has been notoriously stingy when it comes to paying their cast and crew, so it’s possible that they simply weren’t willing to offer a high enough amount to cover norton’s salary. The incredible hulk wasn’t exactly a huge moneymaker; it makes sense that they wouldn’t want to shell out several millions of dollars for a character that audiences weren’t terribly interested in watching to begin with. Add to that, norton’s screen time in the avengers would be limited—not just because the film is an ensemble piece, but because his character is largely created through cgi.

Another theory is that dealing with norton on the incredible hulk was too big of a hassle, and they didn’t want a repeat of events with the avengers.

And lastly, there’s the possibility that marvel just doesn’t really care. Maybe they think continuity isn’t too big of a deal, so long as it doesn’t affect their box office intake. Maybe they’re already satisfied with the actor roster they’ve set in place (robert downey jr., chris evans, samuel l. Jackson, chris hemsworth, don cheadle, jeremy renner), and don’t see why it would be important to maintain the consistency of the world they’ve established by also hiring on norton.

Maybe—just maybe—it’s a combination of all three. That’s all we have right now though: Maybe’s. Until we know for sure, i hope there’s at least one thing we can agree in the midst of all this: This news blows.

shiveringmelody
07-10-2010, 08:39 AM
As much as I love Joss Whedon and the decision to let him direct "The Avengers, this is really starting to bother me with Marvel Studios. I let it pass with Don taking over as Rhodey/War Machine. This is getting ridiculous, Norton was fantastic in The Incredible Hulk and I really wanted the main attractions to stay as they are.