PDA

View Full Version : "No Country" Best Picture? Really?

RJMacReady16
06-24-2008, 07:48 PM
I know this is several months late....

But after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers (love 'em), but I know a robbery when I see one.

Was this another one of those Oscar "theme" years? Like when they had the "Black Oscars" with Whoopie hosting, Denzel & Halle winning, and Sidney Poitier receiving the Honorary?

Seems like this was a Coen Bros. tribute year...which is great...but it stole the thunder from the greatest dramatic film of the decade.

Am I alone in this?

galactiboy
06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I'll have to disagree... I much prefered No Country over Blood. Both were excellent, but personally I felt much more of a connection to the characters in No Country.

djklambake
06-24-2008, 07:53 PM
The Oscars is a popularity contest. Simple as that.

P.T.A. will end up with a golden naked guy some time in his career.

Edit: I prefer "No Country" over "Blood" personally.

Entropy
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Aren't all awards shows and elections for that matter popularity contests? What was the most popular movie/candidate among the voters. Isn't that kinda the point?

I enjoyed both films but No Country was much better IMO. The book is AMAZING!! Yay Cormac McCarthy! Bring on Viggo in The Road next.

bagelsncheesey
06-24-2008, 08:47 PM
No Country kills Blood, ten fold.

I've read both books as well. No Country wins that bout too.

Shai
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
There will be blood was my favorite of the two because of the performance of Daniel Day Lewis....I was in Awe watching him in every scene of the movie..Simply awesome.Both films were really really good.

Grange Wallis
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
No Country was the better film... It kind of reminded me of Terminator... they way were customising there guns and self-doctoring themselves... Don't as me why it just did...

customizerwannabe
06-24-2008, 08:53 PM

But after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers (love 'em), but I know a robbery when I see one.

Was this another one of those Oscar "theme" years? Like when they had the "Black Oscars" with Whoopie hosting, Denzel & Halle winning, and Sidney Poitier receiving the Honorary?

Seems like this was a Coen Bros. tribute year...which is great...but it stole the thunder from the greatest dramatic film of the decade.

Am I alone in this?

I agree 100% I loved Blood and found No Country unwatchable.

djklambake
06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Aren't all awards shows and elections for that matter popularity contests? What was the most popular movie/candidate among the voters. Isn't that kinda the point?

I enjoyed both films but No Country was much better IMO. The book is AMAZING!! Yay Cormac McCarthy! Bring on Viggo in The Road next.

I think what I meant was popularity OUTSIDE of the movies themselves.

YoNoSe
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I think No Country earned it fair and square, but they're both deserving. Think about this - in 1994 Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption.

Grange Wallis
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
...No Country unwatchable.

So is your face!
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/LLMcGee/scrubs.jpg

McHavyck
06-24-2008, 09:03 PM
while i will agree that There Will be Blood knocked it out of the park with DDL's preformance, No County For Old Men was just a far superior film IMO.

the Cohen Bro's really know how to make an entertining film.

tomandshell
06-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Given the choice, I would have given the Oscar to Blood over No Country. I love the Coen brothers, but this isn't my favorite of their films and it felt like they were rewarding them more for their past work (as with Denzel Washington for Training Day).

The ill Jedi
06-24-2008, 09:11 PM
...after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.
I feel the same way, I thought 'No Country' was waaaaay overrated. I think either Juno or 'blood' should've won the oscar. Daniel Day Lewis was masterful and Juno was a refreshing new flick, 'Old Men' was nothing special in my eyes.

I think The Big Lebowski and Fargo are FAR better movies than No Country.

Ven
06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
honestly viggo in eastern promises should have won... with blood at second.. no country was really good just not as good as the two I stated.

tomandshell
06-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I thought Viggo was great in Eastern Promises, but I wouldn't put him above Daniel Day Lewis in TWBB.

Ven
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
its a hard decision.. but I'm a bit biased.. haha

Odowankenobi
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I preferred No Country over TWBB (although both are on my best films of the year list.) At the very least, Daniel Day-Lewis received a best actor nod. His performance really was that movie.

hairlesswookiee
06-24-2008, 10:07 PM
There will be blood was my favorite of the two because of the performance of Daniel Day Lewis....I was in Awe watching him in every scene of the movie..Simply awesome.Both films were really really good.

yessir!!!! Daniel Day Lewis has been one of my favorite actors since i saw him in Gangs of New York. before that i never really knew who he was. :duh

Entropy
06-24-2008, 10:13 PM

Lebowski is a ton of fun, but not a Best Picture contender. Fargo's definitely in contention but the humor undercuts the drama a bit. No Country is a more mature story. I just wish they hadn't cut the best character development bits that were in the book. Sheriff Bell was far more interesting and nuanced in the book.

Odowankenobi
06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Are Big Lebowski and Fargo more enjoyable films? Certainly. But if you're looking at it from an artistic stnadpoint, No Country wins. Not that art should be the sole facot rin determining the quality of the film. I'm far more likely to pop in Lebowski or Fargo than I am No Country. I simply enjoy them more. However, I cannot deny how great a film No Country is.

Shai
06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
DRAINAAAAAAAAAAGE !!!!!!!

I DRANK YOUR MILKSHAKE !!!!

Best scene ever !!!! lollllll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAlN9hJLIM&feature=related

GuruAskew
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
"There Will Be Blood" is a great movie.

That said, "No Country for Old Men" is the most-deserving Best Picture winner since "The Silence of the Lambs", which in turn was the most-deserving Best Picture winner since "The Godfather Part II".

On any other year "TWBB" would have been a shoe-in but "NCfOM" is like the kind of movie that comes along every decade if you're lucky.

Buttmunch
06-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I didn't like No Country or Blood. :dunno

Grange Wallis
06-25-2008, 12:31 AM

No Country is completely different to those 2 movies to even compare...

darthviper107
06-25-2008, 01:43 AM
I didn't really like There Will Be Blood, it was extremely boring. It wasn't a bad movie, great acting and everything, but so boring the first hour felt like 5 hours and I couldn't finish the rest.

Really to me, they keep on forgetting a big thing about movies--they have to be entertaining, and most of the movies that they choose for awards really aren't entertaining, they're just though provoking. That's one reason I don't like Citizen Kane.

uscmhicks
06-25-2008, 03:43 AM
I think no country deserved to win , it was something new and was a very intense movie.
:)

Need to still buy it actually on dvd.

Blake
06-25-2008, 05:11 AM
No Country was a brilliant movie. The movie is gripping as heck with very minimal dialogue or score, which is a credit to the filmmakers. The direction and acting are both top-notch. There Will Be Blood is an incredible movie as well. Both pictures really tell how at the end of the day, you have to be evil and out for number one if you want to survive.

Having said that, the best movie from last year was Zodiac. Zodiac got robbed by not even being nominated, even though I thought it was the best of the best.

creature4000
06-25-2008, 05:22 AM
No country for Old Men was a waste of time!!!

DinoLast
06-25-2008, 05:40 AM
No country for old men was the winner for me although it was close. If you live outside the US, you can buy the region A blu-ray of No country, as its not region locked

uscmhicks
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Having said that, the best movie from last year was Zodiac. Zodiac got robbed by not even being nominated, even though I thought it was the best of the best.

Yeah Zodiac was a great great movie. I think this was about the time Robert started to come up in the spotlight again . Then he went on to Iron Man and kicked major ass ! :rock

The ill Jedi
06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
No Country is completely different to those 2 movies to even compare...
Wasn't comparing, what I am saying is as far as Coen Bros. movies that I like go, 'No Country' is very low on my list.

woodsy
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
I think the Academy got it right. DDL was rewared for his performance in "Blood" but for me, aside from his performance, the movie was a giant snorefest. Overall though, I think "No Country" was a superior movie.

Darth Caedus
06-25-2008, 07:13 AM
DRAINAAAAAAAAAAGE !!!!!!!

I DRANK YOUR MILKSHAKE !!!!

Best scene ever !!!! lollllll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAlN9hJLIM&feature=related

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl I still quote that all the time. DDL surely gave a better performance then ANYBODY in No Country, but I think No Country was a better movie

galactiboy
06-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Its hard for me to rank Coen brothers films as their is so much variety in what they have done. There is always a feel and sensibility to their films, but with greats like Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou and Fargo its difficult to pick a pony.

But I absolutely loved No Country for Old Men, it was a very simple story, but hte characters and way it played out was (to me) incredibly enjoyable and its a movie I've watched many times since getting it on DVD. And a bit part of is Anton Chigurh's, who to me is one of the best characters I've seen on the screen in a long time.

And in the same vein, I think DDL performance in "Blood" was equally phenomenal, but the movie overall didn't work as well and its not one I plan to see multiple times.

Blake
06-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah Zodiac was a great great movie. I think this was about the time Robert started to come up in the spotlight again . Then he went on to Iron Man and kicked major ass ! :rock

Agreed. I even think that his acting in Zodiac is far superior to Iron Man. Don't get me wrong, he rocks as Iron Man, but that shows just how good he is in Zodiac.

Dusty
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree 100% I loved Blood and found No Country unwatchable.

I'm the exact opposite, although No Country wasn't my favorite film of the year. But Blood was unwatchable for me. I can't stand DDL - and it's not just because I want to be 'different'. I just hate his style of of completely over-the-top stage acting. In a play - sure. On the screen - gag.

I vastly preferred Juno and Atonement, but understand why No Country won.

tomandshell
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM
If only Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were still alive, the genius filmmakers behind the SCARY/DATE/EPIC movies could hire them to do a spoof called "No Country for Grumpy Old Men."

galactiboy
06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
If only Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were still alive, the genius filmmakers behind the SCARY/DATE/EPIC movies could hire them to do a spoof called "No Country for Grumpy Old Men."

I think that would give "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2" a run for its money come next Oscar season :lecture I know I would have trouble picking a favorite.

El Roranous
06-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I didn't really like either of them. :lol

Bannister
06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm the exact opposite, although No Country wasn't my favorite film of the year. But Blood was unwatchable for me. I can't stand DDL - and it's not just because I want to be 'different'. I just hate his style of of completely over-the-top stage acting. In a play - sure. On the screen - gag.

I vastly preferred Juno and Atonement, but understand why No Country won.

I hate... so much about the things that you choose to be.

CAhobbit
06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
I preferred 'No Country For Old Men' and really do think it was the most deserving of Best Picture. Now, I did enjoy 'There Will be Blood'. DDL was fantastic in it and the story kept me glued to the screen but there was just something a little big more intriguing about 'No Country for Old Men' for me.

Eli26
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Am I alone in this?

I thought it was a worse travesty in 1994 when Forrest Gump was awarded Best Picture over the Shawshank Redemption.

Sick Boy 82
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I hated "Blood" and thought DDL wasn't really that good. He was really, really good in almost any other movie except for that. I only liked about 1 hour out of 3 of the movie.

"No Country" was an amazing movie and should have taken tops in all, but I also loved "Micheal Clayton" and "Gone Baby Gone". And I went to see all those movies loving the ^^^^ out of the trailers and wanting to own them all on DVD even before I saw them. "Blood" is the only one I won't own.

"Juno" also killed and "Pirates" shouldn't have even been on the list. Only good part about "Pirates" was the rock crab thingys!!! Loved those guys!

And what happen to "Eastern Promises" and "Kingdom"??!! Loved both of them too!!!! Viggo didn't even get a nod?? WTF was that about!!

PsychoCenobite
06-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I watched 'No Country for Old Men' again the other day and liked it more the second time I saw it. I still prefer 'There Will Be Blood'. Both Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano where great. Both of their acting was amazing!

"Get out of here, and don't you dare turn around and come back, for if you do, all the armies of my boot will kick you in the teeth, and you will be cast up, and thrown in the dirt, and thrust back to Perdition! And as long as I have teeth, I will bite you! And if I have no teeth, I will gum you! And as long as I have fists, I will bash you! Now, get out of here ghost! Get out of here, ghost! Get out of here, ghost!"

And the classic...

"Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Can't wait for the BluRay! :chew

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

EVILFACE
06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Country was a far better film. You actually cared about the characters, good and bad.

Eli26
06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I watched 'No Country for Old Men' again the other day and liked it more the second time I saw it. I still prefer 'There Will Be Blood'. Both Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano where great. Both of their acting was amazing!

"Get out of here, and don't you dare turn around and come back, for if you do, all the armies of my boot will kick you in the teeth, and you will be cast up, and thrown in the dirt, and thrust back to Perdition! And as long as I have teeth, I will bite you! And if I have no teeth, I will gum you! And as long as I have fists, I will bash you! Now, get out of here ghost! Get out of here, ghost! Get out of here, ghost!"

And the classic...

"Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Can't wait for the BluRay! :chew

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee suck sir! What?! Forrest Gump isn't in the same league as the ShawShank Redemption!

OK SITHLORD
06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Country was a far better film. You actually cared about the characters, good and bad.

:lecture:lecture:clap:clap I was pissed when the dude, that found the money died, NO COUNTRY, hands down. IMO:rock

galactiboy
06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
:lecture:lecture:clap:clap I was pissed when **************** NO COUNTRY, hands down. IMO:rock

Good spoiler guy :lol Hopefully no one reads that if they haven't watched it yet :lol

EVILFACE
06-25-2008, 03:45 PM
:lecture:lecture:clap:clap I was pissed when the dude, that found the money died, NO COUNTRY, hands down. IMO:rock

I didn't mind that, but I was pissed we didn't get to see it happen.

OK SITHLORD
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Good spoiler guy :lol Hopefully no one reads that if they haven't watched it yet :lol

:slap sorry guys!!

OK SITHLORD
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I didn't mind that, but I was pissed we didn't get to see it happen.

:clap:clap:clap:clap Right on man!!!

IronFingaz
06-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I love both movies equally. Two of the best westerns in years. Superb acting in both movies and great stories. It's hard to pick a favorite because they're two different movies. There Will Be Blood is like a period piece and a bio-pic, i guess, where you see how Daniel Plainview became this rich oil tycoon. Kind of like Citizen Kane. Where as No Country For Old Men is more of an action western, which reminds a bit of Terminator like stated earlier. Both movies deserved the awards they got, especially Daniel-Day Lewis.

But No Country... will get more spins in the DVD player because it's a action-western, it has a shorter runtime and it doesn't need as much attention to the story like There Will Be Blood will :D

OK SITHLORD
06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I love both movies equally. Two of the best westerns in years. Superb acting in both movies and great stories. It's hard to pick a favorite because they're two different movies. There Will Be Blood is like a period piece and a bio-pic, i guess, where you see how Daniel Plainview became this rich oil tycoon. Kind of like Citizen Kane. Where as No Country For Old Men is more of an action western, which reminds a bit of Terminator like stated earlier. Both movies deserved the awards they got, especially Daniel-Day Lewis.

But No Country... will get more spins in the DVD player because it's a action-western, it has a shorter runtime and it doesn't need as much attention to the story like There Will Be Blood will :D

:slap J/K IRON!:D

RJMacReady16
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I guess I was wrong. It seems that "No Country" has overwhelming fan-support versus "Blood".

Just seems like for once I really enjoyed a movie that is typically right up Oscar's alley ("Blood") and they gave it the cold shoulder.

But don't get me started on the fact that "Juno" was even nominated....:monkey4