"No Country" Best Picture? Really?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJMacReady16

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know this is several months late....

But after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers (love 'em), but I know a robbery when I see one.

Was this another one of those Oscar "theme" years? Like when they had the "Black Oscars" with Whoopie hosting, Denzel & Halle winning, and Sidney Poitier receiving the Honorary?

Seems like this was a Coen Bros. tribute year...which is great...but it stole the thunder from the greatest dramatic film of the decade.

Am I alone in this?

I'll have to disagree... I much prefered No Country over Blood. Both were excellent, but personally I felt much more of a connection to the characters in No Country.

The Oscars is a popularity contest. Simple as that.

P.T.A. will end up with a golden naked guy some time in his career.

Edit: I prefer "No Country" over "Blood" personally.

Aren't all awards shows and elections for that matter popularity contests? What was the most popular movie/candidate among the voters. Isn't that kinda the point?

I enjoyed both films but No Country was much better IMO. The book is AMAZING!! Yay Cormac McCarthy! Bring on Viggo in The Road next.

There will be blood was my favorite of the two because of the performance of Daniel Day Lewis....I was in Awe watching him in every scene of the movie..Simply awesome.Both films were really really good.

No Country was the better film... It kind of reminded me of Terminator... they way were customising there guns and self-doctoring themselves... Don't as me why it just did...

I know this is several months late....

But after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers (love 'em), but I know a robbery when I see one.

Was this another one of those Oscar "theme" years? Like when they had the "Black Oscars" with Whoopie hosting, Denzel & Halle winning, and Sidney Poitier receiving the Honorary?

Seems like this was a Coen Bros. tribute year...which is great...but it stole the thunder from the greatest dramatic film of the decade.

Am I alone in this?

I agree 100% I loved Blood and found No Country unwatchable.

Aren't all awards shows and elections for that matter popularity contests? What was the most popular movie/candidate among the voters. Isn't that kinda the point?

I enjoyed both films but No Country was much better IMO. The book is AMAZING!! Yay Cormac McCarthy! Bring on Viggo in The Road next.

I think what I meant was popularity OUTSIDE of the movies themselves.

I think No Country earned it fair and square, but they're both deserving. Think about this - in 1994 Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption.

...No Country unwatchable.

So is your face!
scrubs.jpg

while i will agree that There Will be Blood knocked it out of the park with DDL's preformance, No County For Old Men was just a far superior film IMO.

the Cohen Bro's really know how to make an entertining film.

Given the choice, I would have given the Oscar to Blood over No Country. I love the Coen brothers, but this isn't my favorite of their films and it felt like they were rewarding them more for their past work (as with Denzel Washington for Training Day).

...after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.
I feel the same way, I thought 'No Country' was waaaaay overrated. I think either Juno or 'blood' should've won the oscar. Daniel Day Lewis was masterful and Juno was a refreshing new flick, 'Old Men' was nothing special in my eyes.

I think The Big Lebowski and Fargo are FAR better movies than No Country.

honestly viggo in eastern promises should have won... with blood at second.. no country was really good just not as good as the two I stated.

I preferred No Country over TWBB (although both are on my best films of the year list.) At the very least, Daniel Day-Lewis received a best actor nod. His performance really was that movie.

There will be blood was my favorite of the two because of the performance of Daniel Day Lewis....I was in Awe watching him in every scene of the movie..Simply awesome.Both films were really really good.

yessir!!!! Daniel Day Lewis has been one of my favorite actors since i saw him in Gangs of New York. before that i never really knew who he was. :duh

I think The Big Lebowski and Fargo are FAR better movies than No Country.

Lebowski is a ton of fun, but not a Best Picture contender. Fargo's definitely in contention but the humor undercuts the drama a bit. No Country is a more mature story. I just wish they hadn't cut the best character development bits that were in the book. Sheriff Bell was far more interesting and nuanced in the book.

Back