New Creature from the Black Lagoon Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Universalrocks

Freaked Out
Reaction score
The below poster is from the Creature from the Black Lagoon the Musical. Even though it is a Cariacture of the CFBL, notice the Design changes to the suit. I bet that Universal would not put out this poster with the upcoming movie, unless the two matched. Or maybe they would. If you enlarge sections of the poster you can see the changes better. Opinions?

black-lagoon-musical.jpg

i think it's much more likely that they don't match... that's just a musical version of the orginal, so it's not surprising that they'd be similar.

When filmmakers remake movies, especially movies as old at this, they pretty much change the appearance of everything they can...

personally i think this remake is completely unnecessary... I can understand remaking Frankenstein and Dracula and such... those movies are based on the original sources. But in this case, the story was written for the movie itself. And they got everything perfect...

They don't match I guarantee it. I like the design, its fun and very musical but I have a feeling that the CFTBL remake creature will be done more in the vein of the original.

I found a few interesting designs for a gill man, not that these will be used in the film, but as has been said above, remakes get, well, remade. So I bet they change the Creature, in any new film, drastically.
2yjzt3n.jpg

attachment.php

298.jpg
How%20to%20make%20a%20Monster%20-%20bronze%20gillman%203%20300dpi.jpg
130_BLCreatureTW.jpg

Last edited:
I like the first two as well, although the mouth on first one seems off to me. Not fish-like enough, and a bit too sinister. The creature was never sinister, just misunderstood ;). The second one looks pretty good, though, at least for a frame of reference.

And those last ones... Ummm... No.

Any other film titled "Creature from the Black Lagoon" will be inferior to the original, so I won't expect much from it. Then if its even remotely watchable, I came out "ahead" on the deal. Because I expect nothing. Redesigning the Creature would be like redesigning the Predator or the Terminator. If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

The same was said for Batman and Superman, but Hollywood can't help itself. If the go ahead is given, then they think it's a ticket to mess with it, some artistic bent on making the thing their own, or some such. Rather than go with something original and possibly risky, they must think remakes have better potential to rake in more dollars. People need to be employed, so movies must be made, shareholders are screaming for profits, and so the wheel turns on.

The same was said for Batman and Superman, but Hollywood can't help itself. If the go ahead is given, then they think it's a ticket to mess with it, some artistic bent on making the thing their own, or some such. Rather than go with something original and possibly risky, they must think remakes have better potential to rake in more dollars. People need to be employed, so movies must be made, shareholders are screaming for profits, and so the wheel turns on.

Sounds about right.

Any other film titled "Creature from the Black Lagoon" will be inferior to the original, so I won't expect much from it. Then if its even remotely watchable, I came out "ahead" on the deal. Because I expect nothing. Redesigning the Creature would be like redesigning the Predator or the Terminator. If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

This, for me, is what's inherently wrong with remaking a classic horror flick like the Creature. The whole "feel" of the horror genre has changed drastically since those classics were made. The originals created a mood. There was an eeriness to them. Since they were before my time, i have to put myself in that mindset to truly enjoy them, but it's easy to do.

Modern horror really doesn't try to scare people that way. It's pretty much just shock or gore now. Even the Creature used the 3-D shok gimmick... Which is fine, i'm not complaining about it, there's a lot of modern horror flicks that i like. But it's really uncommon to see a new movie try and scare people the old fashioned way. So remaking them will mean changing the whole approach leaving little in common with the original.

The closest thing i can think of to something modern approaching the classic style is some of the episodes of the X-files...

Back