Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Looks like there is movement on this front:

Green Lantern to be heroic, not comedic

It didn't happen for Eddie Murphy in the 80s and it won't happen for Jack Black.

Producer Donald De Line confirmed on CHUD that the Green Lantern film will not be a comedy. Instead it will be the origin story of hot shot test pilot Hal Jordan becoming GL "with all the heroics and action inherent with that character".

Eli Stone creators Marc Guggenheim and Greg Berlanti are currently at work on their first draft of Lantern. When asked on Newsarama why he feels fans will react positively to their Green Lantern movie, Guggenheim answered "Because, it's not only a respectful approach to the character, but it's a loving approach to the entire mythos".

Does that mean we can expect glimpses of the Guardians, Oa and other members of the Green Lantern Corps? Killowog? That'd be my interpretation of mythos.

The special effects will need to be flawless to effectively render the ring's power in 3-D. Happily, we have the technology.

Last edited:
Green Lantern to be heroic, not comedic...

Producer Donald De Line confirmed on CHUD that the Green Lantern film will not be a comedy. Instead it will be the origin story of hot shot test pilot Hal Jordan becoming GL "with all the heroics and action inherent with that character".

There is a God.

sadface.

i spent several years writing a feature length Hal Jordan story called Green Lantern and the Emerald Flame.

even before i started writing, i called DC's Rights and Permissions department and their recording said in order to be considered to get the right to use a DC character you had to submit a full script and synopses.

so i did.

two week later i get a letter from DC's Legal department telling me to cease and desist because i hadn't obtained the rights first. so, exactly the opposite of their recording. they didn't even read it.

i get their concern over their IP, but i just spent two years writing and refining a story based on information on their recording. that bothers me a little.

:banghead

This is AWESOME NEWS!!!

I returned to comics the day I heard Hal Jordan was reclaiming his ring. I'm hoping a Green Lantern on screen is the best thing we've seen since the original Superman!!!

McHavyck... give us a brief synopsis... I'm interested to hear your take!

Green Lantern Speeds Ahead
Source: SlashFilm

The Green Lantern movie is now underway, again, and this time it's on a fast track. Production Weekly provided the following update to GL's status:

STATUS - Development
PRODUCER: Donald De Line - Andrew Haas WRITER: Greg Berlanti - Marc Guggenheim - Michael J Green
DC COMICS 1700 Broadway New York, NY 10019
WARNER BROS. PICTURES 4000 Warner Blvd. Burbank, CA 91522-0001

Each sector of space is protected by a Green Lantern, possessing a power ring that uses a powerful green energy to do anything within the limits of the user’s imagination and will power. When the Green Lantern assigned to this sector of space finds himself dying on planet Earth, he tells the ring to find a suitable successor. The chosen replacement, hot-shot test pilot Hal Jordan, finds himself with a new job he never expected.

With that being said, with Hal Jordan being the main character, Common may be out, unless they're going to put him in the upcoming Justice League movie, which has may have been re-greenlit, though nothing's been confirmed as yet.

ESB Exclusive: Green Lantern Story Details Part 1 and Justice League Intel!
Written by Robert Sanchez
Wednesday, 13 August 2008

The IESB has an early look at Greg Berlanti's The Green Lantern plus updates on George Miller's Justice League of America.

A few years ago, we reviewed the GL script Robert Smigel wrote with comedian Jack Black in mind -- D.C. and Warner Bros. wisely decided against going down that route, maybe we had something to do with that when we ^^^^ all over it, read our review here.

But, there has been quite of bit of buzz lately coming from Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green's newest take on the Green Lantern and I managed to find a copy in my hands.

Let me start off with saying that within just reading the first few pages, I knew Berlanti, Guggenheim and Green had gotten the character right.

I don't want to do a traditional script review, instead I want to give IESB readers more of a sense of the story by going through some plot details and my thoughts on the screenplay. Wait a minute, that is a review. Let it begin...

It starts off with the revelation of Oa and The Central Battery with a voice over narration explaining that 1) there are extraterrestrials that protect the universe, 2) they have power rings, 3) there are thousands of Green Lanterns and 4) one of us has become one of them.

We go from one part of the universe to another and find ourselves in a familiar Solar System…our own.

Before I share some of the details let's do a quick character list of those we will see in the movie if this script gets the "green" light.

Martin Jordan
Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
Thomas Kalmuka
Carl Ferris
Carol Ferris
Kilowog
Tomar-Re
Abin Sur
Thaal Sinestro
The Guardians
Legion
Hector Hammond

A few cameos include a certain mild mannered reporter from the Daily Planet, a certain college football coach with the last name of Gardner (who we are promised in the script we will see more of in the second film) and loads of other characters sure to keep fanboys orgasmic throughout.

Back to the script - The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.

Parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.

The major difference is in the Sinestro character arch. I don't want to give too much away but the writers were very careful to stay true to the character without blowing their load on the first film.

The other difference is also introducing Hector Hammond into the story line and making him the big threat to Earth or Gaia if you prefer.

From the first major beat of the story - that is sure to bring a tear - to the revelations at the end of the movie that easily set up prequels as well as sequels this script has it all. Also, unlike other recent superhero movies, this Green Lantern story has science fiction elements such as visiting other planets and major space battles.

It's a quick read and is a mere 109 pages but is action packed from the beginning to end. It has the potential to be bigger than Iron Man or maybe even The Dark Knight.

The script, if greenlit, is a sure-fire hit for fan boys, but in scale it's big, VERY big, and we are hearing rumors that it may be too big for the director currently attached, Greg Berlanti.

But who would the studio trust to take on a franchise of this size?

First, let me say that the studio execs love this GL script, they really dig it - and get it which is always important - and word is they are prepared to spend a pretty penny.

Changing gears for a sec, let's see what's currently going on with Justice League of America. Last week there were reports that the movie is finally moving forward. Guess what - that's not what we heard.

IESB found out the complete opposite from various sources at WB -- the movie will not move forward in its current incarnation and a lot has to do with the success of The Dark Knight. Warner Bros. is not willing to risk pissing off Christopher Nolan or Christian Bale and their intent would be to move forward with a third Batman film instead of introducing another Batman in a JLA film.

Officially WB is stating that Justice League of America is on hold due to the potential SAG strike. We have been advised from various sources that the truth is that George Miller has been pulled off the project. We have contacted all parties involved including Kennedy/Miller and other producers but they have declined to comment at this time.

So does that mean that Miller is out of a job? Nope, we have been told that some execs over at Warner Bros. would like Miller to take over The Green Lantern project. Any truth to the rumor? Only time will tell but one thing is certain in my purest fan boy opinion - this script totally kicks ass!

Stay tuned later this week for IESB's Green Lantern Story Details Part 2!

While its a while away HT did Superman Returns as well as both Batman films, one would think that a Green Lantern is a natural progression.

It more means that they don't want to piss of Nolan or Bale or any of the Batman crew by introducing a new Batman that if they had gone with the Justice League 90210 ages would have essentially treaded over Batman Begins in terms of age.

I've never read a Green Lantern comic, but always thought he had one of the best costume designs ever.

green_lantern.jpg

Glad they dropped the Jack Black vehicle.

The Nolan/Bale Batman is too grounded in reality to be comfortable around a Greek demigoddess, a couple of superpowered aliens and a intergalatic cop, unless they introduce something supernatural in the next film.

But I like the idea of Miller directing a kickass GL movie rather than JL.

An argument to that is that Nolan's Batman is the perfect realization of the character who is a normal guy who is surrounded by Aliens and Demigoddesses. Batman keeps the Justice League grounded and Nolan Batman could easily be apart of that, more so than any Batman before him who was a little too flamboyant and grandiose already, save maybe Keaton in Batman 89

I think the Burton Batman movies had the right mix of reality and fiction to make a segue to a JL film. More so than the Nolan ones.

Brian Murray "Green Lantern" Concept Art
On his official website, illustrator Brian Murray has posted a number of images that he created for 'Green Lantern' screenwriter and (potential) director Greg Berlanti. The images were part of the presentation package Murray created for Berlanti Television which won them the 'Green Lantern' feature.

carolsy4.jpg

costchangeml8.jpg

greenlanternsc2.jpg

legion3zq4.jpg

normaloveroayd0.jpg

Not really liking that new suit. Hopefully they keep it more like the original. Superman's doesn't look that bad in a film, so I can't imagine Green Lantern's wouldn't translate either. I saw I guy at SDCC that had a pretty cool looking one, but spandex is quite revealing :yuck

Not a big fan of that suit either. I wouldn't mind a complete redesign of the suit. He's essentially a space cop - I'd like to see a design that had that flavor with the lantern emblem more like a badge (kind of like the Rayner costume I guess).

The costume reminds me too much of Kyle Raynor's costume in STAS or JLTAS:

RaynerSTAS.jpg

ThereturnJLU.jpg

Even shows me a hint of Kyle's Countdown Costuming:

Rayner_Countdown.jpg

I don't mind a costuming redo but they need to keep it in Hal's scheme and not just take from any Green Lantern.

Marc Guggenheim on the Green Lantern film
September 12, 2008

Pluse News, interviewed Marc Guggenheim recently and discussed the work he's been doing on the Green Lantern film:

"I've been working my ass off on Green Lantern," he said, then laughed. "I'm ready for a weekend off. I really can't say too much about it. I've sworn a blood oath of secrecy. I will tell you it features Hal Jordan and is an incredibly faithful rendition of the character. It honors everything everyone loves about the hero. We approach it from a fan's perspective. Every step of the way, we ask ourselves what we want to see and what the fans will want to see. I think we have a script that will actually satisfy on those levels. Right now I'm just doing a rewrite for the studio with Greg [Berlanti] and Michael [Green]. We'll turn that in next week. We just keep moving forward. It's really good stuff!"

He also talks about his work on Spider-Man and the Eli Stone TV Series, for the rest of the interview with Marc Guggenheim click here.

Back