PDA

View Full Version : Special Effects icon dies

Darklord Dave
06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.swmmedia.com/SSF/stan_winston.jpg

Hollywood special-effects maestro Stan Winston has died at age 62.

The Oscar-winning visual effects artist died at his home Sunday evening surrounded by family after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma, according to a representative from Stan Winston Studio.

Thanks to MaulFan for the tribute image.

DarkArtist81
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Sean did fantastic work on that image, a fitting tribute to one of the greatest artists of modern day.

R.I.P Stan, we miss you bro. :duff

BadMoon
06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Great image but where is the proof? :dunno

tomandshell
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
That image is a great tribute, and also a reminder of how well his creativity is represented by Sideshow.

MaulFan
06-16-2008, 09:03 PM
how well his creativity is represented by Sideshow.

I'm going to miss that a lot. Sure Sideshow will continue to make great pieces based on his work, but that extra coolness of him being hands on with some of the pieces really takes their value beyond that of normal collectibles.

Kabukiman
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
If you love movies (or even just *a* movie) chances are, Stan Winston had something to do with it.

Never knew the man, but always loved the work. He will be missed a great deal.

piccolodaimaoh
06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
A sad day in the world of Sci-Fi and adventure movies. It says on Wikipedia that his next project was Jurassic Park IV. I wonder if James Cameron's Avatar movie will be affected since Stan was his go to guy for special effects.

Stan will be missed.

ratboy7
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
It's a Sad Sad Day.

Mudshark
06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Just now heard the news for the first time... This is such an unexpected blow I really can't get my head around it. Such a great loss. What a major bummer.

JJKrista1
06-17-2008, 02:14 AM
:doffs cap:

Toastybuffoon
06-17-2008, 06:02 AM
A sad day indeed. A man of tremendous talent. He has entertained me for many hours over many years. The world of special effects has a large void that will be very hard to fill. You will be missed Stan.

Reinhardt
06-17-2008, 06:03 AM
a very sad day and a very fitting tribute. Great work Sean.

The Monster
06-17-2008, 06:50 AM
My heart gos out to Stan & his family. Stan has done some of the most iconic work in the history of filmmaking. Movies & Special-Effects will NEVER be the same. Thank You Stan for all of your Movies & Special-Effects They will live on forever & so will you....We will miss you every day, But NEVER forget you!!!!!!:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:duff:duff:duff

Dr.FeelGood
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
A sad sad day indeed :(

Havok
06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
I posted this in the original thread, but I thought I would put it here as well....

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said, but I guess I'll give it my best shot....my farewell to Mr. Winston.

Dear Stan,

People are in shock all around the world at your passing. You touched so many through your extraordinary works of art in the movies, Terminator, Jurassic Park, Aliens, Predator, there is just too many to name. You will never know how many people you have influenced in pursuing the kind of work you did, never know how much joy you have brought into peoples lives just by simply doing what you loved and what you were put on this earth to do. I would like to say on behalf of everyone who is hurting at the loss of such a great man and amazingly talented individual...Thank you sir, Mr. Winston, for bringing your genius to us and allowing us to share it with you. Surely your passing is a loss for us here on earth, but just as surely it is heavens gain. It's time to share your creative wisdom with a whole new audience Stan, give them a great show, just like you gave us. May you rest in eternal peace, and may God be your number one fan. God Bless You, and thanks for the memories.

pointytail
06-18-2008, 05:37 AM
...only just caught up with this news, a true icon indeed!

ONEYE
06-18-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.kisielka.net/SWbannerByONEYE.jpg

CelticPredator
06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Every man dies....but not every man truly lives.

So yeah, Wallace is right on the money with that one. Stan, you rocked.

ENDO-HUNTER
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
The Effects world will NEVER be the same without him. What a huge loss. R.I.P. Mr. Winston.

Shai
06-19-2008, 09:07 AM
:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1

uscmhicks
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
heres my attempt from my image thread.
We lost a great great man. Rest in peace Stan , you will be missed by us all.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/elderpredator15/stanwinstonwallpaper.jpg

Kratos
06-20-2008, 02:22 PM
heres my attempt from my image thread.
We lost a great great man. Rest in peace Stan , you will be missed by us all.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/elderpredator15/stanwinstonwallpaper.jpg

I like it
I like it a lot. It makes a nice personal Tribute to Stan
Keep up the nice work

mannix DLS
06-22-2008, 02:09 PM
People are in shock all around the world at your passing. You touched so many through your extraordinary works of art in the movies, Terminator, Jurassic Park, Aliens, Predator, there is just too many to name. You will never know how many people you have influenced in pursuing the kind of work you did, never know how much joy you have brought into peoples lives just by simply doing what you loved and what you were put on this earth to do. I would like to say on behalf of everyone who is hurting at the loss of such a great man and amazingly talented individual...Thank you sir, Mr. Winston, for bringing your genius to us and allowing us to share it with you. Surely your passing is a loss for us here on earth, but just as surely it is heavens gain. It's time to share your creative wisdom with a whole new audience Stan, give them a great show, just like you gave us. May you rest in eternal peace, and may God be your number one fan. God Bless You, and thanks for the memories.

Well said, Havoc.

R.I.P. Stan Winston :monkey2