Darabont Indy 4 script online now:

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was only a matter if time...

I have a PDF of it as well, in case those links go down.

My take on Darabont's "City of The Gods" (in comparison to KOTCS):

It's predictably better at times, surprisingly the same at others, and shockingly worse in some ways.

Oddly enough, Lucas may not have been totally off his rocker for rejecting it.

And Darabont SHOULD have received some kind of actual credit on the film, because they wound up using some of his actual dialogue at times.

Yuri. Much better character than Mac.

Marion is handled better.

Henry is great (though I doubt Connery would have done it)

The alien reveal, while very odd and not very Indy-like, seems to have more oomph.

The drunk Indy steals Golden Idol scene, while silly and completely contrived, might have been pretty fun.

DISLIKES:

Some of the dialogue is great, but some is more cringe-inducing than anything in KOTCS. "Adventure STILL has a name"? Egads.

Too many references to the previous films. It almost reads like fanfic at times.

Indy being swallowed by a giant snake.

The crystal skull being found by Indy in a bowling bag in a hotel room.

The main villain at the end being a Nazi who was "lost" in the Amazon.

All in all, a very interesting take and key reading for diehard INDY fans. But ultimately Lucas rejecting it and moving on was not the tragic mistake some of us may have assumed. This would gave been just as hated by some (if not moreso) than KOTCS.

Last edited:
the link that AICN had posted went up in smoke.

carl, do you mind sharing the PDF (would love to read it)? i heard that Mutt wasn't even in the original draft and Marion's role was much bigger.

i agree that Darabont should have received a writing credit. didn't he come up with the fridge, rocket sled and giant ants ideas?

Got it! Thanks so much!!!

I was hoping to see Darabont's script someday, maybe adapted as a Dark Horse comic or synopsized in an article. Now I don't have to.

I'm about halfway through this script, after hearing it was legit. I have to say, while there are moments that are quite nice, and moments that are very much the same as what we got in Crystal Skull, so far it just doesn't feel that great.

Lucas seems to have been right, in my opinion.

but all that said, it has some great moments! I think Irish says it best. I agree with all those points, up to now.

Trev

I skipped to the end real quick and I can say that I don't regret not getting the chance to see Sallah and Henry, Sr. both drunk and serenading Indy at the wedding.

I completely agree with everyone so far. It's certainly no better overall than KOTCS.

For one thing, it's far too self-referential. You've got characters spouting lines of dialogue from previous films (And even worse, from the previous posters! At one point, a character tells Indy that "back then, adventure had a name"! *cringe*), cameos from the Cross of Coronado and the Fertility Idol (in a scene that actually recreates the pedestal switch from "Raiders", no less), it's all a bit much.

Marion is written well, though; Darabont really seems to understand what she was all about. The "red scare" angle is played better here as well. It's also nice, I suppose, to see what Henry's role would have been (small, ultimately inconsequential and probably disappointing to the general moviegoer...like, "Wait, isn't he coming along this time? I liked him!"), and the inclusion of Sallah, even in yet another cameo, will always be welcome in my book.

I don't know. There are moments that are, as Indy himself puts it, "swell", but as a whole, it's not nearly the work of genius a lot of fans seemed to think it'd be.

Besides, no Spalko. Boot hearts Spalko. :p

Just finished it. It reads like a first draft of Crystal Skull. Many of the big set pieces are there and one huge plane chase that didn't make it. The sci-fi angle is just as strong, if not stronger. Oxley's still crazy. References to the other movies, Casablanca and Hitchcock are rampant. And no Mutt.

It's a stronger story in terms of the Indy/ Marion relationship. There's a love triangle that helps push the story along and Marion really feels like she did in "Raiders". And the Yuri character is stronger than Mac. But it's missing the elderly Indy feeling, the son relationship, the traps and the bombast of Crystal Skull. Overall, it's smarter but not as much fun. I'm actually glad we got the movie we got.

I hate reading stuff online, so I've printed it off and will read it tomorrow night when I have time. I can't wait. From the little I read as it was coming out of the printer it reads as a more mature work than KOTCS, but we'll see.

This comment probably belongs on a previous thread but the underuse of Marion was almost tragic as was John Hurts' part. I was so amped when it was hinted he'd play Abner...
To those who've read it, is the Ark in the draft?? How does Willey Scott fit in?

The Ark isn't in it. The warehouse chase is shorter than in KOTCS.

Willie is mentioned in banter between Indy and Marion. She asks whatever happened to that singer he hung around with. Indy explains she moved to Hollywood and "married some big shot director". :rolleyes:

Reading it now. Interesting so far and so far not much different or better than KOTCS. Appears to be the same so I would have liked it this way as of now.

As others have commented, it reads like a first-draft.
I'm not as impressed with "Yuri" as others here, but he is more interesting than "Mac". The Marion stuff is better, but much of the dialog is pretty stilted or just plain hammy. And if what is in this script is what Connery was given to consider coming back, I'm glad he said no...the whole drunk thing would've been wince-inducing.

I like what ended up as the film better...I really like Spalko and yes, Mutt.

It is an interesting read...kind of like an addendum to the "Making of.." book I've been enjoying all week.

One question arises though...considering how much of this script is actually present in the finished film, why isn't Darabont getting a script credit on this?

Back