PS3 questions...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactiboy

OT Preferist
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a PS3, partly for the fun of playing, but mainly for the BluRay player.

But I was wondering how it hooks into a surround sound system... right now I have an upscaling DVD player that came as part of a surround sound system. So would I be able to use the PS3 with that, or would I need to upgrade the surround sound as well?

And I assume you can play DVD's on a PS3, or am I wrong about that... thanks for the info :rock

So I'm thinking about getting a PS3, partly for the fun of playing, but mainly for the BluRay player.

But I was wondering how it hooks into a surround sound system... right now I have an upscaling DVD player that came as part of a surround sound system. So would I be able to use the PS3 with that, or would I need to upgrade the surround sound as well?

And I assume you can play DVD's on a PS3, or am I wrong about that... thanks for the info :rock

You can hook up to a surround via optical audio cable or HDMI cable.

Honestly, if you're investing for Blu-ray, you should also invest in a good surround sound system.

Yes, it can play DVDs.

it would depend on the inputs your surround has on it.

I have an ancient Sony receiver that doesnt have HDMI inputs so I have to run my sound to my receiver with an optical cable and the picture straight to the TV thru an HDMI cable.
Little bit of a pain switchig inputs, but its no big deal .....

Honestly, if you're investing for Blu-ray, you should also invest in a good surround sound system.

I thought about that, the only problem is I just got the surround sound less than a year ago... but you're probably right. If you're gonna do it, best to do it right :lol

You can hook up to a surround via optical audio cable or HDMI cable.

Yes, it can play DVDs.

What he said.

It depends on what you current dvd/audio player offers for ports too.

it would depend on the inputs your surround has on it.

I have an ancient Sony receiver that doesnt have HDMI inputs so I have to run my sound to my receiver with an optical cable and the picture straight to the TV thru an HDMI cable.
Little bit of a pain switchig inputs, but its no big deal .....

It does have HDMI, but its 5.1... and I think BluRay is 7.1 correct?

most BluRay does have a 7.1 mix, but I only have a 5.1 set-up and tbh, Im fine with that. it still sounds awesome. Im not THAT big of a movie nut to worry about the other 2 speakers.

like bagels said, pick your type. i'm using the hdmi for the video but my receiver doesn't have hdmi (don't care to upgrade) so I have to use optical for the sound.

I bought a Polaroid 46" LCD 1080p last year. I've been real happy with it, but decided to wait out the format war before picking a hidef player.

I bought a Polaroid 46" LCD 1080p last year. I've been real happy with it, but decided to wait out the format war before picking a hidef player.

I have a 61" PANASONIC 1080p, and they also made surround sound system for the tv that i have as well. I think my PS3 is ran to a splitter to the tv and a modem. my pic and sound is great.
see if there is a surround sound system for your tv.

Last edited:
40 GB (the one that came with Spider-Man). All my peripherals disconnect at random intervals. The only way to reconnect is a restart of the system, PS button does nothing. I tried "resetting" my controllers, I've tried "re-pairing" my controllers, all to no avail.

I sent the system to Sony for repair and it came back with the same problems. The packing slip didn't list any repairs that were done to the system (if any).

I contacted Sony, and we're going back down the "reset" / "re-pair" controller route. :monkey2

It's really annoying when watching a movie and the BD-remote suddenly disconnects and you can no longer pause...

You won't be dissapointed GB, the PS3 is a great system and is the BEST BD player on the market.

I like some of the others here run picture thru the HDMI and the sound with Optical cable from the TV and works like a charm.

It also upscales your DVD's and they look quite nice, not to mention you have a kick ass gaming device!

If your looking to get some good games, I suggest:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction
God of War (PS2 but looks bad ass)

40 GB (the one that came with Spider-Man). All my peripherals disconnect at random intervals. The only way to reconnect is a restart of the system, PS button does nothing. I tried "resetting" my controllers, I've tried "re-pairing" my controllers, all to no avail.

I sent the system to Sony for repair and it came back with the same problems. The packing slip didn't list any repairs that were done to the system (if any).

I contacted Sony, and we're going back down the "reset" / "re-pair" controller route. :monkey2

It's really annoying when watching a movie and the BD-remote suddenly disconnects and you can no longer pause...

could it be the remote? if i was you i would send it back again,you payed alot for it, and it is STILL BROKE, F THAT ^^^^ MAN! They need to fix it and fix it now IMO:monkey2

I have had those kind of problems with my controller losing its connection in the middle of a game, sending my character running off a cliff.

Back