OFFICIAL EPISODE III REVIEW THREAD......INCLUDES SPOILERS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: re

Since my boss took us again to see it today, I went ahead and saw it again.

Guess what, I still did not like it. Oh well, at least I will always have the OT (non SEs of course).

Also.. I'd love to see more of Kashyyk and the Wookie Conflict, which WAS filmed, but cut (I believe) due to timing. The Wookie confilct just seemed so unnecessary and underdeveloped. BUT I will wait til i see it the second time to reserve judgement on that. I guess with a whole planet of non-speaking beings... what could you really do?

I actually thinks its pretty safe to assume as a whole maybe not for everyone but I think as a blanket for a lot. I've seen more than one person on SW message boards posts similar thoughts.
Well I thought I went in with an open enough mind and I as I said, some parts were great, others made me wish I was somewhere else.

I think the spoken dialouge was right on for two people that love each other. The goofy things they say something I've done myself in the past with girlfriends. Actually, the unspoken dialouge for what was going with Anakin and what he felt for Padme 110% nailed it. Its not always the spoken word that gets across everything.
His expressions might have been spot on but his spoken dialogue was weak and flat; as was hers, just didn't work for me. :dunno Goof on, no problem. But goofy needs to turn to serious at some stage and it didn't seem weighty enough for the characters.
She certainly seems to have fallen from grace. From a Queen to a prop. What's that about ...

You mean like how Luke once he finds out Vader is his father that he keeps saying there is good in him? ;) To me its no different the people that love him or come to care about him Padme/Luke keep hope or feel that their is some still good in him.
It didn't come off as that believeable. She says it, but could she have forgiven the man knowing what he did and why?
I just think another line might have been better suited to convey her faith and love.
Can't remember, but I would think Luke comes from another position. Hoping that there might be some good, having not known the character of the man before.

Good movie, not great. The central storyline of the entire series -- and particularly this movie -- is Annakin's fall from grace and subsequent redemption through the love of Luke. So this episode, which deals with the events directly leading up to the fall, necessarily demands an ultra strong performance from the Annakin/Darth actor.

It's far easier to portray pure good or pure evil, but Annakin is neither/both of those things. His is a soul that could go either way, depending upon what influences and events transpire. The actor portraying the Annakin character therefore needs to show the conflict between good and evil as it rages within his own heart and soul. The audience needs to feel that conflict in order to truly understand the tragedy of Ananakin's fall.

Sadly, we didn't get anything close to this in Hayden's performance. In voice, facial expression and mannerisms, Hayden seemed more upset that he couldn't find his size at the Abercrombie and Fitch sale than anything else. Just incredibly poor acting and casting.

Exhibit "A": After Palpatine dupes Annakin into attacking Mace, who is then slaughtered by Palpatine, Hayden says in his best OC voice, "What have I done?" That line should have been wreathed in anguish and despair because he has just realized that Palpatine has been manipulating him all along just as Obi and others had warned him. Amongst other things, this has caused the death of one of the greatest Jedi masters of the age. Instead, Hayden sounds like he got the wrong toy in the Burger King drive through line. It's pathetic really.

See and I got that from him but I'm not an actor or maybe I'm just not a good judge of acting. I really dug this movie and didn't have any issues with it.

I wrote a review on myblog. I don't feel like copying and pasting, so go read it and leave me some comments - I like comments - makes me feel special :)

MarketWatch reported;

Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith scored $50 million in first-day receipts at 3,661 theaters across the nation on Thursday, box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations said Friday. The take handily beats the one-day record of $44.8 million set last year by "Shrek 2." "Sith" is distributed by News Corp.'s (NWS) 20th Century Fox film unit.

UPDATE:

Here's a report from Box Office Mojo on the the movie's North American box office:

After starting the day with $16,912,367 from midnight shows alone, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith closed Thursday with $50,013,859 from an estimated 9,400 screens at 3,661 theaters. That's the biggest day ever for a single movie in history.

"When I consider it's a Thursday with kids in school, I'd figure it can't do that," distributor 20th Century Fox's head of distribution, Bruce Snyder, told Box Office Mojo. "I did not think we could do $50 million. I was thinking maybe we could catch up to Shrek 2 on Saturday. I'm as surprised as the rest of the world."

For further perspective, the biggest opening weekend of the year thus far had been Hitch's $43.1 million, and Revenge of the Sith blew past that in one day. Sith's gross is surprising, in part, because the previous Star Wars installment, Attack of the Clones, had an opening day on par with The Phantom Menace and ultimately made significantly less. In 2002, Clones grossed $30.1 million on its way to $310.7 million, while Phantom earned $28.5 million en route to $431.1 million.

Thats awesome, my movie theater was packed at that was at noon on the 19th. Kids and guys in their suits were all there for the movie.
But you want to know the funny thing is people werent yelling or whatever. They sat in silence as the intro came on to the screen. Very COOL!

Finally saw it this morning - It did make me appreciate the OT more, and it's certainly the best of 1-3. I'll have to see it again before I can say it's better than even ROTJ. But the things that bothered me:

Hayden's acting - through most of it I just saw this teenager in waaaayyyy over his head. Darth Vader IS Topher Grace. BUT...in the final battle ("I hate you!") and in the burn make-up on the table I thought he did a good job.

The "romance" scenes - again it's Hayden's acting, but if Tom Stoppard wrote this they ought to take away his Oscar.

McDiarmid's acting - I thought he was good...mostly. But in some scenes he was just way over the top.

Qui-Jon teaches Obi-wan and Yoda how to commune with the Force and communicate with the living - so how did Anakin do it at the end of ROTJ?

Man those babies were big for newborns - couldn't they have done some sort of CGI shrinkage?

What I liked -

Greivous - This is what happens to an evil cyborg. The first time we saw Darth Vader didn't everyone wonder - "Why's he breathing so hard?" I thought it was a nice parallel with Vader and I think he's equal to Maul or Boba Fett as a low-screen-time cool villain. And I really wish I hadn't known about the 4 lightsabers - that would have been so cool if it had been fresh.

Ewan MacGregor/Obi-wan - Ewan is fantastic, it's too bad George couldn't have surrounded him with equally great actors. It relied less on the Alec Guiness impression he had in the first 2, but it was still there enough so you can dig the continuity. And Obi-wan made the film - you can now really understand the love he has for Luke in ANH.

Anakin's motivation - This is what I was having problems with through the first 2 prequels. How can the turn to the dark side be motivated? His love for Padme does it. It also strengthens his redemption in ROTJ - after seeing this you know there is no way he could kill Luke, his only link to Padme.

Everything else - I did enjoy it, although not with the instinctual love that the original Star Wars inspired. I will definitely see it again in the theatre though.

I guess with a whole planet of non-speaking beings... what could you really do?

They could dance and sing like the Ewoks in the original version of Jedi. :thud

I can't wait for the live action TV series. I wonder if the character will be a young Han Solo? The only downside to no Jedi left is that we won't have any cool lightsaber battles in the TV series.

There were some Jedi left or else Yoda & Obi Wan would of not returned to the temple to change the broadcast message that all Jedi must return to the Temple. Hopefully the new TV series show Darth Vader hunt down and destroy the remaining Jedi. Wasn't there another Jedi master (TPM) that looked like Yoda sitting at the Jedi Council when little Anakin was first brought up by QG & Obi?

:lvader

Hopefully the new TV series show Darth Vader hunt down and destroy the remaining Jedi.

That would be cool. I really hope we get an anthology-type show about different characters and stories instead of following a set of characters throughout the series.

Qui-Jon teaches Obi-wan and Yoda how to commune with the Force and communicate with the living - so how did Anakin do it at the end of ROTJ?

Yup, that bugged me too. That whole element of the story was handled FAR to simply. Fans were waiting for this revelation.. and all we got was an acknowledgement ... btw...you can come back from the dead.... go figure out how.. haha

Anakin's motivation - This is what I was having problems with through the first 2 prequels. How can the turn to the dark side be motivated? His love for Padme does it. It also strengthens his redemption in ROTJ - after seeing this you know there is no way he could kill Luke, his only link to Padme.

Yeah, he did very well in these parts especially. However, I think this also comes in during the love scenes he is in so much pain trying to figure out how to save her. You are right thought thats exactly why he couldn't kill Luke.

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Just got back from finally seeing ROTS.

I liked it very much, but it was pretty overwhelming visually to
take in in one setting, so I'll definitely be going back to see it.

Things in the film that I liked a lot:

Lightsaber duels - all very action packed.

R2D2's kick-butt roll. He was really used well, and prooved
that he can take care of himself very well if need be.

NO stupid humor (for the most part) from C2PO

Darth Sidious - very creepy - almost horror movie look and actions.
(his eyes reminded me of the vampires in the original Salem's
Lot, and if anybody remembers my semi-phobia there, they'll
know that it is something that'll stick with me from now on)
I always wondered why he looked weathered and old - now I know. :google

Grievous's 4 lightsaber attack. Sure - Obi-Wan dismantled him
post haste, but it looked VERY cool with the saber blades doing
the helicopter spin and cutting into the floor.

The scenes that hit me emotionally were only two:
1: The younglings - that one really hit home.
2: Padme's delivery of "you're breaking my heart"
That one even gets me seeing it in the trailers.

Did everybody hear the "wilhelm scream" that GL has used many
times in EVERY single Star Wars movie? It is also used in so
many other movies that it is a gold standard death scream.

Things in the film that I disliked a lot:

The Tarzan Yell from the wookees. I hated it with a passion in
ROTJ, and I hated it as much or more in this film. Very dumb IMHO.

Padme's "giving up the will to live". Kinda cheesy, as my wife
pointed out - when a woman sees her kids for the first time,
she has a GREAT will to live.

Questions that I still ponder, and random observations:

How did Padme fit twins in her small tummy? My wife pointed
this out also. Twins would've had Padme walking around like
a waddling penguin at best.

Funny how they always use 2-3 month old babies as newborns.

The Boca? (thing Obi Wan rode) was just bizaar. Its squalking
was almost distracting, and I can't imagine trying to ride the
thing, much less fight and do battle while riding it. Having said
that, It was an interesting critter. Taun Tauns always are my
#1 SW steed though, and I absolutely can't wait to get a statue
of Luke or Han on Taun Taun from ESB.

Overall I liked ROTS very much, and I'll have to see it again
before ranking it, and also just to take in all that is displayed
on-screen. Tons o stuff going on!

I can't wait for it to be released in Imax format.

JS :lvader

Oh yes. and after seeing the film for the 3rd time. I must say.... it's rated PG-13 for good reason.

::::SPOILERS::::

-Count Dooku's death. Getting the hands chopped off was kinda intense, because they showed it, very close may I add. And even though they didn't show his beheading, Dooku's expressions leading up to it were downright dreadful.

-Mace Vs Palpatine/Mace's Death. When Palpatine started with the lightning... and his face started getting deformed. That was creepy. And Mace's death. That was intense for even me to watch. Sure, I knew from reading the book that he got zapped. But I didn't expect to see it, on screen with no cutaways for 5 seconds. Definitely a hard PG-13 moment right there.

-The Murder of the Jedi. Sure, this wasn't the worst scene in the film. But just because of the tone it evoked, it was easy to see why this film is PG-13. And there were some graphic scenes (Both Ki-Adi & Aayla being shot to death, several times each.)

-The Murder of the Separatists. Straight up violent. It's that simple. No to mention that there are at least two of them who were begging for their lives right before they are cut down.

-The burning of Anakin. This scene alone was, in my opinion, worthy of an R rating. This scene was insanely gruesome. And the moment you see his legs start to burn, you know it's only going to get worse. And the camera only cut away to show Obi-Wan's reaction, which only made it more gruesome. The close-up of Anakin's face and head as it burned was awful. This is seriously, in itself, a perfect reason not to bring children to see this film.

And with that, I'll add that I have yet to see one child present at all of the screenings I've been to. I'm sure that'll change..... But it really shouldn't.

This movie is not for children.

I agree Mannie. This film earned its PG-13 not because the stuff bothered me really. The only thing that I was like "eh" was Anakin burning but this is the kind of stuff that can bother some little kids I would imagine. If you take your little kids explain to them what they are going to see before the movie starts.

Sad too because my kids love the all of the previous episodes, but this they will have to wait for - - - but hey I waited 28 years! :lol

Back