PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Panda. Go See it. Skudoosh.

Michael Crawford
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I took the kids to see KFP this weekend in IMAX, and we loved it. Best animated flick since last year's Ratatouille, and Wall-E is going to have to work to beat it.

If you go in believing it's just a silly little kid's movie like Madagascar or Shrek, that's all you'll see. But if you give it a real viewing, paying attention to the multiple themes going on, you'll realize there's a lot more here than meets the eye.

It also helps that there's a) a TON of action, with terrific animation, b) terrific voice acting, b) they don't hammer you over the head with any of the plot points. Of course there are things set up early in the movie to play out later, but they don't telegraph these things by screaming them in your face.

Oh, and that 'skudoosh' line from the trailer? Doesn't happen when they show it in the trailer. And when he does say it, it's absolutely perfect.

DannieDarKo
06-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I really enjoyed it and I didn't take any kids. It rocked! :rock

BadMoon
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I found this movie to be completely unrealistic. No way Pandas can talk!

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I saw a double feature of The Zohan and Kung Fu Panda and I actually fell asleep during Panda it was that bad.

tomandshell
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I took my kids to see it and we all loved it. I thought it was beautiful to look at, with great voices and a good story. One of my favorite Dreamworks films so far and something that I enjoyed more than some of the weaker Pixar movies.

EVILFACE
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Thought it was a pretty good toon.

Though the Panda reminded me more of Hurly on Lost than Jack Black lol.

IronFingaz
06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing it. This and Wall-E are two of my most anticipated animated movies this year.

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing it. This and Wall-E are two of my most anticipated animated movies this year.

Wall-E will conquer all. That movie's going to make so much money it's disgusting

plasmid303
06-09-2008, 11:46 AM
What's a "skudoosh"?

Darklord Dave
06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Have to agree - a great animated film. Between this and Ratatouille, I don't miss 2D animation at all. Jack Black played himself instead of Curley from the 3 Stooges (Shark Tales) and it worked wonderfully.

The Mike
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
The 6th graders at my Junior High have been walking around saying Skudoosh so you know it was a hit amongst them. Most of my 8th graders though have gone and seen Zohan and have been quoting text from that film....

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
The 6th graders at my Junior High have been walking around saying Skudoosh so you know it was a hit amongst them. Most of my 8th graders though have gone and seen Zohan and have been quoting text from that film....

Smell it...Smell it...Smell it...Now Take it !!!

carbo-fation
06-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Saw it on Saturday. Loved it! Great, mindless fun!:rock

Andy Bergholtz
06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I have yet to see a Dreamworks animated film that I enjoy, but I've heard nothing but good things about this one. I doubt I'll go to the theater to see it but I'm looking forward to seeing it on dvd.

uscmhicks
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Need to see this yeah , looks great.

" Don't tempt me ! ". :lol

woodsy
06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
We took our youngest boy to see this on Saturday....and we all loved it, as did the rest of the people in the theatre from the sound of things. Not quite in the same ballpark as The Incredibles, but terrific all the same. Two thumbs up! :rock

bagelsncheesey
06-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I saw a double feature of The Zohan and Kung Fu Panda and I actually fell asleep during Panda it was that bad.

I totally disagree. Zohan sucked balls (theater hop anybody?) and Panda kicked ass.

Wall-E will conquer all. That movie's going to make so much money it's disgusting

This I agree with. We already got our tickets for free (wife's Disney dollars from her credit card).

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I totally disagree. Zohan sucked balls (theater hop anybody?) and Panda kicked ass.

This I agree with. We already got our tickets for free (wife's Disney dollars from her credit card).

I must say, perhaps the movie would ahve been better if I was awake for the whole thing......Was it me, or was jackie chan in it for like 5 minutes?

bagelsncheesey
06-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I must say, perhaps the movie would ahve been better if I was awake for the whole thing......Was it me, or was jackie chan in it for like 5 minutes?

Well, the bigger parts were Jack Black, Hoffman, and Jolie for sure... but I think Chan had decent enough lines.

But if just the voices over the animation are your thing... then I guess you were disappointed?

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, the bigger parts were Jack Black, Hoffman, and Jolie for sure... but I think Chan had decent enough lines.

But if just the voices over the animation are your thing... then I guess you were disappointed?

No, I just say jackie chan because I can't remember the character's name.

bagelsncheesey
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
No, I just say jackie chan because I can't remember the character's name.

Stay awake, watch the movie, then we'll discuss.

Make it part of your "By Myself" steak dinner tonight.

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Stay awake, watch the movie, then we'll discuss.

Make it part of your "By Myself" steak dinner tonight.

I think I just might.

Kinda off topic, but Jack Black was a Panda, so how was his father a goose/bird looking thing?

bagelsncheesey
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I think I just might.

Kinda off topic, but Jack Black was a Panda, so how was his father a goose/bird looking thing?

You have to watch the movie... it's really never explained, but joked at near the end.

Darth Caedus
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
You have to watch the movie... it's really never explained, but joked at near the end.

Kinda figured it was a joke, but wasn't sure.

bagelsncheesey
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I mean, I might be partial because I'm a kung-fu fan in general, but I really loved the movie. It makes references to old kung-fu films and stuff, so with that, the voice acting, and the animation, it was really top notch.

Michael Crawford
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Well, it's not really a joke itself, but the way the father avoids actually answering the question was funny. But even my 7 year old kids figured out about Po, and how his relationship (in many ways including parentage) mirrored Shifu and Tai Lung. That's one of the things I really like about this movie - they didn't beat you over the head with any of the points, but if you're paying attention, they're there.

bagelsncheesey
06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, it's not really a joke itself, but the way the father avoids actually answering the question was funny. But even my 7 year old kids figured out about Po, and how his relationship (in many ways including parentage) mirrored Shifu and Tai Lung. That's one of the things I really like about this movie - they didn't beat you over the head with any of the points, but if you're paying attention, they're there.

which was what i meant by joked at.

Darklord Dave
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I also saw Zohan and thought it was the funniest Sandler film - ever. Of course there haven't been that many funny Sandler films...

As for Dreamworks animation vs. Pixar - the animation level is certainly up there with Pixar although the story and characters may not have gotten to that level. I enjoyed KFP more than Cars, but it's no where near Incredibles.

Viking28
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Great movie, will be getting this when it hits Blu Ray!! The fight scene's were incredible, but all around a really good movie. Lot of funny parts.

Isabel Skyfire
06-10-2008, 12:28 AM
I went with my mother, sister, and her kids ... I really enjoyed it ... great movie, can't wait till in comes out on dvd so I can get it

galactiboy
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Haven't seen this one yet, was on the fence about forking over the cash to see it in the theater... but I've now been convinced :rock

granado.espada
06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Will go see this tonight.

TOE
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
my brother and his gf saw it and they said it is one of the funniest movie they have ever watched.

Eternal_D
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
this weekend...gotta see this...need some humor in my life.

piccolodaimaoh
06-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I saw this Monday night. I was one of 9 people in the theater, not that the movie is doing bad but Monday night is a great night to see movies with no crowds.
I don't think anyone laughed as much I did during this film. The stairs gag never got old. This is maybe the best Dreamworks animated film since the Shrek series. I really appreciated the suttle nods to classic Kung-Fu films, especially Jackie Chan films like Drunken Master, Fearless Hyena and Snake in Eagle's Shadow.
The food gag for me is were this movie really showed it's Kung-Fu chops.

Kung Fu Panda along with Forbidden Kingdom have been the best Kung-Fu movies I have seen in the theater this year. Will definitely buy it on DVD/Blue Ray.

darkknight
06-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone knows why is the Kung Fu Panda 6 inch figures on recall? Read some where that they had pulled it from shelves. I called my local toysrus and walmart and they don't got none but the small ones. Was planning to get some for my son, I do see it for sale online but want to make sure it is safe to open before getting some. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

tomandshell
06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
My son really wanted the Kung Fu Panda crossbow toy. He was sad when they didn't have any at Target, so we drove to Toys R Us and they had several on the shelf. When the cashier tried to ring it up, the system apparently gave a message saying that it was being recalled and he refused to sell it to me--just kept it behind the counter and apologized. My son burst into tears and didn't understand what was going on. As far as he knows, the mean employee stole his toy.

darkknight
06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I may just go to McDonalds and buy a happy meal to get the toys for now. Sorry bout your son. Was that a action figure or a hand held toy? I thought only the 6 inch figures was recalled.

tomandshell
06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
It was a handheld toy--a big crossbow that shoots foam darts. I have no idea why it was being recalled.

Jessica
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
My son really wanted the Kung Fu Panda crossbow toy. He was sad when they didn't have any at Target, so we drove to Toys R Us and they had several on the shelf. When the cashier tried to ring it up, the system apparently gave a message saying that it was being recalled and he refused to sell it to me--just kept it behind the counter and apologized. My son burst into tears and didn't understand what was going on. As far as he knows, the mean employee stole his toy.

That sucks.

tomandshell
06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Kung Fu Panda is doing well--word of mouth has apparently been good enough that it has stayed on top and just barely outdid Hulk this weekend, holding on to the #2 spot and passing $155 million.

Anzik
06-23-2008, 07:13 AM
I took my kids to see it yesterday and we all thought it was great.

As a Kung Fu teacher I am usually critical but it was about perfect.

The ill Jedi
06-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Saw this over the weekend and I must say I was VERY impressed, I really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It was funny and touching and the characters were great, I thought Jack Black was brilliant. Great story and good messages for the kids, this movie was exceptionally well made and I can't wait to own it on Blu-Ray! :rock

Fritz
06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Saw this last night and the family enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Shrek but it was good.

Michael Crawford
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Nah, this movie drink's Shrek's milkshake. Then again, while I like the first Shrek I never understood the extreme love some folks had for that flick.

Buttmunch
06-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I saw it last week. It was alright. Nothing spectacular, no surprises, you get what you expect nothing more. Jack Black was his regular self, which I like, but most of the best stuff was just in the trailer.

My Grandpa, who teaches Karate, loved it though.

The Mike
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Kung Fu Panda Sequel in the Works
Source: TAG Blog
June 25, 2008

An interesting post was made on the TAG Blog:

Every building of the DW campus is bursting with activity. Monsters and Aliens, Shrek, Madagascar Deux, and on and on. DreamWorks' Lakeside Building is getting enlarged, and the administrative staff is gone from the upper floors.

But down on the lower levels, artists are working. A story crew has started early work in Kung Fu Panda, the Sequel, even while animators are hand-drawing new material for the DVD of Kung Fu Panda, the original.

It's not surprising considering the DreamWorks Animated hit has made about $230 million in 19 days of release worldwide. The film cost about $130 million to make.

Darth Waller
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM
I saw this yesterday with my wife and daughter. We really enjoyed it and can't wait for a Blu-ray release. Glad to hear there's a sequel in the works.

gideon
07-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Took my seven year old grandson to see it - -- -- he loved it --- and had to wake me up twice as I fell asleep from boredom. Plus a strong loathing for Jack Black did not help.

carbo-fation
07-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Took my seven year old grandson to see it - -- -- he loved it --- and had to wake me up twice as I fell asleep from boredom. Plus a strong loathing for Jack Black did not help.

:lol

At least your grandson enjoyed it.:D

Andy Bergholtz
07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Took the kids to see this over the weekend and I agree it's a very fun flick. Definitely my favorite of any Dreamworks animated picture by FAR, I've never had much appreciation for Shrek, Madagascar, Shark Tale, etc. This one certainly stands out though.

UTtoyfan
11-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I just bought and watched this tonight. It's my first blind buy in a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The Ween
11-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I just bought and watched this tonight. It's my first blind buy in a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I picking this up tomorrow. I've got to decide on if I want the two disc pack or the one with the Panda beanie baby. I hate when they do things like this to me. :lol

NASEDO
11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I picked up the dvd at CVS for 9.99, you have to buy batteries and be a rewards card member.