PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 2 Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The Mike
06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Figured since the news is starting to slowly trickle out might as well get one started. During a TV Guide interview Terrance Howard announced that he, Robert Downey Jr, Gwenyth Paltrow and Leslie Bibb (Not sure the reason for her...) have signed a 3 picture deal with Marvel Studios.

Also announced which isn't really news that War Machine was to be a major part of the sequel which is why he signed in the first place.

The question is RDJ would seriously be involved with the Avengers film but would they need to structure another deal for that one? Would an Iron Man 3 need to be structured with RDJ?

Discuss and post any new info! http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/kryptonianmike/GIFS/ironman.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/kryptonianmike/GIFS/ironman.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/kryptonianmike/GIFS/ironman.gif

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/kryptonianmike/GIFS/iron_man.gif

Agent0028
06-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Who is Leslie Bibb?

IrishJedi
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Who is Leslie Bibb?

She's the hot blonde Vanity Fair reporter. :drool

Agent0028
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh, yeah, she was hot. Glad we'll be seeing more of her. :naughty

IrishJedi
06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree:

http://www.stuff-mag.com/girls/leslie_bibb/leslie_l3.jpg

Gruson
06-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree:

http://www.stuff-mag.com/girls/leslie_bibb/leslie_l3.jpg

Ahhhh jeah.

Cannot wait for more Iron Man either. :)

Minimodel
06-01-2008, 02:05 PM
It seems to me shes being set-up to be a Kathy Dare type figure.She was a deranged actress who crippled Stark with a bullet in the comics and in a way precipitated "Armour wars 2".

Memnoch
06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I seem to recall hearing that if someone was chosen for a role that would be in an Avengers movie the deal was 3 solo (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor..) and at least 1 team up. They don't want anyone to play a role that would not reprise it when needed in a team picture.

Bonehead15
06-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I just hope that the sequal doesn't use another "evil" Iron Man for the villain.

I liked the Iron Monger idea but I would have prefered if they had used the Titanium Man or Crymson Dynamo instead. If the sequal uses one of these villains it's going to look like a rehash of the first film. I don't really want to see 2 "Iron Men" fighting again.

Wanderer
06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I think its realistic to expect the Mandarin to show up...i mean they pretty much did the set up by having that leader of rings do his thing playing with his ring...err so to speak!

The Mike
06-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Mandarin was originally the villain for this film but it was changed when the thought was introducing the Mandarin aspect was going to be too complicated for an origin film and the fact that Faverau and Marvel Studios wanted to stay closer to comic concept without introducing any real major villains that would take away from that. I thought Iron Monger was used effectively not to remove the focus on Stark.

War Machine is supposed to be used a lot in the next film so it should be interesting to see what villain will be used that could face off against them two and Thor since he was supposed to be introduced in that film as well....

I'm wondering if the picture deals were inclusive of The Avengers films then I wonder if they'll include the majority of the side casts in that film as well....

nash
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Are they really planning to make an avengers film with all the original cast from each marvel movie? if so, that's going to be one of the highest budgeted films ever....

The Mike
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Each of the Marvel Studios film that are doing right now are being primed for an Avengers film, according to what I've read online and also what was said here its all leading up to that point. This is why multiple picture deals are being inked so it gets the budget already ironed out before they get to that point.

cablecommander
06-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I hope they have the Black Panther in the Avengers movie. They should have the sctor to play him make a cameo in Iron man 2 and the Hulk 2.

Just my wish only.

Memnoch
06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Avengers will be Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Capt so far. Dunno if they even are looking to add anyone else.

The Mike
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
The Marvel Studios roster is supposed to be comprised of Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America and Ant-Man so far. The Black Panther was already purchased by a separate studio and was being primed originally to star Wesley Snipes but nothing had moved on that project years but still there is a chance that Marvel Studios doesn't have a hand on it.

cablecommander
06-01-2008, 08:29 PM
thanks for the info. I forgot that Wesley Snipes had the Black Panther. I hope they at least show Hank Pym and Wanda Van Syke.

Agent0028
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Ant Man? I have a hard time seeing him work well in a modern setting.

Bardoon
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I think they should round out Iron Man with a trilogy and have Mandarin show up in Iron Man 3 as the ultimate final villain.

Flesh him out more in Iron Man 2, maybe actually SHOW him (perhaps in the shadows or something) and still have him as the puppetmaster...perhaps the villain can be Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man. If they don't want to go the "Anti-Iron Man" route, then the villain could be someone like AIM (with MODOK) or how about ULTRON??? (Though they might be saving Ultron for the Avengers). That way you could also introduce Hank Pym and perhaps Janet Pym (the Wasp) as well!

Could also introduce Ezekiel Stane as a more direct rival of Tony Stark. A contrast much like Topher Grace's Eddie Brock was similar to Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker in age, girls-they-were-after, work, etc.

Blackhole
06-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Iron Man vs The Hulk...I'd like to see that...

The Mike
06-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, I'm sure people are sick of me trumpeting out the Ultimates ties to the films being released but if they follow that trend, you just might get your wish.

Agent0028
06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I thought Hulk made a great "villain" in Ultimates. I actually prefer Hulk to be a Mr. Hyde type character driven by the baser human instincts than a hero.

The Mike
06-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Producer Peter Billingsley on Forging Iron Man's Future
Source: Scott Huver June 2, 2008

One of the advantages of maintaining the youthful looks of his child star past is that it makes it easier to spot Iron Man producer Peter Billingsley in a red carpet crowd – even one as distracting as the one at Spike TV's Guy's Choice Awards amid unarmored eye candy like Marisa Miller and Tila Tequila. But spot him ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! did, and we managed to unbolt a taste of the plans he and director Jon Favreau have for the 2010 sequel to this summer's smash superhero hit.

CS/SHH!: Are you guys already working on your plans for the next one?
Billingsley: Absolutely. I guess that Marvel kind of controls a lot of that stuff and they seem to have a plan about these things and how they're laid out. I think "The Avengers," now that we can speak publicly about it, will be coming out as well. So we're just thrilled at how much people are loving the film and how well it has done.

CS/SHH!: Any "Iron Man" storylines from the comics that you're primed to adapt for the sequel?
Billingsley: Nothing has really been decided yet, but I'll tell you that there's just such a wealth of great stories. We tease The Ten Rings in the first one for all the comic book fans, so there MIGHT be something there. There's so much to take advantage of, but the most exciting part is that, always, when he's in the suit it's going to be great, because you've got the technology to do it and with Robert and this cast there's so much we can do when he's not in the suit. So I think exploring Tony Stark, his father and sort of more of the dark side of Tony, it's a great opportunity.

CS/SHH!: Jon has said previously he'd be interested in directing the "Avengers" film that's planned for release after the "Iron Man" sequel. Have you started down that road at all?
Billingsley: No. There's been nothing officially discussed. I think that "Iron Man" would be a pretty fun thing to do again and there's really a lot to do with that title. And having Robert and that great cast, Gwyneth [Paltrow] and Terrence [Howard] – there's really, really a LOT to do.

CS/SHH!: Watching this phenomenal success happen for Robert, seeing him embraced by the public and the film after such a long and rocky ride – what's that been like to witness?
Billingsley: It's pretty great. I think he really is THAT guy. I think he's been around for a long time and it couldn't happen to a nicer or more talented guy, and I think we've really just seen the tip of the iceberg with him now. He's in "The Soloist," he's in "Tropic Thunder" and everyone in town wants him. He's just as good as it gets.

CS/SHH!: Are you working on anything else with Jon and Vince Vaughn? You guys have been friends since the early days, the pre-"Swingers" days.
Billingsley: I'm producing "Four Christmases" with Vince and Reese Witherspoon now, which will be out Thanksgiving Day weekend. So a lot of fun stuff going on with that. It was awesome, a lot of fun. Reese and Vince have a great chemistry and it's a big, funny, romantic comedy Christmas movie.

Iron Man 2 is scheduled for an April 30, 2010 release. Marvel Studios is targeting a July, 2011 release for The Avengers.

The Mike
06-06-2008, 06:04 PM
News
Jon Favreau on Iron Man 2!
Source: Superhero Hype! June 5, 2008

ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! visited the set of DreamWorks' upcoming comedy, I Love You, Man, and got a chance to talk to Iron Man director Jon Favreau, who plays a role in the comedy, opening in theaters on January 16, 2009. The comedy co-stars Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Jaime Pressly and Rashida Jones. With Iron Man 2 already set for an April 30, 2010 release, we asked Favreau for an update. He talked about the sequel, the other upcoming Marvel Studios movies and even films like Hancock and The Dark Knight:

CS/SHH!: "Iron Man" did really well.
Jon Favreau: Really, really good. You guys were the only ones who gave a ^^^^^ before Comic-Con. Then since Comic-Con, everything just started to build, then people got excited by it, and then we just were at the MTV Awards a couple of days ago. Everybody online voted for the movie, we got some golden popcorn, and you could tell by the reviews and box office that everybody seems to have jumped on board and really loves the movie. That is really, really gratifying for all of us who worked so hard for so many years on the thing.

CS/SHH!: So now you are back to being in front of the camera and goofing off?
Favreau: Yeah, it was pretty interesting. I am definitely a supporting character and this is a big ensemble comedy. There is a lot of sitting around in your little trailer. It was like right after "Iron Man" and I'm on it, and everybody was like, "Why are you here?" I said to Robert [Downey Jr.] "It's really weird to go from directing a big, big movie, and going around the world with you for three weeks, and having the red carpet rolled out for us all across Europe, Asia, Australia, and then you come back. You are sitting in your little trailer doing a little comedy." He says, "It's the best thing you could do. Trap wood and carry water." It's very easy to lose your bearings when something very wonderful happens, or when something really devastating happens. It tends to throw your whole life off. I know when I've experienced that in the past it throws you off. You lose your bearings. It was very nice to come here and work for a director like John Hamburg, who is a really good guy, and it's a really great ensemble of performers. It was great just to be able to dive into something where all I had to worry about was being funny, knowing my lines, and being a good scene partner.

CS/SHH!: How big is your role in this? How many days are you shooting on this?
Favreau: I'm shooting about 2 weeks all told. Some of those are like wedding scenes and things like that, so I don't have a big part, but the scenes I am in are a lot of fun. Look, it's hard to schedule me into a movie. It takes somebody to go out of their way to make it fit my schedule because I like to stay in town. When you are working on a film like "Iron Man," that thing takes two years and that's your top priority, so it has to squeeze between your day job gigs.

CS/SHH!: Are you still working on DVD features?
Favreau: Yeah, we are going to do a commentary. I just got delivered a whole bunch of extras that look really, really good. We had cameras on the set all the time. They put together something for "Iron Man" that spans from the first story meetings, to designing the suit, all the way through mixing it up at Skywalker Ranch, through the premiere. There are hours and hours of great stuff that will be available eventually. We have to look over all of that stuff so there is still a lot of work to be done. Then there is trying to figure out where the hell we are now and what we are doing.

CS/SHH!: Would you launch into another two year movie after this?
Favreau: Yeah, I would do it. Hopefully we'll figure out how to get "Iron Man 2" going and I'll be involved with that. You have got to out-do what you did before. So, if the last one took two years, we would need at least that to do what we are talking about, or at least thinking about. Nobody knew about "Iron Man," and that was a disadvantage in some ways, but nobody expected anything. I think people were pleased based on the fact that they had no preconceptions about the project. Now, we have a movie that people seem to like and you can't give them less. You have to give them more. There are challenges that come with that as well as the benefit of people already understanding who he is and the character. We told the origin story so where do you go from here? There are plenty of story lines to explore from the 40 years of history from that character.

CS/SHH!: Have you chosen anything?
Favreau: No, we haven't. I haven't been hired to do it yet. I know that Robert and I have talked a lot about what types of things we would like to do, and how to play into the strengths of what we discovered last time around. I look forward to rolling up my sleeves. Hopefully that won't be too long in coming.

CS/SHH!: Kevin Feige said that he was pretty confident that you guys would get something going pretty quickly. Peter Billingsley said the same thing as well.
Favreau: Yeah, Kevin is just a gem of a guy. He really walked the line very well of being the guy who is in charge of movies, and the studio, as well as being my producer and somebody who oversaw the way that the source material was being dealt with. That is a lot of hats for a guy to wear. It was a fairly new position for him. I don't think that he has ever had the responsibility he had on "Iron Man" before. I know that he has worked on "The Incredible Hulk" since then, but its great to have a mix of somebody who respects the source material and doesn't just treat it like something you can use or discard as you see fit, and was very supportive in getting us what we needed to make a good movie. The casting of Robert, the visual effects budget, working with the right vendors, but he had a very high standard of quality control in the film. He was also very helpful in helping me understand the genre, and what people expect from it, while still giving Robert and I the room to have a very different take on the material. We broke a lot of the rules that the genre normally has. We have all been rewarded for taking the chances that we did.

CS/SHH!: I know that Samuel L. Jackson talked about expanding Nick Fury's role for a second film.
Favreau: Oh, good.

CS/SHH!: So, it's news to you?
Favreau: I'm not in the loop on that unfortunately. I think that Marvel has their hands full right now. They have another big movie coming out right now, with "The Incredible Hulk," and that's coming out in a couple of weeks. I know from when I was in that position on "Iron Man" a lot of the heavy lifting for the studio comes in at this stage in the game. They are partnering up with Universal trying to figure out how to roll out the marketing campaign for that, so a lot is riding on that film. I know that they are done creatively working on it, but that is only half the game, so I think right now it's a small studio. There are not a lot of people and I'm sure they have their hands full on that one. Hopefully when the dust settles everybody will be ready to get their head in the game and try to make some more movies.

CS/SHH!: It's obvious that in "The Incredible Hulk" there is the super soldier serum and Captain America's shield in your film. So, is there a story there already with Captain America that you guys will put in?
Favreau: Yeah, truth be told it's more like instinctively we are gravitating towards combining certain properties, but you don't really discover how that happens until you roll your sleeves up and get into the story telling. You do casting. There are a lot of ideas floating around. We will have conversations as we all gather and paw the ground in the parking lots. We'll kick rocks around and start having conversations where we let our imaginations go wild. It's not like we've sat down with a dry erase board and wrote through the whole line of stories. For me I'm pretty confident about who Iron Man is, what that character is, and what the rules of that world are. Maybe Marvel knows, but I have no idea how you relate that reality to the reality of Thor, which seems like a very different set of rules to that universe. Captain America I get, I understand how that would relate, or The Hulk. Especially if you are working towards the idea of doing "The Avengers," how do you make those worlds all feel consistent with one another in the look of the film, the casting of the film, and then the look of the visual effect.

CS/SHH!: I guess you will just have to direct all of them.
Favreau: [laughs] I would love to. Clearly I have stated that "The Avengers" would be fun. But I look at their release schedule and they have announced "Iron Man 2" for 2010 and then "Avengers" for 2011. I know from experience there is no way I could. I don't know what they have in mind, but there is no way that "The Avengers" could be done in a year. Either they are thinking about somebody else doing it or they have something up their sleeve that I don't know. I know these movies take time to get right. I know that you have to have a good script. You have to understand where you are headed when you go into it, otherwise you are relying on blind luck and hard work. It's good to have a game plan, especially at this stage in the game, it's important to understand where all of this is going. All of these properties are working together and I know Kevin has been very diligent about trying to keep a consistency. I will look forward to having these conversations with the guys at Marvel, to laying out all the puzzle pieces and seeing how they fit together.

CS/SHH!: 2010 is pretty soon if you think about it. Is it just an understanding with Robert, you, and everyone just knows it will be a five year thing and you launch into it?
Favreau: I don't know how that works. I've never worked in that world before. I have never done a sequel to a film, nor have I in the past worked on anything where a sequel felt organic. I think it's the nature of "Iron Man" because it comes from a serialized piece of source material, that it does lend itself to having sequels. It's all new ground for me, it's new ground for Marvel, although they have been partnered up and done sequels with other studios. There are a lot of different approaches you could take. Hopefully we end up going for a sequel that is going to be bigger and better than the first one. That's not always the case with sequels. Sometimes you end up trying to do just rush, and hit a release date. Hopefully this sequel will be driven by the material and driven by good ideas. I think that is what got Marvel the success that they have had as an independent studio. I have no doubt that they are going to continue with that philosophy of letting the source material, and the quality of the story, dictate all the other decisions. They are not shackled down by what a normal studio, with a release schedule, has to contend with.

CS/SHH!: But the team is pretty much the same?
Favreau: I know that all the actors are definitely in active negotiations. All of that has been agreed to, which is really encouraging, because I think the cast was a big part of the success of that as much if not more than "Iron Man" the character. I think that as long as you got all those people together, and you have a solid take on the material, then I expect great things.

CS/SHH!: "Demon in a Bottle"?
Favreau: Yeah, I mean that one is definitely brought up a lot. How do you handle "Demon in a Bottle" and when does it come in? I think it happened in the '80s, which was 20 years after the first "Tales of Suspense" so when do you play that card? When do you play the "Demon in a Bottle" card? We sort of tip our hat to it, and certainly there is a lot to be mined there, but it's all a puzzle. How does it fit in? "Demon in a Bottle" also relates to War Machine and James Rhodes's arc. What villains are you dealing with and how much effort do you put into revealing a whole set of characters. We really spent most of the time dealing with Tony in this one, explaining who he is, and why he is the way that he is so that now Iron Man comes to life. You then have to reveal, I think, some heavy duty, heavy weight bad guys that you could then counter balance this incredibly powerful super hero.

CS/SHH!: You introduce The Ten Rings...
Favreau: We have The Ten Rings in there, but the Mandarin is still there. I'm glad that we didn't try to attack the Mandarin the first time around. There is a lot that is very relevant about that character, in the pool of the landscape that we find ourselves in, but there is something off putting and distasteful about the way that the Mandarin had been presented back in the '60s. I don't think that is relevant anymore. How do you maintain the core spirit of what makes that villain so formidable without having something that either seemed out of our reality, as far as what his abilities are, or the way he is depicted.

CS/SHH!: In "Demon in a Bottle" there weren't really a lot of villains. It was when Tony realized he wants to be Iron Man again, James was like, "I don't think so."
Favreau: So you have to create. I also want to see what other movies are doing. It seems that "Hancock" is dealing with a lot of those issues too. The comic book fans might see "Demon in a Bottle" as a fresh story line but I haven't seen "Hancock" yet. From what I've seen it seems there is a lot of imagery that seems to be shared. Him flying through billboards and things. The idea of the hero whose biggest enemy is himself, and him fighting through his demons, you want to come at the audience with something fresh. You don't want to feel like you are echoing something that somebody else is doing. I think you have to look at the comics, look at what else Marvel is doing, but then you have to look at the landscape of superhero films. There are so many out there. I think that part of the reason that "Iron Man" was so successful was that we really chose to break new ground in a new area tonally, cast wise, the way we depict the hero, what his abilities are. It felt fresh in a genre that is beginning to feel stale if it's not done with the proper amount of inspiration and a strong voice or tone. I think as the summer roles out, and I'm really curious about "The Dark Knight" to be honest with you. That was this looming presence that we knew was going to be a great film. I have no doubt that it's going to be phenomenal. I think our big saving grace was the fact that we had a couple of months between that film and us and there was room for both of us. We weren't fighting for shelf space. Even though we weren't going head to head, it was very clear that we could not take this character that on paper could seem very similar to Batman, and I have no doubt that just the inception of "Iron Man" was a reaction to DC. It was definitely borrowed a lot from DC because here you have the billionaire bachelor guy, who was struggling with inner conflict, and he has no super powers. He invents his own suit and his abilities come from himself. He's a self-made hero. We had to really steer clear of everything that "The Dark Knight" was doing. I have tremendous respect for their cast, for [Christopher] Nolan, and so I want to see what they do. I definitely don't want to fight for the same territory as them. There is plenty of room to tell these stories. As a fan I'm really looking forward to it and I have a lot of respect for the way they approach the material too. He has no second unit on his films. He does all the directing himself. If they are going to do some IMAX work then they shoot it in IMAX. He put together a cast in a way that broke ground for me to be able to use the cast that I did. They made sure the script was perfect before they started shooting it and that's not typical for all superhero films. A lot of times they just throw them together and try to do them as inexpensively as they can. They try to chase the poster and chase the date. They put a lot of care into that film. I'm looking forward to see how it pays off. From everything I've seen so far my hat is off to them. I look forward to checking that film out. I have something to talk about, so that's pretty kick ass.

The Mike
06-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Iron Man's Repulsors Set on The Mandarin for Sequel
By John Scott Lewinski June 07, 2008 | 4:56:51 AMCategories: Comics, Movies, Sci-Fi

With the Incredible Hulk tracking surprisingly well and threatening to smash Iron Man's box office records next weekend, director Jon Favreau is keeping Tony Stark and company in the news by hinting at the plot of the Iron Man sequel.

When the original film made mention of the terrorist organization The 10 Rings, it was a clear reference to Marvel history and the alien artifacts The Mandarin discovered before beginning his career of oppression and supervillainy. It seemed like a pretty obvious clue from Favreau and his writers that Iron Man's arch-nemesis would appear in a sequel.

Now, with the director saying he needs "heavy duty, heavyweight bad guys" to confront Iron Man in the next film, Mandarin seems all but a lock. There's no mention of casting yet for the Far Eastern troublemaker, but that will have to break soon, as Robert Downey Jr. will be ready to begin filming in the golden titanium suit again when he finishes the Hugh Hefner biography he's working on now.

Natrix
06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I hope that this isn't true and Marvel will pull their heads out of their asses and do the right thing, it would piss me off big time if they don't!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37037

Regarding the rumors that Marvel won't bring back Jon Favreau for IRON MAN 2...

Hey folks, Harry here... IESB.net broke a story about how they're hearing that the reason Jon Favreau isn't secured to direct IRON MAN 2 is that Marvel Studios Head Honcho - David Maisel is skimping and being cheap regards to making Jon Favreau's deal.

I wish I could come on here and say I know otherwise, but sadly I know otherwise. There is a very very strong chance that unless David Maisel pulls his head out of his ass and work on this deal - you'll see Jon Favreau directing anything but an IRON MAN 2 or an AVENGERS movie.

While the details of Favreau's deal on the first IRON MAN are not public knowledge - he was paid an upfront fee - with real backend participation. Given the success that is clearly happening with IRON MAN - this deal is going to reward MARVEL STUDIOS greatly.

That said - MARVEL should look back at their own Comic History - their history of ^^^^ing over the talent and artists that created much of their library often resulted in those artist leaving the company... creating incredibly profitable characters for other companies and for themselves - resulting in lost revenue for MARVEL that had they treated their artists fairly and justly - rewarding those that brought in the rewards for the company... well, maybe Marvel's comic branch wouldn't have been through such a grotesque roller coaster ride.

Jon Favreau wants to do more IRON MAN movies. He would love to play in the Marvel Universe. Sadly... David Maisel is penny pinching his own company into a malignant purplenurple.

MARVEL STUDIOS has - officially two movies under their belt. IRON MAN & THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Both of which are outstanding films that do a better job of exploiting their characters than anything the Studio system has done so far. However - MARVEL INVESTORS - watch carefully what happens here. If you see MARVEL unwilling to do what is necessary to keep the talent in play - then forget about MARVEL STUDIOS becoming the Pixar of Superhero films.

PIXAR is the model of how to do this. They not only developed internal talent, but hired great talent from other companies - and they're doing everything in their power to keep those incredibly talented and creative people happily working in house.

Running a studio and creating franchises is all about Talent management - and if MARVEL doesn't step up and do the right thing - then all our dreams about a great MARVEL UNIVERSE will begin to wash away.

When I brought this up with Kevin Feige at the Austin screening of THE INCREDIBLE HULK - he said they would be working with Favreau - but that isn't what I've heard from other sources - and it isn't what IESB is hearing either.

The dream of MARVEL STUDIOS is that we don't see stupid decisions like what we saw happen with Fox on X-MEN - where they resort to bringing in "talent" to take over and destroy the work that was already in play.

MARVEL has the opportunity to create franchises that last - not for a few years, but for decades. But they have to make the right decisions and be willing to work with the artists that will grow and evolve the properties into franchises that are worth existing. When an artists' run grows stale, that's when you change horses - not after the first win.

djklambake
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Marvel's gonna eff this up, aren't they...

The Mike
06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Its possible, they gave Avi Arad free reign over the Marvel films done via outside studios and look where they ended up. He was the one pushing for Venom. Favreau already said though if he filmed Iron Man 2 that there would be slim to none chance he'd get a shot to film the Avengers because the timetable already set in place for those films. He actually said in another interview that he expected whomever is helming the Captain America film to probably be paid double duty and do the Avengers as well..

djklambake
06-10-2008, 10:48 PM
They'll probably hire Tim Story for Cap and Avengers...

...and we'll all be let down, clinging lovingly to Favreau's only Iron Man movie for decades...

Sick Boy 82
06-10-2008, 11:01 PM
It's really kinda crappy that JF will only do it for more money. Hell, he should just ask for a percentage of the movie. It'd probably be more that he gets paid to direct. I guess no one really does it for what they love anymore, it's all about the cash and that's it. Very sad.

The Mike
06-10-2008, 11:08 PM
JF wants to do it, he's been talking it up, partly because I think he is hoping for fan pressure. I honestly think that because he gets a percentage off of the backend right now with IM 1 that Marvel is losing a ton and doesn't want to offer him the same deal for IM 2. Marvel is nickel and diming JF not the other way around.

Sick Boy 82
06-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Ah, the article from FirstShowing.net reads the other way around.

Haha, so they gave him to much and now they want him to do a movie that will make even more money for less?? WTF?? Marvel Studios must have some ^^^^ing rerod execs!

The Mike
06-10-2008, 11:12 PM
In reality as the director of The Hulk put out a lot of what is released is all spin and hearsay. For IM 2 to be on track they'd have to start PreProduction by the end of the summer and be filming in mid 2009. So they should be announcing the set director very soon. We already know that the cast is in place.

The Mike
06-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I learned this morning that Marvel Studios boss David Maisel very recently put out an offer to Jon Favreau to direct the sequel and that the offer is "definitely" richer than what the helmer received for the original. Even so, the negotiation has only just begun. So all that Internet blather about how Marvel doesn't want to bring back Favreau because the studio is lowballing him is just b.s. As an insider told me, "They're not paying him the same wage. They're definitely paying him a higher fee to direct this one. What, do people think Marvel is stupid? Of course, the movie was successful, so they're offering him more."

Awesome! Things are heading in the right direction!!!

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/regarding-all-those-iron-man-2-rumors/

Agent0028
06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
All this news just makes me salivate for the next movies. I say we make Mike our official Marvel Movie News Guy. :lol Thanks for all the info.

zoid2323
06-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Man I'm glad its looking like JF is coming back.They dont want to break up the chemistry of a great movie.

The Mike
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I am seriously devoted to my Marvel. :lol

Check this out: The title art:

http://www.mtv.com//movies/photos/blog/javits_photos_061008/marvel_javits_061008.jpg

Its from the New York Licensing Expo that just passed....

Article here:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/06/11/first-look-at-iron-man-ii-thor-captain-america-and-avengers-well-sort-of/

ChrisCJ99
06-23-2008, 06:52 PM
I can't wait for this one! I hope it makes Iron Man 1:1 bust proud :)

The Mike
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
ON FAVREAU RETURNS FOR 'IRON MAN 2'
A crisis is averted as the director 'irons' out his deal with Marvel Studios!
by Josh Wigler
Posted 7/10/2008

JON FAVREAU RETURNS FOR 'IRON MAN 2'Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... and breathe out.

No, we're not singing that ridiculous Bush song from "Fear." We're talking about the mass-hyperventilation of fans everywhere wondering whether or not Jon Favreau would return to direct Marvel Studios' "Iron Man 2." Over the past several weeks, rumors have swirled around with Mark III speed that Favreau was departing the series due to scheduling and money disagreements. Many questions arose: "Is Marvel really lowballing the guy who brought over $500 million internationally to their doorstep? Will Happy Hogan's shining face be absent from the sequel? If Favreau's out, is Downey Jr. going to skip town too?? For the love of all things holy, WON'T SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!?!?"

Well save that panic attack for another day, Iron lads and ladies! Hollywood scooper Nikki Finke reported today that Jon Favreau and Marvel have reached a deal for the director to helm "Iron Man 2," with Robert Downey Jr. set to climb aboard as well! Hoo-freaking-ray! The sequel is still scheduled for a 2010 release, and with both Favreau and Downey Jr. involved, fans can release a collective sigh of relief that Tony Stark's next adventure is in good hands”as though there was any serious doubt to begin with.

So, what's the real scoop here? Well, in her article, Nikki Finke calls Jon Favreau an A-hole... the uncensored way! As if! Ms. Finke, prepare for the wrath of a thousand angry repulsor rays (or e-mails) headed your way! Fanmongers, unite!

Darth Waller
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Hoo-freaking-ray, indeed! :rock

The Mike
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Theroux to Script Iron Man Sequel
Source: Variety
July 15, 2008

Marvel Studios' first production and this summer's current top-grosser Iron Man, has been so successful, grossing over $560 million worldwide, that it was a foregone conclusion that a sequel would happen sooner rather than later. What might be surprising is that according to Variety, they're changing writers for the second movie, going with actor/filmmaker Justin Theroux to pen the sequel, which is planned for a late April release in 2010.

While Marvel Studios negotiates with director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. to bring them back for the sequel, they've hired Theroux, who some might know from his acting roles in McG's Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and HBO's "Six Feet Under." He also wrote and executive produced Ben Stiller's upcoming war comedy Tropic Thunder (also starring Robert Downey Jr.), and presumably Marvel saw that he could write comedy and action suitable for shellhead's sequel. (Marvel Studios themselves haven't commented on any of the developments on the sequel as of yet.)

The Mike
08-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes
Fresh off an amazing, multi-layered comedic performance in TROPIC THUNDER, Robert Downey Jr. commented on Iron Man 2, saying that his goals for the movie included not following the superhero formula.

“Our goals are more of the same. The idea that he said he’s Iron Man in part 1…it’s one thing to say it, and it’s another thing to actually evolve to the point where you can live in a heroic fashion. You know, they say, ‘The superhero movie always needs to follow…’ and I said who is that guy? Get him out of here! We want to do what worked for us last time, in a way that evolves. We’re talking about a guy who is put in an extraordinary circumstance, and the people that are around him, and how that creates a sense of family, and how that disrupts whatever forces that we have to say that are working [in his life]. I like the idea of an Iron Man 2 that you’re able to understand various points of view. You’re able to touch on some subjects that are a lot more far reaching, while still grounding it in entertainment.”

The Mike
08-06-2008, 03:07 AM
http://www.bamkapow.com/bk_images/2008/08/05/the-avengers-movie.jpg

Downey, Jr. talks more Iron Man 2
First things first. There will not be a Hulk in the sequel. Are there going to be other cameos since The Avengers will becoming right after? Yup. Who are they going to be? Well, even he doesn't know yet. You can read more of his interview with Latino Review by going here.

I can't help but think Captain America has to appear in the sequel. There was so much talk floating around Hollywood and the Internet that he would be in the Hulk, and the fact that he's getting his own movie, only further cements the notion that he would appear in the sequel. It'd be really cool if they could sneak in another cameo for Thor since the original Earth's Mightiest Heroes consisted of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp and Hulk.

So much speculation, and not enough concrete information. In any case I can't wait to see how this all develops!

Interview:
During today's Tropic Thunder press junket, Robert Downey Jr. was talking about his role in the Ben Stiller comedy. During the course of the interview Iron Man 2 was brought up by one of the journalists:

Downey: Iron Man 2 is in the works.

It's not going to be with the Hulk is it?

Downey: No.

Hmmm...not enough info me, so I wanted to dig a bit deeper, see what I could get out of him, so I asked more about the sequel:

But have ideas been thrown around for other cameos, since there's an Avengers project in the works?

Downey: Ya, it's a big world. It's kind of hard to navigate because you want to be able to set up The Avengers in Iron Man 2, but you don't want to um....

Take the focus off of Iron Man?

Downey: Ever. [laughs] It's such a big leap, before we were grounded in reality and now we're starting to go into the Marvel Universe. I don't know much about this, I just know that we go scene to scene to scene, and we have some great scenes which I think will be really surprising at how we took all of this goodwill and this success and we decided to do something ever more kind of risky and something that represents the way Jon thinks and the way I like to develop a character. So, it's going to be good.

Have other heroes been mentioned about making an appearance? Captain America? Thor?

Downey: I can neither confirm nor deny that. [That always means yes to me. -Ed] Honestly, nothing's set in stone right now.

So that was all I could get from him. The way he answered the question about Thor and Captain America and the look he gave me, was an indication (to me anyway), that something is more than likely in the works as far as cameos. Especially bringing up the fact that they are now moving more into Marvel Universe territory. Sounds exciting!

Discuss below or yell at this guy: [email protected]

Dana P.
08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.bamkapow.com/bk_images/2008/08/05/the-avengers-movie.jpg

Downey, Jr. talks more Iron Man 2

Very interesting Mike, thanks for posting that info.

I saw Iron Man for the 2nd time last night and it easily remains the most enjoyable film I've seen this year. Granted, I've only seen a handful (Spiderwick Chronicles, Prince Caspian, Hulk, Dark Knight, and Indiana Jones), but for sheer enjoyment and fun, Iron Man wins hands down.

Where is that pic from at the top of your post? Interesting renditions of the Big Three.

The Mike
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Where is that pic from at the top of your post? Interesting renditions of the Big Three.

The image is from Bam Pakow, the website I got the story from, its just an artist interpretation of what they'd look like no official connection to the films or Marvel Studios

Dana P.
08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
The image is from Bam Pakow, the website I got the story from, its just an artist interpretation of what they'd look like no official connection to the films or Marvel Studios

Nice, thanks.

The Mike
08-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man Sequels
Source: RazorHawk
August 15, 2008

Iron Man and Tropic Thunder star Robert Downey Jr. visited "Live with Regis and Kelly" this morning to promote the latter, but he was asked by Regis Philbin about Iron Man 2.

Downey Jr. would only confirm that it is happening and said he thought they would end up making a trilogy of it. He did, however, hint that he was willing to make more films beyond a trilogy!

Downey Jr. will soon start filming the Guy Ritchie-directed Sherlock Holmes and will then shoot Iron Man 2 for an April 30, 2010 release.

customizerwannabe
08-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Man, I wish they'd dump that milk toast British-wannabe Paltrow. Can't stand her.:emperor

customizerwannabe
08-17-2008, 11:18 AM
BTW Mike...love your sig line.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

The Mike
08-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I love it too. :D

The Mike
08-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Favreau Gets to Work on Iron Man 2
Source: Los Angeles Times
August 21, 2008

The Los Angeles Times talked to Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau, who says they have started working on the sequel:

I just talked to Jon Favreau a bit ago, and he said that while there hasn't been an formal announcement on the sequel to "Iron Man," he's begun developing it. "We're working on it now," he said, "which hasn't been officially announced. It will be released in 2010."

Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures are targeting an April 30, 2010 release date in order to be the first film to kick-off that summer, much like Iron Man did on May 2nd of this year.

Justin Theroux (Tropic Thunder) is writing the script and in addition to Robert Downey Jr., the first film's co-stars Gwyneth Paltrow and Terrence Howard are expected to return as well.

RoboDad
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Man, I'm excited already! It's definitely going to be a loooong wait. But if it's as good as the first one, it'll be well worth it!

Sick Boy 82
08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Damn, Downey is gonna be raking in the bucks! First IM, then Tropic Thunder, and he's filming Sherlock Homes (which I hope is ridiculously awesome!!) and now IM2!! Ballin'!

ChrisCJ99
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Saweeeeet!!!!! :banana can't wait!!!!! Didn't read too much, but isn't Thor appearing in this one??

The Mike
08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
The original announcement by Kevin Feige was that Iron Man 2 was supposed to introduce Thor in some fashion to help segway into his own individual film. Whether or not that is still the case we'll have to wait and see what Theroux (Tropic Thunder) and Downey put together...also if Thor isn't casted by shoot time he may not be able to be in the film...they want the same actors to span all films.

Bullseye
08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice bit of news. I wonder how far off The Avengers will be?

The Mike
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
The Avengers was already slated for a 2011 release....if Marvel keeps to that schedule look for many of the actors to go right into that film after IM2 wraps.

tomandshell
08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I hope Favreau has enough time to make it right and make it good.

TOE
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Avengers is nothing without Wasp and Giant Man. When are we going to see a movie of those guys? Where is the Thor movie? Captain America ? 2011 is just around the corner.

The Mike
08-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Iron Man 2 and Thor originally announced to 2010 and Captain America and Avengers were originally announced for 2011. Ant Man's film is still in limbo but he was planned to be included in the Avengers so there is Pym. I'm guessing that the Marvel Studios execs feel that she couldn't carry a film on her own so she'll probably be introduced in The Avengers film.

ChrisCJ99
08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info Mike :)

Agent0028
08-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Ant Man is one of those that I have a really hard time seeing having his own movie. Seems like more of a subplot for another movie. But if they are going to make it, why wouldn't they go ahead and have Wasp in it too?

The Mike
08-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Exclusive: The Return of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Source:Edward Douglas
August 29, 2008

The summer's just about over and surely one of the clear-cut winners in terms of superhero movies is Marvel Studios' Iron Man, and in the nearly four months since it came out, there's been a lot of talk about its already-in-the-works sequel Iron Man 2. We already know that director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. were coming back, and we presume that so is Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow, since they've both signed multi-picture deals, but what about some of the agents of Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate (S.H.I.E.L.D.) who were introduced in the first movie?

Yesterday, Superhero Hype! talked with actor/filmmaker Clark Gregg about his directorial debut, an ambitious adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's Choke starring Sam Rockwell, which garnered a lot of buzz at the Sundance Film Festival. When we asked him about what he had coming up next, he mentioned returning for the new season of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' hit CBS sitcom "The New Adventures of Old Christine" on which he's a regular, but also that he held out some hope that he'd returning as Agent Phil Coulson in the sequel.

"I was on a plane with Robert Downey the other day, and I was saying, 'C'mon now, I'm feeling Coulson's gotta come back!' so we're open," he told us before joking, "I'm pretty sure Downey will be in the next one. I'm pretty sure Gwyneth (will be)."

But what about Samuel L. Jackson, who made a brief post-credit cameo as the one and only Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. We spoke to him at Comic-Con International last month and this is what he had to say about reprising the role in future Marvel Films:

"We've talked about it and there's up until 2011 before 'The Avengers' shows up, so he'll show up periodically from time to time."

So while there's essentially no real news if either of the S.H.I.E.L.D. staples will be returning, there's high hopes that Marvel knows they have a good thing if they've already talked to Jackson about returning, and we'll have to see if Clark Gregg prodding Downey will be enough to bring back Fury's wingman Agent Coulson.

Agent0028
08-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I think it might be cool if Tony does some work for SHIELD or something in the next movie. Maybe he could even be going after whoever the bad guy is on their behalf as opposed to deciding to go after some baddie on his own. On the other hand just little cameos may be good to keep us salivating for the Avengers.

SOLIDSNAKE
08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I hope is as good as part 1.

ChrisCJ99
08-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Quick question here, and I'm sure it's been discussed so I apologize if I'm an echo in here :o But why did they choose Samuel L Jackson to play the cameo for Nick Fury? Isn't Nick Fury a middle aged white guy that has brown hair and white hair by the temples? (kinda similar to mr. Fantastic) just curious :)

eighthsamurai
08-30-2008, 07:24 AM
they did ask david hasselhoff to reprise his role as nick fury but he refused stating, "i don't need to do that kind of stuff anymore. it's beneath me. i'm on top of the world right now. i was in click and on youtube and i rocked them both, so no thanks." so they looked for the guy who looks and sounds most like david hasselhoff. and that's why they chose samuel l. jackson. plus apparently in the avengers there's supposed to be a scene about foot massages, and samuel l. has experience with these things.

The Mike
08-30-2008, 07:27 AM
:lol

In reality if you read "The Ultimates" and follow a bit of that storyline mixed in with the standard Marvel Universe "616" you'll see that they've combined both into an overall origin. In the Ultimates Universe, Nick Fury was modeled after Samuel L. Jackson, all of the ultimates were including Brad Pitt for Thor. SLJ was the only actor to sign off on his likeness and when the film was made Faverau and company felt it would only make sense to use the newest incarnation for the cameo.

JABBATHERIDGE
09-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Some Iron Man 2 news, nothing particularly surprising though.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=iron_man_2_revelations

The Mike
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Iron Man 2 to Star the Mandarin, and Maybe War Machine
Posted at 10:10 AM Sep 12, 2008
Jon Favreau was at a press conference yesterday for the upcoming Iron Man DVD, where he announced that the villain of Iron Man 2 would be his main comic nemesis, the Mandarin, the evil Chinese man with the magic rings. (Seriously. Forty years of comcis history, and an evil magic Chinese man is Iron Man's biggest villain. Sigh.) Here's the important news:

• Matt Fraccion's current Iron Man run is inspiring.

"I'll tell you which [comic books] we're looking at very closely, not so much for story but for tone: the Matt Fraction [ones]," he said. "I haven't talked to him yet, but we want to talk to him and get him out here. The Fraction series seems to be informed as much by our movie as by what had happened with Iron Man before."
• Mandarin's insane Fu Manchu-style racism is a bit of a challenge. From Scifi.com:

In terms of the villain, Favreau admitted that he is still struggling with the character of the Mandarin and how to properly translate him into the movie's world. Though he hints at a possible appearance in part two, he indicated that it's unlikely he will be the primary focus. "We'll see how that basic group of four people moves forward towards the inevitable Avengers that's coming and how the Mandarin, how largely he looms in the next one, that's mostly what we're doing," Favreau said.
• If Terrence Howard will stop ^^^^ing around with a music career, he can be War Machine.

And what's up with the 800-pound gorilla in the room, War Machine, the superpowered character that Howard's Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes morphs into? "I want to do it," Favreau said enthusiastically. "We're drawing War Machine. We're figuring it out. We're talking to Terrence to see if he can take some time out of his new life as a musician to be War Machine. I think Terrence and the character of Rhodey were smaller in the first movie than we had anticipated. But it does set the table very well for this character."

The Ringer
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Should be interesting.

OSCORP
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Bring it!!!

Metalhead
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Interview with Favreau on Iron Man 2 and beyond.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7660

yodasan
09-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Your chance to be in Iron Man 2...for a small fee:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180285971272&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT

MinMay
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
nice idea...

If I was a millionaire, then I'll go for it.

Your chance to be in Iron Man 2...for a small fee:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180285971272&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT

The Tuggernaut
09-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Im so excited about this movie! :rock
Just such a long wait....

Chimera 1
09-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Paramount released a statement that listed the upcoming movies in their line up, along with Spielberg and Dreamworks leaving Paramount to start their own venture:
Paramount released a statement (via Nikki Finke's DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD
DAILY) on Friday saying, "We congratulate Steven, David and Stacey, and
wish them well as they start their newest venture. Steven is one of the
world's great story-tellers and a legend in the motion picture business.
It has been an honor working closely with him and the DreamWorks team
over the last three years and we expect to continue our successful
collaboration with Steven in the future."

"To facilitate a timely and smooth transition, Paramount has waived
certain provisions from the original deal to clear the way for the
DreamWorks principals and their employees to join their new company
without delay."

"The acquisition of DreamWorks has been beneficial both creatively and
financially for Paramount and accelerated our strategy of focusing on
our world-class franchises and brands. It gave us a solid slate of films
to fill out our lineup, a valuable catalog we were able to monetize, and
a development pipeline that will bear fruit for us for years to come.
The acquisition jump-started our rebuilding plans, which are now well
underway and include promising upcoming releases such as STAR TREK by
J.J. Abrams, G.I. JOE by Stephen Sommers, TRANSFORMERS 2 by Michael Bay,
David Fincher's THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, and Jon Favreau's
IRON MAN 2, among many others."

Finke also reports that her sources said the deal was done last week and
was likely to be signed any day. Further, her sources say DreamWorks
informed Paramount within the last 24 hours that the deal with Reliance
was done. Today, Paramount waived certain provisions from the original
deal to clear the way for DreamWorks to leave.

JonnyReedie
09-24-2008, 06:11 AM
empire online had an insight to this film a while back, JF was struggling to figure out a villian, he doesnt know how to execute mandarin and even if he did he would be in a third film,
war machine was confirmed though,

i cant wait, is this gonna be our ''official'' thread or are there gonna be hundreds for every bit of leaked info until release?

J

Chimera 1
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
This could be the official thread. I didn't see anymore. I haven't seen the first Iron Man yet but plan to when it gets released on BluRay. I am also not up on the Iron Man lore. I plan on going and reading some of the graphic novels to get familiar with it though.

JonnyReedie
09-24-2008, 06:20 AM
i just know the very basics and not read much on him, the first film is brilliant, and im sure you will love it

i would recommend not reading too much GN as it will just lead to dissapointment with the movies,
but if you are enjoying the GN then go for it! but dont do it for the movies

Adoptedscot
09-24-2008, 06:29 AM
There's a lengthy thread in the Marvel section about IM 2 also with lots of info, here you go:
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35143
x :peace

The Mike
09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/lock1.jpg

Sick Boy 82
09-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah, you need to ask The Mike before starting any movie related threads. Since he has no life, he is always on top of movie news. lol

The Mike
10-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Jon Favreau Chats About Iron Man 2
Source:Los Angeles Times October 1, 2008

On Wednesday, Iron Man and Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau participated in a live chat at the Los Angeles Times. While you can read the entire transcript there still, we've pulled out Favreau's answers to the questions that cover the sequel:

We're playing with who the villain should be and what we should incorporate from the comic book. And how it will lead into the Avengers.

I'm working with Justin a writer. He's writing the first draft of the script. I'm working with a story board artist. As well as designing the costumes for good guys and bad guys.

I think its important for all filmmakers working for Marvel to collaborate so there is a consistency in the films, so yes they should keep in touch. I had not been in touch really with Louis during"Hulk" and I think that would have been helpful. I hope to be in contact with directors in the future.

No Dresden, but Marty and Elayne would make good supervillians.

Mandarin is still an important figure in the Iron Man universe. We have an interesting take on him that allows us to incorporate the whole pantheon of villains. The whole 10 Rings thing in IM 1 was a good tease for it.

The sequel is shaping up to incorporate Tony's vision for the future. What happens after he says "I am Iron Man?"

I focus mostly on story and character. I put a great value on emotion, humor and natural dialogue. The effects are fun to explore in original ways, but without a strong story, they mean nothing.

An earlier answer that scrambled: Now that marvel is making its own movies, every movie has to fit into the Marvel universe. the Avengers incorporates not just Iron Man, but Thor, possibly the Hulk and traditionally Captain America as well. As it is, it's scheduled Thor will come out the same summer as "Iron Man2" and Captain America will come out a few months before Avengers. All the films have to come together to create a consistent universe.That's very important to everyone involved.

Robert brought him to life "for real." I found a guy that embodied enough of the qualities of Tony Stark to imbue him with an emotional reality. Fergus and Ostby and Markum and Holloway added much to the equation as writers as well.

Happy Hogan can no longer be a wall flower. I must marry Pepper someday. And let's not rule out the Freak! I have tremendous leverage to make such demands! Stay tuned.

Shield is imortant to the franchise, and what is Shield without Fury?

The only other comic character I would do is Groo.

The "connection" you ask about relates directly to the Mythic "rise of the hero" or hero's journey. The character must grow or change over the course of the film. If not, the movie goes emotionally flat and relies on tittilation.

We need War Machine. Agreed. Shoulder cannons and all.

Stark has issues with booze. That's part of who he is. I don't think we'll ever do the Leaving Las Vegas version, but it will be dealt with.

The date is daunting. We are making much faster progress than the first time around and have much less to design and fewer casting issues. I am confident that 2010 is achievable if we continue working together as we have for tha past few months. It has to be great, though. It has to be great.

My seven year old son said Iron Man was the second best movie of the year. #1 was Panda.

The new Fraction books are pretty great. We flew him out to LA to discuss story. He's a great comic writer. Also, love Adi's art. He will work on the movie's designs.

There's always room for improv on my sets. I set up multiple cameras and let them rip.

I think we need some version of "classic villains" in these movies. Many don't hold up well to time and to the big screen, but their essence should inspire the characters.

Female villain... Now there's an interesting notion.

Tough to actually shoot in IMAX when you have a CG hero much of the time. The effects becaome very expensive and may not look as good in the higher resolution. Worked very well for DK, though.

Iron Man is indeed a celebrity. He announced who he was and we have now officially departed from the standard secret ID superhero. Tony was already famous before the announcement. What would really happen if this went down? Fun to explore.

The Ringer
10-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Has Favreau mentioned anything about changing the suit at all? I really hope not because that thing is perfection!

ChrisCJ99
10-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but will the Stealth Armor make an appearance in the second movie? :)

The Ringer
10-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Only in Hasbro's Wildest dreams.:lol

acreed
10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I just hope it is as good as the first. I hope they don't screw it up.

Bardoon
10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but will the Stealth Armor make an appearance in the second movie? :)

More like in SIDESHOW'S wildest dreams...

They love ANYTHING Stealth.

ridimous
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Iron Man 2 will be way better than the first one for sure. 2 good guys (Iron Man and War Machine) will definitely have to be battling out at least 4 bad guys.

Wor-Gar
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
http://scifipedia.scifi.com/images/5/51/Mandarin-1.jpg

:slap

Nekita
10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Iron Man 2 will be way better than the first one for sure. 2 good guys (Iron Man and War Machine) will definitely have to be battling out at least 4 bad guys.

I just rewatched IM and from my pov there's really not much to improve here. Actually I can't name anything significant at all.

Bardoon
10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I just rewatched IM and from my pov there's really not much to improve here. Actually I can't name anything significant at all.

Whaaaat??????

-WAR MACHINE!!!
-More dynamic armor vs. armor battles if Iron Man fights someone like Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man. Those two suits can be sleek like Iron Man and less monsterous than Iron Monger.
-Tony Stark's alcoholism...something that is certainly an additional flaw of the character that is part of Marvel's heroes (Spidey's guilt over his Uncle Ben, the X-Men's mutant discrimination,etc.)
-The Mandarin!!!

Wor-Gar
10-13-2008, 06:10 PM
-The Mandarin!!!

The Mike
10-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I would look for Mandarin to look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Mandrin1.jpg

than that. :lol

FQRizzo
10-13-2008, 06:56 PM
They can improve the villain, definitely.

Corporate Stane = good
Iron Monger = bad (cool design, though)

ridimous
10-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I would look for Mandarin to look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Mandrin1.jpg

than that. :lol

Hell Yeah!

Hope not.

ridimous
10-13-2008, 08:44 PM

I think they could improve it with more action. More blowing up. More tanks. More armored villains. Good guys and bad guys both using the Jericho. Just more. Also, they should bring back the flight attendants :D

tomandshell
10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Just read that Terrance Howard will not be returning for Iron Man 2 (for "financial" reasons). He is being replaced by Don Cheadle.

darren1228
10-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Just read that Terrance Howard will not be returning for Iron Man 2 (for "financial" reasons). He is being replaced by Don Cheadle.

Please tell me you are joking or that this is one of those unbased rumors (example: Cher playing Catwoman for the 3rd Batman).

tomandshell
10-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like he thought he deserved more money than they were offering. So they gave Don Cheadle a call.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ibc7ed676383467c2ef5b0b84b924a87b

darren1228
10-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow totally unexpected...... Nothing against Cheadle he is a great actor but I just don't see him as a military guy (he is skinny in all the roles I've seen him in). I loved Howard's performance in Iron Man and it's a shame he won't be in the War Machine suit. :monkey2

tomandshell
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
"Next time..."

:monkey2

darren1228
10-13-2008, 11:39 PM
"Next time..."

:monkey2

Maybe not......:monkey2

Is Howard being greedy or Marvel being stingy?
I'll keep an open mind on Cheadle though......he can act, no question about that.

tomandshell
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
It's probably a little of both. If his part was bigger, he deserved more money. I would think that to get second billing and an expanded role in such a huge movie would be a thrill for an actor on the rise. But this is how he makes his living, and so he has the right to negotiate for what he considers to be fair compensation. I will miss him in the role.

Devil_666
10-14-2008, 03:05 AM
I just posted this in the movie section. lol.
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43096

Basically.. actors get signed for a movie for a certain amount. It's impossible to tell if the movie will succeed or not.. so taking a moderate amount of money for a role is fair. But once the movie comes out IF it blows up, IF the merchandising blows up, IF the hype machine gets rolling.. and anticipation for the sequel is high.. THEN that intial small amount of money that was "fair" before isn't so "fair" anymore for a repeat performance. Especially since in the sequel, Terrance's character was supposedly going to play a bigger part with War Machine. I don't think it's out of line to expect more money on Terrence Howard's part especially since Marvel got fat off the first IM movie. Like I said.. initially when actors sign on for a project they have high expectations but there's no certainity. But now they have a solid idea of what to expect money wise when it comes to the sequel. The sequel will make just as much if not more than the original.. so why would people from the first film do a sequel for the exact same amount they got from the first film with that knowledge? Especially if they were going to have a MAJOR role in that sequel.

IrishJedi
10-14-2008, 05:22 AM
The news of no Howard really sucks and actually dampens my enthusiasm for the sequel.

Let's hope something happens to change this and he and Marvel come to an agreement afterall. Or is it a done deal?

Edit: Nevermind. Sounds like a done deal. :(

Dr.Mirakle32
10-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Looks like Marvel is a HUGE Crash fan.

darren1228
10-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Looks like Marvel is a HUGE Crash fan.

Maybe they'll replace RDJ with Matt Dillon :lol

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/[email protected]@._ V1._SX100_SY133_.jpg

The Mike
10-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow...I could have thought of more than a handful of actors that could have replaced Howard than Cheadle...

The Mike
10-14-2008, 11:39 AM
On an equally interesting note, everyone knows that the Iron Man suit for the film was heavily influenced by Adi Granov's drawings and that he even pitched a couple of variations during storyboarding. Rumor circulating is that War Machine's suit will use Adi's drawing for Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #33 cover as a beginning template....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/IROMcover33F.jpg\

Notice no spot for an Arc Reactor? Meaning the suit would have to be powered some other way to work and would keep Iron Man's need of one (arc reactor) to Tony. Should be interesting to see where this goes.

BeachBum
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM

Count me bummed. I thought TH did a great job, maybe a bit low key, but he's way more believable in the role than DC.

uscmhicks
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
no Howard !! WTF !. Man ... that annoys me ... his performance was excellent.
So Don Cheadle is war machine... hmm.... gonna take a while for me to get Terrance out of the role now !.

Great actor though at least.

Nekita
10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I think they could improve it with more action. More blowing up. More tanks. More armored villains.

Been there, seen that. Pimped action leaves me lukewarm these days, sounds like a Lucas plan.

The Mike
10-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Terrence Howard Speaks Out on Rhodey Recast
Source:NPR, CHUD October 18, 2008

Actor Terrence Howard appeared in the NPR studio to talk about his debut album "Shine Through It" with Scott Simon for the Weekend Edition. Of course, Simon had to ask him about the recent news that Don Cheadle would be replacing him as James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the upcoming Marvel Studios sequel Iron Man 2.

That news (which has yet to be confirmed by Marvel Studios, who remains as mum as usual) took many fans of the summer's blockbuster hit by surprise since Howard played a large role in many fans' love for the movie, and just as many were excited to see Howard step into the iron suit of War Machine. After the announcement a few days ago, speculation ran rampant about why Howard wouldn't return, but on Simon's radio show, Howard said that he found out about the news the same way the rest of us did.

"It was the surprise of a lifetime," he said. "There was no explanation. [The contract] just...up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

You can hear the entire interview on NPR.org with the comments about Iron Man 2 starting at roughly 4 and a half minutes in.

Agent0028
10-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Well that sounds crappy.

Sick Boy 82
10-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Wow, that's sounds like a pretty crap move on Marvel's side. It really is to bad, as I like DC, but I've already seen TH as War Machine. Sure, they replaced RD in TDK but I could serious care ^^^^ing less about here. She is a nobody to me for the story to continue. War Machine on the other hand is not only a huge part of IM, but a big part of the MU in general!!

I think that's a ^^^^ move on Marvel's part if they are responsible. Really, really sucks. :monkey2 :monkey2

darren1228
10-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Terrence Howard Speaks Out on Rhodey Recast
Source:NPR, CHUD October 18, 2008

Actor Terrence Howard appeared in the NPR studio to talk about his debut album "Shine Through It" with Scott Simon for the Weekend Edition. Of course, Simon had to ask him about the recent news that Don Cheadle would be replacing him as James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the upcoming Marvel Studios sequel Iron Man 2.

That news (which has yet to be confirmed by Marvel Studios, who remains as mum as usual) took many fans of the summer's blockbuster hit by surprise since Howard played a large role in many fans' love for the movie, and just as many were excited to see Howard step into the iron suit of War Machine. After the announcement a few days ago, speculation ran rampant about why Howard wouldn't return, but on Simon's radio show, Howard said that he found out about the news the same way the rest of us did.

"It was the surprise of a lifetime," he said. "There was no explanation. [The contract] just...up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

You can hear the entire interview on NPR.org with the comments about Iron Man 2 starting at roughly 4 and a half minutes in.

If true then you deserve a big "boo" Marvel. Of course this could be Howard's way of saying "Yeah I asked for more money and got turned down." I can't see Marvel not contacting Howard at all and offering the part to Cheadle

IrishJedi
10-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I can see Marvel doing that. Afterall, they almost went with a different director for IRON MAN 2. If it weren't for RDJ and fan outcry at places like AICN Favreau may very well have gotten replaced too.

They had better watch it. THEY'RE not the reason behind the quality of their films so far, it's the talent.

darren1228
10-19-2008, 01:15 AM
I can see Marvel doing that. Afterall, they almost went with a different director for IRON MAN 2. If it weren't for RDJ and fan outcry at places like AICN Favreau may very well have gotten replaced too.

They had better watch it. THEY'RE not the reason behind the quality of their films so far, it's the talent.

Replace Favreau.......what is Marvel smoking?? Might as well replace RDJ as well :confused:

Glad to see the Favreau situation resolved but the Howard situation is still a bummer.

ridimous
10-19-2008, 11:49 AM
If they're replacing Terrence Howard, I think Tyrese Gibson would be a good candidate.

The Mike
10-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Well one, they've replaced Howard already with Cheadle. Someone claimed that they originally wanted Cheadle for the first one but I haven't found anything solid to back that. As for Marvel Studios many people even within Marvel themselves have admitted that Avi Arad's interference with Spider-Man 3 pushing Raimi to include Venom singlehandedly changed the entire original script. While Kevin Feige is the President of Production and doing a lot of the press about the upcoming films Avad is still on almost every film as producer and is really high standing. While Marvel wants their own vision on their characters they have a really hard time allowing the artists prove their visions are coinciding.

Booyah!
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Samuel L. Jackson Updates his Nick Fury Role in Iron Man 2
Clearly, Samuel L. Jackson has been in some of the most fun genre movies of our time. Over the weekend, he updated one of his up and coming roles as the head agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
At a press junket on Sunday, Jackson replied that...

"As a matter of fact, IRON MAN director Jon Favreau spoke to me at the Scream Awards last night, and told me that Nick Fury would have a much more prominent role in the second one (Iron Man II)."

Jackson also went on to say that he is looking forward to working with Don Cheadle who will be playing Jim Rhodes (and possibly War Machine) in the sequel

Agent0028
10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
More Nick Fury. :woo

The Mike
10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Here is another trade talking about the replacement but this one is fairly funny:

Remember last week, when the trade papers reported Don Cheadle had replaced Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2? Whup, it turns out that's when Terrence Howard found out too! Here's how Howard described it in an interview with NPR:

It was the surprise of a lifetime. There was no explanation. [The contract] just...up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up.
Come on, Marvel. That's the Hollywood equivalent of breaking up with someone by changing your relationship status on Facebook and hoping they get the hint. And then to immediately switch to "is now in a relationship with Don Cheadle"? Why not post a note on his wall that you'll be over tomorrow to pick up your military uniform and that Coldplay album he borrowed? You are ice cold, Marvel.

Of course, there's always the chance he's skewing the facts to make himself seem innocent, but I have to believe we'd get straight talk from any man so strangely frank about his need for a woman to clean herself with baby wipes.

uscmhicks
10-20-2008, 08:17 PM
:lol:lol:lol
MARVEL ROCK. . :rock:lol

darren1228
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
"That's the Hollywood equivalent of breaking up with someone by changing your relationship status on Facebook and hoping they get the hint. And then to immediately switch to "is now in a relationship with Don Cheadle"

:lol:lol:lol

Darth_Maul
10-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Guys i don`t know if this pic has been posted anywhere else but maybe Mike can help us out !!! Mike is this pic real mate ??? If it is i can`t wait to see the sequel...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc308/Darth_Maul82/762L.jpg

The Mike
10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Yes, that is the original conceptual design for War Machine as the first couple of drafts had him in the first film. Later it was scrapped for an origin angle which ultimately worked out well, the first couple of drafts had the origin being told in flashback. Favreau has said that he is keeping the Saunder's origin in mind when designing War Machine but that it'll be a resigning taking a lot from Adi Granov's recent resign of War Machine in the comics. That pic is in the "Terrence Howard replaced thread".

Darth_Maul
10-22-2008, 02:50 PM
so..i think this is the spot that i`m saying...``Thank ya Sir``!!! :chew

Natrix
10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
I also posted this in the Avengers thread but since it also concerns IM2 here you go!

Great news!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38902

Jon Favreau officially Directing IRON MAN & Producing THE AVENGERS - & Don Cheadle is stepping in for Terrence Howard!

Hey folks, Harry here - The other day I was reading the New York Times - and came across a paragraph that gave me pause. They were talking about Obama's closing speech in Ohio - that he gave yesterday, and how Obama's chief speechwriter Jon Favreau was hard at work crafting it. Now, I realize there's probably many different Jon Favreau's of the world, but then I thought - well Orson Welles worked with FDR... It is possible. But I wrote Jon to see if he was moonlighting as the best speech writer in politics today - and he confirmed that he was in Bora Bora - and absolutely not the same Jon Favreau writing Obama's speeches.

Well - damn - I think everyone in America that wants to have a better year, should evidently change their name to Jon Favreau - cuz the geek Jon, knocked IRON MAN out of the park, just got his deal for IRON MAN 2 and is Executive Producing THE AVENGERS. And the Obama Jon - well, he's been speechifying real damn good at a word processor.

ANYWAY - here's the latest news from MARVEL. My opinion on the Cheadle/Howard switch? Well - I love both actors, but I wish continuity would have solidified. Don will be fantastic, as he always is, I just wish the switch wasn't an apparent necessity.

MARVEL STUDIOS PRODUCTION UPDATE

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS' THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2

As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.

Academy Award® nominee Downey was most recently seen in the summer comedy blockbuster TROPIC THUNDER starring opposite Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Before Iron Man, he was best known for his film roles in KISS KISS BANG BANG, WONDER BOYS and CHAPLIN, the film for which he was nominated for an Oscar®.

In addition to directing the first IRON MAN, Favreau has previously directed ELF, ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE and MADE. He is also well known for writing and starring in SWINGERS. He will next be seen acting in FOUR CHRISTMASES, I LOVE YOU MAN and COUPLES RETREAT.

DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2

Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel's IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.
Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.

Cheadle is best known for his Oscar® nominated lead performance in HOTEL RWANDA as well as his role as Basher Tarr in the OCEAN'S franchise, CRASH and SWORDFISH.

Based on Marvel's iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer's box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Cheadle is represented by UTA. Downey and Favreau are represented by CAA.

Natrix
10-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Pretty good two part interview with Favreau up at aintitcool.

Part 1 http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38907
Part 2 http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38906

quadcent
10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah i just heard one the radio, driving home that RDJ signed a 3 picture deal, fro two more im's and the avengers. looks like they're pumping all they can out.:banana

The Mike
11-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Why Did Marvel Recast Rhodes in Iron Man 2?
Source:Entertainment Weekly November 1, 2008

Why did Marvel Studios recast Col. Jim Rhodes in Iron Man 2? The surprise announcement that Don Cheadle was taking over the role from Terrence Howard in the sequel (and now The Avengers) left many fans wondering what happened. Entertainment Weekly has an article possibly explaining how this came to be:

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')
You can read the full article here.

dunedain
11-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Wow! More payed then RDJ! Who is the star of the movie. He sure has a darn good agent.

The Mike
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Entertainment Weekly has another update to the ongoing debate on why Terrence Howard was cut out of Iron Man 2 (he wouldn't take a pay cut and wasn't that good at acting, apparently):

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')
As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. (Marvel would not comment for this story.)

So much drama. Who's at fault here? Should Terrence Howard have taken less pay and done a better job acting? Should Marvel have at least told him before they recast his role? If I'm having a party, should I invite them both and risk them getting into an awkward argument when Marvel shows up with Don Cheadle? Is it possible Marvel found out that Terrence Howard is a skeleton wearing a magical flesh suit to blend in with the general population until he can ready his skeleton army? These are the questions we must answer before Iron Man 2 comes out.

The Mike
11-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Robert Downey Jr. on Cheadle/Howard Switch
Following up on the Terrence Howard / Don Cheadle switcharoo for the upcoming Iron Man 2 film, MTV was able to sit down with Tony Starks, Robert Downey Jr., himself to discuss his feelings on the topic.

When asked if he had anything to do with the Howard/Cheadle switch, Downey immediately responded, “I had nothing to do with that decision. I love Terrence very very much. That’s all I’ll say because I haven’t talked to him yet.”

Furthermore, the “Iron Man” star makes it clear that he will not play favorites between the two equally talented actors, so if you’re looking for a juicy “good riddance” quote from Downey (who’s definitely not shy when it comes to speaking his mind), you won’t find it here.

“I’ve always admired Don [Cheadle],” said Downey. “It’s one of those situations where I still don’t quite know what happened or why. Here’s what happens too: things happen and you wind up commenting on them before you’ve actually talked to the people and it’s in poor taste.”

Sounds like Robert isn't going to take sides, and is interested in protecting his burgeoning franchise. He adds…

“I think the important thing with the ‘Iron Man’ franchise is to not do too much too soon and to make sure we don’t piss off the public that put us in the position we’re in,” said Downey. “We’ve just got to keep rolling up our sleeves higher and further up the elbow. If we show up and we’re in the right head space and our heart’s in the right spot and we really think about the audience at every turn and we don’t try to stamp our hipness onto anything. It’s very interactive.”

Dr Daystrom
11-08-2008, 06:42 AM
I guess I'm the only one who found Terrence Howard's performance in the first film a bit lackluster and isn't at all ticked off by the change?

Frankly I thought his portrayal of Rhodey was flat and he came off mainly as Tony Stark's nagging pseudo-wife most of the time, rather than as his concerned friend.

For myself, I'm excited to see if Cheadle can maybe refocus the character a little.

Darth Cruel
11-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I could not care less who plays Rhodes, or Pepper, or Tony Stark or any of the other charcters. As long as they do a great job, I can easily make the transition from one actor to another.

Agent0028
11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
RDJ basically embodies Tony Stark to me now, I really can't see somebody else in the role. The others I could get used to a recast.

tomandshell
11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I can't imagine someone other than RDJ in the part.

Dr Daystrom
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I have to go with the previous couple posts. RDJ is Tony Stark, and I think any tinkering there would be foolish and kill the series.

Gwyneth Paltrow hit all the right notes a Pepper, and likewise would be a blow to lose.

imho, Terence Howard (who is a fine performer mind you) just didn't make the Jim Rhodes character his, and his performance suffered for being next to other actors who found their characters perfectly. Rhodey needs to be more assertive, focused and stronger, and far less of a whiner. Just my $.02

The Mike
11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
RDJ basically embodies Tony Stark to me now, I really can't see somebody else in the role. The others I could get used to a recast.

Bingo. Although I loved Paltrow as Pepper, I think a recast if it came to that would do fine as well as long as they went with substance over appeal but RDJ IS Tony Stark. Any change in that character would really ruin the films for me not to mention I'd safely bet that anyone who'd step into that role would end up trying to emulate RDJ's performance and really fall flat.

The Mike
11-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Justin Theroux on Iron Man 2
Posted by Jenna Busch on 11/21 at 06:42 PM
UGO: You got involved with the script for Iron Man 2 because of your work with Robert Downey Jr…

JT: Robert introduced me to those guys over at Marvel.

UGO: How psyched were you?

JT: I was sooo damn psyched! Are you kidding me? It’s like a dream job. Happy to take that meeting.

UGO: So where are you with the script at this point?

JT: We’ve kind of got a first draft around. You know what I mean? I just got back from London where I was working with Robert and Kevin Feige. He was out there. We were talking with Robert, who’s out there doing Sherlock Holmes, he was giving his input and his notes. We’re sort of there. It’s just sort of chugging along. The crews, I think, are now starting to see what they need to make, and the places that we might be going and all the rest within the story. That’s sort of one of the more exciting times.

UGO: So you weren’t involved in the whole Don Cheadle/ Terrence Howard were and you want to tell me something…

JT: No, I wasn’t. I genuinely wasn’t. (laughs)

UGO: There have been reports that the role of War Machine was scaled back and then beefed up.

JT: No, that’s all nonsense. Whatever their reason is, I’ll leave that up to Marvel. We’re writing the thing, virtually the same for Rhodey that we would for any actor. We’re really taking what’s going to be the most interesting story for the fans, and what are they going to enjoy watching. And who ever’s in that part is going to have to play that part and make it work for Jon (Favreau) and the fans who are watching the movie.

UGO: So the size of the role wasn’t ever changed?

JT: No. God, no.

UGO: So did you have to, or did you try to accommodate Don Cheadle’s acting style?

JT: I think that will probably be something that comes up...I haven’t met Don, and I think I’m going to in a little bit and I think once I get a better sense of his voice and also hear what he has to say about what he likes about the character and just pick his brain a little bit, then we’ll obviously start to tailor it to him. Once he sort of gets more involved in the process then we’ll start tapering the length of his character...making it fit just right.

UGO: Everyone’s speculating about the villain. Are we talking Mandarin? Or Evil DJ?

JT: (laughs) I think it’s Evil DJ. He could be the villain in this movie. I don’t know. I mean, I do know but I’m not going to let that cat out. I’ll let Jon start discussing when he thinks it’s the right time.

UGO: Considering that everyone’s coming together for the Avengers movie, were you ever told that certain things had to be in the story or that things had to go a certain way?

JT: No. I mean, I think we’re all sort of conscious of the fact that all these people...it is the Marvel universe, but that’s really about as far as we’ve been made...they haven’t given us any instruction as far as we want you to do this or we want you to do that. And really it’s not really a they/us kind of environment, the way they work. It’s just a bunch of guys and girls sitting in a room, trying to come up with stuff and doing what’s right for the movie and what, at the end of the day, is going to be the most interesting film that can be made. Kind of a fun film. I think once we’re sort of locked on that we’ll be able to think about how we can thread things through. There’s a couple little things that we’ve been working on, but it’s not that we’ve been taking meetings with Avengers people. It’s not like we’re six screenwriters sitting in a room from each movie and thinking about how we’re gonna work on each other’s things.

UGO: Have you written Stan Lee’s cameo yet?

JT: No, I don’t think so. (laughs) I don’t know, I don’t know. Jon will anoint him with that cameo, I’m sure.

UGO: Gwyneth Paltrow is still listed as “rumored”. Is she confirmed?

JT: I don’t know. I don’t know if she’s confirmed or not...I’m planning like she is there but I have no idea.

UGO: Finally, what voice do you think you bring to the script, to make it different from the last one?

JT: I’m not really trying to bring a different voice. I’m trying to mimic and sing in the same key as the script that was there before. If anything, I think I bring a knowledge of the way Robert’s mind works. I’ve worked with him once before. Hopefully I’ve proven I have some modicum of creative relationship with Jon and Marvel. So I really think my job is to work with them and not try and strike any new chords. Of course we want to make the story different and interesting. We want the action to be really good. But I think my job is really just to...serve the ultimate guy, which is Iron Man.

LordAzrael
11-22-2008, 03:54 AM
I guess I'm the only one who found Terrence Howard's performance in the first film a bit lackluster and isn't at all ticked off by the change?

Frankly I thought his portrayal of Rhodey was flat and he came off mainly as Tony Stark's nagging pseudo-wife most of the time, rather than as his concerned friend.

For myself, I'm excited to see if Cheadle can maybe refocus the character a little.

Yep. Rhodes needs to be tougher. I always imagined his voice as much deeper too. I mean - he sounded almost white to me. Think more along the lines of Michael Jai White (the guy who played Al Simmons in Spawn).

I just couldn't his Rhodes telling Tony to go f*#k himself

Booyah!
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
From MTV:

MTV: As you begin work on the sequel, what can or should be improved upon from the first "Iron Man"?

Downey: Our idea is that this one brings us much more beneath the armor of Tony. It's one thing to say you're Iron Man, but what does it actually mean to become someone that can shoulder that responsibility? As we noticed at the end, he's still not even responsible enough to read off the card that Shield and the government have given him. He still can't help doing his own thing. He'll have to come to terms with that. I think we could have more excitement. We could use a love triangle or two. I think it's really important to keep up that idea of Tony's interfacing with inanimate objects. He's at his greatest ease when he's faced with machines. I would love to see a little shout-out to the fact that he's an MIT graduate. I love the idea of him inviting over a bunch of super-nerds from MIT who wind up figuring into ["Iron Man 3"] a little bit.

MTV: You know that "The Avengers" movie is the one every comic book fan is salivating for.

Downey: That means if we don't get it right, it's really going to suck. It has to be the crowning blow of Marvel's best and brightest, because it's the hardest thing to get right. It's tough to spin all the plates for one of these characters.

MTV: Are you guys discussing "Iron Man 2" as a story that will feed directly into "Avengers"?

Downey: It seems natural that it would at least introduce that factor. My inclination is to bring it another step. The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is that Jon was very certain that "Iron Man" should be set in a very realistic way. Nothing that happened in "Iron Man" is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants, it warrants much further discussion.

The Mike
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
His last comments mirror the comments from Nolan about a Justice League film....

The Mike
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
‘Iron Man 2’ Screenwriter Justin Theroux Confesses There Is No Dialogue With Other Marvel Writers
Published by Shawn Adler on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 1:23 pm.

If it wasn’t already, Robert Downey Jr’s recent comments to MTV News make one thing abundantly clear: As the flag bearers and gold standard for Marvel movies, the team behind “Iron Man” feels a great responsibility, not just to their own upcoming sequel, but to other Marvel properties as well.

So now that the “Narnia” duo of Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely have been tapped to pen “Captain America,” it’s a sure bet Downey, Favreau, and screenwriter Justin Theroux are burning through phone cards trying to connect. Right?

Wrong, said Theroux, who told MTV News that there was absolutely no dialogue between other Marvel writers and himself. None.

“You know, there’s NO dialogue right now - in a great way,” the scripter confessed. “I think [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige just wants to make sure we can make the best movie that we can make.”

What that means for now is that while Theroux is certain “Iron Man 2” will have even more comic cross-overs (perhaps Thor, perhaps Giant Man, perhaps someone else), he’s insistent he hasn’t yet been burdened with having to be the one to connect them all together – not even when it comes to the superhero tag-team up “Avengers.”

“No, not yet. But that being said, Kevin is in all the meetings for all the movies, and is the sort of connective tissue – the neurons if you will – running between the meetings. Making sure all the things can be connected,” Theroux explained. “But they haven’t burdened us with that yet. We’ve obviously kept an ear out for it, and we’re looking for ways to write that don’t bump [heads]. Once we sort of get to a more stable place at that point, we’ll see where to go from there.

“It’s not like someone holding the back of our necks saying, ‘Don’t forget, you got to write about so and so,’” Theroux continued. “It’s just making sure we get our story straight and great and then once that happens then we’ll be able to take in other obligations.”

Do you think the lack of communication will help or hurt Marvel’s upcoming slate of films? Talk it up in the comments!

Dally
12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I hope the lack of communication doesn't harm the continuity of the Avengers film.

The Mike
12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Incredibly Scant Details Regarding Iron Man 2 Cast
Posted at 11:02 AM Dec 03, 2008

Apparently an Iron Man 2 casting call sheet went out, with the following roles:

[MALE LEAD]
30s, Eastern European, brilliant, gritty...

[FEMALE LEAD]
20s, beautiful, speaks several languages fluently and is equally proficient in martial arts...

[BRUISER]
Russian, 20s or 30s, at least 6′2″, able to perform own stunts, has the build of a MMA fighter...
And from that, Coke and Comics and Newsarama surmise that both Black Widow and Crimson Dynamo will be in the sequel, assumably as Female Lead and Bruiser. So who's the Male Lead? Have they decided to make the Mandarin a generic Eastern European guy? If so, will he still have magic rings? Will he be named after another fruit? Your preposterous speculations in the comments!

Booyah!
12-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't think that first male lead is for the Mandarin. I belive they're keeping him as the big lead baddie in the third film.

Crimson Dynamo, Black Widow and maybe Titanium Man?

For Black Widow, I vote Ivana Milicevic. She even has the accent:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/vaderplayer/ivana-milicevic-photos-sexy-002-150.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/vaderplayer/ivana-milicevic-photos-sexy-001-150.jpg

Agent0028
12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Isn't she the one who played Le Chiffre's girlfriend in Casino Royale. I'd love to see her as Black Widow just to see her with more screen time. :love

The Mike
12-04-2008, 08:42 PM
For Black Widow, I vote Ivana Milicevic. She even has the accent:

God no. Not only is that particular actress overexposed....I swear I see her in every friggin' movie (64 appearances in movies and TV since her first appearance in 1996) but I really don't understand the attraction....she does absolutely nothing for me. Black Widow is the whore of the Marvel Universe, she is unapologetic about being hypersexual and not to mention that she is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JMPTX/ThunderdomeS2/Week%207%20-%20Commies/BlackWidow.jpg

http://www.dollymix.tv/black%20widow.jpg

In my opinion you keep the actress European to get that look established but you gotta go Asia Argento:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9821/asiaargento26wk9.jpg

Especially if you want the harsh, sexual, edgy look and feel. Or since Natasha is supposed to be around Tony's age in all reality you go Monica Bellucci and really kick up the sexual quotent.

http://www.intowit.com/bloggd/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/monica-bellucci-32.jpg

hairlesswookiee
12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
God no. Not only is that particular actress overexposed....I swear I see her in every friggin' movie (64 appearances in movies and TV since her first appearance in 1996) but I really don't understand the attraction....she does absolutely nothing for me. Black Widow is the whore of the Marvel Universe, she is unapologetic about being hypersexual and not to mention that she is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JMPTX/ThunderdomeS2/Week%207%20-%20Commies/BlackWidow.jpg

http://www.dollymix.tv/black%20widow.jpg

In my opinion you keep the actress European to get that look established but you gotta go Asia Argento:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9821/asiaargento26wk9.jpg

Especially if you want the harsh, sexual, edgy look and feel. Or since Natasha is supposed to be around Tony's age in all reality you go Monica Bellucci and really kick up the sexual quotent.

http://www.intowit.com/bloggd/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/monica-bellucci-32.jpg

yes please!! either one will do. both are allowed in my house.

The Mike
12-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Comic Movie News: Iron Man 2
Posted at 11:06 AM Dec 18, 2008
• Apparently Jon Favreau has hired Tim Robbins to play Papa Stark in Iron Man 2. /Film says it'll be part of a flashback sequence where Howard Stark will be involved in the Captain America project. This will be a shaft in the backside to actor Gerard Sanders, who played the elder Stark during the awards montage in the first film. Incidentally, Tony Stark says his dad helped build the atom bomb during WWII, and this Captain America/Super-Soldier Serum fits right in with that.

But here's what's been bothering me. Say Howard was born in 1920, and doing the Cap n' Bomb stuff from the ages of 19-25--within reason, although I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be older then. And say Tony is 35 during the Iron Man movie, which assumably takes place in 2008, although I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be younger. That would mean Howard sired Tony in 1973, which I suppose is reasonable. But not really. Bugs me, is all.

Iron Man Sequel Casting Rumors
Since I am refusing to post the ridiculous Batman 3 casting rumors I thought I would share an interesting rumor that actually sounds feasible. Latino Review is reporting that Tim Robbins will be playing Howard Stark in flashbacks that will setup the Avengers and Captain America.

Jon [Favreau] wanted to get a good actor because he didn't think the guy who played Howard in the last film could carry such an important scene.

Makes sense to me because Howard Stark would be around the time of the Captain America Super Soldier experiment.

Also Hawkeye and Black Widow are definitely in the sequel and not just a cameo.

Agent0028
12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
It occured to me when I first saw the movie that Tony's dad working on the Manhattan Project was a little odd for the timeline. I love that Marvel is putting little things here and there in the movies to make a movie universe. That's one of the biggest disappointments in the previous movies, they all existed independently.

Darkseed
12-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Ahhhh man! I didn't think a lick about the time line, now you got me thinking :o

The Mike
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
'Iron Man 2’ Screenwriter Insists Theme Of Sequel Will Be Identity
Published by Shawn Adler on Monday, December 29, 2008 at 12:23 pm.

It came out of nowhere to surprise us all, and led in no small part to making Robert Downey Jr. the actor MTV News was most thankful for this year. But now that “Iron Man 2” is already full-steam ahead, what can or should be improved from the first film?

“I’m sure Rob would have a million answers!” screenwriter Justin Theroux exclaimed when we brought the question to him (And Downey certainly did have some “Iron Man 2″ answers for us.)

As for Theroux himself, however, the biggest difference, he says, won’t necessarily be an improvement, but a total paradigm shift in dealing with Tony Stark.

Which may or may not turn out to be, you know, better.

“The obvious thing to improve upon — well, it’s not even an improvement it’s just something to embrace — which is that he’s now a hero that lives in the real world. That’s unique,” Theroux said of Stark’s earth-shattering revelation at the end of the first film that he was Iron Man, making him the first-ever cinematic super without a secret identity.

It’s not a small distinction. There is a line between Clark Kent and Superman, or say, Bruce Wayne and Batman. You could even argue about both that one identity is the “real” one. There no longer is that line with Tony, which means, well, something big.

For his part, Theroux isn’t ready to talk specifics, but says the nature of his identity is something that’s going to be a monumental part of the second film.

“Yeah, it’s something that we’ve made a real decision to run towards rather than away from,” he said.

tomandshell
01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Mickey Rourke will be playing the Crimson Dynamo. Sam Rockwell will also be joining the cast. Good news!! Especially with Rourke about to be an Oscar nominee for The Wrestler.

Natrix
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Mickey Rourke will be playing the Crimson Dynamo. Sam Rockwell will also be joining the cast. Good news!! Especially with Rourke about to be an Oscar nominee for The Wrestler.

Well, they are in talk for the parts anyway despite the headline.

Rourke and Rockwell are the Iron Man 2 Villains!
Source:The Hollywood Reporter, Variety
January 7, 2009

Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler) and Sam Rockwell (Frost/Nixon) are in talks to star as the villains in Marvel Studios' Iron Man 2, being directed by Jon Favreau from a script by Justin Theroux, according to Variety and The Hollywood Reporter.

THR says that Rourke would play a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils. Variety adds that Rourke would play the Crimson Dynamo. "He's considered to be an evil version of Iron Man because he battles the superhero in a nuclear-powered suit of armor," says the trade.

Rockwell would play Justin Hammer, a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist Tony Stark, AKA Iron Man, being played by a returning Robert Downey Jr.

Rourke and Rockwell would be joining a cast that also includes the returning Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle, who is replacing Terrence Howard.

Another part -- one for Stark's assistant Natasha -- is still open.

The project is eyeing a spring start in Manhattan Beach. Paramount will release the movie May 7, 2010.

Mickey Rourke sizes up 'Iron Man 2'
Actor may play Russian villian in Marvel sequel
By MICHAEL FLEMING, MARC GRASER, MARC GRASER

In what would mark his first studio film since resurrecting his career with "The Wrestler," Mickey Rourke is in talks to play the main heavy in "Iron Man 2," the Marvel Entertainment sequel that director Jon Favreau begins shooting this spring.

Sam Rockwell also has begun talks to play a villain in the pic, to be distribbed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2010.

Which role Rockwell will play has yet to be disclosed by Marvel, but Rourke is in discussions to play the Crimson Dynamo, a heavily tattooed Russian arms dealer. He's considered to be an evil version of Iron Man because he battles the superhero in a nuclear-powered suit of armor.

Script is still being written by Justin Theroux, and Marvel has been trying to keep a wrap on details leaking out to fanboys.

Rourke goes into the Golden Globe weekend vying for best actor in a role that revived his career. Downey soared to become one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood when "Iron Man" grossed over $600 million worldwide.

Rockwell most recently appeared in "Frost/Nixon" and "Choke."

The Mike
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Huh...there have been at least 12 versions of the Crimson Dynamo with looks ranging from:

http://www.toddcountry.com/ebay/may084749.jpg

to

http://cityofsecrets.pbwiki.com/f/CrimsonDynamo%5B1%5D.jpg

each having a very distinct armor structure and a very different operator.....none of which are named Ivan....should be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Memnoch
01-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Snagged this off IGN, makes Roukes character name a bit clearer (to me anyway).

Iron Man 2 Villain Casting
Wrestler, Dangerous Mind stars up for bad guy roles.
by IGN Staff

January 7, 2009 - Mickey Rourke, the so-hot-right-now comeback star of The Wrestler, and Sam Rockwell (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) are in talks to join the upcoming Iron Man sequel as dual villains.

Rockwell, The Hollywood Reporter says, is up for the part of Justin Hammer, "a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist" of Tony Stark. Incidentally, Rockwell was one of director Jon Favreau's original choices for the Iron Man role.

As for Rourke's part, there appears to be some confusion. Variety says that he would play "Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit." The trade mag hints that he's the Crimson Dynamo.

But wait... The Hollywood Reporter describes the character differently. They say Rourke will portray "a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes Whiplash, a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils." That doesn't sound like Whiplash at all -- that character is a girl, except in the Ultimate universe where he's only been briefly glimpsed. The description sounds a little bit like Omega Red, but we're inclined to think that Rourke is actually playing Crimson Dynamo, as Variety states.

- Marvel
Will Rourke play Crimson Dynamo?

Did somebody get their wires crossed here? Is it intentional misinformation? We think the latter is a real possibility given the extremely convoluted nature of today's announcements.

Finally, THR scoops that another role, that of Tony Stark's assistant Natasha, has yet to be cast. Confused yet?

Share your thoughts on Iron Man 2, coming in May 2010, in the comments below.
UPDATE: Marvel's profile of Whiplash reminds us that he was once called Blacklash. His real name is Mark Scarlotti and he was a weapons designer and head of research for Stark International who fell in with organized crime. At one point "he was an operative for Justin Hammer, another rival of Tony Stark. Hammer called on Scarlotti for various reasons even if he had to turn him against another Hammer employee." Scarlotti was killed by the sentient Iron Man armor in Iron Man #28.

The Josh
01-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Yeah, same here. He just fits what Tony Stark is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the news which I was catching up on sounds quite interesting. I think they pulled off the first one quite well and trust them to do the second with the same attention to detail.

DinoLast
01-10-2009, 05:25 AM
As long as they keep the story centred on Stark, I don't care who is the villain. Why do sequels always have to up the villain quota anyway?

Dr Daystrom
01-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Why do sequels always have to up the villain quota anyway?

I dunno, but you're right, it DOES seem to be an unwritten "law" of comic movies. Probably just because any comic hero worth his salt has more good villians than the number of movies they're likely to make, so they try to squeeze multiples in to try and make the fanboys happy. Also they're always inclined to make sequels feel "bigger" and adding extra villians seems to be the lazy man's solution to that.

smc100
01-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Snagged this off IGN, makes Roukes character name a bit clearer (to me anyway).
Quote:
Iron Man 2 Villain Casting
Wrestler, Dangerous Mind stars up for bad guy roles.
by IGN Staff

January 7, 2009 - Mickey Rourke, the so-hot-right-now comeback star of The Wrestler, and Sam Rockwell (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) are in talks to join the upcoming Iron Man sequel as dual villains.

Rockwell, The Hollywood Reporter says, is up for the part of Justin Hammer, "a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist" of Tony Stark. Incidentally, Rockwell was one of director Jon Favreau's original choices for the Iron Man role.

As for Rourke's part, there appears to be some confusion. Variety says that he would play "Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit." The trade mag hints that he's the Crimson Dynamo.

But wait... The Hollywood Reporter describes the character differently. They say Rourke will portray "a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes Whiplash, a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils." That doesn't sound like Whiplash at all -- that character is a girl, except in the Ultimate universe where he's only been briefly glimpsed. The description sounds a little bit like Omega Red, but we're inclined to think that Rourke is actually playing Crimson Dynamo, as Variety states.

- Marvel
Will Rourke play Crimson Dynamo?

Did somebody get their wires crossed here? Is it intentional misinformation? We think the latter is a real possibility given the extremely convoluted nature of today's announcements.

Finally, THR scoops that another role, that of Tony Stark's assistant Natasha, has yet to be cast. Confused yet?

Share your thoughts on Iron Man 2, coming in May 2010, in the comments below.
UPDATE: Marvel's profile of Whiplash reminds us that he was once called Blacklash. His real name is Mark Scarlotti and he was a weapons designer and head of research for Stark International who fell in with organized crime. At one point "he was an operative for Justin Hammer, another rival of Tony Stark. Hammer called on Scarlotti for various reasons even if he had to turn him against another Hammer employee." Scarlotti was killed by the sentient Iron Man armor in Iron Man #28.

Maybe they are talking about this Whiplash

The Mike
01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
As long as they keep the story centred on Stark, I don't care who is the villain. Why do sequels always have to up the villain quota anyway?

Well two things. If Whiplash IS the villian he needs Hammer. Courtesy of Justin Hammer, Blacklash wields a pair of cybernetically-controlled titanium whips that can extend to be swung fast enough to deflect bullets, or become rigid and be used as nunchaku or vaulting-poles. Blacklash also carries a variety of devices in a weapons pouch, including anti-gravity bolas and a necro-lash which releases electrical energy generated by his gauntlets.

Two, in the comics Justin Hammer had obtained Stane International after the death of its chairman Obadiah Stane, causing problems for Tony Stark through his old company. He DOES NOT have powers. Justin Hammer is the funding for a ton of villains including Electro, Blizzard, Whiplash (obviously), Crimson Dynamo, Rhino, Sandman.

He is a villain for Tony Stark because no matter what he keeps his hands clean because its the brawn he hires to take the fall. Its excellent to bring him in because while the supervillains take on Iron Man, Hammer takes on Stark.

Maybe they are talking about this Whiplash

Possibly, Mark Scarlotti (Blacklash/Whiplash) is originally a gifted electrical technician at Stark International's Cincinnati branch, but becomes a professional criminal to try and become wealthy. With a costume and a metal whip of his own design, Scarlotti becomes Whiplash, a weapons designer, special agent, and assassin for the criminal organization the Maggia. In the Ultimate Universe businessman Marc Scott competes with Tony Stark for military contracts via his company Whiplash.

The Mike
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:331087" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=type%3Dnormal%26id%3D1602483%26vid%3D 331087%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A3310 87%26startUri=mgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A33108 7" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:500px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.mtv.com/movies/trailer_park/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movie Trailers</a> - <a href="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movies Blog</a></div>

Don't blink you'll miss it.

Venomous venom
01-14-2009, 06:30 AM
someone must catch the point of that video...i dont blink...and get nothing...hihihihihi

Natrix
01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
From aintitcool:

Remember the hubbub leading up to the release of IRON MAN?

First we were told Samuel L. Jackson would appear in the film as Nick Fury. Then we were told he wouldn't. Then we learned that he does show up in the movie...very briefly...but you had to wait through the entire closing credit roll to see him.

The idea was, of course, that Jackson's appearance as Fury would serve to perpetuate an AVENGERS spinoff which would incorporate Tony Stark/Iron Man. Now, it seems, strangeness is afoot in this regard.

"I saw ['Iron Man' and 'Iron Man 2' director] Jon Favreau at the Scream Awards and we had a conversation. He said, 'I hope things are working out for you because we're writing stuff for you.' Then all of a sudden last week I talked to my agents and manager and things aren't really working that well."
[EDIT]
"There was a huge kind of negotiation that broke down. I don't know. Maybe I won't be Nick Fury. Maybe somebody else will be Nick Fury or maybe Nick Fury won't be in it. There seems to be an economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world so [they're saying to me], 'We're not making that deal.'"

...said Sam per THIS DISCUSSION with The Los Angeles Times.

The L.A. Times does specify that Marvel's official stance is that negotiations with Jackson are "active", but also considers this a "boilerplate response".

Will we see a recast Nick Fury in IRON MAN 2 (cue Shia LaBeouf)? Has Fury been shown the door completely? Does this news portend a change of approach re: Marvel's plans to cross pollinate franchises, culminating in THE AVENGERS? Or, is this merely a bump on the road to Sam's eventual return as Fury?

Stay tuned...

And the LA Times story referenced in the above article:

Nick Fury no more? Samuel L. Jackson says 'Maybe I won't be Nick Fury'
06:14 PM PT, Jan 13 2009

EXCLUSIVE AND UPDATED

Samuel L. Jackson, clearly bristling, said today that negotiations to put him in the role of Nick Fury have broken down because "there seems to be an economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world."

Jackson told me today that despite his cameo as the hard-bitten military man at the end of "Iron Man," it now appears that "somebody else will be Nick Fury or maybe Nick Fury won't be in it" when it comes to "Iron Man 2," "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers," the announced slate of Marvel Studios projects through 2011 that might have a natural spot for the character.

Jackson, who is a fanboy favorite after roles in three "Star Wars" films, "The Incredibles" and "Unbreakable," was actually used as the model for the Ultimate Marvel version of Fury, which took the white, grizzled, aging commando with salt-and-pepper hair and re-imagined him as a younger, bald African American. There were cheers in theaters at the end of "Iron Man," when Jackson appeared as Fury, but when I asked the actor about it today he shook his head.

"I saw ['Iron Man' and 'Iron Man 2' director] Jon Favreau at the Scream Awards and we had a conversation. He said, 'I hope things are working out for you because we're writing stuff for you.' Then all of a sudden last week I talked to my agents and manager and things aren't really working that well."

Jackson might just have been taking a public position that could lead to a bigger payday (it certainly wouldn't be the first time a Hollywood star used an interview as a negotiating tactic) but he seemed especially sour on the whole the topic of working with Marvel ...

"There was a huge kind of negotiation that broke down. I don't know. Maybe I won't be Nick Fury. Maybe somebody else will be Nick Fury or maybe Nick Fury won't be in it. There seems to be an economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world so [they're saying to me], 'We're not making that deal.'"

I called Marvel Comics and they gave me a statement that suggested that they still want to see Jackson wearing the eyepatch. "Marvel does not comment on active negotiations," was the boilerplate repsonse, but there was that emphasis on the word "active" in the voice of the spokesman who phoned me back.

Marvel Studios only has two films under its belt, "Iron Man" (which finished as the second-highest grossing film of 2008) and "The Incredible Hulk" but executives with the Hollywood upstart have high hopes for creating a new model of unified, character-crossover films that would mirror the spirit of the Marvel Comics in the 1960s, when heroes and villains collided constantly in the various comics titles and firmed up the concept of "the Marvel Universe." One challenge to that will be keeping a good number of movie stars happy with the roles and their paychecks.

Terrence Howard, who by some reports was the first actor signed to "Iron Man" and the highest-paid actor in the cast, won't be back for the sequel (Don Cheadle is taking his place as the key supporting character Rhodey and his alter ego War Machine) and money seems to have been part of the issue. Marvel execs essentially have to weigh each film's budget with the calculating eye of pro-sports franchises who want marquee players but have to fit them under a team salary cap. A publicly traded company, Marvel has a stated goal of keeping shareholders happy with a rigid allegiance to the bottom line. And Marvel's stock has held up far better than shares of most of its larger rivals over the last year. Helped by the lift from "Iron Man" in spring, Marvel Entertainment shares actually rose for the year, gaining 15% to close 2008 at $30.75. That was an amazing feat, considering that more than 90% of all U.S. stocks fell last year. By contrast, Walt Disney shares slid 30% in 2008, Viacom Inc. plunged 57% and Time Warner fell 39%. So far this year, Marvel is down 5.5%, Disney is down 6.6%, Viacom is off 8.1% and Time Warner is down 2.5%.

Think of the challenge to Marvel to put its crossover dream on the screen: For "The Avengers," that means putting Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Edward Norton as Hulk, Cheadle, whoever plays Thor and whoever plays Captain America all in the same movie. How much room (and money) would be left for a supporting character like Jackson as Fury? Still, like I told the actor, he has a big advantage on his side: Who else wants to wear that patch, especially since the character is based on Jackson? Jackson laughed. "Maybe nobody will wear it. Maybe they'll decide Nick Fury won't be part of it."

-- Geoff Boucher

The Mike
01-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Powerplay amongst actor and studio. Same thing happened with Jon Favreau remember? Rumors are that RDJ almost bounced out as well. Edward Norton is currently in holding with Marvel Studios because he wants more power over the film, editing, producing etc....it'll continue with way for a while but Iron Man 2 from what I've read, it didn't really focus on Nick Fury as a side character but more on Howard Stark and how he developed the alloy for Captain America's shield which became the base for the Iron Man suit, the alloy.

Agent0028
01-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I can live without Nick Fury in IM2, but I can't imagine it without him in the Avengers movie. And I want Jackson to play Fury. No substitutes.

The Mike
01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Filming for the Avengers is a while away. The PreProduction isn't even slated to begin according to Marvel Studios until Thor and Captain America have been figured out. Nick Fury is a requirement for The Avengers films I agree but also we have plenty of time for Marvel and SLJ to kiss and make up.

Sick Boy 82
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
SLJ can take a flying leap off the SHEILD ship!! I like him, but can't really see him in this role, I want Thomas Jane!!!! He would be a badass Nick Furry.

Or we could go oldschool and bring back the man, David Hasselhoff!!

Agent0028
01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Filming for the Avengers is a while away. The PreProduction isn't even slated to begin according to Marvel Studios until Thor and Captain America have been figured out. Nick Fury is a requirement for The Avengers films I agree but also we have plenty of time for Marvel and SLJ to kiss and make up.

Okay, I'll hold off on pushing the panic button for a few years. :lol

Escargot
01-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I am so happy and glad that he is in the sequel...

Natrix
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
More news today:

Emily Blunt, who formed a level of management between Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway in “The Devil Wears Prada,” is said to be up for a character in "Iron Man 2," possibly one of Tony Stark’s future fellow Avengers.

From Nicole Sperling at Entertainment Weekly:

… sources say Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada) could play a lead character named Natasha, who goes by several aliases, including the Black Widow. Blunt is apparently one of many actresses the fillmmakers are considering, though she's believed to be the front-runner.

Soviet superspy Natasha Romanoff made her initial Marvel Universe appearance in the Iron Man feature of 1964's Tales of Suspense #52.

Funny thing about Blunt is it was hard to notice how beautiful and charismatic she was in “Prada” because she was so overshadowed by Hathaway’s otherworldly hotness. But I recently saw Blunt playing an American in “The Jane Austen Book Club” and I could hardly take my eyes off her – even though Maria Bello and Maggie Grace were often lurking nearby.

Find all of the EW story on the matter here.

http://origin.aintitcool.com/images2007/bluntb.jpg

The Mike
01-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Bodywise I think she could pull it off already and she is plenty tall:

http://cdn.chickipedia.com/www/images/d/db/Emily-blunt6_314.jpg

They'd have to do muted hair though because she looks silly with it drastic like in DWP:
http://www.lahiguera.net/cinemania/actores/emily_blunt/fotos/3235/emily_blunt.jpg

The Mike
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Mickey Rourke Low-balled for Iron Man 2
January 20, 2009

Marvel dosen't understand the value of a Golden Globe I guess. According to Variety the all things super hero powerhouse decided that they would only offer Mickey Rourke $250K to play the lead villain in the film.

How that deal makes any sense to anyone I have no clue.

Then there is comeback kid Mickey Rourke, who is poised to follow his Golden Globe-winning performance in "The Wrestler" with an offer to play the main villain in "Iron Man 2" — but at a lowball opening offer of $250,000 from Marvel; Marvel’s tactics have already prompted Samuel L. Jackson to swear off playing Nick Fury because of a similarly low offer.

tomandshell
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
In related news, Emily Blunt has been offered $7,500 for her role in the sequel. Marvel bosses refuse to go any higher.

The Mike
01-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I think this blogger's comments sum it up greatly:

What the ^^^^ is going here? Iron Man made over $575 million worldwide, and everyone knows Iron Man 2 is a license to print money. Why is hell is Marvel even ^^^^ing around with this

Agent0028
01-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Being stingy with money doesn't bode well.

IronFingaz
01-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Mickey Rourke Low-balled for Iron Man 2
January 20, 2009

Marvel dosen't understand the value of a Golden Globe I guess. According to Variety the all things super hero powerhouse decided that they would only offer Mickey Rourke $250K to play the lead villain in the film.

How that deal makes any sense to anyone I have no clue.

Then there is comeback kid Mickey Rourke, who is poised to follow his Golden Globe-winning performance in "The Wrestler" with an offer to play the main villain in "Iron Man 2" — but at a lowball opening offer of $250,000 from Marvel; Marvel’s tactics have already prompted Samuel L. Jackson to swear off playing Nick Fury because of a similarly low offer.

Wtf?!?!! That offer's insulting. They better not ^^^^ it up because they won't open up there wallets.

Don't be this guy, Marvel.
http://massappealmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/scrooge2.jpg

The Mike
02-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Mickey Rourke will not be Crimson Dynamo
Mickey Rourke will not be Crimson Dynamo in next Iron Man film according to Robert Downey Jr.. While this interview with MTV doesn't confirm or deny that he is even in the film they do lean to him playing another villain "Whiplash." Check out the video below and draw your own conclusions…

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:mtv.com:1604146" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=type%3Dnormal%26id%3D1604146%26uri%3D mgid%3Auma%3Avideolist%3Amtv.com%3A1604146%26start Uri=mgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A338230" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

tylerdurden
02-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Personally i'd like to see them develop tony stark's problems with alcoholism. they already hinted at it in part1---in the first half of the film, stark had a drink in his hand practically every scene he was in! except in the cave, cos apparently terrorists don't drink. :rolleyes:

as a marvel character he was unique in that way. he was very much an adult, with adult flaws and issues. like in the comic storyline "demon in a bottle" his own worst enemy was himself!

of course, we can't hv the whole movie with stark stumbling or flying around drunk (tho that could be pretty funny to watch), so we need some kick-a$$ villains too...

The Mike
02-07-2009, 11:14 PM
except in the cave, cos apparently terrorists don't drink. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you've been brought up to code on terrorist actions but last time I checked they don't offer you booze when you are a prisoner....

tylerdurden
02-08-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure if you've been brought up to code on terrorist actions but last time I checked they don't offer you booze when you are a prisoner....

dude, it was a joke. of course i know terrorists don't offer you alcoholic beverages when you're a prisoner :rolleyes:

however, there WAS this one time, when i was in band camp.....

CelticWarrior
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
band camp For the win!!! sorry couldnt resist .. now back on target lol

tomandshell
02-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Sounds like Scarlett Johansson might be replacing Emily Blunt.

At least she's in talks, although Blunt's people are still trying to make it work. But she's commited to another film that's going to start up soon and there's still no script for IM2--which Gwyneth Paltrow recently confirmed.

The Mike
02-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Eliza Dushku Wants to Be Black Widow!
Apparently hottie-extraordinaire was on Howard Stern recently saying how she should be Black Widow in the upcoming Iron Man sequel. According to ComicBookMovie.com here's the quote:

"They're doing Iron Man 2, and I'm so perfect for the Black Widow character, that they just need to get into it. They need to understand I just learned Russian because I had to play a Russian girl in Dollhouse.

Favreau, I'm afraid she has some good points. Plus we all saw how hot she looked in Jay & Silent Bob with those black tights. God, I love me some Dushku.

tylerdurden
02-15-2009, 09:23 AM
it'll be a real shame if emily blunt can't do black widow. she is smokin hot!!

and i definitely wouldn't complain if they got olga kurylenko instead. that girl is tasty... :monkey5

The Mike
02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Mickey Rourke Not Doing Iron Man 2?
Source:New York Magazine February 18, 2009

Mickey Rourke has told New York Magazine that it's looking like he won't be playing the villain in Iron Man 2:

But so what if ICM's David Unger doesn't look good in a dress — at least he's battling Marvel for a bigger paycheck for Rourke for his rumored role as a villain in Iron Man 2, right? "Right now, we're not doing Iron Man 2," Rourke told us grimly.

In January, the news broke that Marvel had offered the award-winning "Wrestler" star just $250,000 to play a villain in the sequel. Perhaps further negotiations didn't go so well? Also, Rourke is now firmly attached to star in Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables, which starts shooting shortly and might interfere with the Iron Man 2 shoot.

tomandshell
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
It's just such a shame that the first Iron Man did so poorly at the box office. Had it been more successful, Marvel would be free to be a little less stingy in their hiring of the cast for the sequel.

tylerdurden
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
sigh. why does marvel have to such a scrooge mcstingy abt this? 250,000 is small change compared to what they're making off the iron man franchise.

or is this a "cover" story on rourke's side? to hide the fact that negotiations fell thru cos of his unreasonable demands/behavior. the man's been known to be difficult to work with, which is why hollywood cut him off.

just wondering...

Chapter 2099
02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm still in awe that Terrence Howard won't be coming back. :( I know that's old news, but I'm still a little shocked about that one.

Darklord Dave
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
So looks like Marvel signed Sam Jackson to Iron Man 2 with an option for NINE Marvel movies, including a "S.H.E.I.L.D." film.

Bardoon
02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
So looks like Marvel signed Sam Jackson to Iron Man 2 with an option for NINE Marvel movies, including a "S.H.E.I.L.D." film.

Good!!!!

Sam Jackson is Nick Fury (The Ultimate version at least...no "ifs-ands-or-buts" about it!!!!)

Agent0028
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
That's cool news. I like the idea of him being a recurring character in Marvel movies since he is such a central character in the Marvel Universe.

The Mike
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
That almost guarantees him appearing in Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor, The Avengers and I'm sure we'll hear more on the ticket soon, Ant-Man I think is nearing real pre-production with a finished script rumored and greenlit. He'll be the link that ties them all together.

That was probably the issue, Marvel Studios wanted to pay him for one movie while optioning him for nine. SLJ probably wanted concrete paydays. His little scuffle makes sense but I'm still wondering what went down with Mickey Rourke.

tomandshell
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Get Sam in all the Marvel movies--fine with me!

The Mike
02-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Casting News for 'Iron Man 2'
According to Mania, American Gladiator and professional wrestler Matt Morgan spoke up about his role in Iron Man 2:

"I don't want to get myself in trouble," the athlete/entertainer said during the podcast. "I'm also being [cast] in 'Iron Man 2', as obviously a villain. I can't really go into which character I'll be playing yet."

Sounds interesting. I just hope there is no Crimson Dynamo.

And now we've got more casting info according to Spoiler TV:

Iron Man 2 - New Casting Call

[HOT BRUNETTE] Beautiful, sexy and authoritative. Please submit Caucasian actresses ages 25 - 28.

[MONGOLIAN GANGSTER] Various ages.

[FRENCH WAITER] Male, 30's. Must have authentic Monaco accent.

[RUSSIAN GUARDS] Various ages. Must speak fluent Russian.

[MALE] late 40's - mid 50's. Handsome, intelligent and dynamic. Please submit Caucasian actors.

[TECHNICIANS] Smart, capable, 20's. Please submit all ethnicities.

We also heard about a Mongolian thug casting call which is GREAT because that could pave the way for The Mandarin to be in it.

The Mike
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Rourke Says "You Bet Your Ass" To Iron Man 2
Our buds over at IESB.net have got some video of Mickey Rourke out on Madison Ave in NYC. In this video Rourke is asked about Iron Man 2, and his response is "Bet Your Ass!"
Now what can we take away from this? Well it looks like Iron Man 2 is not off the table for Rourke, or he is at least down with the idea. All I know is Mickey Rourke would be a great villain, and I am hoping that he signs on for IM2. Seeing him opposite Downey Jr. would make for some pretty intense moments on film. So would I like to see Rourke in IM2? Bet Your Ass!!!

Chapter 2099
03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Rourke Says "You Bet Your Ass" To Iron Man 2
Our buds over at IESB.net have got some video of Mickey Rourke out on Madison Ave in NYC. In this video Rourke is asked about Iron Man 2, and his response is "Bet Your Ass!"
Now what can we take away from this? Well it looks like Iron Man 2 is not off the table for Rourke, or he is at least down with the idea. All I know is Mickey Rourke would be a great villain, and I am hoping that he signs on for IM2. Seeing him opposite Downey Jr. would make for some pretty intense moments on film. So would I like to see Rourke in IM2? Bet Your Ass!!!

Just to add to Mike's post.

It's official. Rourke has signed on. :rock

Natrix
03-12-2009, 06:24 AM
According to a report on the radio this morning Scarlett Johansson has also signed on as Black Widow.

The Mike
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM
ScarJo & Mickey Rourke Help Raise Iron Curtain
E! Online Thu Mar 12, 2009, 4:33 am EDT

Scarlett Johansson is joining the superhero set.

Her rep confirms that the actress has signed on to play Black Widow in the Iron Man sequel opposite Robert Downey Jr. The deal was signed this afternoon.

"Scarlett is thrilled to be a part of Iron Man," her rep, Marcel Pariseau, tells me.

Meanwhile, after months of negotiations...

The Wrestler's comeback kid, Mickey Rourke, has finally sealed a deal to play villain Whiplash, according to Variety.

Rourke's team had reportedly held out for more money after Marvel's initial offer was just $250,000.

Scheduled for a May 2010 release, part two of the franchise will also include Gwyneth Paltrow returning as Pepper Potts, along with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Don Cheadle playing Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes.

Sick Boy 82
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Mmmmmmm..... ScarJo. ScarJo in skin-tight black leather..... :drool :drool

Darth Snoopy
03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Scarlett as the Black Widow?!? :rock:rock:rock

:rock:drool:drool:rock

ChrisCJ99
03-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I've never seen Rourke in anything. So this should be interesting to see :cool:

Mooncat
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM

rent Angel Heart

Darth Snoopy
03-13-2009, 05:47 PM

rent Angel Heart

Angel Heart tripped me out!

Check out:

Year of the Dragon
Nine 1/2 Weeks
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Man on Fire

hairlesswookiee
03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
with red hair??:monkey5:monkey5

Agent0028
03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Let's just hope her red hair looks better than MJ's in Spider-Man.

IronFingaz
03-14-2009, 06:18 PM

rent Angel Heart

Angel Heart tipped me out!

Check out:

Year of the Dragon
Nine 1/2 Weeks
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Man on Fire

And Sin City :lecture And of course The Wrestler.

tylerdurden
03-14-2009, 11:20 PM
speaking of the wrestler, i'd be MORE than happy if they'd cast marisa tomei as black widow. :monkey5

damn, that woman has aged well. her body is amazing even for someone half her age.

still, scarjo ain't half bad. at least she's hot, unlike kirsten dunst, or gwyneth paltrow. bleh.

emceerice
03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
whats the latest rumor of ss doing more IM movie stuff? I heard rumblings about a 1/4 statue?

Minimodel
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Well it s beginning.Just read Gwyneth Paltrows leaving London on Monday to start shooting her scenes.

Bullseye
03-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I know its probably too late but Olga should have been announced as Black Widow. Check her out in Hitman and QoS.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/olga_kurylenko_1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/olga_kurylenko2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/1106_olga-kurylenko-fhm-0011.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/28ioyrq.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/olga_kurylenko2-1.jpg

ilovefreestufftoo
03-20-2009, 03:41 PM
YEah she should have been BW.

sideshommarvelfreak
03-20-2009, 03:45 PM
i have no words to say so i just do this :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

Adoptedscot
03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I think this can go in with the Iron Man 2 Discussion thread.
x :peace

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/adoptedscot/merged.gif

emceerice
03-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I know its probably too late but Olga should have been announced as Black Widow. Check her out in Hitman and QoS.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/olga_kurylenko_1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/olga_kurylenko2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/1106_olga-kurylenko-fhm-0011.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/28ioyrq.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/olga_kurylenko2-1.jpg

Black Widow indeed. :drool

The Mike
04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Gary Oldman Spotted on Iron Man 2 Lot
April 8, 2009
Gary Oldman was recently spotted on the Los Angeles set of Iron Man 2, and though there's no confirmation as to the role he's tackling, rumor has it he could be Howard Stark, Tony's industrious father. Considering the fact that he's still in the middle of shooting another role in Mexico (the villain in Book of Eli), the role has to be a small one.

The question is, how does DC feel about Oldman jumping to a Marvel property after his turn on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight?

Then again, considering the fact it's bound to be a few years before they're ready to start shooting the third in the series, I'm sure he's free to take on such roles in the interim period.

Also in Iron Man 2 news, IESB reports that Garry Shandling has been added to the cast as Senator Stern.

SOLIDSNAKE
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
new set pics !

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/ironman21.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/ironman22.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/ironman23.jpg

The Mike
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
First Shots of Don Cheadle Replacing Terrence Howard
April 7, 2009

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/04/07/iron-man-cheadle.jpg

SpoilerTV (via Coming Soon) has posted the first shots from the set of Iron Man 2, including Robert Downey Jr. in man-heels, Gwyneth Paltrow in a car, and the above look at Don Cheadle as Rhodey. I was a little nervous about the casting switch being awkward, but now that I've seen how well Cheadle is replicating Rhodey's classic "casual but mystified by cell phones" look, no more worries. He's got it.

http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/ef6a9884ae90d7f9283e412f2205b688.jpg

http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/68ab5b38a6c3700f438da614702ae25a.jpg

Link Iron Man 2 Set Pics (http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2009/04/iron-man-2-first-set-pics-of-downey-jr.html)

The Mike
04-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Love Triangle Plot in 'Iron Man 2' Confirmed
April 08, 2009 03:44:47 GMT

In a recent interview, Robert Downey Jr. has given thumbs up to the rumored 'Iron Man 2' plot of love triangle among Pepper Potts, Tony Stark and Black Widow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Stark will indeed be involved in a love triangle with his assistant Pepper Potts and Russian female fatale Black Widow in "Iron Man 2". Robert Downey Jr., the actor who plays Stark a.k.a. Iron Man in both "Iron Man" and its sequel, has confirmed the matter himself during a recent press junket for "The Soloist".

When asked by MTV News whether he'd be 1/3 of a love triangle in the film, the Academy Award-nominee for "Tropic Thunder" responded simply, "Heck yeah, Wouldn't you?" While making sure that the love triangle plot will play a part in the storyline, the 44-year-old actor didn't elaborate more on how exactly the love triangle will work out in the sequel.

On another "Iron Man 2" update, JFXOnline.com has posted a video taken from the set of the first shooting day. The footage gives a look at director Jon Favreau and some of the key actors, including Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow. Sam Rockwell and Garry Shandling are also spotted on the set video.

"Iron Man 2" has started its principal photography Monday, April 6. Director Jon Favreau is back once again serving as the helmer for the superhero adaptation, while Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow reprise their roles as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Pepper Potts. The two will be joined by Don Cheadle who will take on Colonel James 'Rhodey' Rhodes in place of Terrence Howard, Scarlett Johansson who will portray Black Widow, and Mickey Rourke who has been signed to play a Russian villain character. The film is set to hit U.S. theaters on May 7, 2010.

DinoLast
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
new set pics !

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/ironman21.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/ironman22.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/ironman23.jpg

There is a video of this
Gary Shandling is there for some reason. I'm sure somebody will enlighten me on why.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-anBRqZgtoY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-anBRqZgtoY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Mike
04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Gary Oldman NOT in Iron Man 2, First Look at Garry Shandling as Senator Stern
Posted on Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 at 10:13 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Yesterday we told you that comedian/actor Garry Shandling had been cast in Iron Man 2, either as a reporter or Senator. Shandling responded on Twitter about the internet confussion over his role in the film, saying “I can’t wait to see the movie to see who I actually play.” It turns out that he is playing a character named Senator Stern. Pacific Coast News caught Shandling on set dressed in a shirt and a tie, no wonder he was mistaken for “a reporter”.

Update: Gary Oldman’s Manager has dismissed rumors that the Dark Knight star has been cast in Iron Man 2: “Mr Oldman has not visited the set of Iron Man and there are currently no plans for him to appear in an Iron Man film. I hope this clears up the recent rumors.” [coventrytelegraph]

Sick Boy 82
04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd do a 3-way with Gwen and Scarlett, minus Gwen.

TwoFace
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Go watch Sin City or The Wrestler. :D

The Mike
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Article by dsource
RDJ Gives Updates On 'Iron Man 2'
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub over at Collider was fortunate enough to attend the press day for The Soloist and was able to join a Round Table Discussion with Robert Downey Jr.

He managed to sneak in a few Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes questions and get some great answers from the man himself. Lots of other things were discussed in the time allocated to the group so let’s cut to chase and see what Tony Stark has to say for himself.

This years Comic-Con, are you looking forward to it and is anything special planned?

RDJ: “Goddamn right I am.”

As Steve points out, it was at Comic-Con where Jon Favreau premiered a few minutes of footage and the crowd went absolutely crazy. They proceeded to break the internet as they went to tell their friends and indeed, the world about what they had just seen.

Soo, anything cool planned?
RDJ: “Yes, what do you think?”

That’s all we needed to hear, if you can make it to Comic-Con, make sure you grab a front row seat and let us know what you see!

Is it true that Gary Shandling is playing a Senator? Where does he fit into the story?

RDJ: Day one I’m doing a Senate hearing where the government is saying the Iron Man tech needs to be turned over to the Senator and the Senator is Gary Shandling. And we had this fantastic day that was somehow this controlled chaos of a Senate hearing where I keep interrupting them and dah dah dah.

Tell us about why you are taking Iron Man 2 so seriously and the responsibilities that come with it.

RDJ: And I’ve never been in a sequel and it’s very daunting because I feel the expectation of the millions of people who watched it and enjoyed it and told me that it was a little different than your usual genre picture and that they expected us to not screw it up. So I actually have taken “Iron Man 2” probably more seriously than any movie I’ve ever done, which is appropriately ridiculous for Hollywood.

I’ve added Jon Favreau to my Twitter list and I’m getting some great updates from the set. What does Robert think of his Twittering?

RDJ: Jon is my brother and he is the keeper of the “Iron Man” flame and whatever he wants to do, within reason, to keep his anxieties at bay is absolutely fine with me.

Has the suit been improved from the first film?

RDJ: Everything has been improved. Everything is ergonomic and the story is incredibly risky and artistic for a big genre movie.

In which way risky?

RDJ: The set pieces have to do with things that aren’t your typical like bad guy conflict. The relationships are very complex and hilarious. The motivations Tony has and why he turns around and does things has completely to do with his own internal processes and it really is, I think, as much as we tried to in the first one really see behind the façade of this kind of storytelling. We really, I think, leaving ourselves open to…we’re kind of trying to tell a story about how a dysfunctional family saves life on Earth as we know it.

For this film you have Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell. You have an insane cast.

RDJ: It’s huge.

Could you talk about working with Mickey?

RDJ: I could if we shot together. I’ve seen his stuff and it is literally remarkable. Literally remarkable. He’s so good. And he’s formidable and he’s very much reminding me of that kind of charming, confident guy that we know. Sam Rockwell, on the first day of shooting I was like “if this guy thinks he’s going to be funnier and cooler than me (laughter) and it was a photo-finish. Scarlett Johansson, amazing. Don Cheadle is just rocking it.

On how does his career feel nowadays with the “Iron Man 2” shooting and “The Soloist” coming out…

RDJ: And “Sherlock” in the can. Don’t even get me started on “Sherlock Holmes”. I might have a double-franchise by three days after Christmas.

Robert was asked about how he prepares for his roles and does he consume himself. He gave a pretty long answer and he also might have told Steve and the table the running time for “Sherlock Holmes”.

RDJ: And then I went and did “Sherlock Holmes” which was technically really difficult and period, but I am kicking ass for 2-1/2 hours and all this stuff I’ve been learning for five years suddenly I’m like co-choreographing with these veteran stunt guys and bad-asses. And I’m in there having this just meat eating, man slaughtering competition with these guys and then at the same time playing a very reserved Brit and that to me was a massive education.

Two and a half hours? Sounds good to me! Even if it comes in under that, Holmes is one film I’m really looking forward to. Steve will be posting the entire transcript later in the week so keep an eye out for it and what else RDJ has to say!

Kratos
04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd do a 3-way with Gwen and Scarlett, minus Gwen.

:lol
Me too
:monkey3

jnmx2000
04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
has it been confirmed that Whiplash is the tech baddie in this one? i'm kind of disappointed that it's not crimson dynamo, I'd much rather see him in the movie than whiplash, in fact, there's plenty of Iron man villains i'd rather see than whiplash.

averone
04-21-2009, 08:04 PM
has it been confirmed that Whiplash is the tech baddie in this one? i'm kind of disappointed that it's not crimson dynamo, I'd much rather see him in the movie than whiplash, in fact, there's plenty of Iron man villains i'd rather see than whiplash.

Whiplash!!

Are you kidding me?

jnmx2000
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Whiplash!!

Are you kidding me?

lol sorry, no, i'm not. Rourke is supposed to play whiplash from what i've heard. it was originally rumored it was dynamo, but other reports have all signs pointing to whiplash, and I think there was one official announcement that said Rourke was casted AS whiplash. but I never heard anything past that.

The Mike
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
While Whiplash isn't the first Iron Man villian that comes to mind, he is a classic villain and if you look at the conceptual sketches for the new animated Iron Man cartoon, it a possibility that we won't get something that look like this:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/c/cd/Whiplash_(Mark_Scarlotti)_003.jpg/200px-Whiplash_(Mark_Scarlotti)_003.jpg

and something that looks more like the conceptuals:

http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03a/whiplash.jpg

jnmx2000
04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
this is another rumor I heard, that they are actually combining the characters of whiplash and dynamo. where the villain starts off as whiplash and then upgrades his armor to the tech heavy dynamo sort of like how stark upgraded his armor though out the first iron man movie.

The Mike
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I read something similar but not that it'd be Crimson Dynamo but that Whiplash realizes that he can't beat Iron Man so he goes to Hammer for a suit who happily provides. So that there'd be two different versions of Whiplash, the human version and the in the suit version. That'd definitely tie into the conceptuals above.

jnmx2000
04-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I read something similar but not that it'd be Crimson Dynamo but that Whiplash realizes that he can't beat Iron Man so he goes to Hammer for a suit who happily provides. So that there'd be two different versions of Whiplash, the human version and the in the suit version. That'd definitely tie into the conceptuals above.

I actually like the way this sounds, about having the character evolve through out the movie, I think this could be really cool if they do it this way.

The Mike
04-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Kate Mara And Clark Gregg Have Joined Iron Man 2
by Outsiders in Marvel at 08:43 PM on 2009.04.23

Kate Mara and Clark Gregg have joined Marvel's "Iron Man 2," being directed by Jon Favreau and currently shooting in Manhattan Beach, Calif.

Mara's role is being kept under wraps.

Gregg is returning as Agent Phil Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

For those who don't know Kate Mara is this beauty here:

http://www.intentionalfoul.com/images/katemara.jpg

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/rb/kate-mara-naked-0309.JPG

She was in the Disney superhero flick "Zoom".

Natrix
04-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Kate Mara And Clark Gregg Have Joined Iron Man 2
by Outsiders in Marvel at 08:43 PM on 2009.04.23

Kate Mara and Clark Gregg have joined Marvel's "Iron Man 2," being directed by Jon Favreau and currently shooting in Manhattan Beach, Calif.

Mara's role is being kept under wraps.

Gregg is returning as Agent Phil Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

For those who don't know Kate Mara is this beauty here:

http://www.intentionalfoul.com/images/katemara.jpg

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/rb/kate-mara-naked-0309.JPG

She was in the Disney superhero flick "Zoom".

I wonder if she would be Maria Hill?

xfsista
04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
First official picture from Iron Man 2 via USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-04-30-first-look-ironman2_N.htm?csp=34):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/xfsista/rdj/iron_man_2/ironman2.jpg

First look: 'Iron Man 2' explores the unmasked life
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
Tony Stark is out of the superhero closet, and it's no picnic.

The sequel to last summer's blockbuster, which began shooting three weeks ago and opens May 7, 2010, takes place six months after Stark revealed his identity as Iron Man, says director Jon Favreau. And the development is playing out with unexpected results. "How many superheroes are open about their true identities?" he asks. "We wanted to play with that idea. But it obviously has consequences — in his relationships, on the team. There are a lot of areas we can explore."

He hopes to have all other Iron Man 2 details locked down — even though he's sending dispatches via Twitter from the set. "It's never easy with summer movies, but we're trying to keep as much a surprise as possible," he says.

That means no new dirt on replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle, or how the crime-fighting team S.H.I.E.L.D. will ultimately come together. Or how he'll work in new characters. Among those signed on for this go-round are Mickey Rourke as Whiplash, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer.

Favreau says that tackling the franchise a second time is easier because he knows the landscape. Something else would help, too: "I really enjoyed when we were a dark horse and no one knew much about us. ... I hope we can find that place again."

Agent0028
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Looks like IM2 is going to have some seriously good looking ladies in it.

Buttmunch
04-30-2009, 08:41 PM
I guess Tony got the Mark I back from Obi then? Otherwise that one should have been missing.

The Mike
04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
It was at Stark Industries, remember Pepper looked at it and said "I thought it would be bigger" and then Iron Monger popped out behind her.

I see the BD from the last showdown there although the helmet is wrong since Obi smashed it. Another Mark 3 is interesting since Downey admitted that they are tweaking that suit visually so we see the beginnings of the Armory right there.

and if the Mark 2 is on the wall untouched something tells me that isn't the base suit for War Machine either.

Hydeous
05-01-2009, 12:09 AM
That's not the mark 1.

Waddaya know, its the mark 3 Silly Thing!!

Those silly thing mark 3 is going to soar up in prices. Better cop asap before Ironman 2 hit the theatres! :D

plasmid303
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I guess Tony got the Mark I back from Obi then? Otherwise that one should have been missing.

It was at Stark Industries, remember Pepper looked at it and said "I thought it would be bigger" and then Iron Monger popped out behind her.

I see the BD from the last showdown there although the helmet is wrong since Obi smashed it. Another Mark 3 is interesting since Downey admitted that they are tweaking that suit visually so we see the beginnings of the Armory right there.

and if the Mark 2 is on the wall untouched something tells me that isn't the base suit for War Machine either.

Remember when Obi first activated the Monger and chased after Pepper? You can see him crash into the Mark I suit, busting it up pretty bad. I think it could have been possible for Tony to have put it back together though.

Judging from the image, the damaged suit in the line-up behind Tony has an undamaged helmet sitting on top of it. Do you think it's just a replacement helmet? I mean, surely Tony wouldn't want a crushed helmet to go with his wall of Iron Man suits.

Tony is rich enough that he doesn't have to use the Mark 2 as a base suit. He'd just take the designs for the Mark II/III and build a custom made War Machine suit.

The Mike
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I was pointing that out because some people swear that the War Machine suit would just be the Mark 2 decked out, it will obviously not be the case.

villainsfan42
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/xfsista/rdj/iron_man_2/ironman2.jpg

as awesome as it is, this pic makes no sense:

why would the suits in the background have lit arc reactors?
the arc reactor is stark himself, not the suits...somethings wrong...:confused:

The Mike
05-02-2009, 02:42 PM
They aren't active suits, its just wall deco. He has some of the most advanced tech including holographic displays and he can't stick a puck light in there so it'll glow while on display? :lol

Also the Arc is different, that isn't the 2.0, it has an additional circular portion in the middle.

vodoun
05-02-2009, 03:06 PM
No Apple Cinema Displays. Booo!