Check out this cave troll!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like they not only borrowed the SSW CT hammer but incorporated the bust into the overall sculpt, that's clever. The face is identical as are the shoulder positions.

Damn, that is sweet! That would be amazing to have all of Sideshow 1:6 figures displayed with that.

Seen this in the past on ebay, but there was no base.looks good.

Love it but what would the cost be in taking a rotocast CT from toybiz and using hydrospan. Could this actually get made for 200 or less? I would like to see if we could something together.

It looks like they not only borrowed the SSW CT hammer but incorporated the bust into the overall sculpt, that's clever. The face is identical as are the shoulder positions.

The description says that the sculptor worked for weta as a freelancer and was involved in the LOTR movies. If that's true that would explain the likeness..I have to agree it is to much money but sure would look cool..

Were the Cave Trolls fingers really like that in the film?

Yup, exactly. In the DVD extras it even explains that they made it that way so that they would be functional "shovels" if you will, with which the troll could dig into the caves for food and shelter. It's actually an amazing detail in design that only adds to its incredible realism. I've gone over the statue a few times and haven't found a single flaw. It's absolutely incredible.

Yup, exactly. In the DVD extras it even explains that they made it that way so that they would be functional "shovels" if you will, with which the troll could dig into the caves for food and shelter. It's actually an amazing detail in design that only adds to its incredible realism. I've gone over the statue a few times and haven't found a single flaw. It's absolutely incredible.

Yup it sure is a great statue
But who here thinks its better than the Original Weta Statue?

I do. Not because of the size, but because of the detail that the size can support. Yeah the pose isn't as dynamic, but it doesn't have to be. The sheer intricacy and magnificence of every item trumps the SSW version in almost every regard. But I don't think it's a fair comparison; this is a one-of-a-kind replica hand made with every possible reference available to them; the SSW is a much smaller, mass-produced item without the size to support such minute details. You can't really compare them in a just way.

The description says that the sculptor worked for weta as a freelancer and was involved in the LOTR movies. If that's true that would explain the likeness..I have to agree it is to much money but sure would look cool..

Yeah, but it isn't only likeness; they actually incorporated the bust into the sculpture - probably sculpted the body around it.

It does look great.

I have a question/comment. I had always thought the Sideshow*Weta piece was 1/6 scale. Here's my reasoning. The solo cave troll hammer does explicitly say 1/6 scale on the packaging, although the cave troll figure does not. However, the two hammers are exactly the same size, i.e. in scale with each other. By the zeroth law of thermodynamics :D the figure is thus also in 1/6 scale.

I dont think it is as large as the one depicted here though. But, maybe it would get close to two feet in a standing pose, and with the elevated base? :confused:

Back