whats your 1 favourite book!?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

big al

Pther than LOTR what is your favourite book and also the last book you read?
My favourite has to be The stand by Steven King, amazing, but a very long read, so dont expect to finish it in a weekend!
Also love 'I am Legend' By richard matheson, great sci fi writer from the 50/60's did a lot of twilight zone idea's, this book is wha the omega man and the last man on earth are based on!
Also love tales from a bounty hunter (hte star wwars books, theres also tales from the cantina and lots of others) This one's great as it givces you insights into characters you see for about 20 seconds in empire in the star destroyer.
the last one was ian banks, the wasp factory, had this for x mas, and its a great book, very dark, but some dark humour in there too.
Currently reading sean astins autobio, but its not very good!
any opinions?
:p

sounds lame but the tony hawk autobiography is awesome and my fav book part from lotr, ive read it like 10 times. Chairman of the Board its called.

Oh, this is a hard one because LOTR is my favorite book. However I very much like to read the Babylon 5 novels and especially the trilogy about the Techno-Mages by Jeanne Cavelos. I find the whole Babylon 5 world greatly enriched with Tolkien-like story lines. I've been busy so I haven't read anything lately but the last thing I read was some short stories by H. P. Lovecraft. I love the way he paints such strange and bizarre images.
I liked 'I am Legend' as well. Richard Matheson is one of my favorites along with Harlan Ellison.
:eowyn

I honestly can not nail this one down, I read about two to three at a time.....no way I could choose just one..

Great thread Al. And The Stands a great choice, altho much like Azog it's so hard to choose. I will say Wicked: The Life & Time of the Wicked Wicth of the West, but I have been reading and re-reading The Tao of Pooh for awhile and if I ever decide to put it down it will def make the short list

Whatever I'm reading at the time I guess. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is the best thing I've read recently though. Just an incredibly entertaining book.

Either of the two Tony Hawks books. Is it Hawks or Hawk? Not the skater guy, the british comedian. Or anything Terry Pratchett. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton is great too, or was when I read it last a few years ago, as well as The Lost World.

I am currently reading His Dark Materials in time for the cinema release!!

I am in same situation with Azog. I'm an avid reader of all genre. But other than LOTR, there have very few books I consider "favorite" enough to go back and read more than once.

Other than LOTR what is your favourite book and also the last book you read?

Well Big Al, I would have to say The Hobbit! :lol

As for the last book I read... LOTR! :lol :rollin

Now if you meant "other than Tolkien", then it would be the White Gold series by Stephen R. Donaldson... maybe! That is a very tough question, and it would probably change every-time someone asked me. :bonk

A song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. Rereading it now. The fourth book has been delayed forever, hoping it's out soon.

I'm hanging with Naugladur on this one: George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" is just a monument to the genre.

I just finished "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell." Can't think of the author's name. It's very entertaining. She even created this thousand-year-old history of English magic, which serves as the backbone to the story.

Getting ready to conquer the entire "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King, now. Hold the search parties, if you don't hear frome me for a while.

I'll second the recommendation for "Strange & Norrell" a very different type of fantasy novel.

Mmmmm, probably "From Here to Eternity". In my opinion this is the great American novel.
If It were judged by the number of times I've read the book though it would be "The Great Gatsby". I've read it more than a dozen times now I think, and still haven't found what I'm looking for in it. Hard to explain.
Last book I read was actually two simultaneously, "The Bloody Red Baron" and "Anno Dracula, 1959". I didn't enjoy either as much as "Blood Reign"(Anno Dracula), but they were fairly entertaining trash, my favorite form of literature these days.
I just thought I'd mention the author of this series is Kim Newman and I think some folks here would enjoy these.

Favourite? Probably The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, a book (or more accurately a series of books) that I can just pick up and read pretty much anytime and still get the same kick out of as I did the first time.

I'm also a huge fan of anything Clive Barker does, King's The Stand and Matheson's I Am Legend are both fantastic choices too, as is anything Philip K. Dick. Love Poe and Lovecraft too.

Severen.

This is easy for me superficially, but also fun!

The Lord of the Rings is definitely not my favourite of JRR Tolkien's works. My personal favourite is The Silmarillion (which is why I love the balrog statue so much) and then it is The Lord of the Rings and then either Farmer Giles of Ham or The Hobbit... but:

1. The Bible
2. The Silmarillion
3. Stargate
4. The Lord of the Rings (single volume).

I keep this list short and concise because I know those 4 different titles jump to the forefront of my memory, however I also like The Chronicles of Narnia, with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair being my favourites.

Back