Are prices "negotiable" at Best Buy or Circuit Cit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hulkfan

Are prices "negotiable" at Best Buy or Circuit Cit

Hey all, just curious... When buying high-end items at BB or CC (such as a TV), is there any room for bartering? Seems like I've heard that you can.... :dunno

Re: Are prices "negotiable" at Best Buy or Circuit

Hey, hulkfan, I've never heard that but it's worth a try! I'd like to know because I need a new TV! :wave

I say give it a go Andy. You might get lucky and catch a manager in a good mood. I have done this in places like Walmart but never Best Buy. Seems like I did try it at Circuit City a long time back but had no luck.

They do price matching. If you can find an ad ANYWHERE that beats the price of what they've got, they'll honor it.

orjust say youve seen it at another price elsewhere...doesnt hurt to try!

I have seen them do it at Circuit City, especially for items like the display tv's and close out models.

I know at Best Buy.. If you see an Item you bought for cheaper elsewhere.. They will refund you the difference.. I had a friend who bought a 1200 dollar digital camera there.. Found it a few weeks later for 7999.. and they refunded her 500 bones..

was this a joke...?

No I don't think so. Not sure what Andy has in mind. In many retail stores, you can speak with a manager and sometimes 'negotiate' for a lower price on items.

i've NEVER heard of bargaining with a retail giant like that... maybe a small shop, but thosea re few and far between, and they can't afford to sell the items at such a low price...

In some cases you can get a discount at these places. I was looking for a Home Theatre system, both Best Buy and Circuit City had the same item for $499. The salesperson at Circuit City told me he would discount it, talked to his manager, then sold it to me for $450.00. It doesen't hurt to shop around and mention the competition to your salesperson. This kind of discount probably would only work on high ticket items though.

In my experience, yes.

I've had success at price matching and negotiating down at Best Buy and PC Richards. Always be forearmed with what the competition is selling.

In lieu of a discount, I've also been successful in negotiating free cables and other accessories.

Edit: This might not be the best week to attempt it. You may want to wait after this Sunday...

I've never had luck with it at Best Buy, but I do remember the good old days of never paying sticker for electronics. But with the huge chains now, I don't think that applies any more.

Hmmmm.... Well, I suppose it's worth a try. If all else fails, I can always rely on my remarkable good-looks to win 'em over.

;)

Offer to sculpt the salesperson a sexy lady - maybe he'll give you a price break?

i can see them price matching, as they want your business... Circuit City has the price match plus some percentage off... but i can't see going in there and trying to negotiate on a TV that they already have for cheaper than somewhere else...

for those that have, i bet you guys are great to have along on a new car sale... :D

Ok, new question.... When it comes to price-matching, will they match the price of an online-only store, or only actual dept. stores??

i think it has to be an advertised price...

so maybe printing out what the website's selling price would get you the match... they do have some disclaimers and such, so you should read their policy on their site...

Brick and mortar stores usually don't price-match online stores, even if they are affiliated, i.e., Best Buy B&M/Best Buy online.

Specifically, this is what I've been able to do:

PC Richards, NJ: Replaced an aging component stereo system with a modern home theater set-up —*new receiver, DVD player, CD player, Surround Sound speakers, etc., and negotiated 15% off the total purchase price plus, a free turntable, component and digital optical cables.

Best Buy, NJ: Replaced my aging 27" Sony with a 36" WEGA, got the extended warrantee thrown in.

Best Buy, FL: Bought my Mom a new 12" TV for her kitchen. She doesn't have a cable connection, I got a free pair of rabbit ears.

Know the best price, make them work to sell you and, be prepared to walk away.

Good luck!

Back