Supermax: Green Arrow Movie Script by David Goyer!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grange Wallis

Super Freak
Reaction score
Heads up Everyone!
David Goyer co-wrote another Superhero movie?! I remember back in the day when I first read his Batman Begins and the immense joy I had in reading that so now when I hear his name attached to another superhero themed screenplay, it’s a must read for sure.

In Hollywood reading circles, SUPER MAX has been making a lot of noise and I was lucky enough to take a quick peek this past weekend. So what is known so far about the project?

Here is what David Goyer told Wizard Magazine when they first broke the story a little over a year ago…

“He’s Green Arrow for the first 10 minutes of the movie, and then he’s arrested and his secret identity is revealed. They shave his goatee and they take his costume and send him to prison for life, and he has to escape. It’s like ‘Alcatraz,’ and he has to team up with, in some cases, some of the very same villains he is responsible for incarcerating in order to get out and clear his name. Of course, tons of people try to kill him while he’s in there. We’ve populated the prison with all sorts of B and C villains from the DC Universe. For the fans, there will be all sorts of characters the hardcore comic book junkies will know, but they’re all going to be there under their human names and no one is wearing a costume, but there will be a lot of characters with powers and things like that.”

More Info here:
https://latinoreview.com/news/supermax-green-arrow-story-details-villains-inmates-gallery-4673

A little spoiler-ish... But it sounds like a great movie/storyline

It is old news from about a year ago. I don't know why it was reposted as new news on the site you linked to maybe for some new script details.

Goyer to Tackle a "Green Arrow" Movie?
Posted by Scott Weinberg on Monday, Apr. 09, 2007, 01:27 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "Lots of us were pretty disappointed when we heard that writer/director David Goyer was leaving the "Flash" project, but now he seems to have snagged an even juicier assignment: A DC Comics-inspired piece that will feature Green Arrow, a "Super Max" prison, and a whole bunch of comic book villains!

Escape from Alcatraz (1979)
Escape from Alcatraz (1979)
• Posters
• News
• About
• Forum

Now this sounds like a pretty cool idea: Green Arrow gets sent to a prison stuffed with DC villains, several of whom he helped to apprehend. To hear Mr. Goyer describe the project, it sounds like a potentially hard-edged prison thriller / action movie, only infused with that wonderful air of comic book geekiness:

"He’s Green Arrow for the first 10 minutes of the movie, and then he’s arrested and his secret identity is revealed ... They shave his goatee and they take his costume and send him to prison for life, and he has to escape. ... We’ve populated the prison with all sorts of B and C villains from the DC Universe."

Sorry but I think that sounds pretty darn cool. And yes, I actually did own a bunch of Green Arrow comic books when I was a kid. (Green Arrow AND Green Lantern, strangely enough.) Apparently there are also some plans to do a graphic novel tie-in with the "Super Max" movie. It'll be a Warner Bros. project, and Goyer is presently working with screenwriter Justin Marx to get the script finished.

And maybe maybe Goyer is monkeying around with some well-established characters, but we're talking about the guy who wrote "Dark City," "Blade" and "Batman Begins," so I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt on this one. Plus, c'mon: Disgraced superheroes and angry supervillains duking it out in a super-maximum security prison?? I wanna see that movie.

Source: WizardUniverse.com

Last edited:
Goyer has written a lot Superhero treatments that have been shelved. He wrote The Flash as well but nothing has happened with it.

"Super Max" Easter Eggs Include Joker

Source: MTV

The upcoming movie, Super Max, is apparently the next place The Dark Knight's psychotic villain Joker will show up, but in name only.

David Goyer, writer for The Dark Knight, states, "His name is a throwaway. He’s on a cell…You don’t actually see him, just his name on a cell. It’s a real Easter Egg. That’s one cross-pollination we would stay away from [doing more with].”

The film, which revolves around Green Arrow's incarceration and subsequent escape from prison, allegedly will have villains from all over the DC Universe, featuring “Superman villains, Green Lantern villains, and Wonder Woman villains,” according to Goyer.

“I know Warner Brothers is having a big rethink about how they approach all their DC films and they’ve been taking a lot of meanings recently about it. And this is a script they like a lot because there are all sorts of characters in this prison. They like that idea,” Goyer said. “We’re fairly hopeful they’ll want to move forward in the next year or so.”

“The Tattoo Man is in there which seemed like a no brainer if you’re doing a movie about a super prison — having a character with super tattoos,” Goyer said. “Amanda Waller’s in there as well from the Suicide Squad. Those are probably the two I like the most, absent Green Arrow.”

I'm personally curious to see how Super Max will play out. This could either be really good…or really bad. It seems as though it's been kept pretty quiet thus far, so either they're going to sneak it out quietly, or there will be a huge and sudden hype about it out of nowhere. With the potential supervillains they have in the prison, hopefully we'll at least get to see some sweet special effects on the characters. We'll see…

Green Arrow script hits target with studio chiefs
Jul 30, 08 11:52 PM

A NEW movie about DC's comicbook archer Green Arrow has hit bull's-eye with Warner Brothers, according to writer David Goyer.

Goyer and co-writer Justin Marks have been working on the story for Green Arrow: Escape from Supermax, a brilliantly fresh idea for a superhero movie that sees the character framed and incarcerated in a special prison for supervillains.

Goyer revealed that he had the idea of a hero locked up with a gallery of archfoes before he decided which costumed crimefighter would be used in the story.

After the success of Marvel's Iron Man blockbuster, studio bosses at Warner have cottoned on to the idea that less well-known comicbook characters can be a success with a well-written, well-made movie.

As Iron Man proved, it's not just the iconic superheroes who suit the big screen - with great casting, excellent storytelling and solid film-making (and some contemporary themes to hit the human heart of the audience), the 'second tier' heroes can also blast off at the box office.

Goyer told SCI FI Wire at the Comic-Con event in San Diego: "The studio really likes the script. Green Arrow seems to be one of the characters in the wake of this phenomenal summer book-ended by Iron Man and The Dark Knight [for which Goyer received a story credit]. I know that for Warner Brothers, Green Arrow is one of the characters that they're really interested in and seem to be interested in moving forward with next."

"It started out as a supervillain-escape story and the idea was we could either go Marvel or DC. I talked to both of them and said, 'Well, who can you give me?' Because I needed a superhero. For my money, if we went Marvel, it would be Captain America. If we went DC, maybe Green Arrow. And Green Arrow seemed like the best fit."

"Green Arrow is, you know, probably on the same level as Iron Man," Goyer said. "And, when a movie like Iron Man does $300 million, and DC and Warner Brothers realise 'Wow, we've got 20 of these kinds of characters.....'

He added: "It's an interesting twist, though, because Super Max didn't start out as a Green Arrow project."

Green Arrow is a billionaire businessman called Oliver Queen. Forced to learn incredible bowmanship in order to survive being marooned on a desert island, he becomes a masked vigilante when he returns to society.

The character has had some exposure in the Smallville TV series, with Justin Hartley in the part. In this week's episode of Smallville in the UK, called Siren, we were introduced to the fishnet-wearing comicbook character Black Canary, alias Dinah Lance, who has a sonic-scream power and martial arts skills. The character, who is Arrow's romantic interest in the comics (see image above right), joined his league of heroes in the TV show and will return in the premiere of Season 8.

I heard that they may put Captain Nazi in the film...if they did, and they used this costume, I think I'd die...

captain_nazi2.jpg

I'll give them permission to use my Hauptmann Ubermensch design...as long as they used it...

I heard that they may put Captain Nazi in the film...if they did, and they used this costume, I think I'd die...

captain_nazi2.jpg

I'll give them permission to use my Hauptmann Ubermensch design...as long as they used it...

I thought there were no superhero/villain costumes at all?

Justin Marks Talks Green Arrow, He-Man
Source: MTV
August 15, 2008

MTV posted an interview with screenwriter Justin Marks this week that was split up in a few parts on their sites. You can check out his quotes on the tentatively-titled Green Arrow: Escape From Super Max here. In it, he says the following:

"It's a very, very awesome prison. I majored in architecture in college, and design is how I actually started in. For 'Super Max,' designing that prison, it had to be the kind of thing that was a character in and of itself," Marks said. "We're in a world where instead of just trying to contain a guy who's really big, you're trying to contain a guy who can — in the case of Icicle — who can freeze things. What kind of a cell would a guy like that need in order to have his powers neutralized? So to escape from Super Max they have got to go through the most elaborate heist we've ever seen, involving superpowers. Because the prison itself kind of has superpowers!"

He adds in this part that Black Canary won't be making an appearance in the film, that will include cameos from the Riddler, Lex Luthor and the Joker.

Marks also talked about his upcoming He-Man adaptation here, where you'll find the following quote:

"The script is very true to the characters — we're not talking about putting nipples on the Trapjaw suit. But we had to come up with a reason again why Trapjaw would actually not just be something that's totally absurd, but why he would need those bionic parts added to him," Marks insisted. "Which gives a sort of sense of where [the movie] is going in some way."

Stay tuned for more on these two projects as news comes in.

I think Goyer is a rather pedestrian writer. And that's when he's at his best (BATMAN BEGINS). At his worst (BLADE: TRINITY) he's downright horrible.

Back