PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Gotham Knight

Ven
05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
not sure if anyone has started a thread about this, if so then I'm sorry.

but anyone excited about this? I'm so looking foward to this....

6 interlocking films from different art directors all leading to TDK, This is going to be awesome..

Looking foward to the Madhouse productions one, ala Vampire Hunter D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5H2-iOsUY

The Chaver
05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah I heard this was coming out.I can't wait to get a better look at it.

UTtoyfan
05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman = AWESOME!!!!

Darth Caedus
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture ^^^^ Bale, CONROY is my batman

Ven
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Conroy is the ^^^^ing man.. I grew up watching him.. don't mind me guys, I'm a 90's kid.. hahah!!

Ven
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm glad they're doing this because this should fill the pot holes left from BB and TDK.

Bat Eater
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Conroy as batman :monkey5 YES!!!! cant wait!! 90's batman kicked ass!!! this is my first anime :monkey3

hairlesswookiee
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
yes!!! i believe its scheduled for a july 6 release. i know the blu ray version is listed on hidefdigest for that day. i will be getting this!!

plasmid303
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Conroy for the win! No offense to Bale, he would have been a more than serviceable voice actor for this project (watching Howl's Moving Castle proves just that), but Conroy is Animated Batman, period.

SOLIDSNAKE
05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
OHH yeaaa I cant wait to get this on BLUE RAY !!
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/batmanknight.jpg

check the official website.

http://www.warnervideo.com/batmangothamknight/

thats going to kick ass.

CONROY is the man. I got all the seasons on dvd of the animated series even batman behond.

Malice
05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
That Looks Tight!!!!!!

King Darkness
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I will pick it up on BD, I'm sure it will kick ass.

Malice
05-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Those anyone have any batman statues and if so what do you recommend? I've seen the one Gentle Giant did but i know there has to be a better batman statue out there....

Natrix
05-20-2008, 06:43 AM
There is another thread but it has been dead for awhile.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29872&highlight=batman+gotham+knight

bagelsncheesey
05-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Yep, i'll be picking this one up on Blu. :rock

SOLIDSNAKE
07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
guys just watched it !

was good.

amazing art work but it was kind of short and it jumped arround.
The last story was the best.

It looked amazing on 1080p HD
kevin conroy is the MAN !!

A must have for you batman fans

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/batmanknight.jpg

TheObsoleteMan
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
It was decent with some really nice art, but Kevin Conroy was disappointing. He definitely phoned this one in.

IrishJedi
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I watched it tonight. Meh. Out of the 6 mini-films, I really only liked 2 or 3 of them.

IMHO, the classic Dini/Timm episodes on the Bonus Disc blow it away... especially the "Legend of The Dark Knight" episode with the kids recollecting their experiences with Batman. It was done SO much better than the new version in GOTHAM KNIGHT.

DarkArtist81
07-08-2008, 08:27 PM
The best parts were the second one and the last... Crossfire (the 2nd) made Batman into a force of nature.. which I enjoyed a lot. The last was animated by one of my favorite directors and didn't disappoint either, loved the style he brought to Batman. But the others were just ok at best. But still worth it.

The classic cartoons on the 2nd disc were awesome as well, I LOVED that series. :rock2

Darth Caedus
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Going to download it tonight and watch it tomorrow. Hope I like it.

artistrex
07-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I watched it a couple of days ago, The first story was kinda weak, but the rest are awesome, Conroy is back in all his glory. I love the way he even captures a younger Bruce Wayne. A worthy companion to the two movies

fett1
07-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Kevin Conroy is a fantastic voice over Batman and he really gives the character a sense of realism...............Cant Wait !!:D:D:D

Buttmunch
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Just finished watching it. It was OK. It was Batman afterall. But I'm just not a big Anime fan so that may be part of the problem.

DarkArtist81
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Just finished watching it. It was OK. It was Batman afterall. But I'm just not a big Anime fan so that may be part of the problem.

I can understand what you mean, to enjoy this DVD to it's fullest.. you really have to like Anime.

Vader AL
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
man the reviews are ALL OVER the place. I have no idea whether to pick it up or not....probably will though.

UTtoyfan
07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I can understand what you mean, to enjoy this DVD to it's fullest.. you really have to like Anime.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from Buttmunch. It's funny too since I AM Asian and all my Asian friends single me out for not watching a lot of anime. I do enjoy some shows like Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, and Yu-gi-oh some. But what I really love are the anime movies from Hayao Miyazaki, and another particular anime movie called "Grave of the Fireflies".
Otherwise, most anime doesn't enthrall me too much. I'll give it a chance if it's a movie though:lol

With that said, I do want to watch Gotham Knight and I have it already shipping to me from Amazon. It's Batman so it can't be that bad! :)

Ven
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
me too I'm not a huge fan of anime but I thought this rocked!! I loved the madhouse production film at then end.

scubasteve
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I might be interested. How does this connect to the films? Does it have Joker or Scarecrow or Dent?

Les Walker
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Not a huge Anime fan either, but the quality of the work is outstanding regardless. Very stylish and very cool stuff. I recommend it for the two disc set, and the extras. The doc on the villains and the one on Bob Kane are really nicely done.

Agent0028
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Hmm, I was hoping there would be a consensus on whether this is any good or not. I suppose I'll have to pick it up and decide for myself.

bagelsncheesey
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Fantastic movie. The anime is outstanding, and the amount of blood and violence is definitely what I was looking for. It really has a feel like a lot of the comics do. Looks amazing on Blu. :rock

Darth Rage
07-09-2008, 05:49 PM
This actually put me to sleep. I guess I'll watch the last two bits eventually. I can't express how truly disappointed I am in this. It was like a bunch of ham fisted morality tales. I hope the last two stories are better. Scarecrow was pretty cool...creepy.

The whole EMP bullet deflecting thing? What the hell was that crap?

darkknight
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Picked mines up at suncoast last night on Bluray. My very first Bluray, didnt watch it yet. Need to pick up a HDMI cable for my PS3. Plus I got a free Gotham Knight poster with my copy.

Darth Caedus
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Just finished it and I liked it a lot more then I thought I was going to. The short with the EMP thing was a little off and it was weird hearing Kevin Conroy's voice come out of a character that is drawn like that.

DId anyone notice that in THROUGH THE PAIN, one of the voices of the punk kids was Will Friedi (the voice of Terry McGinnis on Batman Beyond)

bagelsncheesey
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
DId anyone notice that in THROUGH THE PAIN, one of the voices of the punk kids was Will Friedi (the voice of Terry McGinnis on Batman Beyond)

Wow, didn't notice that myself.

I loved every short. They were all well done. And for [eople asking about the EMP (as in what the hell), I mean, so what? It's friggin Batman. If you think the Tumbler is ok, than surely you'd think that EMP is ok....

Odowankenobi
07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I enjoyed it a lot. Of course the highlight was hearing Conroy as Batman again, even if his voice didn't sound quite right coming out of a couple of the Batmans due to animation style. My favorite was "Working Through The Pain" as well. I would place the one with Scarecrow and Croc as second.

plasmid303
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Saw it at the AX2008 screening. The audience loved it, applauded whenever Batman showed up in each of the shorts. I thought it was alright, some were obviously better than others.

I just don't think it fits in well with Nolan's world, which was especially disappointing because it was marketed as something that would supposedly bridge the gap between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Gotham Knight did NOT.

Kevin Conroy is always great, but like some others have mentioned, his voice seemed out of place with some of the Batman and Bruce Wayne incarnations.

The best thing I got from the Gotham Knight screening was a cool little flashlight keychain with the movie logo on it.

Darth Caedus
07-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Yea, did it really bridge any gap between the films. Almost seemed like the six stories didn't quite fit in with the films.

Agent0028
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I just finished watching it and enjoyed it. I think it's a pretty good stand alone Batman "movie". There isn't anything I can see connecting it to Batman Begin and the only way I can see it being connected to Dark Knight is if the Russians are after him in the movie, like maybe that is who Joker is working with or something. Don't know if that's really a spoiler but I figure better safe than sorry. So I hope having to click that button to see this doesn't annoy anyone.

Darklord Dave
07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Just saw it and probably will never watch it again. It didn't feel like the Nolan Batman and certainly wasn't the Dini/Timm Batman. I guess I can admire the stylistic rendering in some of the episodes, but overall the stories didn't really grab me. Seemed to be just action for action's sake. I guess Through the Pain was really the only one that I liked, since it did deal with Bruce's character somewhat.

Darth Caedus
07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Just saw it and probably will never watch it again. It didn't feel like the Nolan Batman and certainly wasn't the Dini/Timm Batman. I guess I can admire the stylistic rendering in some of the episodes, but overall the stories didn't really grab me. Seemed to be just action for action's sake. I guess Through the Pain was really the only one that I liked, since it did deal with Bruce's character somewhat.

Yea, Through the Pain and the EMP One seemed the only ones to deal with the Batman Character (With not wanting to shoot or hurt anybody and dealing with his own pain). The one with the sniper assassain wasn't too bad either.

carbo-fation
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
From what I've seen, people who enjoy anime or just the style enjoyed this movie a lot more than people who don't-mainly old, white people.:lecture:D

Darklord Dave
07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
From what I've seen, people who enjoy anime or just the style enjoyed this movie a lot more than people who don't-mainly old, white people.:lecture:D

Ah yes, the style over substance, attention deficit disorder crowd. I'm getting you.

carbo-fation
07-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Ah yes, the style over substance, attention deficit disorder crowd. I'm getting you.

:rotfl:lol:rotfl:gun

Agent0028
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I thought it was entertaining and I'm really not a fan of anime. More story would have been nice. A little more conversation to go with the action so to speak. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

plasmid303
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Don't blame the art style or animation. The lackluster writing is more to blame. This is especially sad when you consider the talent on the list of writers for GK (Goyer, Rucka, etc). I really wonder if any of these guys actually discussed the project together or if they just went their own separate ways. Maybe DC or WB had a hand in creative input. The result is definitely not comparable to any of Nolan's work.

I hate how people like to shoehorn stylistic entries and titles into the "anime" classification. These people obviously haven't seen real anime, and probably judge it based on rather dubious and out of date examples, like Voltron or Dragon Ball or something.

I'm not defending Gotham Knight's art style or anything. To that effect I hated the Bruce Wayne and Batman design in the "Field Test" short. As per traditional male anime protagonist, Bruce appeared too effeminate, too young.

But then again, you could say the same about the Bruce design in "Through the Pain" (my favorite of the shorts), but there was an edge to that design.

Darth Caedus
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
As per traditional male anime protagonist, Bruce appeared too effeminate, too young.

Yep, 100% agree; and with Kevin Conroy's coming out of a character drawn like that, it didn't match whatsoever