PDA

View Full Version : The "I've Seen Indy IV" Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Pages : [1] 2

Gruff Old Bear
05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I saw it screened this morning at 10. Seemed like Paramount was having screenings all day. And the Cannes debut was today.

I think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the best 126 minutes you'll spend at the movies this year. If the Academy was in the sort of freewheeling mood that permitted LOTR:The Return of the King to win the Oscar, Indy could take Best Picture and there'd be nothing but smiles all around. Same for Harrison Ford as Best Actor.

Concerns about the use of CG or the Mutt Williams character prove groundless; Shia is charming and although CGI has generally sucked all the gee how'd they do that? right out of the movies, in this case, though several effects are clearly computer-generated (their sheer scale means there'd be no other way to do them), you'll be so tickled with what the filmmakers chose to do that you won't think much about how it was done. Karen Allen has terrific chemistry with Ford, and it's really beginning to seem that Cate Blanchett can do anything.

I can't wait to see it again.

:cool:

Dr.Mirakle32
05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Is it better than THE LAST CRUSADE?

Rugby1970
05-18-2008, 06:15 PM
That's great news! The hype almost did me in but I've going to try and avoid everything until Wednesday!

Thanks for the update!!

The Josh
05-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm liking the sound of your post Bear. Thursday can't come soon enough.

Gruff Old Bear
05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Is it better than THE LAST CRUSADE?

In my opinion, yes. But then, I didn't like the end of TLC. Your mileage may vary. :D

uscmhicks
05-18-2008, 06:20 PM
2e38r4955901!!394i9jdfidjrolfsjrsojgtr1!!.

MELTDOWN!!!! I CANNOT WAIT !! :rock:rock

Kabukiman
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I saw it screened this morning at 10...

I can't wait to see it again.

It's time for Kabukiman's JEALOUS RAGE!!!!!!

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3671/hulk01mcguinnesscoverrl5.jpg

I HATE YOU!!!!

Okay, not really. I'm too much of an excitable douchebag...

That's awesome that you got to see it. Are you at Cannes or was this in Cali?

I was really looking forward to this, but now that I know it's not "The Phantom Menace 2" I'm ^^^^ing ecstatic! :chew

Gruff Old Bear
05-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm in Los Angeles, and saw it in the theatre on the Paramount lot. If it makes you feel any better, the sound wasn't working when the film started. We were watching the opening credits action sequence in silence for about 20 seconds. (Well, the film was silent, but the audience was not!) When they fixed the sound, I was very surprised by what song was playing, and by what artist. I don't know exactly when the music started, but it followed the niftiest, funniest transition from the corporate logo to the film since the Universal Globe got warm before the start of "Waterworld." But unlike with that film, this time things just keep getting better after that!

But no spoilers!

Bardoon
05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Would you say that the story and all is very "fitting" for Indiana Jones? I know there have been concerns regarding that the Crystal Skull may be of alien-origin.

Not asking for any spoilers...just want to know if it "works" for Indy.

The ill Jedi
05-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the best 126 minutes you'll spend at the movies this year...
Sweet!! So far that distinction goes to Iron Man for me, but this looks like it's gonna be a fun ride too! :rock

Matt S
05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for that review, Gruff!

I am so glad to hear it is truly an Indy film - color me excited

IrishJedi
05-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Glad to hear you had that experience and reaction. A friend of mine is seeing it at Lucasfilm on Tuesday, but I already told him I don't wanna hear ANYTHING... not even whether he liked it or it. I just don't want to go in to the movie Wednesday at midnight with any expectations of any kind. I've also avoided all spoilers for the past couple of weeks, including the latest TV Spots.

BTW, if I'm not online much Wednesday & Thursday, it's probably because I'm at the movies. :lol

DarkArtist81
05-18-2008, 09:29 PM
That is awesome news Gruff! I know you have good film tastes and I trust your judgment fully. Cannot wait to see it. The wife and I have concrete plans for it come Thursday. I don't have to work until 2 pm, so we are going to try and make an early trip to the theater to catch the film... hoping it's not a sold out venue and we can get tickets. My town is pretty small and locally... school isn't out yet. So I'm thinking it will be cool.

So I'm crossing my fingers for awesome Indy goodness come Thursday morning. :rock

Kratos
05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Good stuff mate cannot wait till it is released here

IrishJedi
05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, whether I like the movie or not I should have a good idea by the end of next weekend. So far, I plan on the following showings:

Wednesday at Midnight (solo, because Vyxen can't stay up past 10:00 PM :lol)

Thursday at 5:00 PM (w/ the kids and Vyxen)

Friday night (with Adam)

Sunday afternoon (with Adam)

I'm committed to all of those, so far. Hope it doesn't suck. :lol

Dr.Mirakle32
05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
In my opinion, yes. But then, I didn't like the end of TLC. Your mileage may vary. :D
I'm asking just because while pretty good on it's own, TLC is my least favorite of the original three.

DarkArtist81
05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, whether I like the movie or not I should have a good idea by the end of next weekend. So far, I plan on the following showings:

Wednesday at Midnight (solo, because Vyxen can't stay up past 10:00 PM :lol)

Thursday at 5:00 PM (w/ the kids and Vyxen)

Friday night (with Adam)

Sunday afternoon (with Adam)

I'm committed to all of those, so far. Hope it doesn't suck. :lol

:google:google:google:google:google:google:google

That is a whole LOT of showings. I'm anxious to see my schedule for the weekend... I hope I have at least one day off or a morning available...

plasmid303
05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm hesitant. The critics are already tearing into the film; Some good, some not so good.

LOTRFan
05-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I can't believe Indy dies at the end ... :eek :eek :eek

:monkey3

plasmid303
05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
^ That's the worst joke, ever. Don't do that again.

IrishJedi
05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm hesitant. The critics are already tearing into the film; Some good, some not so good.

These are the types of movies where a professional film critic's word is about as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane.

plasmid303
05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
These are the types of movies where a professional film critic's word is about as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane.

Yeah, you're right. I read through a few reviews (spoiler-free), and one remarked on how CGI heavy the film was while another review praised the film for it's sparse use of CGI. Arg I need to see this film for myself. Thursday can't come quick enough.

Dr.Mirakle32
05-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know if this would be considered a spoiler, but without giving anything away, are there any surprises for the fans?

IrishJedi
05-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I bet you dollars to donuts that the "heavy" CGI that one review was barking about was actually the use of practical models and fullsize sets.

For example, the collapsing/contracting pillars that are in all the trailers that some people scoff at? Not at all CGI... that was a full-scale set piece that was engineered to do that. I guess some people are just automatically inclined to assume CG when they see something fantastical now.

It just goes to show that some people already have the knives sharpened... so they have to throw them at SOMETHING.

Still, I don't care. And I won't read a single review by anyone (professional critic or fanboy) until Sunday at the earliest. I probably won't even discuss/debate the film until I've seen it a couple of times, at least.

Ktjn
05-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Seems the majority of early reviews so far are... good.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_4/

Entropy
05-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I eagerly await your review Irish, but something tells me you won't be particularly impartial. :monkey3

Trevolver
05-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the review, Gruff!!!!

man, am I PUMPED to go out Wednesday night and see this film.
Trev

Darren Carnall
05-19-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm seeing this on Friday night (Jane's work shifts wouldnt allow Thursday)

Can.
Not.
Wait.

oh and trev? ....love the Signature ;)

dunedain
05-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I can't believe Indy dies at the end ... :eek :eek :eek

:monkey3
That's not funny! Now you made the monkeys cry...:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

DarthNeil
05-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Hi.:wave

I know that the title of this thread says no spoilers but without having read anything past the first post I KNOW that some things are going to slip out :nonoand so I graciously refuse to look at this thread until I get to see the movie...

So for now I say "good day" and I hate you all who have ha the good fortune to see it. I'm putting my fingers back in my ears and saying

LA:ghost

LA

IrishJedi
05-19-2008, 04:19 AM
I eagerly await your review Irish, but something tells me you won't be particularly impartial. :monkey3
What do you mean? That's not true at all. I was more than critical of SW prequels... and I've made it pretty well known how flawed I think THE LAST CRUSADE is.

In fact, TLC is my bellweather as a successful/passable INDY film. I'll have to think KOTCS is at least on par with that to not consider it a disappointment, especially after the 19 year wait.

This is a big reason why I will avoid all other opinions until I have seen the movie myself multiple times and fully digested it. I want to form my own opinion without any influence from expectations or buzz (positive or negative) whatsoever.

I'm completely on the fence at the moment... this movie can go either way. But I DO trust in Spielberg.

That said, I'm looking forward to how you, Murderofcrows71, Wor-Gar, Josh and other longtime INDY fans react to the movie as well. :duff

I doubt we'll have a consensus opinion on the flick. But if we did, that would say a lot.

Murderofcrows71
05-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Longtime fan is right, in fact this very year I turned the age Indy was in Raiders 37. Personally from the early reviews I've read, and the bits I've gleened off the Indiana Jones Journal and Ultimate Guide, I think I'll like it. Hell, I'll probably have goosebumps just seeing Ford and Allen on the screen with the Raiders March playing once again. We'll see, unfortunately I have to work nights Wed and Thurs so I won't be able to catch it until the weekend. I was really hoping to catch a midnight show Wed.

IrishJedi
05-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Longtime fan is right, in fact this very year I turned the age Indy was in Raiders 37. Personally from the early reviews I've read, and the bits I've gleened off the Indiana Jones Journal and Ultimate Guide, I think I'll like it. Hell, I'll probably have goosebumps just seeing Ford and Allen on the screen with the Raiders March playing once again. We'll see, unfortunately I have to work nights Wed and Thurs so I won't be able to catch it until the weekend. I was really hoping to catch a midnight show Wed.

37? You've got a whole year on me, old-timer! :lol

The Josh
05-19-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm seeing it Thursday Night and maybe again that weekend. I'm just trying to keep myself level as best I can.

Murderofcrows71
05-19-2008, 06:05 AM
37? You've got a whole year on me, old-timer! :lol

It's not the years, It's the mileage! :lol

Matt S
05-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Most of the professional reviewers have a pre-set agenda and I swear I find them as useless as anything. Why we even have professional reviews anymore is beyond me....:emperor

empire gives it 4 out of 5 stars

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=9816

A slick, fun film that has by no means sacrificed the fast action beats of the first three.

Entropy
05-19-2008, 07:07 AM
What do you mean? That's not true at all. I was more than critical of SW prequels... and I've made it pretty well known how flawed I think THE LAST CRUSADE is.

In fact, TLC is my bellweather as a successful/passable INDY film. I'll have to think KOTCS is at least on par with that to not consider it a disappointment, especially after the 19 year wait.

This is a big reason why I will avoid all other opinions until I have seen the movie myself multiple times and fully digested it. I want to form my own opinion without any influence from expectations or buzz (positive or negative) whatsoever.

I'm completely on the fence at the moment... this movie can go either way. But I DO trust in Spielberg.

That said, I'm looking forward to how you, Murderofcrows71, Wor-Gar, Josh and other longtime INDY fans react to the movie as well. :duff

I doubt we'll have a consensus opinion on the flick. But if we did, that would say a lot.

Ok, that's cool. I hope people are actually able to put the Indy fanboy aside for a bit and view the film for what it actually is and not what they want it to be, not just love it because it's the first Indy film in nearly 20 years.

I just know there's a tendency to want to like something so much one overlooks it flaws. I wanted so badly to love Episode I. I remember walking out of the theater, hyped from seeing it with a rabid Star Wars crowd opening night, trying to tell myself how awesome it was. Only later, once I had actually thought about the film, it's thin plot and shoddy editing and such did I realize what a lack-luster film it really is.

No offense to Gruff, but when I read stuff like KotCS should win the Oscar for best picture, I get skeptical and think the fanboy love has taken over a bit as I heard the same about Phantom Menace and such opening night.

jocco
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
I saw it yesterday at a press showing. I am writing a review of it now. It will be up later today. I will send a link then.

Gruff Old Bear
05-19-2008, 07:43 AM
That's cool, Chick -- especially since you have George Hall as your avatar. He was a dear friend of my wife's family, we all loved him, and I'm forever pissed at Lucas for taking him out of the Chronicles DVDs.

I saw Phantom Menace at a special preview that was also a LucasFilm experiment in digital projection for a digitally-shot picture -- other than that it was being screened off a hard drive instead of fed from a satellite, we got a glimpse into the future of film distribution. I remember walking out thinking that the only difference from a film projection experience was that the picture was clean from any scratches or dirt, and that the blacks were every bit as deep and rich as film. The technical part left me very impressed. I also knew that the dialogue was as stilted as the original, but the performances were no longer sending up Saturday matinee serials. It had become self-referential and overly explanatory. A real let-down.

This one's not like that. I'm obviously not going to touch the question a few pages back about what the crystal skull is, since it's the object of the chase, just as the ark and the grail were. But the larger concern -- is it of a piece with the series? My opinion is a resounding yes.

I've wished I'd said more about the two leading ladies, and if you don't mind, I will, though I'll keep it general. In the case of Cate, during the film I really thought to myself a few times, is there anything she can't do? It's hard to believe she's done Elizabeth, a schoolteacher in a sexual liaison with a pupil, and Kate Hepburn in just the last few years. Now she jumps into a very style-specific action picture and fits in seamlessly. My wife felt the same, though she thought Cate's accent slipped once or twice -- and I mean one or two words, not sentences. I think Cate's accent is probably perfect, just not always what we expect after hearing lesser actors do a generic Russian. I'll bet hers is specific to the area her character comes from -- her exact origin is mentioned in the dialogue when she's introduced, so she probably researched it.

And finally, Karen Allen. There's a review in Variety which should be avoided due to spoilers (and I disagree with the critic's quibbles), but Todd McCarthy, the critic, says that her Marion is the best Howard Hawks heroine ever to appear in a film not directed by Hawks, and that she was a huge part of why the first film worked so well. I think he's right.

Or, as my wife put it, Karen Allen is having just as much fun as Harrison Ford in the film, and it shows.

As for the Academy, they probably won't do it again so soon after LOTR, but I think that were they in that generous mood to think, it would be a way of recognizing the entire effort behind all four films, yeah, it could happen again. And in Ford's case: think of John Wayne finally winning for his Rooster Cogburn. It's probably a dream, but the audience I saw it with walked out, I think, full of admiration. Maybe it's a possible dream.

Shai
05-19-2008, 07:57 AM
I'll just wait to rent the DVD...:monkey3

Darth Caedus
05-19-2008, 08:29 AM

:nono:nono:nono:nono:nono:nono

Indy needs to be seen in theaters

Seretur
05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Just saw it at a mega-ultra-top-secret press screening.

They even made us leave our cellphones outside in little tagged bags. First time I ever saw that happen.

And I sat down comfortably, saw the Lucasfilm logo come up against black, and then the OLD Paramount logo, which turned into... no, not the map from the trailers.

And it was FUN from the first shot, and remained FUN for the duration. As the movie was winding down, spectacular and intriguing and thoroughly satisfying, I felt awful -- it was ending! It was ending! And I didn't ever want it to end!

It's a different movie to the previous three, in a way -- more mature is the right word, I guess. But it's also a grand, grand Indiana Jones adventure.

Can't wait to see it again -- tomorrow night, at a midnight screening with an actual audience. Can't believe these sourpuss critics here didn't want to clap as the credits rolled! Left to my own devices, I'd probably spend a good half of the film audibly agreeing with the proceedings.

One thing to remember: For the first time in the series since Raiders, none of the characters is an embarrassing idiot. Also for the first time since then, Indy is an actual archaeologist here.

Right on.

amarcord
05-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I wait for the DVD

bad joke, I know :-)

Seretur
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Okay, now that I've read through this thread, all I can say is -- Gruff is RIGHT on the money, and as eloquent as any critic. More so than the vast majority of the ones featured on Rotten Tomatoes. Also more insightful.

So it's good to have you here, Gruff! :)

Irish -- this is much, much better than TLC. For the reasons I outlined above, and also because this is the first Indy movie since Raiders that's not an exercise in genre for genre's sake (and I'm saying this as an unabashed ToD fan). It actually takes place in a real world, with real people populating it, with no sneering, mustache-twirling villains, or two-dimensional heroes.

I was also quite amazed at how vast that world felt. You know how sequels tend to develop their inner self-referentiality to the point where a fourth installment can hardly ever be more than a rehash of what had gone before? Yeah, none of that here. You get to learn more about what Indy did in the intervening years (and hear him talk about one of his Young Indy adventures!), and you get more glimpses into the secret history of archeology and science than you can shake a stick at.

And Lucas weaves the many disparate bits of the Crystal Skull lore into an amazing tapestry. But more than anything, I was impressed by how well Koepp has written the entire thing. When he said he didn't write a fan script, he really meant it -- and the fans should be very grateful to him for that. His plotting is more organic than Jeffrey Boam's, and he never resorts to having his characters speak in quips and one-liners, the bane of modern blockbuster writing.

Can't WAIT to see it again. Hopefully it will come to the local digital cinema, though -- it was done in full DI via eFilm, and the 35mm print we saw of it was grainy, overcontrasty, and out of focus. It's mostly the fault of our own projectionists, but digital screenings take most of their errors out of the equation. Well, if anything, it'll look brilliant on Blu-ray later on.

And the art direction is so good, and the level of detail in the money shots so stupenduous, you really owe it to yourself to see it in highest quality possible.

The Josh
05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
If its better than LC then this might end up being my fave as LC is my #1 right now.

Seretur
05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't count on it, Josh.

If TLC is your #1, then it must be that you love the jokes and the interplay that TLC is so abundant in. This isn't a jokey film, and its overall tone is vastly different.

It's much, much closer to my idea of an Indiana Jones film than TLC was, though.

;)

The Josh
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I liked LC for those reasons (though I dont think it was THAT jokey), the religious aspect of it, and the father/son stuff (I'm very close to my Dad). Raiders is very close to LC as far as my faves go so I have no doubts I will end up liking KOTCS. Honestly, to me none of the Indy films are bad they all pretty much rock and are classics in my eyes.

Seretur
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, I can't wait to hear what you thought of it, then. :)

Kabukiman
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
For the first time in the series since Raiders, none of the characters is an embarrassing idiot.

Isn't Shia LeBoeuf in KOTCS? How does that work?

The Josh
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, I can't wait to hear what you thought of it, then. :)

You know me I won't hold back from sharing.

creature4000
05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Pass!

:monkey3 :lol

Seretur
05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
You know, kidney stones never come alone. :monkey1

MinMay
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll wait for it on Blu-Ray :)

Entropy
05-19-2008, 12:39 PM
It's good to hear that it's not super jokey like TLC.

But surely there must be something in the film people didn't care for? I guess in the spoiler review thread when that pops up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to dislike the film at all, but there are very very few films I would consider perfect. Plot holes aside, Raiders is pretty damn close. I'm very happy most reviews from other, possibly less biased :D, sites I've read seem to enjoy it, but I'm a bit dubious about any gushing reviews for big fan base films like this one.

uscmhicks
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
just booked my tickets for midnight tomorrow at the imax and today watched the whole trilogy. I can't wait for this ! :rock

Blackhole
05-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Got my tickets for opening night as well...

I watched the other 3 to refresh my memory...

Seretur
05-19-2008, 02:06 PM
The gushing bit comes from the relief of having seen that they did it right after a 19-year-long wait.

Everything else I wrote -- and I'm sure Gruff too -- is as professional as anything you can find on the net. I've been working as a professional critic for almost 20 years, and have reported from Cannes, Berlin and Venice, worked on film festivals and whatnot. Also, with my picturesque CV, I think I've a slightly broader perspective than the people who spent most of their lives watching movies and eating Twinkies -- and developing an attitude about both.

And look. Whether you like a movie or not depends utterly on your personality, own personal history, and the approach you take to cinema in general. For some, it's entertainment they seek. For others, it's high art. For most, it's some sort of escapism. Few people go to the movies to find ideas, but that's exactly what good genre entertainment can offer (highbrow movies, you notice, rarely deal in ideas). And for me, Indy was great in all of those things (except, thankfully, high art), so that's why it gets my wholehearted recommendation.

DarkArtist81
05-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Man... I can't wait. I've been a huge Indy fan since I was very young. Raiders was the film that got me interested in history and had me digging up my backyard in hopes of finding a "tomb" to explore. I saw Temple of Doom and Last Crusade in the theater, even though I was very young. Was only 3 weeks old when Raiders came out....:lol

But it has stuck with me throughout my life, and I have been following the very LONG tale of Indy IV coming to theaters. Every year I waited for the announcement that never came, each year was another tease. And to finally have it coming out, it's amazing. I walk into work at the theater and see that banner staring back at me daily and I still cannot believe it.

And like others have stated in this thread, I was one of those fanboys that left Episode I with a bad taste in my mouth.. even though I desperately wanted to love it.

So to hear that other people with my same views are loving it, it is music to my ears. But I will still remain on the fence, go into that film with an open mind, and see where it takes me. But something tells me that as soon as that Paramount logo appears onscreen..... I will probably smile and not be able to stop. :lol

The Josh
05-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Also, with my picturesque CV, I think I've a slightly broader perspective than the people who spent most of their lives watching movies and eating Twinkies -- and developing an attitude about both.

And look. Whether you like a movie or not depends utterly on your personality, own personal history, and the approach you take to cinema in general. For some, it's entertainment they seek. For others, it's high art. For most, it's some sort of escapism. Few people go to the movies to find ideas, but that's exactly what good genre entertainment can offer (highbrow movies, you notice, rarely deal in ideas). And for me, Indy was great in all of those things (except, thankfully, high art), so that's why it gets my wholehearted recommendation.

Not gonna lie you got me a bit confused here. You go about patting yourself on the back with how your perspective is better on movies than the normal movie goer, but then you say its about where you're coming from. Which is it?

Maybe, I'm totally misreading what you're saying here but I would like clarification to make sure I'm understanding things.

Gruff Old Bear
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I think Seretur is saying that he's not a "fanboy" predisposed to love it, and that in any event some folks will love this film and some will find fault with it.

Now quit worrying and make your plans to go see it!!! :joy

Oh, and order some Sideshow Indy stuff by Trevor Grove while you're at it...

The Josh
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I think Seretur is saying that he's not a "fanboy" predisposed to love it, and that in any event some folks will love this film and some will find fault with it.

Now quit worrying and make your plans to go see it!!! :joy

Oh, and order some Sideshow Indy stuff by Trevor Grove while you're at it...

Well, in that instance I would agree that his eyes are a bit more open than your normal fanboy. As much as I love Indy if its not what I want I'll say it but based on what you folks have said my gut feeling will be right on track.

My ticket has been purchased for a week, SS items ordered for a while, etc. etc. etc. :rock

Seretur
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm just saying that I do have the professional competence of a film critic to uphold here, and I'm not going to ruin it by rooting for a flawed movie.

But while I admire the film coolly, I also love it as a lifelong fan -- the fan I've managed to keep inside me long after many of my colleagues lost it.

I watched both this and the Iron Man press screenings with a colleague who used to love genre entertainment, but now that he works for a major newspaper he's full of pronouncements like "trivial" when it comes to these films.

Films his younger, less embittered self would have loved.

And we all like different films, which is one of the tricks of the film critic's trade. The best you can do is lay out your arguments for liking a particular film as clearly as possible, and hope that they convince. While appreciating the fact that some people are just wired differently than you.

The Josh
05-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm just saying that I do have the professional competence of a film critic to uphold here, and I'm not going to ruin it by rooting for a flawed movie.

I don't think you would ruin anything by liking a movie that had some flaws. I guess I'm glad I'm just a movie fan so I can go about enjoying my movies without nitpicking them to death. I do know where you are coming from I have a hard time watching sports on TV especially Baseball & Basketball because I start picking apart what the coaches are doing (being one myself).

IrishJedi
05-19-2008, 05:29 PM

Then you must not root for any movie, then. Show me a movie without any flaws at all... and I'll show you the pot of gold at the end of the same Rainbow that Dorothy sang about.

Gruff Old Bear
05-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh, brother.

Time for a group hug!

:grouphug

Seretur
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Seriously, yes.

I'm not much into group hugging, but anything is better than poring over semantics.

Entropy
05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Then you must not root for any movie, then. Show me a movie without any flaws at all... and I'll show you the pot of gold at the end of the same Rainbow that Dorothy sang about.

It's a short list I'm sure, but Casablanca is the first one that comes to mind.

I'm not generally a fan of romantic comedies or "chick flix" or teen sex farces but I can certainly tell a well crafted one from a turkey. I think I can tell the same for movies I am a fan of.

The fan in me will definitely enjoy this Indy film even if the story is lame. Whether it's just a good film or a great film I think will come down to the pacing, if the jokes are solid or corny and slapsticky, if Mutt is likeable, if the supernatural skull stuff is ridiculous or not, and to a lesser extent if it looks plasticy and CGish.

KrisSolo
05-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Casablanca sucks big monkey nuts...

pickard
05-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Having trouble getting a sitter, for Thursday, but the wife and I will definitely get to a showing this weekend. The generally good reviews among the professional critics predisposed to trash big-budget fun movies had me feeling good. Reading the spoiler-free reviews here from fellow Indy fans has me almost crazed to see this.

I wish my oldest daughter was a little older, so I could take her. She's just turning 5, which is a few years younger than when my dad took me to see Raiders in the theater. Maybe after seeing it, I'll reconsider.

Seretur
05-20-2008, 08:41 AM
There isn't any significant blood and gore here, so that's a plus for taking a not-yet-5-year-old.

There is one quite gruesome death, though. Beautifully gruesome in the truest Indy tradition, but still.

However, much of what happens for the first hour or so will probably fly over the little one's head. Except for the prairie dogs.

Also, could such a small child have the attention span necessary to sit for two hours in a movie theater?

tomandshell
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I can't see it if I don't bring my kids (4 and 6), so I am going to be prepared to cover their eyes during scary parts. I hope there aren't to many "Boo" moments I won't be prepared for. Is the gruesome death something we see coming by a second or two?

My kids sat very well through Speed Racer and Prince Caspian, both of which were longer than Indy IV--Caspian by a good twenty minutes.

I don't typically bring my kids to a PG-13 mvie I haven't previewed but I don't want to wait a week to see Indy because I don't have a sitter. (All the sitters are going to the beach for Memorial Day weekend.) Give me the bad parent award if you must, but I'm going to sit there and cover their eyes if that's what it takes to see it opening weekend. They are well behaved and won't get up and walk around the theater or make noise, so it won't ruin the experience for others--which is important to me.

Entropy
05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Casablanca sucks big monkey nuts...

Nice, well thought out critique. You should get a job reviewing films. :rolleyes:

KrisSolo
05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice, well thought out critique. You should get a job reviewing films. :rolleyes:

Why, thank you. Perhaps a calling I should look into?

Gone With The Wind also sucks giant monkey nuts...

Dusty
05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I *may* get to see it at a screening tonight... *crosses fingers*

Watch for the official SideshowDusty review if so! ;)

I hope I think it's as good as you guys say!! :chew I have very low expectations so I'm sure I will at the minimum find it a fun ride and it'll be nice to see the whip and the hat back in action... and you know me and Shia are BFF :lol

Entropy
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
and you know me and Shia are BFF :lol

:lol

Hope you get to see it tonight Dusty. I eagerly await your Indy assessment complete with requisite "that Shia is dreamy" comments. ;)

tomandshell
05-20-2008, 01:19 PM
My favorite part will be the part where Shia's goods are smacked repeatedly.

IrishJedi
05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I simply do not understand all of the Shia hate... especially after TRANSFORMERS, where he was by far the best thing that was not a CG robot.

scubasteve
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
I enjoy watching Shia. Good actor and funny! Sorry haters :monkey3

Megan Fox was the next best thing, though. Terrible actress. Wonderful to look at.

Seretur
05-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Megan Fox is a terrible actress! No! Say it ain't so!

Also, Dusty, you and Shia... who would've thought. Perhaps it's the monkeys.

As for the gruesome death -- I actually think I'd be amazed more than horrified to see it as a 5-year-old, especially if my dad insisted he bring me to all those big movies you mention. It's at the tail end of the ants sequence, which is actually amazing. So put two and two together and figure out what happens -- this thing is a bit more prolonged than the old mauled-by-propellers or crushed-by-rock-crusher bits. It might be as cool as the melting heads, though.

The thing is, the final half hour of this movie is such eye candy that the kids will just be staring at the screen in amazement, regardless of their ability to comprehend the purpose of it all. (It also flies over the head of half my colleagues. Their fault for not reading up on their occult lore.) Also, compared to the spectacle this film ends with, all other Indy films seem small.

It's still not the best film, as Raiders is shot for shot and line for line perfect, but other than that, it's the best time you'll have at the movies this year.

IrishJedi
05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Megan Fox was the next best thing, though. Terrible actress. Wonderful to look at.

I agree... especially when they airbrush over all those tattoos. :monkey1

Entropy
05-20-2008, 06:44 PM
it's the best time you'll have at the movies this year.

Ah, but the year is young. Still many blockbusters yet to be unleashed.

scubasteve
05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
The thing is, the final half hour of this movie is such eye candy that the kids will just be staring at the screen in amazement, regardless of their ability to comprehend the purpose of it all. (It also flies over the head of half my colleagues. Their fault for not reading up on their occult lore.) Also, compared to the spectacle this film ends with, all other Indy films seem small.

Sounds incredible. Absolutely cannot wait. Anticipation is at an all time high :monkey5

pickard
05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
There isn't any significant blood and gore here, so that's a plus for taking a not-yet-5-year-old.

There is one quite gruesome death, though. Beautifully gruesome in the truest Indy tradition, but still.

However, much of what happens for the first hour or so will probably fly over the little one's head. Except for the prairie dogs.

Also, could such a small child have the attention span necessary to sit for two hours in a movie theater?

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, she's been going to 2-hour movies for years. And she doesn't talk at all during the film, because she knows I'll yank her ass out of there in a heartbeat. My kid(s) won't ruin a movie for everyone else.

I simply do not understand all of the Shia hate... especially after TRANSFORMERS, where he was by far the best thing that was not a CG robot.

I don't get it either Irish.

And, to echo the majority opinion, Megan Fox is hot!

Wor-Gar
05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
My kid(s) won't ruin a movie for everyone else.

:clap

Excellent! I wish there were more parents like you.

The Mike
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
WOW. Just WOW.

I couldn't stay away and read a spoiler review of this film.........without breaking the No Spoiler pact here let me just say the last segment of the film will be an interesting and defining Indy movement I would have never thought would have been done.

Dr.Mirakle32
05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I just got back, and I'm kinda dissapointed. I liked it alright, and I want to like it, but for some reason, I just wasn't WOWED. I guess this happens when you wait to see the long delayed sequel to your favorite movie of all time (ROTLA.) Too much CGI, a weird, fake look, an alien concept, and even Shia, really kind of gave me a bad vibe about the whole film. However, the film starts to get good when Karen Allen shows up, but the ending left alot to be desired. It is a so/so film in every sense of the word.

I do however plan on seeing it with my dad (who also loves ROTLA, and saw it when it came out,) hoping I might find a diffrent view on it, and enjoy it more.

Here is my ranking:
1. ROTLA (favorite movie of ALL time!)
2. TOD (pretty damn good, and the truest to the serials of the 1930's)

3.TLC (a jokey, watered down rehash of ROTLA, with Connery, and the father-son plot making it something special)/ KOTCS (in many ways, too different from ROTLA, but still an entertaining flick. Hey, Indy's back, so what can I say?)

Wor-Gar
05-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Here is my ranking:
1. ROTLA (favorite movie of ALL time!)
2. TOD (pretty damn good, and the truest to the serials of the 1930's)

3.TLC (a jokey, watered down rehash of ROTLA, with Connery, and the father-son plot making it something special)/ KOTCS (in many ways, too different from ROTLA, but still an entertaining flick. Hey, Indy's back, so what can I say?)

Since I agree with your analysis of the first three films, I fear for the new one now. But thanks for lowering my expectations. Seriously. Maybe it will help.

IrishJedi
05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Excellent! I wish there were more parents like you.
We're the same. If my kids talk or carry on during a movie... we're DONE and they're out of the theater and they know it. Which I guess is why they're so well-behaved. :lol

Dr.Mirakle32
05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Since I agree with your analysis of the first three films, I fear for the new one now. But thanks for lowering my expectations. Seriously. Maybe it will help.

Maybe. I guess I was dissapointed, but I want to see it again, if that makes any sense.

Customikey
05-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I got asked out by a hot girl who said she was taking me to the midnight screening of Indiana Jones on IMAX here in New York tomorrow.

Not bad for a first date!!

No matter what, I doubt I'll be disappointed. :naughty

IrishJedi
05-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I got asked out by a hot girl who said she was taking me to the midnight screening of Indiana Jones on IMAX here in New York tomorrow.

Not bad for a first date!!

Marry her! :lol

Customikey
05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Marry her! :lol

Gah! NO! I just got divorced! I'm not ready to tie the noose around my neck again!!!

However, some post Jones coitus wouldn't go amiss....

Gruff Old Bear
05-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Okay, everybody sing: Hi-diddle-dee-dee, an actor's life for me...

Whutzat part about dining on caviar?

:cool:

Dusty
05-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Got to see it last night, and for the first time in my entire life I'm choosing to withhold my comments until more people get to see the film for themselves. I want to see if I'm just crazy, or if more Indy fans agree with me... AFTER they see it. I'm not saying what I think now, no matter how much you beg - I don't want to ruin it for anyone, good or bad :duff

The Mike
05-21-2008, 10:06 AM
The fact you said "If I'm crazy or if Indy fans agree with me" has a negative connotation to it.....hmmmmmmm......

Wor-Gar
05-21-2008, 10:50 AM
The fact you said "If I'm crazy or if Indy fans agree with me" has a negative connotation to it.....hmmmmmmm......

Exactly my thought. Oh no.....

Les Walker
05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Congrats Mikey! My first shot at the movie will be at 12:30 tomorrow afternoon, and I will most likely go alone. Just me, popcorn and a coke, and Indy! BRING IT ON!
Then, I meet some buddies for a 7:15 show later that evening, at what will most likely be a much more crowded show. So, all is well. I will be trying to imagine your date though! Lucky dog! :naughty

anti-hero
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Congrats Mikey! My first shot at the movie will be at 12:30 tomorrow afternoon, and I will most likely go alone. Just me, popcorn and a coke, and Indy! BRING IT ON!
Then, I meet some buddies for a 7:15 show later that evening, at what will most likely be a much more crowded show. So, all is well. I will be trying to imagine your date though! Lucky dog! :naughty

I'm thinking of taking a half day tomorrow and doing the same thing. I actually like going to the movies by myself. It's fun. Plus then I'll be able to see it a second time this weekend since my wife wants to see it too.

DarkArtist81
05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Exactly my thought. Oh no.....

Well, I'm going tonight at midnight.... I will most certainly let my thoughts be known. And I am a HUGE Indy fan, so I hope I'm not mega pissed when I get out. :lol

Trevolver
05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
heading out for a midnight showing tonight, so I'll give my gut reaction tomorrow. I'm almost positive my overwhelming love for these films will set me up for some kind of disappointment, but....it's gonna be a fun experience!

Trev

Wor-Gar
05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
By tomorrow, we all should have a pretty good idea of how this film really plays to the fans.

I'm not going tonight at midnight, so I'm really curious to read the reviews here before I go tomorrow or Friday.

tomandshell
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Dusty didn't like it! And she doesn't want her negative response to influence us to have the same reaction! This is bad news!!!

:horror

We all know how she responds when she loves a film, and this isn't it.

:(

Or it's possible she loves it and doesn't want to overinflate our expectations so that we start a thread called "The Biggest Dissapointment Of My Life Thus Far..."

If she came out saying, "This is the best in the series" or the worst, either way she would be setting us up for something other than a blank slate experience on our first viewing.

Dusty
05-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Dusty didn't like it! And she doesn't want her negative response to influence us to have the same reaction! This is bad news!!!

:horror

We all know how she responds when she loves a film, and this isn't it.

Or it's possible she loves it and doesn't want to overinflate our expectations so that we start a thread called "The Biggest Dissapointment Of My Life Thus Far..."

If she came out saying, "This is the best in the series" or the worst, either way she would be setting us up to something other than a blank slate experience for our first viewing.

mwahahahahahahahaaaa... who knows which it is? :D I will let you decide for yourselves this time, through your own viewings. Looking forward to fan reaction, that's for sure!

DarkArtist81
05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Well played.... Dusty... well played. :lol

Wor-Gar
05-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Bad.... why'd it have to be bad?

Blackhole
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Man, I can't wait for this...just 20 hours left...

Entropy
05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Got my ticket for the midnight show tonight, which was a chore to get as the box office was having computer problems so they directed me to an automated ticketing kiosk which failed to print a ticket... the manager had to come out and enter about 50 codes before he printed me a comp.

I'm going to try and enjoy this movie for what it is and not what I want it to be. Love it or hate it, I'm prepared for either, I won't pull any punches in my review.

Is someone going to start a "seen it" - spoiler thread where we can talk about the specifics?

SOLIDSNAKE
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I am going tomorrow !!

I cant freaking wait.

Seretur
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I've now seen it twice, and I have zero problems with the movie.

That includes the Tarzan bit. It's actually quite adorable.

And it just all works better the second time, which is a sure sign of a movie done right.

:)

DarkArtist81
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok, well... just watched Raiders, am now leaving to go and see the movie. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I thought before I go to bed. :duff

uscmhicks
05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
just got back from te midnight viewing in the UK and its now 03:36.
That movie was awesome !! :rock
I loved it , Indys still got it , the acting was flawless and no matter what anyone says I think Shia did a great job and I'm happy his careers looking up.
It seemed strange seeing Ray Winston , I see him in a lot of uk movies swearing away in his usual cockney accent so it was hard for me to get used to him fitting in with the gang. There were some moments that brought back amazing memories from the first movies and the new features and ideas from george and steven were flawless.
i loved it all and think it was a great addition to the series.
Bring on Indy 5 , why the hell not !! ? :rock:rock

Seretur
05-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Go Hicks go!

:banana

Joker
05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Most disappointing 2 hours of my life. This movie was a turd. Plain and simple. I will never see it again.

Aliens.
CGI overuse.
Poor scripting.
One dimensional characters.
Stupid villain.
Awful finale.

I'm enraged.

jedibear
05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Just got back from the midnight show...

Great movie. I love how it really fits in with what's come before...yes, it pays some homage here and there(I loved the SW reference :)) yet still adds something new.

LeBouf is fine...better than fine. I thought the reparte between he and Ford was terrific...not forced, just well done. it was nice seeing Karen Allen again, even if it was a little brief.

Can't wait to see it again!

Wor-Gar
05-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Most disappointing 2 hours of my life. This movie was a turd. Plain and simple. I will never see it again.

Aliens.
CGI overuse.
Poor scripting.
One dimensional characters.
Stupid villain.
Awful finale.

I'm enraged.

Just got back from the midnight show...

Great movie. I love how it really fits in with what's come before...yes, it pays some homage here and there(I loved the SW reference :)) yet still adds something new.

LeBouf is fine...better than fine. I thought the reparte between he and Ford was terrific...not forced, just well done. it was nice seeing Karen Allen again, even if it was a little brief.

Can't wait to see it again!

Jesus, what am I supposed to think?????

Entropy
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Initial impression: meh. easily the weakest in the series but works nicely as a bookend for Raiders.

Waaay too many exposition scenes. And I never bought into the crystal skull. Very lame macguffin that lead to an eye rolling climax. :rolleyes: If you thought TLC grail temple was hokey, the skull temple blows it away in unbelievability. It fits with the 1950s stuff I guess but seems more at home in a Tomb Raider movie than with Indy, esp all the CGI that increases as the film goes along. The final scene was what I thought it would and should be, and was pleased at that. The last bit with Indy's hat was nice. Revisiting the characters and Harrison's performance kept the lackluster plot afloat. The bits mentioning Marcus and his dad were especially nice. I liked the nods to the other films in the series.

Shai was good and appropriate in his role, except for the one scene where he was by himself saving the day. By far the worst scene of the entire series. ugh. Monkies... why did it have to be monkies. Ridiculous and hamfisted. The whole jungle action scene was uneven, exciting and fun then suddenly undercut with unnecessary comic lameness. The ants were just odd and over the top at moments.

The performances shined. Karen Allen was fantastic all around. Cate Blanchett was great. Ray Winstone was wasted in his stupid role. John Hurt was good in his limited function as well, less of a character and more of a living plot device to get them closer to the goal. Jim Broadbent was a nice stand in for a sorely missed Denholm Elliott.

All in all it was entertaining but disappointing.

Dusty
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Go see it for yourself ;)

See why I won't touch this one yet? :lol

Joker
05-21-2008, 11:54 PM

I'm a die-hard Indy fan. The practical effects are what made the originals so classic (you avatar is a great example). This new movie shouldn't even have the Indy brand name attached to it. The entire script has LUCAS written all over it. It's just ridiculous.

BlindVoyeur
05-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Bottom line is Lucas is not the same person he once was, therefore his new project no longer have the magic that made them special. Not that they are all bad but they just seem very forced and cookie cutter. My biggest problem with the movie was the force use of humor through out it. Instead of the usual Indy charm it felt more like Superman III campy. Some of the action scenes were a little over the top as well, not that thats a bad thing for an Indy movie but Indy fights were to me always more like a bar room brawl and not a matrix style fight on moving vehicles. But oh well. Also I think they should have stuck to spirtual / mystical artifacts and not branched off the x-files route.

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I just got back... And seriously, I loved it. Guess I am the odd one out of the bunch, but then again... I loved Temple of Doom. :lol

It had it's silly moments, don't get me wrong. Only one had me rolling my eyes a bit, the monkeys.... But all in all, I loved it. I love the Crystal Skull legends anyway, so the Macguffin was fine by me. And it was FANTASTIC to have an Indy movie with actual TOMBS in them again. TLC was missing that sorely IMO. Shia was fantastic in his role, Winstone did admirably as well, and having Karen back was a real treat.

It has everything I wanted in another Indy adventure and the pace was nice and fast. I highly recommend it to any Indy fans, but just expect a little bit of over the top moments here and there.

I liked it as much as Temple, more than TLC and less than Raiders of course. So it is tied for second place in my heart. A great movie, lots of fun, worth it at least to see Harrison back as Indy on the screen again. See it with an open mind and beware the monkey scene. :lol

I'm already pumped to see it again. :rock:rock:rock

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Go see it for yourself ;)

See why I won't touch this one yet? :lol

Oh man. I'm already disappointed. I can tell, whether it's horrible or not, it ain't gonna be Indiana Jones.

And what's with the monkeys? Is this the "Tarzan" thing? Oh god, I'm gonna go cry now.

Monkeys...why'd it have to be monkeys?

stshammgod
05-22-2008, 12:04 AM
It has a different feel to me than the other three. I couldn't even talk when I left the theater. I...

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Trust me man, it's still Indy. It feels like stepping into comfy old shoes...

If you can stomach a silly monkey scene and still love Indy doing his thing, you'll like it bro.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 12:06 AM

If you can stomach a silly monkey scene and still love Indy doing his thing, you'll like it bro.

No. Not with monkeys. That's where I draw the line.

:D

Good thing: my expectations just bottomed out. I hope that helps.

crasis
05-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I'm a bit speechless right now, too. I liked it, though... I think? :google

I need to digest this one a bit. Time for bed.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:08 AM

It was an entertaining turd? :lol

Joker

It's really not. It's really... really not. *sigh*
:banghead

Wor-Gar
Yeah, I'm a bit speechless right now, too. I liked it, though... I think? :google

I need to digest this one a bit. Time for bed.

Christ!!! This is torture.

BlindVoyeur
05-22-2008, 12:10 AM
P.s. They sure dont make major appliances like they used to. :rotfl

King Darkness
05-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I trust in josh's opinion:rock :rock :rock

I wont get to see it till next week, damn it.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
yup, the monkey scene is horrible.

There's also goofy prairie dogs at reminded me of SW prequel alien goofiness, but they were forgivable.

The kungfu skeleton warriors however... :rolleyes:

It's an entertaining film don't get me wrong. The performances are what makes it fun!

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
You guys can hate on it if you want, I thought it was great. Best thing to do WG, is to just stay neutral and see what YOU think yourself, not be influenced by me or anyone else's opinions. If you like it, you like it.

Just take the pressure off and take it as it is.

Lots of people hated The Temple of Doom, I loved it.

Lots of people loved The Last Crusade, I liked it but did not love it.

Almost everyone hated The Phantom Menace, so did I. :lol

It's all relative.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
I was going to fight to see it tomorrow...now I may wait to see it Friday afternoon instead. I feel like I don't need to rush to see this.

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
I was going to fight to see it tomorrow...now I may wait to see it Friday afternoon instead. I feel like I don't need to rush to see this.

If you don't see it, you will only be more anxious and the negative vibes will wear you down so that you are EXPECTING to not like it. See it, find out for yourself. Trust me. :cool:

SSC_Nerd
05-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Personally, I loved it, but I can certainly see why it may get a lot of potential hate. It's all about context though. This is the same weird crap that was in the campy sc-fi movies in the 50's. Spielberg was literally make a product of its time. I can see a lot of people not liking that though, since it just didn't feel like the old movies did. And yeah, damn Lucas and his love for CG. I wanted more practical effects myself. Some things about it were a bit much. So yeah, Cate Blanchett turned me on...

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
You guys can hate on it if you want, I thought it was great. Best thing to do WG, is to just stay neutral and see what YOU think yourself, not be influenced by me or anyone else's opinions. If you like it, you like it.

Agreed.

There is much to like in this film. And much to dislike as well. IMO
There will be some who focus on the good bits and love it, others who will focus on the flaws and hate it.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Trust me. :cool:

Good Indy line.

OK......

But it better be better the Last Crusade, that's all I'm sayin.

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Agreed.

There is much to like in this film. And much to dislike as well. IMO
There will be some who focus on the good bits and love it, others who will focus on the flaws and hate it.

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree. :duff

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:23 AM
If you don't see it, you will only be more anxious and the negative vibes will wear you down so that you are EXPECTING to not like it. See it, find out for yourself. Trust me. :cool:

Or expect the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised. :D

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Are there any great hand-to-hand fights?

Does the villain die a good nasty death?

These are key elements for me.

Or expect the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised. :D

That's kinda what I'm thinking now.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Are there any great hand-to-hand fights?

Does the villain die a good nasty death?

These are key elements for me.

Yes to the fights. Indy throws many a-punch.
Some unnecessary CGI comic business in one of Mutt's fights.

pretty good villain death, but my least favorite of all the 4 movie villain deaths.

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM

pretty good villain death, but my least favorite of all the 4 movie villain deaths.

Agreed on all points. The fights were fantastic. Indy and Mutt's fights. The villain death was not great, but still pretty decent.

Just one more note before I am off to bed... I honestly went into this movie almost expecting to be disappointed. The first few minutes, I was scared I wasn't going to like it. But after it started going, I was enthralled and it did not let go from there. It felt like Indy, just in a new era and time.

There were moments, 3 stand out ones, that were a bit over the top for me... Monkeys, a fridge, and a huge tree limb... But they weren't that bad, just over the top. The bits with the Gophers were forgivable, just odd. The monkeys are the worst bit.

But it didn't take away from the experience for me at all. Indy is back in his full glory, he is back... tomb hopping, jotting notes and acting like a real Archaeologist again. It was great.

I left the theater very happy, knowing that Lucas didn't sucker me like he did with Star Wars Episode I. I didn't feel cheated or let down at all. That was a surprise to me, especially after reading the posts in this thread before I went.

Joker
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
SPOLIER:

Good villain death? YEAH RIGHT! She dies like Grievous did, essentially, except after her brain combusts, she turns into CGI dust.

END SPOILER

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Good villain death? YEAH RIGHT! She dies like Grievous did, essentially, except after her brain combusts, she turns into CGI dust.

Let me remind you of the "No spoilers" tag in the thread description. :monkey4

Some people may not want to know that yet.

Joker
05-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Oops. I'll edit it.

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Oops. I'll edit it.

:cool: Cool.

Just know that if you are looking for another Indy adventure that changes things for Indy from that point on, this one is it.

If you are looking for a film that rivals Raiders itself, you won't get it. Raiders was perfection. But it does Rival Temple and Crusade. Bests Crusade IMO.

Really just depends on what your expectations are.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:42 AM
There were moments, 3 stand out ones, that were a bit over the top for me... Monkeys, a fridge, and a huge tree limb... But they weren't that bad, just over the top. The bits with the Gophers were forgivable, just odd. The monkeys are the worst bit.

I was ok with the tree limb, by the time it happened other odder things had occurred, but would add the final climax with the skull. Fine, I can buy the skull with magical properties stuff but what happens with it was just over the top.

The narrative is more convoluted and just doesn't flow as well as Crusade or TOD even and the opening action scene is the weakest of the 4 movies.

You guys should just erase that bit rather than writing "spoiler" IMO. but whatever

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 12:44 AM
I was ok with the tree limb, by the time it happened other odder things had occurred, but would add the final climax with the skull. Fine, I can buy the skull with magical properties stuff but what happens with it was just over the top.

The narrative is more convoluted and just doesn't flow as well as Crusade or TOD even and the opening action scene is the weakest of the 4 movies.

Really? I thought the opener was great. Much better than TLC, I sometimes skip over that bit when I watch that one. Just not as interesting to me. But apples and oranges I guess. :lol

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Really? I thought the opener was great. Much better than TLC, I sometimes skip over that bit when I watch that one. Just not as interesting to me. But apples and oranges I guess. :lol

What? :google the Cross of Coranado chase is great, the snakes, the bullwhip, the hat, introducing his dad and the obsession with the grail, then cutting to adult Indy on the ship is brilliant! It sets up the theme of the whole movie quite elegantly. A nice piece of writing that gives some origin story, characterization and flows well into the bits that follow.

wofford29
05-22-2008, 12:52 AM
I honestly can't understand people picking apart an Indy movie like it's supposed to be fine art cinema or something. You have to turn your brain off for every Indy movie made, and I'm sure this one is no different. The previous three were dumb and entertaining, I expect nothing more from this one.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
I honestly can't understand people picking apart an Indy movie like it's supposed to be fine art cinema or something. You have to turn your brain off for every Indy movie made, and I'm sure this one is no different. The previous three were dumb and entertaining, I expect nothing more from this one.

I study every bit of writing I'm exposed to. There are well written action popcorn movies, well written romantic comedies just as there are well written "high art" dramas.

It's very illuminating to understand and be able to explain why one works and another does not. The structure of narratives and story telling is incredibly interesting.

wofford29
05-22-2008, 01:07 AM
I study every bit of writing I'm exposed to. There are well written action popcorn movies, well written romantic comedies just as there are well written "high art" dramas.

It's very illuminating to understand and be able to explain why one works and another does not. The structure of narratives and story telling is incredibly interesting.

A well written script doesn't exempt a movie from being dumb.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 01:10 AM
A well written script doesn't exempt a movie from being dumb.

True. But one can learn just as much about writing from dumb movies, or comics, or novels, as smart ones.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 01:33 AM

At least I get that.

Joker
05-22-2008, 02:04 AM

Umm... What!? That's not the case at all. That's just ridiculous.

RevRanger
05-22-2008, 02:24 AM
There is one BIG reason why Indy 4 was a terrible movie (and a hundred small reasons) --

It is the single BIGGEST problem you can have with ANY story.

IT WOULD HAVE MADE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL if the hero (in this case, Indiana Jones) had succeeded or failed in his journey.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 02:34 AM
There is one BIG reason why Indy 4 was a terrible movie (and a hundred small reasons) --

It is the single BIGGEST problem you can have with ANY story.

IT WOULD HAVE MADE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL if the hero (in this case, Indiana Jones) had succeeded or failed in his journey.

Good point. Things would've played out the same it seems.

Trevolver
05-22-2008, 03:22 AM
gut reaction after seeing the movie- didn't work for me....but I'm WAY too in love with the original films. Disappointment was inevitable. :)

Trev

hairlesswookiee
05-22-2008, 04:36 AM
What? :google the Cross of Coranado chase is great, the snakes, the bullwhip, the hat, introducing his dad and the obsession with the grail, then cutting to adult Indy on the ship is brilliant! It sets up the theme of the whole movie quite elegantly. A nice piece of writing that gives some origin story, characterization and flows well into the bits that follow.
AGREED!!!! And I actually like that movie more than Temple of Doom.

Exactly!!! It was a very fun movie to watch, and I'm glad they got Indy and Marion back together in a film (like her character much better than the other Indy girls) and I didn't hate Mutt's character like I thought I was gonna. However, once we found out the whole premise and discovered what the Krystal Skulls were I was extremely disappointed.

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 05:16 AM
I am worried that Irish has not commented on it yet. Yo Irish! What gives? Your opinion any day now. :tap

choopie
05-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Went to a midnight showing. I walked away with mixed feelings about it and want to see it at least one more time to see if my thoughts hold firm. Initial reaction: I was disappointed, and I went into it without any expectations and fairly spoiler-free. I was hoping it'd be on par with LC, and IMO, it's the weakest out of the bunch.

I will say this, it is definitely a film for the fans. If you haven't seen the other films or are not familiar with Indy and his quirks, then you aren't going to completely grasp the inside jokes.

I loved the opening scene and the scene with the snake and the dry sand pit. And a nice touch with the tribute to Marcus.

However, I felt that much of the humor in the film was completely unnecessary -- interjected unnaturally just to get a chuckle from the audience. And you really need to suspend disbelief in some of the scenes. I liked the time period, but I'm not sold on the story line. I felt there was really no real connections between the characters, and the Russians seemed very two dimensional. And I didn't care for the ending.

The good thing is this film didn't ruin my love for Indy or the franchise. TOD remains my fav of the follow-ups.

pickard
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Agreed on all points. ...
But it didn't take away from the experience for me at all. Indy is back in his full glory, he is back... tomb hopping, jotting notes and acting like a real Archaeologist again. It was great.

Awesome!! Our tastes coincide most of the time, so I'm glad you liked it so much.

anti-hero
05-22-2008, 07:50 AM
The good thing is this film didn't ruin my love for Indy or the franchise. TOD remains my fav of the follow-ups.

Hmm...your post was really scaring me until I read this. For me, TLC is far better than TOD, so i'm still hopeful the new one will work for my tastes.

Gruson
05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Awful movie.

No suspense or drama at all and far too much "forced" comedy and stupid CGI creature moments.

I posted more in the spoilers forum.

It's sad when you're shaking you head at what's happening in the movie, then finally just laughing at it (not with it) because it's soooo bad.

Way too many cringe moments for me.

I just didn't care what happened to the characters either.

It just did not have the Indy "feel" or "magic" to it.

I love Raiders, TOD, and TLC but this last movie was just horrible.

TOD is still my favorite sequel for sure.

JAWS
05-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Awful movie.

No suspense or drama at all and far too much "forced" comedy and stupid CGI creature moments.

I posted more in the spoilers forum.

It's sad when you're shaking you head at what's happening in the movie, then finally just laughing at it (not with it) because it's soooo bad.

Way too many cringe moments for me.

I just didn't care what happened to the characters either.

It just did not have the Indy "feel" or "magic" to it.

I love Raiders, TOD, and TLC but this last movie was just horrible.

TOD is still my favorite sequel for sure.

I AGREE 100%. I don't know if I would call the film awful. Hard for me to do that being that it was Indiana Jones. Take Jones out of this film and it has no good qualities.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
gut reaction after seeing the movie- didn't work for me....but I'm WAY too in love with the original films. Disappointment was inevitable. :)

Trev

Ugh. That's the final knife through my heart.

hairlesswookiee
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/hairlesswookiee/motivational/motivator4015813.jpg

olvidadero
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
You're probably going to hate me for this, but I saw it a cople of hours ago, and felt like writing a (spoiler free) mini-review... in Spanish. Yeah, sorry, I don't feel like translating, so this is for the people who can read Spanish. I am sorry if this is too out of place, I just wanted to share my thoughts with you, no matter in which language.

Acontecimientos como este nos hacen seguir amando el cine. La nueva Indiana Jones es absolutamente perfecta: antológica, divertida, algo absurda y con el justo punto de tontería, o sea, todo lo que una película de Indiana Jones debe ser, hasta los últimos 30-40 minutos. Spielberg y Lucas instrumentalizan con maestría el niño que llevamos dentro, hasta que lo violan en la recta final de la película, poniendo el listón de nuestra suspensión de la incredulidad tan, tan alto, que no llegamos ni de puntillas. Aún con todo, vuelvo a repetir, asistir a estrenos cinematográficos como este nos devuelve el espíritu de cinéfilo soñador y nos “retorna” (menudo guiño) las ganas de seguir amando el cine muchos años más. Con suerte, un puñado de chavales decidirán ser directores de cine viendo El reino de la calavera de cristal, al igual que otros tantos cuando vieron El arca perdida.

Y ahora random thoughts sobre la película:

- Oscar a diseño de producción obligado.
- Me vuelvo asalta cunas y asalta asilos a la vez. Harrison es un viejales con sex appeal (la escena después de la bomba…) y Shia es Shia… Oh, Shia (Mutt ha superado mis expectativas)..
- Karen Allen es una viejita encantadora.
- La mejor escena de la película, sin duda, el pozo de arena.
- Cate Blanchett no hace nada del otro mundo, mucha presencia escénica para una villana con muy poca personalidad.
- Se recomienda fervientemente revisar la trilogía antes de ir a ver la IV, así se aprecia a otro nivel.
- Que alguien me robe un póster de las marquesinas.
- Se confirman mis malos augurios con David Koepp, el guionista coitus interruptus.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
You're probably going to hate me for this, but I saw it a cople of hours ago, and felt like writing a (spiler free) mini-review... in Spanish. Yeah, sorry, I don't feel like translating, so this is for the people who can read Spanish. I am sorry if this is too out of place, I just wanted to share my thoughts with you, no matter in which language.

WOW!!!

That bad, huh? That's got to be the most brutal review yet, in Spanish.

Les Walker
05-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Just got back. Just saw it. While it's in my head... :rock

My basically non-spoiler take on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

OK, first….it’s been 19 years. I cannot fault either Lucas, Spielberg or Harrison Ford for the ages each has reached, and therefore, the slowed pace that comes with age. This movie does not move at the same frenetic pace as tales of Indys past. Even the red lines when they travel seem slower and more calmed down. Plus, there is little “world” travel here, just mostly to South America, so that’s easier too.

Indy is older. End of problems. I like the way it starts, with Elvis crooning over yet another tricked out roadster’s radio (looks like a black version of the yellow car from American Graffitti). And from there, it’s nostalgia all the way. Lots of 50’s references. Howdy Doody, I like Ike. Commies. The works.

As for the Indy mystery archeology plot, I found some of it refreshing, and more like REAL archeology, with more realistic dialogue, than some of the sequels, but as others have said, just seeing Indy in dusty old tombs was almost in and of itself great enough.

Mutt was a decent sidekick, and seeing Marion again was great, if rushed. No real time to feel much. Very “kid’s take” and all. I wish there had been more chemistry with them like in Raiders.

Villains were fine. Didn’t expect much. The Russian chick was great. Natasha more or less. OK.

The “McGuffin”, the Crystal Skull and it’s backstory were cool enough. Led to a decent and interesting ending compared to the other movies, but was fine.

There was a weird plothole right at the end, that I need explained, otherwise it ended on a more grounded note than any other of the films. Warmer.

All in all, I would say this, after having seen all four movies in one week, within days of each other, my order of favorites is easy. From Raiders to Crystal Skull, in order of appearance. The end. As they go, they lose something that Raiders established. Temple of Doom was the most different, and was a shock at the time, but now remains the most adrenaline rushed. Last Crusade was fun if silly at times, and Crystal Skull felt slower, but again, calmer and more grounded than the other two sequels.
NOTHING will EVER replace that shock of seeing a sneak preview of Raiders when I had no idea what I was about to see. Nothing. None of the sequels, ever lived up the the Ark. Never will.

Favorite things about the series in retrospect, The Ark and everything to do with it, Indy’s amazing and fearless daring in Raiders. Banter with Short Round and Mola Ram in TOD. Henry Sr, hell, CONNERY, in LC. The Ants and that one final surprise bit with the 13 skeletons in CS. That was wicked! The very end of CS also. Not a bad way to go out.

If they make more, I want to see old, patched eyed Indy now. No more Indy costume. He’s done enough in it. Time to be old man Indy and just be the guy that knows stuff. Let others do the action. That, or better yet, NO MORE! Be done. “Indiana…Let it go.”

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull **½ out of five stars.

Deak Starkiller
05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Good points Les, but I feel when you title the movie "Last Crusade" then maybe stick to the plan. I mean Indy literally rides off into the sunset, what more could you ask for?

EVILFACE
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think Last Crusade title had anything to do with it being a last movie.

customizerwannabe
05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Loved the movie, but it wasn't great. Very good I'd say. Indie's fighting prowess was a bit hard to believe in the previous movies but it's just totally unbelievable here. Same stock formula for an Indy movie which makes it a fun ride. A great nostalgia trip for those of us who saw the first Raiders in the theatre. It should definitely be Ford's last Indy ACTION movie. Let Shia take over. I think in a few more years he could make a plausible Indy heir.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, given the basic overall opinion, I've decided to see this movie tomorrow rather than today or tonight. I see no need to rush out. I pretty much know what I'm in for. Maybe a fun Friday night crowd will help.

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I leave in 10 minutes. :rock

scubasteve
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM

It was a very clever title which is open to interpretation. I always saw it both ways. The literal "last Crusade" and the "last" Indy film (not anymore).

DarthNeil
05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
(fingers in ears)

I HATE YOU ALL!!!!...
running away from this thread in tears---:monkey2:monkey2

:banghead:banghead:banghead

Dusty
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
It was a very clever title which is open to interpretation. I always saw it both ways. The literal "last Crusade" and the "last" Indy film (not anymore).

It will forever, to me, be the last "Indy film" :cool: :banghead

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
So where's IRISH with his review?

Is he home, crying, throwing his new toys against the wall, yelling: WHY!? Damn you, Lucas. Damn you!

Or maybe he really liked it, and he's still in the theater for the 5th showing.

Come on, Irish, you're the Indiana Jones of the Indiana Jones section, so let's go -- let's hear it from you.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
So where's IRISH with his review?

Is he home, crying, throwing his new toys against the wall, yelling: WHY!? Damn you, Lucas. Damn you!

Or maybe he really liked it, and he's still in the theater for the 5th showing.

Come on, Irish, you're the Indiana Jones of the Indiana Jones section, so let's go -- let's hear it from you.

Maybe he's in the theater for the 5th showing yelling Why!? Damn you, Lucas!

He seemed to be committed to seeing it all weekend long, regardless of quality.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
There's a reason he hasn't chimed in... and I want to know.

Dusty
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Maybe he's in the theater for the 5th showing yelling Why!? Damn you, Lucas!

He seemed to be committed to seeing it all weekend long, regardless of quality.

Way to fund the machine :lol :google

Wetanut
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Just saw it. It was fun. Was not disappointed at all...but then, hadn't worked myself into a fever pitch of anticipation either. Really liked the understated homage to Marcus and Henry, Sr. Would've been nice to have seen some reference to Sallah as well. One of the minuses was Karen Allen. I'm sorry, but that gal is not that great an actress. In the original, she was young, feisty, and was blessed with great dialogue. Dialogue was not quite as clever this go around and she didn't have it to lean on. She was just kinda *there*, and the Indy/Marion interactions felt forced. And when in same frame with Cate....she practically disappeared.

Blackhole
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I liked it, it's different from the rest, but good different...

But I agree with everyone else...

"Indiana...let it go, Indiana..."

http://images.wikia.com/indianajones/images/3/3e/Henry_Jones.jpg

Deak Starkiller
05-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Well TOD was different too, in a good way. :(

SSC_Nerd
05-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, it sounded like in the last page that some people don't exactly know what a "crusade" was and how the title referred to it.

Anywho, the more I think about it, the more I actually do love this movie. Personally, I think that one of the main problems people may have with it is the fact that they didn't expect the movie to go THAT far out into left field. Sure, we expected it to have all the aliens and stuff, but we didn't exactly expect things to go as crazy as it did in the finale. As Indy fans, we knew we should stretch out imagination, but weren't expecting to have stretch it that far. In the other movies, things were very much grounded in reality. There were only a few moments in each movie that deal with actual supernatural stuff. Most of the time it was just big it-could-really-happen action. In KOTCS, there were a lot more occurences of "weird" stuff, and we wanted the older balance. Most of us, myself including, are pretty peeved that they didn't have more practical effects. While the effects were well don, you can still tell what isn't real. It all may look better on a smaller screen. The overabundance of CG with the jungle chase and the "finale" were far more than we were expecting.

Also, I think people were expecting a bit much from a 19 year hiatus. This wasn't meant to be the single greatest movie of all time or anything. It was just meant to be a big fun movie like the others, and nothing more. It was built to feel like that big fun 2 hour action packed movie of the week like they were back in the day.

But honestly, if ya sleep on it and give it time, I think you'll like it more and more.

Dusty
05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
But honestly, if ya sleep on it and give it time, I think you'll like it more and more.

I actually think it may work out the other way - ala Phantom Menace. That some people saying they liked it will sleep on it and discover that their minds have been playing tricks on them due to their Indy nostalgia. Like being drugged.

I freely admit that happened to me with TPM. Now I'm older and wiser enough to catch and halt the symptoms early with this one ;) I found myself trying to convince myself that I liked it up until about halfway through, even though I knew from the first scene with Indy that it wasn't that great... then it just went downhill from there. And the more I think about it and sleep on it, the less and less I like any part of it that I even remotely liked at the screening.

Obviously everyone is different, so no one is saying anything about you personally for liking it - hope this thread can keep it civil and not break down into flame wars due to passion! Hell, I like X-Men 3 for goodness' sake :lol :duff

Deak Starkiller
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM

See below.

And my thoughts exactly.

Deak Starkiller
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgment, that's the easy pass for this movie. I'd say Episode I is better than KOTCS. That's right, I said it.

SSC_Nerd
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I actually think it may work out the other way - ala Phantom Menace. That some people saying they liked it will sleep on it and discover that their minds have been playing tricks on them due to their Indy nostalgia. Like being drugged.

I freely admit that happened to me with TPM. Now I'm older and wiser enough to catch and halt the symptoms early with this one ;) I found myself wanting to like it, even though I knew from the first scene with Indy that it wasn't that great... then it just went downhill from their with me. And the more I think about it and sleep on it, the less and less I like any part of it that I even remotely liked at the screening.

Obviously everyone is different, so not saying anything about you personally for liking it - hope this thread can keep it civil and not break down into flame wars due to passion! Hell, I like X-Men 3 for goodness' sake :lol :duff

I guess it really could be different from person to person, I can't deny that.:o
Well, I guess ya just gotta take it for what it it really is. The thing with Star Wars though, since he was dealing with prequels, he had to show the start of this big epic story that he already created. People can jsut be unhappy with those movies so much easier than KOTCS since you may dissapoint someone who thought the beginning would be so much more awesome or epic. KOTCS was just a continuation, nothing more, and the stories aren't even dependant on each other. But like it may come down to most hyped movies, people were just expecting more.

Yeah, people getting uncivil can ruin anything. Thankfully, it's been pretty cool so far. Sure there have been mean comments concerning the movie, but at least no shots at another persons opinion on it.

Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgment, that's the easy pass for this movie. I'd say Episode I is better than KOTCS. That's right, I said it.

Nope, I actually really like the movie, and it was because I slept on it that I liekd it even more.

Deak Starkiller
05-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Fair enough, agree to disagree.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 04:22 PM

I freely admit that happened to me with TPM. Now I'm older and wiser enough to catch and halt the symptoms early with this one ;)

I 100% agree with ya Dusty...

Hell, I like X-Men 3 for goodness' sake :lol :duff

Until I read that... :monkey4 :lol

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 04:31 PM
The remainder of Summer now rests solely in Batman's hands.

Entropy
05-22-2008, 04:33 PM
The remainder of Summer now rests solely in Batman's hands.

Hellboy will rock too I reckon.

TheObsoleteMan
05-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Just got back, and I thought it was a blast. Yeah, it was silly at times, but in a good way, not like TPM. I won't bother ranking it against the old flicks, I'll just say it was a fun Indy adventure and a good capper (hopefully) to the series.

Oh, I have to make special mention of Cate Blanchett, she was a wonderful villain, right up there with Belloq. She was also stunning to look at. When they do a close up on her, her eyes are spectacular.

Kabukiman
05-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I liked it, but I'm not going to sit and argue why I did and others did not.

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 05:07 PM

I freely admit that happened to me with TPM. Now I'm older and wiser enough to catch and halt the symptoms early with this one ;)

Actually, I think this will be the exact opposite. It's a very flawed movie (and probably the weakest in the franchise, which disappoints me)... but I do think those of you who completely hate it will soften a bit in time, wheras the prequels have the opposite effect. There is enough here that makes it much easier to digest upon multiple viewings, which I've already experienced.

It might be the Anti-TPM in that regard.

The script was weak, weak, WEAK. That's one thing that repeated viewings won't forgive.

But OMG Lucas is going to seem like Nostradamus thanks to some of the reactions we're witnessing here. :lol

Gruff Old Bear
05-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Like I said many pages ago, your mileage may vary. :D

Y'know, another element to this -- why people who don't like it are reacting like somebody shot their dog -- is that it isn't just Spielberg, Ford, Lucas, and Allen who've aged. We're not the same moviegoers we were when Raiders came out, and in the passing years we've come to feel an ownership of these characters (which is a good thing for Sideshow). It's hard to view something new with fresh eyes if we're hoping it will rekindle something old, and we're not even the same as we were back when that flame first sparked.

Maybe I liked KOCS because I was never out-of-this-world in love with the old films, I just liked them. They were never something I put on a pedestal. I don't even really remember the second one except that it was noisy. I think I only saw it once, in the theater. A lot of the comments I've read make me want to watch the DVD now.

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Y'know, another element to this -- why people who don't like it are reacting like somebody shot their dog -- is that it isn't just Spielberg, Ford, Lucas, and Allen who've aged. We're not the same moviegoers we were when Raiders came out, and in the passing years we've come to feel an ownership of these characters (which is a good thing for Sideshow).

You know what? Everyone was so worried about Harrison Ford's age making it not feel like a true INDY movie when it turns out it is probably Spielberg and Lucas' aging that actually had that affect on the movie. Seriously, the banter between characters and the action scenes were what truly disappointed me. This was LOST WORLD Spielberg, unfortunately.

Dusty
05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
The script was weak, weak, WEAK. That's one thing that repeated viewings won't forgive.

Why would I want to pay for repeat viewings of a story that is weak and pallid in comparison to the others (and not just other Indy films, but other films in general) that I can repeatedly watch on DVD for free? :confused: And please don't say because the CGI monkeys, crystal skull, and crazy, unexplained Peruvian ninjas look better on the big screen :lol

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
You don't have to. You don't even have to watch the movie ever again. That's up to you.

I still think that most who do will lessen some of the venom over time, though.

That said, I stand behind my assertion that this movie is the Anti-Prequels. But this time we're getting the hyperbole from the negative side upon its intial release.

Dusty
05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
You don't have to. You don't even have to watch the movie ever again. That's up to you.

I still think that most who do will lessen some of the venom over time, though.

That said, I stand behind my assertion that this movie is the Anti-Prequels. But this time we're getting the hyperbole from the negative side upon its intial release.

:lol Chill. I'm not venomous at all, and I don't think anyone REALLY is. Those who didn't like it simply didn't enjoy the film - at all. I will never see it again unless it's on accident because someone has it playing at their house, just like any normal film I don't like. It doesn't make me hate Indiana Jones or Lucas or anyone. It was just not a very good attempt at *filmmaking* in general - regardless of whether Indy is involved or not, and I will from now on, personally think of The Last Crusade as the last "Indy" movie. On exiting the theater, I could only think about returning home to watch a good movie in order to restore my faith in adventure once again. That movie happened to be Raiders (twice :lol) because I hadn't watched it in like 5 years and wanted to see if it really IS that good, or if I had just imagined it and it was actually more like Crystal Skull. I found out that it really IS that good and faith was restored :duff

Mostly I just like arguing :D

Entropy
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I love me some crazy, unexplained Peruvian ninjas :lol

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I have no idea why, but I actually enjoyed the Monkeyboy Mutt sequence. I have absolutely no reason to like it, but I just do for some reason.

The Cemetary dudes and the disposable Ugha Warriors, though.... oy.

And I will say this: I actually like the crystal skull itself and that whole element of the movie. In fact the McGuffin might be the most satisfying aspect of the movie for me. But then, I've always been one of those Chariots of the Gods wackos. :lol

teemu
05-22-2008, 06:24 PM
did you see the atomic bomb go off in the film??? thats exactly how we can rate this film
AN ATOMIC BOMB!!!

Vader AL
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
great, haven't seen it yet but now i know there are ninjas in it...."no spoliers"!!!!

:D

just got back from seeing Iron Man though. :rock :rock

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
:lol There aren't actually ninjas.

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
did you see the atomic bomb go off in the film??? thats exactly how we can rate this film
AN ATOMIC BOMB!!!

I thought you were joking about not liking it. I would have thought that this movie would be right up your alley. Hell I even thought you would post a told yah so post. Please post what you didn't in the spoiler thread. I am dying to hear it now given your belief structure.

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Maybe he's disappointed that Indy wasn't revealed to be Lenin himself.

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Maybe he's disappointed that Indy wasn't revealed to be Lenin himself.

I am dying to know. He made a..... crap this is the non spoiler thread. :monkey2

teemu
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I thought you were joking about not liking it. I would have thought that this movie would be right up your alley. Hell I even thought you would post a told yah so post. Please post what you didn't in the spoiler thread. I am dying to hear it now given your belief structure.

Badmoon I cant go there! there is ALOT I didnt like about it (farfetched for one) but from a religous view and the real agenda of the film, I just wont go there here

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Badmoon I cant go there! there is ALOT I didnt like about it (farfetched for one) but from a religous view and the real agenda of the film, I just wont go there here

LOL! Fair enough! :duff

icruise
05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm glad I didn't read this thread before watching the movie. I'm not sure how much less "spoiler free" it could get. :lol

The movie was good, but also had a lot of problems. But the bottom line is that seeing the old characters on an adventure again was cool.

icruise
05-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Oh lord. What, pray tell, is the "real agenda" of the film?

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to hear this. It might actually make people appreciate it more. :lol

Religious view? There were no religious elements in this one. Or is that one of the things you don't like about it?

As for far-fetched... you have seen the original INDY movies, right?

DarthNeil
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM

Please don't go down that route...

Finally got a chance to see it. Was it great?... No. Was it good?... Yes.
It wasn't on the same level as Raiders, or Doom, or even Last Crusade--- but how would that have even been possible?

I stated as soon as the first trailer came out and we caught a glimpse of Cate Blanchett and Harrison Ford bumping cars in the jungle on the edge of a cliff that if the movie relied on CGI then it wouldn't be the way to go... Well, I think it's fair to say that the CGI scenes (besides the obvious commentary on certain characters and dialogue) were what took away from this movie.

My favourite scene?... Prof. Jones answering a student's question in the library... as he gets up from the floor and back on the motorcycle.

I enjoyed it... Happy where the hat went at the end.:D

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to hear this. It might actually make people appreciate it more. :lol

Religious view? There were no religious elements in this one. Or is that one of the things you don't like about it?

Teemu believes that Aliens are actually demons sent here by Satan. He also believes that Giants once ruled the Earth. He also believes that the government is poisoning us with flouride in our water supply.

BadMoon
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Please don't go down that route...

Finally got a chance to see it. Was it great?... No. Was it good?... Yes.
It wasn't on the same level as Raiders, or Doom, or even Last Crusade--- but how would that have even been possible?

I stated as soon as the first trailer came out and we caught a glimpse of Cate Blanchett and Harrison Ford bumping cars in the jungle on the edge of a cliff that if the movie relied on CGI then it wouldn't be the way to go... Well, I think it's fair to say that the CGI scenes (besides the obvious commentary on certain characters and dialogue) were what took away from this movie.

My favourite scene?... Prof. Jones answering a student's question in the library... as he gets up from the floor and back on the motorcycle.

Pretty much what I thought. It was good but just an average movie.

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM

That was a great juke-out by Spielberg & Co. How many people were ready to declare a Day of Rage when Shia first picked up the fedora? :lol

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Here still, a day later and I still stand by my original assertion. It was a fun movie and I really did enjoy it. I don't see it as blind fanboy rationalization, I learned my lesson on TPM. I knew what I was in for when I stepped into the theater, and my worries slowly melted away. It had it's weak points, but I still loved the movie.

It had me excited, laughing and interested throughout. Even the ending, it wasn't too much for me. I believe in Aliens and I love the Crystal Skull legend, it's something I have theories on as well. I honestly think that Irish is right, people will soften over time on this one. Once the anticipation wears off and they watch it objectively...

Dusty
05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
That was a great juke-out by Spielberg & Co. How many people were ready to declare a Day of Rage when Shia first picked up the fedora? :lol

See, now THAT'S letting personal Indy nostalgia get in the way of viewing the film as a whole... I was actually about to cheer (the only time in the film), when Shia was going to put it on. From an acting/interesting character stand-point, Shia far out-shined Harrison in this one - to me at least.

Jair
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Like I said many pages ago, your mileage may vary. :D

Y'know, another element to this -- why people who don't like it are reacting like somebody shot their dog -- is that it isn't just Spielberg, Ford, Lucas, and Allen who've aged. We're not the same moviegoers we were when Raiders came out, and in the passing years we've come to feel an ownership of these characters (which is a good thing for Sideshow). It's hard to view something new with fresh eyes if we're hoping it will rekindle something old, and we're not even the same as we were back when that flame first sparked.

Maybe I liked KOCS because I was never out-of-this-world in love with the old films, I just liked them. They were never something I put on a pedestal. I don't even really remember the second one except that it was noisy. I think I only saw it once, in the theater. A lot of the comments I've read make me want to watch the DVD now.

Wife and I just got back from an early matinee and I think Mister Gruff up top really explains the movie for me, I enjoyed it, it was a good summer popcorn flick...no it wasn't Raiders but I sat through it laughed at some of the jokes, cringed at a few more but really when can you really relive the first feelings you had watching Raiders. Script was a bit uneven, I had no problems with the overall theme of the movie, typical saturday morning serial stuff with bit of the modern thrown in. It had a few more "sure.....like they would have survived moments" then the other films but when has Indy ever been set in reality.

Loved seeing Marion again, Shia didn't bother me much and I thought Ray Winstone's character was a throw away and Cate was pretty good, even though her accent dropped through a few times.

Wife really enjoyed it but she has always been the bigger Indy fan then I, think the only part of the movie she didn't like was the overuse of the critters...

Compared to some other summer movies of the past few years though for shear enjoyability it was heads and shoulders above stuff like Transformers!

Evan

IrishJedi
05-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I was actually about to cheer (the only time in the film), when Shia was going to put it on. From an acting/interesting character stand-point, Shia far out-shined Harrison in this one - to me at least.
I would not disagree with that. I said it earlier... he actually played the better "Indy" of the two.

But I think much of the blame there lies with the script.

Seretur
05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I've worked until an hour ago, and then went to check the forums to see what the reaction to KOTCS is.

Boxofficemojo: They love it.

Spielbergfilms: They love it.

Homebase S&F: Unanimously love it.

SSF: Hate it.

What's wrong with you people?

Just remember your reaction to King Kong a couple of years ago. Seriously.

Nolocke
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM

I think we all know what the real agenda of this movie is :chew

Yogurt: Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower

http://www.geocities.com/robot_snake/merchandising.JPG

Lembas Eater
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I loved it. I'm not sure I was as excited about this movie as some were and I've been away from Indiana Jones for a long time and this brought it all back.

I was a also a big fan of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and thought the film hit on several notes of that, the fact that Indy had lived through history, witnessing several happenings (major and minor) of the 50s in KOTCS.

All the fun and danger, adventure and wisecracks were there. I thought it didn't miss a mark. At one point in the movie, I honestly thought "Thank you, George and Steve"!

stshammgod
05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I think I need to see it again to really geta feel for whether or not I love it. It was a good movie, but it seemed all over the place in terms of what type of movie it was trying to be.

teemu
05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Teemu believes that Aliens are actually demons sent here by Satan. He also believes that Giants once ruled the Earth. He also believes that the government is poisoning us with flouride in our water supply.

Ah Badmoon you remembered....aliens are fallen angels...inter-dimensional beings...noticed OX in the film called them that??? Yes, I believe Giants once roamed the Earth, as the Bible says so...they were from fallen angels interbreeding with human women and they were called the Nephilim!

the 13 Aliens, in the film, respresented the bloodline...the 13 bloodlines of the Illuminati and merged into a demi-god in Alien form (the elite believe they are gods or part of this Demonic Elite Race) anyways,I am leaving it at that lol :lol

Entropy
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
SSF: Hate it.

What's wrong with you people?

Obviously there are many SSFreaks with good judgment and discriminating taste! :duff :D

icruise
05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Ah Badmoon you remembered....aliens are fallen angels...inter-dimensional beings...noticed OX in the film called them that??? Yes, I believe Giants once roamed the Earth, as the Bible says so...they were from fallen angels interbreeding with human women and they were called the Nephilim!

the 13 Aliens, in the film, respresented the bloodline...the 13 bloodlines of the Illuminati and merged into a demi-god in Alien form (the elite believe they are gods or part of this Demonic Elite Race) anyways,I am leaving it at that lol :lol

That's a relief! I thought you were going to say something crazy!

teemu
05-22-2008, 07:09 PM

yes,I saw all the Indy movies (raiders hands down the best) but I dont think they were as farfetched as shia labuf swinging on vines (with monkeys) like tarzan...or how many times can you go down a rocky huge water fall without getting killed?? Indy, marion and mutt should of been killed about 15 times or more....How could Indy survived an atomic Bomb sitting in a refigerator!! lol lol lol

DarthNeil
05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
That's a relief! I thought you were going to say something crazy!

:rotfl:horror:rotfl

I just spat my beer all over my monitor... Thanks.:lol

BadMoon

How can I forget you my friend? :dunno Keep on truckin brother. :rock

DarkArtist81
Compared to some other summer movies of the past few years though for shear enjoyability it was heads and shoulders above stuff like Transformers!

THANK YOU! Finally, someone agrees with me on Transformers... Shia was the only good thing about it, well maybe Megan Fox.. But it was a mess of a film.

KOTCS was much better than that, I have to say. :duff

Dusty
05-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Just remember your reaction to King Kong a couple of years ago. Seriously.

What was the reaction? I've forgotten :o

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Technically, Indy swings on a vine in the beginning of RAIDERS.

Dusty
05-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Technically, Indy swings on a vine in the beginning of RAIDERS.

Was it CGI? Was he surrounded by hundreds of CGI monkeys? Did he swing from vine to vine like Tarzan?

And he'd been in the field for years - vine swinging is part of his life. Mutt's a high-school dropout mechanic who's never set food in a jungle in his life - just sayin' is all :p (Apologists will say that it must run in his blood... :lol)

The thing about past Indy's (and most really good adventure films) is that they make even the outlandish seem plausible. NOTHING in this film seemed plausible. Perhaps that can be blamed entirely on CGI and green screens, who knows. But it's also the fault of the shoddy script-writing. Meh, I'm done for now.

Newsletter's published, BTW (sorry for the delay, there were some scheduling/tech difficulties, leading me to while away the time on the board discussing KotCS ;))

Oh, and I UNAPOLOGETICALLY love Transformers... undebatable flaws and all. At least it had nearly flawless CGI and giant robot battles... and LOL-inducing slow-mo scenes of said battling robots :D

DarkArtist81
yes,I saw all the Indy movies (raiders hands down the best) but I dont think they were as farfetched as shia labuf swinging on vines (with monkeys) like tarzan...or how many times can you go down a rocky huge water fall without getting killed?? Indy, marion and mutt should of been killed about 15 times or more....How could Indy survived an atomic Bomb sitting in a refigerator!! lol lol lol

I'd say they were pretty far-fetched.... In Raiders, Indy was shot several times... he was drug behind a truck and UNDER it. He was beaten to a pulp, even hitched a ride on a U Boat for God knows how long with NO explanation.

In Doom, hearts were being ripped from people's chests while they remained alive. Mind control, jumping out of a plane with a blow up raft..

Crusade didn't have much craziness.

And spellcheck never hurt anybody bro... :lol

Dr.Mirakle32
But not carelessly on multiple vines, while simultaneously leading an army of CGI monkeys.

Wor-Gar
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Was it CGI? Was he surrounded by hundreds of CGI monkeys? Did he swing from vine to vine like Tarzan?

And he'd been in the field for years - vine swinging is part of his life. Mutt's a high-school dropout mechanic who's never set food in a jungle in his life - just sayin' is all :p

OUCH! My eyes! I haven't seen this yet! No spoilers please. :lol

icruise
05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
THANK YOU! Finally, someone agrees with me on Transformers... Shia was the only good thing about it, well maybe Megan Fox.. But it was a mess of a film.

Funny, when I was sitting in the theater watching KOTC, Shia's performance made me think that I should really watch Transformers again. Granted, there are issues with both films, but I personally would take Transformers over KOTC any day of the week. It may simply be a matter of expectations. I had low expectations for Transformers (and hate Michael Bay in general) so it seemed great. I really wanted Indy to be fantastic, and it was merely good.

thedarkknight
05-22-2008, 07:19 PM

I agree on Transformers. That movie was like was steel-towed kick in the groin. Ed Wood made better movies than that!

An old friend comes over every Saturday and we have movie night. Since Transformers, we now have new comparison for the lowest of the low. It used to be Glen or Glenda, but we can at least laugh at that one.

teemu
05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I'd say they were pretty far-fetched.... In Raiders, Indy was shot several times... he was drug behind a truck and UNDER it. He was beaten to a pulp, even hitched a ride on a U Boat for God knows how long with NO explanation.

In Doom, hearts were being ripped from people's chests while they remained alive. Mind control, jumping out of a plane with a blow up raft..

And spellcheck never hurt anybody bro... :lol

sure, I still think this one is the most far-fetched of the bunch....

carbo-fation
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Saw it tonight. It was alright, but def. the weakest of the bunch. Some scenes were pretty cheesy but the 'adventure' part of the movie was pretty fun. And Ford still looked good considering his age.

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 07:24 PM
sure, I still think this one is the most far-fetched of the bunch....

I still think it is too, but I think that depends on your stance on Aliens... and if you think they are too "fake" to be part of the Indiana Jones storyline.

And yeah,Transformers... while an ok popcorn flick.. worthy of maybe 2-3 viewings.. it was not a classic in any way, not something I will watch over and over again into my golden years. But this Indy film will be, at least to me.

Dusty
05-22-2008, 07:27 PM

SPOILERS!!
If you are HONESTLY comparing those to surviving ground zero of a nuclear blast in a refrigerator - not only surviving, but walking away unscratched... I... I... well, I actually have no idea what allegory to use here, I'm that speechless... :google

Now I must go home and watch some Battlestar (or Colbert Report :lol) to clear my mind :wacky

DarkArtist81
05-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, I agree Dusty... that was pretty crazy. But it just didn't bother me at all. I've always seen the Indy films as action adventure fantasies. They are meant to be almost unbelievable.

And besides, bombs weren't as strong back then and refrigerators were built better in those days. ;)

And man, stepping into this thread with a positive feeling about this movie is hard... I guess my Rocky Avatar is pretty accurate, feel like I just went 10 rounds with Apollo Creed. :lol

icruise
05-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, it was a lead lined refrigerator. :lol

The thing about that scene is that it really had no connection to anything. They could have easily left it out and the movie might have seemed a tad less far fetched.

phoenixram1977
05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I can deal with The Ark Of The Covenant releasing the spirits, a man ripping the beating heart of a man who is screamin' and The Holy Grail saving Indy's dad. But, for some reason I could'nt stand watching the ending to this one. I don't know why, but for me the ending ruined the movie entirely!! Maybe a more subtle ending, that leaves the audience wondering, would have been satifying for me? Don't know?:(