UPN announces Enterprise cancellation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Covad1

UPN announces Enterprise cancellation
Posted on Thr, 3-Feb-2005

We heard rumblings overnight that "Enterprise" may be about to be given the chop - and seems those reports were right. The cast and crew of the "Star Trek" series are now, officially, out of work.

UPN has issued a press release declaring the Enterprise's final voyage this May. The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

"Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and ENTERPRISE has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, UPN. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

David Stapf, President of Paramount Network Television, said, "The creators, stars and crew of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE ambitiously and proudly upheld the fine traditions of the STAR TREK franchise. We are grateful for their contributions to the legacy of TREK and commend them on completing nearly 100 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes. All of us at Paramount warmly bid goodbye to ENTERPRISE, and we all look forward to a new chapter of this enduring franchise in the future."

It's more than likely that series star Scott Bakula will jump ship - excuse the literal pun - to the new "Quantum Leap" redo.

Knew this was coming, but still...

I've really enjoyed the last season and this season of Enterprise. Like so many genre shows (or really ANY new show), it takes a couple of years for it to find its "legs". This one finally did, and I think it's really good! And then, as per usual, it gets cancelled.

Ah, well. No new Trek on tv. I guess that franchise has finally run its course.

Time to break out the DS9 dvds (which is, IMHO, the BEST Trek!). :banana :dance

Yeah, the last season is a big improvement, but it's too little to late. I feel Rick Berman and Brannon Braga destroyed Star Trek and hope to see them go far away from anything Trek related. Enterprise was a dying animal that needed to be put out of it's and our misery. Best to start fresh with some new blood and some new ideas some where down the road.
I hope they run some of Enterprise in syndication, I missed so many new episodes this season because of the stupid move to Friday nights.
:bang

DSN was good, it found it's way there in the last few seasons, but the Best Trek in my opinion is TNG. :rock

Have to say that I've actually enjoyed watching it this season. But almost didn't bother because of the first 3.

I think we'll something Trek in a couple of years though - most likely theatrically rather than a series.

I really enjoy Enterprise and am mad to see it cancelled.:bang

I also enjoyed Voyager.

DS9, could not really get into it, gave it up fairly early.

NG, It was good on its first run, but would not watch a rerun.

Original Series, grew up on it! My father left the family when I was 4, and Kirk became my father figure (funny huh). I can watch the reruns anytime.

Anybody now about any future series or movies?

I kinda dont mind it beeing canned. I didnt like the new approach at all. It allready started with the new intro. Who the hell let Rod Steward sing the intro?? The show itself was not that great either. I hope the new show which we will prob see (given the massive complaints about this news by star trek fans) is gonna be better and returns to its old format.

Too bad...I've watched all seasons, all Star Trek variations, etc. I like them...usually don't watch reruns, but I don't watch reruns at all anyway. Well, just one less show for me to have to watch now...Sci-Fi channel has the big line-up on Fridays also, wonder if that also hurt Enterprise. :dunno

I was really disappointed to hear about Enterprise being cancelled. I watched the pilot when it first aired and then bailed out, but came back at the beginning of last season and have really enjoyed the show. I'm a die hard fan of the original series, casual Next Gen fan, never got into DS9 or Voyager, and am a huge Babylon 5 fan - which is why I kinda steered clear of Enterprise in the first place - but of all of the recent Trek series, I think that Enterprise really did it right, despite Rick Berman's involvment.

Rumor has it that there is a new feature film in the works that takes place between Enterprise and the Original Series, dealing with the formation of the Federation - which we caught a glimpse of in last week's Enterprise.

Hmm, I think, for me, part of the problem with "Enterprise" (and might be a problem for the movie you mention, Mark) is that it's difficult to go "back" in an anthologized/serial type progression of series like Star Trek. It's part of the problem I've had with Lucas going back and doing <ahem> parts I, II, and III in Star Wars (well, not the ONLY problem, but Hayden Christiansen is at least going to morph into Darth in this next installment... but that's another thread!).
:banana

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Enterprise, and have enjoyed this season quite a bit. However, what I have felt and others may have stayed away because of is that I don't necessarily want to spend so much time finding out how things came about when a summary or flashback will do in a show that's set in its naturally-progressed "present". I like the defenses of the ships in Next Gen and DS9. I don't necessarily want to watch a Star Trek show where the ship gets its ass whipped in every episode because they had crappy hull plating for shielding. (Am I putting my point across? It's hard to desccribe what I mean...) :dunno :lol

Bring me the "future" Future and keep it coming!! :toast

I think I understand where you're coming from Migwit, but I really like that pre-history feel. That's what's so brilliant about Smallville - if you know where it's going, the journey is more interesting.

But Enterprise never tried to do that until this year. The previous seasons were trying to create a new mythology that only tangentially related to other Trek. But this season they've gone all out to make it more of a prequel series.

I don't have as much a problem with the pre-history stuff either. what I didn't like about Enterprise was the whole Time travel stuff went on for ever. They stretched it thin throughout the first couple of seasons, and it got boring after awhile. I don't think any other Trek harped on about the same thing as much as Enterprise did. The whole Borg thing in TNG didn't go on and on from one episode to the next, it was just sprinkled throughout the series and didn't fell like the focus of the show.
Another problem I had with Enterprise was the acting. I felt that T'pol wasn't acting like a Volcan most of the time, And Archer was usually always pissed at something, Also the show didn't have much of a sense of humor or any light hearted moments in it. The new season is getting better, but to bad it's a little late.

I felt that T'pol wasn't acting like a Volcan most of the time, And Archer was usually always pissed at something,

She had that poisoning thing happen at some point that made her more emotional. Also, she is around just humans and trying to fit in more. Kirk often accused Spock of letting his human side show through. Just depends on the person...people would act different in different environments to be accepted...all people aren't the same...not should 1 Vulcan be like every other Vulcan.

Archer...maybe he just was sick of the time travel and thought it was Quantum Leap all over again.

With reality TV shows out there costing next to nothing to make, its getting really hard to compete when you air expensive, traditional shows. That said, i don't feel that Enterprise ever really had the kind of support it needed to be a success.

Good point, yeah the reality shows could be what helped to do in Enterprise. another might be UPN's newly found success with Veronica Mars. Last nights show was great. My favorite character from Enterprise is Shran and he's been in quite a few of the new episodes that he's almost a regular.
And welcome to Sideshow Collectors General Ceel!
:wilkommen

Welcome Creel - really like the design of your board. I might be asking for some tips.

I love Veronica Mars, but she's not exactly burning up the ratings. UPN doesn't know what it wants to be and the ratings show that. Fox didn't really get out of the 4th network gutter until American Idol. UPN has a long way to go, but they aside from putting Enterprise on Fridays where it was sure to die, they have given it a lot of chances. More than Fox does with any Quality show; like Keen Eddie, Firefly, or Wonderfalls.

GO BUY YOUR WONDERFALLS DVD SET NOW!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Welcome Creel - really like the design of your board. I might be asking for some tips.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks. We actually plan on having it redesigned within the week as we are gearing up for the arrival of episode iii.

-Ceel

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>TNG was the last real Trek show IMO. The rest have been just BAD....<hr></blockquote>

What was wrong with Voyager? I personally thought it had the same spirit and sense of adventure that TNG had.

I didn't watch it too much, but DS9 was pretty good in the last few seasons. But I'd have to say that this season of Enterprise is better than either DS9 or Voyager.

Back