Anyone know the difference between monkeys and guerillas?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

big al

Been having another of our daily disputes at work, me and my girlfriend (who did a degree, some of which about animals) say the difference between monkeys and guerillas is that apes have opposable thumbs, no tails and use tools to help them survive, such as rocks to open nuts and things,
Been looking for a website but cant really find anything of any use!
Any help please as the guy im arguing with is the most stubburn bloke, and really needs it in writing to believe it!
:p

Re: Anyone know the difference between monkeys and guerillas

Check his hands before arguing in future.

There are differences, but I think the ones you mention apply to both species, other than the tails.

Guerillas are bigger, with angrier faces, like King Kong!!

Re: re

yup size and tails is the first things that comes to mind...oh but dosn't it always end up like that

Hey Al,
Having worked with exotic animals for almost 10 years, well... until I broke my wrist.:\ Anyway, I feel qualified to answer this one!

Firstly, a monkey is a primate and a guerilla is a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment. Or are they the same in Britain?! :p :lol

The Great Apes are Chimps, Gorillas and Orangutans. The Lesser Apes are Gibbons and Siamangs. They do not have tails. However, neither do some monkeys, like Macaques.

A monkey known as a Capuchin (the organ-grinder monkey) is the smartest monkey, and some claim that they are as smart as chimps. They are extremely adept at using tools- a lot of primates are. In fact, many animal species use tools- not just primates.

Most monkeys have opposable thumbs. Baboons, for example, have great hands and can pick little bits of grains and seeds from their grassy stalks.

When it comes to actual classification of various animal species (taxonomy), it is all in the skeletal differences. And in fact, the most conclusive difference between apes and monkeys is in the wrist. Apes have carpal bones and wrist action, pretty much identical to ours. It is the wrist that gives the apes great dexterity of their fingers and thumbs. That gives them a most precise grip- far superior to monkeys!

Other skeletal differences include the length of forearms- longer in apes. Apes "knuckle-walk" and move more up-right. Monkeys walk more similarly to dogs. Considering this, take a look at the way their chest is shaped. Apes are more barrel-chested like a human. Monkeys are more narrow chested, because of their quadrapedal form of locomotion. (How's that for big words?! :lol )

Does that help?

sam

Firstly, a monkey is a primate and a guerilla is a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment.

You'd have to go and beat me on that post Sam... :lol

And in fact, the most conclusive difference between apes and monkeys is in the wrist.

The irony of you injury and knowledge on this topic is not missed.

I learnt something new today. Thanks. :bow :bow :bow

The irony of you injury and knowledge on this topic is not missed.
Holy Cow! It was missed on me, though! :lol
I broke my wrist at work, closing a divider gate for Maned Wolves. My left wrist I broke as a kid- thrown off a horse. I must have monkey wrists!
piss.gif

I've worked with all of the ape species, and can tell some pretty incredible stories!!! Never underestimate the other animals that share this planet. My words of wisdom for the day! :speech

Guerillas? I thought it was Gorillas?
Maybe only aussies spell iit like that or something...

lol HE.

Guerrilla: a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment

:rollin

re

Guerrilla: a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment
So... apart from the fact that he's unarmed, our pal Smaug is actually a guerrilla ;) :lol

About six inches!!!

re

Hey Sam, Yeah i read it, was very informative,
Thanks to the 2 out of 16 who actually helped out with the problem! lol :lol
Am sure i'll be here again next week with a new problem for you lot to sort out for me!
Hope ic an return the favour someday!
:p

Back