Did I just get an AP Stone Trolls?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppet pusher

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Today I happily brought home my latest acquisition: the Stone Trolls environment!!!

I got it for a good price--mostly because it doesn't have a box. The seller got it from someone who worked at Sideshow and said it was something never intended for sale. The paint application looks just like the production versions I've seen on eBay, but with mine, only the left Troll has a pin in the base to hold him up. The other two have no holes in their feet and no pins in the base. Also, there is no printing on the felt bottom of the base.

I've done a bit of research by looking through ToyTracker, but now I'm throwing this question out to you guys to see if you can shed some light: Has anyone heard of the Stone trolls being available without the printed information on the felt base and only the one pin? Is it possible that I've gotten an Artist's Proof?

--Chris

Last edited:
not an Artist Proof but more like a Pre-production sample.

i think even pre-production has a felt bottom. this may be one never intended to see the light of day. maybe an artist's or employee's personal sample?

i think even pre-production has a felt bottom. this may be one never intended to see the light of day. maybe an artist's or employee's personal sample?

It has felt just no printing on the felt. But yea either sounds like some sort of sample (a better question for SS then us) or it's a copy (fake).

Jesse

Send it to me and I'll do some verification testing on it for you.:joy:google

Unfortunately, that does entail chewing off of a bit of the base and troll. Nothing you'll notice terribly. At least, not in dim lighting!

I haven't removed my trolls for some time but seemed to remember that at least two of them had no holes in feet ....the environment base just had a cutout for their feet, etc..sorta like a puzzle going together

and the trolls are very heavy (solid polystone perhaps?) compared to other SS/Weta LOTR statues.

Just got mine today and they are sweet....

They look great FS!

In reference to my initial question, could you tell me if all three of your trolls have pins in the base to plug into and if not, which ones do?

Thanks... and enjoy your three new best friends!

They look great FS!

In reference to my initial question, could you tell me if all three of your trolls have pins in the base to plug into and if not, which ones do?

Thanks... and enjoy your three new best friends!

Sure. There is a total of 3 pegs in the base, one for each troll..:D

LOTRFan,

I thought I read that you have an AP of the Stone Trolls--am I correct? And with three pins, you say...
What about the bottom felt--is there any printing on it?

I took photos of mine yesterday and I will post them tonight.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Yes, I have every reason to believe that my Trolls are APs, but the kicker is that the felt has been removed (it was severly damaged) from the bottom and I replaced it myself. After removing the felt I noticed that it said AP on the bottom, and the product box was unnumbered.

Yes, I have every reason to believe that my Trolls are APs, but the kicker is that the felt has been removed (it was severly damaged) from the bottom and I replaced it myself. After removing the felt I noticed that it said AP on the bottom, and the product box was unnumbered.

Wow, never knew you had to remove the felt from the bottom to see if AP is written down underneath it! :confused:

*Polylord runs through his collection, removing felt wherever he sees it just to check on AP's* :horror

Back