I've Had My Indy Cherry Popped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So, before today, I was an Indy virgin, which I know is like sacrilege around here :lol, but, growing up, if it wasn't similar to Star Wars or Godzilla, it had little to know appeal to me, and by the time I was interested in Indy, I had no way to watch it without spending a fair ammount of money on the DVD set which is a tough call to make when you don't know how you'll feel about it. So, thankfully to hype Indy 4, they've released the DVDs again, this time making the individual films available so I picked up Raiders of the Lost Ark today.

So, here's what a 25 year old takes from his first viewing of Indy.

1. Indiana Jones himself is a very entertaining character. I found him to be like Han Solo and Captain Jack Sparrow rolled into one. He had the wit and bravada of Han Solo, while seeming to know what he's doing while it looks like he has not clue what he's doing and making it all up as he goes, like Jack Sparrow. Probably why I liked him so much, as I'm a big fan of Han and Jack. The Han Solo in Indy really shows in the way he bahaved with Marion, very much like Han treats Princess Leia.

2. Once again, John Williams adds a perfect score to a film. While I do like the Indy theme music, I acutally found some of the pieces aside from that a bit more interesting. There was a definite connection to Star Wars music; I found some parts of the score to feel like parts of the OT Star Wars scores, and that's natural as they were both at the same point in Williams' career and I'm sure he had favor for certain styles of music and such so his works of the time would share a common sound.

3. Indiana Jones is an adult's Goonies, even though Indy came first, I find there's a strong similarity between the two. Spielberg's participation in The Goonies is even more noticeable now that I've seen Indy.

4. Marion is the cooler LFL chick. Leia and Padme are both beauties of their time and strong women, but neither of them would be having a drink while in the midst of a bar fight :lol She was one cool, tough woman and not a bad looker either, and she still looks nice in KOTCS stills I've seen.

Those are just some highlight points I took away from my first viewing, definitely need to watch it multiple times though, having read through the boards here, I think I focused too much on waiting for certain things and didn't pick up everything else along the way, like I kept waiting to see Wor-Gar's avatar part of the movie haha. I'm sure it's been pointed out, but did you guys realize the guy who plays Dr. Octopus in Spider-Man 2 was the guy in the gave with Indy at the beginning of the movie? Kinda weird, I didn't recognize his voice at first but "his fez was familiar" :lol (Austin Powers joke for anyone that gets that).

Entertaining movie, look forward to catching KOTCS, figure seeing Raiders is enough to follow KOTCS, don't want to spend money on 2 and 3 on DVD when someday I'll just get the Blu Rays. More anxious to get Sideshow's figure now. Oh, and really enjoy a lot of Family Guy references now that I've seen the source material, :lol

Congrats on finally seeing one of the top 10 movies of all time! I recorded these on my DVR this weekend in HD. Can't wait to watch them, even though they'll have commercials. :rock

BADASS. So glad you finally cracked and watched Raiders. It's only THE greatest action adventure film of all time, it deserves multiple viewings. I've grown to love it more and more over the years. I even wrote a college review essay on it. Indy rocks. Just wait until you see Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade, those are great as well. Especially Temple. :rock

Yeah, Indy Rocks! His character is great because he has just enough of a plan that when he has to make it up it works. He also has enough of everything that Indy is a perfect character. Glad you enjoyed them Sean.

like I kept waiting to see Wor-Gar's avatar part of the movie haha.

:lol

Come on though, greatest movie villain death ever! Melting while screaming -- you can even hear the gurgling as his own dripping flesh fills his mouth!

Glad you liked it. I was afraid, after years of talking about it, maybe your expectations were too high. At least it stills plays.

Come on though, greatest movie villain death ever! Melting while screaming -- you can even hear the gurgling as his own dripping flesh fills his mouth!

Glad you liked it. I was afraid, after years of talking about it, maybe your expectations were too high. At least it stills plays.

I was actually surprised by that, as much as by today's movies it's a mild scene, it seems edgy for Spielberg in the 80's, but it was quite cool.

Fortunately, I had no expectations walking into this, I really didn't even have a sense of what Indy was about, so I went it with sheer curiousity and was rewarded.

I can remember watching that scene as a kid and being like "How the F did that guy get his mouth open that wide?" LOL! It was never as big as I thought.

Oh and for all of you douches---->Thats what she said. :lol

So will you preorder the SSC figures?

I've got Indy himself on PO, I'll have to judge what others come along as they do. My collection really leans towards the eccentric, outside of treasured characters like Rambo, most of my stuff is either wild Sci-Fi costumes or elaborate old age things like LOTR and Pirates of the Caribbean. With the every rising price of collectibles, I think Indy will be a property I enjoy watching, but outside of Indy himself, I probably won't buy many collectibles.

Now you gotta at least rent Temple of Doom and the Last Crusade. Its still early enough Blockbuster and everywhere else should still have them in stock. Next week would be crazy though.

Last Crusade is my favorite of the three actually. I mean the are looking for the Grail of Grails, THE Holy Grail!

Also, Temple of Doom actually takes place BEFORE Raiders, chronilogically :lecture

Now you gotta at least rent Temple of Doom and the Last Crusade. Its still early enough Blockbuster and everywhere else should still have them in stock. Next week would be crazy though.

Last Crusade is my favorite of the three actually. I mean the are looking for the Grail of Grails, THE Holy Grail!

Also, Temple of Doom actually takes place BEFORE Raiders, chronilogically :lecture

I have to drive almost 40 minutes to find a Blockbuster, that's partly why I've had to wait, and my local town rental placed closed several years ago before I got the urge to check Indy out. Maybe I'll signup for Netflix.

I have to drive almost 40 minutes to find a Blockbuster, that's partly why I've had to wait, and my local town rental placed closed several years ago before I got the urge to check Indy out. Maybe I'll signup for Netflix.

Never seen an Indy movie? Lame! Lame! Lame! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!

That is the Master Chief by the way and no way BadMoon. :lecture

HIGHLY recommend it. I'd say Netflix it. At the very least you would pay the $5 signup and not cancel after a month. And you would be treated to some of the coolest films ever.

Temple is my second favorite, after Raiders. But I am twisted and evil, and it is the most twisted and evil Indy film. The spike room scene is classic enough to justify a viewing. And I GUARANTEE you won't forget Mola Ram.

Crusade is great too, Connery spices that one up a lot. But it's still my least favorite of the bunch. Not enough tomb action for me.

You must live out in the boonies then! No Red Box at a McDonalds? No Grocery Store video store? Any friends?

I personally love Blockbuster.com because I can exchange for a video in the store with one of the enveloped videos, but since you don't have that luxury, Netflix may indeed be the way to go for you.

But you gotta at least see the Last Crusade. Heck, you can't go wrong with a James Bond as Indy's Dad. :duh

You must live out in the boonies then! No Red Box at a McDonalds? No Grocery Store video store? Any friends?

Indeed. All of my good friends are from college and live over an hour east or west of me :lol, I really need to move haha.

Back