PDA

View Full Version : What if Indy dies?

Michael Crawford
05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
I've been pondering this lately. Odds are awfully good that this is our last true Indy film. While I think Ford can pull it off this time, he's not coming back in a couple years or more to do another. Clearly, Lucas is hoping Mutt takes off, and they can continue the series using him. In fact, I'd be mighty surprised if a second film with Shia wasn't already being planned.

But how do you have Indy exit gracefully? Should he simply hang up the whip and settle down with Marion, or would you prefer a more heroic end?

It's a tough call. I think that done right, the death of Indy could be one of the greatest moments in film history. But the key here is 'done right'. Anything cheesy (and it would be so, so hard for them not to do it cheesy) would ruin it. Let's face it, Lucas did everything he could to ruin the once ultimate villain, Vader, I'm not sure I want to see what he and Speilberg would do to the ultimate hero, Indy, in a dramatic ending.

What do you think?

Kabukiman
05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't want there to be any closure for the character in this movie. This is just another one of his many adventures. Let Indy live on in the hearts and minds of the fans.

Darth Madden
05-08-2008, 07:15 AM
I say we see him in the old folks home with Marion playing canasta.. that would be a good ending for him. Just let him retire.

aussieinnyc
05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm with Kabukiman - I prefer characters I've invested in to have happy endings.

Crix
05-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I don't think they'll kill him off. Killing a character changes the way people see him (or her) when they go back and watch the previous movies. George Lucas doesn't like killing his characters off because of this. I heard Harrison really pushed to have Han Solo killed off in Return of the Jedi but Lucas refused because he wanted to keep things fun, not depressing. So I don't think he'll ever kill off Indiana Jones, cause Indy = fun (and adventure!)

I wouldn't say that he ruined Vader really. I think what happened was that he created this character of Vader that was supposed to be pure evil and tragic, but then fans unexpectedly started worshipping him. Lucas is very wholesome and is always worried about how his movies will affect children if you listen to his commentary, so I think the reason he did what he did with Anakin was because that's what he always intended Vader to be, not the super-badass image that the fans bestowed on him.

EVILFACE
05-08-2008, 07:18 AM
If he dies, he dies.

Shai
05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I Sure hope they kill him.

bagelsncheesey
05-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Then he'll be dead, like the rest of us will be one day. ;)

King Darkness
05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Nobody is getting out of this life alive.

The Josh
05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
If it can be done right and the other angle plays off well (Mutt Angle) then maybe as long as Spielberg is making the decision then it could. Not that I don't trust Lucas because I like what he did to Vader. He gave him something more than just some dude in a black suit I just wouldn't want him making this decision alone.

pixletwin
05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Every man dies... But not every man lives. :lecture

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Confirmed by Harrison Ford himself (and joked about by Lucas) in the EW article:

Indy does not die in KOTCS.

Okay, so I guess I had to make the font bigger? :huh

devilof76
05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
A heroic death for Indy would be the best possible ending for the films. What would royally screw it up is if he passed the mantle onto his son and they made more movies. If Indy is dead, then he's dead. That's it. Finit. The end.

And Lucas didn't screw up Vader. It made perfect sense. Every villain is a whiny-ass puss at heart. The bigger the villain, the bigger the puss.

KitFisto
05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
If Indy dies then IJ kills himself.

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
If Indy dies then IJ kills himself.

:lol

Confirmed by Harrison Ford himself (and joked about by Lucas) in the EW article:

:lecture

thedarkknight
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
If Indy dies and Jar-Jar doesn't, it proves there is no God.

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
If Indy dies and Jar-Jar doesn't, it proves there is no God.

... or it would have proven that George Lucas is the Anti-Christ.

KitFisto
05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
:lol

That's just a report to throw you off so you're surpised when his own son kills him.

The Josh
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM

Okay, so I guess I had to make the font bigger? :huh

Right we know that but I think Mike meant in the next Indy film if they do a next Indy film.

Shropt
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Isn't oldman Indy in the Young Indiana Jones series? So he can't die yet.

doesitmatter
05-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Lucas removed him from the dvds. That started the speculation that Indy WOULD die.

I don't think it will happen. They're marketing this movie as too light and fun to kill him off. If he was going to die, you'd see a LOT of "The Final Adventure" taglines.

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 08:25 AM

No, they removed the George Hall Old Indy scenes for the DVD release.

And I think the comments in EW made it pretty clear that they wouldn't be killing off Indy in ANY movie.

devilof76
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
And I think the comments in EW made it pretty clear that they wouldn't be killing off Indy in ANY movie.

Damn. That would have been epic.

Darthrazz
05-08-2008, 08:46 AM
No, they removed the George Hall Old Indy scenes for the DVD release.

Was there ever any explanation as to why Old Indy was removed?

DarkArtist81
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
They won't kill Indy. Besides, if they did do it... it would feel hokey and forced. Like the killed him just to settle it once and for all that this would be the LAST movie. And it would be stupid if they did anyway.

Blackhole
05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
You can't kill Indy...

Who will wear the fedora now???

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

devilof76
05-08-2008, 08:52 AM
They won't kill Indy. Besides, if they did do it... it would feel hokey and forced. Like the killed him just to settle it once and for all that this would be the LAST movie. And it would be stupid if they did anyway.

It would be stupid if they did it that way.

It would only be worth it if they did it for the right reason, and if they could figure out how, then it would be great.

Why is it so important that he live?

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Why is it so important that he die?

devilof76
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
It's not. I'm just being difficult. Who the hell could kill Indiana Jones?

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
True. I mean, if Mola Ram couldn't...

Blackhole
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Chuck Norris?

Michael Crawford
05-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Right we know that but I think Mike meant in the next Indy film if they do a next Indy film.

I meant this film - but I didn't mean I thought they were going to kill him. I just wanted to see what people thought they SHOULD do, not what they thought they were or weren't going to actually do.

We already know he doesn't die - we saw him in Young Indy at 93.

The Josh
05-08-2008, 09:15 AM

That's why I don't think it can be done correctly. There's just too much room to have it look crappy.

Why is it so important that he die?

I don't think anyone is saying it is. Just an interesting topic to discuss.

Chuck Norris?

That would make for an interesting battle. :lol

The Josh
05-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I meant this film - but I didn't mean I thought they were going to kill him. I just wanted to see what people thought they SHOULD do, not what they thought they were or weren't going to actually do.

We already know he doesn't die - we saw him in Young Indy at 93.

Shows my lack of being able to read then I suppose. :lol

Michael Crawford
05-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Nope, you have the right idea - somehow this turned into "are they going to kill Indy" rather than my intention of discussing how people here would like to see his end handled.

I'd forgot about them pulling the scenes from the DVD's - interesting, but I still don't think personally that they'd kill him. Lucas is certainly not a capable enough anything (producer/director/writer etc.) to pull of something like that, even with Speilberg's help. I still contend though that done right, it could be a moment that would live in cinema history much longer than KOTCS is likely to last.

As to why you'd kill him off? Other than the obvious psychological closure, and the truly heroic nature (I prefer my heroes dying the way they live, rather than tottering around forgetting their own name and crapping in a diaper), there could be a financial reason. Clearly, they want to make the transition from Indy to Mutt. Their wouldn't be a Mutt in this film if that wasn't the plan. Having Indy live might be the nail in the coffin of those plans however. As long as he does, fans will be less willing to accept a replacement. In fact, I think they'd be more willing to accept another actor in the role (ala James Bond) than accepting a new character like Mutt. However, kill him off (and do it the right way), and people might be more accepting of Mutt in future films. Just food for thought.

ProgMatinee
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I think he should fall into the Sarlac and then all the fan boys can pretend he escaped.

Seriously, regarding Mutt. If Indy dies trying to save him (even if its done sacrificial like) fans are going to hate the Mutt character. Similar to how here in Denver nobody ever forgave Brian Griese for throwing the interception that ended Terrell Davis' career.

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I think he should fall into the Sarlac and then all the fan boys can pretend he escaped.

:lol :lol :lol

devilof76
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Chuck Norris?

Maybe in a Chuck Norris joke. :lol

What a great idea! :rotfl

Captain Britain
05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm more concerned about the movie dying on its arse.

Darthrazz
05-08-2008, 10:02 AM

:lol:lol, maybe Dengar can save him!

zoid2323
05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
This whole thread is crazy Indiana Jones will never die.:D

doesitmatter
05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
In fact, I think they'd be more willing to accept another actor in the role (ala James Bond) than accepting a new character like Mutt.

Here I really disagree. I think one of the failures of Young Indiana Jones (and there are several) is that audiences didn't accept anyone else in the role. Even River Phoenix is hard to accept in TLC. There's never even been an animated series (although I'd love one) because the role is so identified with Ford.

If Mutt is given his own film, it'll be a new franchise. It won't be Indiana Jones at all.

The Monster
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Here I really disagree. I think one of the failures of Young Indiana Jones (and there are several) is that audiences didn't accept anyone else in the role. Even River Phoenix is hard to accept in TLC. There's never even been an animated series (although I'd love one) because the role is so identified with Ford.

If Mutt is given his own film, it'll be a new franchise. It won't be Indiana Jones at all.

If no Ford then why even waste the film!:D

Michael Crawford
05-08-2008, 11:30 AM

I can't agree on Young Indy. I think fans would have ate it up (and were very much prepared to do so when it came out) had it been more like Indy and less like a rather dry history lesson.

Lots of people, including hard core fans, have said this movie will fail because Ford is simply too old. So what that says is Indy can't be Indy unless he's Ford AND he's between the ages of 35 and 45. I ain't buying it. I do think it would be tremendously difficult for them to find the right person to do it, and they couldn't do it any time soon after KOTCS. But I think it's doable.

Mutt however...that's a different story. He's not his own character in the sense that he will forever be part of the Indiana Jones universe. Brendan Fraser's character in the Mummy films is very much a Indy rip off, but he's still his own character. But Mutt will forever be directly in Indy's shadow, always compared to his da...uh, Indy. It's going to be definitely tough.

Amanaman
05-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Indy will be frozen in carbonite.

Andy Bergholtz
05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
...Lots of people, including hard core fans, have said this movie will fail because Ford is simply too old. So what that says is Indy can't be Indy unless he's Ford AND he's between the ages of 35 and 45. I ain't buying it...

I don't buy it either, but not because I think re-casting the role is doable. I simply think those 'hard core fans' are wrong about this movie failing based on Ford's age.

I think placing another actor in the role would inevitably result in massive failure, no way that would be more accepted than continuing the franchise with a new character (in my humble opinion). It's not even remotely comparable to James Bond in my mind. Connery was Bond for less than 10 years before they swapped him out for another actor (and even then, the character wasn't even close to the iconic status that Indy has reached).

I honestly don't think it's been precedented, not as an accurate comparison anyway. One could almost compare the situation to replacing Christopher Reeve as Superman on the big screen, but that's also an inaccurate comparison for many reasons.

To the original point though, I don't think I'd like it if they killed him off, unless it was done REALLY well. Like how they killed Frodo off, lol. As opposed to say, Ripley, who's death really pissed me off. :)

I don't mind the idea of continuing stories with a new character, although I seeeeeriously don't think Shia has any potential to carry a franchise (let alone a single film) as a leading man. :huh

ProgMatinee
05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I think there's one way for Mutt to become "his own character" as you put it Michael and thats for him to actually split before the end of the film.

If he's a cool character and then leaves half way through the film to go on his own adventure, then I can see a spin off working.

But if they try to "hand the torch off" at the end of the film then I think Mutt is doomed to be an Indy wannabe.

thedarkknight
05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I think Indy will commit suicide when he finds out that Shia LeBouf is his son.

IrishJedi
05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
What if Indy drops a Cleveland Steamer on Spalko's chest?

(That's more likely than ever seeing him die onscreen)

Darthrazz
05-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Why kill off Indy? There's really no reason, like killing Captain Kirk off. No reason at all for that and the way he died was even worse. Some things just need to be left alone.

Michael Crawford
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I honestly don't think it's been precedented, not as an accurate comparison anyway. One could almost compare the situation to replacing Christopher Reeve as Superman on the big screen, but that's also an inaccurate comparison for many reasons.

I don't think either scenario has a precedent. Other characters being played by multiple people abound, but those characters were always more generic - Ford and Indy were more or less created at the same time. Yea, he has success as Han, but it was really Indy that made him a star, and he's never done anything since as iconic.

There is one situation that's almost identical though, but we haven't seen the result yet - Captain Kirk. Again you have an actor and a character that are pretty much completely identified with each other, and next year we'll see them try to replace that actor. We'll see how that goes.

The other scenario - Mutt taking over for Indy in his own franchise - is also unprecedented, as far as I can remember. Can anyone think of an example where an iconic character (Hell, any character) passes the torch to another character to take over the lead?

ProgMatinee
05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
In a sense it was done with the prequel SWs as a whole from the OT to the PT but also I feel like Liam dominated TPM and sorta handed over the torch to Ewan for AOTC and ROTS.

Also most definately Godfather I to Godfather II regarding Brando passing it to Al Pacino.

doesitmatter
05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't think either scenario has a precedent. Other characters being played by multiple people abound, but those characters were always more generic - Ford and Indy were more or less created at the same time. Yea, he has success as Han, but it was really Indy that made him a star, and he's never done anything since as iconic.

There is one situation that's almost identical though, but we haven't seen the result yet - Captain Kirk. Again you have an actor and a character that are pretty much completely identified with each other, and next year we'll see them try to replace that actor. We'll see how that goes.

The other scenario - Mutt taking over for Indy in his own franchise - is also unprecedented, as far as I can remember. Can anyone think of an example where an iconic character (Hell, any character) passes the torch to another character to take over the lead?

Same movie: Star Trek: Generations. I'm also reminded of Roberto Begnini in Son of the Pink Panther but thatw as made after Peter Sellers' death.

Andy Bergholtz
05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
There is one situation that's almost identical though, but we haven't seen the result yet - Captain Kirk. Again you have an actor and a character that are pretty much completely identified with each other, and next year we'll see them try to replace that actor. We'll see how that goes...

Except that comparison suffers the same problems as the Superman one I mentioned... The new TREK film will more or less be a 'reboot' or 'reinvention', rather than the continuing stories of an aging Kirk. But you're right, I don't really think either situation is precedented. I just think that between the 2 options, audiences would swallow the new-character pill much easier than a new actor as Indy.

If recasting is in the cards, they could always go back to their first choice for Indy. I don't think Tom Selleck is doing much these days, and he still looks great despite his age! :)

edit: Just thought of an example of a franchise where one iconic character 'passes the torch' to a new character and/or actor... It's happened a few times within the Terminator franchise, and looks like it will happen again with Terminator 4. That's not to say it's necessarily been a success, but it does speak to the issue of precedent.

edit 2: Sitting here staring at my Sideshow figures I just thought of another instance of interesting actor-swapping within a franchise: Frankenstein. :frank

uscmhicks
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I seriously wouldn't be surprised. :lol

tomandshell
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM

There wasn't really an actual torch passing, but this series continued without its main character:

http://www.impawards.com/1994/posters/next_karate_kid.jpg

customizerwannabe
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I've been pondering this lately. Odds are awfully good that this is our last true Indy film. While I think Ford can pull it off this time, he's not coming back in a couple years or more to do another. Clearly, Lucas is hoping Mutt takes off, and they can continue the series using him. In fact, I'd be mighty surprised if a second film with Shia wasn't already being planned.

But how do you have Indy exit gracefully? Should he simply hang up the whip and settle down with Marion, or would you prefer a more heroic end?

It's a tough call. I think that done right, the death of Indy could be one of the greatest moments in film history. But the key here is 'done right'. Anything cheesy (and it would be so, so hard for them not to do it cheesy) would ruin it. Let's face it, Lucas did everything he could to ruin the once ultimate villain, Vader, I'm not sure I want to see what he and Speilberg would do to the ultimate hero, Indy, in a dramatic ending.

What do you think?

Ford has already stated he is ready to do another Indy film if offered the opportunity.

doesitmatter
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Sitting here staring at my Sideshow figures I just thought of another instance of interesting actor-swapping within a franchise: Frankenstein. :frank

Good example but I consider Frankenstein to be like Superman or James Bond. It's adapted from another source so it's easier to recast. Before Harrison Ford Indiana Jones did not EXIST in any sense.

The Josh
05-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Lots of people, including hard core fans, have said this movie will fail because Ford is simply too old. So what that says is Indy can't be Indy unless he's Ford AND he's between the ages of 35 and 45. I ain't buying it. I do think it would be tremendously difficult for them to find the right person to do it, and they couldn't do it any time soon after KOTCS. But I think it's doable.

One thing I read in the EW article was Ford saying that someone needs to remind Indy Fans they're older too. Indy is Indy and can do whatever. I find it absurd at best to say this movie will fail just because he's older. I for one am thinking we're all gonna be extremely happy with this Indy flick.

Andy Bergholtz
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Good example but I consider Frankenstein to be like Superman or James Bond. It's adapted from another source so it's easier to recast. Before Harrison Ford Indiana Jones did not EXIST in any sense.

Good point!

Entropy
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Even though the 93 year old one-eyed Indy in my avatar has been written out of the canon, Indy will never die on screen and it would be a serious mistake to do so.

Harrison has stated he would like to come back for another film, which could happen but they better start making it within the next 5 years. Seeing Ford in the trailer and interviews put to rest any doubts I had about his age. He looks better now than he has in the last several years.

Eventually there will be final film though. I'd like to see something open ended but classy like the sunset TLC ending. No retirement, no "hanging up the whip" business.

What I predict will happen is that Indy will literally pass the hat to Mutt in this film ala TLC scene then we'll see another Indy film in 3-5 years with Mutt more in the picture and Harrison back as Indy, still part of the big adventure story but playing more of a supporting role like Sean Connery did in TLC.

A stand alone Mutt Williams movies with no Harrison? I don't really see it in the cards, but it is possible.

Darth Caedus
05-08-2008, 05:02 PM
He won't die.

The Monster
05-08-2008, 05:29 PM
No Ford would=CRAP

Agent0028
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM

That's what I was thinking about the comparison between Bond and Indy, Bond was a literary character first and well known and popular that way before Connery filled his shoes. Indy on the other hand has only been Harrison Ford.

I've never seen the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but I was thinking about getting the DVD's. Why was Old Indy removed? I don't know what role he had in it, but it seems like it would be pretty cool having him in it.

doesitmatter
05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I just wish the old Indy scenes were included as extras. I've seen a few on youtube and they were really interesting.

Entropy
05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
GL ultimately decided he didn't want to show Indy as a decrepit one-eyed old codger.

piccolodaimaoh
05-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Harrison Ford has said in an interview, I don't know if it was in Playboy or some other magazine, that he would definitely do another Indy movie if the opportunity comes. Unless they do some sort of prequel or flash backs to when Indy was alive I don't think they would be able to have him in the next movie if he dies in Crystal Skull.

Either way I don't think they would ever kill Indy in these films. I mean, theses aren't those kind of movies. The hero never dies in these old time serials.

devilof76
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Either way I don't think they would ever kill Indy in these films. I mean, theses aren't those kind of movies. The hero never dies in these old time serials.

That's the truth. And part of why the idea of him dying was attractive to me. The emotional impact would be brutal.

But it's not really necessary, or appropriate. In art, the hero should never die.

YoNoSe
05-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Indy should have some crazy supernatural death. Then in the next movie, Mutt will have to travel all over the globe to get the necessary items to bring him back - his man purse is inside a pyramid, his jacket is up a tree in South America, his whip frozen in ice in the arctic, and his hat is inside the Mission Impossible secret security room in Marcus' museum. His sidekicks could be Short Round and Brody's hot granddaughter. Of course, this would only work if, at the same time, the Germans were running a parallel mission to resurrect Hitler. And the stage is set for the ultimate super-zombie battle between good and evil.
SUMMER 2010!!!

Agent0028
05-09-2008, 07:28 AM
GL ultimately decided he didn't want to show Indy as a decrepit one-eyed old codger.

Too bad, I think it sounds pretty cool. But maybe that's just because I like listening to old people tell their stories (so long as they have interesting ones and don't tell the same one over and over :lol).

Andy Bergholtz
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM

But isn't that exactly what he's giving us in Indy 4?

ZING!

Kidding....Kidding.... :D

mindbook
05-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I dunno Andy,
besides the obvious graying and skin sagging, he looks pretty good(from the still shots) He might not beat me in a 100yd dash, but he looks like he could put up a pretty good fight...
http://webhome.idirect.com/~totton/Animated/fight.gif

Andy Bergholtz
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I dunno Andy,
besides the obvious graying and skin sagging, he looks pretty good(from the still shots) He might not beat me in a 100yd dash, but he looks like he could put up a good fight.

Oh I totally agree with ya, I think he slipped back into the role seamlessly. I just can't pass up a really bad joke when I see one. :)

JAWS
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Killing off Indiana Jones would be the worst thing ever done in the History of Movies!!!

There is no good way to do it. I don't want to even know if he dies in his 90's a happy old man. Indy needs to live forever!

Seretur
05-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Indy will never die.

The Kurgan, of course, already has.

Agent0028
05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
There is no good way to do it. I don't want to even know if he dies in his 90's a happy old man. Indy needs to live forever!

Maybe he and Jack Sparrow can team up to find the fountain of youth. Or I suppose re-find for Jack as he should be dead by the 1960's. :lol

I remember way back when the movie was first being talked about people said Indy has a daughter. Where does that come from? Young Indy Chronicles, the novels, something else? Thanks!

Minimodel
05-12-2008, 02:04 AM
After all he s been through and survived,the only way they could show Indiana Jones death on screen would be for him to be hit by a bus whilst crossing the road.Perfect closure.