What if Indy dies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been pondering this lately. Odds are awfully good that this is our last true Indy film. While I think Ford can pull it off this time, he's not coming back in a couple years or more to do another. Clearly, Lucas is hoping Mutt takes off, and they can continue the series using him. In fact, I'd be mighty surprised if a second film with Shia wasn't already being planned.

But how do you have Indy exit gracefully? Should he simply hang up the whip and settle down with Marion, or would you prefer a more heroic end?

It's a tough call. I think that done right, the death of Indy could be one of the greatest moments in film history. But the key here is 'done right'. Anything cheesy (and it would be so, so hard for them not to do it cheesy) would ruin it. Let's face it, Lucas did everything he could to ruin the once ultimate villain, Vader, I'm not sure I want to see what he and Speilberg would do to the ultimate hero, Indy, in a dramatic ending.

What do you think?

I don't want there to be any closure for the character in this movie. This is just another one of his many adventures. Let Indy live on in the hearts and minds of the fans.

I say we see him in the old folks home with Marion playing canasta.. that would be a good ending for him. Just let him retire.

I don't think they'll kill him off. Killing a character changes the way people see him (or her) when they go back and watch the previous movies. George Lucas doesn't like killing his characters off because of this. I heard Harrison really pushed to have Han Solo killed off in Return of the Jedi but Lucas refused because he wanted to keep things fun, not depressing. So I don't think he'll ever kill off Indiana Jones, cause Indy = fun (and adventure!)

I wouldn't say that he ruined Vader really. I think what happened was that he created this character of Vader that was supposed to be pure evil and tragic, but then fans unexpectedly started worshipping him. Lucas is very wholesome and is always worried about how his movies will affect children if you listen to his commentary, so I think the reason he did what he did with Anakin was because that's what he always intended Vader to be, not the super-badass image that the fans bestowed on him.

If it can be done right and the other angle plays off well (Mutt Angle) then maybe as long as Spielberg is making the decision then it could. Not that I don't trust Lucas because I like what he did to Vader. He gave him something more than just some dude in a black suit I just wouldn't want him making this decision alone.

Confirmed by Harrison Ford himself (and joked about by Lucas) in the EW article:

Indy does not die in KOTCS.

Okay, so I guess I had to make the font bigger? :huh

Last edited:
A heroic death for Indy would be the best possible ending for the films. What would royally screw it up is if he passed the mantle onto his son and they made more movies. If Indy is dead, then he's dead. That's it. Finit. The end.

And Lucas didn't screw up Vader. It made perfect sense. Every villain is a whiny-ass puss at heart. The bigger the villain, the bigger the puss.

Confirmed by Harrison Ford himself (and joked about by Lucas) in the EW article:

Indy does not die in KOTCS.

Okay, so I guess I had to make the font bigger? :huh

Right we know that but I think Mike meant in the next Indy film if they do a next Indy film.

Back