Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
The release date was locked in let us discuss the rumors that are now surfacing:

From Cinemablend

Marvel Studios just announced that they were bringing The First Avenger: Captain America into theatres May 6, 2011, and while that day is far off, it hasn't stopped speculation about who would play the star-spangled Avenger. According to Cinema Blend, Matthew McConaughey may be one of the names at the top of the list - perhaps placed there by the fact that the actor's name has often been at the top of fan polls for their pick of who to play the character.

Physically, McConaughey fits the bill for the character perfectly. He's blonde-haired, blue-eyed, square-jawed and buff. What makes this a bit more uncertain is McConaughey's acting history and public persona. The actor is known for being laid-back and, well, "dirty" - hardly the embodiment of the American Dream that Cap is supposed to be.

On the other hand, Captain America has often been criticized for being too clean-cut and patriotic, and being out-of-touch and inaccessible to modern fans. So perhaps McConaughey would be able to breathe excitement into the role for The First Avenger: Captain America.

It should be noted that this is still rumor at this point - McConaughey's name is at the top of the list being considered, but nothing has been signed or confirmed at this point.

In the comics, Captain America is actually Steve Rogers, a patriotic young man during the days of World War II who was rejected by the army for being physically unfit. Officials were so impressed with the young man's enthusiasm that they enlisted him in a top-secret Super Soldier program to transform him into the pinnacle of human fitness. Transformed, Captain America fought in the War and was then put into suspended animation until the modern day. Re-awakened in a strange new world, Cap still fights for truth and justice and the American way as the leader of the Avengers.

Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

awesome!!! i think Neil McDonough should play captain america. he also fits the bill. he's got the build, but isn't Arnold buff. blonde hair, blue eyes... and isn't an A list actor that everyone is gonna critique when watching.

THE FIRST AVENGER is a horrible, horrible title and better be changed soon. At least they were sure to say it's just the "working title", though. But even then, it's dumb. During WWII, Cap isn't an "avenger"... he's a super soldier. And he's not even the first member to actually join the Avengers after he's found in modern times. Just WTF is up with that title? :monkey4

What's wrong with the just CAPTAIN AMERICA? :huh

I don't mind the title, but thank god they are following the original storyline!!!! I'm so frakkin glad they are doing that. This could be another amazing movie if it gets the same attention to detail as IM!!

relax... i don't think they will keep the first avenger part. i think its just a tag to spark interest with the iron man publicity now.

I dont think this title will stay, and Matthew McConaughey would have been a good choice........but 10 years ago...He's getting a bit old now...Brad Pitt also would have made a good choice blond ,blue eyes, can be skinny or buff if he wants...but again too old now...No I think they gonna take a new young actor....They will probably think they need to sign up an actor for 3 movies...

^^yup they need someone who can be able to put the suit on for the next 10 years or so.

Not a fan of Matthew here but I think Vin Diesel will kick ass as Cappy! Can't imagine him with hair tho... LOL

Not a fan of Matthew here but I think Vin Diesel will kick ass as Cappy! Can't imagine him with hair tho... LOL

Vin Diesel as Captain America? Are you crazy?? In no way, shape or form should he be Captain America. That would be a disgrace. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

I don't like the idea of McConaughey playing Cap. Doesn't he usually do comedies? I prefer Hairless' suggestion of McDonough.

Vin Diesel as Captain America? Are you crazy?? In no way, shape or form should he be Captain America. That would be a disgrace. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.
I agree, Cap needs to be a white boy. :D Matthew McConaughey sounds like a good choice to me. PLEASE no Vin Diesel for this!!

I don't think any actor is too old as long as he is physically fit. Look at Downey, he's 43 and pulled it off beautifully. It might make more sense to get an actor in his mid to late 30s doing amazing stuff and really sell the Super Solider idea.....

Yeah, no Vin Diesel! Not for this movie! But on that had, I picked up PB and COR last night in HD-DVD and PB looked so frakkin amazing!!

I right now cannot seem to think of a good actor for either Cap or Thor. I think the guy needs to be big in the first place, so maybe the guy who plyed Leonidas or Eric Bana for either role.

neal-mcdonough-2004-nbc-all-star-party-arrivals-1oNGC4.jpg

:flag:flag:flag:flag:flag

:D

He would definitely work! Maybe not in the very beginning of the movie for young Cap, but for the majority of it!!!!!

Casting is the most important thing when dealing with these type of films! One false move and Blam.. you get GiJoe!

I think with Marvel in full control of their movies now, hopefully that will not be a problem. I think IM proves that point! Excellent job!

...at least physically

Back